PDA

View Full Version : Japan trip

RedVette
09-12-2007, 18:06
On Saturday I fly to China (Bourbon Wasteland) and then a week later I fly to Japan (Bourbon Promised Land). I plan on hitting the duty free at LAX to pick up some WT 12 yr old or other equally promising bottles on the way out of the country and then grabbing some stuff in Tokyo.

What should I get, and where would I have the best chance of finding something cool?????

mozilla
09-12-2007, 21:19
Rob,
Seems like I have seen quite a bit ot WT 12 here in town. Maybe the 14,15 or 16 would be something to look into? I hear Early Times has a KSBW or WT 8yr. I have not been in a duty free shop in some time and can't remember how good thier prices are.

luv2hunt
09-12-2007, 21:44
Wild Turkey Master Distillers Selection
Old Rip 12 yr old
Evan Williams 15 yr old
Four Roses Super Premium
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye--look for lawrenceburg bottlings
Hirsch 13 yr old rye--still can be found on the shelves
Four Roses Single Barrel Black Label
Four Roses Black Label
Wild Turkey Tribute (15yr)

No Chaser
09-12-2007, 23:06
Are there any good Japanese whiskeys? A little off-topic, but I've been wondering for some time if there's anything worth trying.

nor02lei
09-13-2007, 01:15
On Saturday I fly to China (Bourbon Wasteland) and then a week later I fly to Japan (Bourbon Promised Land). I plan on hitting the duty free at LAX to pick up some WT 12 yr old or other equally promising bottles on the way out of the country and then grabbing some stuff in Tokyo.

What should I get, and where would I have the best chance of finding something cool?????

Old St Nick winter rye

Leif

Hedmans Brorsa
09-13-2007, 02:32

Never heard of this one before. Is it a brand new item or do you possibly mean the 86 proof version, which indeed has a (albeit small) black label?

Rob, I have no idea what items that have been discontinued in recent years but if you can find I.W. Harper President´s reserve, go for it.

mozilla
09-13-2007, 06:52
Old Rip 12 yr old
Evan Williams 15 yr old
Four Roses Super Premium
Four Roses Black Label

Great suggestions, though FR Super Prem and Black label are not as good as our single barrel version or small batch, IMO.

RedVette
09-13-2007, 17:42
I have not been in a duty free shop in some time and can't remember how good thier prices are.

The prices vary from good to horrible, depending on the store. I posted in a different thread about some $70 Woodford I found in Europe, but I have also been able to get Rare Breed at $30 out the door in other shops. It is not the price but rather the unique expressions like WT Freedom that I am really after.

RedVette
09-13-2007, 17:49
Old Rip 12 yr old
Evan Williams 15 yr old
Four Roses Super Premium
Four Roses Black Label

Nice list, I would l love to find a stash of some of these, the Old St Nick as well.

Now I need to figure out how to tell my Japanese host that I need to go to a store in Tokyo that sells Bourbon, without having him go out and buy a bunch of stuff for me. Their honor code almost forbids them from letting me spend money in their country.

robbyvirus
09-13-2007, 22:27
Now I need to figure out how to tell my Japanese host that I need to go to a store in Tokyo that sells Bourbon, without having him go out and buy a bunch of stuff for me. Their honor code almost forbids them from letting me spend money in their country.

Tell him you want to find a store that sells bourbon because a friend asked you to find out what brands they have for sale in Japan and you want to make a list.

RedVette
09-14-2007, 16:39
Tell him you want to find a store that sells bourbon because a friend asked you to find out what brands they have for sale in Japan and you want to make a list.

Ooooohhhh, I like that. Thanks.

barturtle
09-15-2007, 00:04

That is very nice...my thought was "I'm a collector, and I have to buy it myself or it doesn't count." I would think that even the most stubborn person could understand having rules for what counts and what doesn't would understand.

RedVette
09-15-2007, 12:15
DFS here in LA, 2 bottles of WT 12 year old for $36 ea. That ought to last me until I get to Japan. Be back in 2 weeks.

Virus_Of_Life
09-15-2007, 12:55
DFS here in LA, 2 bottles of WT 12 year old for $36 ea. That ought to last me until I get to Japan. Be back in 2 weeks.

Rob, was there no Heritage left?

luv2hunt
09-15-2007, 18:05
If somebody travels where there's Heritage.....grab me one!! I don't have that one either!

Dawn

HighTower
09-16-2007, 03:52
If somebody travels where there's Heritage.....grab me one!! I don't have that one either!

Dawn
I'm still hunting that particular bird, and look what flew my way this morning....a good friend dropped this in to me.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/dickheadofthemonth/Heritage.jpg

I have a friend who may be able to get me some next week.
My mother is also going to Hawaii in December. Dawn, if I can get a spare I will send you one.

Cheers
Scott

nor02lei
09-16-2007, 08:52
There was a Heritage up on E-bay here in Europe a week ago. It went for + 200 euro. Very much for a current brand.

Leif

luv2hunt
09-16-2007, 18:59
Very Nice :) I'll let you know if someone else comes through to fill the empty space on my shelf :skep:

Dawn

RedVette
09-22-2007, 06:47
Rob, was there no Heritage left?

Nope. The last special WT's I was able to grab at a DFS were in Sydney a couple years back. I am not sure what is happening in the world of Duty Free sales, but the selections are getting pretty thin.

I gave away my last bottle of Heritage as a house warming gift, thinking that A) it was a cool gift (it was) and B) that I could easily replace it (not the case).

Tomorrow we go dusty bottle hunting in downtown Tokyo.

Edward_call_me_Ed
09-22-2007, 14:36
Tomorrow we go dusty bottle hunting in downtown Tokyo.

Have a good hunt! I don't have any specific advice on what to look for or where to go as I live in Sapporo and don't know Tokyo well at all, but if you find a good store you are sure to find some good bourbon.

Someone asked if Japanese whisky is good, and I can answer that, yes, Japan makes world class whisky. It is more like scotch than anything made in America. There have been some threads on Japanese whisky in the Forign Whiskey section of the forum.

Ed

Nebraska
09-23-2007, 08:08
Ed!

I'd been thinking alot about you lately, especially when this thread popped up. I'll PM you in a day or two. Good to know you're still alive and kicking!

RedVette
09-24-2007, 03:47
Things have not gone as planned, it is a holiday here and traffic is insane. Work has now fully interfered with pleasure. I did manage to find an interesting bottle today, but it was not what I was hoping for. Oh well, tomorrow is another day, and it is our last day over here as well.

TBoner
09-24-2007, 05:30
Good-looking bottle. I have an Old Charter 10 from the UD days in an identical decanter/bottle. Bottled in 197?, I believe. I think that's a pretty nice find.

RedVette
09-26-2007, 18:22
Not all stories have a happy ending.

After much planning and anticipation, I have arrived home with a 12 yr old Turkey, the aforementioned I. W. Harper and a pretty nice Blue bottle of Japanese Sake. That is all.

When typhoon Wipha hit Shanghai last week it set into motion a series of changes in our plans that ultimately meant I came home nearly empty handed. To make matters worse, at the duty free shop in Narita I found the same bottle of Harper for $10 less than I paid for it in Yokohama, making it both less valuable and less special all at the same time.

And I ended up with an eye infection to boot. Anybody feeling sorry for me yet? :)

Oh well, that leaves something for me to do the next time I head to the far east.

Luna56
09-28-2007, 22:36
Wow, sounds like your trip to Japan was a bit chaotic to say the least. I'm going there in late November for a week or so and am hoping to bring back some cool stuff. I usually get a nice bottle of sho-chu or some great sake but this time I'm gunning for some Four Roses, either the Single Barrel 100 or 90 proof. Didja see any in the duty free at Narita? I got a couple bottles of the SB 100 while in Kentucky earlier this month and am completely bowled over by this beautiful, beautiful whiskey. Hoping I can find a bottle or three for less than the cost of driving to Kentucky from New Hampshire to buy 'em.
Hope you feel better soon.
Domo,
luna56

RedVette
09-29-2007, 06:48
this time I'm gunning for some Four Roses, either the Single Barrel 100 or 90 proof. Didja see any in the duty free at Narita?

Nope. There was an extremely limited supply of bourbon at Narita, at least in the Star Alliance part of the terminal, which is about half the airport. With the exception of the 12 year old Harper, there was nothing I couldn't get here in Oklahoma, and the prices were about the same as well.

I did manage to have a couple of drinks of Four Roses Platinum, on the 70th floor of the Landmark Tower in Yokohama. It was a fantastic pour with lots of flowers and fruit as far as I could tell. Smoking is a national sport in Japan, and they were up to Olympic form in this bar that night. I could say that the Four Roses had a hint of tobacco and leather, but it was probably the air that gave me that impression.

Have a good trip, watch out for the traffic.

Luna56
10-02-2007, 00:17
Looks like I'll have to search elsewhere for some FRSB, maybe in one of those great subterranean markets below the Tokyo train stations.
I love those hotel bars in Japan that overlook the city, very stylish. Paying the equivilant of forty bucks for a tiny appetizer plate makes one feel quite cosmopolitan as well.
Cheers!

drli
10-03-2007, 19:59
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Suntory_Whisky_Display.PNGI found the black label 4 roses to be very close to the yellow Label 4 roses... for 1/2 the price... and the yellow label included a free Ridel O looking glass with acid etched flowers. Still have the glass and remember the bourbon.... I was unable to taste the higher-level 4 roses bourbons, but found Suntory product to be quite good... especially the black label 43% (the finest old whisky). Like the pick above.... but I was unable to find a pic of the black label on the web. The exchanges on this is like $8.... and came the free glass.... which the wife broke in less then a month after returning to america. I was also able to get a very rare old bottle that I didnt like as much (matured in wood at Yamazaki neer Kyoto). I have a pic of both Suntory bottles if anyone wants to see, but dont know how to post here.

robbyvirus
10-10-2007, 23:49
Well, my wife is heading to Japan next weekend for a weeklong business trip, and I've decided to tag along as a chaperone. Never having been abroad in the past 25 years, I have a rather stupid question: what's the deal with duty free liquor? Do I buy it at the airport in Japan before the return flight? How many bottles can I bring back? And if I find some bourbon in Tokyo (where we'll be for the week) can I bring that back in my suitcase as well? How many bottles? Do I have to pay duty on those bottles? I'd appreciate people's wisdom on these issues!

barturtle
10-11-2007, 07:24
Well, my wife is heading to Japan next weekend for a weeklong business trip, and I've decided to tag along as a chaperone. Never having been abroad in the past 25 years, I have a rather stupid question: what's the deal with duty free liquor? Do I buy it at the airport in Japan before the return flight? How many bottles can I bring back? And if I find some bourbon in Tokyo (where we'll be for the week) can I bring that back in my suitcase as well? How many bottles? Do I have to pay duty on those bottles? I'd appreciate people's wisdom on these issues!

First, don't forget to check duty free on your way out of the US, just in case you find something there, and then check duty free in Japan on your way back. You can only shop duty free when leaving the country, so you can't hit duty free upon arrival.

Yes you can bring back liquor you buy in a store in Tokyo.

Everything needs to be in a checked bag these days, due to the "no liquids" policy that's in effect. Make sure to look up the current policy on this, will save you time and frustration at the gate.

Federal regs limit alcohol on planes above 25%(IIRC, anyway liquor, there is no limit on wine/beer) to 5 liters, that's 6 750ml or 7 700ml.

Yes you are supposed to report what you bring back and pay duty, sometimes the duty guy won't bother, but better to be prepared to pay it than to not report it and caught.

doubleblank
10-11-2007, 09:34
There are limits for returning with "duty free" items but no practical limits if you're willing to pay the duty. The duty isn't much (in relation to the whiskey's value) and the customs officer usually won't bother collecting duties less than $X ($X has been around $50 in my recent experience). IOW, they don't want to do all the paperwork unless the amount to be collected is material.

Each airport can have it's own quirky rules regarding what is allowed on the airplane in one's possession. I don't know Narita, but currently you can have your duty free items purchased in the US in your possession on the departing plane. The problems occur if you have a connecting flight after clearing security/customs&immigration.......you can't carry them onto the next flight. Best bet is to be prepared to pack them into your checked baggage. I usually pack a little bubble wrap and tape for just that purpose.

Good luck finding something. And go see Koji's bar in Kawasaki (a Tokyo suburb).

Randy

ThomasH
10-11-2007, 10:48
I sometimes have a few empty whiskey boxes or canisters in my luggage. I also helps if you are able to buy bottles that have boxes. They provide a little extra protection in the luggage!

Thomas

RedVette
10-11-2007, 16:01
I don't know Narita, but currently you can have your duty free items purchased in the US in your possession on the departing plane. The problems occur if you have a connecting flight after clearing security/customs&immigration.......you can't carry them onto the next flight.

Randy

At LAX, they do a seal-a-meal thing with the clear bag so that you cannot tamper with it, along with a giant label saying "Do not open until you reach your final destination" I of course opened it up on the plane, not reading the label. When we hit Seoul and changed planes a miffed security agent, attacked the bag with a stapler, attempting to resecure it against further tampering. I of course just stood there with a "too stupid to breed" look on my face, and they let me pass through the inspection.

jspero
10-14-2007, 05:35
I don't know Narita, but currently you can have your duty free items purchased in the US in your possession on the departing plane. The problems occur if you have a connecting flight after clearing security/customs&immigration.......you can't carry them onto the next flight. Best bet is to be prepared to pack them into your checked baggage. I usually pack a little bubble wrap and tape for just that purpose.

Randy

If you buy something in the airport after security at Narita, you carry it on with you. They do not put it in the no-tamper bag, you just put it in your carry-on. If you are changing planes in the US, you are going to have to put it in your checked bag when you change planes. Anything you purchase in Japan outside of the airport has to go in your checked bags.

