PDA

View Full Version : Your most disappointing purchase?

arsbadmojo
09-23-2007, 15:31
Mine would have to be Elijah Craig 18 Single Barrel.

I bought it after trying the sublime Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 YO. I thought 'if this is what really old bourbon is all about - I'm a believer!'

I'm a big fan of Elijah Craig 12 (although my latest bottle isn't up to par) so I figured it would be everything I love about the 12 YO with the benefit of extra age.

As it turned out, I discovered that a bourbon really can be overaged. It was way too woody, almost mossy. I've gone back again every now and then in the hopeful optimism that I might like it better, but I can't finish a glass.

What purchases didn't meet you're expectations?

ratcheer
09-23-2007, 16:14
I was very disappointed with the 1792 Ridgemont Reserve a few years ago. Also with Bulleit. In fact, now that I think about it, the two were very similar - overly sweet and one-dimensional.

Tim

ILLfarmboy
09-23-2007, 16:45
I have had several disappointments but most disappointing would be Woodford Reserve.

TBoner
09-23-2007, 17:06
Good thread idea. I'd say my biggest disappointments have not been brands or labels I didn't like. Rather, my biggest disappointment is getting an off bottle or off pour of an old favorite. For instance, I got hold of some awful Knob Creek once that tasted like sour ale and peanut brittle. I have no idea how such a flavor profile wound up in that brand, but it was not drinkable. Similarly, a couple of months ago, I opened up some ER 101 that wasn't worth being put into a bottle. When trying a new brand, I am prepared to not like it. When trying a dusty, even moreso. I just hate it when I open up something I know is good, and I lose at liquor roulette.:cry:

mozilla
09-23-2007, 17:37
I have not had too many that were real disappointing as for flavor except for Bulliet (very industrial) and Jacobs Well (very flat). I would give Bulliet a second chance but the Jacobs Well gets none. The biggest issue I have is with the proof reduction and price increase on Eagle Rare.

snakster
09-23-2007, 18:05
I was disappointed with Baker's. I bought 2 bottles at a great discount ($22 each) and was very excited to try it (based on its recent crowning). Just really didn't care for it. I still have the second bottle unopened. I may save it to open and try again in the future (as maybe my tastes may be more developed), or perhaps I shall give to somebody fairly local who may like it more than me.

TomH
09-23-2007, 18:53
Have not been seriously disappointed with any bourbon yet. In fact, the only time I really remember being disappointed was when St. George's American single malt was announced and it took some time for it to show up in this market. Was thrilled when it finally showed up, bought a bottle, brought it home and opened it, took my first drink and almost spit it out. The only whiskey/whisky that I honestly can say I hated the taste.

Tom

HipFlask
09-23-2007, 19:06
Funny timing with this one. My most recent disappointment come from a bottle of WT RR 90 that I just bought yesterday. Somebody posted a picture of their stash that contained a bottle of the old WT RR 101(Wish I had some bunkered). That got me primed to try another bottle. Too bad the one I picked had a bad cork. I like Olive juice with Vodka from time to time but not in my whiskey. At least when I haven't put it there. After a second pour I noticed the cork is soft and looks like piece of bruised fruit. It happens from time to time. Any ways I am majorly disappointed.

mgilbertva
09-23-2007, 21:05

I bought it after trying the sublime Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 YO. I thought 'if this is what really old bourbon is all about - I'm a believer!'

I'm a big fan of Elijah Craig 12 (although my latest bottle isn't up to par) so I figured it would be everything I love about the 12 YO with the benefit of extra age.

As it turned out, I discovered that a bourbon really can be overaged. It was way too woody, almost mossy. I've gone back again every now and then in the hopeful optimism that I might like it better, but I can't finish a glass.

Funny you should mention EC18. This was my experience exactly. In fact, as I said in the BOTM thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7828&page=2), I gave it away because I disliked it so much.

Oddly, my second most disappointing purchase was PVW 20yr. I thought it was too soft and overaged. At that point I had started the switch from single malt scotches and found I liked the really big, high proof bourbons like Booker's and Stagg. So I wasn't prepared for the subtlety of Pappy. As the bottle was open, however, after a few months I came to like it immensely, although not as much as the 15 yr, which I love. I still think the 20 yr is overaged and would buy the 15 yr in preference even if they were the same price.

bluesbassdad
09-24-2007, 00:35
No contest. It's Hirsch 16 y/o gold foil.

I won't bore the old-timers by rehashing the story, except for one point.

It was bargain priced from the moment it was released, $39.99, IIRC -- $20 less than I'd paid for the gold wax. I should have known that it was too good to be true.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

BourbonJoe
09-24-2007, 05:22
Mine was a full half gallon of tax stamped Old Forester from back in the day. I bought this on e-bay and the seal was broken. I brought this bottle to Louisville only to find that someone had dumped Old Fashion mix in it. What a bummer. :hot:
Joe :usflag:

ggilbertva
09-24-2007, 05:39
I have two disappointments. First was Basil Hayden which was overpriced and not to my liking. The second was Hirsch Gold Foil. I was so primed to enjoy this bourbon that was recommended by many. I've tried it a couple of times hoping it would grow on me....it hasn't and I still don't like it. I did have the opportunity to try the blue wax which was superb. Not sure what happened between blue was and gold foil but something funky went awry.

As a side note, I did open a 375ml bottle of Old Taylor, distilled 1984, bottled 1990. It must have been an off night for me cause I couldn't finish it....way to medicinal mid palate. My brother tried it the next day and said it tasted fine...mild and not overly complex but no off notes were detected.

ggilbertva
09-24-2007, 05:40
Mine was a full half gallon of tax stamped Old Forester from back in the day. I bought this on e-bay and the seal was broken. I brought this bottle to Louisville only to find that someone had dumped Old Fashion mix in it. What a bummer. :hot:

That's too bad because the older Old Forester is a mighty fine pour.

gblick
09-24-2007, 06:42
A few months back I bought a bottle of JW Dant BiB to try. I think it must be a bad bottle, because it is absolutely vile. I've never tried any other JW Dant than this bottle, too afraid.

ggilbertva
09-24-2007, 09:11
A few months back I bought a bottle of JW Dant BiB to try. I think it must be a bad bottle, because it is absolutely vile. I've never tried any other JW Dant than this bottle, too afraid.

Well Gus, when I'm in KY next month, one of the bottles I will be picking up will be the Dant BIB. Let's hope it's a better bottle than you had.

gothbat
09-24-2007, 13:54
The bottle of 2006 ER17 I opened this weekend was a bit disappointing, it was very light in both taste and color (I had it in the wrapping paper the whole time and had never seen an unwrapped one from '06.); definitely not what I had been expecting. I thought it would be pretty good because I like ER10 and it is part of the BTAC but I like the 10 year much better. I guess no matter how good it is it will always be in the shadow of GTS, WLW, and THH since it is not barrel proof. I also wasn't too crazy about Hirsch 16 Gold Foil, especially for a $75 bottle.

melting
09-24-2007, 14:04
Being a tremendous fan of all things Wild Turkey it disappoints me deeply to report that I have just opened a brand spankin new bottle of Russels Reserve that was awfull. I seriously thought dumping it down the drain.

Cooler heads prevailed, which quite honestly may be a first for me as I am quick to fly off the handle, and I put it back on the shelf. I'm hoping it was just a bad night and not an off bottle.

Chris

OscarV
09-24-2007, 14:05
The bottle of 2006 ER17 I opened this weekend was a bit disappointing, it was very light in both taste and color; definitely not what I had been expecting.

This is off topic but, I think BT has screwed up big time by dropping Eagle Rare 101 10yo.
It is far superior to both ER17 and ERSB.

HighTower
09-24-2007, 14:42
I recently purchased a signed WTKS from someone online. The plastic seal was there but the perforation broken. the bottle is from 2003. I have bottles here from 04, 05, 06 and 07; and this bottle is shades lighter than the others. My feeling is it has been comsumed and filled with inferior bourbon, the fill line was much higher than any KS I have seen, up to the bottom of the neck label. I still have a bit of a cold, but the other night I pulled out a KS, RR101, RR90, and a Rare Breed and to me the stuff in this bottles doesn't smell like Turkey. I used a syringe to extract a small amount and it doesn't taste like turkey, certainly not KS anyway. :hot:
As KS isn't available in Australia, I figure they thought someone would buy this bottle and put it on display and not know any better, even if they did open it, how would they know, right?
I will try and take pics to get the color of this bottle to get peoples opinions....until then has anyone ever seen a high fill line on a KS bottle??
Keeping in mind this bottle is the oldest one I have here, I thought if anything the fill line would be a little lower due to evaporation.
Thoughts?

Also, Hirsch 16 was a disappointing purchase for me too......have revisited a couple of times and tried a bottle at a bar....all very metallic. These were both gold foil.

Scott

gothbat
09-24-2007, 17:51
My feeling is it has been comsumed and filled with inferior bourbon....until then has anyone ever seen a high fill line on a KS bottle??

I worry about the exact same thing every time I buy something from someone online! I've had one I suspected but it was an old bottle so there are good reasons why it might not taste right, I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt. As for the fill on the KS, I've noticed a few that were under filled but never one that was over filled. I'm sure it happens though.

mythrenegade
09-24-2007, 18:20
Woodford Reserve, hands down. I was very excited to try this premium looking bourbon. Unfortunately that's the problem. It looks premium, but tastes very plain and ordinary. It wasn't terrible, but has less flavor than any other bourbon I've ever had.

Joel

ILLfarmboy
09-24-2007, 19:41

I recently purchased a signed WTKS from someone online. The plastic seal was there but the perforation broken. the bottle is from 2003. I have bottles here from 04, 05, 06 and 07; and this bottle is shades lighter than the others. My feeling is it has been comsumed and filled with inferior bourbon....
Scott

Guys, those aren't "disappointing purchases", those are flat out rip offs.

Truly despicable behavior! And for what? The price of a bottle of whiskey!

jinenjo
09-24-2007, 20:59
I've had few to no disappointments. However, I bought a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve (no age statement) that I was hoping would be much better than it was.

Too sweet, with little to no depth at all.

