PDA

View Full Version : Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Pages : [1] 2

Vange
07-19-2007, 17:15
I found this post somewhere on another site. Any truth to it?
If so, my bottle has an 'H' and then a 4 digit number.

"The original Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 year old rye was released as such in bottles labeled with a number and followed by the letter "A." In subsequent years, as the whiskey was allowed to continue aging, it was released with the letters "B" and so forth. It eventually came to pass that the aging process was arrested at 19 years old, it was combined with another rye whiskey of the same age, and is still being released under the name Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 year old rye. The letter under which this, the "final release" began was, if memory serves me correctly, the letter "F."

Prior to the letter "F", this would have been the original Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 year old rye, released under the same label, but in fact aging to about 18 years or so in the process. From what I understand, this has to do with having to register new labels for each state, pay each state's licensing fees, etc., so why print new labels and go through all that expense and hassle every year?

I further understand that the proprietors of the label Van Winkle have begun processing of a new rye whiskey to be released under this mark when it reaches 13 years old, in order to have a steady supply of whiskey to be available for this label to remain part of the Van Winkle product stable.

So, the "final release" of the Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 year old rye was a different animal indeed, from the original whiskey selected to bear that name, which is why the same label, albeit two different whiskeys, occupy my Top Ten Rye list. "

barturtle
07-19-2007, 19:56
Sounds about right...there have been some discussions about that on this board as well...a search might even turn up Julian himself speaking on the matter.

MikeK
07-20-2007, 05:27
That's generally accurate. I did chase all these threads down at one point.

The first bottling was in the late 90's and had the 'A' code. Each year after that the letter increases. At some point around 18/19 years Julian put the rye into stainless so it would stop aging. He's also got some 'new' rye by BT already aging. Once that reaches 13yo he'll start using it. He's rationing the 'old' rye to last until the 'new' rye comes of age.

So yes, each letter code represents a year older up until 'G' or 'H' and then it is a constant. I'd love to try an earlier letter code to see how it has evolved...

doubleblank
07-20-2007, 07:02
I think everything above is generally right too in that the current bottling is a blend of the original rye that was tanked and a seperate rye. 350 cases a year is the annual production until the new supply kicks in.

Also, there was a release without any letter associated with it. I'd speculate this may have been the first release and then he started lettering each following release. I brought a bottle of this to the 2007 Sampler.

Randy

Gillman
07-20-2007, 07:09
Agreed all 'round. The separate rye was I understand Cream Of Kentucky from Bernheim (that has appeared on its own in various guises as Chuck has explained). The now defunct Old Time rye at 12 years was the same rye as the pre-mingling ORVW 13, except at a fixed 12 or maybe 13 years barrel age. The odd bottle can still be found on a shelf. It seems closest to the ORVW 13 when first bottled although some people felt it was different somewhat, this could be relayed to batching factors. Anyway, all fine whiskey. Counter-intuitively perhaps, it makes a great Manhattan and only minimal vermouth is needed.

Gary

Gillman
07-20-2007, 07:10
Agreed all 'round. The separate rye was I understand Cream Of Kentucky from Bernheim (that has appeared on its own in various guises as Chuck has explained). The now defunct Old Tyme rye at 12 years was the same rye as the pre-mingling ORVW 13, except at a fixed 12 or maybe 13 years barrel age. The odd bottle can still be found on a shelf. It seems closest to the ORVW 13 when first bottled although some people felt it was different somewhat, this could be related to batching factors. Anyway, all fine whiskey. Counter-intuitively perhaps, it makes a great Manhattan and only minimal vermouth is needed.

Gary

BourbonJoe
07-20-2007, 07:28
The first bottling was in the late 90's and had the 'A' code. Each year after that the letter increases. At some point around 18/19 years Julian put the rye into stainless so it would stop aging. He's also got some 'new' rye by BT already aging. Once that reaches 13yo he'll start using it. He's rationing the 'old' rye to last until the 'new' rye comes of age.

So yes, each letter code represents a year older up until 'G' or 'H' and then it is a constant. I'd love to try an earlier letter code to see how it has evolved...

I have a "B" series from 2000 and also an "H" series from 2006, if that helps nail down the dates.
Joe :usflag:

Vange
07-20-2007, 07:52
I tried to search but had difficulty tracking this stuff down. Thanks for the info guys.

jinenjo
07-23-2007, 14:28
Does anyone know when the next expression will come out? I bought my only bottle of the VWFR Rye two years ago. It had a G on the label.

mozilla
07-23-2007, 22:18
Mine has an F on the label, though I'm not sure how to date it. It's by far the best rye I've ever tasted. Way to pick-em Julian!!!

BourbonJoe
07-24-2007, 08:19
"F" would be 2004.

drli
10-27-2007, 18:22
Just picked up 2 bottles today with an I.

MikeK
10-29-2007, 11:08
My buddy Art has a 'C' or 'D' (I forget which) bottle open right now. It tastes very different than the more recent bottlings. I has a very distinctive 60's/early 70's flavor to it, if you know what I mean. I've got a Preiss labeled bottle in the bunker, which I think is about the same vintage. At some point I'll have to open it to compare.

Gillman
10-29-2007, 12:58
I think with, or after, F it became a mingling and the new component was (apparently - I'm not sure) some of that well-aged Cream of Kentucky rye that is the source, apparently again, of probably most of the recent bottlings of extra-matured straight rye (other than Rittenhouse 21 and 23 year olds).

Gary

fussychicken
12-01-2007, 12:53
This question comes up so much and I get confused myself, so I hunted down all the posts and made what I think is the correct story. Let me know if you have any extra info.

barturtle
12-01-2007, 13:03
This question comes up so much and I get confused myself, so I hunted down all the posts and made what I think is the correct story. Let me know if you have any extra info.

Looks good, except the oldest BT rye stock (the current Saz Jr stuff) should now be about 9 years old...the VW could therefore be BT distilled stock in only 4 years. However Julian said in 2004 that they tanked a 13 year supply

fussychicken
12-01-2007, 17:32
However Julian said in 2004 that they tanked a 13 year supply

That is what I was going with as well.

My hope is that Julian has been allowed to tinker with the formula and make his own version instead of just taking an older version of the Saz Jr. Don't get me wrong, I love Saz Jr and Thomas Handy, but I don't see what harm it would cause to have another unique type of rye whiskey in the market!

Docholiday
12-04-2007, 19:40
Does anyone know where Hirsch 13 year old kentucky straight Rye fits in to this picture. I believe that Julian once said that he bottled it. Bottled in Lawrenceburg. Green tinted bottle and black wax top.

barturtle
12-04-2007, 19:50
Does anyone know where Hirsch 13 year old kentucky straight Rye fits in to this picture. I believe that Julian once said that he bottled it. Bottled in Lawrenceburg. Green tinted bottle and black wax top.

Yes, he has said it was the same whiskey as the VWFRR. Same proof, same age as the VW-labeled stuff of the same vintage.

barturtle
12-04-2007, 19:57
That is what I was going with as well.

My hope is that Julian has been allowed to tinker with the formula and make his own version instead of just taking an older version of the Saz Jr. Don't get me wrong, I love Saz Jr and Thomas Handy, but I don't see what harm it would cause to have another unique type of rye whiskey in the market!

Well what makes one whiskey different from another is mainly aging and selection. Every current bourbon on the market comes from about 15 mashbills or so. Rye mashbills that are currently in production number about 5 (WT, HH(via BF), BT, Barton, JB). There is a lot more that can be achieved through aging and selection with the current mashbills than is being done right now.

Old Lamplighter
01-07-2008, 21:26
For the last few nights, I've been giving my "G" bottle of VWFRR another chance after the initial opening a few months back. I am growing more fond of it each evening. Maybe I am finally developing a bit of a taste for rye. Now, if I can just find that bottle of Rittenhouse BIB that I cracked open at the same time.....it should be even better as well.

Slob
01-24-2008, 15:30
My bottle is I2087. I am mightily impressed with it.

Old Lamplighter
01-24-2008, 18:00
I have been putting away several of the "I" bottles over the last few weeks. It is always in short supply wherever I go because so little is released each year. Like everything else, I am sure next year's "J" release will see a price increase. I sure wish I had put away some of it when I found it regularly under $30 just a few short years ago.

Attila
06-28-2008, 06:18
I just bought No. 1053 in Japan today. No letters whatsoever.

Letters or no, it is an amazing drink.

doubleblank
06-28-2008, 13:13
As I posted in another thread (and confirmed by Julian), the bottles in Japan w/o a letter prefix are from the original bottling when the whiskey was actually 13yo. The lettered ones are older whiskey.

Randy

nor02lei
08-02-2008, 10:42
I have revisited this brand yesterday and today after a long absence. It is a series H and it do strike me as being quit a bit better than the G bottle I had last, despite the fact that I know its from the same steel tank. This one is very spicy in the nose and taste and there is some real nice, a bit sour fruit under it. Itís also very, very sweet and chewy for a straight rye in general. Almost impossible to find any kind of overage signs. Maybe its my daily shape or sometimes bad taste memory that play a trick on me, but at the moment it actually feels that this particular bottle is one of the best van Winkle ryes I ever had.

Leif

NorCalBoozer
10-16-2008, 14:23
I tasted a new frankfort A bottle and next to the 07 Saz I much prefer the VW. I don't know how much the proof difference effects things but the VW is very spicy and thick. An aggressive Rye but no indication of major woodiness despite it age. For the same price of Saz 18, i'd much rather have the VW. You won't go wrong picking up a new frankfort A series.

Cudos once again to Van Winkle.....always good bourbon....and rye too!

Greg

Gillman
10-16-2008, 14:55
It's true, I had a bottle bought in Europe recently with no letter or number in the top rectangle but was Frankfort and appeared fresh stock - yet it is not woody at all. I wonder if it was mingled further when (apparently - I'm not sure) the lettering system has started again from nought. I saw a new-looking Frankfort A in New York recently...

I actually prefer this new bottling - whatever its composition - to the earlier fruit-forward, cherryish bottlings of VWFRR 13, certainly they seem smoother and well-integrated. Julian does it again, you have to hand it to him.

Gary

felthove
10-16-2008, 15:25
I bought a bottle of A stock in Seattle today at the state run liquor store. I thought finding an old "A" was not likely...looks like it is a new "A" bottling?

barturtle
10-16-2008, 15:32
I bought a bottle of A stock in Seattle today at the state run liquor store. I thought finding an old "A" was not likely...looks like it is a new "A" bottling?

