PDA

View Full Version : Four Roses Salutes Rutledge with "Barrel Strength" Limited-Edition Bourbon

cowdery
07-28-2007, 18:13
In September, during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival, Four Roses will release a new, limited-edition, single barrel bourbon in honor of Master Distiller Jim Rutledge's 40th anniversary in the industry. Only 1,700 bottles will be filled. Each will be hand-numbered. The bourbon will be 13 1/2 years old, bottled uncut and unfiltered. The proof will be 104.2. Right now, at least, they're calling it simply Four Roses Barrel Strength.

As a single barrel, this represents just one of Four Rose's ten "flavors." They haven't said yet which one. This also will be the oldest Four Roses product on the market, at least here in the US. I haven't seen final packaging yet, so I don't know if there's going to be an age statement on the label, but they're saying 13.5. No Four Roses product, at least none sold in the US, carries an age statement.

I have tasted it. It's very good, as you might expect, and is well-balanced as you expect of anything from Four Roses. Surprisingly, considering its age, there is very little taste of char, none of soot, and none of the astringency that is expected from something this old. It is on the dry side, showing a lot of spice. I'll go out on a limb and guess it's the high rye mash bill and "spicy" yeast.

Since Four Roses is only sold in Kentucky and metro New York, those are the only markets that will get the Barrel Strength product.

Rutledge, by the way, isn't retiring or anything. They're just marking the 40-year milestone.

Here's an interesting fact from the press release. Four Roses sales in its two US markets has doubled each year since the brand's reintroduction in 2002.

Rughi
07-28-2007, 18:55
I've been really looking forward to the announcement from Four Roses; it has seemed almost too good to be true.

Hey moderators - will the press release be placed up in the "Industry News" forum? I'll be interested to see if it'll be a Kentucky only release, or if all states in their distribution will get it.

Roger

barturtle
07-28-2007, 19:18
I had an email from FR this morning about this...it doesn't say specifically that it won't be everywhere, but 1500 bottles won't go far...remember Wt Tribute was just under 5000...how hard was that to find?

SBOmarc
07-28-2007, 19:33
That is a point that I was going to make. I don't think it will make it to many shelves even in the KY and NY metro markets either.

scratchline
07-28-2007, 20:06
Jim Rutledge assured me that there will be an allocation to the NYC area when this product is released. I'll definitely be following this up as I tasted it last weekend at the Mellow Moments event and thought it was FANTASTIC!

Mike

TNbourbon
07-28-2007, 20:13
The Rutledge email today sounded like it will be available for tasting at the "Let's Talk Bourbon" event Sept. 14 at Four Roses, during the Festival. Might be a chance to taste it if you're attending the Fest, even if you aren't able to get a bottle.

scratchline
07-28-2007, 20:17
Chuck, the 40th anniversary bottling is the 20% rye mashbill with the "O" yeast.

Gillman
07-28-2007, 20:19
Very cool, I hope one of our group can snag one of these for Gazebo upcoming.

Gary

Virus_Of_Life
07-28-2007, 20:35
Can't think of anything I have been more anxious to taste!

OscarV
07-28-2007, 20:47
yeah, this is exciting.

cowdery
07-28-2007, 21:25
Chuck, the 40th anniversary bottling is the 20% rye mashbill with the "O" yeast.

Hummm. I guess more tasting is required.

The thing about these "limited editions" is that they are toes in the water for the companies. They're trying to figure out what the magic numbers are. Sure, 1,700 doesn't sound like much, but that's for two markets whereas Tribute and some of these other things have been national and even international, at least ostensibly. The best thing for us as enthusiasts is that when these small releases create a lot of buzz and sell out instantly, that emboldens the companies to do more of them.

Has anyone heard a suggested retail yet? My guess is it will be north of $50.

HighTower
07-29-2007, 05:04
I gotta get me some of that! Awesome!
And then I'll be eagerly anticipating Parker's Heritage Collection!
Have I mentioned lately how much I love this site???:bowdown:

Scott

Phischy
07-30-2007, 09:57
Hmmmm....I guess I'm SOL out here in Cali. We can't even pick up any Four Roses labels, I have 2 bottles I picked up my last time in Kentucky but that's not exactly convient.

cowdery
08-04-2007, 12:49
Suggested retail will be $60 to $75.

