PDA

View Full Version : What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

Pages : [1] 2 3

mgilbertva
09-25-2007, 21:31
It's officially fall, so it's time to start a new seasonal drinking thread. What's on the agenda tonight?

HipFlask
09-26-2007, 19:32
WildTurkey Russels Reserve 90 proof. and the honor of first post.

mozilla
09-26-2007, 19:42
Mixed some late '80's Old Charter 10yr with some current VOB 90 proof. Made a fabulously ballanced dram for a hot eve. in Austin. Went 50-50 as best I could.....had about six inches of that stuff before I felt about melted. Think I'll try that again soon.

mgilbertva
09-26-2007, 19:57
Old Old Charter and Barton's, eh? What inspired that choice? I would have never thought to vat them.

Do you think it would work with some other years/proofs? I have some not-quite-so-old Old Charter (7 & 8 yr), and some 86pf VOB.

mgilbertva
09-26-2007, 19:58
Wild Turkey Rye and Ginger. Yum. I don't think I like it quite as well as Ritt BIB and Ginger, but close, and maybe sometimes better.

mozilla
09-26-2007, 20:03
I really liked the sweet fruits of the Charter and the back bone of the VOB. Plus I had both bottles out from a consolidation effort earlier.

luv2hunt
09-26-2007, 20:47
WLW 2006 :yum::yum: I really like this one!

Stu
09-26-2007, 21:04
Someone on another thread said that Jimmy Russell liked to keep Rare Breed in the freezer and drink it straight. I was told by a distillery manager in Scotland that whisky should be drunk at room temperature where it was made. I tend to agree, but I figure if Jimmy likes it it can't be all bad. I put a bottle in the freezer a couple days ago and had some last night and was surprised how good it was and it seemed that the cold changed the nose. I tried it again tonight, along with a good "Swiss" cigar, and the cigar seemed to cry out "Right distillery, wrong bourbon, Get Kentucky Spirit". I did (at room temperature) and it went much better with the cigar.

Stu

J.W.
09-27-2007, 07:18
Opned a bottle of Knob Creek last night.

JW

Whiskey Willie
09-27-2007, 07:31
...Polished off a bottle of Eagle Rare...

ggilbertva
09-27-2007, 18:04
Picked up a mini of Knob Creek tonight. My allergies are acting us so I'm not enjoying it as much as I could.

SBOmarc
09-27-2007, 19:11
Still on the Binny's Blanton's. I have come to the conclusion that it displays more sweetness, or a honey quality.

bigtoys
09-27-2007, 19:29
Eagle Rare came up on the entry screen and I haven't had it recently, so it is a good choice.

I kinda stumbled on it by accident last year when I saw it and it remminded me of Eagle River, WI, where my son goes to camp, so I bought it.

I was pleasantly surprised, especially for the reasonable price.

mozilla
09-28-2007, 06:12
ER 10/90 or ER10/101?

wintersway
09-28-2007, 13:53
ORVW 10yo 107. Mighty fine sippin' whiskey!

barturtle
09-28-2007, 16:56
Willett#1....Mmm, Mmm, good. And well deserved after what must have been the longest week of school in my life.

Luna56
09-28-2007, 21:53
Started out tonight with a generous pour of Rare Breed. Still trying to figure this stuff out; I'm sure it's a quality pour but to me it seems a bit overdone somehow, a burnt caramel/pine pitch kind of flavor seems to dominate. I'm not loving it but I'm giving it every opportunity to win me over, though. It does seem to benefit from a bit more time in the glass or an ice cube or two. I like to drink neat, but am open minded enough to try to accept things on their own terms when warranted.
That being said, my second pour was a Four Roses Single Barrel 100 proof (having it right now as a matter of fact) and all I can say is, this stuff is PERFECT. I'm a bit of a newbie but once I tasted truly good bourbon I decided to make a bit of a committment to exploring it. I've bought several bottles in the last year, often multiple bottles of the same stuff just to learn the particular characteristics of each one before moving on and comparing. When I arrived at the Four Roses Single Barrel 100 proof I knew I was in a whole 'nother league. I'm glad I brought back two bottles from Kentucky; the first one's almost gone. At least I'll have something to drink on my way back down there from New Hampshire to buy some more!
Cheers!

wintersway
09-29-2007, 15:28
750 ml of Three Philosophers Quadrupel topping off with a Stagg as I watch Kansas City Confidential. Doesn't get much better!

Gillman
09-29-2007, 17:26
Personal blend of four beers (3 stouts and Creemore lager - killer combination, 3:1 stouts to lager) in an English pint sleeve (glass) chased by a half ounce each successively of Harper 80 proof, a genever vatting and a rum vatting. Lots of intense tastes but in toto not more than two drinks taken, which is enough for tonight.