Yeah, it seems so. I kinda hoping Julian will pop in and give us the skinny on this.

felthove
10-16-2008, 18:57
I had a glass this evening and it really is special stuff. Well worth the 47 dollars. Definitely a distinctive and complex rye. Stands up to the 15 year old bourbon and something I'd happily purchase again.

NorCalBoozer
10-17-2008, 11:11
I actually prefer this new bottling - whatever its composition - to the earlier fruit-forward, cherryish bottlings of VWFRR 13, certainly they seem smoother and well-integrated. Julian does it again, you have to hand it to him.

Gary

Agreed. I don't know if anything new was mingled in, but the flavor profiles he creates are nothing short of astounding. Considering we are all expecting that there is no possible way the next version could match the previous. We almost expect a let down but none comes. Not with ORVW 10, Lot B, Pappy 15, or the Rye.

I think it would be cool if Julian put out a bourbon or rye brand that was specifically a yearly profile. Something like the OFBB where every year a different profile is chosen. It would be fun to see where he would go if he could play outside the current Van Winkle profiles.

Greg

DrinkyBanjo
10-17-2008, 18:27
Okay, I'm confused. I have a "G" from a few years back and I bought an "A" yesterday. Any reason why they started over at "A" if it is the same tanked whiskey? If this was mentioned earlier I missed it and apologize. Shouldn't this year be "J"?

barturtle
10-17-2008, 18:34
Okay, I'm confused. I have a "G" from a few years back and I bought an "A" yesterday. Any reason why they started over at "A" if it is the same tanked whiskey? If this was mentioned earlier I missed it and apologize. Shouldn't this year be "J"?

Nope, we have not heard a reason for this, but I'm hoping someone will give us one.

jvanwinkle
10-24-2008, 08:51
Yes, we started back on the "A"'s for this year's bottling-2008.
Julian

Virus_Of_Life
10-25-2008, 04:53
Gosh darn it, it's almost as if he's trying to get us even more worked up on purpose! :skep: I could see someone practically soiling their shorts when they came across a shelf full of A-series bottles, only to read later they were the latest release! :banghead: ....

You do know there's more than 10 letters in the alphabet right Julian? :grin: :lol:

BourbonJoe
10-25-2008, 10:51
Gosh darn it, it's almost as if he's trying to get us even more worked up on purpose! :skep: I could see someone practically soiling their shorts when they came across a shelf full of A-series bottles, only to read later they were the latest release! :banghead: ....

Been there, done that. :hot:
Joe

barturtle
10-25-2008, 11:36
Hey, no heckling Julian!

I'm sure there was a perfectly good reason for doing this, one that I hope he'll share with us.

Anything we might find notable to associate with the restart of the letters, Julian?

Slob
10-25-2008, 12:18
I'm still judiciously sipping my I bottle, since I can't find any more of it where I am. The store I got it at was selling it for 30 bucks and the guy there told me he sure wasn't getting any more of it.

BourbonJoe
10-25-2008, 14:56
So how old is the new "A" bottling??

jvanwinkle
10-30-2008, 15:19
Sorry. I have no really good explanation of why we went back to A on the label.
Just wanted to keep you guys on your toes!!
All the bottlings from the last 6 years have been the rye we have stored in a SS tank to stop aging. It's really 19 years old whiskey. So you are getting a hell of a deal-for now.
Julian

PODSJP
10-30-2008, 16:34
All the bottlings from the last 6 years have been the rye we have stored in a SS tank to stop aging. It's really 19 years old whiskey. So you are getting a hell of a deal-for now.
Julian

Hello
Since Julian can't even give an explanation from the top. Maybe a newbe can even give it a try.

In vocal communication A is often misinterpeteded as J. As an example the Army never has a J company as it is confused with A in giving vocal orders. Could it be that simple a solution as somebody asking what is the new number to put on this run and someone said J and the recorder with maybe no history on the lettering routine wrongly hearing A. Simple answer may not be right . But let's hear a better reason... Since no one must of been checking why not ???? It is great Rye whisky even if it had P for a code letter . I love this website appreciate all of you !!! Pete

Gillman
10-30-2008, 16:52
What a great theory, I wonder if you are right. Fascinating info anyway, thank you.

Gary

SSWC
11-04-2008, 23:17
Julian
Julian, thank you for the clarification. I picked up bottles A001 and A002 several weeks ago in NYC - and was curious whether these were remnants forgotten and re-discovered in a warehouse or new stock. I have bottles open from releases D and F open and pour these often to introduce friends to the magnificence of American Rye.

SSWC

jinenjo
11-09-2008, 22:17
A quick question:

When will the VW Rye be from freshly aged spirit?

I know the Saz 18 is a long way off, but what about a 13 year old? BT started new rye in, what, '99?

jinenjo
11-12-2008, 21:29
In thinking about this further, I realized that Sam's in Chicago has had a private Saz Jr. 10 y.o. for close to two years now. That means Buffalo Trace has at least 12 year old rye juice sitting in some barrels for Julian.

Now that I'm on this, I sure would like to see a mid-aged Rye out there in the market.

nor02lei
11-14-2008, 10:52
I did a side by side today with Frankfurt B and H. The H is excellent from nose to finish while the B bottle also start off at least as good on the nose but dries out after a short time in the mouth and a lot of bitter tannins start too kick in. In the finish the B bottle are very woody and not pleasant at all.
As I understand/think these bottles are both 19,5 years but B is 100% Medley and H is 50% Medley + 50 % Bernheim. It seems to me not only from these 2 bottles that the old Bernheim rye can stand lot more age than the ones from Medley.
Reading this thread I have learned that the labelling has started all over again with A. I donít dare too post what I think about that.

Leif

BourbonJoe
11-14-2008, 18:40
Leif,
Your "B" bottling is only 15 years old. Strange that it would be woodier than the "H".

nor02lei
11-15-2008, 14:21
Leif,
Your "B" bottling is only 15 years old. Strange that it would be woodier than the "H".

Joe,

I did go mostly for the taste when I did assume it was 19 years. However the van Winkle did not join BT until 2002 and the whiskey is distilled 1984 or maybe 1985. That would make 15 years old theoretically impossible. It have to be at least 17 years old, but probably older.

Leif

BourbonJoe
11-16-2008, 20:35
Leif,
The first US release of VWFRR was in 1999. That was the "A" bottling at 14 y/o

Attila
11-17-2008, 01:35
The first US release of VWFRR was in 1999. That was the "A" bottling at 14 y/o

I wonder how different the new A Label VWFRR is from the the unlettered series still available here in Japan.

ACDetroit, what say you?

BourbonJoe
11-17-2008, 10:24
I wonder how different the new A Label VWFRR is from the the unlettered series still available here in Japan.

13 years old vs. 19 1/2 years old. Should be an obvious difference IMO.

edo
12-01-2008, 20:45
I just bought No. 1053 in Japan today. No letters whatsoever.

Letters or no, it is an amazing drink.

Small world. Our club got No. 1057 to share a couple weeks ago. A free taste of it recruited a couple more members. It's really so excellent.

Attila
12-01-2008, 21:28
Small world. Our club got No. 1057 to share a couple weeks ago. A free taste of it recruited a couple more members. It's really so excellent.

This is amazing drink. I have gone thru more of these than any other whisky.

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-01-2008, 23:11
Atilla, Edo, do you guys find this on the shelves where you are? I have never found VWFRR 13 up here in Sapporo, but have been able to order it on line.

Amazing whiskey, isn't it? All I have of it right now is 300 ml that I decanted into a well rinsed shochu bottle last winter, I think. I will have to order more and open the bottle I already have. It isn't doing me any good inside a bottle.

Ed

Attila
12-02-2008, 03:13
Its on rakuten.com (particularly Kawachiya) for 4,000 yen. Some guy keeps trying to sell some at auction for 7,000 yen, though.

Atilla, Edo, do you guys find this on the shelves where you are? I have never found VWFRR 13 up here in Sapporo, but have been able to order it on line.

Amazing whiskey, isn't it? All I have of it right now is 300 ml that I decanted into a well rinsed shochu bottle last winter, I think. I will have to order more and open the bottle I already have. It isn't doing me any good inside a bottle.

Ed

edo
12-02-2008, 21:35
I got mine through Kawachiya, too. I was just about to order more, but ...

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/kawachi/428639/449867/449882/#404992

dammit. There is no more.

The numbers should have been a tip off. We bought #1057 to share. I bought #1055 for personal use. Attila mentioned he had #1053 and #1051 is in the Kawachiya photo.

Is it possible there were only 10 bottles ever shipped to Japan?

The horror!

Attila
12-02-2008, 22:06
I got mine through Kawachiya, too. I was just about to order more, but ...

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/kawachi/428639/449867/449882/#404992

dammit. There is no more.

The numbers should have been a tip off. We bought #1057 to share. I bought #1055 for personal use. Attila mentioned he had #1053 and #1051 is in the Kawachiya photo.

Is it possible there were only 10 bottles ever shipped to Japan?

The horror!

A lot more than 10. I am sure.

edo
12-03-2008, 01:20
All I have of it right now is 300 ml that I decanted into a well rinsed shochu bottle last winter, I think.

Why did you do that? Why decant?

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-03-2008, 18:45
To reduce the effect, if any, of air on the whiskey during long term storage. There is some debate on whether there is an effect and if that is necessarily a bad thing. Rather than leave a couple of fingers rye in the bottom of a bottle I decanted it while the bottle was still freshly opened. I didn't think I would be able to get it again, at least not soon. That was at least a year ago. The pour I had the other day was very nice! Unfortunately, it is a 200 ml bottle, not a 300 ml bottle as I had thought.

I bought my bottles, I think I got two, from http://www.sake-brutus.com/ If I hadn't been underemployed at the time I would have tried to clean them out.

They don't have any VWFRR 13 listed now, But they do have VW Olde Time Rye 12 yo. I had a bottle of that and it was wonderful, but not as good as the VWFRR 13 in my opinion. I have never had any of the VWFRR 13 yo that contain older rye.

Ed

edo
12-10-2008, 22:34
Spotted and had the first pour out of bottle No. 1099 at jazz club LifeTime in Miyazaki last night. I informed the master that he may have the last bottle available. After taking a taste, he put the bottle out of clear sight of the patrons. ...

but :skep: ...I don't expect it to make it to the New Year.

