PDA

View Full Version : Collectors Corner. What you got?

Glen Mhor
09-02-2007, 08:48
I Started this Thread to see what is out there, and i always like to look at the whiskey's i can not afford. I hope that you can publish some nice photos of some rare "Nuggets.

I START... :) JUST TO GET THIS BIG WHISKEY TRAIN MOVING!

I start with a Bottle of 35 year old GLEN MHOR...The distillery died 1984. It is a Scottish High Lander...A box set with a large bottle, a mini bottle and a piece of the cask. Signatory vintage.... And of some reason that did not work because i have that photo in another post so i will post that one later.

I WILL MAKE IT UP TO YOU STRAIGHT AWAY, by giving you a photo of a bottle of The 15 YEAR OLD READBREAST. Most of you have seen,heard or tasted the 12 year old Readbreast....this one is much less common.

i Would love to try it but i have only one,so if any of you have tried any of the whiskys i display, please tell me what you thought about that whisky.

Glen Mhor

barturtle
09-02-2007, 08:54
I WILL MAKE IT UP TO YOU STRAIGHT AWAY, by giving you a photo of a bottle of The 15 YEAR OLD READBREAST. Most of you have seen,heard or tasted the 12 year old Readbreast....this one is much less common.

i Would love to try it but i have only one,so if any of you have tried any of the whiskys i display, please tell me what you thought about that whisky.

Glen Mhor

I have had the 15yo Redbreast. I too have a bottle, and like you I have only one, but Randy was kind enough to share his...

An amazing Irish with a body and flavor that the 12yo can't hold a candle to. Has to be one of the top 5 Irish I have had the pleasure of tasting.:bowdown:

Glen Mhor
09-02-2007, 08:57
And here is the Bottle of GLEN MHOR i talked about earlier.

Glen Mhor
09-02-2007, 09:12
Here is ANOTHER Redbreast 12 year old botteled in the 1970's. take note of the different bottlestyle(almost like the baileys bottle). It retails for about 250-300 Euro a bottle ($400-500?). It was layed in Sherry casks due to the rapidly dying sherry trade(they had to many empty casks lying about and they were at the end of their life, but they still used them). I have tried this one and it was a bit to oily in character for my taste...but have a great historical value.

Glen Mhor:cool:

Glen Mhor
09-03-2007, 18:02
here is another one that i Love....Not A single Malt, but....oh so rare today....1st Edition of Chivas Imperial, 18 year old and 20 000 bottles was released. The year was around 1990..The guy infront of me, in the Que at the airport bought one and finished that bottle on the flight to the Bahamas... I did not drink mine....that was 18-19 years ago....he was very drunk as you can imagine!...lol:lol:

Glen Mhor

mier
09-04-2007, 01:06
Altough i`ve never tried Glen Mhor i`ve got his brother Glen Albyn 26 yo,a Millburn 25 yo,33 yo St.Magdalene,Oban Distillers choice 20 yo,some Port Ellens(my favorite)25,27,30,35 yo,the MacCallan re-creation serie,some special Islay editions a Lochside 25yo and the first Booker Noe bottling from 1988 and except that one they are all open.You can say i collect empty bottles at the end...:lol: .Slainthe.
Eric.

Glen Mhor
09-04-2007, 05:25
Mier!

Great stuff...i do not think i have tried one of them and i am druling as i am reading thru your impressive list of "nuggets"....i think i have to go to the pub to fill my desire now.....and i will blame you..haha:lol:

You said "they are all open"! I might go to Holland just to try them with you...ha ha Im shore it would be worth the travel and would make a good day out. (just joking)

Do you have any photos of them half full bottles?

Glen mhor

mozilla
09-04-2007, 06:50
Glen Mohr,
I wanted to participate.....but I don't have one bottle of Irish or Scotch. Sorry!

mier
09-04-2007, 07:09
Hi Glen Mhor , cead mile failte!Take that Redbreast with you.
Eric.

barturtle
09-04-2007, 08:14
I have a bottle of Bushmill's Millennium. I still haven't figured out why/how a 16yo distilled in 1975 wasn't released until 2000...

Glen Mhor
09-04-2007, 08:32
Mozilla ! You are always welcome, and that is with or without a bottle, open and half-full bottles are also great,,,,but please do not bring any half-empty bottles. I rather have a half full bottle than an half empty..haha:grin:

Mier!...If i Go to holland i will let you know, and i promise i will bring a Redbreast with me...but it might just be the 12 year old....not sure i can get hold of the 15 year old now... And i would need a Pub guide (i.e. YOU)..:lol: if you would feel to show us the Best whiskey pubs in Amsterdam? / holland.

All bottles have an end, but by the time sad moment comes and the bottle is empty, life looks so good and the blured vision makes everyone look so good that you just do not care... The day after, everything is twise as heavy and dull, but that is tomorrows problem..:rolleyes:

Glen Mhor
09-04-2007, 08:40
Barturtle!

Mysterious are the ways of the whisky Gods (breweries).. But that bottle you have is a "nugget" in its own right....if it weigh to heavy on your shelf and heart, i am willing to to buy it of you to make sure your mental helth is preserved in a stabil state... haha(joking)

Glen Mhor:slappin:

Glen Mhor
09-04-2007, 19:52
Now enough talk from Glen Mhor!...Focus....ok..In a previous Thread i wrote about Jameson 15 year old Millenium Edition...And here is the photo!

i forgot to post it in the other Thread....

Glen Mhor

mier
09-05-2007, 06:08
Hi Glen Mhor, the stories i`ve heard thus far about Cadenhead are that it is very dissapointing i never been there so i can`t judge it but people that have been there know their whiskies,so it is up to you if you want to go there.There is a pot still festival that is held ,i thought, in spring that deals with all major distillations such as whisk(e)y,cognac,jenever,armagnac etc etc and it has a good name in the Benelux,Germany and France. www.whiskyworld.nl (http://www.whiskyworld.nl) .there is also a huge whiskyfest in my hometown in november where there is a lot of tasting to do www.whiskyfestival.nl (http://www.whiskyfestival.nl) .As far as i know there is one pub in Amsterdam of any interest to see for it`s whiskyassortment.You better take a holiday in touring some other places,my hometown has a pub with over 350 brands,Texel island has a pub with over 5000 kinds of whisky and in de Bilt there is a shop/pub has over 2000 brands worthwhile a visit i tell you:drink:.
Eric.

mier
09-05-2007, 06:26
www.potstillfestival.com (http://www.potstillfestival.com) instead of whiskyworld that is!Sorry:grin: .
Eric.

Glen Mhor
09-05-2007, 07:26
5000?.....My head can not comprahend....to much for my brain to deal with! wow

Glen Mhor

Glen Mhor
09-05-2007, 12:00
Today i share with you a bottle Of 4th edition 25 year old PORT ELLEN at cask strength 56.2% vol. 5100 bottles released of this baby....i must be nuts...why do i not drink them?....but they look good on the displayshelves .....i could open up my own whisky bar one day...

Glen More:rolleyes:

mier
09-06-2007, 04:12
You need a partner?I never knew single malts where so big in Eire, afterall you have your Powers:grin: .I`ve been there quite often and all i saw where the average brands and the Walkers red&black and some bourbons that didn`t excite me either(don`t get me wrong,it`s all drinkable).
Eric.

Glen Mhor
09-06-2007, 17:16
GLENGLASSAUGH 19 YEAR OLD

Mier!..lmao...no partner would stand me! im to exentric,,,no, i am not rich enough to be exentric, so i supose im just plain Mad and loopyloop.
But thanks for the offer...lol:lol: I think i have a bottle of POWERS Knocking about,,,I will see if i can find it for you!

