PDA

View Full Version : Early Times

atkinsa
07-29-2007, 08:39
I'm new to this forum but had a quick question. I found an old bottle of Early Times. It dates back to the late 1980s, though I'm not sure exactly what year. The bottle is still sealed so I assume the contents are still good. First question, is Early Times a good product or was it a good product at the time? I've always assumed it is a pretty low priced drink and have been weary to try it. Second, is this bottle worth more than the contents inside?

TNbourbon
07-29-2007, 11:11
I'm new to this forum but had a quick question. I found an old bottle of Early Times. It dates back to the late 1980s, though I'm not sure exactly what year. The bottle is still sealed so I assume the contents are still good. First question, is Early Times a good product or was it a good product at the time? I've always assumed it is a pretty low priced drink and have been weary to try it. Second, is this bottle worth more than the contents inside?

Not sure when Brown-Forman stopped distributing Early Times bourbon in the U.S., but I think it was before the late-'80s. Does the bottle state 'Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey', or simply 'Kentucky Whisky'?
In either case, it's not 'collectible', except as a novelty if it happens to be the bourbon variety (which is only today distributed overseas). A 750ml bottle will set you back $11-$12, after tax, around here. It's priced about right.

atkinsa
07-29-2007, 11:15
I think it says Kentucky Whiskey. Looks like it is destined to be opened by myself. Is it something you would recommend drinking straight, or should it be mixed?

TNbourbon
07-29-2007, 11:53
I think it says Kentucky Whiskey. Looks like it is destined to be opened by myself. Is it something you would recommend drinking straight, or should it be mixed?

I don't know anyone who drinks it neat, except to see what it tastes like that way. It's a mixer.
By the way, in case you wonder about the difference between it and bourbon, the Kentucky Whisky is a combination of 80% bourbon and 20% whiskey aged in used barrels. Bourbon MUST be aged in new barrels.
Now, don't ask me WHY they do that.:skep:

atkinsa
07-29-2007, 12:11
Yeah, I was familiar with the difference. Thanks for the information though. I think Early Times and 7-Up will be it's final destination. It was my grandfather's drink of choice. As this was his bottle, though I just found it this past year, I think that would be proper.

cowdery
07-31-2007, 16:53
The change from bourbon to Kentucky Whiskey happened in 1985 or thereabouts.