HighTower
08-05-2007, 05:47
A little off topic, but I am trying to get a bottle of the Four Roses Super Premium/Platinum, I know it is a Japan thing, but is it ever available in the US? Maybe from the distillery??
Cheers

Scott

BourbonJoe
08-05-2007, 06:08
Scott,
It is not available in the USA, or the Distillery. You may find an occasional bottle on E-Bay. That's where I got mine.
Joe :usflag:

HighTower
08-30-2007, 16:42
With the new Four Roses Barrel Proof being available at this years KBF, it brings me to ask......Is there anyone going to the KBF that lives somewhere that you can ship alcohol from, that wouldn't mind picking me up 3 bottles of this bourbon, and then sending it to Australia? I can send payment prior to the festival.
If anyone can and is willing to help me, please PM me or drop me an email.
(hightower@straightbourbon.com)
Thanks in advance!
Scott

TBoner
08-30-2007, 21:03
I wouldn't mind a bottle, either, and would also be willing to pay in advance. I had thought I might make the KBF, but work and grad school aren't shaking out that way, I guess. So, if anyone wants to pick one up and bring/ship it to TX, PM me.

Vange
08-30-2007, 22:20
Is the 4Roses BS bourbon available for retail purchase already?

ACDetroit
08-31-2007, 05:21
http://www.fourroses.us/press/BarrelStrengthProduct.pdf

This shows the bottle but it's a bit small. Can not tell if the age in on it but the 40th anniversary is!
Looks very somilar to the FRSB Bottle.

mozilla
08-31-2007, 16:58
Four Roses has stopped taking reservations for the 40th FRBS. Looks like it will appearin stores near the KBF.
Jeff Mo.

HighTower
09-08-2007, 17:13
With the new Four Roses Barrel Proof being available at this years KBF, it brings me to ask......Is there anyone going to the KBF that lives somewhere that you can ship alcohol from, that wouldn't mind picking me up 3 bottles of this bourbon, and then sending it to Australia? I can send payment prior to the festival.
If anyone can and is willing to help me, please PM me or drop me an email.
(hightower@straightbourbon.com)
Thanks in advance!
Scott
Maybe nobody wants to ship to Australia? I have a good friend that lives in Florida that could send it on to me, so with the KBF only days away from starting, is there anyone who would be willing to get me 3 bottles of this fine bourbon and ship them to Florida? Again, I can pay in advance!
Thanks
Scott

BourbonJoe
09-09-2007, 10:31
Three bottles may be next to impossible. I just talked to Yumiko at Four Roses. This bourbon is now on allotment and issued, only one bottle per person at the gift shop. Good luck getting three.

jburlowski
09-09-2007, 17:27
Too bad... Rutledge deserves this kind of recognition (a label bearing his name) that his peers have received)... He has done so much for the industry and to expand and enhance the $R brand.

Three bottles may be next to impossible. I just talked to Yumiko at Four Roses. This bourbon is now on allotment and issued, only one bottle per person at the gift shop. Good luck getting three.

Vange
09-10-2007, 09:15
So this wont be sold in NY? Only at the gift shop?

cowdery
09-10-2007, 11:19
So this wont be sold in NY? Only at the gift shop?

No, it is being sold in the only two US markets where any Four Roses is sold, which is Kentucky and New York.

Incidentally, for all of you who think all the best stuff is leaving the country, this is only being released in the USA.

Vange
09-10-2007, 11:37
Chuck, thanks for the info. Do you happen to know who the distributor or which stores may carry it or should I ask 4Roses?

cowdery
09-10-2007, 16:46
Any retailer who currently has any Four Roses product likely will at least have the opportunity to buy some of the Barrel Strength. Same with distributors.

boone
09-12-2007, 01:03
Scott,

Did anyone find a bottle for you?

HighTower
09-12-2007, 05:33
I have at least 1 up my sleeve at this point Bettye Jo.:cool:
I will find out tomorrow if I will get the other 2 I am chasing.

Many thanks to .......you know who you are!

Scott

boone
09-12-2007, 09:20
I stopped by Toddy's last night to pick up some pourer's for the sample bottles to be used during the tasting.

I invited Guthrie to our tasting and started checking to see what he had on the shelf...He's well stocked with everything. I made a check list of all the stuff that folks ask for and he had it on the shelf! He also mentioned that he would have the new bottling for Rutledge. He asked me if I wanted one...

The barrel that he bought is there...a stack of cases as high as me!...I think it was 125 proof. He said if folks bought three the price would be $25 each...

Sooooooooooooooooo...Guthrie is well prepared :grin:

Many thanks to .......you know who you are!

Scott

wadewood
09-12-2007, 22:44
I'm not going to make the festival this year. Had planned on it, but Trina and I are moving to Houston and just too much to do in getting house ready for sale and preparing for the move.