Here is another little gem from another dead distillery. Single Malt scotch whisky. Speyside
The GLENGLASSAUGH DISTILLERY, it died around 1986. such a shame, so many realy good distilleries went belly up around that time.

I got this one today. GLENGLASSAUGH 19 YEAR OLD. 40%VOL NOW A SILENT STILL

Glen Mhor

MikeK
09-06-2007, 19:59
Today i share with you a bottle Of 4th edition 25 year old PORT ELLEN at cask strength 56.2% vol. 5100 bottles released of this baby....i must be nuts...why do i not drink them?....but they look good on the displayshelves .....i could open up my own whisky bar one day...

Glen More:rolleyes:

I had some of this a year or so back. (Don't remember if it was the same edition) Splendid dram...

Frodo
09-07-2007, 02:10
I have had one bottle of the 3rd Release PE. One of the best drams I've ever had the pleasure to taste...

BTW, I have 2 bottles of 30yr Brora!!!

Glen Mhor
09-07-2007, 03:56
MikeK!

The Port Ellen is a great whisky. 2 years ago i looked at a 1st edition in a shop,but did not have the money with me, so i went to the bank to get some hard earned cash. when i came back they had sold it, so i had to settlefor the 4th edition.....I was like a sour lemon all day.
yesterday i found the 2nd and 3rd edition but have no money to buy them now. it's a hard old life.

Frodo!

Do you by any chanse have a photo of the Brora 30 year old, that you can post here? it would be nice to see them. or do you know any history of the distillery?
How did you get hold of them?

Glen Mhor ------->:bowdown: :grin: <-------- Frodo

Mier! i Found the powers bottle and i think it is a litre bottle! Happy Days! I post the photo later today.
Glen Mhor

Glen Mhor
09-07-2007, 17:41
Mier!

Here is the photo of the 12 year old Bottle of Powers i dug out of the kitchenpress....dusty and all! i was wrong. i thought it would be a litre bottle, but to my great horror it was a 0.70 bottle...imo, they should be illegal, it should be a crime to make them small bottles. lol

Glen Mhor

Just for Mier!:grin:

Frodo
09-07-2007, 22:21
MikeK!

The Port Ellen is a great whisky. 2 years ago i looked at a 1st edition in a shop,but did not have the money with me, so i went to the bank to get some hard earned cash. when i came back they had sold it, so i had to settlefor the 4th edition.....I was like a sour lemon all day.
yesterday i found the 2nd and 3rd edition but have no money to buy them now. it's a hard old life.

Frodo!

Do you by any chanse have a photo of the Brora 30 year old, that you can post here? it would be nice to see them. or do you know any history of the distillery?
How did you get hold of them?

Glen Mhor ------->:bowdown: :grin: <-------- Frodo

Sorry - no pictures. No camera either!

As it happens, I did purchase 5 Port Ellen 3rd Releases about 3yrs ago. That, the Broras and about 5 bottles from the "Rare Malts" series constitutes my "top shelf" and that I will probably not be able to buy anything like for a very long time.

As for the history of Brora, I've read that the Clynelish distillery was built right beside it to handle more production, and they ended up closing the old Clynelish distillery (what Brora was called before) down. Pity it was only in production for about 15-20yrs I think. I should say I've had some fantastic and some very pedestrian Broras. I think anything that get bottled with a Brora lable on it gets the premium price treatment without regard to what goes into the bottle sometimes.

As to how I got ahold of them, the LCBO is the Gov't monopoly liquor store chain here in Ontario. They were pulling down the price on the 30-yr Broras down to $288.50 so I snagged two. Scary price, but I've heard great things about the bottling!

mier
09-08-2007, 16:46
Mmm Brora a good one but my favorite is still Port Ellen and i don`t care which one,ALL of them are fine!This saturday i bought myself a Lochside 25yo anyone familiar with it?It is a classical highlander and very tasty,i coudn`t resist buying it.That Powers of you i`ve had some good times(and hangovers) with while being in Eire a few years ago, in McGanns in Doolin co.Clare,always a party then.It was a long time practically not to get here but you see it more and more these days.A drink to warm you up now the darker days are drawing near...
Eric.

Glen Mhor
09-09-2007, 16:15
Mier....lol..

I would Realy, Realy like to try that whisky. you are just teasing me... My liver can not take much more of this, but my addictioncentre in my alcohol drenched brain said.."who cares about the liver"...ha ha
I have never tried that one(but would love to) but i might fall over one of them bottles one of them days..(if im lycky)

Here is another bottle that i have had for a while now! Its a bottle of MIDDLETON VERY RARE (not so rare, imo) 2004 botteling. It is a nice whisky with a low burnfactor and easy to drink. A distinct Toffee/caramel and nicly oranged or some kind of citrus i think....all the same, it is a sure card on a introductory level but might not lift to many eyebrows on more experienced people(Mier, Hedmans Brorsa :grin: )whom might have more tastebuds on their pallet.

Have a nice day!
Glen Mhor

AVB
09-09-2007, 20:52
Unlike you I opened and finished my 4th Edition but I still have an OMC 24 yo though. I want to get the Rare Malts one to save but they are getting up there in price now.

I'll add in my pic of a Balvenie 1961 Vintage Cask.

AVB
09-09-2007, 21:03
Here's most of the collection, 160 of 200 or so.

Glen Mhor
09-10-2007, 03:11
:bowdown: AVB!:grin:

Congratulations!

You are the first member in this thread that have contributed with photos,which we/i like to see. what did you win? our respect...lol...i know, it is not a lot but that is all we got, so sherish it..
:slappin:

That is a nice photo you have there. your own little private whisky corner by the looks of it. I can only say "I AM SO JEALOUS".

If you can please post us some photos of individual bottles, especialy the "golden nuggets" in you collection.

when i saw that photo i just wanted to sit down in that chair and taste most of them whilst reading the whiskybible....

Glen Mhor:bigeyes:

mier
09-10-2007, 03:12
Impressive collection you`ve got there AVB must be heaven,see you like yor Islays too ,i saw Bowmore ,Ardbeg and a lot of other goodies,my closet looks very skinny with +100 bottles comparing to your bunker,a pity i don`t have a camera yet!I`ve never had a Midleton but your notes really make me curious Glen Mhor i`ll be on the lookout for a bottle.
Eric.

Glen Mhor
09-10-2007, 04:18
AVB and Mier....Did you say you like BOWMOORE.
I only have one Bowmoore(at the moment) and it is a Bowmoore CLARET bordeaux wine casked, Islay, single malt. it weigh in at 56% alc.vol
Limited edition...i think i tried it (at my local pub where many of my tastings have happend)....late arriving warm sensation(medium burn factor) taste of honey and dates and smoke,but smell of chocolate ..but one thing is sure, it was surely a taste of sea water(slightly salty imo) and if i remember rightly, it had a to strong wine flavor to it and lost its balance...it fell flat on its face...lmao:rolleyes:

compared to you two, i am only an infant in the collection of nice whiskys...

The other photo is my drinking a guinniess, reading Freud. after that i needed a (Auchentoshan) whisky..lol

Glen Mhor

mier
09-10-2007, 05:21
If you can try to taste a Bowmore 21yo same salty taste,bit of smoke lots of fruity tones very peculiar but the Legend is also very tasty.I don`t know about the Claret finish but i had from Glenmorangie three finishes Sherry,Port and Burgundy,the Sherried one was predictable,the Portfinish was nice,well i liked it my cousin didn`t but the Burgundyfinish was ,for me,not worth drinking there was something about it i disliked.I`ve also got a single malt from Austria that was matured in Chardonnay and Trockenbeerenauslese barrels,the 6yo is very dry and malty and the 7yo is like a choclatebomb that explodes it is a very good one to accompany your dessert.Guinness i do prefer it over Heineken i even wash my hair with it:grin: .But Freud??Nah give me something lighter too heavy for me.
Eric.

Glen Mhor
09-10-2007, 18:06
well....now time for something different!

We are going French now,to the region of Cognac to be more geograficly correct.
it is not my strong area of knowledge, but i like to taste one or ten of them on special events.

i have a Vintage Cognac,,,,i am also partial to Brandy anyday with a black coffee on the side.

I know absolutly nothing about this bottle, so any information is helpful!

Glen Mhor

AVB
09-10-2007, 18:15
Here is my top Bowmore, not the hardest to find but it sure tastes good and looks pretty.

mier
09-11-2007, 02:24
A Bowmore Seadragon WOW,i was on the lookout for that but here it is not to get anymore I`ve tried Germany and Belgium too but totally sold out:frown: ,I envy you AVB!
My knowledge of cognac is not that big,i prefer calvados or armagnac instead,but the best area to go to when you`re there is the Champgne,the best cognacs coming from there.Remy Martin also has a cognac called 1759? if i am right which is very hard to get but really worth a try(according to connaiseurs)may be a visit to the house of Martin?I`ve got a tip to enjoy your cognac,put a glass on his head and pour a drop of cognac on the foot and lit it warm your glass with the heat by keeping it above the flame.When it has the desired warmth pour in the cognac and enjoy it.It taste a lot better.I hope you`re not turning into a fulltime cognacdrinker and abandon your whiskeybrothers Glen Mhor:shocked: !Enjoy your holiday!
Eric.

AVB
09-11-2007, 11:34
Try here (http://best-whisky.de/product_info.php?cPath=1_4_132&products_id=644) for a Sea Dragon. It isn't cheap but they list it as in stock.

A Bowmore Seadragon WOW,i was on the lookout for that but here it is not to get anymore I`ve tried Germany and Belgium too but totally sold out:frown: ,I envy you AVB!
Eric.

Glen Mhor
09-11-2007, 14:36
ABV...arrrrggggg...lol
:bigeyes:

That my friend would be a nice trofy for my collection,,,i want it, i want it,i want it...Have you tasted it?....i felt so upbeat when i saw the photo of the Dragonshead that i poured me a large shot of 12 year old readbreast.

I was going to post a thai whisky that i got from a friend, but now when the dragonshead has emerged, so i think i will look for something else that might come close to that nugget of yours.

noooo...i will post it anyway, because of the oriental connection !....lol..:skep:

Mier! I will not EVER give up whisky and turn to the dark cognac side.
whisky is fun.:grin:

Glen Mhor

Glen Mhor
09-11-2007, 18:40
After Posting my previous post i just felt so small and the photo of the thai-whisky just do not fit in to my collection, but is never the less a part of it.

So here we go again!
A 13 year old Single cask, single malt TYRCONNELL(Irish ofcourse:) un-chilled filtered 46% alc vol. A little beauty.......

Glen Mhor

AVB
09-11-2007, 20:24
I've done a number of reviews here (http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4228) if you wish to look at them. Haven't gotten around to a review of the Sea Dragon yet but it has been opened.

ABV...arrrrggggg...lol
:bigeyes:

That my friend would be a nice trofy for my collection,,,i want it, i want it,i want it...Have you tasted it?....

Glen Mhor

AVB
09-11-2007, 20:30
Here's one you might like.

1969 Aberlour 30 year old. I'm pretty sure I can still get this.

brockagh
09-12-2007, 00:24
Here are some from my collection. All but the Bushmills are from closed distilleries. These are ones that aren't in my attic...

mier
09-12-2007, 02:15
AVB thanks there is a bottle Bowmore Seadragon coming my way,i never knew that site, interesting one.I will get a merry christmas.The bottles,Brockagh,look very oldish are they from the original distilleries?They look a lot darker than nowadays but maybe it is the reflection.Glen Mhor glad to hear you don`t go to the other side and stay with us in whiskeyland.A friend of me brought me a bottle of Mehkong from Thailand years ago but i wasn`t fond on it.After the first few glasses i put it at the back of my bunker and maybe a year and a half later i wanted too try it again there was a layer of sediment on the bottom so i trowed the bottle out.It is a whisky made of rice but the companyowner is busy making a more westernstyle single malt,we have to wait for that.If you`re going to France and you are in the neighbourhood of Brittany try to visit the distillery where they make Armorik a nice single malt whisky made from buckwheat very much worth a try.
Eric.

brockagh
09-12-2007, 04:32
Mier, yes they're from the original distilleries. In generaly, they are a bit darker. I don't know if they added caramel back then... The Old Comber is very dark.

Glen Mhor
09-12-2007, 04:39
Brockagh!

That is some nice "OLDIES" on that shelf. you have bought them over time or all at the same time?

Mier...

I have never been to France, but i suppose it is time to go there for the frogg leggs and some wine anyway. wisky made from buckwheat..sounds nice. I have only tasted one whisky of simular sorts and that would be a single Grain,single Malt 8 year old from Greenore....you could drink this fast and easy...it is perfect for a hot afternoon and soooo easy to drink so be careful...warning, it might and should impare your vision!:cool:

Glen Mhor

brockagh
09-12-2007, 05:24
I have gathered them over a long time, but bought the Brusna distillery one and the Old Comber 7 recently.

Of the closed distilleries, I also have some old Jameson 7 yr old, the Cadenhead Bow Street, Knappogue Castle 1951, Old Irish Gold 24 yr old (thought to be DWD), Old Comber 30, Midleton 25, Midleton 26. That's all that I can think of off the top of my head.

I also have the latest Brora 30, a few Port Ellens, a couple of Rosebanks... I'll have to delve back into the attic at some stage and photograph it all.

AVB
09-12-2007, 15:34
You're welcome, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

AVB thanks there is a bottle Bowmore Seadragon coming my way,i never knew that site, interesting one.I will get a merry christmas.
Eric.

Glen Mhor
09-13-2007, 04:12
Here's one you might like.

1969 Aberlour 30 year old. I'm pretty sure I can still get this.

AVB! :bigeyes:

i just now saw one of your previous posts. i missed that post.
The bottle you display is A REAL NUGGET!.... i know i have seen that bottle before, but i have never tasted it.
When confused one should consult the "whisky bible" and take in its wisdom. here is what the oraclebook said:

'A CLEAN, DEEP SHERRY AROMA WITH A LEMON AND MINT RESIDUE:COMPELLING STUFF. DEEP MODERATELY DRY THROUGHOUT WITH A SLOW BUILD-UP OF SPICES AND SMOKE. MALTY, GRAPEY SUCCULENTCE TOGETHER WITH A FRUITINESS ADDS EXTRA COMPLEXITY. LONG AND BRILLIANTLY WEIGHTED, THE FRUIT HELPS SWEETEN THE MALT GRACEFULLY. A CLASSY ABERLOUR WITH GREAT COMPLEXITY.'

IT WAS ONLY 1000 BOTTLES MADE OF THAT HEAVENLY STUFF!
Where do you get them? :bigeyes:

its a sweet life!
Glen Mhor

Glen Mhor
09-13-2007, 04:41
AUCHENTOSHAN 12 YEAR OLD "QUEEN ELIZABETH 2"

This scottish Low Lander is now Dead as a Dodo! Even if the distilleri still exist and is very much alive, this Bottle will never be made again.

The whisky Named after Queen Elizabeth ll, could only be bought on a Cruise ship named after a Queen and the ship is Now non-existent. The ship was once the pride and glory of the Brittish empire, public and the cruise industry. A part of history and national treasure,pride and romantic memories, All in one bottle.

My local pub might still have a shot left, so i will post some tasting notes later!:grin:

ofcourse, if anyone have already tried it? Please share your tasting notes and you will by doing so save my the horrible faith of having to go to the pub and to drink "A" whisky with friends!

Glen Mhor

AVB
09-13-2007, 05:37
Chieftain's Cigar Malt. I try to get some of this on a yearly basis and the latest batch should be released next month for all you UK readers.

Glen Mhor
09-13-2007, 06:39
Chieftain's Cigar Malt. I try to get some of this on a yearly basis and the latest batch should be released next month for all you UK readers.

Ireland is not a Part of the "United Kingdom" It is a freestanding Republic and they had to fight hard to get it back from the "not so United Kingdom." ask the scottish how "united" they feel with the kingdom...lol

The wisky made the battles all worth it i suppose! Proud and tall we drink what is rightly ours.

Glen Mhor

mier
09-13-2007, 07:27
I only have a Auchentoshan 10 yo and i can`t remember if i had the 12 yo,does it has a black label?If so i have drunk it somewhere in time.Aren`t you confusing Auchentoshan with another lowlander distillery Glen Mhor?I thought it was still open or i`ve missed it,since when is it closed?
C`mon Glen Mhor don`t bicker about the English, aren`t we all Europeans nowadays without borders and with one common coin:skep: ?Except the English than that is...:grin: .But i can`t wait to taste their whiskies:drinking:.
Eric.

brockagh
09-13-2007, 11:09
AUCHENTOSHAN 12 YEAR OLD "QUEEN ELIZABETH 2"

This scottish Low Lander is now Dead as a Dodo! Even if the distilleri still exist and is very much alive, this Bottle will never be made again.

The whisky Named after Queen Elizabeth ll, could only be bought on a Cruise ship named after a Queen and the ship is Now non-existent. The ship was once the pride and glory of the Brittish empire, public and the cruise industry. A part of history and national treasure,pride and romantic memories, All in one bottle.

My local pub might still have a shot left, so i will post some tasting notes later!:grin:

ofcourse, if anyone have already tried it? Please share your tasting notes and you will by doing so save my the horrible faith of having to go to the pub and to drink "A" whisky with friends!

Glen Mhor

I tried it at a Celtic Whiskey Shop tasting. It was ok, nicer than the 10 yr old.

Grain Brain
09-13-2007, 12:44
I've got one of these below, from sometime in the 60s. It tasted a little funky when I first opened it, but then revisited it a month or so after opening it and decanting it (the cork had a little mold on it, and had shrunk), and it was fantastic. Only got but a couple of drams left. :(

http://www.thebowbar-sapporo.com/images/Speyside/Dalmore12y60's.jpg

Glen Mhor
09-13-2007, 13:09
Mier and AVB..:lol: i can only say i agree with you that it is all indifferent now. The European union is now the uniter of differences...
I am Scandinavian Living in ireland, so i do not have any irish political standpoints..haha

NOW BACK TO WHISKY TALK...lol..

Mier!
AUCHENTOSHAN, the distillery still exist and is alive and well. it is just the whisky That is Named after the Queen that will never be avalible again..it is no longer produced because the ship is gone.
The label on the bottle is white....in a previous post you have the photos. one of them are of the label

AVB!

Chieftain's Cigar Malt.....How much will it set me back if i wanted to buy one of them beauties? That is a great photo! Tasting notes?

Grain Brain!

welcome to this thread.
2 bottles left? what does it taste like?
That is a grand photo... Can Frodo,Mier,AVB AND Me have a taste...lol

Glen Mhor

Grain Brain
09-13-2007, 13:46
Oh, I wish it was 2 bottles, but alas, no, it's only a couple, maybe three pours left.

It really is a great looking bottle, and the empty is prominently displayed in my bunker.

It is very peaty, but then, I'm a scotch novice. All I know is that it tastes very nice, and I can rarely ever have just one pour.

The good thing is I know where there might be another bottle of this. :)

AVB
09-13-2007, 19:47
Tasting notes can be found with the link in post 39. I don't have the latest price on the Cigar Malt but I'm guessing under 40, they were 35 last year if I remember correctly.

AVB!

Chieftain's Cigar Malt.....How much will it set me back if i wanted to buy one of them beauties? That is a great photo! Tasting notes?
Glen Mhor

mier
09-14-2007, 03:14
A Dalmore would cost about 50/60 eurodollar overhere but the bottle Grain Brain has is priceless because in the 60`s the Dalmore heated its still with a coalfire and it will taste different than the nowadays Dalmore,also sherrybarrels where plenty than.Cherise that bottle you`ve got it is a relic from days gone by.
I`m glad Auchentoshan is still open and i just misread it:frown: .
Eric.

Grain Brain
09-14-2007, 22:53
Okay, that's it... I'll be going back for that other bottle. Thanks for that info, Mier! I woulda never known.

dougdog
09-20-2007, 06:14
Pictures for your review...

I just aquired a few bottles of SMSW and Vatted stuff from a bar that recently closed...these are dusty and greasy from the kitchen residue deposited over the years...some bottles appear to be from the late 70s (maybe some from the 60's)...I haven't had time to make a complete inventory and do investigation for date/era...some bottles are in better condition than otheres, re:fill level, but some are as good as the day they were bottled...

dougdog
09-20-2007, 06:19
A few more to look at...

dougdog
09-20-2007, 06:28
yet more........

DrinkyBanjo
09-20-2007, 07:14
Well I'm jealous.

Gillman
09-20-2007, 08:27
Very cool, Doug. When I finally get the chance to see you properly and visit a bit (maybe later this, or early next, year), I'd like to bring down three current bottles, say a couple of malts and a blend, that correlate to the oldest ones you have (say a Dalmore 12, Laph 10, and a Ballantine) and then compare them to see which is better.

Gary

dougdog
09-20-2007, 08:34
Very cool, Doug. When I finally get the chance to see you properly and visit a bit (maybe later this, or early next, year), I'd like to bring down three current bottles, say a couple of malts and a blend, that correlate to the oldest ones you have (say a Dalmore 12, Laph 10, and a Ballantine) and then compare them to see which is better.

Gary

I'd look forward to your visit....

I've got a couple other older blends that are favorites...Haig & Haig 5 Star...Black and White....Dewars 12yo, and some Ambasador's 12 and 25....

For a blend, 5 Star doesn't suck, or in other words, it sucketh not!....hee heee!

dp

Glen Mhor
09-20-2007, 17:57
Dougdog!///

i will reply to you later, after i have been to the hospital to see if they can correct my dropped jaw. i developed this condition just after seing the photos you uploaded. could there be a conection, you think?

Glen Mhor

barturtle
09-20-2007, 18:03
I, too, look forward to visiting again. There are many interesting bottlings there. Hopefully next time I can find more time for a proper visit.

BourbonJoe
09-20-2007, 18:04
NICE find Doug. Even though I don't like scotch, I'm very happy for you because I know you like it.
Joe :usflag:

dgonano
09-20-2007, 20:08
I remember having a bottle of "The Keith" in the early seventies. Was is a vat of malts ?

Hope to be in Kentucky next month Doug. Will keep you informed.

mier
09-21-2007, 01:22
What a treasure you`ve got over there and they all look in a fairly good condition.Enjoy them and tell us all about them.You`re a priviledged man.
Eric.

dougdog
09-24-2007, 11:44
Dougdog!///

i will reply to you later, after i have been to the hospital to see if they can correct my dropped jaw. i developed this condition just after seing the photos you uploaded. could there be a conection, you think?