Attila
12-11-2008, 19:08
I informed the master

:lol: :lol: :lol: You go to some kinky places, dude!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

edo
12-12-2008, 20:21
:lol: :lol: :lol: You go to some kinky places, dude!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh-oh... :o ...I mean the bar master! ...:blush: ...I, uh- I mean the club head hancho! ...:shocked: ..uh- I mean the mama-san's uh ... :eek:

... yeah, kinky (kinki?):grin:

... back on topic ...

Our whiskey committee got in our holiday order. I had won the share-bottle selection and ordered Old Rip Van Winkle Old Time Rye (Bottle No. 71). Passed it around. Very excellent. Good reviews all round. I think it is closer to bourbon than the Family Reserve. The Family Reserve seems moving more toward (dare I say it) congac-like flavors in comparison.

One member, a Texas (generally) tequilla-drinking woman (who until she tasted the VWFRR last month claimed she did not like whiskey, bourbon or single malt) prefered VWFRR to ORVWR, but just by a bit.

We did not try the two back to back and no one else (including me) expressed a preference, but all agreed Old Rip is mighty tasty.

... just wish it was cheaper

... and that may happen for us (in Japan) with the dollar hitting 88 yen yesterday

... .whew!

nor02lei
12-14-2008, 11:43
This excellent brand seems very difficult to find here in Europe nowadays. I have been looking for it quit a wile but failed.

Leif

barturtle
12-14-2008, 13:33
This excellent brand seems very difficult to find here in Europe nowadays. I have been looking for it quit a wile but failed.

Leif

The brand seems to be highly allocated, it's getting hard to find even in Kentucky.

Old Lamplighter
12-14-2008, 13:48
I believe it has been widely allocated. In my travels around various parts of Tennessee via my job this year, I have seen very few. Where I have seen it, never seen more than 2 on the shelf. I suppose Julian is having to spread fewer and fewer each year as supply is running lower with every bottling. Wonder how much is left? BT should be close to having some ready for him in the next 2-3 years I would think.....of course, with a higher price tag......better grab these 18-19 yr old bargains whenever we can!

callmeox
12-14-2008, 16:21
I believe it has been widely allocated. In my travels around various parts of Tennessee via my job this year, I have seen very few. Where I have seen it, never seen more than 2 on the shelf. I suppose Julian is having to spread fewer and fewer each year as supply is running lower with every bottling. Wonder how much is left? BT should be close to having some ready for him in the next 2-3 years I would think.....of course, with a higher price tag......better grab these 18-19 yr old bargains whenever we can!

IIRC, the rye has been tanked for a number of years, so isn't it still "just" a 13 year old rye?

barturtle
12-14-2008, 16:31
IIRC, the rye has been tanked for a number of years, so isn't it still "just" a 13 year old rye?

It was 18-19yo when it was tanked...once it leaves the wood it "officially" stops aging. The stated age on the label is the youngest that the product can be (or the youngest whiskey in the bottle, in the case of whiskies mingled form a variety of ages)

callmeox
12-14-2008, 16:35
Ahh, I didn't realize that it was beyond it's labeled age when tanked.

Thanks for the info, Timothy.

Lost Pollito
12-14-2008, 16:45
Check out post #41 on this thread. From the Man himself. :grin:

Attila
12-16-2008, 23:57
the last bottle available.

I just found a shop that sells it from Rakuten. Cheap too.

barturtle
12-17-2008, 07:52

Lets Go Rakuten Eagles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPGd_Yo7Nuk) :cool:

Old Lamplighter
12-17-2008, 22:40
Check out post #41 on this thread. From the Man himself. :grin:

What got my attention was the last sentence from the Man in post #41. Anyhow, I cannot say enough good & great things about this rye. It is the only rye I keep going back to again & again.......and plan to buy as much as I can while I can!

edo
12-18-2008, 22:30

Ah! I see it. Tsutaya!

They have a few more things that Kawachiya is currently missing, too.

Outta cash for the moment, tho'...

Old Lamplighter
01-10-2009, 01:47
Anyone with the newest "AA" bottles notice any change from the previous offerings from the last year or two? Just curious. Someone commented here about the newer/newest Saz 18 as well as Hirsch being different due to the stainless steel storage. I am curious if this might affect the VWFRR as well since it has been stored the same way for the last 5-6 years. If so, I am thinking of going back and getting 2 more of the "I" bottles @ $49.99 each that I ran across back before the holidays.......that is, if they are still there.

Probably not a bad idea to get them anyway since the price is going up yearly and supply is finite.

Rughi
01-10-2009, 15:53
In thinking about this further, I realized that Sam's in Chicago has had a private Saz Jr. 10 y.o. for close to two years now. That means Buffalo Trace has at least 12 year old rye juice sitting in some barrels for Julian.

Now that I'm on this, I sure would like to see a mid-aged Rye out there in the market.

I would sooo love to have a new VW 12yo Old Tyme Rye to stand alongside the Family Reserve "13yo" (19yo tanked). It would also be a great way for the legions of VW faithful to start their tastebuds segueing from the Bernheim/Medley juice to the BT juice to come.

Using Fussychicken' spreadsheet (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4954&d=1196538743) (love the whiskey and spreadsheets!) we won't get the BT juice in the Family Reserve until 2017, when the allocated stainless juice sunsets itself.

I thought I remembered, but didn't find in the archives, a passage where Julian wrote about working with BT to tailor his products to profiles he prefers. I think this would have been about recapturing the SW wheater as much as possible, though, not really the rye (which I believe Julian has said that SW never made). Perhaps 2017 is just 13 years after the BT/VW agreement, which I believe was in 2003

Thirsty for that mid-aged rye,
Roger

fussychicken
01-10-2009, 18:19
Perhaps 2017 is just 13 years after the BT/VW agreement, which I believe was in 2003

Thanks for the kind words Roger. This is the juicy thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2627) that has most all of the VWFRR details that I used to make the chart.

And since Julian stated that he "wanted to keep you guys on your toes!!" I decided to update my little sheet. Attached is the new one.

And Julian, you almost gave me a heart attack a couple of months ago. You can only imagine how freaked out I was when I started to see what I thought were original A bottles popping up! :bigeyes:

edo
01-26-2009, 21:46
A nostalgic, but rather sad scene. A couple old brother soldiers in the twighlight of life.

Attila
01-26-2009, 23:29
A nostalgic

It makes me thirsty to look at.

nor02lei
01-27-2009, 12:52
Thanks for the kind words Roger. This is the juicy thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2627) that has most all of the VWFRR details that I used to make the chart.

And since Julian stated that he "wanted to keep you guys on your toes!!" I decided to update my little sheet. Attached is the new one.

And Julian, you almost gave me a heart attack a couple of months ago. You can only imagine how freaked out I was when I started to see what I thought were original A bottles popping up! :bigeyes:

Steve,

HmÖ..The B bottle got a Frankfurt bottling on the label and van Winkle did not join BT until 2002. As I understand it is a fact on this forum that all the old Medley is from 84 or 85 stock. That would make the B bottle at least 17 years old (probably older) and if there were no Lawrenceburg bottles with higher letters than A the whole list would be wrong.
Please correct me if I am wrong, I am just speculating.

Leif

fussychicken
01-27-2009, 19:42
Hi Leif,

I was going off of the above post, and this one (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=103473&#post103473), as to the age of the rye. My understanding is that the labels changed around 2004.

Luna56
01-28-2009, 00:18
A nostalgic, but rather sad scene. A couple old brother soldiers in the twighlight of life.

I will gladly euthanize these for you. I assure you they'll pass with the dignity they deserve...

Campai!

Attila
01-31-2009, 22:28
On the bottle of the bottles there is a strange logo that spells SAV. Anyone knows what that stands for?

The Boozer
07-20-2009, 16:24
Picked up what was the last bottle of VWF Rye the other day - # I. Looks like MI won't be getting anymore as it appears to have been dropped from the State list. That sucks. Going to have to travel out of state to get more.
TJ

Josh
07-22-2009, 20:40
Picked up what was the last bottle of VWF Rye the other day - # I. Looks like MI won't be getting anymore as it appears to have been dropped from the State list. That sucks. Going to have to travel out of state to get more.
TJ

Just picked up a bottle tonight myself. Looking forward to getting into it soon!

The Boozer
07-23-2009, 14:09
Josh
tried to PM you - didn't work.
Where did you find the Rye at. Got mine at Red Wagon shop in Rochester Hills. Need to get together on Friday?
Tim

Josh
07-24-2009, 04:56
Josh
tried to PM you - didn't work.
Where did you find the Rye at. Got mine at Red Wagon shop in Rochester Hills. Need to get together on Friday?
Tim

Sounds good. I sent a pm, hopefully it will come thru.

JamesW
08-08-2009, 11:19
Just cracked my first bottle open this week. Bottle # G778. I love it! Tastes more like a bourbon than a rye to me though, not that that's a bad thing, but I wasn't expecting it to be that way. If it were a bourbon then I'd have to say that it would be one of the better bourbons I've had. It must be 51% rye and 49% corn to get that flavoring. The aging also seems to have taken down the rye bite a bit too I guess. Either way I'm thrilled with it and would buy more if I see it. Purchased it on a drive-by at a hole-in-the-wall little beer shop that had a couple whiskeys on the wall behind the counter. It looks like it was there a long time. At $35 it was a steal.

DeanSheen
08-08-2009, 12:27
$35! That was a steal you lucky guy.

Special Reserve
08-08-2009, 14:12
$35 for a bottle of VWFR is a steal. I agree about the taste. In MI it is $55+ if you can find it. As stated above it has been removed from the state list. Too bad.

DowntownD
08-08-2009, 17:43
it's my favorite whiskey.

and at $40 here in Colorado, not cost-prohibitive.

JamesW
08-08-2009, 21:39

It is now a favorite of mine as well. Wish there were more in these parts (and at that price :grin: )

p_elliott
08-10-2009, 09:11
Just cracked my first bottle open this week. Bottle # G778. I love it! Tastes more like a bourbon than a rye to me though, not that that's a bad thing, but I wasn't expecting it to be that way. If it were a bourbon then I'd have to say that it would be one of the better bourbons I've had. It must be 51% rye and 49% corn to get that flavoring. The aging also seems to have taken down the rye bite a bit too I guess. Either way I'm thrilled with it and would buy more if I see it. Purchased it on a drive-by at a hole-in-the-wall little beer shop that had a couple whiskeys on the wall behind the counter. It looks like it was there a long time. At $35 it was a steal.

