PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Whiskey

SSBourbon1
06-08-2007, 21:55
I got the chance to visit Binnys earlier this week. I picked up a bottle of Colorado Whiskey. It looks like a young whiskey, internet search shows that it seems popular and liked, but do not know much else about it. I will be trying it soon as I have some other bottles that I really want to open first. The company that makes it is stranahams.com

Any comments or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

robbyvirus
06-08-2007, 22:53
I'm currently in Denver and I saw a bunch of this on the shelf in a liquor store. I'm curious, but I'll wait to hear waht others think before I shell out the money. I also saw a blackberry-flavored whiskey for sale made somewhere in Colorado. Can't remember then name. I passed.

cowdery
06-09-2007, 14:41
Run a search on "stranahans" ("n" not "m") and you'll find a bit more information. It has been discussed a few times here and a few people here tried it at Whiskey Fest Chicago.

doubleblank
06-09-2007, 15:02
We did indeed try it at WhiskeyFest. It's whiskey. It's young. It's decent enough. It's expensive. Those are my simple recollections. I'd try it at a bar and pass on the bottle purchase.

Randy

BourbonJoe
06-10-2007, 07:32
We did indeed try it at WhiskeyFest. It's whiskey. It's young. It's decent enough. It's expensive. Those are my simple recollections. I'd try it at a bar and pass on the bottle purchase.

Randy

I agree.
Joe :usflag:

sku
06-22-2007, 10:30
It's decent enough stuff, light and sort of bourbon like, but nothing spectacular. I'll be reviewing it along with three other American single malts on my blog next Wednesday (every Wednesday is Whiskey Wednesday).

www.recenteats.blogspot.com (http://www.recenteats.blogspot.com)

AVB
06-22-2007, 21:38
I liked it a lot. It is an american single malt that should be outstanding once it ages out to 10 years or so.

Grain Brain
09-13-2007, 12:03
Tastes more like a clean, non-peated scotch to me, with lots of fresh young wood in the nose.

The Flying Dog brewery in Denver makes the all barley mash, then sends it next door to the Stranahan distillery.

I personally thought it was great, and couldn't leave Denver without a bottle. Echoing what AVB said, it'll be interesting to see how it ages, provided Stranahans was that forward thinking and has some surplus shored up in barrels.

Sweetmeats
09-13-2007, 15:54
I was thinking about buying a bottle when I'm in Denver next week. What's the price?

sku
09-13-2007, 18:02
I was thinking about buying a bottle when I'm in Denver next week. What's the price?

Around $50 per bottle. You can now pick it up in Southern California as well. I believe they carry it at Hi-Times Wines in Costa Mesa...pretty convenient for you.

Virus_Of_Life
09-14-2007, 01:03
Around $50 per bottle. You can now pick it up in Southern California as well. I believe they carry it at Hi-Times Wines in Costa Mesa...pretty convenient for you.

Yep, or you could buy my open, but full bottle minus one pour from me for 20 bucks!

I couldn't finish the one pour I had, it tasted like distilled 4 day old stale beer to me... Sorry just being honest.

Sweetmeats
09-14-2007, 15:32
Looks like I'll have my company treat me to a shot before I decide to personally buy a bottle.

And yeah, Hitime is real close. I just wondered if it was cheaper in the actual state it is made in.

hxmiller
09-19-2007, 14:50
Yep, or you could buy my open, but full bottle minus one pour from me for 20 bucks!

I couldn't finish the one pour I had, it tasted like distilled 4 day old stale beer to me... Sorry just being honest.

It's a 100% Barley Whiskey. I tasted that beer as well. IMHO it's not worth $55 a bottle. If they'd only aged it past 2 years.

craigthom
09-21-2007, 15:58
It sounds as if it might be like Glenora: pretty good, but priced for the novelty of it.

Sweetmeats
09-24-2007, 10:02
They apparently age the whiskey in used beer casks.

