PDA

View Full Version : seelbach dream tasting?

jbarlycorn
09-08-2007, 15:25
Hello,
It has long been my intention to have a once in a lifetime tasting. As a Cincinnati resident, the Old Seelbach Bar is my choice for this experience. Any advice would be appreciated. Tastes run to big firey spicy heavy on the rye as opposed to wheat, higher proof, ice water on the side (ro or better) big balloon snifters (is that uncool?) Generaly like little copper pot stills, malty tastes... Also any tips on conduct, tipping...got a room reserved. Any thing not to be missed at the lower 3 digets price range?
Thanks in advance,
Robert

barturtle
09-08-2007, 18:48
I must admit even being a Lville native, the Seelbach has not been on my list of bars to frequent...I was a groomsman at a wedding there, but at the rehearsal we went to the bar and bought martinis, dry with a twist, as is my modus operandi. The drinks were splendid, but don't recall the bourbon list.

bluesbassdad
09-08-2007, 23:07
I suppose it would be gauche to provide a bourbon list on a website. This (http://www.seelbachhilton.com/hoteldining_theoakroom.html)is as close as I found.

However, there could be a bourbon list available at the bar. A letter to the catering manager might get you a copy.

Slide number four in the photo gallery is a picture of the bar. The array of bottles visible in the background is less than impressive. The only bourbon label I can make out is Knob Creek. Its prominent position suggests there may be slimmer pickings than one might imagine.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

ILLfarmboy
09-09-2007, 00:14
I suppose it would be gauche to provide a bourbon list on a website....

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

For the life of me I can't understand why. Perhaps liquor, unlike wine, is something that isn't talked about in polite company. I say that in jest, sort of anyway. But the lack of a "available spirits" lists on web sites and restaurant menus leaves me to wonder.

Being someone who likes bourbon as an accompaniment to steak or sometimes even prime rib (although a full bodied cab is in most cases a better choice with prime rib) It is doubly irritating.

If I intend on an evening out where I'm going to spend a large chunk of cash I like to know what is on the restaurant's bill of fair before choosing that restaurant. That is after all the purpose of visiting their web site.

sysrick
09-09-2007, 03:19
this is also on their web site:

Bourbon Menu

Max’s bar, which services The Oakroom, has distinguished itself as the Bourbon bar of Kentucky. Max’s bar lead by Mixologist Janet South has over 40 Bourbons to chose from. If you cannot decide on just one, let Janet put together her Bourbon tasting for you.

cowdery
09-09-2007, 05:16
I like the Seelbach, hotel and bar. By "bar" I mean the Old Seelbach Bar on the first floor. I don't know from Max's Bar, but the Oakroom restaurant is upstairs (and very good). The Old Seelbach Bar has a good selection, just about anything you could ask for.

However, they won't be able to help you with "little copper pot stills, malty tastes," as there is no such thing in the American whiskey world. On the other hand, prices are moderate and although the room is very elegant, it's not stuffy or formal. Casual dress is no problem. Tipping is no different than it is anywhere. A "normal" bar tip is a dollar per drink.

Also good and nearby is the Maker's Mark bar, which also has a nice atmosphere and a great selection, not limited to Maker's Mark. While that Fourth Street Live area is okay, I recommend walking south to Main Street and taking in the river view. The bar at 21c has a terrific bourbon selection too. Of course, virtually every bar in Louisville has a better bourbon selection than just about any bar outside of Kentucky.

jbarlycorn
09-09-2007, 07:41
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.
I particularly appreciated the important clue about "malty pot still" being nonsense without calling me an idiot. I confess, without meaning to digress off topic, to more experience with the Irish. Much better for me to be stupid here than in person.
I came up with the Seelbach idea based on some back issue of Esquire magazine "best of" piece
As far as the tip question, I was wondering about the tasting thing rating more than simply pouring drinks.
I will study the other threads before asking more questions.
And thanks again, Robert

barturtle
09-09-2007, 08:09
The Seelbach Bar totally is a great place to get a drink, it just might not be the place to get your hands on the widest selection of bourbon in the world. Wonderful place to take friends, celebrate a promotion, just a damn nice place to live the good life. There is a lot of history there. The history of the place is why it makes lists like Esquires'.

And don't be afraid to ask questions. That's what forums are for.

jburlowski
09-09-2007, 16:30
I like the Seelbach, hotel and bar. By "bar" I mean the Old Seelbach Bar on the first ...

On the other hand, prices are moderate and although the room is very elegant, it's not stuffy or formal. Casual dress is no problem.

I'm with you here, Chuck. in addition to a great selection and a very knowledgable bar staff, The Seelbach just "feels right".

cowdery
09-09-2007, 21:35
About the only bar in Louisville that is more storied than the Seelbach is the billiard room bar at the Pendennis Club, but that's members-only. A drink at the Seelbach is essential for a whiskey lover visiting Louisville, but Bourbon's Bistro is a much better place to do a more-or-less formal tasting.

cousin it
09-11-2007, 06:28
Try walking two blocks South to the Brown Hotel. They have a fine collection of Bourbons ... and the scenery is easy on the eyes. There is a bartender there, Ellen, that will fix you up.

RedVette
09-13-2007, 18:22
I'm with you here, Chuck. in addition to a great selection and a very knowledgable bar staff, The Seelbach just "feels right".

Yep, I also agree. Makers Mark a half block away is cool and hip and trendy. The Seelbach is dark and cool and funky, and as the night turns late a jazz band kicks in with sax and vibes. The same band has been playing for the last 5 years that I have been staying there, and I'm sure they have been there longer than that.

I'm guessing the Seelbach has 60-70 Bourbons to choose from, it is where I first tasted George T Stagg, and Noah's Mill and Four Roses Single Barrell, all in the same night. The next day was somewhat foggy.

It is a fine place hang out.

jburlowski
09-14-2007, 14:53
Yep, I also agree. Makers Mark a half block away is cool and hip and trendy. The Seelbach is dark and cool and funky, and as the night turns late a jazz band kicks in with sax and vibes. The same band has been playing for the last 5 years that I have been staying there, and I'm sure they have been there longer than that.

I'm guessing the Seelbach has 60-70 Bourbons to choose from, it is where I first tasted George T Stagg, and Noah's Mill and Four Roses Single Barrell, all in the same night. The next day was somewhat foggy.

It is a fine place hang out.

MM is all you say it is... and a great place to try flights of bourbon. But somehow not a "comfortable" locale... perhaps too hip and trendy... perhaps I've gotten too old and settled in my ways.

When I say the Seelbach 'feels right', I mean it's dark enough, and lived in enough, and comfortable enough with itself, that you can sit there for an extended period of time with a good pour and all is right (at least for now) with the world.

barturtle
09-14-2007, 23:08
MM is all you say it is... and a great place to try flights of bourbon. But somehow not a "comfortable" locale... perhaps too hip and trendy... perhaps I've gotten too old and settled in my ways.

When I say the Seelbach 'feels right', I mean it's dark enough, and lived in enough, and comfortable enough with itself, that you can sit there for an extended period of time with a good pour and all is right (at least for now) with the world.

What you say is true...MM is a bit too trendy, which means it has too many people running around wearing too much smelly stuff to make tastings worthwhile...the Seelbach doesn't seem to have as much of a problem with this type of thing, also the noise of MM isn't conductive to tastings (you have to be able to think after all)

BourbonJoe
09-19-2007, 15:36
I guess next time down we will have to try the Seelbach again. The last time we were there you could still smoke cigars in some bars. Not in the Seelbach. I just lit a great cigar and was not too happy to put it out. Well, now you can't smoke in any bar so I guess we will go back to try out the "ambience" and probably high prices (Hilton).
Joe :usflag:

jbarlycorn
09-23-2007, 19:18
My wife and I just got home after finishing a great canoe camping vacation with our big evening at the Old Seelbach bar. Thanks to the bartenders, it exceeded our wildest expectations. The term "gonzo" comes to mind. We had no idea. Bourbon and Rye are the tits.
Pappy Van Winkle's 20 yo (if anyone feels that it may be just a wee bit past its prime, I will gladly help them get rid of it. I owe wheat an apology). As they were out of the younger high test, we started with the last of the Pappy rye, which held its own wih the older (2 decades and up, and much pricer) ones, imo. Wanted more but no dice. George T. Stagg, that wild and crazy Noah's mill... it was a friggin candy store. Way too much to process.
More research is necessary!
We had so much fun!
Thanks everyone for all the advice and encouragment,
Rob and Kat

cowdery
09-25-2007, 18:45
Any time a man can have fun with his wife, well, that's a very good thing.