Although I paid for it as a gift, I am glad I didn't buy it for myself. Yet, I'm sorry it wasn't so great for my friend either.

whiskeyhatch
09-24-2007, 21:56
Corner Creek. Maybe I got a bad batch but, as I mentioned in another post, this stuff tasted very young and had an aroma of cooked asparagus. This stuff is undrinkable. Here's an idea for a thread: What can you do with a $30 bottle of a disappointing, undrinkable whiskey?

Hedmans Brorsa
09-24-2007, 23:37
My latest bottle of Rock Hill Farms was a huge disappointment to me. Not disastrous by any means but it lacked the depth and richness of earlier bottles Ive had.

I noticed that the certificate from Gary Gayheart that was enclosed with my earlier bottles, was absent here. Maybe they dont give priority to this one any longer? Of course, it could also be a one-off bottling.

gblick
09-25-2007, 06:57
Well Gus, when I'm in KY next month, one of the bottles I will be picking up will be the Dant BIB. Let's hope it's a better bottle than you had.
Is it not available where you live? It's on the bottom shelf of practically every store in town here. The bottle I have is a Bardstown bottling from DSP-KY-31 with 99 imprinted on the bottom. I've been told that the Bardstown stuff is not good. Maybe I'll give it a try again if I see some other bottlings from elsewhere. Good luck to you.

Vange
09-25-2007, 07:10
Since it didn't just say most disappointing bourbon I'll add my worst SMSW in here too since it was MORE disappointing to me that the bourbon.

Bourbon - I would say EC18, its just not my cup of tea. Too smoky and too char-like. I can see why others would like it, but its not for me.

SMSW - Bowmore Darkest. It is the most artificial tasting SMSW I have ever had. Undrinkable to me. I cant even serve it even to people that like Islays.

ggilbertva
09-25-2007, 12:26
This is off topic but, I think BT has screwed up big time by dropping Eagle Rare 101 10yo.
It is far superior to both ER17 and ERSB.

I agree. I had the pleasure just in the last couple of months in trying the Eagle Rare 101 10 year and I love it. The ER 17 is ok and the current version SB is not to my liking. I have couple bottles bunkered and hope to find more in the future.

wintersway
09-25-2007, 13:39
Have to second the Corner Creek and Bulliet posts. Didn't even retaste either bottle. That's what casual acquaintances are for! :grin:

camduncan
09-25-2007, 14:35
I'd have to say my bottle of Elijah Craig 18yo, as well as Wild Turkey Freedom. I'm prepared to give the EC another go, as the bottle I purchased in New Zealand had a damaged cork and may have been tainted (didn't realise until I got back to Australia)..
But, as Freedom is not available any more, I guess I can't revisit another bottle to be sure.

HighTower
09-25-2007, 15:11
I'd have to say my bottle of Elijah Craig 18yo, as well as Wild Turkey Freedom. I'm prepared to give the EC another go, as the bottle I purchased in New Zealand had a damaged cork and may have been tainted (didn't realise until I got back to Australia)..
But, as Freedom is not available any more, I guess I can't revisit another bottle to be sure.
Yeah cam, I found your Freedom to bit a little 'flat' for a WT offering. There wasn't much to it. At least it's in a pretty bottle!
Scott

tmas
09-27-2007, 17:32
Have to second the Corner Creek and Bulliet posts. Didn't even retaste either bottle. That's what casual acquaintances are for! :grin:

And I'll "third" the Corner Creek & Bulliet sentiments. Tom V

AVB
09-27-2007, 18:01
Woodford, Basil Hayden's and Bulliet are certainly the bottom three of the 60 or so bourbons and ryes I own and the hundred others I've had. I'd rather have Old Crow.

SBOmarc
09-27-2007, 18:21
A tie between OF Birthday Bourbon and Woodford Reserve. I know that bashing the Old Forrester is sacrilege to some, but I found it not only harsh on the pallet but a flavor that so far I can't describe except to say I don't like it at all.

NorCalBoozer
09-28-2007, 11:50
I would have to say my most disappointing purchase was the first release of William LaRue Weller. I've pretty much loved or liked every BTAC offering up to that point and the WLW was just something I could never get my tastebuds around.

I have the first bottle still opened. It's probably been over a year. I think I'll go back tonight and give it a go.

If nothing changed i'll need to ask Gary to give me some guidance as to what to mix this with to give me something a bit more enjoyable.

scopenut
09-28-2007, 12:23
I was very disappointed in a bottle of Black Maple Hill 11 yr. Had a chemical/benzine taste. I might have gotten a bad bottle, based on the opinions on the list for this pour.

-Kevin

ratcheer
09-28-2007, 14:22
A tie between OF Birthday Bourbon and Woodford Reserve. I know that bashing the Old Forrester is sacrilege to some, but I found it not only harsh on the pallet but a flavor that so far I can't describe except to say I don't like it at all.

On the OFBB, which year? My 2002 bottling is one of my top 5.

Tim

SBOmarc
09-28-2007, 19:22
Tim, it's the Spring 1990 bottle, the second of two bottles.

Gillman
09-29-2007, 05:56
Recently, it was a half bottle of Rare Breed. The whiskey had a strong smell of fresh cork, much more than usual (which should be little or none). I tried decanting it to "air it out" but no dice. The odor is too strong even for mingling so I will discard it. It's the only disappointment in quite a while.

Gary

Stu
09-29-2007, 12:02
SMSW - Bowmore Darkest. It is the most artificial tasting SMSW I have ever had. Undrinkable to me. I cant even serve it even to people that like Islays.

Vange,

After supper some evening, put a piece of dark chocolate in your mouth and when it starts to melt add a little bit of Bowmore Darkest. Treat it as a sweet brandy and it's almost drinkable. Personally I find Dawn and Dusk even worse!

Stu

TBoner
09-29-2007, 13:58
Stu,

Agreed. A bottling that was more popular than expected and went downhill as more caramel was added to maintain consistent color. The others aren't as offensive to me.

The good news is, with the revamping of their line, Bowmore is issuing a 15-yr Darkest (wow, an age statement: what a concept, guys!). I'll miss the 15-yr and 17-yr, but I'm hopeful the new bottlings will be at least decent. In the meantime, I avoid Darkest....ugh.

J.W.
10-01-2007, 06:54
Without a doubt it must be Elijah Craig. I have had very few things as bitter as this.

mozilla
10-01-2007, 07:02
I thought it was crap after I bought mine as well. The weird thing is after I let it sit for a month or two and then gave it another shot.....it turned out to be a real interesting pour.

WsmataU
10-01-2007, 09:35
For me the worst was a Knob Creek sampling that turned me off of anything over 100 proof since then.
Another disappointment was Old Pogue. I don't dislike the bourbon. It is altogether fine. But I don't find myself reaching for it when I want a drink. I believe the term is "mmmm..meh." The bottle has been sitting opened in my bar for nearly two years (that says something), and has been relinquished to tastings by visitors who want to give it a try and the occasional cooking recipe.

jburlowski
10-01-2007, 11:25
WR4G (especially at the price) ---- but definitely WR4G

cas
10-01-2007, 15:59
I picked up some Old Pogue recently and don't much care for it. I've tried it several times now and it hasn't grown on me at all.
Craig

Kendall
10-03-2007, 17:05
Corner Creek, should have poured it in the creek. But I remebered I really like to fish.

scratchline
10-07-2007, 08:59
Yesterday, I went to pick up some Old Hickory that I had spotted. I bought and consumed a liter earlier this week, and it was pretty good so I thought I'd bunker its shelfmates. I was back in my car with my purchase when I noticed that unlike the first bottle, the others were labeled "Old Hickory Kentucky's Finest Bourbon Whiskey--A Blend". Needless to say, I was disappointed. I can't remember the last time I drank a blended whiskey, and I've never actually bought a bottle.

That said, I noticed that the GNS content was 49%, much lower than most current blends. So I opened the bottle and tried it. Believe it or not, I like it as well or better than the straight bourbon. I think it will mix well and I might even use it to mellow some of the edgier barrel proof bourbon I have.

So my most disappointing purchase morphed into a happy accident.

-Mike

mozilla
10-07-2007, 09:58
Mike,
That is Medley bourbon that you have been tasteing. I have a few that are from Owensboro as well. There is a picture of one in the Houston gathering photos. Cheers!

Gillman
10-07-2007, 10:12
A practical illustration (and thanks for sharing) of how an intelligently put together blend can be satisfying. Since GNS is essentially vodka, it should provide an example of how you can improve some bourbons in the bunker you otherwise would not use except maybe in Coke. Apart from "waste not, want not", the reason to do this is some bourbons actually benefit from adding a bland alcoholic element, just as some bourbons are better with a dash of water or bunch of rocks. All these ideas are on a continuum. Of course, if they drink good as is, leave 'em.

Gary

anacostiakat
10-07-2007, 14:34

Lately? Probably the Michter's US1 SB. Thin.

Martian
10-11-2007, 14:45
BT (dank). Weller 12 (harsh for a 12 yr). In oppositon to some comments here, I give Corner Creek a thumbs up.

TNbourbon
10-11-2007, 15:38
I would have to say my most disappointing purchase was the first release of William LaRue Weller. I've pretty much loved or liked every BTAC offering up to that point and the WLW was just something I could never get my tastebuds around.

I have the first bottle still opened. It's probably been over a year. I think I'll go back tonight and give it a go.

If nothing changed i'll need to ask Gary to give me some guidance as to what to mix this with to give me something a bit more enjoyable.

Same experience here with the '05 bottling, though the '06 was far superior. I 'enjoyed' the '05 almost exclusively 1:1:1 with Stagg and water. Pretty good, actually. And Stagg's pretty hard to drink very often neat, anyway.

RedVette
10-11-2007, 16:42
Jim Beam Small Batch. Great looking bottle. I saw it in a liquor store in Australia and thought I hit the Mother Lode. I had never seen it before so I assumed I found a dusty bottle of unobtainium. Only after I got back to the states did I notice the "Port Added" on the label. Holy Cow, this is an awful drink.

Low proof, young whiskey with Port. yuck.

Caradog
01-22-2008, 13:26
Corner Creek, should have poured it in the creek. But I remebered I really like to fish.

Oh yeah - these guys got me right around the Holidays - maybe it was the Pappy-shaped bottle, or the green glass.

Actually the back of the label starts, '"In the tradition of the great wine importers" which leads me to think they just stuck it in a wine bottle. It also says, "For Marvin and Sydney" - for Alvin is more like it. The Chipmunk.

Another one is Jefferson's - yikes. I was flush a while ago, and headed out to LeNell's, and threw this in with some others, maybe 'cause I'd visited Monticello. What was the taste - Iodine? Strychnine? I actually brought it back (!) with a busted cork floating in it, thinking maybe the taste was a production problem. LeNell took a swig and said, "Nah, that's Jefferson's." "Very Small Batch" - with good reason.

Between these two, I don't know if I'll ever buy another bottle from a distillery I can't find on a map...an exception and hat-over-heart for the Hirsch 16 still around from the old Michter's.

NickAtMartinis
01-22-2008, 13:31
It was called Kentucy ___________ XO. It was horrible. It tasted like they scraped in the inside of the barrel and put it in the bottle. It was some nasty stuff. I guess that's what happens when you go with a company that purchases its barrels from a distiller. I've learned from this, trust me.

HighTower
01-22-2008, 13:52
Jim Beam Small Batch. Great looking bottle. I saw it in a liquor store in Australia and thought I hit the Mother Lode. I had never seen it before so I assumed I found a dusty bottle of unobtainium. Only after I got back to the states did I notice the "Port Added" on the label. Holy Cow, this is an awful drink.

Low proof, young whiskey with Port. yuck.
Rob, I could have warned you off that crap. We lost Knob Creek and they gave us that shit instead. :hot:
More importantly, where were you in Aus and why didn't you call us??:grin:
I have real bourbon at my house!
P.S. You should have opted for the McKenna, which is Four Roses juice

Scott

felthove
01-22-2008, 13:58
Biggest disappointments for me were the times I dropped $50 for Blanton's and $50 for a Black Maple Hill Small Batch. Kept thinking about the other 2 bottles I could have picked up for $25 a piece. Don't regret the $50 for Bookers and Pappy 15, however.

spun_cookie
01-22-2008, 15:30
Both of the Woodsford Master's I got.... $100 a pop and they taste like a old penny.... :puke:

Jazzhead
01-22-2008, 17:54
Biggest disappointment I can remember was a Michter's Jug, that I found in the back room of a mom and pop on the White Horse Pike a year or so ago. They had several unopened cases of Michter's jugs, and I thought I had hit the mother lode! I bought one jug to sample, fully intending to bunker down a bunch. Lucky thing I tried one first, 'cuz it was flippin' vile. The ceramic jug was no doubt to blame, it was totally off and undrinkable. Musty is the best word to describe it.

I was actually fool enough to buy a second jug, thinking maybe I'd mishandled the cork. The second jug I treated with kid gloves, carefully extracting the ancient cork intact. I poured a glass with excitement, took a sip, and spat it out in horror. Musty, dusty, dank, awful.

I've had a terrible bottle of Dant BIB lately, but it was the nectar of the gods compared to that Michter's!

Gillman
01-22-2008, 18:07
That's really too bad. Having a tasted a number of those and other brands packaged the same way, I'm convinced that the porcelain or earthernware container is to blame. They were not designed to hold whiskey so long of course. I think their porosity allowed air in and it oxidised the whiskey. This is a risk with old (glass) bottles too, where air gets in through corks or loose closures. Still, once in a while you will get one that is good. It is the serendipity factor.

Gary

smokinjoe
01-22-2008, 18:11
Easy one for me. Old Whiskey River.

JOE

birdman1099
01-22-2008, 20:10
for me...

Wild Turkey Kentuckt Spirit.

StraightBoston
01-22-2008, 20:16
Jazzhead and Gary--

Combined, you hit my worst -- J.W. Dant in a milk glass decanter off of eBay. Tastes of basement more than bourbon.

(Saving grace was that I won with a bid of $1.99.)

Sorry to see all of the EC18-haters on this therad -- in spite of the sour finish it's one of my favorite pours. I wonder how much variation by barrel there is in this expression. I'm about to finish a bottle and I just picked up its replacement on sale ($24!) so we'll see...

Old Lamplighter
01-22-2008, 22:16
Of the 3 bottles of BT I have purchased, 2 were very disappointing and the 3rd wasn't far behind. I still have a half bottle of the last one and it is used strictly for mixing.

Someone in this thread described it as "dank". I would add "musty" to that very apt description. I know BT has heavy support herein......no offense intended, just my experience. All other BT products personally consumed have been most excellent and there are more than a few in my reserves.

Tennessee Dave
01-23-2008, 06:26
Hirsch 16 yo gold foil. To think I could have bought 4 Old Weller Antiques for this, geez!:hot:

burbankbrewer
01-23-2008, 08:41

I just bought a bottle of ORVW 90. When I got to the checkout the cashier saw the cap was split at the top and some even leaked out. I didn't even notice it till he said something. It must have been in back. From now on I will carefully inspect the caps or corks.

Sycamore Tree
01-23-2008, 21:00
Woodford, Basil Hayden's and Bulliet are certainly the bottom three of the 60 or so bourbons and ryes I own and the hundred others I've had. I'd rather have Old Crow.

Totally agree on Basil Hayden's -just bad and didn't try to figure out why I didn't like it, I would take Evan williams or Ezra over it any day. After buying it, I find it funny when bartenders say: we got Basil Hayden's--like it is good or something

Same exactly with Woodford. I was expecting a lot more and wound up very bummed. for such a fancy looking bottle and name I was thinking why does it taste much simpler, flat and muted compared to an Old Charter?

OTOH, I like Bulleit. The taste notes aren't what I would spec out per se, however it goes down easy and has a unique taste that I found appealing.

Frodo
01-24-2008, 14:04
Sorry to see all of the EC18-haters on this therad -- in spite of the sour finish it's one of my favorite pours. I wonder how much variation by barrel there is in this expression. I'm about to finish a bottle and I just picked up its replacement on sale ($24!) so we'll see...

I've only had one bottle of the EC18 but it was unlike any bourbon I've ever had. VERY dry. I like dry, but I can see why some bourbon enthusiasts may not take to it. It is different...

Slob
01-24-2008, 14:21
I'd have to go with Bulleit, as well. I can't say I didn't like it, but I definitely expected more. I forget what I paid for it, but I remember wishing I had just bought another bottle of Maker's instead.

OscarV
01-24-2008, 15:41
I'd have to go with Bulleit, as well. I can't say I didn't like it, but I definitely expected more. I forget what I paid for it, but I remember wishing I had just bought another bottle of Maker's instead.

Well, yeah, OK,...I can see that.
But Builleit is a local thing, as far as the mid point between West-Central KY and Mid-Central KY, Builleit is an OK Bourbon not only for Friday Nights but for the rest of the week to.

gr8erdane
01-25-2008, 01:35
Thinking WAY back as I've been pretty lucky on purchases in the past few years:

I bought a bottle of Johnny Drum 15yr old that I think is corked. Drew has offered to replace it for me but I keep forgetting to bring it to Bardstown...

Then there was my first Woodford Reserve. It was from one of the batches much discussed as disappointing in an old thread. The next one was MUCH better. And yes, I drank all the bad one thinking of all the sober children in Africa...

Most recently I bought a dusty Seelbach Decanter of Ezra Brooks that tastes more of rum than whiskey but not bad for rum...still....

cowdery
01-25-2008, 13:44
An office chair I paid $700 for. The one I have now is just as good and I paid $100 for it.

Oh, you mean whiskey. McCormick Straight Bourbon Whiskey. The plastic bottle should have been the tip-off.

Everman75
01-27-2008, 11:32
I know this will irk some people, but here goes...Very Old Barton 100. Nasty! Tasted like rubbing alcohol with a drop of maple syrup. What was so disapointing about it is that it gets great reviews. I would understand if I bought a 750ml bottle of "Big Al's Bourbon Whiskey" for $6.99.

Just not my thing I guess.

ILLfarmboy
01-27-2008, 12:25
I'm not really sure if this counts but in the late winter of '92 or maybe it was '93 I purchased 50% ownership in a fifth of Black Velvet. It was about 2 AM. and the bars had just closed. We, that would be, the girl I had eyes for and a friend along with his girlfriend were all headed to my buddies apartment. We stopped at a convenience store to pick up more booze. I was low on cash and my friend's girlfriend Peggy drank Black Velvet & Coke, so Peggy and I, decided to split the cost of a fifth.

I tried in neat at first but quickly decided to drown it in pop. That incident is the primary reason I haven't explored Canadian whiskey much beyond CR.

TNbourbon
01-27-2008, 18:07
Plainly, my most disappointing bourbon/whiskey purchase remains the Woodford Reserve Four Grain (Parts I and II). No matter how many 'whiskey of the year' notations it garners, or how many Scotch lovers care for it, the simple fact is that I don't like it -- and I don't like it at nearly $90 a bottle.
The only good news is that I've managed to 'dump' all of my bottles but the one I have open, for something near my cost.
That fact that I bought it, I hope, signals my willingness to support new products and encourage new thinking by the distilleries (I bought several overpriced Rittenhouse 21yo ryes, too). But, buying a product a second time is the 'seal of approval', and I haven't fallen victim again on this one (these).

squire
01-27-2008, 18:35
I've sprung for the high priced stuff but at some point decided I wouldn't buy anything that wouldn't be consumed within the foreseeable future. So, no more "collectibles" for me.

Squire

Jazzhead
01-28-2008, 19:54
I know this will irk some people, but here goes...Very Old Barton 100. Nasty! Tasted like rubbing alcohol with a drop of maple syrup. What was so disapointing about it is that it gets great reviews. I would understand if I bought a 750ml bottle of "Big Al's Bourbon Whiskey" for $6.99.

Just not my thing I guess.

I just finished off this weekend my lone bottle of Very Old Barton 100, that I obtained in a trade with a fellow SBer about a year ago. It has been savored slowly and well, for who knows when I'll ever see it again. Sorry you didn't care for it; I think it's one fine dram! Shucks, I miss that late veteran already.

cigarnv
01-29-2008, 03:13
Woodford Reserve.... I have just never figured out this bourbon. Also Makers has never done it for me...

capodice
01-29-2008, 08:27
Without a doubt, Michter's American Whiskey. I was so excited for this 'unblended' old-style brass bolts whiskey. Two thick rocks glasses in a backyard gazebo on an autumn night.

