PDA

View Full Version : very new bourbon drinker

scrambizle
09-20-2007, 19:07
I've just developed a desire to try bourbon (perhaps it was the bourbon-and-Cokes in college), and I'm looking for a little advice. In about fifteen minutes, I'm going to try "tasting" some Maker's Mark with a little water. I might try it later on tonight or tomorrow on the rocks. Any tips for tasting/developing a taste for the spirit? Any specific brands that a new drinker might enjoy? I'm a little reserved about rye and rye-heavy bourbons, but I'm not sure if I really understand what they are all about.

ggilbertva
09-20-2007, 19:25
Scrambizle,

Welcome to SB.com. You've asked a lot of questions and hopefully you will explore this site and learn many things about bourbon. That's how I started. First off, in my opinion, you've selected a good, mellow bourbon to start your experience. There's no wrong way to drink bourbon; neat, cut, rocks, mixed. Drink it to your preference. I started off years ago drinking bourbon with Coke and now almost always drink it neat. Makers is a wheated bourbon meaning that the other dominant grain next to corn is wheat instead of rye. You will find the wheated bourbons to be sweeter, sometimes lighter or more mellow than their rye brethren. Use the search function on this site and have fun learning.

T47
09-21-2007, 00:04
Welcome to the board! No end to the great information you will find here.
Makers is what started me down the slippery slope. I found it to be easy to drink. I think some other easy drinking bottles are Weller 12, Buffalo Trace, EWSB and Basil Hayden, some might not be available in your area. When I think "easy" or "smooth" I tend to think lower proof wheaters...not a bad thing, just maybe what your in the mood for.
But maybe you will like higher proof, more intense flavor?
You should update your profile to let people know where you are. People in your area will know what brands are available, or where to send you to find certain bottles.
Hope you enjoyed your Makers...

:toast: