PDA

View Full Version : Bookers

No Chaser
07-23-2007, 01:56
My dad just bought a bottle of Booker's and only realized when he got home that it was around 125 proof. My question is, is it suggested that this be tried with water, considering the insane alcohol content?

ILLfarmboy
07-23-2007, 04:09
Nothing insane about 125 proof. But go ahead and add a bit of room temperature water if you aren't use to over-proof spirits. In any case proceed with small sips and enjoy.

mythrenegade
07-23-2007, 10:02
I drink Bookers the same as every other bourbon I drink: with three cubes of ice. I find that I like the coolness of the bourbon and this is how I enjoy it. Products like Bookers and OGD 114 stand up well to the dillution the ice offers, while things like EWSB don't do so well...

Bookers is a very tasty bourbon with a lot to offer. What is really special is that you are getting the product undilluted out of the barrel, which gives you a chance to taste the full flavor that bourbon has available.

For some the "burn" is too much. That may be you guys. But try it neat first, just a small amount. Next try it with some ice, and see how you like it. If it's still too much, then by all means add water in small amounts until you find how you like it.

Joel

jburlowski
07-23-2007, 15:53
But try it neat first, just a small amount. Next try it with some ice, and see how you like it. If it's still too much, then by all means add water in small amounts until you find how you like it.

Joel

This is good advice for just about any bourbon. Try it straight; then try with a little water added. I's amazing how this can "open up" a pour and bring out the complexity of flavors.

This can be especially true of the very high proof iterations, which can deden the taste buds.

Frodo
07-23-2007, 23:31
Bookers is a very tasty bourbon with a lot to offer. What is really special is that you are getting the product undilluted out of the barrel, which gives you a chance to taste the full flavor that bourbon has available.

I agree with this 100%. With the agressive flavour profile of Bookers, I've generally watered it down some trying to get to 100 proof. Even taking it down further, the flavour is still pretty full-on compared to what I'm used to.

gothbat
07-24-2007, 04:59
It has been a while since I've had Bookers, the last time was a few years ago when I was first getting into bourbon. Anyway, I remember that at times I was bothered by the burn a little bit and I found that simply holding the snifter and letting the palm of my hand warm it up (give it a little while) seemed to make this go away so my suggestion would be to do that with a little in the glass (the less you have the faster it should warm) and take small sips. It was actually with this bourbon that I stumbled upon the value of letting it warm up in my hand, if I recall correctly it really brought out the flavors in this one. Water is probably not a bad idea but I've never added it to any bourbon.

No Chaser
07-31-2007, 18:28
My friend and I had it last night with a splash of water; night and day.Straight, it's muted, almost odorless and flavorless. A little water turns it into a wondrous creation. Thanks for the advice guys, now I love this bottle!

cowdery
07-31-2007, 20:09
I know I'm late in replying, but I always think it's important to give people permission to add water to their whiskey. Everyone is entitled to their personal tastes but no one is entitled to make others feel obliged to drink their spirits straight. Room temperature water is the best thing to use for tasting purposes (cold dulls the taste buds). Dilution up to 1:1 still provides a lot of flavor.

I recommend the following.

Nose the whiskey neat. Take one or more very small sips. Then add a little water. Nose again and taste. Add more water if necessary.

No Chaser
08-01-2007, 08:54
The forum is called straightbourbon after all : )

ACDetroit
01-09-2008, 23:32
I ran across a couple Bottles of Bookers the other day in the all wood box. No plastic sleeve lid. I'm sure these are older bottlings. Should I grab them? Will they be any better than the newer stuff? I know that is the case with some not all out there today!

Thanks for you help (in advance).

Tony

camduncan
01-10-2008, 02:36
I don't know if the whiskey will be any different, but those boxes sure are hard to come by...
Most probably got used to start bbq's when the bottle had emptied :bigeyes:

Does anyone know if these are the boxes that Bookers first sold in?
(I don't know who mentioned to me they may have been :skep: )

gothbat
01-10-2008, 04:37
I can't comment on the taste because I haven't gotten around to opening it yet but the proof is slightly higher on the one's I've seen that don't have the plastic panel. If you think you want to try it then grab it, in all the liquor stores I've been to (the majority of which sell this) I've only ever seen two like this.

Barkley
01-28-2008, 23:04
I know I'm late in replying, but I always think it's important to give people permission to add water to their whiskey. Everyone is entitled to their personal tastes but no one is entitled to make others feel obliged to drink their spirits straight. Room temperature water is the best thing to use for tasting purposes (cold dulls the taste buds). Dilution up to 1:1 still provides a lot of flavor.

I recommend the following.

Nose the whiskey neat. Take one or more very small sips. Then add a little water. Nose again and taste. Add more water if necessary.

My thoughts exactly.

wadewood
07-16-2008, 05:47
I ran across a couple Bottles of Bookers the other day in the all wood box. No plastic sleeve lid. I'm sure these are older bottlings. Should I grab them? Will they be any better than the newer stuff? I know that is the case with some not all out there today!

Tony

Tony - did you by these all wood boxes? If so, did you try it yet? I ran across a stash of these (and at $40).

bluesbassdad
07-16-2008, 12:53

Tony

Tony,

If you bought and still have those boxes, then this (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10100&highlight=+bird+house+#post10100)may interest you. (Hey, CL! Are you lurking by any chance??)

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

ACDetroit
07-22-2008, 19:16
No but they are still there I looked at them again the other week. $53 plus tax here and I have an open on the bar so it's tuff to grab at that price. I'd rather go a few bucks more and grab another BTAC.

Tony