Good idea about the tape and bubble wrap. I always brought a box and a large zip lock bag for each bottle. I packed the box with clothes on the way over to make sure it fit in my suitcase and put the clothes from the box in my carry-on on the way back. I just stuffed my dirty socks around the bottles instead of bubble wrap. :)

I mentioned this to a few folks through PM - There is a store in the Shimbashi district (next to Ginza) that has a pretty good selection of bourbon and good prices. Some of the selection includes Olde St. Nick, FR (regular, SB, and SP), EW 12 and 15. I did not see any WT products there. It is located at Shimbashi Chome-2 and is called Shinonoya. I recommend going there if you get a chance. The bourbon is in the back to the right.

Jay

robbyvirus
10-23-2007, 03:19
I mentioned this to a few folks through PM - There is a store in the Shimbashi district (next to Ginza) that has a pretty good selection of bourbon and good prices. Some of the selection includes Olde St. Nick, FR (regular, SB, and SP), EW 12 and 15. I did not see any WT products there. It is located at Shimbashi Chome-2 and is called Shinonoya. I recommend going there if you get a chance. The bourbon is in the back to the right.

Jay

Greetings from Tokyo! It's my second day here, and I'm somewhat jet-lagged, but that didn't stop me from going hunting! My hotel is actually about 12 blocks away from the Shinonoya store (see above) and so I took a trip over there for a look. It took me a looong time to find the store, mainly because the streets in Tokyo are not laid out in a grid form, like most American cities. Still, I finally found it, and all I can say is "Wow"! This store is a bourbon hunter's paradise. Thanks for the tip, Jay!! They had about 40 different bourbons. Many of them were the same as could be found in the US: Old Grand Dad 114, Wild Turkey 8yo, Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Bourbon DeLuxe (What the heck is THAT doing here??), etc. Then there were the "exotic" bourbons previously mentioned or alluded to in the thread: Four Roses Super Premium, two types of Four Roses Single Barrel (one like in the US, one in a different bottle), Olde St. Nick Winter Rye, Olde St. Nick Summer Rye, Blanton's Single Barrel (several different types, including a Barrel Proof), Wild Turkey 12 yo, Evan Williams 15 yo. There were some unexpected finds, such as Willett's Bourbon, Johnny Drum 12 and 15 yo, and a whole slew of bourbons I'd never heard of, like Cock of the Walk (12 and 15 yo). Most of these seemed mid-range in price. The craziest find, though, were three bottles of tax-stamped Old GrandDad BIB. A label on the tag on the shelf next to them said "From 1972". The cost: about $250/bottle. Ah well...these Japanese know the value of a dusty bottle. So I bought bottles of Four Roses Super Premium and the Olde St. Nick Winter Rye. I probably have room for one more bottle in my luggage. Any thoughts on what that should be? When I return, I may bring my camera and take some shots of all the "unknown" bourbons.

doubleblank
10-23-2007, 08:02
Robby, I think I've tasted each of the bottles you have mentioned. If you want an opinion....well, here's mine.

I think the Evan Williams 15yo is the best whiskey I have ever tasted from HH. There is none of the "mentholyptus" that can be a little overpowering in some of "their" whiskey (many are bottled by others). And it usually isn't too expensive.

The Straight From The Barrel Blanton's is interesting too. Someone here got a bad bottle in the past and didn't like it, but I've always enjoyed this bottling.

Those Old St Nicks are in cool bottles, but the whiskey never motivated me to buy some.

Randy

luv2hunt
10-23-2007, 10:58
I'm the one that got the "off" Blantons. The Blantons Gold is a favorite :) BUT....Blantons is a bit harder to pack in a suitcase than the other choices. Just my two cents ;);)

Dawn

HighTower
10-23-2007, 15:03
I'm the one that got the "off" Blantons. The Blantons Gold is a favorite :) BUT....Blantons is a bit harder to pack in a suitcase than the other choices. Just my two cents ;);)

Dawn
I also love the Blanton's Gold, but I'm with Dawn, I would be very careful about putting one in a suitcase. Mine get sent here from Melbourne via courier, and on 3 occasions the wax seals have split and the bourbon has leaked.

Scott

Luna56
10-23-2007, 22:19
Hey, robbyvirus, what kind of prices were you seeing for the Four Roses? Not sure if I'll be in Ginza but it's a short train ride from Shinagawa I believe. I'm hoping to score a little FR when I'm there next month.
Hope you're enjoying Japan as much as I do. Any place that sells beer out of vending machines on the street is ok with me.
Cheers!

robbyvirus
10-24-2007, 03:05
Hey, robbyvirus, what kind of prices were you seeing for the Four Roses? Not sure if I'll be in Ginza but it's a short train ride from Shinagawa I believe. I'm hoping to score a little FR when I'm there next month.
Hope you're enjoying Japan as much as I do. Any place that sells beer out of vending machines on the street is ok with me.
Cheers!

