PDA

View Full Version : Found a huge stash of grandfathers bourban

2fsplit
06-10-2007, 11:17
First off would like to intorduce my self. My name is Rick from Boston. Recently cleaning out granparents house found HUGE stash of un opened Bourbons and Whiskies and some Scotch in my granfathers "secret room". About 25 hand made crates with unopened bottles from 1950'-1970's. Roughly about 200 bottles!!!! Brands such as Old Grand Dad, Fleischmann's 90%proof,John Crabbie (8year old 86% proof),Old Forester (86%proof), Black & White (scotch),Teachers Highland Cream Scotch Whiskey, Philadelphia 8rs old,ect... ALL of these are sealed unopened and from anywhere from 1950-1970. The bottles are BRAND new! I dont know where he got them or why he had them. But I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on what they might be worth or if they are still good to consume. ANY help would be much appreciated!!!

Kindest Regards,
-Rick in Boston

OscarV
06-10-2007, 11:24
They are worth more drinking than anything else.
I see you have a Fleischmann's, that would be a rye, wouldn't it?

2fsplit
06-10-2007, 11:26
Too be honest, I dont know shit about this stuff. Thats kind of why im here! lol

I drink a lot of Knob Creek if that counts? But definately no pro.

boone
06-10-2007, 11:28
Are you selling them?

wadewood
06-10-2007, 11:28
Please see this post, it was composed and posted just for your situation:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=9&a=3

2fsplit
06-10-2007, 11:29
I would sell them if I knew more about them and what they worth, just trying to learn myself right now as to what I actually have.

Wade, thanks for the link I will check it out.

2fsplit
06-10-2007, 11:44
BJ, do you know where I could sell them?

2fsplit
06-10-2007, 13:58
Well if anyone is interested email me directly rick0123@comcast.net

As of right now they are for sale...

ILLfarmboy
06-10-2007, 15:14
Aren't you interested in drinking them? Your Granddad left you some nice whiskey. Selling it would be like selling his tools.

Rughi
06-10-2007, 15:28
Your Granddad left you some nice whiskey. Selling it would be like selling his tools.

That's the best line for this situation I've heard. It resonates with me.

My prize tool is my grandfather's Skilsaw from the early '60s. Whenever I use it I think about how he downsized to a 6 1/2" Model 367 from the standard 7 1/4" Model 77 because he was trying to finish building a home for my grandmother as his strength declined along with his health. He finished it working partial days on almost no money, and enjoyed a long convalescence in that home as his life played out.

I would look on a cache of old whiskey from my grandfather as a legacy.

Roger

ggilbertva
06-10-2007, 21:10
Who else get's the opportunity to start off their bourbon adventure with a ready made bunker of good old dusties. If it were me, I would be doing a jig and trying to figure out which one to open first.

I like ILLFarmboy's comment. Don't sell them. Drink them and every time you do, enjoy a memory of your Grandfather.

darkluna
06-11-2007, 11:54
A stash of dusty bourbon in a secret room? That's pretty cool. I'm sure a lot of us would like to see a picture of that, if you have one

2fsplit
06-11-2007, 18:16
Im going back this wk end to get the rest. I will take a pic for ya! I have a pic of the 40 or so bottles I have all ready just couldnt figure out how to add it as an attachment here.. Email me directly if you wanna peak.

Cheers!

HD FBOY
06-15-2007, 16:09
I just found this place and this is my first post.

DON"T SELL IT!!!!

You have an opportunity all middle aged sons would die for.

Fisrt let me explain, I lost my dad in 1998. In about 2001 my mom gave me his sterling silver jigger. I don't use it often, usually on a crisp autumn night, on the back patio, usually with JD. Mind you JD is not my favorite whiskey, far from it. My dad quit drinking in the early 80's, he had a problem. But when I am out there on my patio with that jigger of JD, I remember him in his prime, not eaten up with cancer. Memories good and bad, that bring a smile to my face.

