PDA

View Full Version : Bulliet Bourbon

adirondack
06-26-2007, 00:07
Figured this is a question for the newcomers room. How does one pronounce Bulliet? Is it Bullyay (which is kind of what I figured since the family came from france) or is it Bullet as one of my distributors insists?

HighTower
06-26-2007, 00:50
I have been wondering the same thing myself, foe some time. Here in Australia, 99% of people refer to it as "Bullet" bourbon, including representatives from the company.
I myself have always pronounced it Bull-ay (it's actually spelt Bulleit) as that is how I read it. I know that doesn't answer your question, hopefully someone else can answer it and put both our minds to rest :grin:

Scott

adirondack
06-26-2007, 01:08
Glad to see I am not the only one who doesn't know for sure!

I have looked all over their website to see if I could find it there, but came up with nothing.

(Thanks for pointing out the typo!)

BourbonJoe
06-26-2007, 08:39
It is pronounced "Bullet", like what gets fired from a pistol.
Joe :usflag:

HighTower
06-26-2007, 14:27
ok, so the "i" is silent.
Thanks Joe!

Scott

OscarV
06-26-2007, 14:34
yeah, I don't know where I read it, but I do remember it being explained that it is pronouced like that thing that comes out of a barrel of a gun.

MGades
06-27-2007, 09:00
I don't see it now either, but their website used to explain that it is pronounced "Bullet". Silent "i", no Frenchy accent.

One of my favorites.

BourbonBalls
06-27-2007, 13:43
As in Bulliet County, Kentucky.......

jbutler
06-30-2007, 09:00
Figured this is a question for the newcomers room. How does one pronounce Bulliet? Is it Bullyay (which is kind of what I figured since the family came from france) or is it Bullet as one of my distributors insists?

Just FYI, I posed this very question to Tom Bulliet at the SF Whiskey Expo ~6 years ago. His answer: "Just like ammunition." :grin:

Hedmans Brorsa
07-01-2007, 02:12
Good question!

I ainīt even gonna try to explain how I pronounced it. It probably would have left both English- and Frenchspeaking people dumbfounded. :grin:

BourbonBalls
07-07-2007, 07:05
ok, so the "i" is silent.
Thanks Joe!

Scott

Yes! the "i" is silent....like the "p" in "swimming" !!!

ILLfarmboy
07-07-2007, 18:45
I had assumed the (i) was silent. Then a liquor store manager pronounced it in front of me, giving me confidence I was pronouncing it right. But then again this manager suggested I try bulliet because it was "similar to Makers Mark". What?:rolleyes:

I wouldn't know how to Franco-fy the pronunciation.

Now, If only I could get people who aren't from Illinois or near the border of one of our neighboring states to quit pronouncing the silent (s) I will have really accomplished something:grin:

CrispyCritter
07-07-2007, 19:19
But then again this manager suggested I try bulliet because it was "similar to Makers Mark".

:slappin:

Thank goodness for forums like this - it's nice to be able to compare notes and pick apart claims about various bottles on the shelf!

FYI, I love Bulleit, and I wouldn't turn down a Maker's - but anybody saying they're alike doesn't know what he's talking about...

Lapianoman
08-30-2007, 12:32
I've wondered this myself. Glad to see my time spent on these forums is already paying off!

Aged In Oak
08-30-2007, 15:15
Oh come on they're very similar... I mean, they're both bourbon, right? :rolleyes:

mozilla
08-30-2007, 18:44
IIRC, Bulleit has a very industrial quality to it. I have not revisited this one in some time for that reason. I can always find a bourbon I like for less $ than either one of these. What is it that makes these interesting to someone? Thanks, Jeff Mo.

cousin it
09-01-2007, 04:38
As in Bulliet County, Kentucky.......

Isn't it Bullet Co Ky? Just South of Louisville

cousin it
09-01-2007, 04:50
Just FYI, I posed this very question to Tom Bulliet at the SF Whiskey Expo ~6 years ago. His answer: "Just like ammunition." :grin:

Kentuckians are notorious for corrupting words, hence Versailles Ky(pronounced vur-sales), the County seat where Woodford Reserve is made and Stanford Ky. Originally Stanford was known as Logan's fort; when the Shawnee laid seige to the place, and it failed, the people started calling it Standing Fort, which has since been corrupted to it's current name. There are many other examples, but my brain is a bit befuddled right now.

barturtle
09-01-2007, 23:52
Kentuckians are notorious for corrupting words, hence Versailles Ky(pronounced vur-sales), the County seat where Woodford Reserve is made and Stanford Ky. Originally Stanford was known as Logan's fort; when the Shawnee laid seige to the place, and it failed, the people started calling it Standing Fort, which has since been corrupted to it's current name. There are many other examples, but my brain is a bit befuddled right now.

Here's a good one... I lived near here for about 4 years...the top of the link says exactly how they say it, but it's actually French (something along the lines of Moo-tar-dee-a)...Moutardier, KY (http://www.cavesandlakes.com/nolin/)

cowdery
09-02-2007, 14:06
The similarity between Bullitt, the county, and Bulleit, the bourbon, is coincidence, although both are pronounced like bullet, the projectile.

Bulleit Bourbon is named for Tom Bulleit, who started it, not in the mists of legend but about ten years ago.

Bullitt County was named for Alexander Bullitt, whose estate was Oxmoor Farm, east of Louisville, and now (mostly) Oxmoor Mall, a big shopping center. Part of I-64 through there also crosses what was the Bullitt property. These Bullitts are considered one of Louisville's 'founding families.'

CrispyCritter
09-02-2007, 19:42
Kentuckians are notorious for corrupting words, hence Versailles Ky(pronounced vur-sales)

The same thing happens in Illinois: Marseilles (mar-SALES), Joliet (JO-lee-ette), Des Plaines (Dess Planes), San Jose (Sann Joe's) are just a few examples.

Go north to Wisconsin... well, there's a whole web site with audio clips, devoted to pronouncing Wisconsin place names (http://misspronouncer.com/). You, too, can learn to pronounce Oconomowoc, Weyauwega, and Mequon. :D

Virus_Of_Life
09-02-2007, 20:54
Bulleit Bourbon is named for Tom Bulleit, who started it, not in the mists of legend but about ten years ago.

Heck of a nice guy he is too!

I was not overly impressed when I first tasted Bulleit, but on my trip to Kentucky I drank a lot of it and found it very good, a bargain I would say. It is, after all, Four Roses distilled bourbon and the similarities are very apparent.