Glen Mhor

I hope you're OK, I didn't mean to cause any harm...

jinenjo
09-26-2007, 10:01
Holy single malt, Batman!

Just booked my ticket Doug. Whether or not you're around when I arrive doesn't matter to me. :cool:

Seriously, have you tasted anything yet?

dougdog
10-03-2007, 04:06
Holy single malt, Batman!

Just booked my ticket Doug. Whether or not you're around when I arrive doesn't matter to me. :cool:

Seriously, have you tasted anything yet?

Lear,

I've opened a bottle of the Glen Dew, at a local Whiskey and Cigar event last Saturday evening, but need to spend more time without the cigar smoke...

Glen Dew is a "branded" Highland Malt I think, with my open bottle collection I might be able to figure out which distillery it comes from if I can get it side by side with the right distillery OB.

Some of the other bottles will be taken to MOKtoberfest and Ardbeggeddon of the PLOWED Socitey gatherings and opened there. Some will be traded and some will just sit pretty in the collection for a future dramming session, some day...like when you really do show up on the doorstep! (Got your arrival date and gate number???)

dog

dougdog
10-03-2007, 04:35
I remember having a bottle of "The Keith" in the early seventies. Was is a vat of malts ?

Hope to be in Kentucky next month Doug. Will keep you informed.

Dave,

"The Keith Classic" label says that it is a "blend of malt whiskies"...I transulate that to mean a Vatted Malt product...no grain. It is a 4/5ths quart bottle, imported by General Wine and Spirits Co. Ny/Ny. The bottle has fancy glass embossing and should clean up pretty well. (I though Mouser's had some greasy bottles untill I got a hold of these...) The bottom of the bottle has "Glen Keith-Glenlivet Distillery Co." embossed in the glass too. Glen Keith also had a single malt available in the US too, it was a simple, less complex malt than most other highland distilleries.

Please let me know when you are going to be in KY, I hope you can stop in and stay a while...bring Howie with you!

dog

AVB
10-03-2007, 04:37
Glen Dew was a vatted malt so you might have some trouble identifing all the components in it. North Port and Glenfarclas were supposed two of the malts in it.

mier
10-03-2007, 16:54
I thought Glen Dew 12yo 40% came from a highland distillery and was a single malt,are you sure AVB?I gonna doubt now...
Eric.

AVB
10-03-2007, 19:30
The Glen Dew I know is vatted. Not saying the name didn't go through some variation like Cardhu recently did but I'm over 90% sure.

I thought Glen Dew 12yo 40% came from a highland distillery and was a single malt,are you sure AVB?I gonna doubt now...
Eric.

mier
10-05-2007, 00:55
We`re not talking about the same thing here,Glen Dew is a housebrand from a Dutch importer,their range consist all regions of scotland under the name Glen Dew.Thank god it`s not another scandal like Cardhu.
Eric.

AVB
10-05-2007, 11:17
The Glen Dew (vatted) and Heather Dew (blended) were two releases that contained whisky from the North Port Distillery amongst others. To the best of my knowledge they both were Scottish bottled and sold products. I'm not familiar with the Dutch Glen Dew.

Maybe Dougdog will fill us in with some label info so we'll know which he has.

drrich1965
10-06-2007, 16:30
No photo, but here is my collection, with number of bottles on the far right..FYI, the post started with a disussion of Glen Mhor. I have only had one expression, and here is my tasting narrative (read, long winded notes).

Sm
Glen Mhor 23yo 1978 (56.6%, Scott's)
July 4th, 2007. This has been open a few weeks, but I have not taken notes yet. Nose: Gentle malt, slightly smoky Mouth: Oh, this is very good. Nice and malty, cookies, followed by smoke. Then a dray cookie quality. Some dry oak towards the finish, mild spices. Complex, but in a very understated way.

Ardbeg 12yo 1992 (50%, Old Malt Cask)

Ardbeg 1990 8YO (46%, Murray McDavid)

Ardbeg 16yo Airigh Nam Beist (46%, OB)

Ardbeg Uigeadail (54.2%, OB, bottled 2004)

Ardbeg 10yo (43%, OB, 2005)

Brora 1981 21yo(46%, Signatory, Cask 1586, Bottled 2003)

Bruichladdich 10yo, (46%, OB, 2006, with "Free Glass" in canister)

Bruichladdich 20yo "Flirtation" (46%, 0B)

Caol Ila 8yo (58.1%, G &M, 1999/2005, Binny's exclusive)

Caol Ila 12yo (43%,OB, circa 2005)

Caol Ila 1990 (56.2%, Signatory Vintage, Cask04/549/1, Bottle 9/268, Natural Color)

Clynelish 1993 9yo (43%, Signatory Vintage)

Glenfarclas 12 yo, Gift box, 2006, prior label)

Glenlivet 21yo (43%, OB, 2006)

Glenlivet 1979 27yo (43%, D&M Aficionados' Club-Macillops)

Glenfiddich 21 Gran Reserva Havana Rum Finish (40%, OB, circa 2006, not US version)

Glenfiddich 21 Havana Reserve Rum Finish (40%, OB, 2003)

Glenfiddich Rare Malt (40, OB, 1.25 Liter, Duty Free, 1980s)

Highland Park 18yo (43%, OB, circa 2006, old bottle)

Highland Park 1977 Bicentenary (46%, OB)

Highland Park 25yo (48.1%, OB, 2007)

Lagavulin 12 y/o Special Release 2004 (58.2% OB)

Lagavulin 16 (43%, bottled circa 1993, White horse)

Laphroaig 1999 (58%, Signatory Vintage, Cask Strength, 03/25/1999-08/23/2006, Cask 06/643/1)

Laphroaig Quarter Cask (48%, OB, circa 2005)

Laphroaig 30yo (43%, OB)

Linlithgow 1975 28yo (45%, Blackadder)

Linlithgow 1975 24yo (49.7%, Signatory Vintage)

Port Ellen Vintage 13yo Distilled 1982 (43%, Hart Brothers)

Port Ellen Vintage 1979 (43%, Signatory, Butt 5537, Bottled 2002)

Talisker 10yo (45.8%, 2004 Map Box)

Talisker Double Matured 1992 (45.8%, OB, Bottled 2005)

Talisker 175 Anniversary Malt (45.8%,OB, 2005)

AVB
10-06-2007, 19:07
Same Glen Mhor as I have and your notes are close to what I remember from the last time I tried it. I hope to get a different version at some point.

TBoner
10-06-2007, 19:20
I don't have any pics, but I just picked up a nice bottle: Cadenhead Laphroaig bottling, 12 years old, distilled 1984, bottled 1996. Cask strength, of course.:cool: It was in a pretty crummy store, and the guy knew it was a good bottle, but still had it priced below most Cadenheads I spot around here.

A few other cool bottles include a Talisker 12yo 86.8 proof from back in the day (it even has the Johnnie Walker logo on it), a 16-yo Bowmore from predominantly bourbon casks (from Binny's single-barrel selection), a Murray McDavid "Leapfrog," a Laphroaig they had to bottle under a different name following a dispute with Allied, and a Signatory Ardmore distilled 1992 (i.e. coal-fired stills), bottled at 92-proof and unchillfiltered.

AVB
10-06-2007, 19:59
I guess I'll continue with my Balvenie collection. Here's the 1964 Vintage Cask.
Only 158 of these.

drrich1965
10-06-2007, 22:30
I don't have any pics, but I just picked up a nice bottle: Cadenhead Laphroaig bottling, 12 years old, distilled 1984, bottled 1996. Cask strength, of course.:cool: It was in a pretty crummy store, and the guy knew it was a good bottle, but still had it priced below most Cadenheads I spot around here.

