PDA

View Full Version : Two TWO new Turkeys!

DrinkyBanjo
09-18-2007, 18:24
Are we slipping or what? A mention of RR Rye (90 Proof) and WT 15 YO 100 Proof!

http://www.maltadvocate.com/what-does-john-know-9-13-07r1.asp

ILLfarmboy
09-18-2007, 18:33
MMM a BIB 15 yr. WT. I'm drooling.

fricky
09-18-2007, 19:16
I don't understand why the Russell's Reserve Rye will be only 90 proof when their current rye (which is quite good) is 101 proof. Maybe the 101 proof rye will be discontinued.

The new limited-release 15 year old appears to be the same as the limited-release Tribute which was also 15 years old. However, Tribute was 101 proof. Unfortunately, neither was available during the Burbon Festival.
Doug

DrinkyBanjo
09-18-2007, 19:41
RR is now 90 proof so it only makes sense (to WT marketing not to me) that RR Rye would be 90 proof as well. WT 101 is still out there so hopefully they will not mess with WT 101 Rye.

If the new 15 YO is like Tribute we are in for a treat.

mgilbertva
09-18-2007, 19:49
What do you think of the name, "Wild Turkey American Spirit"? Of course, there's already a "Kentucky Spirit." Personally, I kinda like it.

HipFlask
09-18-2007, 21:41
This is most interesting. I am sure looking forward to give the 15 year a try. Please don't mess with the 101 rye though. I will certainly give WT RR Rye a place in the cabinet. Any ideas on how much that will cost?

cowdery
09-18-2007, 23:06
They're not dropping anything.

Russell's Reserve is becoming like a second brand, with a bourbon and now a rye at a mild (but still premium) 90 proof. The 15-year-old needed to be a little different from Tribute and has the added merit of being BIB, which means it will be exactly 15-years-old, no doctoring with older whiskey. Though limited in quantity (though that's all they say, not how many will be made), this will be an annual release, like BTAC, not a one-off like Tribute.

The 15-year-old will be $90. The RRR will be about the same as RRB.

That's what Chuck Cowdery knows.

HighTower
09-19-2007, 04:39
I just wish the RRRye was 10 years old like the bourbon, rather than 6 years.
The American Spirit sounds good.

So, what's it like Dawn??

Scott

luv2hunt
09-19-2007, 04:50
I deleted my post because I meant that I had the Tribute in my room! No, I haven't seen or tasted the two new ones :blush::blush:

Dawn

HighTower
09-19-2007, 05:01
Well, I can't wait to get my hot little hands on some!!
Another crazy bird I gotta have!!

Scott

HighTower
09-19-2007, 05:28
Russell's Reserve is becoming like a second brand
It's funny you should say that, Chuck. I couldn't believe when I got my first RR90 that it only said "Wild Turkey" on the bottle once, and that once is very small.

Scott

ggilbertva
09-19-2007, 05:55
...has the added merit of being BIB, which means it will be exactly 15-years-old, no doctoring with older whiskey.

Chuck,

Wouldn't this release replace Henry McKenna as the oldest age stated BIB on market?

DrinkyBanjo
09-19-2007, 06:54
They're not dropping anything.

Russell's Reserve is becoming like a second brand, with a bourbon and now a rye at a mild (but still premium) 90 proof. The 15-year-old needed to be a little different from Tribute and has the added merit of being BIB, which means it will be exactly 15-years-old, no doctoring with older whiskey. Though limited in quantity (though that's all they say, not how many will be made), this will be an annual release, like BTAC, not a one-off like Tribute.

The 15-year-old will be $90. The RRR will be about the same as RRB.

That's what Chuck Cowdery knows.

So if its 15 YO BIB it HAS to be fifteen YO and not the youngest whiskey is 15 YO. Interesting, learn something new...

ACDetroit
09-19-2007, 09:56
I don't know if anyone has seen the packaging yet but her it is. Found it on the ABC web site as a new release.

darkluna
09-19-2007, 10:38
I'm very excited to see two new products from Wild Turkey, although I wish the Rye was 101 proof and I wish the 15yr was a little less expensive ($90!). I will try them both if I can get them.

boone
09-19-2007, 10:42
The product has to be at least 15 years old...They can put older in the bottle but "never younger than the age statement".

Have at it!

So if its 15 YO BIB it HAS to be fifteen YO and not the youngest whiskey is 15 YO. Interesting, learn something new...

gothbat
09-19-2007, 11:16
Exciting news, indeed! I was happy to hear about the rye but I'm excited to hear about this 15 yo. It's irrelevant to the whiskey I can't wait to taste but I like how they have the bonded tax strip on the bottle, when brands make their own design for the faux tax strip it never looks as good! Let's hope they're sampling this one at Whiskyfest!

cowdery
09-19-2007, 11:56
Chuck,

Wouldn't this release replace Henry McKenna as the oldest age stated BIB on market?

I guess so. There aren't many that even have age statements.

cowdery
09-19-2007, 11:58

BIB has to be from a single season, distillery and distillery. I call it the singularity requirement. I'm very happy to see WT introduce a new BIB.