Such a bad break. It was sweet, cloying in fact, and finished up like a bad mushroom. This is the first and only whiskey that I could not finish. Broke my heart. Didn't get out of bed for a week. Waved the servants away, unplugged the phone. Only after a bracing week of eating boiled chicken and sipping beef-broth mixed with Eagle Rare was I able to enter the world again

cigarnv
01-29-2008, 09:47
Like you I am not sure how one could drink Michter's American Whiskey

B1bomber
01-29-2008, 11:44
I know this won't be popular with a lot of people but I was greatly disappointed by Four Roses Small Batch. I have to confess that I didn't even finish my glass. Got about half-way through and concluded I really wasn't enjoying it at all. I actually love the FR Single Barrel and figured the Small Batch would be a close relative, albeit slightly cheaper. Instead I found it rather bland and not worth finishing considering there's so many others in my cabinet that I enjoy so much more.

JRomain
01-29-2008, 18:06
Booker's - One-dimensionally bitter with charred wood and unclean to boot.

Lots of others like Kentucky Vintage, Pure Kentucky XO, Eagle Rare, WT American Spirit. Here's to hoping my unopened Parkers Heritage isn't a dud.

cowdery
01-29-2008, 20:55
Back in the day, I think someone reported that Michter's American Whiskey tastes a lot like that Conecuh Ridge Alabama Whiskey.

ACDetroit
02-03-2008, 18:42
I know this won't be popular with a lot of people but I was greatly disappointed by Four Roses Small Batch. I have to confess that I didn't even finish my glass.

I'll second that Bomber! I'm half way through a glass as I write this and it is very disappointing!! I too love the Single Barrel but the Small Batch just ain't cutting it with me (just weak)!

Cheers!

Tony (I'll finish it) Curtis

spun_cookie
02-03-2008, 19:50
I'll second that Bomber! I'm half way through a glass as I write this and it is very disappointing!! I too love the Single Barrel but the Small Batch just ain't cutting it with me (just weak)!

Cheers!

Tony (I'll finish it) Curtis

The small batch seems to be diverse from bottle to bottle and region to regions (I am sure certain bottles hit certain regions).

I found the small batch to be quite pleasant with decent complexity.

Neither the small nor the single touch that of the 40th that I have had, but they are at least as good as the worst bottle of WLW Centinal I have and that's not bad....

Emerald (I did finish it) Adair

mathews
02-04-2008, 12:25
I just purchased a bottle of Evan Williams No. 10. It is not much better than their typical 7 yr. bottling. Fortunately, it was only 10.99, so I will use it as a base for mixing.:shocked:

Sijan
02-07-2008, 14:37
Hirsch 16yo Gold Foil

EC18

OGD BIB (National)

The latter wasn't bad, but was extremely disappointing too this fan of OGD BIB, esp. given that I've acquired several half gallon jugs of it on a road trip but found out afterwards that it was far too woody for my taste.

tsangster
02-07-2008, 15:36
Blanton's - incredibly average with a premium price tag.

wadewood
02-07-2008, 18:10
Corner Creek

darkluna
02-07-2008, 18:18
Tangle Ridge is high on my list of most disappointing. I was interested in it because it is apparently made from 100% rye and aged 10 years. But apparently they then re-barrel it in sherry casks and then blend it with "flavorings". How does it taste? Overly sweet and vanilla flavored! Not recommended.

Rughi
02-07-2008, 19:11
OGD BIB (National)

The latter wasn't bad, but was extremely disappointing too this fan of OGD BIB, esp. given that I've acquired several half gallon jugs of it on a road trip but found out afterwards that it was far too woody for my taste.

Dan,
Upon how many bottles do you base your opinion? I've had ND OGD from the '60s through the '80s and can't say any of them were particularly woody. I seem to remember from one of the many times you've dissed on the ND OGD that your bottle was labeled as an 8 yo, which I believe was a special edition when they had a serious backlog of aging inventory.

On second thought, yes sirree Bob, that OGD sucks donkeys, you'd better offload it on some sucker. Feel free to PM me, cause I'm your fool.

Roger

shyster512
02-07-2008, 19:30
Dan
I will agree to take the Hirsch Gold Foil off your hands. It should be disposed of properly.

ggilbertva
02-07-2008, 20:26
Hirsch 16yo Gold Foil

EC18

OGD BIB (National)

I agree, the Hirsch Gold Foil is just plain funk. I thought it had mellowed out over time but I tried it again a couple weeks ago and it has such a bitter almost metallic mid palate that I find it undrinkable. I've had the blue wax and it was outstanding so something definitely happened between blue/gold wax and gold foil.

spun_cookie
02-07-2008, 21:08
I agree, the Hirsch Gold Foil is just plain funk. I thought it had mellowed out over time but I tried it again a couple weeks ago and it has such a bitter almost metallic mid palate that I find it undrinkable. I've had the blue wax and it was outstanding so something definitely happened between blue/gold wax and gold foil.

I'm not sure I would call it funk. The one I have is not bad, but not as good as the previous two. It is not worth the $100-250 that sells for... but funk seems a little harsh... though you could have a bottle that is contaminated...

ggilbertva
02-07-2008, 22:03
I'm not sure I would call it funk. The one I have is not bad, but not as good as the previous two. It is not worth the $100-250 that sells for... but funk seems a little harsh... though you could have a bottle that is contaminated...

Well, I thought of another 4 letter word (:shithappens:), but didn't want to be vulgar. It's possible I have a bad bottle but considering the feedback from others, I'm not sure that's the case. Taste is certainly subjective and in my case...that whiskey is doo doo....or.....:shithappens:

spun_cookie
02-10-2008, 19:45
Fair enough....

Sijan
02-11-2008, 15:14
Dan,
Upon how many bottles do you base your opinion? I've had ND OGD from the '60s through the '80s and can't say any of them were particularly woody. I seem to remember from one of the many times you've dissed on the ND OGD that your bottle was labeled as an 8 yo, which I believe was a special edition when they had a serious backlog of aging inventory.

Just the one half-gallon bottle that I've opened. This OGD is from the '90s, I think. The 8 year old label isn't really part of the main label, I don't think. I think it is on the cap or elsewhere on the bottle. I'll have to take a look when I get home.

NickAtMartinis
02-11-2008, 18:19
Frotunately, I haven't had too many dissapointing purchases but the one that sticks out in my mind is EWSB 1997. Although it grew on me a bit, I haven't touched it in months. Also, I was a bit displeased to find out it was only 86 proof.

Lot B I found a bit dissapointing as well but I still feel it's pretty good bourbon, just not for $42.99 which is the average around here. Though, I have found it for $38.99 which prompted me to pick up a bottle. Again, it comes down to where it fits in the Van Winkle family. When it comes down to it, Lot B is the odd man out.

birdman1099
02-11-2008, 19:29
Yhe only one I've bought and found to be undrinkable was Ezra B. 12 yr.

I can't seem to give that stuff away !!!!:grin:

Sijan
02-11-2008, 20:14
So I took a look at my disfavored OGD BIB (National) bottling. On the faux tax stamp that is stuck to the oversized cap it says, in black print letters that were clearly added later, "Aged 8 Years / Bottled / Fall of 1989" That is the only indication of age - it's not anywhere on the label itself.

Rughi
02-11-2008, 20:25
So I took a look at my disfavored OGD BIB (National) bottling. On the faux tax stamp that is stuck to the oversized cap it says, in black print letters that were clearly added later, "Aged 8 Years / Bottled / Fall of 1989" That is the only indication of age - it's not anywhere on the label itself.

I believe Grand Dad was designed to be sold at 6 years, and since they went to the trouble to affix an auxiliary label on which they could have said anything (truthful), it seems that it probably is indeed 8 years and not 10 or more. I'm surprised that you got a woody bottle...

Roger

jinenjo
02-13-2008, 12:48
I'd be curious to try an OGD that's thought to be too woody. Any ND version of Dad I've tasted has been nothing less than top notch, all proof levels notwithstanding.

To ring in with my most disappointing purchase, it would have to be a recent--and much anticipated--acquisition of Wild Turkey 12 year old, gold label. I literally had a dream of buying this ambrosia once I knew I could get my hands on some.

Alas, once I opened the bottle and put it to my lips I immediately thought something was off. The cork looked funny and decayed to me, so I imagined it might be cork taint. Nosing it gave no indication of what was to come, but there was certainly an odd and unpleasant taste on the finish.

I took it to the whiskey group to hear the opinions of others who've tasted the 12yo before. They seemed to agree that it simply was too much wood.
In the weeks since I have revisited the bottle hoping it may have mellowed. Not yet.

The disappointment was so severe, I emailed Wild Turkey, voicing my strong complaint. They never responded to my email.

Sijan
02-13-2008, 21:12
Interesting - I've never thought WT12 had too much wood, and I'm fairly sensitive to woody bourbon.

Eggman
02-16-2008, 08:13
Howdy,

I was slightly disappointed in Dickels 12. Why, I don't know; it's supposed to have won many recent tast contests. Give me JBB.

Eggman

razerburnt
02-16-2008, 19:56
I here a lot of good comments of the weller antique 107 but the one I opened had a, let's see, moldy leaf taste. really undrinkable to me. anyone else ever gotten this?

Randy

NickAtMartinis
02-16-2008, 20:23
I here a lot of good comments of the weller antique 107 but the one I opened had a, let's see, moldy leaf taste. really undrinkable to me. anyone else ever gotten this?

Randy

Randy, I've had 4-5 bottles of Weller Antique over the past 6-8 months and I have never had any of the flavors that you've mentioned. That's definitely an off bottle you've got there if what you describe is true.

Bring it back and get another.

bluesbassdad
02-17-2008, 18:44
The words "moldy leaf" suggest cork taint (as from storing the bottle on its side) to me.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

birdman1099
02-18-2008, 06:29
I tried Elmet T. Lee for the first time a couple days ago. Not to my likeing.

NickAtMartinis
02-18-2008, 11:46
The words "moldy leaf" suggest cork taint (as from storing the bottle on its side) to me.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

I thought the same, only Weller Antique is a screw top.

Rughi
02-18-2008, 11:58

Randy

Is your bottle from 2-3 years ago?

There was a period about then where many of us speculated that an earthiness or mustiness was part of the BT taste. But then it...disappeared. As far as I know, we never really explained it - it's not like the rickhouses were all inundated by flood in that period, or anything.