I went to the distillery but it was closed. Then went next door and had a taste of it. I enjoyed it actually but it's not worth 50+ bucks.

cowdery
09-25-2007, 20:12
I seem to recall him saying it is aged in new, charred barrels. So at least in that sense he is operating in the American tradition, though in making a malt whiskey he is not.

Still, comparing it, either for taste or for value, with a bourbon or other characteristic American whiskey seems meaningless. I would like to hear a knowledgable scotch drinker compare it to a comparably-priced single malt.

I suspect the comparison to Glenora is apt, although Glenora is trying in every way except geographically to make a true single malt scotch. The Stranahan's guy is more of a free spirit doing his own thing, not worrying too much about any tradition.

I sure hope all these people who are selling these very young whiskeys also left some of their stock in wood so they can eventually offer older expressions, which will give us a much better idea if they are on to something or not.

So far, though, the American craft distilling movement has shown us nothing.

sku
09-25-2007, 22:21
I seem to recall him saying it is aged in new, charred barrels. So at least in that sense he is operating in the American tradition, though in making a malt whiskey he is not.

Still, comparing it, either for taste or for value, with a bourbon or other characteristic American whiskey seems meaningless. I would like to hear a knowledgable scotch drinker compare it to a comparably-priced single malt.

I suspect the comparison to Glenora is apt, although Glenora is trying in every way except geographically to make a true single malt scotch. The Stranahan's guy is more of a free spirit doing his own thing, not worrying too much about any tradition.

I sure hope all these people who are selling these very young whiskeys also left some of their stock in wood so they can eventually offer older expressions, which will give us a much better idea if they are on to something or not.

So far, though, the American craft distilling movement has shown us nothing.

It really tastes nothing like a Scotch single malt. If anything, the taste is more similar to a Bourbon, though frutier. In fact, I've tasted four American single malts and none of them taste anything like Scotch, even those that claim to use Scottish barley or peat (Stranahan's uses all Colorado barley).

The American malt producers seem to be going for an entirely different flavor profile, and in someways are looking more toward American whiskey than Scotch single malts. Time (and age) will tell if the American single malts develop a following or are a flash in the whiskey pan.

Of the four I tasted, I should say that while none were overly impressive, I liked Stranahan's the best, and I think it could well be very good after another few years in the barrel.

tango-papa
09-26-2007, 07:04
It really tastes nothing like a Scotch single malt. If anything, the taste is more similar to a Bourbon, though frutier. In fact, I've tasted four American single malts and none of them taste anything like Scotch, even those that claim to use Scottish barley or peat (Stranahan's uses all Colorado barley).

The American malt producers seem to be going for an entirely different flavor profile, and in someways are looking more toward American whiskey than Scotch single malts. Time (and age) will tell if the American single malts develop a following or are a flash in the whiskey pan.

Of the four I tasted, I should say that while none were overly impressive, I liked Stranahan's the best, and I think it could well be very good after another few years in the barrel.

sku,

I'm curious to hear which others you've tasted and your thoughts on those as well.
I also look forward to the (potential) opportunity of tasting some of these after they've had time to mature. While many poo-poo these, I think it's great that new attempts are being made in the world of whisk(e)y!

~tp

sku
09-26-2007, 10:08
sku,

I'm curious to hear which others you've tasted and your thoughts on those as well.
I also look forward to the (potential) opportunity of tasting some of these after they've had time to mature. While many poo-poo these, I think it's great that new attempts are being made in the world of whisk(e)y!

~tp

Here's a link to my tasting (warning, I suck at tasting notes): http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2007/06/whiskey-wednesday-american-single-malts.html

craigthom
09-26-2007, 16:55
I suspect the comparison to Glenora is apt, although Glenora is trying in every way except geographically to make a true single malt scotch.

Right down to importing the malted barley, unless I badly misunderstood what the guide said when I toured the place five years ago. There may well not be anyone in Canada malting barley over peat, but there wasn't much peat in the taste of the whisky. The equipment is from Scotland, the barley is from Scotland, and the yeast is probably from Scotland. It's as if they bought a big "make your own Scotch! Just add water!" kit.

