PDA

View Full Version : Limoncello

CrispyCritter
06-16-2007, 18:44
Tonight I gave limoncello, as mentioned in this other thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=85419&postcount=13), a try. Wow, what a perfect hot-weather drink! I tried it neat at freezer temperature (in a freezer-temperature shooter glass), and also mixed with sparkling water (2:1 water:limoncello). It's hard for me to decide which way I liked it better - and the cocktail wheels are starting to turn inside my head as well.

The sparkling water version was like lemonade with a kick - almost too easy to drink.

I noticed, besides the Caravella I have, Luxardo also makes a limoncello - it will be interesting to compare the two.

TBoner
06-17-2007, 12:59
Luxardo is a good limoncello, a bit sweet and not as tart as some, but quite good, as most of their products are.

If you enjoy the drink, I recommend making your own. It's not hard, and very rewarding. Not to mention inexpensive (relatively speaking).

cowdery
06-17-2007, 15:58
Most liqueurs can be made at home but I've noticed that it seems to be a tradition among Italians to make limoncello at home for personal enjoyment and as gifts.

MGades
06-17-2007, 20:43
I recently tried the Caravella as well, and I liked it on the rocks.

The flavor did seem a bit candy-like though when I paid close attention. Although they use real lemons, I kept imagining a box of Lemonheads candy dissolved in a bottle of vodka.