This was talked about some in the BT BOTM thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=112177#post112177) and this thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8317&highlight=sazerac+musty).

Roger

NickAtMartinis
02-18-2008, 12:12

There was a period about then where many of us speculated that an earthiness or mustiness was part of the BT taste. But then it...disappeared. As far as I know, we never really explained it - it's not like the rickhouses were all inundated by flood in that period, or anything.

This was talked about some in the BT BOTM thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=112177#post112177) and this thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8317&highlight=sazerac+musty).

Roger

I remember recently hearing the same thing about Blanton's.

razerburnt
02-18-2008, 16:47

This was talked about some in the BT BOTM thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=112177#post112177)and this thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8317&highlight=sazerac+musty).

Roger
I purchased it about a year ago. Earthiness is a good word for it. I got another one on Sat. and it is fine. actually, more than fine.

Randy

ggilbertva
02-18-2008, 17:02
Never had that problem with Weller Antique. I had a bit of that with an ETL that I purchased. It subsided some once the bottle had been open a while. I just used it as a mixer but probably won't purchase another bottle.

ACDetroit
02-18-2008, 17:09
Hey Greg? Do you know if the ETL had gold foil or wax on the top? I just noticed they do not dip the ETL any more! I wonder if the Gold Foil seal is the death note to all good bottlings?? :lol:

Tony

ggilbertva
03-16-2008, 18:34
Hey Greg? Do you know if the ETL had gold foil or wax on the top? I just noticed they do not dip the ETL any more! I wonder if the Gold Foil seal is the death note to all good bottlings?? :lol:

Tony

Tony,

Sorry for the delayed response...been a while since I've been on SB. My bottle of ETL was dipped in wax.

Black85L98
03-16-2008, 19:39
Yellowstone NASTY it has no real taste to give any notes. It ruins a good coke.

HighTower
03-17-2008, 03:44
:slappin:
I like that.....it ruins a good coke.......:slappin:

Scott

SMOWK
03-17-2008, 14:15
My 2 biggest disappointments are:

Buffalo Trace (the regular stuff). Even for the price I thought it was ALMOST undrinkable. I thought it would be sitting on the shelf next to the rum for at least 6 months, but then I remembered old drunkard dad...give it to him. Solved all my problems.

And the PVW20. It's good don't get me wrong, but not worth the price at all...I love each and every one of the Van Winkle's as much as the other, but the pappy 20 let me down.

The funny thing is...Buffalo Trace produces my top 3

STAGG
ORVW (ANY)
WELLER (ANY)

SMOWK

kickert
12-05-2008, 18:19
The discussion of of musty blantons revived this thread for me.

For me, Blanton's was the biggest disappoint ever. The first bottle I had was musty and tasted like a wet basement. A friend let me try a different bottle - it was better, but very flat for a $50 bourbon. It amazes me that people who don't know much about bourbon, but like to buy expensive bottles always go to Blanton's and Woodford. To me, both of those are extremely flat and over priced.

funknik
12-05-2008, 18:43
Old Whiskey River.

I know that this bourbon gets very little love from you guys, but it's not a bad pour....Just amazingly overpriced for what it is....it's unrefined and rough -- what I imagined whiskey was like before I ever drank any: a rugged, cowboy sort of drink. If this was a third of the price, I wouldn't have been disappointed at all.

However, Sazerac Jr is the biggest disappointment I've had with any libation....check out the Sazerac Customer Service thread to follow the action ther.

polyamnesia
12-05-2008, 18:47
i won't really even consider things that are obviously PREORDAINED to be disappointing....(Heaven Hill white label, charcoal'd...!)...or simply unimpressive pours like regular JD or JB white...

but i was really disappointed recently with my last two bottles of MY FAVORITE BOTTLING and DISTILLERY....Wild Turkey (101).

even this current RB is simply not the same as last years....what is going on ! or is it my tongue???

even more blah bland disappointed (again) is the basic BUFFALO TRACE....i really don't see the big deal to this pour. it's not BAD. but very DISAPPOINTING, esp. at $20.99 a bottle. would rather spend $14.99 on OGDBIB....and for THAT i'd pay....well....$20.99 (which is what i get 114 for!).:rolleyes:

bvscfanatic
12-05-2008, 18:52
As far as Bourbon goes, my greatest disappointment was Jim Beam (white label). Knowing how popular it is --- there was my first mistake --- I decided to buy a bottle.

A year later, I can't get rid of it. Can't get anybody else to drink it, and can't force myself to either. Turns out that there are cheaper bourbons that I like much better. But, hey, I'm still a novice at this.

I was thinking of vatting it with something, but why ruin something good by vatting it with 4 yr old JB? If I want to water down a good bourbon, I might as well do it with pure water.

fishnbowljoe
12-05-2008, 18:53
Woodford Reserve Sonoma Cutrer. What was I thinking? Joe

Josh
12-08-2008, 12:34
1792. Blech. Came in a perfume bottle and tasted like perfume.

Yeah I know I used that same line to describe 4R Sm Batch Saturday night, so sue me.:lol:

polyamnesia
12-08-2008, 16:07

Yeah I know I used that same line to describe 4R Sm Batch Saturday night, so sue me.:lol:

wow, that shows the incredible beauty of diverse taste, mashbills, tongues, bottlings, etc etc

i thought RR1792 was subtle, warm, creamy....maybe i had a rare good bottle or for you, vice versa....!:grin:

Josh
12-08-2008, 16:15
wow, that shows the incredible beauty of diverse taste, mashbills, tongues, bottlings, etc etc

i thought RR1792 was subtle, warm, creamy....maybe i had a rare good bottle or for you, vice versa....!:grin:

Maybe a little of both! Of all the SB's I've seen reviewed on here, I think 1792 has shown the widest range of reactions, which leads me to believe that they can vary wildly. I'm willing to give it another try here soon, but it was a nasty, nasty experience, and I am the biggest Barton fiend there is. Only bottle I've ever actually poured out!

polyamnesia
12-08-2008, 16:22
Maybe a little of both! Of all the SB's I've seen reviewed on here, I think 1792 has shown the widest range of reactions, which leads me to believe that they can vary wildly. I'm willing to give it another try here soon, but it was a nasty, nasty experience, and I am the biggest Barton fiend there is. Only bottle I've ever actually poured out!

yes, that must have been an odd bottle! but then, last year was my first year to really explore alot of top shelf (and middle....and lower)...about 25+ bottles.....and this was in the top 5 for sure. and heck, here i am finding this latest OGD114 being still topnotch, but not STELLAR like the one i had a month ago!

one can never tell. but i like that gamble....bourbon isn't made by robots. not yet at least!

kickert
12-16-2008, 08:01
I had PVW 20 and found it to be very uninspiring. It cost $99 and we split it between 8 people. After trying GTS the same week, I so wish we had decided to split that. Even if we had paid $99 for GTS, it would have been a deal compared to the PVW 20.

funknik
12-16-2008, 08:10

I thought this was a solid, if uninspiring, pour....very balanced -- no standout characteristics. Very smooth and tasty, though.

theDon
12-16-2008, 08:55
Late 80's I W Harper Gold Medal. Tried mixing and did not work. Vatted with Tom Moore BIB and it is drinkable.

Rughi
12-16-2008, 09:23
Late 80's I W Harper Gold Medal.

I've had ups and downs with this era of Harpers and Charters. There was a quality control problem that I've read stem from the fermentation vessels.

It's too bad, because as some of us who organized barrel purchases found, an upscale 4yo is a great niche, if there are the right barrels from which to choose.

Roger

theDon
12-16-2008, 10:36
Were the fermentation vessels possibly old shoes? Cause that is the overwhelming flavor I have gotten from these bottles.

bvscfanatic
12-16-2008, 12:27
T. W. Samuels

Not sure whether I am more disappointed in the bourbon, or in myself for being so slow to learn.

Of course, sometimes you do find an inexpensive bourbon that delivers more than its price tag might suggest. This was NOT one of those occasions.

onmytrack
12-20-2008, 16:00
No contest. It's Hirsch 16 y/o gold foil.

I won't bore the old-timers by rehashing the story.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Dave has said all that needs to be said on this topic. Too bad I didn't see this earlier, I'm stuck with damn near a full bottle. Has anyone tried it as a bathroom cleaner?

Jim

Solomon2
06-09-2009, 16:41
A tie between Basil Hayden's (insipid and simple) and ERSB. The BH I use as a mixer, and the ERSB I sold to a friend - now a former friend. :(

Solomon2
06-09-2009, 17:05
I'm surprised. I think I've bought three 1792 bottles, all from the same batch, I think. 1 as gifts. It lacks some rye punch, but I've never been disappointed. I think it's comparable to ETL - a bit sweeter and less hot, perhaps, but similar.

Josh
06-09-2009, 18:23
I'm surprised. I think I've bought three 1792 bottles, all from the same batch, I think. 1 as gifts. It lacks some rye punch, but I've never been disappointed. I think it's comparable to ETL - a bit sweeter and less hot, perhaps, but similar.

Yeah, I've had it since, and it was great. I don't know what was going on with that bottle. I even encouraged a friend to pour her bottle out!

I think it's like a more sophisticated VOB. I can see the resemblence to ELT, esp with the sweetness, but I think it has that Barton je ne sais quoi that sets it apart.

fishnbowljoe
06-09-2009, 18:56
I think I may have posted this before, but a long time ago, I bought a handle of Gran Legacy bourbon. It's a house brand bourbon bottled for CVS. I think vodka has more flavor than that stuff. :slappin: Joe

B3Nut
06-09-2009, 19:28
My vote goes to a 200ml of Early Times "Kentucky Whisky" I picked up out of curiosity when I was first getting into bourbon. It didn't make me retch, but didn't move me at all either...just flat and boring with a good bit of alcohol burn neat. It wasn't all that great in Coke either. I guess the aging in 30% used cooperage wasn't too kind to this whisky. EW black was much better at that price point.

DeanSheen
06-09-2009, 20:14
So far it's been either the PS select barrels of AAA and OWA 7/107.

The Weller was smoke and char and the AAA was just nasty. Horrible. I guess I have to have another go at the AAA. I'm still kinda on the fence about the Antique.

sailor22
06-10-2009, 11:23
Ancient Age 10 year - after everything I had heard I expected..... something. It was just so plain and featureless it made Basil Hayden's seem dynamic in comparison. I have had well water with more flavor.