The thing that turned me into that annoying guy on the tour, though, was the guide's claim that they aged the whisky in used bourbon barrels from Jack Daniels.

cowdery
09-26-2007, 21:39
They probably do age it in used barrels from Jack Daniel's, though I suppose your point was his use of the word "bourbon."

Just add water is right. Since you've visited there, you know the people there have all convinced themselves it is Scotland, just a piece that somehow got detached and relocated.

Grain Brain
09-27-2007, 00:19
The American malt producers seem to be going for an entirely different flavor profile...

I think it's more a case of the indigenous ingredients (barley, yeast, water) contributing to the major difference in flavor. I don't think Stranahan's is going for a specific flavor profile so much as it is going for a native product and seeing what they can crank out.

Oh, and also, I never heard a thing about Jack Daniels barrels when I took the tour. That would absolutely go against their whole mission of producing an exclusively Coloradan product. From their own website, "Stranahan’s starts its ageing process by filling new American white oak barrels, heavily charred..."

The guide that gave craigthom's tour must have been smokin' crack.

cowdery
09-27-2007, 10:14
Glenora in Nova Scotia is the distillery that reported using JD barrels, not Stranahan's.

Grain Brain
09-27-2007, 10:22
Ahh... oops. R.I.F.! :blush:

craigthom
09-28-2007, 06:09
It's not just the folks at Glenora that have convinced themselves it's Scotland, to be fair. It's "Nova Scotia", after all, and there are kilts and Celtic music all over the province, not just on Cape Breton. Glenora fits with the tourism there, giving people somewhere to go (when they aren't salmon fishing).

cowdery
09-28-2007, 12:52
I agree, especially as you go further east, away from the Acadians. I do like Nova Scotia, though, and recommend it to anyone who hasn't been.

gr8erdane
10-03-2007, 11:47
To revisit the passed blackberry flavored whiskey, I recently purchased one for a novelty. They also have a peach flavored whiskey. Here's my take on this novelty:

Name: Rocky Mountain Blackberry Flavored Whiskey
Produced and bottled by Leopold Bros. of Ann Arbor MI.
Description of the whiskey on the bottle (syopsis): They take late summer Rocky Mountain Blackberries and blend them with "their" small batch whiskey.This mix is placed in used bourbon barrels and allowed to mature. It says that the blackberry flavors are pushed to the background by the oak, vanilla and raisin finish of their whiskey (whatever they use).
The proof is 8m and my bottle was hand numbered 07-02 in 750ml with a price tag around 35 bucks.

My tasting experience:
The nose says blackberry cobbler, topped with blackberry syrup. First taste is pretty much the same. So much for being pushed to the background. After the initial blackberry cobbler comes the whiskey burn that is unique to this product in that it is somewhat masked by the strength of the blackberry taste. Finish is dry, and the nose from the still present glass wafts up and says "fruity delicious, taste me again to get rid of that nasty burn" and the second sip, much deeper is exactly the same as the first.
Not a bad product for when your sweet tooth and your whiskey yearning are at a standoff but I can't take it for anything more than a novelty. Now to see if I can find an unadulterated Leopold Bros Small Batch whiskey to compare it to.
As I said, they also had peach so it seems they want to keep with a cobbler theme here. Someday I might buy the Peach on a lark but I don't think the purchase will be unaided by one of it's alcohol natives already camping out in my system.

Further searching on the Internet shows that Leopold Bros is a brewpub that puts out some of its own spirits: Vodka, Gin, these two whiskey products and matching blackberry and peach liqueurs. They say the whiskey used is new make but no mention of what's in the mash.

http://www.leopoldbros.com/index.html

jbaker
02-20-2008, 12:18
Stranahan's finally made it to the Boston area. The store I work for (for the next 7 days) just picked it up and it shelves for $60. I'm going to follow everyone's advice and try to find it in a bar first and save my hard-earned money for something a little older.