Now, you have 200 bottles that may not be your favorite but represent your family history. Consider a day when you have a son or daughter who you can share that with. Every time you open one of those bottles, you can remember your granddad. I can tell you I would give big, big bucks today to be in your position. If you are careful with this stash and add to it as you get older, you will create a legacy of your family going back to the 50's. You can add the spirits of your choice to this stash that your grandchildren, and maybe even your great grandchildren can enjoy. Think of the stories passed down. Damn, I am envious.

Please consider, when you are 50, I guarantee your will regret the sale of this stash. that might represent $4k - $6K to you today. Keep it, pop a seal on special occasions, think about your granddad, your dad, yourself.

If you live to 80, wouldn't it be cool to sit down with your grandson and enjoy a drink of your grandfathers whiskey the evening before he gets married? You have that opportunity don't let it get away.

Special Reserve
06-15-2007, 16:25
I just found this place and this is my first post.

DON"T SELL IT!!!!

You have an opportunity all middle aged sons would die for.

Fisrt let me explain, I lost my dad in 1998. In about 2001 my mom gave me his sterling silver jigger. I don't use it often, usually on a crisp autumn night, on the back patio, usually with JD. Mind you JD is not my favorite whiskey, far from it. My dad quit drinking in the early 80's, he had a problem. But when I am out there on my patio with that jigger of JD, I remember him in his prime, not eaten up with cancer. Memories good and bad, that bring a smile to my face.

Now, you have 200 bottles that may not be your favorite but represent your family history. Consider a day when you have a son or daughter who you can share that with. Every time you open one of those bottles, you can remember your granddad. I can tell you I would give big, big bucks today to be in your position. If you are careful with this stash and add to it as you get older, you will create a legacy of your family going back to the 50's. You can add the spirits of your choice to this stash that your grandchildren, and maybe even your great grandchildren can enjoy. Think of the stories passed down. Damn, I am envious.

Please consider, when you are 50, I guarantee your will regret the sale of this stash. that might represent $4k - $6K to you today. Keep it, pop a seal on special occasions, think about your granddad, your dad, yourself.

If you live to 80, wouldn't it be cool to sit down with your grandson and enjoy a drink of your grandfathers whiskey the evening before he gets married? You have that opportunity don't let it get away.

Great advise! Take it.

NeoTexan
06-15-2007, 19:18
HD FOY

I hope you post more often. :bowdown:

ILLfarmboy
06-15-2007, 19:25
Yes, beautifully written HD FBOY.:bowdown:

luv2hunt
06-21-2007, 13:17
He's got a Harley Davidson Fat Boy! That's impressive too!

Dawn

Edward_call_me_Ed
06-21-2007, 16:48
It has already been said very well already. You are very lucky. Don't waste this chance. Keep it and drink it.

Ed

Dramiel McHinson
06-23-2007, 22:27
I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on what they might be worth or if they are still good to consume. ANY help would be much appreciated!!!

Kindest Regards,
-Rick in Boston

Rick,

You have given reality to the dreams of many. I don't know anyone who has been left a legacy of good whiskey such as what you describe. I would set aside some for myslef to last my liver's lifetime. I would set aside a few of each as an unopened legacy of my own to leave(along with written words of the origin and history.) Next, I would share with the family and finally I would share with friends. Some of the whiskey, given as gifts to good friends for special ocassions would start a new legacy for a new family. What greater satisfaction can you get from the secret thoughtfulness of your grandfather. I propose a toast to your Grandfather and to his legacy which is now yours...

jsgorman
08-05-2007, 11:18
I think many of you are trying to put this guy into your shoes - not the other way around.

We are talking 200 bottles here guys. I consider myself a collector and I couldn't see that many bottles. I just moved houses and had to pack up and move fewer cases than he's got and its a bitch.

Even if he sells 100 bottles - that leaves another 100 bottles that he can enjoy. Plus there is the hassle of storing the liquor. Plus some of the bottles have more 'collector' value than drinking value (in that there is someone willing to pay more money for an older bottle of crappy whiskey than it would cost to replace it with a PVW 10YO).

I'd go through the batch and pull out between 50-100 bottles and sell the rest - or better yet give them as gifts to your other family members.