OscarV
06-10-2009, 12:19
The Weller was smoke and char.
I'm still kinda on the fence about the Antique.

I know what you mean, sometimes I swear I'll always have a bottle of OWA on hand and other times I say I'll never buy another one.

funknik
06-10-2009, 12:22
Ancient Age 10 year - after everything I had heard I expected..... something. It was just so plain and featureless it made Basil Hayden's seem dynamic in comparison. I have had well water with more flavor.
I'm very surprised that you found the AAA 10yr lacking flavor -- be sure it was the 10yr not the 10 star which is the inferior product. Kickert had called the AAA 10yr the "thi nnest" bourbon he'd ever had, but called the pour he had out of my bottle one of "his 5 favorite bourbons" . . . there could be some serious differences between bottles.

To update, I will say that the Russell's Reserve 90 is my most disappointing purchase to date. Not because I thought it was awful (although I didn't like it much) but just that I expected so much more from a well-aged WT product -- I thought it was very one-dimensional and I didn't particularly care for that dimension. Oh, well . . . win some, lose some.

OscarV
06-10-2009, 12:25
To update, I will say that the Russell's Reserve 90 is my most disappointing purchase to date. Not because I thought it was awful (although I didn't like it much) but just that I expected so much more from a well-aged WT product -- I thought it was very one-dimensional and I didn't particularly care for that dimension. Oh, well . . . win some, lose some.

Ditto.
I can't put my finger on it, maybe WT doesn't want RR to have a WT taste profile.

DeanSheen
06-10-2009, 13:44
I know what you mean, sometimes I swear I'll always have a bottle of OWA on hand and other times I say I'll never buy another one.

Well two things confound this even more for me. After letting the OWA bottle breathe for a few weeks it wasnt nearly as bad. I have to con Callmeox out of a pour from his 200ml AAA as he says it's good. Maybe I just got a bad bottle, I dunno. I initially bought the Ten Star thinking I had found something and I dont like that stuff either.

The other issue for me is that Old Rip 10/107 reminds me very much of Antique. Now I like the 10/107 but I keep thinking I ought to be able to trick myself into liking the 7/107 and save some coin.

On the save the coin tip, my OGD 114 really changed nicely after sitting for awhile, got a bit more carmely. I'm starting to believe this will be my high proof value pour against which all others are judged.

hectic1
06-10-2009, 15:33
For me it has been Maker's Mark...there really just isn't much going on there. When I first tried it I had too high of expectations I guess...I just have always heard that Maker's Mark is a good bourbon...after tasting ETL, BT, VW Lot B, FRSmB, and others it just doesn't do ANYTHING for me. The only thing I use that bourbon for is Manhattan's now...:(

funknik
06-10-2009, 15:33
Well two things confound this even more for me. After letting the OWA bottle breathe for a few weeks it wasnt nearly as bad. I have to con Callmeox out of a pour from his 200ml AAA as he says it's good. Maybe I just got a bad bottle, I dunno. I initially bought the Ten Star thinking I had found something and I dont like that stuff either.

The other issue for me is that Old Rip 10/107 reminds me very much of Antique. Now I like the 10/107 but I keep thinking I ought to be able to trick myself into liking the 7/107 and save some coin.

On the save the coin tip, my OGD 114 really changed nicely after sitting for awhile, got a bit more carmely. I'm starting to believe this will be my high proof value pour against which all others are judged.I am very much in your line of thinking, although not necessarily in total agreement. OGD 114 is THE BEST value pour I know . . .tons of caramel & enough wood to keep me happy. I felt the reverse on the OWA vs. ORVW . . . the Old Rip was a little too woody for me, but the OWA tastes just right . . . I need to give the ORVW another try & I bet I'll love it.

Definitely give the AAA 10yr another try . . . it is sweet, simple & luxurious.

Stones
06-10-2009, 16:27
I too find MM very unimpressive, i have a nearly full bottle that i just can't get back to after opening. Too much anticipation too i think.

I also opened a bottle of Frankfort Centennial recently and my first taste was dismal, i knew it wouldn't be as good as the Louisville bottling but i did expect it to be better than i was tasting.... at that time... i let it sit for a week and WOW, it turned into something very different and amazing! So initially it was very, very disappointing but on the second taste it renewed my expectations. :yum:

Josh
06-10-2009, 19:42
On the save the coin tip, my OGD 114 really changed nicely after sitting for awhile, got a bit more carmely. I'm starting to believe this will be my high proof value pour against which all others are judged.

I am very much in your line of thinking, although not necessarily in total agreement. OGD 114 is THE BEST value pour I know . . .tons of caramel & enough wood to keep me happy. I felt the reverse on the OWA vs. ORVW . . . the Old Rip was a little too woody for me, but the OWA tastes just right . . . I need to give the ORVW another try & I bet I'll love it.

Could eveybody please stop talking about OGD 114?:cry:

BourbonRob
06-10-2009, 20:53
Elijah Craig & Bulleit for me... Sounds like a common theme, but both were way overpriced for their substance.

p_elliott
06-11-2009, 07:53
EC12 tasted like a cheap bottle of OF 86 I had to force myself to finish it. The first bourbon I really considered pouring down the sink.

Single-Barrel
06-11-2009, 08:00
Hancock's president reserve, way to fruity:frown:

AVB
06-11-2009, 08:52
EC12 tasted like a cheap bottle of OF 86 I had to force myself to finish it. The first bourbon I really considered pouring down the sink.
If you ever get anymore I'll take it off your hands. It's as close as I have to an "everyday" bourbon.

p_elliott
06-11-2009, 08:57
If you ever get anymore I'll take it off your hands. It's as close as I have to an "everyday" bourbon.

As best I can tell it's a love or hate relationship.

DeanSheen
06-11-2009, 09:25

I dont like it either. After working my way through half a bottle my brother in law came into town for the weekend and I foisted it on him.

He didnt mind one bit, and I didnt say a word! He also helped me dispose of my EWSB much to my delight.

Now I just need to have some more unsuspecting victims come over to help me get rid of my Old Overholt and AAA Ten Star.

Klepackage
06-11-2009, 11:49
I am very much in your line of thinking, although not necessarily in total agreement. OGD 114 is THE BEST value pour I know . . .tons of caramel & enough wood to keep me happy. I felt the reverse on the OWA vs. ORVW . . . the Old Rip was a little too woody for me, but the OWA tastes just right . . . I need to give the ORVW another try & I bet I'll love it.

OGD 114 is another weird bourbon for me. Sometimes, I love it. I had some after a good bottle of WTKS and it just continued the slightly burned butter taste. Other times, I taste cough syrup and some menthol. It's damned hard to beat the proof/price and I love the big mouth pour. I just fluctuate a lot with this bourbon.

ORVW 10/107 is one of my favorite bourbons. Whenever I can't decide, this is one of my go to pours. However, I now let EVERY wheated bourbon I pour breathe for a bit. I'll usually pour it and just slosh it around the glass for about 5 minutes before tasting. That seems to remove some of the harshness. It works wonders with the ORVW 10/107 and the barrel proof WLW.

I'm in agreement with Oscar on OWA 7/107. Dane's bottle tastes great. My last bottle tasted like Makers Mark with a healthy dose of Liquid Smoke poured in. The reason I still buy the ORVW 10/107 is because I have yet to be let down by it. I feel the ORVW 10/107 is also the best bourbon to showcase the power of a few drops of water.

sailor22
06-11-2009, 12:13
On a recent trip to Kentucky I picked up the AAA 10 yr and the AA BiB. I already had the 10 star and the AA 80 proofer.

I like AA and had high hopes for the 10yr, but out of all four AA products the 10 year was the worst - much less of the vanilla and carmel than is present in the others - or any flavor for that matter. Thin and watery without much flavor is probably the best description. With so many people liking the 10 year so much I can only assume my bottle is not typical.

Oh damn, I guess this means another trip to kentucky to get another sample.

camduncan
06-11-2009, 13:31

I had to laugh when I saw the above comments from 2007.... mostly because I'm still trying to empty those bottles two years later. I've been mixing the EC18 with coke just to get it finished. Interestingly, the best 'poured from a barrel' bourbon I tried in Kentucky last year was EC18, so I have no doubt it's just this particular bottle. I may have to take a leaf from Dane's book and vat it with a few other bourbons that need to be finished.
As for the Turkey Freedom.... It's still sitting in a display box next to a couple of unopened Russels Reserve 101's looking good. Earlier this year Randy Blank was the first person to try a taste in over 18 months. I'll let him offer his thoughts if he reads this and feels inclined.

Kevin
06-13-2009, 18:10
Didnt waste too much money, but TW Samuels 80pf from HH... *gag*

Eggman
06-17-2009, 01:58
Howdy,

Characterizing Knob Creek as "disappointing" would be an exaggeration, but only a slight exaggeration. KC was too citrus tasting to me and not worth the price of admission.

Eggman

Pieface
06-17-2009, 17:30
I think I'll have to say Booker's on this one. I'm glad I got it for the "Barrel Proof" experience but as I try more bourbons I'm finding I just don't return to this one.

Knocking it down a few proof points to alleviate the numbing power of the alcohol really shows how good OGD114 is by comparison. Perhaps as I gain more experience I will be able to appreciate it more but at this point it just seems one dimensional and too expensive.

Martian
06-22-2009, 12:35
It is interesting that Jim Murray gave AAA 10 Yr. 81 points in his 2008 Whiskey Bible and 95 points in his 2009 edition. That's a huge difference.

JamesW
06-22-2009, 19:58

I have the same reaction to the OWA. In fact I'm on the "I'll never buy another one" kick right now. I prefer the Weller SR to it right now even though I am partial to 100+ proof offerings.

unclebunk
08-28-2009, 09:18
I've been disappointed from time to time with something I've picked up but have usually managed to find some redeeming value in each bottle, even if I've vowed never to buy another. That is until last night when I cracked open a bottle of Old Bardstown that was given to me by a friend a few months ago. Man, talk about dogsh*t! Believe it or not, the nose actually wasn't too bad at first--dark cherries and a touch of maple syrup. But the taste was absolutely awful and harsh as can be. This is one bourbon that I'm not even sure will suffice as a mixer. Could be the very first bottle I've ever considered dumping down the drain.

spun_cookie
08-28-2009, 10:01
Woodford Reserves Master's Collection

The worse bourbon ever

OscarV
08-28-2009, 14:28
Woodford Reserves Master's Collection

The worse bourbon ever

Which one?
They are coming out with their 5th one soon.

spun_cookie
08-28-2009, 14:38
Which one?
They are coming out with their 5th one soon.