I do appreciate the labeling though, each one has something different written in the "comments:" section of the label. This one says "Listening to Bad Luck City" while another says "Riding Elk Meadow." I can't say that I understand it, but I've never really tried to understand the wisdom of George Stranahan. No point in trying, really.

sku
02-20-2008, 13:20
Mine said "listening to Bjork."

Sweetmeats
02-21-2008, 13:42
I take a little tour of the operation last week. Very informal. No one around. Just me and Jake. Pretty decent guy. And it ended with a nice shot of whiskey. Couldn't beat that.

ILLfarmboy
04-11-2008, 15:57
After dismissing this, nearly out of hand, my interest was rekindled after watching the program "modern Marvels" on the History Channel. Has anyone, who hasn't already posted their impressions, tasted this?

Stu
04-11-2008, 22:16
After dismissing this, nearly out of hand, my interest was rekindled after watching the program "modern Marvels" on the History Channel. Has anyone, who hasn't already posted their impressions, tasted this?

Brad,
I don't think I've commented before. Remember I'm a malt lover, so my view may be skewed. I've only had one bottle sent to me by some friends in Colorado. It is definitely a malt whiskey, however I don't think it tastes at all like scotch malt (or Irish). I saw as much difference between this and Irish malt as there is between Tryconnell and Laphroaig. The Colorado malt is different and there is no smoking with peat. Aging in Colorado is far different than aging in Scotland (the difference between the mountains and the sea). I think it needed to be aged a few more years to bring out its best character. I consider it a fifth type of American whiskey (bourbon, Tennessee, rye, corn, and now Colorado). I personally think it is too expensive, but I may well ( and probably will) buy a bottle if it ever comes somewhere near me. Sorry, I don't write tasting notes every time I taste ( but I should). I recall that I thought there was as much difference in the malt flavor as there is between a rye and wheat bourbon. Also I thought it was way too young. Probably as they produce more they may be able to let some age longer. By contrast, I think Glen Breton tastes more like an Irish or lowland malt than an individual style of whiskey (even though they claim to use peated malt imported from the Highlands).
Stu

cowdery
04-12-2008, 11:52
I like it and, make note, because I haven't had too many good things to say about craft distillery products until this point. It is a malt whiskey but it won't remind you of scotch. It is aged in new charred oak barrels, but it won't remind you of bourbon. I think it tastes like anejo tequila, but maybe that's just me.

Is it worth $40 a bottle, for a 2- or 3-year-old whiskey? Well, it's the best of this new breed and unlike many experimental products, even from major distilleries, that you try once and say "that's interesting," Stranahan's is actually pleasant to drink and when I finish this bottle, I might actually desire another.

Most people I know who have tried it agree that it will benefit from additional age and I hope they have held some back for that purpose.

ILLfarmboy
04-16-2008, 13:39
Chuck, after reading your post I decided to see if I couldn't order this from an on-line retailer. I figured if Chuck liked it well enough to praise a micro-distillery, It's got to be worth drinking.:cool: As luck would have it I took my dog down to Peoria this past Monday. After our vet appointment I stopped at a large well stocked liquor store. Well, there behind the glass, where they keep the expensive stuff, were several bottles, one of which came home with me.

Its got a good flavor which reminds me of something between a rye (there is a dryish flash of spice/fruit up front) and malt whisky; a very clean unpeated malt. Good flavor, good but short finish. My only complaint, and it is a minor one, the very tail end of the finish is slightly acrid which prompts me to take another sip instead of enjoying the after-finish.

I don't have my bottle in front of me, but I recall its label said batch number 9. Distilled in 11 of '04

how does this compare with what the rest of you guys have?

AVB
04-16-2008, 17:10
I did a review of this a year ago here (http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32322) if you want to read it,

ILLfarmboy
04-16-2008, 17:17
I did a review of this a year ago here (http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32322) if you want to read it,

A nice review! "Apple butter" is right on.

sysrick
12-28-2008, 21:34
Haven't had a chance to try the Whiskey -- but do like the poster.