I'm not sure where Shinagawa is, but the store mentioned in the posts above is a few blocks from the Shinbashi train station. The Four Roses Super Premium was about 6000 yen (somewhere around $50). It was the most expensive Four Roses they had...pricier than the single barrel, although I can't remember the price of that. I'm looking forward to comparing it to the single barrel. Too bad I have to wait until I get home to open it.

nor02lei
10-24-2007, 03:27
Those Old St Nicks are in cool bottles, but the whiskey never motivated me to buy some.

Randy

Well we all got different plates Randy. Personally I consider Old St Nick winter rye as one of the best whiskeys I have ever had, with a perfect mix of spice and fruit.

Leif

robbyvirus
10-24-2007, 03:31
I was walking in the Shinjuku area of Tokyo today, when I passed by a bar that had a drink menu in the window. They listed 7 "American Whiskeys" that they had for sale, for 800 yen/glass (about $7). It was such an unusual selection, that I had to write it down. The whiskeys they were serving were:

Henry McKenna
Old Crow
Heaven Hill
Ancient Age 10 years
Virgin 7 years
Outlaw 8 years
Jim Beam Rye

Too bad it was only 2pm, otherwise I would have been tempted to try a glass of Outlaw.

Luna56
10-24-2007, 21:51
I'm not sure where Shinagawa is, but the store mentioned in the posts above is a few blocks from the Shinbashi train station. The Four Roses Super Premium was about 6000 yen (somewhere around $50). It was the most expensive Four Roses they had...pricier than the single barrel, although I can't remember the price of that. I'm looking forward to comparing it to the single barrel. Too bad I have to wait until I get home to open it.

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to snooping around on my day off over there. Hope I get to try some of the Super Premium.
Campai!

bpt
10-24-2007, 23:14
Hey Robbyvirus,
Keep in mind that 2pm Tokyo time is 12 Midnight here in Texas..........
Just trying to help.

robbyvirus
10-28-2007, 13:24
Well, I arrived back in San Francisco this morning, and all my bourbon has made it back successfully from Japan. I ended up bringing home five bottles in all...the aforementioned Four Roses Super Premium and St. Nick's Winter Rye, plus a bottle of the straight-from-the-barrel Blantons. These I all bought at the Shinanoya store in Ginza. At the airport, I picked up bottles of Harpers 12 year old (in a really swanky bottle!) and Wild Turkey 12 yo. Since I was flying direct to SF it was no problem carrying these on. They also gave me a free Wild Turkey laptop bag with the 12 yo purchase...the bag is really nice too. As for the other three bottles, I wrapped them in bubble wrap, then wrapped dirty clothes around them. For the Blanton's bottle, I wrapped a shirt around the top and sealed it all up with packing tape. Everything came though OK, with no damage or leaking. Whew. I've attached pictures of my loot.

Also, as an aside, I highly recommend visiting Tokyo. It's a great and fascinating city, with lots of great shopping, sightseeing, and restaurants. Plus the people are incredibly friendly and helpful. We speak no Japanese whatsoever and we had no problems getting around.

robbyvirus
10-28-2007, 13:26
One thing I forgot to mention...I declared all five bottles on my customs form, but they just waved me through without inspecting my bags or asking about the whiskey, so I didn't have to pay any duty.

bluesbassdad
10-28-2007, 13:57
I'm not a traveler, so I'm only guessing here.

The duty they could have collected is probably not worth the effort.

Then by being truthful you spoiled any fun they might have had by making you sweat. :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Hedmans Brorsa
10-28-2007, 14:49
You´re in for a treat, Robby!

Well, I haven´t had the winter rye but Leif appears to swear by it, so...

doubleblank
10-28-2007, 16:12
There are limits for returning with "duty free" items but no practical limits if you're willing to pay the duty. The duty isn't much (in relation to the whiskey's value) and the customs officer usually won't bother collecting duties less than $X ($X has been around $50 in my recent experience). IOW, they don't want to do all the paperwork unless the amount to be collected is material.

Randy

Not paying any duty is the norm in my experience. And not just with alcohol.

Randy

robbyvirus
10-28-2007, 22:54
When I was at the Shinanoya liquor store in Japan, I took some shots of some of the bourbons on the shelves that I didn't have room for in my luggage. I've attached the pictures here. I love the look of some of these labels! Many of these are Heaven Hill bourbons, of various proofs. The older Kentucky Vintage looked interesting. I was able to have a sip of the Evan Williams 23 year old in a bar (for about $30 a shot). It was very smooth, and didn't really remind me of the taste of the Evan Williams single barrel we get in the states.

camduncan
10-29-2007, 00:39
Damm, I wish I'd found that kind of selection when I was in Japan a couple of years ago :smiley_acbt:

Nice selection and very nice haul Robby.