Gotta be some barley in there some where :grin:

funknik
08-10-2009, 10:23

At that price, I would not be shy about stocking plenty of this one!

JamesW
09-02-2009, 21:09
I just spotted another bottle but this time at $56. I had them put it aside for me and I'll be picking it up this Friday after I get paid. Man, $35 was so sweet. I have that price-point in my head now. At $40 I'd buy a case Downtown! I'm still getting it at $56 since I really loved it and I probably won't see more in these parts... the owner of the liquor store said he had just picked it up in Illinois.

DeanSheen
09-02-2009, 22:56
It's a harsh mistress. Usually the last bottle I'll drink from on the bar and the one I most hesitate to open.

I have 2 in the bunker and 1 half finished that I opened about 3 weeks ago, I just like looking at it apparently as I drink through the other options at my disposal.

JamesW
09-04-2009, 09:07
It's a harsh mistress. Usually the last bottle I'll drink from on the bar and the one I most hesitate to open.

I have 2 in the bunker and 1 half finished that I opened about 3 weeks ago, I just like looking at it apparently as I drink through the other options at my disposal.

Well said. I just picked that bottle up for $56 this morning. It's an "I" and the one open on my bar is a "G" which has been fantastic.

I also eye the bottle every night and then slap my hand and reach for something less rare. Tonight I'll probably treat myself though as I feel a bit less exposed now that one is finally in the bunker.

unclebunk
09-04-2009, 09:16
Well said. I just picked that bottle up for $56 this morning. It's an "I" and the one open on my bar is a "G" which has been fantastic.

I also eye the bottle every night and then slap my hand and reach for something less rare. Tonight I'll probably treat myself though as I feel a bit less exposed now that one is finally in the bunker.

I've got one bottle that's been sitting in the liquor cabinet for some time now, just waiting for that special occasion to be opened. But tonight I'm going to crack it open, as I found three more bottles yesterday at $40 each, in a store near where my wife works and didn't have enough money on me to grab them. I guess I'll be heading back for the score after reading all the glowing remarks.

unclebunk
09-04-2009, 09:48
I just ran upstairs to check out the bottle of VWFRR 13 that I already have and it says on the top of the label "I-1996." Now I'm confused as hell because I went back to the very first post in this thread and read each and every one thereafter, including Fussychicken's spread sheet, and that has the "I" bottle dated 2007. I also noted an earlier post in which BourbonJoe mentions that the first "A" bottling to be released in the US came out in 1999. Can someone explain why my bottle says "I-1996"?

unclebunk
09-04-2009, 10:11
I think I can answer my own question. After browsing the internet a bit more I discovered that the "1996" following the "I" is not the year, but simply a bottle number. I'm guessing the other bottles I spotted in the liquor store are also labelled "I" but with different numbers following the letter. Doh! In any event, anyone care to comment on the quality of the "I" bottlings from 2007?

DeanSheen
09-04-2009, 10:17
Bunk,

For $40 each there is no need to worry about the quality. Your already buying them at a discount.

JamesW
09-04-2009, 17:54
Bunk,

For $40 each there is no need to worry about the quality. Your already buying them at a discount.

Damn straight. Snap them up.

Anyone know if it's really an 18yr old rye (as I've heard mentioned) and that the VW's are waiting for their barrels to mature to 13 yrs before swapping in that juice. If so, 18 yr old ryes are close to $80 like BMH and so even at $56 that's a steal.

unclebunk
09-04-2009, 18:19
Hey guys, I grabbed the last three VWFRR at $42 each (went up $2 due to Illinois' ridiculous new "sin" tax on alcohol). They are "I" bottlings, so hold old is the juice again? Can't wait to sample tonight.

Skunk
09-06-2009, 21:44
Anyone know if it's really an 18yr old rye (as I've heard mentioned) and that the VW's are waiting for their barrels to mature to 13 yrs before swapping in that juice.

how old is this juice again?

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=154482&postcount=77

unclebunk
09-07-2009, 08:37
Thanks for the info, Skunk. To get 19 year old whiskey for $42 is a great deal any way you cut it. I had two pours of the VWFRR last night and was really knocked out. I know that age statements must reflect the youngest aged whiskey in the bottle, but I'm curious why Mr. Van Winkle would label the VWFRR as a 13 year old whiskey if the contents of the bottle are a mix of 19 year old Medley and, at least from what I gathered reviewing the other thread provided by Skunk, COK juice that has been identified as being either 17 or 19 years old. So why 13 then?

Skunk
09-08-2009, 17:14
So why 13 then?

As Vange said in the first post in this thread: "From what I understand, this has to do with having to register new labels for each state, pay each state's licensing fees, etc., so why print new labels and go through all that expense and hassle every year?".

I suppose you could argue that once it became the 19yo blend it is now, they could have made a new label and gotten 13 years of use out of it without re-registering etc. The only problem would be that in 2017, when the BT distillate is ready, it would go from a 19 year age statement back to 13 year. The consumers would then say 'we were getting 19yo for x amount, and they still want x amount even though it's only 13yo now, what a rip!' Instead, those of us in-the-know can enjoy what Julian Van Winkle described up-thread as "a hell of a deal", and probably with less scarcity than if it were on shelves for <$60 with a 19 YEAR OLD VAN WINKLE FRR label.

Anyway, I'm _really_ enjoying my H version, but at 59.97 I don't think I'll be replacing it any time soon. I feel fortunate just to have tasted it and hope that my memory will suffice. $42 dollars really is a hell of a deal though.

smokinjoe
09-09-2009, 21:05
As Vange said in the first post in this thread: "From what I understand, this has to do with having to register new labels for each state, pay each state's licensing fees, etc., so why print new labels and go through all that expense and hassle every year?".

I suppose you could argue that once it became the 19yo blend it is now, they could have made a new label and gotten 13 years of use out of it without re-registering etc. The only problem would be that in 2017, when the BT distillate is ready, it would go from a 19 year age statement back to 13 year. The consumers would then say 'we were getting 19yo for x amount, and they still want x amount even though it's only 13yo now, what a rip!' Instead, those of us in-the-know can enjoy what Julian Van Winkle described up-thread as "a hell of a deal", and probably with less scarcity than if it were on shelves for <$60 with a 19 YEAR OLD VAN WINKLE FRR label.

Anyway, I'm _really_ enjoying my H version, but at 59.97 I don't think I'll be replacing it any time soon. I feel fortunate just to have tasted it and hope that my memory will suffice. $42 dollars really is a hell of a deal though.

I believe that the same rationale can be made for the Michter's 10 yr rye. At least, up until a year or so ago. If I have the story correct, it is from the same 17-19 yr old COK juice, but the bottler (Chatham, I believe?) kept the 10 yr designation because of the label re-registration issue. Anyone, please correct me if I'm off, here.
I was lucky to pick up a couple of bottles a few years ago at $29. Most savvy retailers have learned of the story, and have them in the high $70-80's, now. Which leads me to really belive that changing labels must be a royal Pain in the Arse.

ErichPryde
09-10-2009, 02:34
I could be completely off base here, but Julian did say that it was 13 year old whiskey that was being stored in a stainless steel tank, right? so saying that it is getting older and older- that you're basically buying 18 year old rye, and it's such a great deal- that's not exactly right, is it?

My understanding is that once you remove the whiskey from the oak barrels and put it in a stainless steel vat, it isn't technically aging anymore. Any changes will occur because of the amount of oxidation occuring in the whiskey. the greater amount you remove, the greater amount the surface area (which is oxidizing) accounts for the remainder, and therefore, the more the newer bottlings will change until you have to start the cycle over. Changes may and probably will occur, but they wouldn't be related to aging...?

ON this same note, because it IS being stored in stainless, wouldn't it be... somehow improper, false advertising, or even "against the rules" to call it 16, 17, 18. or 19 year old whiskey?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here, but I thought that once the whiskey was out of the barrel and quit cycling in and out of the oak, it was done aging. calling it "19 year old rye" would be like saying that because it's been in a glass bottle for X years it's actually X + Y year old whiskey.

Julian

nor02lei
09-10-2009, 03:22
I could be completely off base here, but Julian did say that it was 13 year old whiskey that was being stored in a stainless steel tank, right? so saying that it is getting older and older- that you're basically buying 18 year old rye, and it's such a great deal- that's not exactly right, is it?

My understanding is that once you remove the whiskey from the oak barrels and put it in a stainless steel vat, it isn't technically aging anymore. Any changes will occur because of the amount of oxidation occuring in the whiskey. the greater amount you remove, the greater amount the surface area (which is oxidizing) accounts for the remainder, and therefore, the more the newer bottlings will change until you have to start the cycle over. Changes may and probably will occur, but they wouldn't be related to aging...?

ON this same note, because it IS being stored in stainless, wouldn't it be... somehow improper, false advertising, or even "against the rules" to call it 16, 17, 18. or 19 year old whiskey?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here, but I thought that once the whiskey was out of the barrel and quit cycling in and out of the oak, it was done aging. calling it "19 year old rye" would be like saying that because it's been in a glass bottle for X years it's actually X + Y year old whiskey.

I think you are right in everything except the age of the whiskey when it was tanked on steel Erik. As I have heard it directly from Julian and from several posts here it was tanked at an age of 19, 5 years.

Leif

ErichPryde
09-10-2009, 03:28
I think you are right in everything except the age of the whiskey when it was tanked on steel Erik. As I have heard it directly from Julian and from several posts here it was tanked at an age of 19, 5 years.

Leif

aaahhh. looking back over Julian's post, I now see what you are saying. that's what happens when you enjoy a pour or four of PVW 15 while trying to make sense of an internet forum.... :cool:

tommyboy38
09-10-2009, 05:53
Looking over a few of these posts, I think it's time to crack open a bottle of VWFRR. I've seen it in a few outlets but have only seen the 2007 "I" series bottling for some reason.

cowdery
09-10-2009, 17:31
The Van Winkle iterations that are described as 18- or 19-years-old were in wood that long. Then he put them in stainless steel. He also never changed the label. I don't believe anyone is counting time in stainless as 'aging,' although Julian was concerned about the affects of oxidation in stainless and speculated about using an inert gas as an air seal, but I don't know if he ever did it. Nothing has ever officially been claimed to be 18- or 19-years-old, but it was commonly known that some of the whiskey he bottled was that old. When Julian thought it was too old he sold it to KBD, who bottled it up as various very old ryes and in at least one case, Julian admitted that if he had known the whiskey was going to go that way with additional aging, he wouldn't have sold it.

