PDA

View Full Version : Hello from CT

NickAtMartinis
06-06-2007, 06:52
Hello all,

I'm a big fan of Bourbon. Started out drinking Scotch, but then was turned on to Bourbon when drinking PVW20. Then I tried the PVW23, Hirsch 16 and a bunch of others. Personally, I found trying to find a good Scotch not only expensive but difficult. To me, there was just too much convolusion with Scotch between distilleries and brands that were on the market. It seemed very difficult to me to track down which brand(s) went with which distillery. So, I decided to make a switch, for the sake of the wallet and the annoyance.

The first bottle of Bourbon I tried was Maker's Mark. My first impression was it tasted like shoe leather soaking in rubbing alcohol. My second, third, fourth and final impression was the same! After this bad experience, I decided to stay away from Bourbon for a while, until my wife and I were in NY for the weekend last year around this time. We were at the King Cole bar (I forget the name of the Hotel it's attached to) and I figured I'd try to most expensive Bourbon on the drink menu which turned out to be none other than PVW20 - I never heard of it at the time and thought it to be a strange name. I think it cost me $40-$50 or something like that!:shocked: Anyway, from that point forward I have loved Bourbon and will not, I repeat, will not purchase another bottle of Scotch again.:grin:

Most recently, I purchased a bottle of Knob Creek and thought it was pretty darn good for the price. Today I shall be purchasing a bottle of Bookers, PVW20 and some Lot B. I can't wait.:grin:

Anyway, hello to you all and if you have any questions or would like to advise me on future purchases, please do not hesitate to contact me. Also, if any of you are from the New Haven, CT area, please feel free to contact me in any thread or via a PM to discuss locations to buy great Bourbon.

Regards,

Mark Brown

Martian
06-06-2007, 10:37
Mark, looks like you are off to good start. I am gradually moving up to the more expensive bottles. You are starting at the top.

ggilbertva
06-06-2007, 10:58
Welcome Mark. As Martian said, you're making a good start but don't rob yourself of the many less expensive bourbons on the market that are outstanding, Weller Antique 107 for instance ($19). Plus, the $$ goes much further if you find some mid to low shelf bourbons that you like. Take the time to read through the website and learn from those that have been here since the dawn of time....it helped me quite a bit when I started out. Good luck.

Bob O.
06-06-2007, 11:57
Welcome, Mark. You are off to a great start. As Greg mentioned, don't forget all of the great Bourbon values out there as well. Coming from a Scotch background, you would be surprised what $20 buys you in the Bourbon world.

NickAtMartinis
06-06-2007, 12:29
Welcome, Mark. You are off to a great start. As Greg mentioned, don't forget all of the great Bourbon values out there as well. Coming from a Scotch background, you would be surprised what $20 buys you in the Bourbon world.

That's very true. Coming from Scotch, Bourbon is relatively inexpensive. Thanks for the advice from all of you. Starting from the top and working down can't be the way to go, but don't worry, it doesn't have to be expensive to be good. I will certainly try many others including those on the mid and lower shelves.

Weller Antique 107 for instance ($19).

Thanks Greg, I will give it a try. the Antique 107 was one that I saw today as well.

ggilbertva
06-06-2007, 14:43
Thanks Greg, I will give it a try. the Antique 107 was one that I saw today as well.

If you don't like the Weller, go ahead and mail it me......

NickAtMartinis
06-06-2007, 17:43

If you don't like the Weller, go ahead and mail it me......

:lol: