PDA

View Full Version : What are you drinking tonight? (Summer '07)

Pages : [1] 2

jbutler
07-05-2007, 11:24
And the subject carries on!

ggilbertva
07-05-2007, 11:46
Ok ok...I'll go first. Last night I opened a new (old) bottle of Wild Turkey 8 year 101. Distilled 1977, bottled 1985. Man was I impressed. I have avoided WT products over the last year or so because there were so many other choices that were out there plus I was totally unimpressed with the current WT offerings. I must say, this earlier bottling is quite good and definately something I will go back to on a regular basis.

mgilbertva
07-05-2007, 16:59
Last night: W.L. Weller Antique 107/7yo. Very intense for a wheater. Amazing bourbon easily worth double the price (especially since I got it for $15 in Maryland). This week was the first time I've tried this particular bourbon, inspired in part by a wheater tasting at stoopsie's recently.

TBoner
07-05-2007, 19:17
Last night: W.L. Weller Antique 107/7yo. Very intense for a wheater. Amazing bourbon easily worth double the price (especially since I got it for $15 in Maryland). This week was the first time I've tried this particular bourbon, inspired in part by a wheater tasting at stoopsie's recently.

I'll go ahead and fess up to something that I've been needing to get off my chest. I may like the BT Weller 107 as well as or even better than the S-W version. Some bottles of the Louisville stuff that seem to have gotten a year or two extra in the barrel have blown me away, but damn if the Frankfort version - while different - doesn't always make me happy. Doesn't stop me from buying S-W bottles, mind you, but at a given time I like to have open a BT version, then a S-W version, and so on, alternating which one I'm drinking as I empty a bottle. And neither one is a letdown from the other.

I'm drinking Bowmore 12 right now, and it's hitting the spot. Up next, it'll be a Saz Jr. and then, I think, some S-W Old Fitz.

mgilbertva
07-05-2007, 19:27
I'll go ahead and fess up to something that I've been needing to get off my chest. I may like the BT Weller 107 as well as or even better than the S-W version.

I absolutely love the products BT is putting out right now. I think that if something happened to BT right now, in a few decades people would be searching for current BT whiskeys with the same fervor we now shower on S-W.

I'd love to do a side-by-side with old S-Ws and their modern BT & HH versions too. That being said, I have one comparison, but I'm drawing on memory. I have the Pappy 15 open, and I got to try the ORVW 15 at stoopsie's the other night, and I think the latter may have the edge.

TNbourbon
07-05-2007, 19:31
I'll go ahead and fess up to something that I've been needing to get off my chest. I may like the BT Weller 107 as well as or even better than the S-W version...

Ya know, this speaks to something I think we all know, but don't say explicitly often enough -- the Buffalo Trace crew knows good bourbon (even when they 'steal it'?, as the joke goes).
No, no accusation of stealing there, really -- but Gary Gayheart made Old Charter before it became a BT brand. Julian VW is in partnership with BT. Elmer has been BT for a long time. Harlen's doin' okay.
Who else is scouring their warehouses for prime barrels that don't fit current brands, and creating new labels for them (think G.T. Stagg, Eagle Rare 17, et al)?
Buffalo Trace makes great whiskey, they buy great whiskey, and they let talent select great whiskey. To me, that makes Buffalo Trace a great whiskey company!:toast: Heck, they've even let me take part in choosing a barrel or six:grin: (okay, okay -- we'll forgive 'em that!:blush:).

TNbourbon
07-05-2007, 19:38
I'm back in Myrtle Beach to collect my reconstructed car (geesh -- the next thing that goes right with this incident will be the first thing. Now, even after a month, the body shop can't supply one of the headlights! I'm likely driving it home with one).
Anyway, I brought a 200ml bottle of Louisville Old Charter "Classic" 12yo/90 proof with me, having now been here before, and am drinking it with diet Coke as I type. I'm drinking better bourbon than 90% of the SC population, from the look of things. Man, the liquor shelves are bourbon-barren here!

ThomasH
07-05-2007, 20:55
Tim,
While in Myrtle Beach, check out Green's liquor store on the main drag at 29th. St. N. in North Myrtle Beach. Best liquor store I found in Myrtle!

Thomas

whiskeyhatch
07-05-2007, 22:49
I absolutely love the products BT is putting out right now. I think that if something happened to BT right now, in a few decades people would be searching for current BT whiskeys with the same fervor we now shower on S-W.

For what it's worth, I really felt good after reading this. Unfortunately I kinda missed the S-W boat but it's nice to know that there really is still some quality whiskey production going on these days. I hope that BT's attention to quality and tradition continues. Another note, I'm expecting a flask to arrive in the mail soon. It's something I will probably have for years. It's maiden voyage will be accompanied by none other than Buffalo Trace.

CrispyCritter
07-05-2007, 23:03

Indeed - and let's not forget that people are already searching for old BTAC releases. I've had very few S-W bottles, and they've always been good, but BT has really been on a roll. Since I tend to be more of a "now" drinker, I'm quite happy to see that they're putting quality pours on the shelves! I wasn't a whiskey drinker back during the glut era, so while S-W whiskeys are a nice treat, they are hard enough to find that I tend to gravitate towards what's readily available.

Two of my three pours tonight were BT - one AAA 10 year, and one Weller Antique 107 (a Frankfort bottle like every one I've had). WT Rye provided the nightcap...

tango-papa
07-06-2007, 01:20
Old Forester, 86 proof, dimpled bottle - dated 1995.
Not bad, a bit rough around the edges, will be interesting to see if it gets better after the bottle's been open awhile.
If not, no big deal as it was only $10.:cool:

~tp

ggilbertva
07-06-2007, 05:34
Tim,
While in Myrtle Beach, check out Green's liquor store on the main drag at 29th. St. N. in North Myrtle Beach. Best liquor store I found in Myrtle!

Thomas

Also try Owens Liquor's....I picked up PVW15 and 20 there. I found Weller Antique 107 at Greens.

ThomasH
07-06-2007, 17:40
So far this week I have had WT 101, AA 10yr. barrel 107, Rebel Yell, Bernheim Wheat, OCPR and Pritchards double barrel bourbon. I'm leaving for Las Vegas on Sunday so who knows what next week will bring!

Thomas

Gillman
07-06-2007, 18:49
Tonight I had some great FRSB (the Single Barrel), which is probably the best bottle I've had yet, full, sweet and woody but without tannic edge, fruity, pepperminty. Just tops.

Also, a little Sazerac cocktail. Here's how I did it: 50% of the Heaven Hill mingling I did recently, remaining 50% Portuguese brandy, dash each Fee's and Angostura (the Fee's was the cinnamony oak-aged bitters), dash maple syrup, dash 1970's Pernod (a gift from Randy Goode some years ago). Very good indeed.

Then, a half of two bottles of beer (remainder capped for tomorrow): the great Sinha stout from Sri Lanka (an Imperial stout basically, a holdover from British colonization days - this is called Lion in some markets), and the Saaz-hopped Christoffel Bier from Holland which is a craft lager beer of the highest quality.

Gary

TBoner
07-06-2007, 20:03
A Manhattan with OGD BIB, Cinzano sweet vermouth, and my homemade bitters. They're heavy on clove and cardamom with a decent cinnamon backbone and a good, bitter bite. Not the viscosity I'd hoped for, but this is my first batch. A great cocktail.

Don't know where I'll go from here, but the Beam Black 7/90 I opened last night is calling my name.

Iluvanejos
07-06-2007, 21:07
This is my first attempt at this, so go easy on me... I poured myself an OGD114 that I found at a local this week. It is surprisingly smooth with a touch of water, and is going well with the Opus #4 I am smoking. Wow, this stuff is great!!!

blux
07-06-2007, 21:12
The bourbon of the month - Jim Beam Black (8/86).

bigtoys
07-06-2007, 21:27
Sipping some Rowan's Creek on the rocks while paging through the just arrived Summer (3rd quarter) edition of Malt Advocate. They devote a decent amount of space to bourbon.

CrispyCritter
07-06-2007, 21:36
I'm having some Old Fitzgerald BIB now, after a Negroni and a Red Hook. With the Old Fitz, I'm noticing a bit of burn, and yet it seems soft and mellow at the same time. From a flavor standpoint, mostly caramel/vanilla with just a hint of menthol. The finish is fairly short, not particularly woody, mostly a fadeaway of the original taste.

I'd put this very high on the bang-for-the-buck list though - I'd pick this over MM any day.

Brennan77
07-07-2007, 07:53
Sipping some Rowan's Creek on the rocks while paging through the just arrived Summer (3rd quarter) edition of Malt Advocate. They devote a decent amount of space to bourbon.

Rowan's Creek has been my choice for this summer. It's a great pour, especially on the rocks.

Stu
07-07-2007, 09:51
Those of you that know me know that I don't like cocktails, I find them too sweet. It was not exceptionally hot last evening, but I spent the day with a chain saw so I was hot. My wife spent the day gardening so she also worked up a good sweat. We took some chocolate mint from her herb garden and put it in a food processor, then put the crushed mint into a tea ball. I poured a good sized glass of Very Old Barton and used that as a base for the tea. After it seeped well we poured it over two ice cubes and garnished it with a sprig of chocolate mint. Very cool and refreshing. It works just as well with any other good bourbon. We tried it once with spearmint and it wasn't nearly as good as chocolate mint, but it was still cool and refreshing. She also raises sun mint but we haven't tried it with that. Those of you who have an herb garden, give it a try and let me know your opinion. I call it Arkansas Tea, maybe I should call it Kentucky Tea?

Stu

Stu
07-07-2007, 10:33
P.S Those of you that know Bernadette know that she is not a bourbon fan (she likes single malts) but she really enjoys the tea that I described in my last post. Also I said that I normally don't like cocktails, however there are exceptions. Sometimes when Bernadette cooks Mexican food she makes a pitcher of delicious Martgueritas using gold tequila and lots of salt on the glass. We'll also drink an occasional colada made with Coco Lopez and a double helping of dark rum (a recipe we found in Puerto Rico). Occasionally after a fine supper I'll make us a drink that I invented years ago that's a bastardization of a King Alphonse and a Brandy Alexander - crushed ice, add equal parts of heavy cream, Creme de Cocoa, and Kahlua, then blend. It tastes like a spiked mocha malted milk.

Stu

jburlowski
07-07-2007, 18:41
Went to the neighbors last night for a cookout... Dave knows I like bourbon and offered me two choices: Weller 12 or "this other one". The other one turned out to be EWSB 1994 (which he bought cuz the label looked different)!

Golly, I love my neighbors.

smokinjoe
07-07-2007, 19:41
Tonight, a couple of hits of Barton Bottled in Bond. I think this bourbon may have the best nose of any bourbon I have. Very floral and distinctive. Only resemblance to anything else I can think of is the Four Roses Single Barrel. In addition, I find it interesting how the floral nose gives way to a delicious yeasty taste. And, a superbly clean finish. For around $10, this is exceptional whiskey.

JOE

CrispyCritter
07-07-2007, 20:13
First a bottle of Polish beer (Okocim) to accompany the food at a semi-local Polish buffet.

Now, Weller Antique. I'm getting an impression of honey with a slight touch of cinnamon, and a medium honey/oak finish.

scratchline
07-07-2007, 21:00
Started early today with 8 yr Old Fitz 1849 and ginger ale while I tended the grill. Then moved on to a pour of WT 12 split label. Then a mid-80's Old Grand-Dad Bonded. Today I found the OGD preferable to the WT 12. Had more depth to the flavor, just a whole lot happening in the taste. Had to have another small one. Finally, mixed myself and three guests arguably heretical, tip-top shelf Manhattans: 1 1/2 oz Old Fitz 1849, 1/2 oz Willetts!!, 1/2 oz Carpano Antica, dash of Angostura, dash of Fee's Orange Bitters, garnished with a flamed lemon twist. An absolutely perfect cocktail!

-Mike

gothbat
07-07-2007, 22:03
WT:KS. The bottle is from 2001 and has one of those nice pewter tops. Much to my disappointment the cork broke when I was pulling it out. Only a small piece fell into the bottle and I was able to get it out and clean off the inside of the neck were some was stuck, almost glued. Luckily I never throw away my corks and had a wooden replacement from a previous bottle. The pewter top is quite nice, pretty heavy (over 6x heavier!), but useless with the broken cork on it. As for the bourbon itself, tastes great! I guess that's all that really matters. :)

TNbourbon
07-07-2007, 22:07
I awoke yesterday (Friday) at 9 a.m., and walked four miles to monitor progress on my car being repaired after an earlier vacation accident in Myrtle Beach, S.C. Without going into detail, I muddled away about the worst ordinary day of my life until the car was finally available at midnight EDT. I was due at work at noon CDT today (Saturday). I made it -- with a 1-hour, fitful 'siesta' in the Augusta, GA, welcome-center rest area, which I left when I discovered the restroom cannot be accessed after hours.
I worked 9 hours today at the liquor-store job. At present, I'm working on 38+ hours of sleeplessness, having just downed a 750ml of Belgian ale with some American cheese slices (that was supper!). And, oddly, I'm as alert as if I were well-rested and leisurely.
I figure I'm delerious -- no bourbon for me, I'm going to bed!

OscarV
07-08-2007, 15:03
A Caipirinha, several in fact.

Iluvanejos
07-08-2007, 18:54
Tonight I am having an OGD BIB 100 (probably a recent bottling, my guess, I just bought it last week) to accompany the La Aurora Preferido Cameroon I am smoking. This bourbon is very good with this cigar. I do not know much about flavor profiles yet, but am thinking this combination is producing a cinamon red-hot candy flavor. My first taste of OGD BIB, I really enjoy the 114 also. Very nice!!!

wskybnt
07-08-2007, 19:59
Starting off with a small pour of WLW '06. I think I will keep it going with the BTAC and go with Stagg next..

TNbourbon
07-08-2007, 20:28
...I do not know much about flavor profiles yet, but am thinking this combination is producing a cinamon red-hot candy flavor. My first taste of OGD BIB, I really enjoy the 114 also. Very nice!!!

Seems like you 'get' the flavor profile just fine. Remarkably, it's one that has lasted with great consistency over many years:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=92355#post92355

ILLfarmboy
07-08-2007, 20:53
A WT RB Manhattan. On the rocks. I built it in the glass, didn't feel like dirtying the shaker etc. And then it's bedtime for Bonzo.

bigtoys
07-08-2007, 21:33
Last night, I sat out with a couple of my neighbors for a drink and some music at about 10:30, after the kiddies were in bed. Started out with a Unibroue, a Canadian Belgian style ale. However, the talk turned to spirits. We alternated between Pappy 20 and 23, finishing off my first bottle of 23. We also dented a fresh bottle of GT Stagg. Oh, and a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock was also consumed. When the sky started to lighten up, around 5 am, we called it a great night and hit the hay. Gotta say, today wasn't too productive.

Iluvanejos
07-09-2007, 06:03
Thank you for the link. Another great read!

tango-papa
07-09-2007, 18:14
Enjoying a pour of Old Rip Van Winkle, 10 year, 107 proof, Frankfort, bottle# A1918. :cool:

Simply a fantastic whiskey!

~tp

CrispyCritter
07-09-2007, 21:17
Two pours of WT Rye, finishing off the bottle. Time to open something new tomorrow night...

ILLfarmboy
07-10-2007, 17:51
ORVW 10 year 107 as a pre-supper dram.

Iluvanejos
07-10-2007, 20:28
Opened my first bottle of Pappy 15 to pair with a 5 Vegas "A" Apostle... the cigar is a little overpowering for this pour. I will have to have another when the stogie is gone....:grin:

SBOmarc
07-10-2007, 21:45
Pappy 20...pondering the future.

Ubertaster
07-10-2007, 21:56
Started with a Rittenhouse Rye 100 Manhattan then a Saz Jr followed by a Saz 18. A very pleasant and relaxing night.

bj

wskybnt
07-10-2007, 22:03
WT Rare Breed,

we always seem to talk about the $15-$20 bottles being good buys for the money. But RB at $32 is like the Corvette of bourbon. Sure there are barrel proof bourbons, at the $50 range (ie.. porsche, viper, mercedes) but, at $3?.00 RareBreed is the best bang for the buck, for its class. It could easily cost $45-$50 and nobody would complain.....

tango-papa
07-10-2007, 22:24
WT Rare Breed,

we always seem to talk about the $15-$20 bottles being good buys for the money. But RB at $32 is like the Corvette of bourbon. Sure there are barrel proof bourbons, at the $50 range (ie.. porsche, viper, mercedes) but, at $3?.00 RareBreed is the best bang for the buck, for its class. It could easily cost $45-$50 and nobody would complain.....

Or, the 350Z of bourbon - that's a whole lotta bang for the buck!:cool:

~tp

wskybnt
07-10-2007, 22:42
Tp,

350z = Eagle Rare single barrel

Nice pour, well-rounded, good for the $$, and gets you in the ring. But not as in your face as RB, small block, rear wheel drive, hp & tq ( 108 proof )

Maybe I should start a car = bourbon thread like :

Hirsh 16 = 911

GTS = Viper

ETL = WRX

WT 101 = Mustang GT

Handy Rye = Gt500

and so on and so forth..........

SBOmarc
07-10-2007, 22:45
WT Rare Breed,

Even better when I can find it just below $30.00. I have feeling that those days may be gone in SoCal...we had it for a long time.

mgilbertva
07-10-2007, 23:33
Reached for some bourbon from my cabinet and knocked over a bottle of Very Old Barton, which then shattered on the floor. The house smells nice, but what a mess. Not to mention the bourbon stripped the finish off the wood floor. Not good.

After cleaning up I was hot and sweaty - it's still Africa hot and sauna humid here in Virginia, and the AC struggles to keep up. So I did something I never do - poured some whiskey over an ice cube. I used some baby Saz for the experiment.

I must say, it was interesting. It really mellows out, although too much flavor is lost IMO. Still, it was a not-unpleasant change and the coolness was just right.

whiskeyhatch
07-10-2007, 23:46
It's very hot here. When it's hot, I like to drink whiskey over ice. BT and JB black taste very nice over ice so... that's about what it will be for the next couple months. Cheers!

Martian
07-11-2007, 04:14
EW Black over ice. Very cooling.

OscarV
07-11-2007, 13:11
Yep, mine over ice to in this blasted heat wave.
That would be Old Grand-Dad 114.

RedVette
07-11-2007, 18:37
Hot or not hot, I always drink mine on ice. Tonight I am having several large pours of Gold Wax Hirsch 16. I'm celebrating my promotion to Vice President of my company tonight. Gotta love the Hirsch.

Iluvanejos
07-12-2007, 20:15
Congrats RedVette on the promotion!!

Tonight, I decided to break open my first ever pour of Pappy 12 Lot B.... Very good!! I am smoking an Opus Perfection X, but decided to wait until the first pour was gone before lighting up, in order to avoid overpowering such a fine bourbon.
I seem to get a bunch of cherry flavor with this pour. I started with it neat, had a few sips, then added one ice cube. It seems to really have changed the flavor to almost a leather or woodsy profile. Still very tasty, and very smooth!!

I think next I am going to pour an OGD114 to pair with tonight's stick.

TNbourbon
07-12-2007, 20:25
...I'm celebrating my promotion to Vice President of my company tonight...

Rob, toasting with a pour of some first-issue WTKS, of which I believe you have a pour. Quality for quality. :toast:

barturtle
07-12-2007, 20:37
Congrats Rob...I'll toast with a little EWSB 1992

HipFlask
07-12-2007, 22:07
Well I am on a rye kick as of late. Started it out when a friend turned myon to Templeton Rye. Then because of what I read here Rittenhouse Rye BIB. And then when I was on vacation I picked up a bottle WT rye. Saz Jr will be next buy. Tonight before dinner I had a WT rye and then a pour of Maker's Mark. The Maker's sure had a wonderful smell but it seemed kinda bland to the taste. Maybe I got used to the sweetness of the ryes? Who knows but I sure am enjoying the journey.

Sorry to hear about your car TNbourbon. Congrats on your promotion RedVette.

ggilbertva
07-13-2007, 05:40
Last night a pour of WT 101 8 year.....so good.

CrispyCritter
07-13-2007, 06:52
Last night, one AAA 10 year, one Weller Antique, and a VWFRR to round it out.

MGades
07-14-2007, 01:03
WTKS, then Rittenhouse Rye BIB. just a tiny cube in each. Perfect. :cool:

jburlowski
07-14-2007, 13:15
Got in last night on a late flight after a week on the road in a hotel whose bar only had JBW... "decompressed" on the deck with a couple of healthy pours of ER17.

HighTower
07-14-2007, 14:38
Got in last night on a late flight after a week on the road in a hotel whose bar only had JBW... "decompressed" on the deck with a couple of healthy pours of ER17.
John,
I'm a little bit worried here. Did you actually drink the JBW?? I think you should consider one of those Hazmat showers they give you when you come into contact with nasties.:slappin:

Scott

camduncan
07-14-2007, 15:10
Last night it was several cans of Jim Beam White Label with Cola.:bigeyes:
They were offered to me by a well-meaning friend and I didn't want to be rude :skep:

Iluvanejos
07-14-2007, 20:16
Had a few Lot Bs neat with my brother, and now am enjoying a Fuente King B with a Pappy 15... This stuff is addicting!! I went to the wetbar, and through the ten-twelve open bottles, all I seem t reach for the past couple days is this Pappy 15....
Is there any others that have this thick, full flavored profile I should look for? Or is Pappy pretty much in a league of its own? It is fantastic!!

CrispyCritter
07-14-2007, 20:43
After my earlier cocktails (see the Non-Whiskey forum), I'm now trying my first pour of Dickel Barrel Select. I like, I like. I'm getting a toffee-like flavor out of this, and a hint of smoke, too. This is one to go on my top shelf...

gothbat
07-15-2007, 16:35
I was in the rare mood for a mixer so 3 cubes in a lowball glass, some lemon juice, a bit of jack, and some wild cherry pepsi. Quite refreshing, too bad I don't have any maraschino's on hand. Time to toss the sockeye on the grill!

jburlowski
07-15-2007, 17:15
John,
I'm a little bit worried here. Did you actually drink the JBW?? I think you should consider one of those Hazmat showers they give you when you come into contact with nasties.:slappin:

Scott

No... I went with JD as the only acceptable alternative.

CrispyCritter
07-15-2007, 18:50
Did you actually drink the JBW?? I think you should consider one of those Hazmat showers they give you when you come into contact with nasties.

I'd rather drink my Stagg than be showered with it. ;)

Tonight, I got a bit experimental - first, making some Negronis with Hendrick's Gin instead of Plymouth. I'm finding Hendrick's works better at 2:1:1 instead of 1:1:1; the subtle flavors in Hendrick's are lost in the traditional mix ratio.

Then, I got even more experimental, and made what is essentially a Whiskey Negroni with Rittenhouse BIB. I suppose this falls into the Manhattan Special category, but with Negroni-style 1:1:1 proportions. Scrumptious!

ThomasH
07-15-2007, 19:16
Tonight its OCPR 13 followed by some Early Times mint julep that is almost empty. I may be donating to the empty botlle support group toight!

Thomas

wskybnt
07-15-2007, 21:17
OC 12 yr, I think that I can get one more pour from the bottle. It's getting hard to find the old black label "Classic" around here. I know its the same but I just like the old label...

mrt
07-16-2007, 13:13
A very very cold beer :) It's rather hot here. Last night I drank just 1,5 oz. bourbon (Ten High), though.

TNbourbon
07-16-2007, 19:07
Would you believe barrel-proof four-grain?:rolleyes: :bigeyes:
What began as a three-glass toast to Barrel_Proof's birthday -- Wm. Larue Weller (wheated), GTStagg (rye bourbon) and Handy Sazerac (straight rye); I always pour too much of the barrel-proofs -- has transmogrified into a vatting of the three to wind up with a roughly 134-proof four-grainer.
It's really not bad -- which makes it, again, regrettable that Woodford Reserve's attempt in that direction didn't come out better. I hope someone will(is) try(trying) again, using perhaps an older still and longer aging.
But, now I have too much 3X -- so, I'm going to add some mixin's...Yep, makes a pretty good Jacked Up and Coke.

T47
07-18-2007, 00:20
Rittenhouse 80. I prefer the 100, but for some reason the store I frequent has had the 80 and not the 100? I will have to check into why that is? But I must admit I am surprised by the 80, it has nice flavor and a finish that last's a good while. For $13.55 might be my favorite lower priced pour.

:toast:

ggilbertva
07-20-2007, 08:17
Finally, after being dry for the last 8 days, I had a small pour of Old Fitz BIB (early 80's). I need to stop being so busy....it's interfering with my drinking.

OscarV
07-20-2007, 14:58
I am drinking Old Grand-Dad 114, but not for long, it looks like only two more shots left.
But I ain't complaining I got other choices.
Speaking of not complaining, it is 72 degrees with a breeze from the north, I just lit the grill and awaiting my bride to come home to throw on a couple of strips.
The Tigers have the best record in the Majors and I am on vacation the next two weeks!!
Looks like a future multi-visit to the Empty Bottle Support Group Thread is in my future. :cool:

smokinjoe
07-20-2007, 21:35
I am drinking Old Grand-Dad 114, but not for long, it looks like only two more shots left.
But I ain't complaining I got other choices.
Speaking of not complaining, it is 72 degrees with a breeze from the north, I just lit the grill and awaiting my bride to come home to throw on a couple of strips.
The Tigers have the best record in the Majors and I am on vacation the next two weeks!!
Looks like a future multi-visit to the Empty Bottle Support Group Thread is in my future. :cool:

Go on and live large Oscar!! I'll have a 114 with you.

JOE

TNbourbon
07-20-2007, 21:46
Well, now it just happens I have an old ND (tax-stripped, c. 1981) OGD114 open here, too -- good choice, Oscar!:toast:
And now, to bed...

TBoner
07-21-2007, 16:44
No OGD 114 open, sadly.

But this EWSB 1994 is pretty nice, too. Knob Creek and then Baker's up next. There seems some logic to a HH product made by a Beam followed by a couple of Beam products...and the increasing proofs should be nice, too.:grin:

WhiskeyJack
07-21-2007, 23:50
BT & ice is makin' it right on this cool summer night.

melting
07-22-2007, 19:35
Doublewood on ice trying to get both of my daughter's mp3 players function correctly.

PITB

Chris

ILLfarmboy
07-22-2007, 22:13
A small pour of WT 12 as a nightcap.

Yellowjacket
07-23-2007, 21:46
My first Old Charter 12 yo Classic 90 (Louisville). Mine comes in a black felt bag with the logo on it. Excellent. Very smooth. Nice spiciness from the rye but not overpowering. Nice flavors. Wonderful cap to my evening.

Bob

SBOmarc
07-23-2007, 22:13
July's BOTM, and it was spectacular.

Iluvanejos
07-24-2007, 19:52
I am enjoying a bit of Eagle Rare 101. I found a store with eight liter bottles, so I picked one up. My first taste, and it is good....
Question is, should I pick up more? I have read that this is no longer made....

CrispyCritter
07-24-2007, 19:56
First, Plymouth Gin and tonic, in a glass full of ice with a squeeze of lime. Now, Pappy 15...

TNbourbon
07-24-2007, 20:00
...Question is, should I pick up more? I have read that this is no longer made....

It is no longer made, and has not been for a couple of years. If you desire it, you might consider buying while you can.

Iluvanejos
07-24-2007, 20:33
Thank you. And for clarifiction, it was eight (8) One Liter bottles I saw, not eight liter bottles....

bigtoys
07-24-2007, 20:46
After working 8 of the last 9 days, including about 27 hours over the wekend, I'm relaxing with a generous pour of GT Stagg over ice. Looking forward to the next 3 days off, including a steak at Gibsons tomorrow, likely to include a Bombay Sapphhire dirty martini with bleu cheese stuffed olives for a cocktail. That said, I return to my Stagg.....:bowdown:

Nebraska
07-24-2007, 20:49
As many of you are aware, I'm a rye fiend... recently purchased bottles of 23 year old Vintage rye met with my approval this evening.

But in the long run, the spinach juice still has my favor. (Saz Jr).:lol:

TNbourbon
07-24-2007, 20:59
As many of you are aware, I'm a rye fiend... recently purchased bottles of 23 year old Vintage rye met with my approval this evening.

But in the long run, the spinach juice still has my favor. (Saz Jr).:lol:

Glad to see you back, Mark. Saz Jr. is okay by me -- better than Sr., in my opinion (and BT-distilled, to boot!).

RoyalWater
07-24-2007, 23:25
Midafternoon I had the best black and tan I have ever tasted, porter and pale ale in this case from a craft brewery in Michigan which I have forgotten the name of. When I returned to Ohio I drank my last Original Coors and my last four swallows of OGD BIB. I need to go to shopping soon, all that is left is Ancient Age.

NorCalBoozer
07-24-2007, 23:57
WT 12 y.o. split label and I'm split on this one....1/2 of me is pissed that I opened my only bottle of 12 y.o. split label, the other 1/2 is glad as hell i did!

blux
07-25-2007, 10:05
Last night I had my first taste of ERSB 10. Very good.

SBOmarc
07-25-2007, 23:29
Pappy 20, getting to the end this bottle.

robbyvirus
07-25-2007, 23:40
Bernheim Wheat Whiskey. Haven't had a sip from this bottle in quite awhile. I'm not as enthusiastic about it as I was originally.

ggilbertva
07-26-2007, 07:27
Last night was Lot B....bottle almost empty.

mozilla
07-26-2007, 20:17
Having some Cabin Still 88508 80proof from 1987. Taste is very complex with a hint of chocolate brownie.
Jeff M.

Iluvanejos
07-26-2007, 20:37
Had my first taste of Blanton's..... MMMMMM..... Then poured a small Maker's Mark to finish the night.

TNbourbon
07-26-2007, 20:46
Enjoying some 1972, 7yo Old Fitz Prime from a ringneck pheasant Wildlife Decanter series bottle, opened last week to honor Scratchline's visit. A bit more subtle than S-W OFBIBs, but with the same creamy sweetness plus the hint of pepper/spice, which imparts in Stitzel-Weller wheat a unique rye-like quality, I think.

Gillman
07-26-2007, 21:21
I think there is an argument, Tim, that Prime was the best of the S-W line. That was my firm conclusion when sampling them in the late 70's/early 80's - and I had bought most of the range then available including 1845 and the BIB. As you say, the Prime seemed to have certain subtleties, which probably was a result of its being under 100 proof (I think I liked the 90 proof the best) and not too young or too old. I recall it had, just as you said, a creamy sweetness, and I would add, peanut-brittle like. And, a peanut can have the faint bitter quality you mentioned especially if eaten freshly shelled.

Tasting with Randy Blank recently a OF 1849 from the early 1980's we were both struck how its profile really does (or did) differ from the other OFs. 1849 seems fruitier than these others, it must have been the selected profile for that brand. That fruit quality, rare in any S-W, is almost akin to what you find in WR. I think in technical terms it might be congeners not fully converted by aging - stock in other words that while well-aged still disclosed the fruity qualities of younger distillate.

Gary

ggilbertva
07-27-2007, 08:34
I also heard the S-W described as "toffee nut" in character. There's definately a unique nose and palate to the S-W bourbon's. I have some of the older BIB's, Prime 90 and Prime 80. I recently opened the Prime 80 and was surprised I liked it as much as I did because of the lower proof. I haven't opened up the Prime 90 yet so am looking forward to doing a comparison when I do. My Prime 90's are early 80's bottlings and the 80 is a 1992 bottling. I have two 1.75 Prime 90's but can't determine the year....the UPC is 88508 though.

Gillman
07-27-2007, 09:21
Thanks and you know it may have been (I now think it was) the Prime 80 that I liked best. It seemed to bring out the character of the toffee more. I recall using a dilution formula (this around 1980) to get the 90 to 80 and the BIB too and still thinking the 80 from the bottle was best, this might have been (as I only learned in recent years) because for some distilleries, their higher proof products contain whiskey of different ages than for the lower proof ones (this has been true I understand e.g. of VOB).

So on rethinking it, I think the Prime 80 was in fact my favourite iteration at that time. It might have been the 90, but I don't think so. Today, I'd be on bended knee to get any of them. :) And by the way the 1849 is really good, just different.

Gary

doubleblank
07-27-2007, 09:34
The Old Fitz Prime came in a lot of ages and proofs. Here's a pic of a "Prime Straight" aged 8 years at 86.8 proof. This is probably my favorite bottle of '70's era Old Fitz I've had (with the exception of those hard to find VOF's).

OscarV
07-27-2007, 11:08
Bernheim Wheat Whiskey. Haven't had a sip from this bottle in quite awhile. I'm not as enthusiastic about it as I was originally.

Ahh, the power of suggestion.
I pulled my bottle of BW off the shelf and sippin' one neat now.
I got it shortly after it came out in Oct. '05 in Bardstown, still have half a bottle.
There is a grainy sweetness that I like but it goes away so fast.
Faint, but noticeable butter toffee nose.
The problem with it, is the smell and taste disappear to fast.

Gillman
07-27-2007, 12:25
Yes the ages varied (I recall that even from then) and I recall too the 86 proof version.

In fact, a progenitor SB-er, namely me, was trying to puzzle out the taste differences in Montreal in 1980, a useful time for such (after-work/weekend only) activities since one was , i) younger and thus had more stamina to investigate, ii) able to apply the results to activities whose frenetic level or other characteristics matched one's age bracket e.g., Who concerts and long summer parties.

I did feel that Prime really did represent a style or profile regardless of age or proof but that 80 was best. This may have been due to the lower proof allowing the full barrel flavour to come through, or as suggested earlier, possibly the 80 had its own particular age and other make-up that appealed.

I recall specifically liking some of the VOFs but always preferring any bottle labelled Prime.

All this, normally, would be distant history but through the miracle of bottles surviving from then and in the collections of some SB-ers it is possible to see pictures of them, discuss and even taste the results sometimes.

And for that I thank many people but none more than Jim.

Gary

NickAtMartinis
07-27-2007, 14:55
I will be drinking some more Stagg Fall '05 tonight and will also try a Mint Julep for the first time. I will not be using Stagg for the Julep, but will be using WT Tribute which I do not like. Hey, it's better than pouring it down the drain.:grin:

TNbourbon
07-27-2007, 15:08
Enjoying some 1972, 7yo Old Fitz Prime from a ringneck pheasant Wildlife Decanter series bottle...A bit more subtle than S-W OFBIBs, but with the same creamy sweetness plus the hint of pepper/spice, which imparts in Stitzel-Weller wheat a unique rye-like quality, I think.

Here's the bottle, for reference.

The Old Fitz Prime came in a lot of ages and proofs. Here's a pic of a "Prime Straight" aged 8 years at 86.8 proof. This is probably my favorite bottle of '70's era Old Fitz I've had (with the exception of those hard to find VOF's).

This one, too, is 86.8 proof.
And, for whatever it's worth, I'll agree with the 'toffee nut' and 'peaunt brittle' descriptors. 'Butter pecan' comes to mind, too.
Any way you put it, it's pretty fine bourbon.

blux
07-27-2007, 18:23
I am having Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15. Mmm... Mmm... Good.

ThomasH
07-27-2007, 20:23
So far this week it has been Jim Beam 10yr.(from a 1981 decanter), Weller Antique 107, Old Fitz 1849, 04' Stagg, Jeffersons Reserve 15yr. and Van Winkle Lot B. Thankfully, still 2 more days left in the week!

Thomas

reg
07-27-2007, 21:53
Finally opened that bottle i got from a road trip. I do declare that that is some bite staight up. 114 burning an ice cude is how i liked it best.

Gillman
07-28-2007, 20:00
Earlier I had made a vatting of 3 Heaven Hill bourbons: HH 6 yrs old; HH Bonded (so nominally 4 but probably higher); and Fighting Cock (6 years again).

I like the taste of bourbon when it retains an oily smell and texture, provided the overall taste is good. E.g., Beam White has some young rye and corn flavours but I find the overall taste not great.

With HH, all these whiskeys are good but the vatting just makes them (for me) that much better. You get an increased complexity, but also a balance, e.g., I found the Bonded less oily than the others, and the Bonded and HH 6 less astringent than the FC; the combination (about 1/3rd each) created a pleasing synergy.

I have some 1970's HH (86 proof, no age statement but seemingly at least 6 years aged) I found in San Francisco recently and I thought I'd add some of that for a multi-generation Heaven Hill. Well, the result is even better than my first essay. The rich coppery malty smoky 70's whiskey filled out the others just that little bit to make a rich seamless mingling.

One can see how complex this can get by experimenting with different proportions of each whiskey. Given enough time, I could make (I think) the perfect blend of these whiskeys but I did not do so badly by using equal proportions.

If I had to choose one that was best amongst these four, it would be the Bonded. That is a fine product which stands with the best whiskeys available today, but (it just happens) for much less money. It has an old-time bourbon taste where the corn and oil are there but balanced with good char and wood gum extract. But I'll take my mingling over even that one.

Gary

Martian
07-28-2007, 21:30
Ezra B Black Label on the rocks. I think this stuff has replaced EW Black as my daily on the rocks bourbon for summer.

ILLfarmboy
07-28-2007, 21:30
Bushmills 10 on the rocks with a bit of added water. It was a long hot day and it is warm and muggy out. So much so I almost don't feel like drinking this.

TNbourbon
07-28-2007, 21:52
Ezra B Black Label on the rocks. I think this stuff has replaced EW Black as my daily on the rocks bourbon for summer.

Due credit to David Sherman-cum-Luxco -- they have preserved the wheated flavor of Rebel Yell, distributed a quite palatable, value-priced Ezra Brooks, and offered a premium-niche Ezra B (first 15yo) 12/99-proof, all without distilling a one of them. Not easy in today's tight bulk-whiskey market.
None of these will be mistaken for 'top-shelf', but ALL are offered at very fair (under $12 per 750 for the RY and EB/90) prices for the whiskey offered. You can do worse in the independent-bottler realm.

CrispyCritter
07-28-2007, 21:58
After a couple of Negronis, I'm now sipping a pour of Blanton's. Life is good.

HipFlask
07-29-2007, 09:59
The last two nights my wife and I have brought the fire pit out in the back yard to set and watch the flame. I have enjoyed Elmer T lee the first night and Rittenhouse Rye BIB the second. Now I need to get to the store to replace a few bottles.

heatmiser
07-29-2007, 11:04
Last night was a combination of ORVW 10/107, ORVW 15/107 and Old Fitzgerald 1849. All of these were SW and very good. We finished with some 2006 GTS which took first place.

HipFlask
07-29-2007, 14:46
Had my first taste of Blanton's..... MMMMMM..... Then poured a small Maker's Mark to finish the night.

Not change the subject of this tread. Iluvanejos how did the Makers Mark stand up to the Blanton's?
:drinking:

Iluvanejos
07-29-2007, 15:42
I would hate to be out of line, if I am let me know, but to me, it was not even close. The Blanton's was by far a superior bourbon. I am glad I tasted it first. The Maker's Mark seemed to be weaker in body. Maybe next time I will try the Blanton's second and see if it still outshines the Maker's Mark...
The Blanton's to me had that full flavored, thick profile like a Pappy 15 year..... (my current favorite.)

jburlowski
07-30-2007, 17:37
Emptied my decanter of FR SmB.... it has a certian fruity "yeastiness" that keeps me coming back.

wskybnt
07-31-2007, 20:34
Bookers, I don't drink this one much, but I always enjoy it when I do. Seems like it doesnt get mentioned as much as it used to, but still a Premo pour for me.....

CrispyCritter
07-31-2007, 22:29
I finished off my AAA 10yo tonight... mmmmmm.

ggilbertva
08-01-2007, 10:07
I've been so busy lately that taking time to sit down and enjoy one of my many fine bourbons is hard to do. I managed to sneak in a small pour of SW Old Fitz BIB last night. What a great nose and wonderful bourbon. I'm toying with the idea of opening one of my Pappy 15's....or maybe I'll just finish off the last few drops of Lot B....choices, choices :rolleyes:

HipFlask
08-03-2007, 23:02
Tonight I put the bourbon away and brought out the Rum. Had mixes of Rum Runners, Bahama Mamas, hurricane, zombie, Rum Island iced tea, and mai ties. nice change of pace to all the bourbon I've been putting back. And it's a Summertime thing.

ggilbertva
08-04-2007, 23:08
Started this evening with WT 101 8 year and Ginger. Then finished off the last pour of Lot B. Now I have an empty VW Lot B bottle...:cry:

Mamba
08-05-2007, 03:40
It's my birthday today so I had to have something special. Macallan 18, followed by Gran Patron Burdeos, followed by a 39-year armagnac distilled in 1966.

All were good, but just reminds me how much I love bourbon :)

HighTower
08-05-2007, 05:07
Happy Birthday Mamba:toast:

Scott

Iluvanejos
08-05-2007, 21:10
Started with a bit of Woodford, then went to some Knob Creek. (am trying to thin the herd of open bottles, so I can open some new ones....)

TNbourbon
08-05-2007, 21:43
Having a couple of bourbon-and-colas (diet, of course, but real Coke, this time!) using a brace of single-barrel, S-W Weller 12yos. Some of you might call that sacrilege, but I forgive you (trust me here -- it's not ALL I use these bottlings for) -- you just haven't caught on, yet, to the concept of using the best ingredients available. And I think S-W wheat makes about the best bourbon-and-Coke extant!
Isn't the purpose of drinking bourbon to enjoy it?:skep:

ThomasH
08-06-2007, 06:42
Last night it was Van Winkle 13yr. rye and Weller Antique 107. Next up, ER17 and Evan Williams white BIB!

Thomas

ggilbertva
08-06-2007, 09:14
Settled on some Old Pogue last night. Good nose, nice on the palate.

fog
08-06-2007, 13:47
Henry McKenna Single Barrel: this is the best bourbon that I have ever tasted.

I wonder why it is not discussed more often here.

TBoner
08-06-2007, 14:50
fog,

I've been put off by a few 10-yr-old HH products, to a point where I'm afraid to spend the $30 for something that seems likely to disappoint my particular tastes. However, I keep reading good reports on this stuff, and I do like me some EWSB, so...

As for me, after several dry days while helping my wife at a youth convention, I've got an ear infection and a sinus infection. I haven't had much booze, but I have been putting a splash of bourbon in my tea with honey to help take the bite out of a wicked cough. Last night was the last bit of a bottle of Booker's. Tonight, I think I'll go WT 101 in my tea. Good medicine.

OscarV
08-06-2007, 16:00
Tonight, I think I'll go WT 101 in my tea. Good medicine.

Yeah, no doubt.
101 is excellent medicine.

SBOmarc
08-06-2007, 16:15
A rye evening. Sazerac and Saz Jr. Rittenhouse BIB will end the night. The question is ....should I wedge in a pour of Thomas B Handy???

CrispyCritter
08-06-2007, 17:21
you just haven't caught on, yet, to the concept of using the best ingredients available. And I think S-W wheat makes about the best bourbon-and-Coke extant!
Isn't the purpose of drinking bourbon to enjoy it?:skep:

I've always subscribed to the "better ingredients make better cocktails" school of thought. While Rittenhouse BIB makes for very fine rye cocktails, once in a great while I'll use VWFRR instead, and believe me, it's quite a treat.

Tonight: first a Tanqueray/Vya Negroni, then a Tanqueray & tonic, and I just finished a rye-based experimental cocktail which I'll discuss elsewhere. I'm going to hold off a while before having anything else...

ggilbertva
08-08-2007, 07:42
Last night I pulled out my old bottle (early 80's) of Old Forester 86 proof. It's been sitting in the back of my closet for a number of months so I grabbed it and poured a nice dram. I remember this being a fine bourbon but for whatever reason last night, it was especially good. :yum:

ILLfarmboy
08-08-2007, 19:07
ORVW 10 year 107. This bottle is two thirds gone and will be a pain to replace. The store where I purchased it apparently no longer carries it and I know of no other. So I'll have to add this bottling to my list of things to order from Binny's. The "pain" part is both the wife and I work days. Which means I usually have alcohol shipped to my folks' house. Then I have to ask mom if she would arange to be home to signe for it.

ggilbertva
08-08-2007, 20:34
ORVW 10 year 107. This bottle is two thirds gone and will be a pain to replace. The store where I purchased it apparently no longer carries it and I know of no other. So I'll have to add this bottling to my list of things to order from Binny's. The "pain" part is both the wife and I work days. Which means I usually have alcohol shipped to my folks' house. Then I have to ask mom if she would arange to be home to signe for it.

I'll tell you what Brad, go ahead and ship it to my house, I'll make sure I'm home to sign for it. ;)

mgilbertva
08-09-2007, 19:40
I'll tell you what Brad, go ahead and ship it to my house, I'll make sure I'm home to sign for it. ;)

How's that for generosity? The people here at sb are all about helping.

Anyway, I opened the bottle of AAA 10yr I picked up the other day. Lots of brown sugar right off with some vanilla and toast. That's followed by bitter lemon, which is the best I can describe it. That resolves into cinnamon, but not a hot cinnamon. More like the sugar and cinnamon with butter combination I used to put on my toast when I was younger. Moderate finish.

For $12.50 a liter, how can that be anything but good?

bigtoys
08-10-2007, 23:48
Had my first Manhattan at Wildfire. Asked for Maker's instead of their usual Basil. Bartender said he usually didn't use bitters but I asked for them. Made sure there'd be no grenadine. Enjoyed it. Looking forward to making them at home, maybe with Pappy 15.

Sipped a Heineken Dark watching the Cubs win again over the Rockies.

gothbat
08-10-2007, 23:49
C Ė Coppery brown.

N Ė Leathery but a little stale.

T Ė Thereís a bit of chocolate with some caramel up front but dissipates quickly and Iím left with a woody taste, almost tastes like an old cork smells. There is a lot of burn, even for a 101 proof bourbon.

F Ė A bit hot, not in a bad way.

A bit of water seemed to take the edge off and make the chocolate last a little longer but it also made the nose stale, better there than in the taste I guess.

This was my first pour of Rowans Creek and overall I thought it was a good break from the wheaters Iíve been drinking almost exclusively these past few weeks. I think Iíll give it another go tomorrow but for now itís a bit of Weller Antique.

Phischy
08-11-2007, 00:29
My 2nd bottle of Lot B....the only one open.... good stuff. I like the initial and lingering spice. I love black pepper, this is good stuff. Also a night of drinking double IPA (aka San Diego Pale Ales)...I'm looped and a good ending!

ggilbertva
08-11-2007, 08:19
Let's see, last night I poured a healthy dram (e.g. more than I usually pour) of Old Fitz Prime 80 (Distilled late 80's bottled '92). Of course at 80 proof it's a little light but not so light that it's boring. Good flavor and definately the SW nose.

heatmiser
08-11-2007, 08:58
Last night was mainly a scotch night. Me and a few buddies had Scapa 14, Clynelish 14 and Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Although all three were very very good, the Clynelish took first place. The evening was complete when I poured everyone a dram of GTS...

Jake_Parrott
08-14-2007, 18:34
Pewter-top WT KS. Man this is good stuff. Not exactly summery, but wow. Great leather, complex spice.

fog
08-14-2007, 21:34
Earlier I had some ETL. I do not care for ETL much; I finished my pour after the addition of some Sprite.

Now I am having some Eagle Rare 101, New Orleans. This one is definitely in my top 5. Tonight it tastes perfect.

I have not yet tried the single barrel expression. I am praying that I will find it as enjoyable.

ggilbertva
08-15-2007, 07:17
Last night, I grabbed what was front on center on the shelf.....early 80's Old Fitz BIB. :bowdown:

ratcheer
08-15-2007, 15:02
A large pour of Elmer T. Lee on lots of rocks. Yum! :yum: It is 103 F outside and I had a pretty rough day at the office.

Tim

HighTower
08-15-2007, 15:35
Last night I had some EC18, haven't had it for a while, had forgotten how much I like this bourbon!

Scott

ggilbertva
08-15-2007, 16:19
Right now...a tall ginger and Fighting Cock. The Rye and ginger really is fantastic together.

Aged In Oak
08-15-2007, 18:40
The weather has cooled down some, so for me tonight it's a bit of Booker's with just a little water mixed in to take the edge off. Mmmmmm... good!

CrispyCritter
08-15-2007, 18:50
I took the Red Hook and substituted Luxardo triple sec for the maraschino, but still used Punt e Mes and Rittenhouse BIB, using 2 oz. rye, 2/3 oz. Punt e Mes, and 1/3 oz. triple sec, plus a generous dash of Peychaud's bitters. Yum!

Next up: probably Blanton's.

ggilbertva
08-15-2007, 19:31
WLW '06 with a wee splash of water....

that's good....

ILLfarmboy
08-15-2007, 19:32
Christian Brothers brandy and 7-up.

Gillman
08-15-2007, 19:43
Weller 107 with a dash of FRSB (the Single Barrel) added, I made this up in the bottle, adding about 1 part FRSB to 8 or so of the other. I felt the Weller needed something and elected to go with something spicy and sweet to fill it out a bit, and also, something approximately the same age. The result is just superb, spicy-sweet, the flavour of the 107 dominates but is deeper and more complex than normal.

Before that a bit of the 1970's HH 86 proof, since we were discussing that the other night. It is stamped 1982 on the bottle underside, so probably distilled in 1978 or so. It is an interesting drink, heavy-bodied, with a definite corn/cereal/oil nose. The body is silky soft and the finish (first drink) has notes of candy, wood/creosote, rye and still some oil. The result is very complex. In the second drink, the oil disappears, assisting merely the texture. I think the old-timers knew that the first drink was "real whiskey" and the second one comes into its own, like when you gear up in a standard shift until reaching the right speed and you don't need to shift anymore, the clutch and gear shift have done their work.

Gary

ggilbertva
08-15-2007, 19:51
Weller 107 with a dash of FRSB (the Single Barrel) added, I made this up in the bottle, adding about 1 part FRSB to 8 or so of the other. I felt the Weller needed something and elected to go with something spicy and sweet to fill it out a bit, and also, something approximately the same age. The result is just superb, spicy-sweet, the flavour of the 107 dominates but is deeper and more complex than normal.

Before that a bit of the 1970's HH 86 proof, since we were discussing that the other night. It is stamped 1982 on the bottle underside, so probably distilled in 1978 or so. It is an interesting drink, heavy-bodied, with a definite corn/cereal/oil nose. The body is silky soft and the finish (first drink) has notes of candy, wood/creosote, rye and still some oil. The result is very complex. In the second drink, the oil disappears, assisting merely the texture. I think the old-timers knew that the first drink was "real whiskey" and the second one comes into its own, like when you gear up in a standard shift until reaching the right speed and you don't need to shift anymore, the clutch and gear shift have done their work.

Gary

Ok Gary, now you got me all spun up to get those old bottles of HH. Couple of weeks I'll have them in hand and I'll report back then.

blux
08-15-2007, 20:37
Basil Hayden's. What a great flavor. It is a little lighter than some of my other pours but the sweetness lasts a long time.

Eggman
08-16-2007, 15:47
Howdy,

Jim Beam white label.

Eggman

SBOmarc
08-16-2007, 19:07
GTS Fall '05. After the day at work from hell, the high proof makes so much sense.

ThomasH
08-16-2007, 19:12
this week so far, ORVW 10/107, JD single Barrel, Rowans Creek, Very Rare Old Heaven Hill BIB, Old Fitz 1849, Makers Mark mint julep, Weller Antique 107!

Thomas

Gillman
08-16-2007, 19:20
Blanton 94 proof (a little too earthy for me) and Wiser's 18 years old (very nice, a concentrated, very Canadian flavor).

I didn't blend them. Trying to suss out the straight rye component of the Wiser's.

Gary

TNbourbon
08-16-2007, 19:53
Blanton 94 proof (a little too earthy for me) ...

Gary, your post reminds me -- I also have found Blanton's, in general, 'earthy' to the point of ordinary -- that I recently traded for a Straight-From-the-Barrel (130.9 proof, 9/23/05, Barrel #85; thanks, Wade! -- and the best Blanton's I've ever had was a barrel sample at Bettye Jo's tasting contest last fall), and it isn't doing anyone any good sitting in that pretty jewel bottle on my shelf. So, having finished one of Charles' (cubacroc's; thanks, Charles!) S-W Weller 12s tonight (a nice bottling -- not the best Stitzel-Weller, but better than 'most anything else), I have a space on the sideboard:
Gary, I still get a nose that I'd be delighted about in a handful of grain-field dirt -- pungent nitrogen, lime, fungal (which can be related to floral smells, a la hyacinths and/or cinnamon) -- but the high proof accentuates the rye-grain/barrel spice (also cinnamon-ic). Still, it remains disconcertingly dry. Might be great with nuts or fatty meat (think pepperoni), but just isn't for neat sipping.

Added a cube -- better, but still very dry

pausted
08-16-2007, 20:21
Tonight it is a nice bit of BT on the rocks. It is finally available in South Texas. I used to have to import it from Houston. A really fine whiskey!
BH

CrispyCritter
08-16-2007, 20:58
Dickel Barrel Select for the first pour, and now I'm sipping Old Fitz 1849.

SBOmarc
08-16-2007, 21:11
A Manhattan. Sazerac Jr and Noilly Prat Sweet at 4 to 1. Dashed with Angostura, a nice orange twist accompanied by a dark cherry.

yep...

Phischy
08-16-2007, 23:11
My mocha porter ale....damn good stuff!

CrispyCritter
08-17-2007, 19:53
Bernheim Straight Wheat for openers... hmmm, maybe I'll run through a straight wheat, wheated bourbon, ryed bourbon, straight rye progression. BSW -> Lot B -> FRSingleBarrel -> VWFRR sounds good.

Snoogins47
08-17-2007, 20:19
Finishing up a little Knob Creek neat, and then who knows... whatever I can find at whatever bar I end up at. This is my first experience with the ubiquitous small batch collection, and it's quite tasty.

TBoner
08-18-2007, 19:31
Right now, some Eldorado 15yo rum, neat in a snifter. This is a nice pour: spiced candy, oaky vanilla, a whiff of smoke. Long and complex finish.

I suppose I'm due for another of CrispyCritter's Front Street cocktails, too, but I've got a hankering for Lot B. Decisions, decisions.

CrispyCritter
08-18-2007, 21:41
Heh... I had a Front Street earlier tonight (with Rittenhouse BIB), and then a pour of Old Fitzgerald BIB, and now some Old Fitz 1849.

darkluna
08-19-2007, 09:52
I'm revisiting Weller Antique 107. I had tried a bottle previously that I didn't really care for. But, I decided to give it another shot because of the price ($19.99) proof (107) and age (7 yrs). I'm not sure if my palate has changed, or what, but I'm really enjoying this bottle!

mulbish
08-19-2007, 16:12
Well, I broke down and got myself a 750 of Eagle Rare single barrel 10yr old at the Liquer Barn on the way home from work this afternoon. This was ACDetroit's suggestion for my next bourbon.

So, ACDetroit if your out there tonight give me a shout and tell me what I should be looking for. I'll say this..it's strong. I don't know if it's stronger than what I've had in the past or maybe it's just what I was doing prior (worked 8hrs, ran 2.5mi, ate dinner).

It's a pretty bottle and I got it for 'round $25. As I write this and sip on it (neat by the way), it seems mellower. Though still leaves behind a little pepper feelin on my tongue.

I'll pm ACDetroit and see if he's about. But anyone else feel free to advise here.

thanks, Bill

Special Reserve
08-19-2007, 17:52
Not AC but I too like ER10SB. It's my current favorite pour. Around here it is ca $28.00/750 mL. But in the latest price increase the 1750 mL size did not have a price increase while the smaller sizes did. Looks like I'll be buying the larger size.

Grain Brain
08-19-2007, 19:56
Cracked open an Old Forrester bonded bottled in '90 last night. It was a lot better than I had tasted before from an even older 200mL bottle. It was great straight, with ginger ale, and also made a kick ass homemade coffee flavored vanilla shake.

ACDetroit
08-19-2007, 21:10
Sorry for the delay but I had to run down a grab some ERSB 10yr for this.

I truly like the mellowness of this bottle and the finish is a sweetness followed by a faint char of oak and that hint of spice. It does go in a bit warm but at our last tasting event with friends it was number one in its price range. Just a half a straw of water really opens this up and if I remember takes off some of the initial heat

My favorite that night was an old bottle of Rock Hill Farm but anyway.

Hope you enjoy the ERSB 10yr and congratulations on the 750ml.

With my glass of ERSB in hand Cheers!

CrispyCritter
08-19-2007, 22:27
Aside from my Rittenhouse/Punt e Mes Front Street cocktail, I had a pour of Four Roses Single Barrel, and I just finished an Old Fitz BIB for a nightcap.

mulbish
08-20-2007, 03:51
Special Reserve & AC, thanks for the responses. The ERSB 10yr was very tasty. I don't know that I tasted all that AC suggested, but I think this is a learned and aquired process (of which I'll enjoy immensely). I turned in early and slept well.:22:

ggilbertva
08-20-2007, 06:17
Yesterday, I went to open a bottle of RR101 10 year and off pops the plastic top, leaving the cork inside the bottle. Arrgh.:smiley_acbt:

So, ever so carefully, got the wine opener out and slowly began to screw into the cork....it starts to slip lower in the neck but not until I had enough of a grasp that I could pull it out.

RR101 and Ginger....nice combo.:grin:

OscarV
08-20-2007, 14:53
I opened it Friday and drank a lot over the weekend.

