PDA

View Full Version : Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve

wildcatdon
08-23-2007, 07:55
Any ever tried this? I have had the Old Charter 12 yr old and rather enjoyed it..The price on that went up $5/bottle since last summer..Would like to know a little about the Reserve..Thanks..Don

heatmiser
08-23-2007, 10:03
It is my favorite of the OC product line...

ThomasH
08-23-2007, 12:40
By all means, get a bottle of OCPR and try it. It is excellent!

Thomas

wildcatdon
08-23-2007, 12:55
thanks,i will head to the store tonight..

smokinjoe
08-23-2007, 12:58
I would also give a ringing endorsement of the OCPR. And, the older Louisville produced OCPR in the "sloped shoulder" bottle is better yet, still.

Cheers!

JOE

jburlowski
08-25-2007, 12:20
One of my favs...

scopenut
08-27-2007, 07:27
Tough to find for me, but my favorite of the OC line.

-Kevin

mozilla
08-27-2007, 07:40
For the price the 12yr is a better value. They taste to similar for the 13 to be a regular pour. The 13 is my special bottle and 12 is every day. Actually, the 7 year 86 proof is the hidden gem of the bunch. It should be said that I have not had the Bib as of yet.
Jeff Mo.

ACDetroit
11-28-2007, 19:37
Well I tried this tonight and was a bit disapointed? It may have been by far the smoothest pour with very little burn, but seemed a bit flat and not much going on. I can say I found it bland really...maybe I just had really high expectations!!

The bottle was open but did not have much missing from it. Dono but it was not as great as I wished.

Tony

Old Lamplighter
11-28-2007, 19:50
Dono but it was not as great as I wished.Tony

Give it a couple or three days and try it again. My first impression and expectations were the same as yours. Since that time it's really grown on me - to the point of being one of my favorites. Sadly though, it is out of production now. As for me, been gathering a few for the bunker of late. IMHO it is clearly the best ever produced with the OC label. That is coming from a guy who first learned to enjoy bourbon a number of years ago primarily from OC10, OC8 and OC-BIB7. For about the first 5 years, OC was all I knew in terms of bourbon......well, not exactly - since I was one of those dummies who thought JD was bourbon!

NorCalBoozer
11-28-2007, 19:58
I agree with Old Lamplighter. This is a great pour, however it's eccentricities may get lost if you're used to spicy ryes or barrel proofs. It really has a great profile that is different yet special.

Jazzhead
11-28-2007, 20:00
This is a bottle that has tasted better as I've sampled more of it. I didn't like it at first, it seemed harsh and uninteresting. Now, with more than half the bottle gone, the flavor has opened up and I can appreciate its merits. A very dry dram - the Rheingold of bourbons?

OscarV
11-29-2007, 04:01
tasted better as I've sampled more of it. I didn't like it at first, it seemed harsh and uninteresting. Now, with more than half the bottle gone, the flavor has opened up and I can appreciate its merits.

This has happened to me with several different bottles of bourbon.
Also the opposite. The first pour or two I would like but the more I drank the less I liked.

Special Reserve
11-29-2007, 16:02
Tony,

Is this the OCPR 13 yr slant shoulder bottling? Or is it the OCPR 13 yr square shoulder bottling? Or is this the OCPR 12 yr bottling? Years ago I had the 13 yr slate shoulder variety and it was prime bourbon.

Will

ACDetroit
11-29-2007, 16:22
Thanks everyone! I will not quit on it but the bottle I had was at the restaurant. I have not opened one at home yet. It was the slope shoulder bottle from Louisville and not the Squared off Centenial bottle from Frankfort that was why I ordered it.

Tony

Old Lamplighter
11-29-2007, 19:01
It was the slope shoulder bottle from Louisville and not the Squared off Centenial bottle from Frankfort that was why I ordered it.Tony

Perhaps it had been open for a very long time, and, if the bottle was running low the contents may have been adversely affected. Many have preferred the Louisville bottle slightly over the newer Frankfort version. I have never been able to tell much of a difference.....both are very good.