HighTower
10-29-2007, 02:25
Some nice pics there Robby, and a nice stash you returned with!

Do you recall how much they were asking for the EW23??

Scott

robbyvirus
10-29-2007, 11:40
Some nice pics there Robby, and a nice stash you returned with!

Do you recall how much they were asking for the EW23??

Scott

I don't remember exactly, but it was expensive enough so that I didn't consider purchasing it...probably north of $100.

OscarV
10-29-2007, 15:36
I think the way they have [from your pics] the distillery name in front of each bottle is a very good idea, I wish liquor stores here were as knowledgeable about bourbon.

Special Reserve
10-29-2007, 18:05
One thing I forgot to mention...I declared all five bottles on my customs form, but they just waved me through without inspecting my bags or asking about the whiskey, so I didn't have to pay any duty.

I'd estimate the duty to be between $12 and $15.
Good deal.

Attila
08-10-2008, 23:47
Shinonoya store

Are you sure its not Shinanoya? B/c if it is, then their Setagaya shop is bigger (apparently)

robbyvirus
08-11-2008, 00:40
Are you sure its not Shinanoya? B/c if it is, then their Setagaya shop is bigger (apparently)

Yes it was Shinanoya. And a bigger shop would be pretty amazing!

Attila
08-11-2008, 03:08
Yes it was Shinanoya. And a bigger shop would be pretty amazing!

I dropped by their Ginza shop today only to find it closed for rennovations. So, I took a walk over to the Shimbashi shop (15 minutes). Not too bad.

jinenjo
08-13-2008, 12:47
When I was at the Shinanoya liquor store in Japan, I took some shots of some of the bourbons on the shelves that I didn't have room for in my luggage. I've attached the pictures here.

Amazing selection. How I wish I was into American whiskey when I was in Japan 7 years ago...

In the Daniel Stewart shot, why am I seeing a bit of Old Fitz Prime? Is that being made by HH for export? If not, like the tax stripped OGD, it's interesting to see such dusty bottles--and at un-dusty prices!

Also, what's the provenance of the Old St. Nick?

Attila
10-08-2008, 03:39
Anyone travelling to Japan must find Tanakaya in Mejiro, they have the largest selection of bourbon by far.

spun_cookie
10-09-2008, 00:28
When I was at the Shinanoya liquor store in Japan, I took some shots of some of the bourbons on the shelves that I didn't have room for in my luggage. I've attached the pictures here. I love the look of some of these labels! Many of these are Heaven Hill bourbons, of various proofs. The older Kentucky Vintage looked interesting. I was able to have a sip of the Evan Williams 23 year old in a bar (for about $30 a shot). It was very smooth, and didn't really remind me of the taste of the Evan Williams single barrel we get in the states.

I know where that place is.... that is where most of mine has come from. The 23 yr EWs is only ~$225 there... Good prices on the old St Nicks.

Although I have never been there... my Japan cnnection shops there often... I think they had the Rare Perfections as well.

robbyvirus
10-09-2008, 00:53
I know where that place is.... that is where most of mine has come from. The 23 yr EWs is only ~$225 there... Good prices on the old St Nicks.

Although I have never been there... my Japan cnnection shops there often... I think they had the Rare Perfections as well.

Yes, you can see one of the "Rare Perfection" bourbons in one of the shots. Do you know who makes it?

spun_cookie
10-09-2008, 01:04
Yup, there they are... great looking bottels... and not yet. I have the 25, 21 and 14 yr (12 yr is very hard to get). I am going to open them soon and then I think I can figure it out. If not... I will send some to Mike Veach to help out...

All of them are quite dark... I want to believe they are not a HH product but maybe BT or even UD... but, I doubt it.

Luna56
10-09-2008, 01:09
Going back to Japan soon, hope to bring back some of the Japan-only Four Roses (forget what they call it).
Had some last time I was there, it was mighty good.

Campai!!

Attila
10-09-2008, 01:11
Going back to Japan soon, hope to bring back some of the Japan-only Four Roses (forget what they call it).
Had some last time I was there, it was mighty good.

Campai!!

Not the platinum . . ? The Black Label?

spun_cookie
10-09-2008, 01:16
honestly... skip bringing it back. It is a pretty bottel, but the 120th or maraige is the same stuff for the same price, unless you just want the bottel. More bang for the buck with the US curent releases.

I gave mine to birdman...

Luna56
10-09-2008, 01:17
Thanks for the prod, it's the Platinum.
I liked it a lot, very round and balanced, but the Single Barrel still gets major love around here.Still. I'm gonna try to bring some Platinum back.

Cheers!

Attila
01-17-2009, 04:30
Kawachiya in Kasai has a stunning selection. Went there today. Bunches and bunches of everything! If anyone travles to Japan, they should def consider going there.

edo
01-22-2009, 23:09
Kawachiya in Kasai has a stunning selection. Went there today. Bunches and bunches of everything! If anyone travles to Japan, they should def consider going there.

Attila, I'm going to be in Tokyo early next month. I've been to the Meijiro store, what is it ... Tanakaya.. easy to get to, nice selection, amazing for single malt...I was planning to go back.

How easy is it to get to Kawachiya from Shinjuku?

And, also, is their selection any different than from what we can buy from Kawachiya online?

Luna56
01-23-2009, 00:48
Edo, I'd be surprised if you can't find anything you could possibly desire in Shinjuku. What a crazy place.

I hope to be back in Tokyo again later this year, hope you'll share your findings!

Campai!!

edo
01-23-2009, 02:20
Edo, I'd be surprised if you can't find anything you could possibly desire in Shinjuku. What a crazy place.

I hope to be back in Tokyo again later this year, hope you'll share your findings!

Campai!!

I'm happy to share, but you'll have to fly down to paradise to get to my stash. From an earlier tip from Attila on this thread, I hit Tanakaya in Mejiro (a couple stops from Shinjuku) a couple months ago. It was good for bourbon, but mind blowing for single malts. I'm going back.

Hey Attila, how about a run down of Tokyo liquor stores with a good selection of whisk(e)y?

StraightBoston
01-23-2009, 08:07
There's a Kawachiya in Shibuya (three stops down from Shinjuku on the JR Yamanote line), just around the corner from the "robot" police box in Shibuya Center (follow the blue arrow in this image (http://basedonatruestory.com/moblog/archives/04/12/003322_shibuya_koban.html)), but prices are up and selection is down since I first started shopping there several years ago. There's a pretty high correlation between what's in the store and what on the web page.

Still a much broader variety of obscure HH and KBD labels than we can find anywhere in the States!

bourbonguyjapan
01-24-2009, 02:40
I'm happy to share, but you'll have to fly down to paradise to get to my stash. From an earlier tip from Attila on this thread, I hit Tanakaya in Mejiro (a couple stops from Shinjuku) a couple months ago. It was good for bourbon, but mind blowing for single malts. I'm going back.

Hey Attila, how about a run down of Tokyo liquor stores with a good selection of whisk(e)y?

Edo,

I'll throw you a bone.
Nero: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/nero/465901/470161/
Don't know about web presence vs. actual store, but the store had a few hard to find bourbons and many whiskys/whiskies.
I live in Aichi so I'm in the Boonies.
Yoshidaya also has a lot.

Happy Hunting,

BGJ

bourbonguyjapan
01-24-2009, 02:41
There's a Kawachiya in Shibuya (three stops down from Shinjuku on the JR Yamanote line), just around the corner from the "robot" police box in Shibuya Center (follow the blue arrow in this image (http://basedonatruestory.com/moblog/archives/04/12/003322_shibuya_koban.html)), but prices are up and selection is down since I first started shopping there several years ago. There's a pretty high correlation between what's in the store and what on the web page.

Still a much broader variety of obscure HH and KBD labels than we can find anywhere in the States!

Thanks for that tip. I was wondering what they actually had, and what the website says.

Cheers,

A.D.

edo
01-24-2009, 03:12
Thanks StraightBoston. Kawachiya in Shibuya is easy enough for me to check out. (I'll only be there for three days- and I'll be busy during the day.) I'll follow the blue arrow.

Bourbonguy, where is Nero? Which subway stop is it near?

The same with Yoshidaya... where? how?

I'm a rube.

Attila
01-24-2009, 05:56
Attila, I'm going to be in Tokyo early next month. I've been to the Meijiro store, what is it ... Tanakaya.. easy to get to, nice selection, amazing for single malt...I was planning to go back.

How easy is it to get to Kawachiya from Shinjuku?

And, also, is their selection any different than from what we can buy from Kawachiya online?

The shop in Kasai has a different selection than what is available online.

Directions from Shinjuku? I wouldnt know unless I looked it up. http://search.ekitan.com/norikae/Norikae1Servlet?AN=0

Tanakaya is the best, I think. Next comes that shop in Ginza I can never remember the name of. . . .

bourbonguyjapan
01-24-2009, 20:18
Thanks StraightBoston. Kawachiya in Shibuya is easy enough for me to check out. (I'll only be there for three days- and I'll be busy during the day.) I'll follow the blue arrow.