A few other cool bottles include a Talisker 12yo 86.8 proof from back in the day (it even has the Johnnie Walker logo on it), a 16-yo Bowmore from predominantly bourbon casks (from Binny's single-barrel selection), a Murray McDavid "Leapfrog," a Laphroaig they had to bottle under a different name following a dispute with Allied, and a Signatory Ardmore distilled 1992 (i.e. coal-fired stills), bottled at 92-proof and unchillfiltered.

That Talisker is very, very hard to get. Cadenhead Laphroaigs are very, very good, at least the two that I have had. In general, Cadenhead it an outsanding independent bottler; and 50 percent is really about my favorite strenght for SMS.

Also, to date I have not had a binnys barrel selected SMS that was not at least very good (I have had mostly Caol Ila, but Laphroaig as well).

bigtoys
10-08-2007, 21:20
What a great thread. I'm sorry I'm late. Great stuff AVB; Balvenie's are some of my favorites. I may have to start getting some of the rare ones. Will check the local Binny's tomorrow.

Here's my special bottles. Another Bowmore dragon; I haven't opened it yet. HP 30, too.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/HPB30s.jpg

Here's a tough one to find: Lagavulin Distiller's Edition. A friend found a dusty bottle in a London liquor store basement. I got a 2nd one on ebay. The Talisker DE is available here.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/DELagandTallbls3x3.jpg

Grain Brain
10-16-2007, 20:26
I don't have any pics, but I just picked up a nice bottle: Cadenhead Laphroaig bottling, 12 years old, distilled 1984, bottled 1996. Cask strength, of course.:cool:

Nice work, Tim. Speaking of Cadenhead, I finally picked up that 21 yo '74 Caol Ila I'd had my eyes on. At the same stop, I grabbed the Premier Malts 31 yo '75 Longmorn as well. Now I can't decide which to open first. I may need your help. ;)

http://www.wallywine.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/10481.jpg http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mutleyhyde/Whiskey/longmorn31crop.jpg http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mutleyhyde/Whiskey/Longmorn31detail.JPG

bigtoys
10-16-2007, 21:59
Just read in the new Malt Advocate that Lagavulin Distiller's Edition may be coming stateside. I called the PR place, but they didn't call me back. I'll try again soon.

drrich1965
10-17-2007, 21:34
Nice work, Tim. Speaking of Cadenhead, I finally picked up that 21 yo '74 Caol Ila I'd had my eyes on. At the same stop, I grabbed the Premier Malts 31 yo '75 Longmorn as well. Now I can't decide which to open first. I may need your help. ;)

http://www.wallywine.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/10481.jpg http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mutleyhyde/Whiskey/longmorn31crop.jpg http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mutleyhyde/Whiskey/Longmorn31detail.JPG

Well, if you are somewhere where the evenings are cold, break open the Cadenhead's Caol Ila. I have had 14 expresions of Caol Ila, but never one from the 70s. I hear they are a bit bigger and oilier than the 80s malts and on..That works for me..but then again, old Longmorns can be just amazing...they are malty and big enough to really hold the oak for a long time. The best I had was a D and M botteling 31year old..stunnning..Where, by the way, did you get they Cadenhead?

Grain Brain
10-23-2007, 09:48
Thanks for the helpful info on my bottles, drrich. A cold snap has in fact blown into town, so I've got that Caol Ila in my sights.

I'm probably going to save the Longmorn for a group tasting down the road.

As for where I got the Cadenhead, I can only say it was in Texas - I'm not done with that particular store just yet. :bandit:

mier
10-30-2007, 09:21
Got the chance and found the cash for a 40yo Brechin,open it this weekend.Can`t wait till friday really.
Eric.

Glen Mhor
07-11-2008, 13:11
Hello Gang! (Mier,AVB,Frodo AND ALL)

Time for new whiskey Photos of my collection coming shortly.
I have been ill for a good few month, but i am now back, well and healthy(ish).

My newest member in my whiskey collection is a bottle of Bushmills 400 year celebration / anniversary. weighing in at 46%. It is a Crystal Malt whiskey and is suppose to be very smooth. I will add a photo later today or tomorrow.(can not find the cable for my web cam )

My next buy will be a Greenore 15 year old limited edition single grain whiskey that just have been released. I have one bottle reserved for me, now i ONLY have to pay for it. :skep:

I am Glad to be back and i am Super Happy that my thread is still going so strong with over 3722 viewers. Whom would have thought!..

:cool:

Glen Mhor

Glen Mhor
07-11-2008, 17:03
I found the Cable to my webcam!

So without futher a due here is the Bushmill 400 year anniversary Crystal Malt. I have not had the pleasure of tasting this whiskey myself. i did a great sacrifice, went from pub to pub trying to find a pub that had this bottle in stock so i could sample it and report back to all of you's. :toast: I had no luck!

so....if any one of you have sampled the Crystal malt i would like to hear it!

Glen Mhor :cool:

brockagh
07-12-2008, 00:19
I found the Cable to my webcam!

So without futher a due here is the Bushmill 400 year anniversary Crystal Malt. I have not had the pleasure of tasting this whiskey myself. i did a great sacrifice, went from pub to pub trying to find a pub that had this bottle in stock so i could sample it and report back to all of you's. :toast: I had no luck!

so....if any one of you have sampled the Crystal malt i would like to hear it!

I've had it. It's quite nice, but wouldn't be my favourite. I know lots of people that really love it, though.

Glen Mhor
07-14-2008, 12:57
Hello again!

Just as i thought i had no more "Gem's" to show you, i realized i have another 3 bottles of newly bought whiskey's in my collection...

I Did show you the Bushmills 400 year anniversary bottle and that was my last addition to the collection, but i bought 2 bottles of Mackmyra (Swedish whiskey) Limited Edition. They did release 6 different editions and so far i have managed to get hold of edition 03 and 06. (maybe one day i stumble on 01, 02, 04 and 05) :skep:. Do anyone of you have any of these ?

I am intrigued by this whiskey (i think it is the first Swedish whiskey), but i have not had the pleasure of sampling this. Sad, sad...

The Preludium 03 edition is a sherry and Swedish smokey Single Malt whiskey, stored in Swedish oak barrels. From what i hear, this whiskey is very young and have quite a high burn factor with a taste of peat....unsure how peat'ed. it is stored on sherry cask for the last part of maturing before bottled.

Never the less, it is a welcome edition in to my ever growing collection

Enjoy the photos... :rolleyes:

Glen Mhor

mier
07-15-2008, 01:37
Long time no see Glen Mhor,Swedens first whisky was a local blend from Skippets distillery(closed 1966)but Mackmyra is the first single malt,two other groups try to start a distillery but till now without much succes.
I`ve tried the 03 and all i can say it is very young,the oak is Swedish giving it a diffrent taste a bit raw-ish,further it has spicy tones and a taste like burned soil,not unpleasant,a bit smokey but a minimum of peat.Some nice citrus tones and a dry finish.
I am some closer by home, concentrating on the low countries, Belgium and Holland have released 7 whiskies until now varying between 3 and 10 yo and surprisingly very tastefull,still young but a great potential if the distilleries have time and money to have it matured some longer.
Distilleries in Germany are on the rise too had some samples that were promising,singlr grain,rye,single malt and even a bourbon type.
World peace trough whisky(one dram at the time:grin: ).
Eric.

Glen Mhor
07-15-2008, 11:43
Hello Mier!