And, watching my new Raspberries reunion DVD, it came with their live reunion CD, I love it! "Want a hit, record, yeah, want a hit, record, yeah - oo -oo -oo"!

Gary

ggilbertva
09-29-2007, 18:02
What didn't I drink. Went to a tasting this afternoon and enjoyed many of the following:

ORVW 15
ORVW 10 (Frankfort) - really fantastic. I need to get more of these bottles
GTS '04 - best Stagg of all (that we've tried anyway)
Ezra B 12 year
Jack Daniels Silver Select - Wow...really really good.
Blantons Silver - another good one
WT Tribute - hmmm....very much liked this one
Binny's 12 year - honey barrel (14+ year Bernheim)
Buffalo Trace Single Barrel
EC 12
Van Winkle Rye

I think there were others but after a while, it got a little fuzzy. Good food, good company and really fine bourbon.

TBoner
09-29-2007, 19:41
OGD 114 this afternoon. Taken on its own terms (i.e. not in relation to the ND stuff), a good, sturdy dram.

2-yr-old homebrewed cyser (an apple mead) this evening at dinner. This stuff has gotten spectacularly better in the year since I tasted it. I think most of the 14 bottles we have will be gone before the winter is over.

Now, a pour of Cragganmore 12, which will accompany a book at bedtime (I'm tired, so an early Saturday turn-in for me).

SBOmarc
09-29-2007, 19:50
Stagg Fall '04 One shot in a rocks glass cut to 114 Proof.

What a pleasant burn. This is about as High a proof of this edition that I can feel and taste the balance.

mgilbertva
09-30-2007, 20:32
EWSB, both '94, '95, and '96 (bottled 11/19/06, post-fire).

The '94 was first: rich, long finish, elegant if a little sharp and dry.
The '95 was bigger, richer with more caramel and vanilla. Again, long finish. The least subtle of the three.
The '96 was the lightest of the three, a bit metallic at first, more anise than the other two. Still, like all EWSB it's charms are not forward but reward patience and study.

I had read several posters list the '94 as their favorite, so I was surprised to find I like the '95 best.

ggilbertva
10-01-2007, 05:40
EWSB, both '94, '95, and '96 (bottled 11/19/06, post-fire).

The '94 was first: rich, long finish, elegant if a little sharp and dry.
The '95 was bigger, richer with more caramel and vanilla. Again, long finish. The least subtle of the three.
The '96 was the lightest of the three, a bit metallic at first, more anise than the other two. Still, like all EWSB it's charms are not forward but reward patience and study.

I had read several posters list the '94 as their favorite, so I was surprised to find I like the '95 best.

My vote goes to the '95 as well. Bigger nose, longer finish. Seemed more robust than the '94.

OscarV
10-01-2007, 14:22
I opened up another Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.
Bottled on 2/7/07
Barrel No. 11
Warehouse E
Rick No. 13

The color of this bottle is lighter than previous WTKS I have had.
I have another unopened, from Warehouse C, Rick 40 and it is noticably darker.
Also this one is not as sweet as others I have had.
But like sex and pizza, even if it is bad, it is still good.

ACDetroit
10-01-2007, 18:12
Well tonight I opened one of my BHC VSOF 12yr. and this is my first dance with this bottle. I waited way to long it is truely wonderful.

whiskeyhatch
10-01-2007, 21:22
EW 1783. Picked up a few bottles for $10.50. (Now there's a value.) It's still very hot here. As soon as it finally cools, I will be grabbing for some Islay Scotch. Can't wait!

robbyvirus
10-01-2007, 22:57
I just tapped into a bottle of Sazerac Rye 18yo from 2004 that I haven't had a sip from in maybe a year or so. Man, I'd forgotten how good this stuff is. Can't wait to try the 2007!

ACDetroit
10-02-2007, 17:32
Robby I'm jealous! I totally forgot I have 2 2004 Saz's stashed in the bunker!

Tonight is a healthy pour of some PVW 15yr. in Reidel Bourbon Glass, this might have been purchased in 04 as well. I can't get enough of this stuff either! I may need to go have a smoke after this one!

mulbish
10-02-2007, 18:41
well, I been meaning to get me some EC18yo to experience the bourbon of the month, but the only poke store I been in of late is the wallyworld grocery down the way. So, I gave in and got me some Buffalo Trace. ummm...good, nice on a bit of ice and a splash. actually, the wife has a cold and I wanted to sooth her throat...what..for real...I got her some nice tea, lemon, & honey. as well as a bottle of bourbon. I'm only thinking of my dear wife, here. My little irish lass was in need.

well, ok it's one last little smidgen, and then it's off to bed, 'cause i have to be up in 6 hrs.