Bourbonguy, where is Nero? Which subway stop is it near?

The same with Yoshidaya... where? how?

I'm a rube.

Edo,

My apologies.
Nero is near Narumi Station in Odaka/Arimatsu.
Yoshidaya is a 10 minute walk from Ozone.
Nero has a website (not sure how it compares to the store)
and Yoshidaya has an order sheet if you fax them/mail them.
Both stores are in Nagoya.
I hope this helps. PM if you want a map.

Cheers!

A.D.

bourbonguyjapan
01-25-2009, 05:16
Where are you, and what you got?
PM and I'll send what I have to you...

oyasumi,

watashi

edo
01-25-2009, 22:25
Tokyo Whiskey Shops:

Tanakaya at Mejiro

Kawachiya at Kasai

Kawachiya in Shinjuku

Something in Ginza

Nero at Narumi

Yoshida 10 min. from Ozone

Thanks, guys.

Attila
01-25-2009, 23:50
are you saying you've been to these places?

edo
01-26-2009, 21:38
are you saying you've been to these places?

No, it's just a list of what you all mentioned. I've only been to Tanakaya at Mejiro (and online Kawachiya- done a lot of business with them.)

Attila
01-26-2009, 23:28
No, it's just a list of what you all mentioned. I've only been to Tanakaya at Mejiro (and online Kawachiya- done a lot of business with them.)

so you are the reason why they tend to be out of everythign lately:hot:

Just kidding.

edo
02-08-2009, 19:23
Quick post-Tokyo update:

I went to two shops (no time for more) Tanakaya at Mejiro and Kawachiya in Shibuya. I went to Tanakaya first and spent everything I had to spend. In their sale basket (cat-a-corner in the shop from the bourbon corner of the bourbon -irish -blended scotch whisk(e)y wall), they had liter-sized bottles of Ardbeg (10 y.o.) and cask strength (nas) Bowmore for ¥3980. I picked up all they had (5 bottles). That left we with some change with which I got Old Fitz BIB and Old Charter 8 y.o.

You guys in Japan should know that although Tanakaya doesn't sell online, they will ship a case of bottles for ¥700 at least as far as souther Kyushu.

Though my money was spent, I thought I should check out Kawachiya in Shibuya for comparison purposes. Really, there's no comparison- significantly higher prices and a fraction of the selection. Online Kawachiya is fantastic, the Shibuya shop pales even in comparison to a shop in Miyazaki. Atilla claimed Tanakaya was the best, and last weekend before I left, a friend who had lived in Tokyo (without prior discussion) advised me to hit Tanakaya. It was my second visit, and the selection hadn't changed much, but the items in the sale basket had. (The last time I got a 1.13 liter bottle of Glen Morangie for ¥3900!)

In summation, whisk(e)y buyers, forget Kawachiya in Shibuya, but don't miss Tanakaya in Mejiro. Tanakaya has good prices on a good selection of bourbon, Irish, and Canadian, but a mind boggling selection of single malt scotch whisky.

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-09-2009, 00:08
It was fun reading though this thread, but I'm up here in the frozen north and don't know when I will be down to check out these stores. I will just have to go to one of the Big Licky chain stores nearby and get me some Even William's 12 yo or maybe go to one of the bigger ones and get something a little out of the ordinary. I haven't had Olde St Nick Winter Rye in a long while. Ed

edo
02-09-2009, 01:23
It was fun reading though this thread, but I'm up here in the frozen north and don't know when I will be down to check out these stores. I will just have to go to one of the Big Licky chain stores nearby and get me some Even William's 12 yo or maybe go to one of the bigger ones and get something a little out of the ordinary. I haven't had Olde St Nick Winter Rye in a long while. Ed

Ed, man, you gotta get set up with Kawachiya online. I think they'll ship as many bottles as you can buy to the Hokkaido tundra for ¥766. Here's the top of their whisk(e)y page.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/kawachi/c/0000000107/?p=1&type=all

You ought to be able to find something there to take the chill off ...

... well, looky here...

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/kawachi/stnickwinter/

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-09-2009, 23:07
If I can figure out how to navigate the page I will do that. I have had trouble with overly complicated order forms in Japanese before. Ed

edo
02-11-2009, 02:17
If I can figure out how to navigate the page I will do that. I have had trouble with overly complicated order forms in Japanese before. Ed

Get somebody to help you set it up. After that, you just type in your password and click away

... and pay with your credit card

...dangerous, very dangerous

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-11-2009, 16:54
Get somebody to help you set it up. After that, you just type in your password and click away

... and pay with your credit card

...dangerous, very dangerous

I could get my wife to do it... No, wait. That is dangerous...