PDA

View Full Version : Cut with what and how much?

blux
05-07-2007, 10:49
Hello all,
I am a newbie to this site and to bourbon. I have been drinking my bourbon neat but have heard about the different tasts and aromas that are released with the addition of water. Ok, I'd like to try that but, what kind of water and how much. What brand of water do you prefer, is it distilled, ionized, de-ionized, creek, tap, spring, sparkling... what?

The second question being how much? I realize that this is probably a balancing act that is personal but I would like a starting point if at all possible.

My small stock includes:
Makers Mark - This is the first bourbon that I tried.
Blanton's - Really like this
Ridgemont Reserve 1792.
G. T. Stagg - Purchased today.

I have also tried:
Knob Creek
Woodford Reserve
I liked both of these.

Thanks for the help and it is great to be here. I have learned quite a bit by reading many of these posts. There is an unbelievable wealth of knowledge here.
Barron.

ILLfarmboy
05-07-2007, 11:33
welcome, Blux

In my opinion reverse osmoses is the best. But really any water that is free of Iron, sufficiently soft and characterless will work. If you would use it for coffee/tea I wouldn't hesitate to add it to your whiskey.

What year is the Stagg (you can tell by the proof) by cross referencing it with what has been posted on this sight. Just do a little search. Let us know what you think.

blux
05-07-2007, 11:52
The Stagg is the '06 version. I did see the thread about the proof of the year.
Barron.

blux
05-07-2007, 11:58
Brad,
How much would you recommend?
Barron.

ILLfarmboy
05-07-2007, 12:21
As an example adding .5 oz. of water to 1.5 oz of 140.6 proof Stagg brings it down to a little under 110 proof. So it doesn't take much. Add a little bit at a time to whatever your drinking and see what you like best. If you add too much and it seems overly dilute you can always add ice and a bit more water. It would be called a bourbon and branch. It's good that way too! Experiment and have fun.

jwrussell
05-07-2007, 12:31
The Stagg is the '06 version. I did see the thread about the proof of the year.
Barron.

I have two things to say about this:

First. This is horrible bourbon. Immediately box it up and mail it to me, I'll be happy to pay shipping to save you from this assault on your tastebuds.
:horseshit:

Second, if I can't fool you with the above, immediately Run, don't walk, to wherever you picked up that bottle and get another!
:yum:

blux
05-07-2007, 13:20
You're a kidder! Part of the reason that I bought it was because it was the last one on the shelf. I couldn't just leave it there could I?
Barron.

OscarV
05-07-2007, 14:28
The second question being how much? I realize that this is probably a balancing act that is personal but I would like a starting point if at all possible.

Barron.

If you go to the opening page of SB.com you'll see the FAQ.
The answer to No. 7 has a calulator so that you can get exact measurements for the proof you want.

ggilbertva
05-07-2007, 17:57
You're a kidder! Part of the reason that I bought it was because it was the last one on the shelf. I couldn't just leave it there could I?
Barron.

There's six bottles of '06 Stagg sitting on the shelf of a local ABC. I have 4 bottles bunkered right now so not gonna pick any more up for a while...not at $55 each.

bobbyc
05-07-2007, 20:18
If you go to the opening page of SB.com you'll see the FAQ.
The answer to No. 7 has a calulator so that you can get exact measurements for the proof you want.

It also is a stickied post at the beginning of the Tasting forum.

jwrussell
05-08-2007, 07:25
There's six bottles of '06 Stagg sitting on the shelf of a local ABC. I have 4 bottles bunkered right now so not gonna pick any more up for a while...not at $55 each.

Damn! I'd clear half of that out in a heart beat. I just payed $60 down here and I can't find the stuff anywhere.

CrispyCritter
05-08-2007, 21:27
Part of the reason that I bought it was because it was the last one on the shelf. I couldn't just leave it there could I?

You're learning fast! :toast: Welcome aboard...

MGades
05-08-2007, 23:54
I use distilled water actually, but I really have not done a lot of blind taste testing using alternatives. I do it as more of a safeguard against minerals screwing up the flavor.
My tap water is lousy and the distilled bottled water is the same price as the others so I don't see any reason not to use distilled.

You often see that "pure limestone spring water" like what can be found in Kentucky is an essential component in Bourbon, so apparently iron is bad for Bourbon.

Does anybody know why iron in the water is bad for Bourbon?

As far as dilution, use the calculator previously mentioned and aim for an alcohol level that you like. It seems like a typical range might be 80-100 proof.

melting
05-18-2007, 17:04
I'll say that I have never added water to a to a glass of bourbon, whiskey or whatever. I do however put one or two ice cubes into the glass before pouring.

This is generally because I prefer my drinks to be cold. Putting the bottle in the fridge or freezer before hand is not practical due to the number of bottles on hand and the fact that I don't know what I will be drinking until I scan the selection.

My preference is generally more ice for the lower end drinks such as Jim Beam, Evan Williams, cheaper blended scotch etc. I just find them more enjoyable that way.

Less ice is added to all of the WT offerings and all the higher proof bourbons. Usually just one small cube to cool things down slightly.

Stangely, I don't care for any ice in most of the single malt scotches. I think it just about kills Ardbeg.

Chris

RoyalWater
06-01-2007, 21:04
You might consider cutting with club soda. Many brands are nothing but carbonated water. Some add minerals to approximate (theoretically) Perrier, Gerolsteiner, Appolonaris, S. Pellegrino, etc. What is more fun (I think) than playing with water/soda is altering the temperature of the drink.