JamesW
09-10-2009, 18:10
Thanks Chuck. I have to say drinking a "G" bottling that it certainly tastes like it has aged 18 yrs or so. I don't know if these bottlings are in fact that old but I am stunned by how good it is for certain.

unclebunk
09-10-2009, 19:19
Thanks Chuck. I have to say drinking a "G" bottling that it certainly tastes like it has aged 18 yrs or so. I don't know if these bottlings are in fact that old but I am stunned by how good it is for certain.

Me too! Eighteen years in the wood is a long, long time, yet the whiskey doesn't suffer for it at all. Amazing stuff that I plan on savoring slowly over time to make it last. (I have the "I" bottling--four to be exact--which should hold me a while.)

ErichPryde
09-11-2009, 06:02
The Van Winkle iterations that are described as 18- or 19-years-old were in wood that long. Then he put them in stainless steel. He also never changed the label. I don't believe anyone is counting time in stainless as 'aging,' although Julian was concerned about the affects of oxidation in stainless and speculated about using an inert gas as an air seal, but I don't know if he ever did it. Nothing has ever officially been claimed to be 18- or 19-years-old, but it was commonly known that some of the whiskey he bottled was that old. When Julian thought it was too old he sold it to KBD, who bottled it up as various very old ryes and in at least one case, Julian admitted that if he had known the whiskey was going to go that way with additional aging, he wouldn't have sold it.

yeah.... I mis-read something and stuck my foot deep into my mouth. this happens occasionally, and I cough up bits of shoe for the next couple of weeks thereafter typically. Eh, I figure it's good for me, not like I get a rubber intake very regularly anyway. :drinking:

nor02lei
09-11-2009, 06:48
I did have a side by side of an I and a K bottle a couple of weeks ago. They were quit different despite coming from the same tank. The I bottle had a better nose and a much chewier and sweeter taste, but was over woody in the finish. The K bottle was lighter in general and had a lot of citrus notes. The finish was long and appetising. I did like the K slightly better due to the nice finish.

Leif

gblick
11-25-2009, 14:30
I had to come and reread this thread, since I just picked up my very first bottle of VWFRR. It turns out that my bottle is somewhat of a dusty....D2883. It tastes very good!

tommyboy38
11-27-2009, 23:58
And I recently picked up a new "A" bottle and enjoye it as much as the other bottles i've tried recently.

SMOWK
11-28-2009, 16:08
And I recently picked up a new "A" bottle and enjoye it as much as the other bottles i've tried recently.

All 3 bottles that I've picked up in Maryland over the past year or so have an A on them. Have they really been on the shelf, or sitting around a warehouse, since 1999?

BourbonJoe
11-28-2009, 16:29
All 3 bottles that I've picked up in Maryland over the past year or so have an A on them. Have they really been on the shelf, or sitting around a warehouse, since 1999?

NO The lettering system started over again. Nice try Julian.

p_elliott
11-29-2009, 00:31
NO The lettering system started over again. Nice try Julian.

Be nice, Julian and Preston are the only ones that will talk directly to us.

unclebunk
11-30-2009, 07:29
My "I" bottles have been terrific, but I flew through all four of them and the bunker is now down to one!:bigeyes:

tommyboy38
11-30-2009, 21:40
The new "A" bottles aint so bad either!

JamesW
12-01-2009, 11:04
My "I" bottles have been terrific, but I flew through all four of them and the bunker is now down to one!:bigeyes:

Me too. I'm treading lightly on the 1/4 btle I have left as only one soldier remains to take its place. :bigeyes:

JamesW
12-01-2009, 11:11
(I have the "I" bottling--four to be exact--which should hold me a while.)

I guess it didn't hold long enough! :lol: At $42 I'd drink it fast too. Hopefully you can get more in your parts.

unclebunk
12-01-2009, 14:10
I guess it didn't hold long enough! :lol: At $42 I'd drink it fast too. Hopefully you can get more in your parts.

I tried to make the VWFRR a "special occasion" pour that I would only sip now and then but my plans were foiled by its superb quality. I just couldn't leave it alone and I really enjoyed pouring some for friends so that I could watch their expressions. To a person, everyone who sampled it loved it. I was even gifted an extra bottle when the first four disappeared but now I really will have to ration it because I don't see it around often.

JamesW
12-03-2009, 11:26
I tried to make the VWFRR a "special occasion" pour that I would only sip now and then but my plans were foiled by its superb quality. I just couldn't leave it alone and I really enjoyed pouring some for friends so that I could watch their expressions. To a person, everyone who sampled it loved it. I was even gifted an extra bottle when the first four disappeared but now I really will have to ration it because I don't see it around often.

Same here. I have one in the bunker and I cringe when I look at what's left of the one open on my bar.

hectic1
12-20-2009, 07:10
I picked up two bottles from the "A" bottling a couple weeks ago. I broke my "Rye" cherry earlier in the week and I can certainly understand why people enjoy this product so much. I found that my first sip was sort of underwhelming but as it sat in the glass for a little while it really opened up and had great flavor and a really long finish! :cool:

SMOWK
12-20-2009, 09:29
I keep my VWFRR that's open on the bar in a pappy 23 velvet bag. It makes it harder to get to, and most of my friends think it's not open...

jinenjo
12-21-2009, 11:34
Be nice, Julian and Preston are the only ones that will talk directly to us.

It's always a pleasure to see their posts here. If they're listening, I sure would like to know when a true 13 year-old rye is coming online. Will we have to wait until the stainless steel tanks are emptied first?

(If they're still listening. Thanks for everything.) :grin:

Rughi
12-21-2009, 13:27
It's always a pleasure to see their posts here. If they're listening, I sure would like to know when a true 13 year-old rye is coming online. Will we have to wait until the stainless steel tanks are emptied first?

(If they're still listening. Thanks for everything.) :grin:

Heck, I'd like to get things rolling with a fresh new, 12yo Olde Tyme Rye!
No more of that old stuff! :lol:

Roger

http://www.wineintro.com/movies/jerk/jerk2.jpg

Waiter: Would monsieur care for another bottle of the Chateau Latour?
Steve: Ah yes - but no more 1966. Let's splurge! Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you've got - this year! No more of this old stuff.
(http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wineintro.com/movies/jerk/jerk2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wineintro.com/movies/jerk/&usg=__iGEF8uLBXUQ4LrLBIquUoEaPIDE=&h=288&w=384&sz=37&hl=en&start=3&sig2=GFJDfRj0Ra7d6KkI7fHDNw&tbnid=bWGAa6Nfk_DcpM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsteve%2Bmartin%2B%2522the%2Bjerk%2522 %2Bwine%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DG&ei=vNovS97dLKLmtQOmrN3LAw)

spun_cookie
12-21-2009, 13:49

Roger

http://www.wineintro.com/movies/jerk/jerk2.jpg

Waiter: Would monsieur care for another bottle of the Chateau Latour?
Steve: Ah yes - but no more 1966. Let's splurge! Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you've got - this year! No more of this old stuff.
(http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wineintro.com/movies/jerk/jerk2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wineintro.com/movies/jerk/&usg=__iGEF8uLBXUQ4LrLBIquUoEaPIDE=&h=288&w=384&sz=37&hl=en&start=3&sig2=GFJDfRj0Ra7d6KkI7fHDNw&tbnid=bWGAa6Nfk_DcpM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsteve%2Bmartin%2B%2522the%2Bjerk%2522 %2Bwine%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DG&ei=vNovS97dLKLmtQOmrN3LAw)

One of the best movies of all times....

tommyboy38
12-21-2009, 16:52
If the 2007 was the "I" bottles and the 2008 was the new "A", was there a 2009 edition? The year doesn't matter too much...I stocked up on some "A" bottles recently so the bunker is in good shape for the near future.

Lost Pollito
12-21-2009, 17:29
The 2009's we got at the store say A.

jinenjo
12-22-2009, 10:52

You know Roger, you're right. Forget that old Rittenhouse stuff. Saz 18? Over the hill. And this new Michter's 25? Who do they think we are, some boobs? They're dealing with sophisticated people here!!!

hectic1
01-02-2010, 15:14
I bought up the last VWFRR bottle that I knew of in my area last week...that gives me 3 bunkered but I get the shakes thinking about what will happen when those 3 are gone! :(

Old Lamplighter
01-03-2010, 11:26
The best rye ever to cross my palate (so far). So good, that over last 3 yrs been able to bunker 5 of the "I" issue and got one more in the crosshairs as soon as funds available.....if, somebody else don't find it first!

The Boozer
03-09-2010, 20:00
Just noticed that VWFRR is back on the state list. Don't know if any of the MI bourbons hounds have found any of the new stuff in state yet.
Will scout out a few stores that carriewd it in the past.

Josh
03-10-2010, 06:34
Just noticed that VWFRR is back on the state list. Don't know if any of the MI bourbons hounds have found any of the new stuff in state yet.

Yeah I noticed that too. If you see any, let a brother know! :grin: I'll return the favor too, of course.

CaptainQ
03-10-2010, 12:07
I wish you guys some good luck. That stuff is like gold. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe only 2,600 bottles of rye are released per year.

CaptainQ
05-25-2010, 21:42
I just added some love to my bunker:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2mm8cxj.jpg

tommyboy38
05-25-2010, 21:46
Nice pic Captain!!

DeanSheen
05-25-2010, 22:25
Ohhh El Capitan that's the prettiest picture I have seen on here for a long time.

Salute!

Vosgar
05-25-2010, 22:56
That is without a doubt the most beautiful picture I've seen this week

Virus_Of_Life
05-27-2010, 23:48

Roger
Amen to that! If I had a time machine and could only get one whiskey from the past it'd likely be that one. Although the VWFR 1985 that I just opened may just overtake it as my favorite of all time.

sgtgto
05-28-2010, 11:02

I scored a bottle just north of the Indiana border a couple months back.

barturtle
06-15-2010, 13:57

What is the letter code and production city on it? I haven't seen anything new since the "A" Frankfort bottlings.