Lots of water has past through the canals of Netherlands since the last time i was here. Great to hear from you. I have good news for you. Remember we were talking about whiskey tasting if i came to the Netherlands. I said i Would bring a bottle of Red breast 12 year old if i did get over there. GOOD news ...I bought 2 bottles of Redbreast 15 year old the other day so when i am coming over ( might be a few month until then) to the Netherlands i garantie that i will bring one bottle of the 15 year old Readbreast with me, for you and me/and my girlfriend to enjoy.

Hope you do not mind? :slappin:

Glen Mhor

CorvallisCracker
07-15-2008, 12:02
Redbreast 15 year old the other day so when i am coming over ( might be a few month until then) to the Netherlands i garantie that i will bring one bottle of the 15 year old Readbreast with me, for you and me/and my girlfriend to enjoy.

One of my personal Holy Grails.

You three enjoy that now, y'hear!

Gillman
07-15-2008, 12:12
I always wanted to try that too. I find the 12 good but it has a fairly pronounced waxy-like taste that must be acquired, I think. I feel a few more years in barrel might modify the taste just that little extra to make the palate more appealing.

Glen Mhor
07-15-2008, 12:29
Hello Corvalliscracker!

I f you are in the neighborhood when we go to the Netherlands, then you are more than welcome to join us for a quick swigg of the Holy whiskey Grail.... :cool: but it is a long way to go for you. Oregon USA ?

Here is the Mackmyra Preludium 06 i have have in my collection. It is suppose to be just like the other one (03) but this one have a toffe vanilla nose on it aswell. Enjoy the photos. Mier might have the tasting notes for this one?

Glen Mhor

Glen Mhor
07-15-2008, 12:45
Hello Gillman !

I Might make the wrong assumption here..But i think the 12 year old you tasted would have been the 12 year old Readbreast bottled in the 1970-80. that whiskey was stored in old sherry casks that had past their sell by date and the result was a very oily waxy taste....however they retail now at around 500 dollar a bottle (300 Euro) and is a great piece of whiskey history. I have tasted it....it was not my cup of tea! (I have a photo of it here in this thread in an earlier post)
:pope:i think all of them Readbreast are Holy Grails

The 12 year old that is now bottled and sell at 50 Euro a bottle is not waxy in comparison to the 1970 bottle, and i have many times enjoyed one shot to many..lol . imo... But taste is different so i might be talking out of my hat.
:grin:

Glen Mhor

AVB
07-16-2008, 19:55
The Glenlivet Vintage 1972, bottled in 1998

Glen Mhor
07-17-2008, 01:25
AVB !

You are one special dude with special "gems" popping out of your sleeve like a magician pulling rabbits out of his hat. How do you do that? where did you buy that Glenlivet Vintage 1972, bottled in 1998 and how much did it set you back to buy. Am i right or is the bottle a 20 cl bottle or is my eyes getting old and cloudy so i can not see properly.

Have you tasted it? is the bottle still intact....when is the party? :cool:
Give us a bit of history behind your bottle.

i just got a new whiskey of my girlfriend. She gave me a bottle of Yamazaki single malt. Not at all as fancy as the Glenlivet....but it is welcome in to the collection...it might end up on the drinking shelf . :skep:

Nice seeing you again and it is nice to be back with like minded people again.

Glen Mhor

AVB
07-17-2008, 05:32
The 1972 is one of 5 bottles that came in a set that was released in 1998. The others were the '67,'68,'69 &'70 versions. The cost back then was about $170 for the box of 5 20CL bottles. Now you'd be lucky to find a set for $600. This one is still sealed.

drrich1965
07-17-2008, 14:22
The current single malt intventory, unopened bottles.

Ardbeg 12yo 1992 (50%, Old Malt Cask)1Ardbeg 1990 8YO (46%, Murray McDavid)1Ardbeg 16yo Airigh Nam Beist (46%, OB)1Ardbeg Uigeadail (54.2%, OB, bottled 2004) X1Ardbeg 10yo (43%, OB, 2005) X3Bowmore 17yo (43%, OB, 2006)1Brora 1981 21yo(46%, Signatory, Cask 1586, Bottled 2003)1Bruichladdich 10yo, (46%, OB, 2006, with "Free Glass" in canister)1Bruichladdich 20yo "Flirtation" (46%, 0B) X1Caol Ila 8yo (58.1%, G &M, 1999/2005, Binny's exclusive)1Caol Ila 12yo (43%,OB, circa 2005)1Glenfarclas 12 yo, Gift box, 2006, prior label)1Glenlivet 12yo (43%, OB, 2006)1Glenfiddich 21 Gran Reserva Havana Rum Finish (40%, OB, circa 2006, not US version)1Glenfiddich 21 Havana Reserve Rum Finish (40%, OB, 2003)1Glenfiddich Pure Malt (40, OB, 1.25 Liter, Duty Free, 1980s)1Highland Park 18yo (43%, OB, circa 2006, old bottle)1Highland Park 1977 Bicentenary (46%, OB)1Highland Park 25yo (48.1%, OB, 2007)1Lagavulin 12 y/o Special Release 2004 (58.2% OB)1Lagavulin 16 (43%, bottled circa 1993, White horse)1Laphroaig 1999 (58%, Signatory Vintage, Cask Strength, 03/25/1999-08/23/2006, Cask 06/643/1)1Laphroaig Quarter Cask (48%, OB, circa 2005)1Laphroaig 30yo (43%, OB)1Linlithgow 1975 28yo (45%, Blackadder) X2Linlithgow 1975 24yo (49.7%, Signatory Vintage)1Port Ellen Vintage 13yo Distilled 1982 (43%, Hart Brothers) X3Port Ellen Vintage 1979 (43%, Signatory, Butt 5537, Bottled 2002)1Talisker 10yo (45.8%, 2004 Map Box)1Talisker Double Matured 1992 (45.8%, OB, Bottled 2005)1Talisker 175 Anniversary Malt (45.8%,OB, 2005)1

tango-papa
07-17-2008, 16:54
The 1972 is one of 5 bottles that came in a set that was released in 1998. The others were the '67,'68,'69 &'70 versions. The cost back then was about $170 for the box of 5 20CL bottles. Now you'd be lucky to find a set for $600. This one is still sealed.

I know the location of a full size (750) bottling of the 1969 in absolutely pristine condition (with the wooden box and brass plate on the box still has the protective plastic on it). I'm sure it's not cheap, but it's sitting in a locked glass case with no exposure to sunlight and there for the taking.

~tp

AVB
07-17-2008, 17:32
OK, I'll bite. How much?

Glen Mhor
07-17-2008, 18:12
YEP!

I swallowed the hook with worm and all! lol
Give it to us......how much....i speak to the bank tomorrow..

Glen Mhor

Getting New " Gems" added to my collection on saturday.
will of course keep you updated. :cool:

Glen Mhor
07-17-2008, 18:19
AVB!

Thank you for your reply to my question. I always like information about individual bottles. Much to learn out in cyberspace.

Glen Mhor that bottle of yours is an attractive buy..imo

AVB
07-17-2008, 19:06
I've always liked Green Spot Irish much more then any of the Redbreasts I've had. Odd since Mitchell & Son buys bulk from ReadBreast and then stores it themselves. Whatever they are doing they are doing right though. My grail for Irish is the Bushmills Millennium Malt of which I ration quite judiciously. I know I'll never replace it but I want to make it last as long as I can.

tango-papa
07-18-2008, 08:33
AVB & Glen Mhor,

I wasn't attempting to 'hook' anyone with my posting about the 1969, simply putting the info out there. As I said, I'm sure it's not cheap, but it's sitting in a locked glass case with no exposure to sunlight and there for the taking. The bottle is in a very old 'dusty' shop where I've made a few purchases. However, I've learned the hard way NOT to draw attention to "dusty's" by asking shopkeepers the prices on known valuable bottles unless I'm prepared to make the purchase right then and there. As I'm sure has been experienced by all, if you draw attention to an old-stock, dusty bottle, the price can certainly go up quickly, if not on the spot.

