PDA

View Full Version : Books, and what should be next.

notyetasmokejumper
05-17-2007, 11:33
Not new to the forum, but I haven't posted much.

Over the past couple of years I have poured and tasted, Bulleit, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve and Ridgemont Reserve 1792. I rarely have more than two bottles on hand at one time due to space and budget constraints. It is now time for another bottle, based upon what I have tasted already any suggestions? Should it be the BOTM, the Four Roses?

On another topic, I have read Bourbon Straight and found it an enjoyable book, I currently have the Jim Beam story on order and OTW, do you all have any other reccomendations for bourbon related reading material?

Uncle Bob
05-17-2007, 13:33
Of the bourbons you have poured what did you like or dislike?

As to reading materials this site has proven invaluable to me! Lots of information, interesting discussion etc. Learn to use the search feature there is a plethora of information here.

jwrussell
05-17-2007, 13:41
Like Bob said, would help to know what you liked/disliked out of the ones you tasted, or at least which ones you preferred.

If you liked the Knob Creek I'd recommend Baker's for sure. Younger than the KC, but still a similiar base of flavors. Unfortunately that's the only one out of your list I've tasted besides the WR and I didn't care for it. Assuming Buffalo Trace has some similiarities with some of the other bourbons from the distillary it is named after, you might try Eagle Rare 10 year Single Barrel, or if you can find it the Eagle Rare 17 year from the Antique collection (though it's about 30-40 dollars more than the ER10yr).

notyetasmokejumper
05-18-2007, 10:39
Of those recently tasted, Knob Creek was probably my favorite with Bulleit in second place. Buffalo Trace finished kinda weak, Woodford Reserve was for me unremarkable. The Knob Creek, tasted clean, finished neat, and made me happy.

jwrussell
05-18-2007, 11:46
OK, I definately recommend Baker's then. It's part of the same collection and in my opinion has alot in common with the Knob Creek. It's 3 years younger so it's a little more in your face. It's also got an incredible "nose". I've been told Booker's is another to try from the same collection. Unfortunately, both are more expensive than KC.

As I stated, I can't comment on the Bulleit as I haven't had any.

melting
05-18-2007, 17:22
I can't believe you haven't tried or have been recommended any of the Wild Turkey variations. Plain WT101 has got to be one of the best values out there at around $15.00 for 750ml.

If cost is a concern, which it usually is, I'd go for that and then maybe try some Wild Turkey Rye for a little change of pace. It goes for about 2 bucks more a bottle around here but still a great deal for the money.

Chris

jcusey
05-19-2007, 09:51
On another topic, I have read Bourbon Straight and found it an enjoyable book, I currently have the Jim Beam story on order and OTW, do you all have any other reccomendations for bourbon related reading material?

You might want to check out Michael Jackson's Whiskey: The Definitive World Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Whiskey-Definitive-World-Michael-Jackson/dp/0789497107/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-1525867-9390522?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179589757&sr=1-1). Its emphasis is on Scotch, but there's a lot of good stuff in there about whiskey-making in general and about American whiskey.

Uncle Bob
05-20-2007, 08:53
If you liked KC then you might wanna try JBBL
If you liked Bulleit you might wanna try OGD BIB
The Wild Turkey 101 ya need to try also...

Enjoy!

notyetasmokejumper
05-21-2007, 09:51
Thank you, Gentlemen. Should be picking up a bottle this week. I'll let you know what it is and my impressions.

mozilla
05-30-2007, 07:27
Not new to the forum, but I haven't posted much.

Over the past couple of years I have poured and tasted, Bulleit, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve and Ridgemont Reserve 1792. I rarely have more than two bottles on hand at one time due to space and budget constraints. It is now time for another bottle, based upon what I have tasted already any suggestions? Should it be the BOTM, the Four Roses?

As far as books go, I've really enjoyed Sam Cecils' book. His son still works at Barton in Bardstown. On the bourbon choices: Wild Turkey Rye is superb. Tom Moore has a unique bouqet and flavor, it's kin to Ridgemont Res. If you were not a big fan of BT then maybe thier other mash bill would fit your pallet, try AAA(ancient ancient age) ten year or ten star. I picked up a bottle of ten star from 1988, on a recent trip, and it is wonderful. I don't drink many Beam bottlings, too much $ for any of thier flavorful offerings. Also, didn't care for Bulleit on my first tasting but did like every other Four Roses product.

bobbyc
05-31-2007, 19:54
I haven't read all the Bourbon books available but of what I have read, I keep going back to Bluegrass Belles and Bourbon, and But Always Fine Bourbon.
I wouldn't pass up a chance to read Nothing Better in the Market, good luck finding a copy, I'm ashamed to admit what I paid for mine...........

There's a copy available at present for 65.00. Google the title + John Ed Pearce it should turn up, PM me and I'll tell you exactly where it Was/is.

I didn't beat that price either but I didn't pay shipping.

It also turns out to be in 63 libraries world wide, if you live fairly close to a big town there's a copy nearby.

camduncan
05-31-2007, 21:12
I haven't read all the Bourbon books available but of what I have read, I keep going back to Bluegrass Belles and Bourbon, and But Always Fine Bourbon.
I wouldn't pass up a chance to read Nothing Better in the Market, good luck finding a copy, I'm ashamed to admit what I paid for mine...........

There's a copy available at present for 65.00. Google the title + John Ed Pearce it should turn up, PM me and I'll tell you exactly where it Was/is.

I didn't beat that price either but I didn't pay shipping.

It also turns out to be in 63 libraries world wide, if you live fairly close to a big town there's a copy nearby.

I can put my hands on 4 copies (via the web).... assuming they are still in stock.

notyetasmokejumper
06-03-2007, 08:13
I'll take a look for those books. Thank you.

Went and got a bottle of JBBL, and a bottle of Bookers. And that's all the allowance I'm given to spend. The Black Label is great, to me more caramel-ly than the white label which is the taste I prefer. The Bookers...Wow. I've only had one small glass...neat. More details to come.

scopenut
06-10-2007, 06:41

I can recommend But Always Fine Bourbon, a very interesting tale of the Van Winkle history.

-Kevin