The Boozer
06-15-2010, 19:38

Nice pick up.

Metro-Detroit appears to be dry of the stuff.
Hear its the same problem everywhere

BourbonJoe
06-15-2010, 20:06
I saw a bunch of it in Kentucky when we were there for the sampler.

nor02lei
06-16-2010, 02:40
I haven't seen anything new since the "A" Frankfort bottlings.

The latest bottles I have found here is K and these are very hard to get. I doubt there has been any import to Europe of later fillings Timothy.

Leif

Special Reserve
06-16-2010, 03:23
Nice pick up.

Metro-Detroit appears to be dry of the stuff.
Hear its the same problem everywhere

VWFRR is back in SE MI stores.

birdman1099
06-16-2010, 06:26
Ok guys..... I've scoured this whole thread and did not find my answer.:rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me if there is a noticeable difference from the E bottling (100% Medley) and the F bottling (50/50 mix)?

Gillman
06-16-2010, 07:03
Scott, I wasn't sure when the cut off occurred exactly, but maybe it was when you stated because that information is pretty specific.

In my view, the mingled product (which I think may be Medley and UDV) is superior to the unmingled, good as VWFRR always has been. The latest bottlings seem to have a rich softness and long finish to them I don't recall from the earlier ones. Perhaps too less of a cherry fruit taste. This is as far as I can take it.

Gary

barturtle
06-16-2010, 07:08
Ok guys..... I've scoured this whole thread and did not find my answer.:rolleyes:

You only looked through one thread? :rolleyes: There's a really great search function...:slappin:

barturtle
06-16-2010, 07:09
The latest bottles I have found here is K and these are very hard to get. I doubt there has been any import to Europe of later fillings Timothy.

Leif

K? We stopped at "I" in the States.

birdman1099
06-16-2010, 07:13
Thanks Gary......

You only looked through one thread? :rolleyes: There's a really great search function...:slappin:

yeah..... but it was ONE BIG THREAD !!!!!:grin:

Virus_Of_Life
06-16-2010, 13:15
Scott, I wasn't sure when the cut off occurred exactly, but maybe it was when you stated because that information is pretty specific.

In my view, the mingled product (which I think may be Medley and UDV) is superior to the unmingled, good as VWFRR always has been. The latest bottlings seem to have a rich softness and long finish to them I don't recall from the earlier ones. Perhaps too less of a cherry fruit taste. This is as far as I can take it.

Gary
And so I will offer the contrarian point of view. While I haven't tasted the "E" Specifically (or maybe I have don't recall) I have tasted I think 4 different versions of the Medley only Rye and everyone of them I thought was better than the mingled version. Nothing against the mingled, it is still very, very good, but I get a doughy yeast like essence in it - which Gary may pick up as softness - that I don't like as much as Medley Rye.

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy any VWFRR for the right price, say sub $50, but i'd pay double for the Medley only stuff.

MikeK
06-16-2010, 13:33

Can anyone tell me if there is a noticeable difference from the E bottling (100% Medley) and the F bottling (50/50 mix)?

I had a Preiss bottling of the VW rye (Julian used to bottle some for them early on. I assume he realized he didn't have enough for himself and stopped that.) I believe it matches up to a 'C' bottling. It is very different than the later mingled versions. Can't recall which I like better, I'll have to do a side-by-side sometime.

Gillman
06-16-2010, 13:35
Well, I'd agree that the early bottlings (the original A, B, C, etc.) were very good, i.e., when the product was 13 years old, give (not take) a year or so. But in the later years when it aged up to 18 years, I didn't like it as much, and then the mingling seemed a decided improvement. It would be good to do a comparative tasting because you're right, Christian, it's easy to forget some of the specifics.

Gary

tommyboy38
06-18-2010, 14:08
I've only had the "I" and "A" bottlings and I absolutely love them.

angler82
06-25-2010, 20:37
Does anyone have a lead to even a single bottle of this in New England or NY? Been looking for it for about 8-9 months now. If so, send me a private message. Unfortunately I can't get booze shipped to MA.

silverfish
06-26-2010, 08:47
Does anyone have a lead to even a single bottle of this in New England or NY? Been looking for it for about 8-9 months now. If so, send me a private message. Unfortunately I can't get booze shipped to MA.

PM sent.
PM sent.

Rutter
07-07-2010, 02:39
Picked up a J bottle of this in London yesterday.

OscarV
07-07-2010, 12:25
VW rye is very bourbonesque.

ErichPryde
07-07-2010, 12:57

Do you like it for that quality, or dislike it because of that? Neither?

I wish that more of the vanilla from the oak was present since it is more borbounesque. Otherwise I'd want it to run in the other direction, with less bourbon notes and more of the interesting rye spice notes.

But that's me...

OscarV
07-07-2010, 13:32

[quote=ErichPryde;211074]**

Do you like it for that quality, or dislike it because of that? Neither?**

quote]

I like it like that, to me VW's are and/or should be unique and this rye definatley is unique.

ErichPryde
07-07-2010, 16:00
Another trait that Van Winkles should have is that they should be utterly drinkable. VW rye is pretty darn easy to put down! :cool:

SMOWK
07-10-2010, 23:01
Another trait that Van Winkles should have is that they should be utterly drinkable. VW rye is pretty darn easy to put down! :cool:

I concur! I've got a bottle packed in a box with other stuff ready for a trip to the Outer Banks tomorrow.

tommyboy38
07-13-2010, 21:06
Can't find any of this in Chicago lately but I have a few open bottles that should last until the next release....I hope.

SMOWK
07-14-2010, 10:51
Of the WLW09, PVW15, RittBIB, and VWFRR I took on the trip, the VWFRR is the only bottle that is "liked" by the other guy I'm with. It's 5 girls, one guy, and me.

Everything else seems to hurt everybody, but Matt sure appreciates the spice of the VWFRR! Indeed!

unclebunk
07-14-2010, 10:54
Still neck and neck with Saz18 as my favorite rye and three still in the bunker. Hooray!:lol:

SMOWK
07-14-2010, 10:57
mmmmm...saz18. I'm currently out, but, I should change that.

cowdery
07-15-2010, 23:38
The thing that gets me about the Van Winkle is that it was very ordinary rye whiskey when it was made. That just happened to be how they made rye at old Bernheim 20+ years ago. Then, of course, it wound up aging for much longer than intended.

Let's hope somebody has some rye in the pipeline shooting for a 10+ year old expression sometime soon. I hope, I hope, I hope.

Wouldn't that be nice?

BourbonJoe
07-16-2010, 06:40
That just happened to be how they made rye at old Bernheim 20+ years ago.

I thought VWFRR was a mixture of Cream Of Kentucky Rye and Medley Rye. Were either of these produced at Old Bernheim??

CorvallisCracker
07-16-2010, 09:07
It's 5 girls, one guy, and me.

So, what, exactly, are you? :skep:

cowdery
07-16-2010, 13:23
I thought VWFRR was a mixture of Cream Of Kentucky Rye and Medley Rye. Were either of these produced at Old Bernheim??

I don't know that it was ever a mixture. It started out as the Medley, made in Owensboro, then switched to the COK when the Medley ran out. The COK was made at old Bernheim in 1987.

bluesbassdad
07-16-2010, 18:33
I don't know that it was ever a mixture. It started out as the Medley, made in Owensboro, then switched to the COK when the Medley ran out. The COK was made at old Bernheim in 1987.

Chuck,

This is the first I've known about the provenance of this sometimes-fine bottling.

Is it possible to correlate the switch in juice to the three (at my last count) bottlings? As you may recall, I missed the first one, loved the second and didn't much like the third.

I recently discovered that I still have an unopened bottle of the gold foil -- after two previous attempts to clear it out of my collection. Heck, if it weren't a felony, I'd just as soon ship it to The Gazebo and let y'all drink a toast to me. :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

BourbonJoe
07-16-2010, 19:12
See post #15 in this thread.

Rughi
07-16-2010, 19:34
Chuck,

This is the first I've known about the provenance of this sometimes-fine bottling.

Is it possible to correlate the switch in juice to the three (at my last count) bottlings? As you may recall, I missed the first one, loved the second and didn't much like the third.

I recently discovered that I still have an unopened bottle of the gold foil -- after two previous attempts to clear it out of my collection. Heck, if it weren't a felony, I'd just as soon ship it to The Gazebo and let y'all drink a toast to me. :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Dave, it sounds to me like you're talking about Hirsch 16.

And, lest any whippersnapper think that you wouldn't know the difference, I submit this chestnut (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14881&highlight=hirsch#post14881) that you authored in the early days of the forum

And, to edit a second time, I believe you had a Hirsch bottling of Van Winkle rye (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14050&postcount=110) at one time, as well.

SMOWK
07-17-2010, 16:40
So, what, exactly, are you? :skep:

the "bourbon drinker"

Virus_Of_Life
07-18-2010, 11:57

I've had it in my head that the Medley was mixed with the COK, but I cannot find evidence to that and can't recall where I heard it now. I'll keep searching.

Ah ha! Here this thread http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11744&highlight=tanked Thanks to Timothy of course for cataloging all this info!

Originally from this thread:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2627&page=2&highlight=marriage

"Yep-that sounds correct. S/W never distilled any rye for me or anybody. The present rye in the F & G bottles is a marriage of two different rye distillations. We hope to continue bottling the presently tanked rye for another 11 years, unless it starts going south in the tank.
We hope to start bottling BT rye in about 11 years.
Julian"

jinenjo
07-18-2010, 13:25
Let's hope somebody has some rye in the pipeline shooting for a 10+ year old expression sometime soon. I hope, I hope, I hope.

The optimist in me does say that something rye-ey is coming soon...

We hope to start bottling BT rye in about 11 years.
Julian"

According to my math, that means 2017. Not soon enough in my book. You'd think there's something out there. I still don't get it, that Sam's had a 10 yr of Saz Jr. and yet there's no more such bottlings (commercial or private) out there to meet our demands.

I'm wondering if all or most of the 10+ y.o. rye is being held for utra-premium bottles, like 20+ year olds.

bluesbassdad
07-18-2010, 15:27
Dave, it sounds to me like you're talking about Hirsch 16.

And, lest any whippersnapper think that you wouldn't know the difference, I submit this chestnut (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14881&highlight=hirsch#post14881) that you authored in the early days of the forum

And, to edit a second time, I believe you had a Hirsch bottling of Van Winkle rye (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14050&postcount=110) at one time, as well.