If anyone could pick me up a bottle of this Barrel Proof from 4 Roses, I will gladly repay and it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

HighTower
09-13-2007, 09:05
Looks like it's just the 1..... I'm sure I'll get over it.
I guess I should be thankful I'm getting any at all!

Scott

sysrick
09-13-2007, 12:08
from the Party Source Newsletter (Bellevue, KY):

Four Roses Jim Rutledge Commemorative Edition
Four Roses has released a special commemorative bottling in honor of Master Distiller Jim Rutledgeís forty years in the Bourbon industry. Jimís illustrious career began with Seagrams forty years ago, and today he oversees the rebirth of Four Roses, one of the greatest distilleries in America.

The Party Source is proud to sell this fine Bourbon, bottled uncut at full barrel proof and without chill filtration.

Friday, September 14 at 8:00 a.m.

Sales of the Jim Rutledge Commemorative Edition are limited to one (1) bottle per person. First come first served.

Four Roses Jim Rutledge Commemorative Edition
Size: 750ml
Price: $58.99
Limit: One (1) bottle per customer
Aisle Location: Case Central desk

camduncan
09-13-2007, 15:27
Damm, do they take International Orders over the phone? :(

doubleblank
09-14-2007, 13:46
I've grabbed three bottles here so far during the Festival. Very good stuff to say the least. Most interesting thing is the proof. Each bottle is from a different barrel and the proofs are as follows:

Barrel 15-1A 104.4 proof
Barrel 17-1B 99.4 proof
Barrel 17-1C 102.8 proof

Assuming the barrel entry proofs were considerably higher, then these barrels were located in a spot in the rickhouse where the proofs went down with ageing. Must have been a cool and damp place. They weren't stored in Scotland were they.:grin:

Randy

nor02lei
09-14-2007, 14:25
I've grabbed three bottles here so far during the Festival. Very good stuff to say the least. Most interesting thing is the proof. Each bottle is from a different barrel and the proofs are as follows:

Barrel 15-1A 104.4 proof
Barrel 17-1B 99.4 proof
Barrel 17-1C 102.8 proof

Assuming the barrel entry proofs were considerably higher, then these barrels were located in a spot in the rickhouse where the proofs went down with ageing. Must have been a cool and damp place. They weren't stored in Scotland were they.:grin:

Randy

Randy,

When in Coxís Creek in September Mike (something) told me the barrels were filled at 120 proof and it was normal that the proof goes down slightly in the 6 barrels high warehouses. However 99.4 isnít slightly to me.

Leif

jburlowski
09-14-2007, 15:39
Got a bottle from the Part Source (Bellevue, KY) this morning. They got eight cases.... either they are a BIG 4R customer or this stuff may not be as scarce as advertised.

barturtle
09-14-2007, 23:37

Barrel 15-1A 104.4 proof
Barrel 17-1B 99.4 proof
Barrel 17-1C 102.8 proof

Randy

I picked up two so far, both Barrel 15-1C 104.6 proof...know another place tha has some will try there tomorrow for another barrel...

barturtle
09-15-2007, 08:31
Looking to see if we can amass a list of all seen editions:

15-1A 104.4
17-1B 99.4
17-1C 102.8
15-1C 104.6
17-1D 102.2
17-1F 101.4

The last two picked up this morning.

If anyone has a bottling not listed, add it in...

sysrick
09-15-2007, 14:38
Barrel 17-1A 104.0 proof

ThomasH
09-15-2007, 18:03
Barrel 15-1B 100.4 proof

craigthom
09-16-2007, 09:13
Barrel 17-10 51.1% 377/1442

The Liquor Barn on Hurstbourn in Louisville had at least two cases out. They are selling them for $60.

TBoner
09-16-2007, 09:32
Okay, but what I want to know is, has anybody tasted it? I saw Randy's note that it's good, but I want to know more.
Thoughts? Notes? Anyone else?

Ahh...I'm just jealous that I'm not there.:grin:

doubleblank
09-16-2007, 18:39
OK Tim.....I'll add a little commentary. On the nose, its completely consistent with FR SB. The initial taste is also consistent.......spicy with some floral notes coming over from the nose. The 13 1/2 years of age show up to me as additional weight and body.....and finally in a drier finish than their younger SB. I like it alot. I like the regular SB too. This is excellent whiskey.

Randy

TBoner
09-16-2007, 22:40
Great! Thanks, Randy. Sounds like everyone had a good time, and that this bottling was worth the anticipation. Looking forward to more impressions.