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.
Bottled 11-2-06
Barrel no. 139
Warehouse P
Rick no. 49
101 proof

If I could only have one brand of bourbon the rest of my life, then I would choose WTKS.

HighTower
08-20-2007, 15:36
If I could only have one brand of bourbon the rest of my life, then I would choose WTKS.

Oscar,

I'm with you there, mate.....I love that stuff!! Might have to have some this weekend!

Scott

SBOmarc
08-20-2007, 15:41
I alternate between KS and Rare Breed for my favorite WT pour. Then again I have a bottle of Tribute bunkered.

ILLfarmboy
08-20-2007, 19:12
Eagle Rare 17yr. '06. This is the first time I've had any of the 17 year. It's less woody than I thought it would be. I find Saz 18yr. to be very woody so I was expecting more wood from the ER. I am enjoying it immensely. I had half a snifter before supper and the second half plus a bit more along with a nice New York strip. Just now finishing up the last bit and sniffing the glass. MMMM Should I pour some more?

Iluvanejos
08-20-2007, 19:28
Am on glass #2 of WLW 06 while doing the first annual straightbourbon.com fantasy football draft!!

bluesbassdad
08-20-2007, 19:59
I agree regarding the woodiness of the Saz 18 y/o.

I poured a generous drink of it last night, inspired by someone's comment about how the rye shines through. The rye is there, for sure. In fact it dominates the nose.

However, the palate is a different matter. Wood comes to the fore, although not as aggressively as in EC 18 or even Ezra B 15 y/o.

I like it a lot, but I wouldn't use it to demonstrate the essential rye flavors to a newbie.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Brennan77
08-20-2007, 22:36
About to pour another finger of Eagle Rare 10yo SB. It's a good pour for staying up late with the TV. :)

SBOmarc
08-20-2007, 22:46
While drafting in the SB.com fantasy draft, a WTKS, and an OGD 114.

Rejoined the Fam and enjoyed a Buffalo Trace, deciding that I had a solid roster. Let's Play!

wku88
08-20-2007, 22:49
Weller Special Reserve, VROHH, and Ezra 12....The Beam boys win out tonite!

bigtoys
08-20-2007, 23:22
Took Tues and Wed off as vacation hours were building up.
Enjoying my 2nd pour of Lot B and watching Entourage. It's like an extra weekend.:slappin:

HighTower
08-21-2007, 05:07
Tonight I had some Rock Hill Farms, some WTKS, then some funky Buffalo Trace, I (along with the staff at the bar) think it was a bad bottle.
I then had a pour of Redbreast 15yo, I liked it, but I think it was a bad idea drinking it after the bourbon.

Scott

heatmiser
08-21-2007, 11:03
Last night I had some Old Forester BIB from the 1970's. WOW! That is one heck of a bourbon! I broke out some Old Fitzgerald BIB bottled in the early 1980's and Old Forester BIB took the honors. I am glad I have numerous bottles of this bunkered away!!!

mulbish
08-21-2007, 18:42
Eagle Rare 10yo SB w/ just a splash and a few cubes...it really is delicous this way...more so than neat, I think. yes, quite 'licous, enchanting in fact. I fear I shall run out 'fore I quench.

ggilbertva
08-21-2007, 19:26
Redbreast 12 year. First time and it's very good...Illfarmboy knows his Irish.

squire
08-21-2007, 19:50
Two fingers of Rock Hill Farms with an equal amount of water over ice, consumed over a two hour period while working late at the office. There's alot to like about this dram.

Regards,
Squire

Aged In Oak
08-21-2007, 20:47
My first taste of Van Winkle Lot B, neat from a Riedel bourbon glass. What a whiskey! It's certainly living up to my expectations. I may have to go buy a few more bottles to stash...

bigtoys
08-21-2007, 23:14
Pappy 15 tonight followng the Cubs 9th inning rally to beat the Giants. The bottle that spent last summer and winter and the better part of this summer in the garage survived just fine.

full_proof
08-22-2007, 20:05
Sam Adams Lager with two fingers of Old Weller Antique (107) followed by Sam Adams Honey Porter with two of Bushmills Original. Bourbon beats Scotch and Irish every time.

HipFlask
08-22-2007, 20:56
Woodford Reserve yesterday neat out of snifter. WT Rye tonight. hope the Cubs go down though. Go Brew Crew! I am on vacation next week so I will have to pick up something specail. Saz Rye and PVW lot B should do the trick.

CrispyCritter
08-22-2007, 22:48
To start, my first version of the Front Street (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7659) cocktail (Rittenhouse BIB/Vya), then a flight of Van Winkles: first a G-series VWFRR, then Lot B, and now a half-pour of Pappy 15 for a nightcap.

OscarV
08-23-2007, 14:20
A bourbon mist made with the standard yellow label Four Roses.

Aged In Oak
08-23-2007, 17:25
Rye and ginger (Old Overholt and Canada Dry). Very refreshing after a long day!

mulbish
08-23-2007, 19:38
cabin creek, as suggested by my liquor world clerk for a bourbon tonight. I had never heard of it, it looked interesting, and I like it. But to be honest, I don't recall a bourbon I've met that I didn't like...so....maybe I need a private tutor on the particulars of this, 'cause I'm not seeing it, dag nabit.:smiley_acbt: anyway, cheers.

ACDetroit
08-23-2007, 20:08
Well it has been a long day! 7 @ work and a 7 hour drive. Mom made a great dinner and my dad and I sampled some 18 yr Distillers Masterpiece.

Ive switched to the 12yr. W.L. Weller it's going to get down in the low 50's tonight so sleeping is going to be great! Just a couple glasses to keep me warm.

barturtle
08-23-2007, 20:31
This evening trying a beer that's new to me:

Pierre Celis Signature Selection
Grotten Flemish Ale

7.7% Golden ale, I think it's in the Duvel mold, quite good.

I was hoping for something a bit more along the Flanders sour range, but am not upset about it

ILLfarmboy
08-24-2007, 18:36
WT Rare Breed. It's nice to experiment and drink other bourbons, other whisk(e)ys for that matter, but it's nice to come home to an old favorite.

CrispyCritter
08-24-2007, 19:29
First an experimental drink that I'll call the Chocolate Cherry Bomb:

2 oz. OGD BIB
1/2 oz. Cherry Heering
1/2 oz. chocolate liqueur (I used part of a mini I had of Godiva Dark)I might want to tinker with proportions on this one, but this version is quite tasty anyway.

Now, a Johnnie Walker Black/Punt e Mes variation of my Front Street cocktail.

pausted
08-24-2007, 20:21
Some Jim Beam Black on lots of rocks.

Aged In Oak
08-24-2007, 20:31
Blanton's, neat. For some reason, seems to taste slightly different than the last time I had some a couple months back. Maybe my palate is becoming more refined? That, or I just have a bad memory. :slappin:

ggilbertva
08-24-2007, 21:39
WLW '06 with a splash of water.

SBOmarc
08-24-2007, 22:28
Blanton's, on one cube in a low ball. More than one...

wadewood
08-25-2007, 00:31
AAA 107 @ Palominas in Seattle

HighTower
08-25-2007, 02:45
I started off with a mint julep made with Maker's Mark. Then moved on to a freshly opened Buffalo Trace, confirming the pour I had of this from the other night was a bad bottle. I then proceeded with some Canadian Club 20yo.
Then I got into the Blanton's straight from the barrel, followed by some 06 WLW with a piece of chocolagte fudge. Superb!
What's next? Only time will tell!

Scott

RedVette
08-25-2007, 15:12
EWSB 1997. This is a Heaven Hill Bourbon, and it is pretty tasty. Might just have to have another one, or two.

OscarV
08-25-2007, 15:14
More yellow label Four Roses ala Bourbon Mist.

melting
08-25-2007, 18:38
Johnnie Walker Black watching the Bristol Race.

Chris

Snoogins47
08-25-2007, 19:26
Weller Antique 7 neat here, though earlier I finally picked up a bottle of 'Lot B' and had a bit of it neat as well, talk about delicious.

ggilbertva
08-25-2007, 21:17
Too much tonight. Had a BBQ with family and started sampling a bunch of open bottles:

WLW '06
Old Forester BIB (70's)
Eagle Rare 101 10 year
Old Charter 7 year (82)
Eagle Rare 17
RR 101 10 year

This was my first try of the Eagle Rare 101. Really nice nose of candied fruit, maybe malt balls. Great entry and a some tang on the finish.

mozilla
08-25-2007, 21:34
Greg,
was that Charter 80 or 86 proof. Tboner hooked me up with a taste of the 86 and IMO it was much better than the 80.

ggilbertva
08-25-2007, 21:56
Greg,
was that Charter 80 or 86 proof. Tboner hooked me up with a taste of the 86 and IMO it was much better than the 80.

That's the 86 proof. I opened a 200ml tonight from the same timeframe as the two I picked up today. The nose has a distinct floral note to it. Did you pick up the same?

blux
08-25-2007, 22:18
Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10. What a great taste. I have been drinking this one for six or seven nights in a row and ignoring my other bottles. It just tastes so good!

Jake_Parrott
08-26-2007, 16:12
So it's quite warm in my house right now (most of the back of my house faces SW and is windows), so I just wanted something soothing, on the rocks. Like many of us, I have a lot of old/dusty bottles open, whiskeys that deserve more consideration (and/or comparative tasting) than was the order of the day right now. So I reached toward the back, and what did I spear? Current-release BT. As soothing as your favorite warm blanket. Or at least the equivalent on a hot day.

ggilbertva
08-27-2007, 18:53
I went back to the Old Forester BIB tonight. At first nose, I'm picking up ripe apples. I had this on Saturday, but to be honest, I had sampled many bourbons and think my palate was a little numb by the time I hit the OFBIB. Tonight though, it's simply wonderful. :grin:

Sijan
08-27-2007, 20:25
I started off with a tasting of a newly acquired dusty bottle - Benchmark Premium Bourbon. This is before it was acquired by Sazerac and labeled McAfee's. It says "Distilled by the Old Benchmark Distilling Co., Louisville, KY." Has a faux tax stamp and bottom of the bottle appears to indicate it was bottled around 1987. It is fairly sweet and simple, with a reasonably enjoyable standard bourbon finish. Nothing real exciting, no complexity, but also nothing real objectionable and a pleasant bourbon overall. At 80 proof it feels a bit weak and watered down.