Ah, yes! The the gold foil bottling of Hirsch 16 had not occurred when I made that comparison. The bottling I referred to there was the gold wax.

Right you are regarding my confusion. :blush:

I'm afraid one drink a month isn't sufficient to refresh memories acquired during the last decade or so. :crazy:

I've never had a less than stellar bottle with the words "Van Winkle" on it.

I haven't had my July drink yet. I think it's gonna be one of the Van Winkles. :yum:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Virus_Of_Life
07-18-2010, 16:14
The optimist in me does say that something rye-ey is coming soon...

According to my math, that means 2017. Not soon enough in my book. You'd think there's something out there. I still don't get it, that Sam's had a 10 yr of Saz Jr. and yet there's no more such bottlings (commercial or private) out there to meet our demands.

I'm wondering if all or most of the 10+ y.o. rye is being held for utra-premium bottles, like 20+ year olds.

Lear, what I am hoping is that when Julian joined BT they distilled some Rye using a mashbill different than Saz Jr/Handy. Or a different yeast, either way something different that would get them closer to the flavor profile of the original Medley Rye/COK Rye because I think we all can agree that however great the Saz Jr is, the flavor is very different from Medley/COK VW Rye.

Phischy
07-21-2010, 16:30
Where can I get this in San Diego? I've only ever seen 1 bottle, that I bought, and it was several years back!

DeanSheen
09-04-2010, 15:20
Any idea when this is going to be released in 2010? The last 2 years have been a big mystery as to when it's hitting shelves.

I'd love to know so I could be sure to get some.

funknik
09-04-2010, 21:41
Any idea when this is going to be released in 2010? The last 2 years have been a big mystery as to when it's hitting shelves.

I'd love to know so I could be sure to get some.I think it's kind of a crapshoot -- they came into Mass last year about Thanksgiving time . . . I got two and just opened my first today -- sooo delicious!

Lost Pollito
09-04-2010, 22:49
I think it's kind of a crapshoot --
Yep. Kinda like trying to catch Bigfoot. :cool:

CaptainQ
09-05-2010, 09:04

I'd love to know so I could be sure to get some.

From the man himself:

"We usually ship our larger allocation in September/October each year. We also ship a smaller allocation out in mid-March.
What we ship of each age each year depends upon how many barrels we happen to have available each year. The amounts will vary from year to year.
I would say an average would be about 500 cases of each age each year.
Thanks very much for your business."
Regards,
Julian Van Winkle

DeanSheen
09-05-2010, 10:00
Thanks all and good idea going to the man Captain.

I'll just keep stalking. I'm still haunted by an opportunity 2 years ago I had to buy a case right when I got into this hobby. I messed around for a few weeks then my opportunity was gone. It was the old 'if I knew then what I knew now' situation that I of course botched.

I have 4 or 5 in the bunker but it just does not seem like enough.

tommyboy38
09-10-2010, 20:06
For the VWFRR, it's never enough.

The Boozer
09-15-2010, 10:11
I still can't find any of this around town and have been to a bunch of the stores that usually have large inventories. Any MI hounds got any suggestions?

unclebunk
09-15-2010, 14:44
The VWFRR is definitely tricky to find, at least around here. But I did snag one on Monday for $40 and still have two in the bunker. Hooray!

tommyboy38
09-15-2010, 20:10
I'd love to find one for $40. I knew a place that used to have it for $40 but in the last year it's gone from $40 to $44 to $49 to $58.

SBOmarc
09-15-2010, 20:15
I'd love to find one for $40. I knew a place that used to have it for $40 but in the last year it's gone from $40 to $44 to $49 to $58.

That is the case with all Van Winkle bottles that I have seen. Not just the Rye.

tommyboy38
09-15-2010, 20:50
I was going to bunker a few when it was $44 but I figured there was no hurry. I was way off the mark. I did buy a few for $58 but I'm not sure how much higher I'd go and I hope the other bottlings don't follow suit.

I know that some retailers really jack up the prices on some bottlings and will see the same bottle go between $40 and $80 or $80 to $130 for something like PVW20. This is when it's time to retreat to the bunker.
Keep your overpriced whiskey...I have enough to last for some time.

unclebunk
09-16-2010, 07:51
Keep your overpriced whiskey...I have enough to last for some time.

You do mean "a lifetime," right Tommy?:lol: I was lucky on the $40 VWFRR. The price hadn't changed since the last time I was in this store which was before the tax increase in Illinois last September. It was actually tucked away a bit on the shelf and was no doubt overlooked somehow when they re-priced everything last year. I drink this juice slowly to conserve it, usually in rotation with T. Handy Sazerac and Michter's 10 which I also really enjoy, so I'm pretty well set now on my top shelf ryes. (I've got a few of the other two bunkered as well.)

JamesW
09-17-2010, 19:15
I only have one left and no chance of getting any more now that I'm in Canada. I promised myself I wouldn't open it until I get another... and I do look longingly at it. UncleBunk, is the Michter 10 really good?

tommyboy38
09-18-2010, 05:27
I enjoy the Michters 10. I find it similiar to the VWFRR.

unclebunk
09-18-2010, 07:56
I only have one left and no chance of getting any more now that I'm in Canada. I promised myself I wouldn't open it until I get another... and I do look longingly at it. UncleBunk, is the Michter 10 really good?

Yes, James. The Michter's 10 Year Old Rye (not to be confused with the Michter's US1 Rye) is excellent but unfortunately quite pricey. The juice is considerably older than 10 years, as has been established in other threads concerning this product, so it compares well to Sazerac 18 despite obvious differences in character.

nblair
10-24-2010, 07:07
Did anyone else who picked up a new bottle this past week notice the lettering started back at 'A' again? It was a few miles from my house so I highly doubt it was sitting there for any extended period of time.

Vange
10-24-2010, 07:38
They went back to A on the new release if I am not mistaken

The Boozer
10-24-2010, 13:54
The VWFRR is definitely tricky to find, at least around here. But I did snag one on Monday for $40 and still have two in the bunker. Hooray!

Sweet!! Nice pick. I would be happy to find some at $58.

SMOWK
10-24-2010, 14:40
All of the bottles I've picked up in the last year or so have an "A" on them.

The Boozer
10-25-2010, 18:30
Still can't find this stuff anywhere, A letter or B thru I letters. :smiley_acbt: :hot: :banghead:

The Boozer
10-27-2010, 13:20
Patience. I must learn patience.

Well it finally paid off. Picked up two bottles of VWFRR today for about $60 /bottle. Was down to the last bottle and starting getting nervous. I think I should open one immediately and take the edge off. :grin:

The Boozer
10-28-2010, 09:13
Forgot to mention the 2 bottles I picked up are also labeled "A".

sailor22
10-28-2010, 09:43
A is the current release. Not sure why they started over.

The Boozer
10-28-2010, 13:43
Is the current release still the older aged tanked stuff? I recall another post in which Julian stated all the VWFRR was left over aged rye that they finally tanked. The more recent bottles actually have rye that's been aged 18-19 years. ???

callmeox
10-28-2010, 16:36
A is the current release. Not sure why they started over.

According to Julian in post 35 (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=144838&postcount=35) in this thread, they started over with A in 2008.

Apparently they printed lots of labels as they are still at A in 2010. It looks like the label lettering is no longer an indicator of the release year.

The Boozer
10-28-2010, 19:17
Correction, both my bottles start with "B".

BourbonJoe
10-28-2010, 20:20
Is that the new "B" or the second U.S. release "B"?

The Boozer
10-29-2010, 14:27
Is that the new "B" or the second U.S. release "B"?

Don't know. Is there something on the bottle that indicates one or the other? These are two bottle that I just picked up the other day.

barturtle
10-29-2010, 16:10
Don't know. Is there something on the bottle that indicates one or the other? These are two bottle that I just picked up the other day.

I believe what he is referring to is the second release of VWFRR which was bottled in Lawrenceburg, KY; as opposed to any subsequent bottling "B" which would be bottled in Frankfort, KY.

The Boozer
10-30-2010, 08:58
Thnaks Tim. I believe this would be the 2nd release. The store I purchased the bottles from has a high turn over and didn't have any for at least the last 6 months.

The Boozer
01-19-2011, 11:10
Out in the field today. After doing a building inspection, stopped by a party store over on the east side. Just looking to pick up a bottle of WT 101. Sitting on the shelf were three bottles of VWFRR. I was taken aback! First because I found VWFRR and 2nd this is Tony's (ACDetroit) backyard. Anyways, two bottles have made their way home with me and I left 1 bottle for Tony (or any other MI hounds). My 2nd surprise came when I took a closer look at the bottles and saw they are both "I" bottles. I have had this experience before. Recently picked up a bottle of Stagg and much to my surprise in turns out to be a 2009 bottling. Apparently, there are older bottles of BTAC, VWFRR and likely Pappy 15 yr sitting in some distributor's warehouse. I highly doubt that some of these bottles have been sitting on store shelves for over a year.

cowdery
01-19-2011, 18:14
That's an exciting find. Were they reasonably priced?

I think the natural incompetence of any system run by a government is probably a benefit to dusty hunters. In Illinois, stores can't transfer bottles between stores, even of the same chain, nor can they sell product back to the distributor. Once it's in the store they either have to sell it or drink it.

Special Reserve
01-19-2011, 18:33
Out in the field today. After doing a building inspection, stopped by a party store over on the east side. Just looking to pick up a bottle of WT 101. Sitting on the shelf were three bottles of VWFRR. I was taken aback! First because I found VWFRR and 2nd this is Tony's (ACDetroit) backyard. Anyways, two bottles have made their way home with me and I left 1 bottle for Tony (or any other MI hounds). My 2nd surprise came when I took a closer look at the bottles and saw they are both "I" bottles. I have had this experience before. Recently picked up a bottle of Stagg and much to my surprise in turns out to be a 2009 bottling. Apparently, there are older bottles of BTAC, VWFRR and likely Pappy 15 yr sitting in some distributor's warehouse. I highly doubt that some of these bottles have been sitting on store shelves for over a year.

TB,

I've had similar experiences. Recently I found a WLW 117.9 that was not in the store on many earlier visits. Also in the recent past, I found old (cheesy gold medallion style) RHF and of all things a gold veined OWA that the store owner insisted just came in "this week" and had absolutely no dust on the bottle.