Gillman
09-17-2007, 08:45
Randy has pegged the palate (at least the one on the Gazebo table and I assume all are broadly the same).

I got two, both 15-1B like Tom's, not tasted yet.

I would say because they are "big" in character as opposed to regular FR Single Barrel, they are particularly good for drinking on the rocks. The regular FRSB is great but seems attuned more to neat or "cut" sampling.

Gary

fog
09-17-2007, 10:04
Some of these are lower in proof than the standard single barrel. Is the standard single barrel bottled at a higher proof, or is it approximately a barrel strength product as well?

Gillman
09-17-2007, 10:18
The standard single is 100 proof. With the younger whiskies used, they have enough barrels at > 100 proof to dilute to 100.

Gary

fog
09-17-2007, 10:55
One of Wild Tukey's marketing points is their low distillation proof. I have not seen similar marketing by Four Roses, although perhaps Four Roses is cut with even less water, given that Rare Breed is a little under 110 proof.

Gillman
09-17-2007, 11:06
I'm not sure what FR's distillation proof is. My guess would be they distill at 130-140 and let it down to 125 for the barrel. From there, the ones that do not increase in alcohol will go perhaps (over 6-7-8 years for the Single Barrel) down to 110 or less and as you suggest are reduced a bit to meet the 100 proof requirement for this brand. The ones at 13 years plus go lower simply because the process is going on that much longer (exterior humidity reduces the water coming out of the barrel while letting the alcohol out untramelled). But say they distill at around 110, well then the drop over 7 years might be to 105 and 100 or so for the older ones. In other words, I don't know the loss rate of ethanol and the distilling-out proof and am just giving examples of what I think happens but the first one is (in my belief) probably closer to the reality.

AVB
09-17-2007, 11:15
So what seems to be the going price of this?

Gillman
09-17-2007, 11:22
$60.00

Gary

MikeK
09-17-2007, 16:48
I was puzzled at the low barrel proof of this edition. I wondered if Four Roses single story warehouses made the proof go down over time. He mentioned something about these barrels being from an experimental batch that may have been entered into the barrel at 100 proof. He then had to go and I didn't get any further info.

Khari
09-17-2007, 18:12
Is there anyone in the Bellevue, KY area that would be willing to pick up a bottle and ship it for me? I'm happy to pay in advance. Please? Pretty please?

ThomasH
09-17-2007, 23:12
When I toured Four Roses last year, I was told that they distill to 140 proof and was even given ataste right off the still. The stuff I had was quite sweet tasting. I can't remember the what proof they barreled to!

Thomas

Gillman
09-18-2007, 06:43
Interesting if they diluted to 100 from 140, Mike. In that case, the proof (as one would expect in Kentucky) would have gone up somewhat. I would think that is a fairly large dilution, but I don't really know of course. Maybe he meant they distilled and they entered at about 100?

Gary

BourbonJoe
09-18-2007, 14:07
$60.00

Gary

$75.00 at Toddy's. He screwed us for the last time though.

barturtle
09-18-2007, 20:50
Of the 9 I bought 8 were $60 one was $55

luv2hunt
09-18-2007, 21:18

I can't believe you bought them! I drove around and picked some up priced appropriately at $59.99! One cent cheaper than at the Four Roses Breakfast :) What a deal!

Dawn

MikeK
09-19-2007, 04:31
That seems to be an unfortunate trend at Toddy's this year. He wanted $50 for VWFRR. We left it on the counter and found all we wanted elsewhere for $37.

:hot:

OscarV
09-19-2007, 12:21
Got my two bottles today via the mail.

Barrel No. 17-1C
Warehouse No. SS
102.8 proof

Barrel No. 17-1G
Warehouse No. SS
101.6 proof

Please don't ask me what I paid, cuz I don't like to be laughed at, but I do have two!!
Besides bourbon will get you thru times of no money, better than money will get you thru times of no bourbon.

darkluna
09-19-2007, 16:08
Attaching the official Four Roses news release for future reference

Gillman
09-19-2007, 17:19
Here's a formal review of FRBS, Barrel No. 15-1B, only 50.2% ABV.

Of the 1442 bottles in total filled, mine was the 29th (per side label), so presumably 15-1B was the first dumped or at least packaged.

The nose discloses a typical Four Roses Single Barrel smell, but more intensely. There is cinammon red hots, some well-seasoned wood and alcohol, and some kind of fermented fruit underneath. Also, there is a certain odour that I used to talk about in the best whiskeys, which is the "old roses" or aged damask rose smell, "old books" partly too. Some of this may be from the rye since I found it both in the best younger and older ryes (e.g., WT rye and Julian's ryes).