1, 2, And 3... I would not give 4 or 5 a chance for free...

If you dig the taste of old damaged pennies this is the juice for you.

unclebunk
08-28-2009, 14:41

Very funny! Now, I'm never going to get that thought out of my head when I finally get around to cracking my own bottle of Woodford.

OscarV
08-28-2009, 14:44
1, 2, And 3... I would not give 4 or 5 a chance for free...

The 5th one coming soon sounds interesting but I'll not buy any.
Did you see Cowdery's post about it? Thread titiled, "The New Woodford,...etc,...
I wanted to try last year's (was it last year?) Sweet Mash.
So I thought I would get 3 or 4 guys to split a bottle but no one was interested.

callmeox
08-28-2009, 15:30
The 5th one coming soon sounds interesting but I'll not buy any.
Did you see Cowdery's post about it? Thread titiled, "The New Woodford,...etc,...
I wanted to try last year's (was it last year?) Sweet Mash.
So I thought I would get 3 or 4 guys to split a bottle but no one was interested.

I'll go in on this years model with ya, Oscar. I think I can include one or two more guys in the bottle split.

OscarV
08-28-2009, 15:57
I'll go in on this years model with ya, Oscar. I think I can include one or two more guys in the bottle split.

Oh-Tay then, yeah this year's does sound very interesting.
I've never had any of the previous ones and some, like the first year Four Grain sounded awful.

hectic1
08-28-2009, 16:04
I was most disappointed recently in Four Roses Small Batch...too floral for me. I was also disappointed in customer service department at Binny's today...they wouldn't let me have a taste test of the PVW 23 year they had for some reason...the nerve of some people! ;)

OscarV
08-28-2009, 16:43
I was most disappointed recently in Four Roses Small Batch...

I'm with you on that one and I'm a big Four Roses fan.

gordymohr
08-28-2009, 16:57
Id like to jump in if I may, Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select was not what Id call an outstanding whiskey. I bought 2 bottles, and it just doesnt do anything for me. It seems watery? and tastes sort of metalic.

Maybe its me, but I prefer a stronger tasting, corn flavoured whiskey- Blantons has set the standard for me.

Any thoughts on WR gentlemen? Im still very new compared to most and havent tasted that many yet. Maybe my palate is not yet educated enough to appreciate WR.

I await your response.

Gordy

BourbonDave
08-29-2009, 07:55
I happen to be a fan of WR and OFS (Old Forerster Signature). It doesn't get alot of love on the sites, but it can be a bit one-dimensional. That metallic taste you mentioned is due to the fact that they use copper pots from Scotland.

If you want more flavor, get some OFS. You'll taste the connection to WR, but I think it has a little more personality and definetly more proof-90 vs 100. Another idea is to try OFBB.

To keep with the thread, my most dissapointing purchase has to have been Old Fitz 1849 (newest bottle charcoal filtered), it tasted like a sweet old stick. I'll also have to say Knob Creek didn't do it for me either, a bit too yeasty.

BBQ+Bourbon
09-13-2009, 09:25
The only really terrible bourbon I've owned is the Very Special Old Fitz I bought a couple weeks ago. It's a current bottling that has an awful taste that I can't explain. The nose and taste is so terrible I can't stick around long enough to decipher it. I mixed it 2:1 with coke and loaded it with ice but it was so bad I poured it out.

Another drink that's horrible is Yukon Jack. The local CVS put some stock on clearance at 75% off and I filled a shopping cart. Four or five bottles were Yukon Jack at $4 each. Drowned in Coke, it was tolerable. Small wonder they couldn't sell it at $16!

ErichPryde
09-13-2009, 11:55
The only really terrible bourbon I've owned is the Very Special Old Fitz I bought a couple weeks ago. It's a current bottling that has an awful taste that I can't explain. The nose and taste is so terrible I can't stick around long enough to decipher it. I mixed it 2:1 with coke and loaded it with ice but it was so bad I poured it out.

Is that the bottle that cracked? That could explain a lot.

tommyboy38
09-13-2009, 12:05
A fairly recent bottling of Cabin Still that totally blew. Had absolutely nothing going on. Blech! Is it still a wheater? I love most of them...not this one. It sucked.

BBQ+Bourbon
09-13-2009, 14:16
Is that the bottle that cracked? That could explain a lot.
It is, but I don't think it changed the drink. The bottle cracked on the bottom so I turned it upside-down and stored it that way. Within an hour of cracking the bottle I ran it through a coffee filter. To be sure there was no flavor contamination I ran the pot and filter housing through a full-on 'kill' cycle in my dishwasher. Then I put it into a clean glass bourbon bottle. This dishwasher is amazing, Whirlpool Estate, fwiw.

I wish you were closer to KC, I'd give you a sip of this stuff. It's really terrible- hence the sip. Even Evan Williams at $10/bottle is far, far better. Just now, I revisited this putrid bottle for the slightest of sips. It actually doesn't smell that bad- pure caramel/brown sugar/toffee with no alcohol. Taste it, and you'd think you just dragged your tongue down a dusty windowsill. I might have tried worse fare, but none that I can recall.

ErichPryde
09-13-2009, 16:59
Hmm. being exposed to air like that could have changed the flavor somewhat, but you're probably right- whiskey oxidizes all the time and doesn't taste as bad as you are describing...

sailor22
09-14-2009, 10:00
Two disappointments last week and weekend.

I opened an Old Taylor from '84 that I found last week and discovered it was nasty. Looked good, smelled OK but it was undrinkable - I tried two more times and even had a friend try it - we couldn't drink it. I found it in an old shop in South Georgia and I'm guessing it was stored for some time in an hot storage room and had been cooked somehow.

Also opened a handle of Old Grand Dad BiB from '81 that wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped. It was kind of metallic and dense tasting. I'l try it again in a few days and see if it opens up a little after it gets some air.

BBQ+Bourbon
10-01-2009, 18:55

Another drink that's horrible is Yukon Jack. The local CVS put some stock on clearance at 75% off and I filled a shopping cart. Four or five bottles were Yukon Jack at $4 each. Drowned in Coke, it was tolerable. Small wonder they couldn't sell it at $16!
I worked up the courage to try this one again and it's just as terrible as I remembered. The odd taste was beets and dirt and it's overwhelming.

I want to dump it out, but feel compromised pouring out $30. I could have bought nearly two bottles of OWA for that money.

sailor22
10-01-2009, 19:03
After a few pours I gave the OGD another chance and with just a drop or two of spring water it opens up very nicely.
Big, smokey and layerd - very very nice.

Glad I gave it another chance.

DeanSheen
10-01-2009, 20:09
The Willett 7yr 121 I got from the D&M whiskey club has been wretched irregardless of price and taste. If I factor in those two metrics it gets even worse.

sailor22
10-01-2009, 20:14
AGREED! Of all the Willett's I have had the D&M is the most disapointing.

independant
10-01-2009, 22:03
My most disappointing bourbon still stands as the Blantons SB. It is not undrinkable it is just so plain jane to me. Maybe I got a funny bottle but at 50.00 I will probly never know because I have better bourbon to buy with that money.

DeanSheen
10-01-2009, 22:06
AGREED! Of all the Willett's I have had the D&M is the most disapointing.

Good to know I am not alone. It gave me instant heartburn. Bad selection, but I guess it's their first time trying to pick American hooch.

Phantos
10-01-2009, 23:25
Four Roses Small Batch.

blah. red hots and blah.

ratcheer
10-02-2009, 05:16
I have been thinking about this question for several weeks, since it was first posted. There have been several candidates for my answer for several different reasons. I have made my decision.

My most disappointing bourbon purchase was Bulleit. I had read varying comments about it on sb.com, but it was fairly expensive (everything is in AL) so I hadn't pulled the trigger. But, one day the clerk in the ABC store noticed me carefully perusing the bourbon section and came over to talk. I had several items I was considering and he put in a strong recommendation for Bulleit. So, I decided to try it.

My tasting notes can probably be found here, somewhere. But, briefly, it was far too sweet for my taste and I didn't much care for the rest of the profile, either. By the time I had gotten through about half the bottle (over a period of weeks), I basically decided it was undrinkable.

About $35, wasted.

Tim

PAspirit1
10-02-2009, 06:53
I've only bought two bottles that took a long time to finish. One was Evan Williams 1783 and the other was my second bottle of EC12. I enjoyed my first bottle of EC12 but I actually poured out the last 150ml or so of the second one to use the bottle as a deacanteur. I never thought that would happen but the flavor was way off.

ILLfarmboy
10-02-2009, 07:30
My most disappointing bourbon still stands as the Blantons SB. It is not undrinkable it is just so plain jane to me. Maybe I got a funny bottle but at 50.00 I will probly never know because I have better bourbon to buy with that money.

Plain Jane is just how I would describe the only bottle of Blanton's I bought. Then after I let it sit for several months, perhaps because of cork taint, it took on an odd note, a cafeteria smell. It was in the nose far more than the taste. It wasn't strong but once I picked up on it, It may have been there all along and not caused by a cork issue, I couldn't focus on anything else.

unclebunk
10-02-2009, 07:42
I once bought a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10/90 that was absolutely horrendous. The juice literally smelled like a dirty ash tray and was undrinkable. Could that have been the result of cork taint? Any theories?

B1bomber
10-02-2009, 09:09
For me it has to be the Tuthilltown Hudson bourbons, both the four-grain and the baby. I wanted to like them both being that they're relatively local to my area and the bottle style and label both caught my eye. Unfortunately, neither works for me and both sit on my shelf waiting for someone to come along and mercifully take them away.

Two others on my black list:

Wasmund's (I know, it's not a bourbon)-- wanted to like this one also, but couldn't choke it down. Tried to pass it off on some (not so favorite) houseguests in mixers and that didn't even work. Wound up pouring it down the drain.

Kentucky Vintage-- (not to be confused with the superb Vintage Bourbon 17, 21 or 23). Another one I sent down the drain. Maybe I just got a bad bottle, I dunno, but it was rank stuff, IMO.

Martian
10-06-2009, 09:53
Rittenhouse Rye 80. The stuff gave me an immediate headache. I tried it again a few days later and got the same headache.

happy hooligan
10-06-2009, 14:34
elijah craig was mine.

tasted like watered down flat cola.

snakster
10-09-2009, 07:17
Maybe because my expectations were high, but Pappy 20 was disappointing for me. So much oak in the taste, it was like I was drinking from a wooden cup. I wouldn't buy it again at half the cost. Or even a quarter.

Rughi
10-09-2009, 07:59
Maybe because my expectations were high, but Pappy 20 was disappointing for me. So much oak in the taste, it was like I was drinking from a wooden cup. I wouldn't buy it again at half the cost. Or even a quarter.

I think that's the second time in my life I've seen that reference. The other from Chuck Berry:

Way down South they gave a jubilee
Them country folks they had a jamboree
They're drinkin' home - brew from a wooden cup
The folks dancin' got all shook up
And started playin' that rock'n'roll music...

I'm thinking some homebrew might benefit from a bit more woodiness - Pappy 20, perhaps not so much.

Roger

p_elliott
10-09-2009, 08:07

That's strange because I find it to be almost too sweet.

snakster
10-09-2009, 15:03
That's strange because I find it to be almost too sweet.
Actually I found Elmer T Lee too sweet. I guess I couldn't get past the oak flavor to make judgments on any other aspect.

Eggman
11-30-2009, 22:03
Howdy,

Knob Creek. Didn't do a thing for me. I was stunned to find out that KC is nothing but JBB that's spent 12 more months in the barrel. I like JBB, so why don't I like KC?

Eggman
PS: KC had ...citrus notes that failed to impress.

ErichPryde
12-01-2009, 05:12
Howdy,

Knob Creek. Didn't do a thing for me. I was stunned to find out that KC is nothing but JBB that's spent 12 more months in the barrel. I like JBB, so why don't I like KC?

Eggman
PS: KC had ...citrus notes that failed to impress.

It's not quite that simple. Jim beam white, seven year, black, and knob creek are ALL the "same" whiskey- that is, they use the same mashbill and yeast- but something like 50% or more of the final flavor comes from the actual barrel/aging process. Jim Beam mixes various barrels that have a specific flavor profile to get Black, and barrels with a somewhat different profile to get KC.

I'm with you on Jim Beam black- I've just never found any depth in Knob Creek. Pun intended.

BrbnBorderline
12-02-2009, 16:12
Woodford Reserve 135th Kentucky Derby bottling. Definitely not worth the $46.95.

BootFNBD
12-03-2009, 15:12
I would say Buffalo Trace did absolutely nothing for me!

One recurring item I see in this thread and other threads in the forums, is musty, damp earth aromas and taste. This is purely from "Skunked" Corks and they can ruin an entire run. Some distillers appear to have more problems with it than others, but, I've seen just about every brand knocked for musty smells. The resolution is extremely simple, plastic corks or screw tops. The wineries (some U.S), Australia, New Zealand and South America figured this out and no longer have any problems with skunked wine. There just isn't enough "GOOD" cork to go around.

I know some will look at this as heresy, but, if the distilleries want to deliver a consistent product, they will have to move in this direction.

AVB
12-03-2009, 15:15
My latest bottle of Ezra Brooks has a fake cork in it while the one it replaced was sealed with a real one.

darkluna
12-03-2009, 16:26
Most disappointing for me was gold foil Hirsch, which reminded me somewhat of chewing gum wrapper. I've since had a sip of blue was Hirsch, which was beyond fantastic

emr454
12-04-2009, 08:17
Some distillers appear to have more problems with it than others, but, I've seen just about every brand knocked for musty smells. The resolution is extremely simple, plastic corks or screw tops. The wineries (some U.S), Australia, New Zealand and South America figured this out and no longer have any problems with skunked wine. There just isn't enough "GOOD" cork to go around.

I know some will look at this as heresy, but, if the distilleries want to deliver a consistent product, they will have to move in this direction.

I agree 100%!

If these companies want repeat customers and positive reviews of their products, why gamble on the fact that real corks can ruin the whole thing? It may cost a bit more for them to purchse fake corks, but wouldn't it be worth it?

Here's a question, would you still purchase whiskies with fake corks if it caused the price to increase, say $1/bottle? I'm sure thats a very high number all things considered.

Eric

unclebunk
12-04-2009, 08:54
I agree 100%!

If these companies want repeat customers and positive reviews of their products, why gamble on the fact that real corks can ruin the whole thing? It may cost a bit more for them to purchse fake corks, but wouldn't it be worth it?

Here's a question, would you still purchase whiskies with fake corks if it caused the price to increase, say $1/bottle? I'm sure thats a very high number all things considered.

Eric

I would definitely be willing to pay a tad more money to ensure getting an untainted bottle of whiskey. And to tell you the truth, I'm not bothered by screw-tops either. Just give me something that works!

J.W.
12-04-2009, 11:11
I have tried Elijah Craig only once but it was so bitter I could not drink it. If memory serves the cork appeared to be a strange color maby it was bad.

smokinjoe
12-04-2009, 11:17
My latest bottle of Ezra Brooks has a fake cork in it while the one it replaced was sealed with a real one.

I noticed that on my latest bottle, too. I do like cork, but if these were to be the replacements, I wouldn't argue too much. It seemed to look, feel and sound pretty good. What do you think AB? Is it a deal breaker?

SMOWK
12-04-2009, 15:03
I noticed that on my latest bottle, too. I do like cork, but if these were to be the replacements, I wouldn't argue too much. It seemed to look, feel and sound pretty good. What do you think AB? Is it a deal breaker?

The 6 bottles I just got the other day all have fake corks in them. Still taste's pretty darn good though for $13/bottle.

AVB
12-04-2009, 16:37
Mine were on sale at $10.49 and the fake cork didn't bother me at all.

Lost Pollito
12-04-2009, 19:53
I would definitely be willing to pay a tad more money to ensure getting an untainted bottle of whiskey. And to tell you the truth, I'm not bothered by screw-tops either. Just give me something that works!
I wonder what Etchochem thinks about this. Etch...have you've done any experimentation with the synthetics? Is the cork thang More mental than physical? Just curious and afraid I've commited thread-drift. All apologies.:lol:

DeanSheen
12-04-2009, 20:32
I wonder what Etchochem thinks about this. Etch...have you've done any experimentation with the synthetics? Is the cork thang More mental than physical? Just curious and afraid I've commited thread-drift. All apologies.:lol:

A certain percentage of cork actually carries a contaminant that causes product to go bad.

This was talked about in a thread over the last month but I cant recall which one.

Seems like a good reason to move all of the tops to screws or synthetic, but the producers probably get a smaller percentage of returns than all the bad bottles out in the wild so it's not a huge concern from a profit standpoint.

Lost Pollito
12-05-2009, 04:25
Yeah, I remember the cork taint thread. I was just wondering if there is ever synthetic taint...like chemicals leaching out over time and messin with the bourbon.

ShewDawg
12-05-2009, 07:40
I would say Buffalo Trace did absolutely nothing for me!

One recurring item I see in this thread and other threads in the forums, is musty, damp earth aromas and taste. This is purely from "Skunked" Corks and they can ruin an entire run. Some distillers appear to have more problems with it than others, but, I've seen just about every brand knocked for musty smells. The resolution is extremely simple, plastic corks or screw tops. The wineries (some U.S), Australia, New Zealand and South America figured this out and no longer have any problems with skunked wine. There just isn't enough "GOOD" cork to go around.

I am all for this, especially if it ensures my bourbon doesn't have the musty taste. I believe the Jefferson's Reserve Presidential had this as well, can't take a chance on ruining a whole run of SW juice.

Oh, and if I hadn't said it already, FR Small Batch was a stinker. Like the single barrell and other variations, just not the small batch.

BBQ+Bourbon
12-05-2009, 14:50
I agree 100%!

Eric
I am also on this bandwagon. I tracked down two bottles of Pappy 15, had them shipped, and both are bad. One is REALLY bad and the other is just a little bad. I found a third bottle locally and it is fine and does not have that musty damp taste.

BT has sent a box and packing materials and I understand they will refund the purchase price. I do appreciate them standing behind there product. However, I would much rather have three good bottles.

Cork =:shithappens:

loose proton
12-05-2009, 15:00
...Seems like a good reason to move all of the tops to screws or synthetic, ...I think screw top is the best for keeping product in good condition, but market prefers cork because that's just the way it's supposed to be. I feel like I'm drinking whiskey when that cork goes pop when pulling it.

JamesW
12-15-2009, 10:42
Wathen's has a fake cork and it works very well. I'd prefer that to cork-taint any day of the week.

sailor22
12-15-2009, 11:05
I'm on the Synthetic Cork or screw top band wagon too. It wouldn't be hard to design a stopper that was pleasing and sealed with synthetic material. Every older bottle ('50s thru 70's) that had a cork was effected by it to some degree. None of the screw tops had any off taste at all.

catsfan
12-19-2009, 17:08
I would go with Wathens Single Barrel or Elijah Craig 12 yo. Other than those two I havent had a bad pour.

docbible
12-20-2009, 17:19
Mine would be WR sonoma cutter and 4 grain. I was so wanting these to be as great as the price. The cutter cleaned the drain to clear some room in the cabinet after sitting for a few years. tim

Westernboys
12-26-2009, 13:44
Woodford Reserve. Just not as good as the other bourbons I've tasted.

T Comp
02-14-2010, 16:36
Yes, Virginia, there is mediocre Stitzel Weller bourbon. In spite of previous lukewarm opinions from some of the more experienced tasters, here and other places, I finally bit the bait and plunked down $33.39 of my hard earned dollars for a BHC Very Special Old Fitzgerald. Well as the label states, it is AGED IN WOOD and that is about all I get out of this and maybe even similar to what I might imagine the rain water that collects in the bottom pit of my smoker might taste like. I'd love to know who/what/how made Weller Centennial so good, and this so bad, in my humble opinion.

Old Lamplighter
02-18-2010, 16:46
Must admit it has been a while since I had one but the one that stands out in the past was BT. Tried a regular and a private bottling....no difference in them in my opinion....both musty,dusty and dank!