I 'm also drinking OGD BIB tonight. I'm doing a comparison between the DSP-KY-14 bottlings I just acquired and a current bottling of OGD BIB from DSP-KY-230. The dusty bottle find has print on the faux tax strip that reads "Aged 8 Years / Bottled Fall 1989." (After tasting it, I'm somewhat surprised - and a bit skeptical - that it's only 8 years old.)

Curiously, at least in this first tasting, I think I like the newer OGD BIB better. The older OGD has a really good nose - both floral and spicy, and is very rich and spicy early on the palate, but then some really strong wood and acerbic, astringent notes take over and follow through in a finish that I find somewhat unpleasant. It reminds me of an old, overly woody Heaven Hill whiskey, like EC18. It is definitely more intense than the newer OGD BIB, but not in a good way for me. I am surprised that a bourbon could become this woody in just 8 years...

The newer OGD, by comparison, seems to have a milder, lighter nose and comes on much more slowly on the palate, but then has a much more complex, evolving combination of flavors as it drains off my tongue. The finish is still a bit acerbic, but not nearly to the degree of the older OGD and there is none of the real heavy wood taste.

Not sure what to make of this. Had heard great things about the OGD BIB from DSP-KY-14, but it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea at all. We'll see how it evolves now that it's been opened and has some oxygen get into it, I guess.

TBoner
08-27-2007, 22:23
Dan,

If you find that the older OGD BIB is not to your liking, let me know. Seriously. It's my favorite whiskey ever. I'll be happy to buy or trade.

Oxygen should help it, though. It always has for me.

Sijan
08-28-2007, 00:00
Tim, I do have enough for trade. PM me.

So, do you notice some of the same things I mention in my tasting notes, and you just enjoy that taste/experience, or do you experience the bourbon differently?

TBoner
08-28-2007, 06:02
I do pick up a lot of the floral and spice notes you mention in your notes, which you say you love.

I have a few bottles that were bottled in 1988 with an 8-yr age statement on the faux tax strip, so they should be comparable to yours. I definitely get more wood on the palate than in current OGD, but it doesn't seem excessive to me. Instead, the dominant experience for me is one of rich fruitiness: plum and apricot, mostly. I also find the spice is a bit subdued by the wood as compared to the current version, but there's still no doubt it's a high-rye bourbon.

You mention an acerbic finish, which I haven't found in the bottles I've sampled. I have definitely detected it in some other overly woody bourbons, specifically some EC. It's possible that even though your bottles and mine have similar age statements and are from the same era, the whiskey in your bottles is either much older or was aged in a different part of the warehouse(s) and picked up barrel character much faster. It could be the same batch of distillate aged one year longer, which turned out to be one year too long.

I have found most all ND products benefit from bottle breathing, so see what a few days worth of oxygen does for the whiskey.

Sijan
08-28-2007, 09:41
It sounds like we appreciate the same types of things in our whiskey. I'm either perceiving this whiskey differently than you or it is substantially different from the ND OGD BIB that you enjoy. Perhaps it will improve with more oxygen exposure.

Just curious - when you say "bottle breathing" do you mean leaving the cap off the bottle, or cappling the bottle and letting the bottle "breathe" the new oxygen to which it's been exposed. I assume most folks mean the latter, but it strikes me as not altogether implausible that one might leave a cap off of a bottle for a day or two to achieve a similar, albeit much more accelerated, oxidizing effect. Anyone tried this?

SBOmarc
08-28-2007, 11:14
It has never occured to me to do that. As I remember posts here cautioning that leaving the cork or the cap off would be harmful to the whiskey. I do notice changes once the bottle has been opened.

darkluna
08-28-2007, 11:56
On impulse, I rescued a forlorn pewter-topped Kentucky Spirit. I swapped it out with one I had in my bunker that was bottled on the same day (06-11-2001) that had a slightly lower fill. Mmmmm-boy, this is good stuff.

Is there a general consensus on how old WTKS is?

RedVette
08-28-2007, 16:53

12? As I understand it, the pewter tops, were the first single barrels from WT, therefore they had the pick of some very fine barrels available. As they have done more premium bottlings since then the availability of super fine product has diminished.

I will agree that a Pewter topped KS is an amazing Bourbon.

gothbat
08-28-2007, 18:36

6 years old as per the Bourbon Database. There's no age statement on the bottle but I would assume the database is reliable.

Sijan
08-28-2007, 21:21
Trying out a splash of Springbank 10/100 for the first time. Very nice dram. Complex, classic nose - sweet and seasalty, a bit butterscotchy. Seems a little subtle at first on the palate - sweet at first, then more complex flavors -and really comes on with a long, lasting finish. I'm glad I picked this one up.

T47
08-28-2007, 23:29
I had a group of friends from work over for dinner. We have been friends for about 20 years.
I took the day off and got up bright and early to start the BBQ. Threw 2 Pork Butts and a Brisket on the smoker at 5:30 AM and then spent most of the day prepping appetizers and side dishes.
As we relaxed on the deck afterwards, of course I offered up any of my bottles for them to try. The 2006 Stagg was the one that hit the most eyes. It really is a beautiful bottle. And they saw....140.6 Proof!!! With a few ice cubes and a nice slice of apple pie, it was the perfect end to a wonderful evening.
Good friends, Good food, and Good Bourbon...now that's a good day.

mozilla
08-29-2007, 06:33
Dan,
Try the 15 year old Springbank. It is one of my favorite scotches. Very well ballanced and complex.
Jeff Mo.

HighTower
08-29-2007, 06:38
Weller 12.....this should be illegal. Kudos to Brett Pontoni for this selection, this is divine. I now know what I have been missing in the wheat department!

Scott

ggilbertva
08-29-2007, 10:39
Last night was a small pour of Weller Antique 107.

mozilla
08-29-2007, 18:05
Started to finish off some nearly gone bottles. First, Bellows 80 1.75ml ca.1991. Second, 4yr Benchmark 2001.
Too hot for high proof.
Jeff Mo.

ggilbertva
08-29-2007, 20:41
Old Fitz BIB; distilled 1976. What a terrific bourbon. :yum:

mulbish
08-30-2007, 19:25
W.L. Weller Special Reserve, And I must say I've met yet another bourbon that I like. This is an especially good bourbon for the money I think.

SBOmarc
08-30-2007, 19:55
Seeing as how it was a robust 109 today, Makers, lemonade, club soda, spigs of mint and a slice of candied lemon.

pausted
08-30-2007, 20:19
I'm drinking some Old Charter 10yo over ice. Very nice. I bought this bottle a few days ago at a liquor store I frequent. It is a 750ml with a shrinked wrap Ducks Unlimited wrapper on it. It says "Old Charter Distillery, Louisville, KY. I did a search about this but didn't find much. Can any of you tell m about this?
BH

CrispyCritter
08-30-2007, 20:22
Old Fitzgerald BIB (DSP-KY-1). Since it's actually a bit chilly tonight, its warmth is appreciated.

mozilla
08-30-2007, 20:25
I'm drinking some Old Charter 10yo over ice. Very nice. I bought this bottle a few days ago at a liquor store I frequent. It is a 750ml with a shrinked wrap Ducks Unlimited wrapper on it. It says "Old Charter Distillery, Louisville, KY. I did a search about this but didn't find much. Can any of you tell m about this?
BH
What would you like to know?
Jeff Mo.

pausted
08-30-2007, 20:32
Is it simply a marketing item or is it anything special?
Should I buy a couple bottles or just go with the new BT bottling? They are selling for $16.99.
BH

luv2hunt
08-30-2007, 20:35
Simply marketing darling.

BourbonJoe
08-30-2007, 20:36
Four Roses Single Barrel hit the spot tonight, along with a great Padilla cigar.
Joe :usflag:

mozilla
08-30-2007, 21:46
Is it simply a marketing item or is it anything special?
Should I buy a couple bottles or just go with the new BT bottling? They are selling for $16.99.
BH
The whiskey was made late in the UD life-cycle, bottled in 1999 in owensboro dsp-24. There is a chance that it could be dsp113 or some other distillery altogether. Who knows with all that UD had in those days. Taste is very Charter and fits the profile well. If it cost more than some other Charter then leave it be. 16.99 seems a little high.
Jeff Mo.

pausted
08-31-2007, 10:21
Thanks, Jeff. You told me what I wanted to know.
BH

Martian
08-31-2007, 17:12
I am always trying something new so I opened a bottle of AAA 10 Star. There's a lot of flavor and rye spice there but the finish has an odd taste that I can't describe. In this proof and price range, I much prefer EW Black and Ezra Brooks Black.

OscarV
08-31-2007, 17:16
Wild Turkey Rare Breed, neat.

mozilla
08-31-2007, 17:21
None of the three are perfect. I prefer the 10Star $25.99/1.75 for the nose and balance. The Brooks is real tuff to drink neat and I have not tried the current EWB in some time. I did enjoy my bottle from 1985, the 200th anniv. issue.
Jeff Mo.

SBOmarc
08-31-2007, 18:30
OGD 114 over one large cube. It cuts the proof just enough for me to get the spice. This reminds me slightly of the OGD from long ago.

snakster
08-31-2007, 19:28
Last of my Buffalo Trace. One cube (summertime, ya know).