Colour is a dark reddish copper.

The taste is a little bitter, tangy, not necessarily well-integrated, but full of diverse flavours. It is not as complete as I would like, maybe a little too dry.

Now if I could taste a vatting of all ten, or even five, but you know where I'm coming from..

This bottle still will get very good use: the riot of flavours will shine through with rocks treatment, or maybe even a dash of water to display them. Bourbons that are not silky smooth are best drunk that way, and a silky smooth bourbon often seems bland with rocks or water, so it all kind of makes sense.

Still, I'd like to taste the 9 others (as I did Charles Miller's 10 barrel samples of Weller 107); if I did I'm sure I'd find where the sweet spot is.

Gary

AVB
09-21-2007, 11:35
I just got a bottle from barrel 15-1B at 100.4 proof if you want to update your listing.

Ack, I didn't scroll down to see the review. I guess you know all about barrel 15-1B already.

Vange
09-21-2007, 11:43
AVB, where did you get one of these? I cant track anyone in NY that has them in stock yet.

AVB
09-21-2007, 11:52
I live near YORK, PA not New York. A friend who lives in Kentucky sent me one.

AVB, where did you get one of these? I cant track anyone in NY that has them in stock yet.

AVB
09-21-2007, 12:01
Is anyone tracking bottle numbers too? Mine is 63/1442 so that leads me to believe that barrel 15-1B was the first bottled.

Gillman
09-21-2007, 12:06
I notice a lot of interest in this bottling and some of it I know comes from the simple desire to collect a rare item. I don't share that interest, since I buy only to drink the bottles within a short time, but I understand it since the collecting bug is one shared by many people.

For those interested only in the taste, I can only speak to the bottling I have tried, which is 15-1B. In my view it is certainly good whiskey but not superlative. I just can't speak for the other 9, we know how barrels can vary one to the other. The others may be great or some of them and if so people will want understandably to try to get or taste one of those.

But if they all taste like mine did, I would say, you are not missing anything essential. Based on my tasting of this one expression of the Barrel Strength release, I would say the regular single barrel is still the classic expression of Four Roses or in other words, Four Roses at its best.

Gary

Vange
09-21-2007, 12:44
I live near YORK, PA not New York.

OOPS! Thanks anyway though.

camduncan
09-21-2007, 15:08
But if they all taste like mine did, I would say, you are not missing anything essential. Based on my tasting of this one expression of the Barrel Strength release, I would say the regular single barrel is still the classic expression of Four Roses or in other words, Four Roses at its best.
Gary

Interesting Gary - I particularly note the comparisson too FR SB, as I was just (very generously) sent a 90 proof FRSB bottle by one of the SB.com members. We can't get Four Roses here in Australia*, so I'll be interested to taste both bottles when my Barrel Strength bottle arrives.

* There is a single retail outlet interstate who is selling Four Roses imported from the UK (we believe). I have three bottles of standard yellow label Four Roses and two bottles of the UK Single Barrel on hand, but have only opened one of the yellow label bottles so far.

Gillman
09-21-2007, 19:16
I'd be interested in your reaction when you get the Barrel Strength, Cam.

Gary

OscarV
09-24-2007, 14:41

So what's up with this guy?
I called him,(Guthrie) last Monday and gave him my card number to send me up a bottle of the Willet Estate Bourbon.
I checked my card purchases and he has not charged me for this,or sent it up.
Last year when BTAC Handy Rye came out I called down and again gave him my card number to send me up one.
A week after that nothing on my charges.
So I called down and asked if there was a problem, and he told me something about his family and no time etc.
But he would "ship it out tomorrow".
Still ain't got it.
Is he dumb or just a jerk?

If he doesn't want to do mail shipments then why does he do all that used car salesman BS and then just blows you off?

HighTower
09-26-2007, 15:09
Well it didn't take long for one to end up on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/FOUR-ROSES-BOURBON-WHISKEY-40th-ANNIVERSARY-BOTTLE_W0QQitemZ280155910069QQihZ018QQcategoryZ139 16QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
US$139.99!!
Went to the UK.

Scott

HipFlask
09-26-2007, 19:56
Now I am stoked. I read the press release and it is coming to Illinois by the end of the year. I'm sure I won't be able to get the barrel strenght stuff but a close by supply of single barrel and small batch is very exciting. How long until I can get some in Wisconsin?