Will

The Boozer
01-19-2011, 18:51
That's an exciting find. Were they reasonably priced?

I think the natural incompetence of any system run by a government is probably a benefit to dusty hunters. In Illinois, stores can't transfer bottles between stores, even of the same chain, nor can they sell product back to the distributor. Once it's in the store they either have to sell it or drink it.

Chuck, they were priced @ the State min of $59 and change. Store advertized State minimum price which is the reason I stopped. Had a similar experience last year when I found 3 bottles of WLW. Thought they were all 2009. Nope; 05', 07' and 08'. Got those at the State min price also.

roostercogburn
01-19-2011, 19:09
Chuck, they were priced @ the State min of $59 and change. Store advertized State minimum price which is the reason I stopped. Had a similar experience last year when I found 3 bottles of WLW. Thought they were all 2009. Nope; 05', 07' and 08'. Got those at the State min price also.

Really good find, Boozer. I'm still kicking myself for passing on what seems to be the last two bottles in the Dallas area (for 59.99 too!), which were picked within days of my passing them up. Valuable lesson learned.

unclebunk
01-19-2011, 19:17
TB,

I've had similar experiences. Recently I found a WLW 117.9 that was not in the store on many earlier visits. Also in the recent past, I found old (cheesy gold medallion style) RHF and of all things a gold veined OWA that the store owner insisted just came in "this week" and had absolutely no dust on the bottle.

Will

Hmm...time to re-visit all those stores I checked out last year. Who knows what may (re)appear?

Parkersback
01-19-2011, 22:14
Any tasting notes on these new bottles would be mighty welcome.

BBQ+Bourbon
02-10-2011, 10:09
After reading this thread, I checked the two bottles of in my cabinet for both the hand written date and the printed julian date. The first bottle, purchased fall of 09 is marked NoA3875 while the printed date is K2590914:26. I'd interpret that to say it was bottled on the 259th day of 09 at 2:26pm which jives with the time of purchase. The second bottle is marked No.B4246 and the julian date is N2771011:23 which seems to indicate it was bottled on the 277th day of '10 which also jives with the timeframe in which I found the bottle.

Also, the UPC of the first bottle is applied OVER the printed date on the bottle. I had to scrape it off to read the julian date.

Beer&Bourbon
02-10-2011, 11:40
The bottle I got the other day is also a new B bottle. When I first popped it I got lots of caramel corn with oak and lots of rye spiciness on the tail - the rye spiciness that I've long searched for.

Right now I'm picking up lots of caramel corn and vanilla on the nose. There's a good amount of citrus on the nose that really comes out on the tongue as well. Oddly this isn't something I particularly noticed on my last few go arounds.

SMOWK
02-10-2011, 22:19
I love the dryness of these bottles. The one I have open now is a B and it's got a great spicy dryness that is outstanding.

squire
02-13-2011, 18:44
They do rye right.

tommyboy38
02-16-2011, 17:42
I thought the latest bottling wasn't quite as good as the Earlier "I" and "A" versions. I'll have to try them again.

HRay
03-22-2011, 23:49
I am having trouble finding any VWFRR in Atlanta. I would love to find a couple of current bottles so I could finish the "I" bottle that I have had opened for quite a while and compare it to the current offering. This is one of my two favorite whiskies of all time (Saz 18 being the other one). I might have to resort to mail-order!

Brisko
03-23-2011, 07:55
I don't see it at my regular haunts here in Minneapolis, either.

wripvanwrinkle
03-25-2011, 19:26
I have a bottle from the recent "b"release...and it is the only bottle in my cabinet that I ration.

Most of the time i get punched in the face with caramel followed by a back hand of dark cherry. Other times the cherry comes first. This is followed by vanilla and spice.

The taste is again caramel and dark fruit, with soft rye and hints of milk chocolate. The finish is long.

This isn't whiskey. This is the stuff that I imagined pirates drinking when I was a child.

RyanL
04-22-2011, 03:00
If anyone could point me in the right direction within a 50 mile radius of St. Louis, MO or could help me out with some send me a PM. I have looked and called around nearly everywhere but can't find any. Ever since trying it I was blown away and was hoping to not have to wait until Fall.

angler82
04-22-2011, 09:08
Good luck with the search. I spent a months looking for a bottle in New England and only got one as part of the fall release. I didn't want to pay ebay prices for one.

If you can find Michter's 10 year rye you should pick that up. To me its almost identical to the Van Winkle rye and in the same price range. Its a hell of a lot easier to find.

unclebunk
04-22-2011, 09:27
I really enjoy the Michter's 10 too but it's a bit pricey, at least around here.

The Boozer
04-25-2011, 09:55
Nearing the end of a bottle (Letter "I" IRC). It seems to be getting better with a some air time in the bottle. When I first opend it about 6 months ago, it was good but not great, the flavors were more subdued. Now, after about 10 minutes in the glass, they're front and center.

Special Reserve
04-25-2011, 16:33
Nearing the end of a bottle (Letter "I" IRC). It seems to be getting better with a some air time in the bottle. When I first opend it about 6 months ago, it was good but not great, the flavors were more subdued. Now, after about 10 minutes in the glass, they're front and center.

Yes like all other Van Winkle products, they stand up well to time after they are opened.

Parkersback
04-25-2011, 16:56
This is good incentive for me to let my first bottle of rye rest. The first pour was no disappointment at all: I got cherries, spice and sweet, a really nice pour. But as I only have that bottle, and one more, I wanted to make it last, and now I have another reason.

cowdery
05-02-2011, 19:37
There were a couple bottles of this open at the General Nelson on Saturday night. The generosity and anonymity of the Gazebo table are two of its more wondrous aspects. As many great things there were there to try, I kept going back to the Van Winkle Rye.

I hope a reason Rittenhouse is in short supply is because Heaven Hill is holding back some barrels for extra aging. I think a Rittenhouse at 10+ years might approach the Van Winkle.

BradleyC
05-03-2011, 20:26
I hope a reason Rittenhouse is in short supply is because Heaven Hill is holding back some barrels for extra aging. I think a Rittenhouse at 10+ years might approach the Van Winkle.

I hope you know something that we don't.

cowdery
05-03-2011, 22:57
I hope you know something that we don't.

Sadly, I don't, I'm just hoping.

DeanSheen
05-04-2011, 07:08
" I kept going back to the Van Winkle Rye."

Me too, after a GBS member forced me to help finish a 2004 GTS. That was a brutal saturday night, GTS and VWFRR.

VWFRR still my favorite VW product.

BradleyC
05-04-2011, 09:18
I hope a reason Rittenhouse is in short supply is because Heaven Hill is holding back some barrels for extra aging.

This seems logical enough to me and is the story I'm sticking with. I agree that VWFRR is the best of the VW lineup and potentially the rye category altogether, but I am very thankful for Rittenhouse. It helps get me through the year. I've done side by side comparisons between the two enough times to know that Rittenhouse is an outstanding product. To see it in a 10 year or barrel proof form (or both) would make me an even happier Rittenhouse customer than I already am.

SMOWK
05-05-2011, 15:45
VWFRR still my favorite VW product.

Every time I reach for it, it hits the spot like no other. Either I've gotten really good at knowing when to pull it out, or it always delivers. I think a little of both.

DeanSheen
05-05-2011, 19:51
Every time I reach for it, it hits the spot like no other. Either I've gotten really good at knowing when to pull it out, or it always delivers. I think a little of both.

I have 3 in the bunker. It pains me every time I think about the opportunity I had early in my bourbon career to buy a case and I passed.

I still rue the day.

When the kid was born in January and we came back from the hospital after 3 days I had my SIL and BIL here from England and Canada respectively. I had not had a drink in 5 days. We opened a bottle of VWFRR and that sucker was gone in less than 2 hours. Ahh but it was tasty.

SMOWK
08-22-2011, 14:39
Reached for this one when I got home from work and am now thoroughly enjoying a pour. To me, this shows more oak than the 20 or the 23 year bourbons.

Nose - OAK with spices such as clove, cinnamon, pepper. Fruits such as apple, pear, and slight citrus. Flowers from honeysuckle to roses as well.

Taste - Dry and bitter oak on the front. A strong spice with a light sweetness throughout.

Finish - A very long, dry, spicy finish. Lots of oak. Clove, anise, cocoa. A bit of nuttiness hangs on at the end with walnuts and almonds.

I can't say enough about this one...

ethangsmith
12-17-2011, 17:31
Just got my first bottle of VWFRR today and had a drink. What a unique rollercoaster of flavors. Oddly, there are some flavors in it that are in common with a few of the bottles of Michter's Pot Still whiskey I have. On the tongue it was almost buttery. It was light and slightly bitter. It changed quickly though into an earthy wood explosion. I agree, this rye has more wood notes than most bourbons that are 5 to 10 years older. It's pure wood and char with shadows of a dry, spicy rye. Almost instantly after it's out of your mouth, it turns to a coffee, toffee, and caramel flavor that lingers for quite a while. Certainly something to reach for when I'm looking for a complex, slow sipper. Not for the American whiskey novice- it may just knock your socks off.

p_elliott
12-17-2011, 21:41
I agree, this rye has more wood notes than most bourbons that are 5 to 10 years older.

The VWFRR 13 is really 18 yrs old it was tanked when it got to be 18 yrs.

StraightNoChaser
12-18-2011, 11:43
I've tried three different bottlings of the VW rye in the past couple weeks, a B bottle from the current allocation, an A bottle from the past couple of years, and a G bottle that I found in the boonies. We were blown away how different the G was from the A and B bottles. It had a ton more sweet, oaky influence to it compared to the A and B. Granted, they were all amazing, but the G was really something else.

I've also got an older B bottle laying around... I think this may be from the original run of letters because it is written in pencil vs. ink like the newer ones.

ethangsmith
12-18-2011, 13:34
How do the letters work again? Did they start over again at A recently?

timd
12-18-2011, 15:31
How do the letters work again? Did they start over again at A recently?
Yes, and now up to "B" again... I believe it started over after H or I - although I've never seen either H or I, but I've covered most of the letters aside from those two over the years.

Not one bottle of any lettering was anything less than spectacular. Even the older A,B,C,etc. stuff (that is technically younger whiskey) is sublime.

tommyboy38
12-19-2011, 21:39
I believe it went from "I" to "A".