PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here

koolkatz48
06-20-2007, 16:15
Hello everyone,

Love the site and the discussions. I have gotten back into bourbon sipping after a long absence. Started with JB White Label, then Makers, WT 101, and now working on some Knob Creek. I really prefer the taste of the Knob Creek when compared to the others.

Given that, can anyone suggest other bourbons I might try that would be along the same lines as the KC?

KOOL

jwrussell
06-20-2007, 16:27
Try the others in the Small Batch Collection. Specifically Baker's. Knob Creek was what got me into Bourbon. Welcome aboard.

melting
06-20-2007, 19:15
Yes, the other offerings in the small batch collection would be a pretty good place to start although a little pricey.

I've only recently within the last few years started broadening my horizons with regard to whiskey purchases. It used to be mostly Wild Turkey 101 and Wild Turkey Rye. They still are, by the way, my go to pours.

My new policy is to try everything that I see at least once. Haven't really been dissapointed so far. Even the ones that I didn't particularly care for were worth the 20 or so dollars that it cost. I've found one of the better deals out there besides anything Wild Turkey is the Eagle Rare 10 year. Only about 20 bucks and it's great.

I'd also like to suggest that you try the Elijah Craig 12 and 18 year. Some don't care for the 18 year but to me it's a completely different animal than anything else out there.

Chris

CrispyCritter
06-20-2007, 20:42
Old Grand-Dad, particularly the 100-proof bonded version or the 114, would be well worth trying out. For a change of pace, Elmer T. Lee, or Buffalo Trace.

If you want to give wheaters another go, Old Fitzgerald bonded is an exceptional value - and so is Weller 107-proof.

koolkatz48
06-21-2007, 17:43
Thanks for the suggestions!

Is there a preferred method of drinking the small batch bourbons (diluting with water/ice vs. "neat") to get the full essence of the spirit's flavors?:bowdown:

KOOL

CrispyCritter
06-21-2007, 20:54
That really depends on personal preference. Try it each way.

I usually drink my whiskey neat, unless it's going into a cocktail. Sometimes I'll add a splash of water, but I don't care for ice except as a cocktail mixing/chilling agent.

TNbourbon
06-21-2007, 21:39
...Is there a preferred method of drinking...bourbons (diluting with water/ice vs. "neat") to get the full essence of the spirit's flavors?
KOOL

You're going to get a lot of different feedback on that, if everybody chimes in. And every answer you get is right -- and wrong. I know, because I am a representative of every single, conceivable answer.
Once was a time, shortly after I became a serious bourbonista, that I considered anything short of 'neat' offensive. Heaven forbid one should add water, like Scotch drinkers do!:shocked: And why waste a good bourbon in a mixed drink, especially one so simple as bourbon and Coke?!:bigeyes:
Know what? I've now established enough confidence in my bourbon likes and dislikes that I do what I damn well please -- including, if I may, drinking a beer when I don't feel like having bourbon.
I still enjoy bourbon neat quite often -- and it may be precisely the right way to get to know it intimately quickly -- but I also mix it with ginger ale, diet cola or, if it's high-proof G.T. Stagg or something, water. A good Manhattan is excellent, as are mint juleps -- and I even made my first Sazerac not too long ago. Not perfect yet, but it wasn't bad. Heck, I marinaded my steak in bourbon earlier tonight.
I guess what I'm saying is simply this: the more we learn, the more we learn we don't know. Enjoy the bourbon, however you may -- and if one way supersedes others, okay. But do not be alarmed or made to feel inferior if you find that you like it, well, however you like it.
Cheers.:toast:

mred
06-22-2007, 08:19
GOOD POINTS

You're going to get a lot of different feedback on that, if everybody chimes in. And every answer you get is right -- and wrong. I know, because I am a representative of every single, conceivable answer.
Once was a time, shortly after I became a serious bourbonista, that I considered anything short of 'neat' offensive. Heaven forbid one should add water, like Scotch drinkers do!:shocked: And why waste a good bourbon in a mixed drink, especially one so simple as bourbon and Coke?!:bigeyes:
Know what? I've now established enough confidence in my bourbon likes and dislikes that I do what I damn well please -- including, if I may, drinking a beer when I don't feel like having bourbon.
I still enjoy bourbon neat quite often -- and it may be precisely the right way to get to know it intimately quickly -- but I also mix it with ginger ale, diet cola or, if it's high-proof G.T. Stagg or something, water. A good Manhattan is excellent, as are mint juleps -- and I even made my first Sazerac not too long ago. Not perfect yet, but it wasn't bad. Heck, I marinaded my steak in bourbon earlier tonight.
I guess what I'm saying is simply this: the more we learn, the more we learn we don't know. Enjoy the bourbon, however you may -- and if one way supersedes others, okay. But do not be alarmed or made to feel inferior if you find that you like it, well, however you like it.
Cheers.:toast:

jwrussell
06-22-2007, 09:03
Very well said. Bottom line: Be sure to experiment, but beyond that, Drink what you like, how you like, and to heck with the rest. :)