PDA

View Full Version : New to the site...Love the Spirit!

ACDetroit
08-14-2007, 12:50
Hello everyone, and by no mean does my intro make me knowledgeable on the Spirit. I started in 1988 Beam WL switched to Maker's and in the early 90's tried a Bourbon sampler of the Small Batch variety (Very Nice!!) at a restaurant while out with my parents.

Started collecting in the early 2K's and have about 80 some bottles, not all opened at this time. I have just started into the under 20 dollar realm and have read many posts in this area. Just picked up an AAA 10yr and a McKenna 10yr BIB, both are unopened. As for my likes and some of what I have

PVW stash 15yr(x2), 20yr(x3) and 23yr (x3).
Distillers Masterpiece 18yr (x3 + 1 half full) and 20yr (x3)
Sazerac 18yr. 2004 (x2)
2005 KY release Stagg (x2) and (1) 2006 release
ER SB 10yr 1.75L one started and one back up (Love this stuff) Have the 17 yr. not opened yet.
2 bottles left of my last purchase of (8) Four Roses SB (Another Fav)
2 Liters of BT one signed by Elmer.

If anyone has a suggestion for favorite under $20 let me know (I do plan on getting the EC 12yr this week).

I look forward to meeting everyone. I see a few names I recognize from other forums.

OscarV
08-14-2007, 14:10
Howdy!
Welcome aboard, but then it is not my board.
So I'll just say, Hi there from one Michigander to another.

Special Reserve
08-14-2007, 17:15
AC,

Welcome. Oscar forgot to tell you that you will need to share a drink with your fellow instate Bourbonites. (Just kidding.)

Nice collection. Do you have a favorite store?

Will

HipFlask
08-14-2007, 18:27
WildTurkey Rye, Rittenhouse rye BIB and Eijah Craig 12 yr are some of my under 20 favs. The Rittenhouse can be found for 11 bucks and it is a heck of good pour too. Also you need to add Blantans or Rock Hill Farms or Elmer T Lee to your collection. Heck you should just get them all you won't be dissatisfied.

ACDetroit
08-14-2007, 20:43
AC,

Nice collection. Do you have a favorite store?

Will

I have 3 I visit BB's, Wine Village and Parkway. As for a drink from the newbe I'm all for it. I have about 24 open bottles at present, most not listed in my first post.

Thanks for the welcome.

ACDetroit
08-14-2007, 20:54
I did not list the collection, just a few favorites. Currently opened we are looking at.

2005 Stagg KY release
18 yr DM cognac finish
Elmer T. Lee
Hancocks Reserve
Bulleit
Old Forester BB 2002
Vintage 21 yr.
Ridgemont 1792
Buffalo Trace
Noah's Mill
Old Whiskey River
Blanton's
ER SB 10yr 1.75L
EC 18yr.
WR
PVW 15yr.
Booker's
Wathen's
EW SB 1994
WT Rare Breed
Basil Hayden
George Dickel

I do need to try the Rittenhouse and the Elijah Craig 12yr. is next on my list,

ggilbertva
08-15-2007, 06:52
AC,

Welcome and nice looking collection.

For under $20, I would suggest Weller Antique 107 and for slightly over $20 Evan Williams Single Barrel. I really enjoy both of these. I just recently tried the AAA 10 year and really liked it, especially for the price tag of $13 a liter.

ACDetroit
08-15-2007, 09:07
AC,

Welcome and nice looking collection.

For under $20, I would suggest Weller Antique 107 and for slightly over $20 Evan Williams Single Barrel. I really enjoy both of these. I just recently tried the AAA 10 year and really liked it, especially for the price tag of $13 a liter.

and for slightly over $20 Evan Williams Single Barrel

Thanks for the welcome Greg. That's funny I just picked up at lunch today an Evan Williams Single Barrel 1987 (very dusty) hope it's a winner! I know the 1997 is currently on shelves.

I will check out the Weller Antique, Thanks

ggilbertva
08-15-2007, 09:23
Thanks for the welcome Greg. That's funny I just picked up at lunch today an Evan Williams Single Barrel 1987 (very dusty) hope it's a winner! I know the 1997 is currently on shelves.

I will check out the Weller Antique, Thanks

That's awesome you found a 1987. That's a keeper. As you may or may not know, HH was nearly destroyed by fire early November 1996. So, any EWSB that was bottled prior to this timeframe will be legacy HH bourbon...after that, I believe it's Jim Beam. I think the concensus here is that the pre-fire EWSB 1996 is a very good bourbon.

Mike R
08-15-2007, 13:16
Welcome AC,, good to have you here. I also love the Eagle Rare SB 10 yr old.

MikeR

luv2hunt
08-15-2007, 20:01
I'm curious.....None of the members here have ever had a strong attachment to the Distillers Masterpiece bottles. You seem to have one....do you care to elaborate. I've only ever tasted one of them.....and I really don't even remember which one. I think my distance to it has been based purely on price.

Dawn

mgilbertva
08-15-2007, 20:56
Interestingly, Fred Noe was not very enthusiastic when he talked about the DMs either. My brother (ggilbertva) and I attended a lunch at his house last September during the KY Bourbon Festival and he said he didn't think they were much better than Bookers. He wasn't sure if they would do another one or not.

ACDetroit
08-16-2007, 18:41
Well Dawn, in 1999 when the first bottle was released (cognac finish) I remembered seeing this bottle as a kid and said I gota have one of those. The bottle I have open now is #1032, I also have #492, 1001 and 4952 out of the 5000 bottles made. I really enjoyed this expresion! I opened it when we found out the second baby was coming.

I found this bourbon told a very long but sweet story with every sip.

The Nose: Very robust with caramel and apple a slight burn at the end

The mouth: It starts off sweet caramel and apple as the nose lead me to believe this fades into more ripe fruityness to the dry oak and leather.

The Finish: The finish is forever and the mild oak and leather are finished with the sweet of cognac.
I really have enjoyed this bottle.

As for the 20yr (Port Finish) I have not opened one yet but will in January for the birth of my daughter (#2). I have bottle # 892, 894 and 1952. From what I've read on this , the Port did not contribute to the Bourbon as much as the cognac seemed to. I have read this is a more dry wooded tasting bottle...I'll keep you posted.

luv2hunt
08-16-2007, 18:59
HA! I had no idea those bottles were numbered! I have a bottle of the 20yr obviously unopened....#3523....looks pretty on the bookshelf! Pretty cool how the number is in the cap. Took me awhile to find it :blush:

I've tasted the 18yr one....long time ago....think I'm going to have to try that one again! I'm thinking I missed something. . . . . .

Dawn

ACDetroit
08-16-2007, 19:10
Cool, let me know if you try the 18 yr again, I would love to hear a second opinion (Not to say that Mark's was not asecond opinion but I don't think it was first hand??).

I'll pick on Ebay as well. One of these 18 yr. bottles sold for $435.00 plus shipping :bigeyes: !! I find it more fun to hunt/trade for these

The last 2 20's I picked up by trading some WR 4 Grain. The store sold out of the WR @ $93 a bottle. I picked it up for much less and made a good deal for both of us. He got bottles he would sell and I got 2 he had not :grin: !

Your right they are pretty bottles!