Whiskey Willie
09-19-2007, 13:09
Oh yeah! A new rye from WT...Can't say that I will get around to trying the BIB soon though ($$$).

HighTower
09-19-2007, 14:06
Looks like they're using the same bottle as the WT Heritage.....that's niiice!

Scott

melting
09-19-2007, 16:35
Wow, 90 bucks for an offering from Wild Turkey. I've always thought of them as being more of a blue collar company. Even their higher end products were quite reasonable priced. It's feels like Ford trying to muscle in on Maserati's turf.

Let's see one bottle of American Spirit or 6 bottles of standard 101. Although I'll probably get one just to say I did.

Chris

cowdery
09-19-2007, 16:53
Think of it this way. As long as the distilleries are making money, they'll keep making bourbon.

Virus_Of_Life
09-19-2007, 16:57
I'm very excited to see two new products from Wild Turkey, although I wish the Rye was 101 proof and I wish the 15yr was a little less expensive ($90!). I will try them both if I can get them.

I agree 100% $90 really starts pushing the limits IMO.

The bottle looks like the same one that Heritage comes in.

BourbonJoe
09-19-2007, 17:01
I agree 100% $90 really starts pushing the limits IMO.

But isn't that the street price of Tribute when it was introduced....years ago?
Joe :usflag:

Virus_Of_Life
09-19-2007, 17:06
But isn't that the street price of Tribute when it was introduced....years ago?

~$85 is what I got all but one of mine for, and yes that pushed the limits I thought and I had to give a lot of consideration before buying them. Now, is this going to be as good? Better be damn close, if not better for that price.

gothbat
09-19-2007, 22:07
I tracked down the press release because I wanted to know how many bottles there were and it doesn't say but here it is in case anyone wants to read it: http://www.pernod-ricard-usa.com/media/pr.php?id=26&pr_id=258 Looks like it will come in a wooden box like the picture suggests.

HighTower
09-20-2007, 06:05
I tracked down the press release because I wanted to know how many bottles there were and it doesn't say but here it is in case anyone wants to read it: http://www.pernod-ricard-usa.com/media/pr.php?id=26&pr_id=258 Looks like it will come in a wooden box like the picture suggests.
24,000 bottles world-wide. Won't miss out on this.....I wonder just how much of this will come to Australia, and more importantly how much it will cost here.
I'm willing to bet it ends up at VC/1st Choice for $150
http://www.southernwine.com/OfficesNationwide/SouthCarolina/SuppliersList/WildTurkeyAmericanSpirit/tabid/767/Default.aspx

Scott

gothbat
09-20-2007, 06:49
24,000 bottles world-wide.

Glad to hear that, sounds like this should be easy to come by.

luv2hunt
09-21-2007, 16:33
For those of you who haven't stocked up on WT RR 101.....a little birdie told me that you might want to call Brett at Binny's.

Dawn

ArtL
09-21-2007, 16:51
For those of you who haven't stocked up on WT RR 101.....a little birdie told me that you might want to call Brett at Binny's.

Dawn

Thanks for the scoop Dawn!
Ya gotta love them naked turkeys! :grin:

Grain Brain
09-27-2007, 00:39
Looks like it's time to do some turkey hunting!

gothbat
09-27-2007, 15:44
In the latest "What Does John Know" there is a bit of tasting information on the WTRR Rye (http://www.maltadvocate.com/what-does-john-know.asp). Some info on the American Spirit is coming soon.

TNbourbon
09-27-2007, 20:42
In the latest "What Does John Know" there is a bit of tasting information on the WTRR Rye (http://www.maltadvocate.com/what-does-john-know.asp). Some info on the American Spirit is coming soon.

Oh, boy (he said, ironically) -- an "easy-to-drink" Wild Turkey rye. Why don't they just change the name to 'Mild' Turkey now? Suits. Damn the suits.

gothbat
09-27-2007, 21:36
Oh, boy (he said, ironically) -- an "easy-to-drink" Wild Turkey rye. Why don't they just change the name to 'Mild' Turkey now? Suits. Damn the suits.

haha
I've never had WT101 Rye, only Rittenhouse BIB and Handy, but reading that blog made me want to try it more than the upcoming one. I still look forward to getting a taste of the RR Rye at Whiskyfest if they're pouring it.

DrinkyBanjo
09-28-2007, 06:07
Goth, I'm still on the fence about Whiskey Fest NYC. If I do go I'll let you know so we can hook up.

gothbat
09-28-2007, 15:12
Goth, I'm still on the fence about Whiskey Fest NYC. If I do go I'll let you know so we can hook up.

Sounds good, let me know! I'll probably start a thread in Social about this, I've been wondering who's going.

Phischy
09-28-2007, 22:47
I just picked up some RR 10yr/101 proof. I actually thought this was the new Rye at first, but the more I read about it, is this the old RR higher proof before it became just Russel's Reserve 90 proof? It's def not the new one...so is what I bought an out-of-production bottle?

gothbat
09-28-2007, 22:55
...so is what I bought an out-of-production bottle?

Yeah, they replaced the RR 101 with a 90 proof version of it in a different bottle. :/ I've only had the current bottling once and it was alright but the 101 was alot better imo. Strangely the 101 is listed on the WT web page but the 90 is not.

cowdery
10-02-2007, 12:42
A pic of the RR Rye.

Phischy
10-02-2007, 21:28
Well I had the RR 101...didn't care for it. NEither did my buddy but he likeds the RR 90. In fact he raves about it. So far the only Turkey I've cared for is Rare Breed.

HighTower
10-03-2007, 05:07
Thanks for the pic, Chuck. I like the way Jimmy's signature is embossed on the bottle.

Scott

ILLfarmboy
10-03-2007, 09:45
Thanks for the pic, Chuck. I like the way Jimmy's signature is embossed on the bottle.

Scott

Yes, handsome bottle. But just like the new RR 90 that replaced the 101, why the ugly label?

bluesbassdad
10-03-2007, 12:54
[snip]
Russell's Reserve is becoming like a second brand, with a bourbon and now a rye at a mild (but still premium) 90 proof. [snip]

Chuck,

I was just now looking at the photo you posted. I don't see the words Wild Turkey.

That prompted me to check the label on my bottle of RR90 -- no "Wild Turkey" there, either. Even on the back label all it says is "Austin Nichols".

Second brand, indeed!

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

HighTower
10-03-2007, 15:40
Chuck,

That prompted me to check the label on my bottle of RR90 -- no "Wild Turkey" there, either. Even on the back label all it says is "Austin Nichols".

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield
Dave,
I have a few of the RR90s here, and mine do say Wild Turkey on them. These bottles were purchased from the US, shortly after it's release. Maybe they have changed the bottles since. I was surprised when I got these bottles, as the "Wild Turkey" is very small, and only on the bottle once.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/dickheadofthemonth/WTRR90.jpg

Scott

kbuzbee
10-04-2007, 11:21

Ditto that. I hope Ohio gets a bunch of the 15yo... Sounds like a great pour from a great distiller.

Ken

cas
10-09-2007, 12:45
I haven't seen the rye yet but the American Spirit has shown up in MI.
Craig

cowdery
11-04-2007, 13:55
I just learned that American Spirit is, in fact, a one-time-only release and not intended as an ongoing product. That doesn't mean they won't do it again or do something else in that age range, but what is out there now is it. Like Tribute, it's a limited release.

Russell's Reserve Rye, on the other hand, is going to be an on-going product. I had a chance to try it and it is really, really good. All I had was a taste, but I'll be grabbing a bottle at my first opportunity.

Virus_Of_Life
11-04-2007, 14:16
Yes, handsome bottle. But just like the new RR 90 that replaced the 101, why the ugly label?

Yeah, that is a pretty ugly label!

So has anyone seen this in the California area? It has been over a month now hasn't it and I've seen no signs... Guess I could grab some when I am back in Missouri next week.

HipFlask
11-04-2007, 15:44
This new Rye is a tricky onr for me. Sometimes it was a really good pour. Other times I got a salty aftertaste that I didn't really care for. Funny thing is my last bottle of WT RR 90 was the same way. Bad cork? I can't really explain it?

BourbonJoe
11-05-2007, 16:55
Russell's Reserve Rye, on the other hand, is going to be an on-going product. I had a chance to try it and it is really, really good. All I had was a taste, but I'll be grabbing a bottle at my first opportunity.

Chuck,
Is it better than their regular rye?

cowdery
11-05-2007, 17:20
I didn't taste them side by side but was very favorably impressed. WT rye has always tasted a little muddy to me. This didn't. Very nice spice note.

I learned that Wild Turkey Rye is generally just 4 to 4 1/2 years old while the RR Rye is at least six. It makes a difference.

luv2hunt
11-07-2007, 16:01
Still no shows for either one here in Indiana....well, Indianapolis anyway :)

cowdery
11-07-2007, 16:07
I just picked up a bottle of the RR rye at Binny's (Clark Street) and am enjoying it now. I can still taste the earthiness that I find too much in the standard WT Rye, but now it's more in balance with the other flavors. Plus it has a real nice, clear spearmint note front and center.

No American Spirit, however.

sysrick
11-08-2007, 18:15
I found one bottle of Wild Turkey American Spirit in the locked cabinet at one of the Liquor Barn's in Lexington last night. Got it sprung and it went home with me (including the wooden case) for $79.

jburlowski
11-10-2007, 15:01
I found one bottle of Wild Turkey American Spirit in the locked cabinet at one of the Liquor Barn's in Lexington last night. Got it sprung and it went home with me (including the wooden case) for $79.

I think you will love it... this is seriously great whiskey!

BourbonJoe
11-11-2007, 07:19
I had it in a bourbon tasting and , at the time, it tasted like an old charcoal briquette, Maybe just a bad pallette day.