I haven't been dusty hunting in quite some time, but would be happy to visit the shop again in the next week or so. From my notes, there should be a few nice bottles I can pick up and also inquire about the Glenlivet 1969 (I'm assuming it's still there...) on your behalf if you'd like.

Please let me know.

~tp

mier
07-18-2008, 08:54
Hello Mier!

Lots of water has past through the canals of Netherlands since the last time i was here. Great to hear from you. I have good news for you. Remember we were talking about whiskey tasting if i came to the Netherlands. I said i Would bring a bottle of Red breast 12 year old if i did get over there. GOOD news ...I bought 2 bottles of Redbreast 15 year old the other day so when i am coming over ( might be a few month until then) to the Netherlands i garantie that i will bring one bottle of the 15 year old Readbreast with me, for you and me/and my girlfriend to enjoy.

Hope you do not mind? :slappin:

Glen Mhor

Glen Mhor look at this site www.whiskyfestival.nl (http://www.whiskyfestival.nl) it is november and i can tell you it is worth the money.Perhaps you can still order tickets.And off course your girlfriend is welcome too,perhaps she can convert my wife...?
Eric.

Glen Mhor
07-18-2008, 17:10
Mier ! :cool:

Just so you do not think i am joking, im supplying Photographic evidence of our bottle below. The one to the right is the one we will drink....the other ones are for my collection.
Also, my girlfriend do not share my passion for whiskey, so i think you and me HAS TO finish that bottle between us when we meet..the girls can watch, if they do not like this whiskey ..lol...I am sure both of them drink wine...:rolleyes:

I would like to go to that festival....I do not have a clue what it is saying on that website you gave me, but it is whiskey orientated. I do not read dutch...lol

Glen Mhor :grin:

Glen Mhor
07-18-2008, 17:15
Mier!

photo! sorry :slappin:

Glen Mhor
07-18-2008, 22:23
Mier ! here it is.....

Pc trouble and the lack of understanding is a wonderful combination.
Like i said, the right side bottle is ours when i come to the Netherlands.

Have a good one!

Glen Mhor

Glen Mhor
07-19-2008, 12:50
Hello Everyone !

Today i got myself a bottle of GREEENORE 15 year old Single Grain Whiskey. Being a single grain whiskey it is light and goes down to quick on a sunny day in the back garden. However It is a worthy bottle to keep in my collection as it is an good quality Irish whiskey and a (semi) limited edition of 5000 bottles.

This is the tasting notes from this bottle:

Nose: Its soft sweet corn with a hint of vanilla, honey and Oak

Tasting: Melt in the mouth richness,silky smooth honey start combining with fresh almonds and spices, a hint of barley for good measure.

Finish: warm honey taste lingers in the mouth with a dry finish.

I have finished off about 5 bottles of the 8 year old GREENORE last summer. they are great on summer party's and BBQ's..

But it is not a malt whiskey! and i am still alive after drinking it.:slappin:

mier
07-20-2008, 15:05
Mier !

I would like to go to that festival....I do not have a clue what it is saying on that website you gave me, but it is whiskey orientated. I do not read dutch...lol

Sorry Glen Mhor they used to have a section in American too but they seem to have removed it.It is the website from Whisky live Leiden,it is held in a church in my hometown and it is big in that way that the distillers themselves come to here also a lot of writers you can see and talk to.I can recommand it,possibly the only time you can drink something else than wine:icon_pidu: there.
Eric.

AVB
07-20-2008, 15:36
Yesterday I got one of the gems of my collection. The nice part is that it was totally unexpected, I never thought I've get a bottle under number 50 since they were released in May and I didn't get mine until July.

1976 Balvenie Vintage Cask, Bottle #2.

Glen Mhor
07-21-2008, 14:18
Bottle number 2 ! :bigeyes:

I think the closest to number one i have ever come is number 28 of any limited edition or single cask....IT IS SO UNFAIR...LOL :slappin:

You deserve it! well done .....it must have drained your economy a fair bit. how much ?

Glen Mhor

AVB
07-21-2008, 14:37
The list price is 400 but I didn't pay that much.

Glen Mhor
07-22-2008, 15:03
AND NOW TIME FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT !

This is not a whiskey ....but it is in my collection nevertheless. I have Got a Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum (Black seal Rum, Bermuda Blend). This is bottle 6 of 2198....AVB, I said i did not have anything close to bottle number 2,,,,but now i do!..lol. I bought it yesterday. I would love drinking this one, but knowing me, i will not!

It won the San Francisco WORLD spirits Competition in 2005 Double Gold. maybe i should just drink it.

Glen Mhor

AVB
07-26-2008, 22:05
One is gone, one is open and one is stashed away.

Glen Mhor
07-28-2008, 11:37
one is open! and one is "Stashed" away......where did you hide it....i want it..lol.. Can you mail me a shot? ha ha... dip the stamp in the whiskey and i lick it when i get the post card..:slappin:

We are to alike you and me...i have now started to buy them in three's. I have 3 redbreast 15 year old...one if for me and Mier whenever i will get to Holland/Netherlands. soooooon i hope..

AVB
07-28-2008, 12:56
I can't afford to buy stuff in threes usually but the deal I got on the Laphroaig was too good to pass up. I picked up 9 at $190 each (after taxes!) a few years ago. Sold 6 to my friends at cost and kept the remaining three.

We are to alike you and me...i have now started to buy them in three's.

Glen Mhor
07-30-2008, 02:21
AVB...

You bought 9 bottles of Laphroaig at 190 dollar "a pop" ? :cool:
that adds up to a load of money to pay out in one go..wow. you must have been in a good position at the time you bought them Laphroaig puppies. May times like that return. we deserve it.

Glen Mhor :bowdown:

AVB
07-30-2008, 10:37
Credit cards are wonderful sometimes. I knew I could turn them over before the bill was due so it was just a matter of timing and not cash so much.

AVB
08-03-2008, 21:03
Since I collect Balvenie I'll continue with this one. The Balvenie Rose, available only at the distillery after taking the tour. Only 426 bottled.

LeoDLion
08-04-2008, 06:11
Heres my modest collection.

AVB
08-04-2008, 06:17
Ahh, I'd like to get my hands on that Broria Rare Malt so I could compare it to the Signatory 22 I have.

Glen Mhor
09-24-2008, 00:37
I went the local whiskey shop for the Auchentoshan 16 year old triple distilled limited edition, matured in bourboun casks. That in it self should have been enough, and it should have satisfied my semi addiction to whiskey for at least this month. WRONG....
So i bought the 10 year old aswell, Plus the 18 year old sherry cask limited edition. It was a good job the shop did not have a wider stock selection because i would have bought them to.:grin:
below is a photo of the 16 year old

Auchentoshan (bowmore) is currently redesigning their labels and bottles , plus they are changing their product line, so i thought it would be a good time to buy at least one of the old stock with old traditional designed labels before they go all trendy on us.

Have a good day my fellow collectors

AVB
09-29-2008, 19:26
I was doing some trading the other day and got something a bit unusual for almost free. A 1968 liter bottle of Dewar's White label. Notice the 86.8 proof, current versions are 80 proof

http://www.sunband-designs.com/AVB/Drinks/Scotch/Dewars%201968%20date.JPG
http://www.sunband-designs.com/AVB/Drinks/Scotch/Dewars%201968.JPG