BourbonJoe
09-30-2007, 17:03
I know Gary Gillman tried a different bottle and was not thrilled, but what a difference in bottles. I tasted 1018 of 1442. Unbelievable. Nose of cotton candy and the candy from candy apples. Taste was extremely lush and sweet with dark fruits abounding. A very long finish with the candy holding thru the finish. One of the best, if not the best bourbon I've ever had. I wish I had a case of this bottling, which was the 102.8 proof. A fitting tribute to Jim Rutledge who Is a great Master Distiller and one of the nicest guys on the planet.:woohoo:

Gillman
09-30-2007, 17:09
Sounds like a keeper, Joe, thanks.

Gary

craigthom
10-04-2007, 16:06
I stopped by the Liquor Barn off Westport in Louisville praying that the BTAC 2007 had shown up (no luck) and saw that they had six bottles of this on a Four Roses display case in the area between the bourbon shelves. I didn't see any on Fern Valley earlier in the week. I haven't stopped by Hurstbourne lately.

OscarV
10-07-2007, 04:11
So what's up with this guy?
I called him,(Guthrie) last Monday to send me up a bottle of the Willet Estate Bourbon.

But he would "ship it out tomorrow".
Still ain't got it.

Crow eating time.
Apology time.
Feel like an ass time.
And a humiliating public embarassment time.

Guess what I got in the mail Saturday?
A beautiful bottle of Willett Estate Bourbon.
Selected for Toddy's & Dougz Fall Festival 2007
Distilled 5/21/03
Four years old
125.4 proof
Bottle No. 125 of 216
Warehouse B
Rick 54
Barrel No. 2

I have been to Toddy's twice, Oct '05 and Oct. '06 and dropped $450.00 over those two visits.
I met Guthrie the first time, a very personable guy, we had a good chat about bourbon.
I was looking over his selection, which is very good, and he asked me what I thought about Basil Hayden.
I said that it was much a-do about nothing.
He smiled and gave me a thumbs up as if to say, yeah this guy knows bourbon.
Being new to the world of bourbon I felt like I passed a test and now I am in the club.

I wonder if my quick-trigger-hot-tempered post was brought to his attention? hhmmm.
Oh well, I'll be going to KY in a few weeks or so, maybe I should stop in at Toddy's and recieve a deserved verbal ass kicking for being a dumb jerk.

JSutter
10-14-2007, 15:35
I managed to get my hands on 5 bottles all from barrel 17-1D. I cracked one open last night and loved it.

ggilbertva
10-14-2007, 22:16
I too picked up 4 bottles over the last couple of days. All from 17-1D.

cowdery
10-15-2007, 16:29
I wasn't really looking for it, but happened to find a bottle on a store shelf in Louisville and grabbed it. It was a 17-1G. Don't bother asking where, because it was their last one.

Virus_Of_Life
10-15-2007, 18:41
I wasn't really looking for it, but happened to find a bottle on a store shelf in Louisville and grabbed it. It was a 17-1G. Don't bother asking where, because it was their last one.

I am very surprised to hear that there are still some of these on the shelves in Kentucky. Think there will still be any when I get there in April? :slappin: :lol: :slappin:

tsh3406
10-15-2007, 20:27
I have 3 bottles from barrel 15-1c, I believe they were the highest proof. Anyway, it will be a few months before our family gets together and I open one. Iím getting anxious though, so has anyone opened a bottle from this barrel? Initial impressions? What little Iíve read, the barrels vary considerably. Between all of us here, has each one been tasted?

Tim

craigthom
10-15-2007, 20:48
I saw a half dozen or so on a display stand at the "little" (Fern Valley) Liqour Barn in Louisville last week.

luv2hunt
10-20-2007, 09:14
So far we have bottles from:
151A 104.4 proof (mine says 52.5%--that's 105 proof?)
151B 100.4 proof
151C 104.6 proof

171A 104.0 proof
171B 99.4 proof
171C 102.8 proof
171D 102.2 proof
171F 101.4 proof
171G 101.6 proof

That's nine barrels. There's gotta be more??

If you have an extra 171G and want a different bottling....send me a pm ;)

Dawn

BourbonJoe
10-20-2007, 10:56
That's nine barrels. There's gotta be more??

Dawn

There were Ten in all. You still need one.

jburlowski
10-20-2007, 14:40
This is very nice stuff.... a fine representation of Rutledge and FR. Makes me excited about what other treasures are lurking in those rickhouses.

wildcatdon
10-23-2007, 14:46
I am in Louisville and would like to know where i can get some..I did not see any in Liquor Barn yesterday..Anyone know another store to go to? Thanks

craigthom
10-23-2007, 14:51
Which Liquor Barn did you go to? I saw some last week at the Fern Valley one.

I did not see any at Party Mart yesterday, but I was not looking specifically for it. I have not been to the other two Liquor Barns lately, but I am pretty sure it was gone from the Hurstbourne one weeks ago.

ACDetroit
10-23-2007, 15:40
I left 3 on the shelf at a Liquor Barn in Lexington as I thought 9 was enough. I have since talked to Dawn who informed me I might have been wrong:grin: !!!

Tony

Solomon2
10-23-2007, 17:00
I am very envious. :hot:

wildcatdon
10-24-2007, 10:31
it was the hurstbourne lane barn,Craig..I called Old Town liquors when i got home and they have some..$57.99 per bottle and one per cust..What have you guys been paying for this stuff?

craigthom
10-24-2007, 14:23
That's a good price. I paid $60 at the Hurstbourne Liquor Barn.

See if they have any of the single barrel Old Weller left when you go to Old Town. If they have the second barrel in, let me know!

While on Bardstown Road, I recommend stopping by WHY Louisville for your souvenir needs. They've got interesting T-shirts and postcards and posters. WHY stands for "What Have You", a quote from the Big Lebowski.

OscarV
10-24-2007, 14:58
See if they have any of the single barrel Old Weller left when you go to Old Town. If they have the second barrel in

Old Weller Single Barrel?
Is this a different bottle from the Old Weller Antique?

barturtle
10-24-2007, 15:47
Old Weller Single Barrel?
Is this a different bottle from the Old Weller Antique?

This is Old Weller Antique 107 proof, only it is a single barrel that was hand selected by a group of people, some of whom are members here (myself included, in this case) The first batch of bottles seems to be gone, but a second batch of bottles (from a second barrel we picked) was recently bottled and should be currently in stock.

OscarV
10-24-2007, 16:09
This sounds most interesting.
When did you do that first bottle?

Does anyone have an extra?

Could I get in on this current bottle?

I have a bottle of Old Weller Antique, picked it up a little over two years ago but I haven't gottten to it yet.

cowdery
10-24-2007, 19:39
I paid $58.99 at State Liquor in St. Matthews, but I got their last one (I think).

ACDetroit
10-24-2007, 20:59
$54.99 in Lexington for 6 bottles of the 40th The other 3 of my haul were $59.99. I also ran to Old Town last Sunday for the Weller and they told me they were out. Not sure if that's true but that's what I was told...I may not have known the double top secret password!!! I did get a Party Source Antique 107.

Tony

fussychicken
10-24-2007, 21:22
All you guys getting it for ~$60 consider yourselves very lucky. I'm on a business trip out in Long Island and picked up two bottles of 151A for $80 each. (gulp!) I still consider myself lucky for finding some, just not very lucky considering the price. :) (Sorry I was not able to make it into Brooklyn Lenell, I would have rather gotten them from you!)

DrinkyBanjo
10-25-2007, 05:41
I hope to acquire one or two from LeNell this weekend myself!

RichWNJ
10-25-2007, 18:02
stopped by LeNell's for the first time yesterday , what a place. got the barrel strength, single barrel, small batch and regular as I've never had 4-roses before. Looking forward to to a nice sidexsidexsidexside tasting experiment

jburlowski
10-26-2007, 15:38
I am in Louisville and would like to know where i can get some..I did not see any in Liquor Barn yesterday..Anyone know another store to go to? Thanks

This afternnon there were several sitting on the shelf at the Party Source in Covington... if you are interested in making the drive.

luv2hunt
10-26-2007, 17:21
151A 105 proof
151B 100.4 proof
151C 104.6 proof

171A 104.0 proof
171B 99.4 proof
171C 102.8 proof
171D 102.2 proof
171F 101.4 proof
171G 101.6 proof

So nobody has the 10th barrel yet to tell me what I'm missing!! ;);)

Dawn

BourbonJoe
10-27-2007, 10:09

Dawn

Dawn,
I'd have to think the missing barrel is 171E, proof unknown.

ACDetroit
10-27-2007, 14:18
Well OscarV and I sampled the 15-1C today...WOW!! This stuff is unbelievable. As said before the balance of sweet and spice is spectacular as only Jimmy Rutledge can do. Does anyone have his address? I think I'll send hime some flowers with 4 roses in the center :slappin: !

Great stuff!

Tony

luv2hunt
10-27-2007, 21:57
Dawn,
I'd have to think the missing barrel is 171E, proof unknown.

