PDA

View Full Version : On Lots of Rocks

pausted
08-13-2007, 18:59
Hello All,
My profile says I have been lurking here since 2004. Time flies when you're having fun.

I live in South Texas and the weather here is normally VERY HOT. As a result I drink bourbon on lots of rocks. I mean: fill a rocks glass to the top with good ice and pour a generous bit over the top and sip and enjoy.

Thought I would share with you my current favorites to enjoy in this manner.
These are in order of preference:
1. Old Fitz BIB DSP 16. (I have about 3 1/2 liters stached.)
2. Rock Hill Farms
3. Russels Reserve 90
4. Bakers
5. 12 yo Wellers
6. Old Charter 10 yo.

On another topic, because it is hot here, I enjoy a tall bourbon and ginger after a day at the office. My favorite for this is McAfees Benchmark. This is a very credible inexpensive bourbon from Buffalo Trace (my favorite distillary) and perfect for mixing. My retailers here sell the plastic 1.75 for abour 12 bucks.

Glad to finally get involved with the group. Let me know what you think.

BH

TNbourbon
08-13-2007, 19:06
Enjoy it however you like it -- we all do, to one extent or another, though many of us like it a variety of ways.
Personally, it looks to me like you have a very versatile group of bourbons -- ones that can be enjoyed either neat, mixed, or on the rocks. I might, however, add a straight rye, which also can be very versatile, and yet representative of a heavy spiciness you might not otherwise have in your current bottlings.

pausted
08-13-2007, 19:15
Thanks Tim,
Good idea. I can get WT, JB and Old Overholt locally. Any suggestions?
BH

TNbourbon
08-13-2007, 20:37
Thanks Tim,
BH
Of those, Wild Turkey. Saz Jr. is a great, versatile whisky at a reasonable price, if you ever run across it. I've recently found Old Overholt (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=93426&postcount=14) a great mixer, too.

whiskeyhatch
08-14-2007, 00:32
Thanks Tim,
BH

If I can throw in my 2 cents: JB white label does not seem to be very popular on this site. But if I were in a bar that had a special on well drinks, and JBW was the only bourbon in the well, I'd gladly have it on the rocks. JB black label is very good on the rocks. WT 101 -- love it. Old Overholt is one of my favorites in the bottom shelf category. I'm not a big rye guy but this is a very flavorful, though youngish tasting whiskey. I really like the price, too. Welcome aboard!

ratcheer
08-14-2007, 15:14
Just about my favorite on lots of rocks is Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

Tim

Aged In Oak
08-14-2007, 18:04
I'm usually not a big fan of bourbon on the rocks... something about drinking it cold that doesn't appeal. The one exception (so far) is Booker's, which I think stands up well to ice because the flavor is so strong. That said, I'll drink it neat sometimes too. Depends on my mood.

pausted
08-14-2007, 20:37
As we speak, I am enjoying some Old Fitz BIB from SW. The bottom of the bottle says 1988. I know I should probably drink this neat but I like cold whiskey Maybe the freezer?

A short story: I was in a store a few weeks ago and noticed a row of green label Old Fitz BIB behind the counter where the check out was. I asked the young lady to let me see a bottle. Sure enough, DSP 16. They were 200 ml bottles at $3.79 each. She had 12 bottles. I took them all. My math says $18.95 a liter. Not bad and she gave me a 10% discount for buying them all!

SBOmarc
08-14-2007, 22:16
That never happens to me.

ggilbertva
08-15-2007, 07:54
Hello All,
My profile says I have been lurking here since 2004. Time flies when you're having fun.

I live in South Texas and the weather here is normally VERY HOT. As a result I drink bourbon on lots of rocks. I mean: fill a rocks glass to the top with good ice and pour a generous bit over the top and sip and enjoy.

Thought I would share with you my current favorites to enjoy in this manner.
These are in order of preference:
1. Old Fitz BIB DSP 16. (I have about 3 1/2 liters stached.)
2. Rock Hill Farms
3. Russels Reserve 90
4. Bakers
5. 12 yo Wellers
6. Old Charter 10 yo.

On another topic, because it is hot here, I enjoy a tall bourbon and ginger after a day at the office. My favorite for this is McAfees Benchmark. This is a very credible inexpensive bourbon from Buffalo Trace (my favorite distillary) and perfect for mixing. My retailers here sell the plastic 1.75 for abour 12 bucks.

Glad to finally get involved with the group. Let me know what you think.

BH

I too like a good ginger and whiskey....my fav at present is Rittenhouse BIB and ginger. The rye with the ginger is great in my opinion. The Rittenhouse runs somewhere around $18 a bottle.

ggilbertva
08-15-2007, 07:57
As we speak, I am enjoying some Old Fitz BIB from SW. The bottom of the bottle says 1988. I know I should probably drink this neat but I like cold whiskey Maybe the freezer?

A short story: I was in a store a few weeks ago and noticed a row of green label Old Fitz BIB behind the counter where the check out was. I asked the young lady to let me see a bottle. Sure enough, DSP 16. They were 200 ml bottles at $3.79 each. She had 12 bottles. I took them all. My math says $18.95 a liter. Not bad and she gave me a 10% discount for buying them all!

I had the same exerpience about 2 months ago. Except my bottles varied in size from 375ml, 500ml, 750ml, 1L and 1.75L. It was quite a haul.

ratcheer
08-15-2007, 15:00
I just got home from work. It is 103 F, here (something else in C). I thought I'd have the WTRB on the rocks, but I discovered that there is currently no open bottle of it. So, I did it with Elmer T. Lee, instead. It is wonderful - sweet and caramel-ly! :yum:

Tim

Picker22
08-15-2007, 19:26
I have a friend who drinks his scotch with crushed ice. Tried it with bourbon and find it quite enjoyable........

OscarV
08-16-2007, 12:45
Bourbon on crushed ice is called a Bourbon Mist.
I don't care for cocktails and when not drinking it straight this is how I drink it.

pausted
08-16-2007, 20:11
Tonight it was Buffalo Trace on the rocks. This is really a fine whiskey. Not quite so hot here today. The storm went in to Corpus Christi, about 150 miles N of us. We got some cloud cover and some showers. Now we wait to see what hurricane Dean is going to do. Think I'll have another BT.
BH