Joe....they could have skipped E....you know "E" is for Ewwwww:eek:

nor02lei
11-03-2007, 13:46
I almost got a shock when first tasting the 101.4version. Bunches of alcohol in both nose and taste. Almost impossible to drink neat but a bit better with water. I figured it needed oxidation and put it away for a couple of weeks. That did wonders. The alcohol was completely vanished and all of a sudden it tasted at its best neat. Itís very light overall as I see it and both the nose and taste are basically a fruit mix with maybe some bubblegum notes as well. Best part is defiantly the very long finish were the fruit also include peels (probably from the extra years in wood).
It was partly a disappointment and not really what I had expected but on the other hand it was very interesting and individual indeed.

Leif

camduncan
11-03-2007, 15:16
I'm the proud owner of a 151B 100.4 proof bottle.

The cheeky bugger cost me nearly two months of bourbon budget at approx $140US.

This bottle will feature in our own "Four Roses Downunder Tasting" in the very near future.

:bowdown:A special thanks to the SB.com members who helped Scott and I aquire these bottles - you guys are awesome :bowdown:

OscarV
11-06-2007, 15:22
151A 105 proof
151B 100.4 proof
151C 104.6 proof

171A 104.0 proof
171B 99.4 proof
171C 102.8 proof
171D 102.2 proof
171F 101.4 proof
171G 101.6 proof

Dawn

I have been checking into this and this is what my KY connections have told me and I quote,...

"There were two barrels which didn't get bottled or shall I say not sold at retail. They only tested at 87 proof. Four Roses gave them to their employees. I still might be able to get one. I am trying."

Sounds interesting.

Gillman
11-06-2007, 16:54
Good research, but would that not have made 11 barrels?

Gary

Virus_Of_Life
11-11-2007, 01:29
I was lucky enough today to get bottle(s) from 15-1B, 17-1C and 17-1G.

I also tasted at Bourbon's Bistro tonight the 15-1C which was way different than the bottle I have at home (thanks Dawn) from which barrel I cannot recall. What that made me realize is that these may not be quite as close in profile as all suspected, either that or my taster was off a note.

Bottom line, I was out of my shoes happy to be in Kentucky and getting some of this stuff I'd never see in person!:grin: :D

Gillman
11-11-2007, 17:32
Had the chance to try 171D now, it's 51.1% ABV. It is quite similar to the first one I mentioned of slightly lower proof. Good, rich whiskey with notable spicy notes. I find consumed neat the wood is too forward (for me), but adding ice and maybe a little water brings it into its own.

Gary

cowdery
11-22-2007, 20:11
Has Four Roses been spotted in Tennessee yet? I was reviewing my notes from Rutledge's "Let's Talk Bourbon" in September and he seemed to be saying that, at least initially, it would be in the Nashville and Chattanooga metros only. That may be wrong, as my note-taking frequently sucks, but I think that is what he said.

Tracy Hightower
11-24-2007, 04:47
Has Four Roses been spotted in Tennessee yet? I was reviewing my notes from Rutledge's "Let's Talk Bourbon" in September and he seemed to be saying that, at least initially, it would be in the Nashville and Chattanooga metros only. That may be wrong, as my note-taking frequently sucks, but I think that is what he said.

I went into my nearest store last Wednesday in New Johnsonville, TN and found a sign that said "Four Roses is Back".

I picked up a bottle of Single Barrel and opened it on Thanksgiving. As I am new to this I can only say that I liked it. It is the first time I have ever seen Four Roses sold here. I paid $34.96 for the 750ml bottle.

I will probably go back and get a bottle of "Barrel Strength".

TNbourbon
11-24-2007, 09:29
Has Four Roses been spotted in Tennessee yet?..

The basic Four Roses lineup -- yellow label, Small Batch, and Single Barrel -- began appearing in Middle Tennessee about a month ago. Distribution supply almost immediately ran out, but is since available in apparent larger quantities. Price seems to be a couple of dollars higher than Kentucky (plus sales tax, of course), which isn't too bad compared to some other brands.
I've walked a few people to them in our store during the couple of weeks it's been on the shelves, and we're maybe a third of the way through a mixed case. Will be interesting to see how many re-buy.

whiskeyhatch
11-24-2007, 23:09

I saw the Single Barrel, Small Batch and yellow label at Jax's in downtown Chattanooga this month.

Luna56
11-27-2007, 21:02
Anybody seeing any Four Roses in the Knoxville area yet? Going there in two weeks and would love to bring some back.
Cheers!