HipFlask
10-03-2007, 18:18
I started off with Buff trace. Yum good stuff new daily pour. Then for comparison's sake Elmer T. Next PVW lot B. And since somebody else was inspired by Eagle River Wi. Wild Turkey RR 90 since I don't have any Eagle Rare.. Just goofin... buying next trip to the store!

SBOmarc
10-03-2007, 18:26
Buffalo Trace, ETL, RHF, Blanton's

Is that a flight?

HighTower
10-04-2007, 04:44
Weller 12, 06 WLW & ETL
Yum!

Scott

Gillman
10-04-2007, 06:19
Courvoisier VSOP bought around 1990, a gift.

A very interesting drink, quite rounded and full-bodied and evidently the result of a complex mingling.

Who will produce a VSOP of American straight whiskey? This would be something interesting to do perhaps as a group exercise.

Only a group could likely come up with the diversity and amounts required of the straights, for one thing.

For the base, we would need something relatively rounded and not too assertive, maybe Weller 12. Maybe plan on a spreadsheet from 10-20 additions of different ages and types, allowing e.g., 20% of the final to be whiskeys over 15 years of age, 10% being straight rye and so forth.

I think the result could be just as good as fine Cognac.

Gary

mozilla
10-04-2007, 06:22
Last night I finished my first bottle of Hill & Hill 80 pf, then on to Old Fitz Bib and JTS Brown BiB, both current. The H&H beat both for all around flavor. If it was a Bib, it would be out of sight!

Rughi
10-04-2007, 07:34
Last night I finished my first bottle of Hill & Hill 80 pf, then on to Old Fitz Bib and JTS Brown BiB, both current. The H&H beat both for all around flavor. If it was a Bib, it would be out of sight!

Jeff,
You are my kind of guy.

While others fixate on clearing shelves of anything SW, there are unsung gems like ND Hill and Hill that'll really satisfy.

National Distillers produced many great lower and mid-shelfers to which boutique current releases should be proud to measure up. And the flagship ND products, Taylor and Grand Dad, just might not have an equal today.

Roger

Gillman
10-04-2007, 07:40
I agree, Roger. And what I find intriguing too is that, as you have noted, the particular maple/peanut brittle character of NDOT appears not to precede the 1970's/80's. I wonder if it emerged due to longer-than-normal aging times of the era (due to overstocks).

Gary

mozilla
10-04-2007, 07:52
Gary,
Did I read your post right? OT and OGD didn't taste the same before the 70's/80's. How does it compare? Lighter, thinner? Heavier, thicker?
Thanks for the taste comparrison.

Gillman
10-04-2007, 08:22
Jeff, I was referring to a comment by Roger Hodges some months ago that the taste I mentioned of National Distillers Old Taylor in the late 70's and 80's did not characterise samples from earlier decades. Roger earlier had done a masterful, multi-decades tasting of Old Taylor's, I believe as part of one of the West Coast study groups (associated originally with Doug Philips). I have tasted only a couple of OT's from before the 70's. I am not sure they were 100% perfect, but even apart from that they seemed not to disclose the maple/peanut brittle character of the 70's and 80's. Tim Sousley kindly (as always) made a couple of these available for me to try. He also kindly gave me a half-pint of a 1960's OT BIB and it was good but thinner I would say than the 70's and 80's examples and with less of the character from that time (which makes me wonder if in part at least the 1980's maple/peanut brittle character derived from mingling different ages and barrel lots).

Apart from that, I recall reading on the other board not long ago a report of a tasting of a bonded OT from the 1950's which the taster said was phenomenal. He focused on the aspect of a port-like taste and in that case the whiskey was rich and full.

I believe the character of OT was always good but did differ depending on e.g., whether it was Castle-produced and (especially) how long it was aged, but also whether it was Bonded or not. Jackson as I said made a point in his 1988 book that NDOT in the 80's was aged for years beyond its age statement, so that may have explained the character of that time.

Roger may wish to elaborate and perhaps re-post his report of that tasting (a fine post, well worth finding. Just to do that kind of exercise, let alone with a whiskey as storied as OT, was surely an amazing experience.

Gary

mozilla
10-04-2007, 08:31
Thanks Gary....I'll do a search for the post. Very interesting hypothesis to search up on.

Gillman
10-04-2007, 17:02
I have a cold and whisky (Scotch) as a specific seems in order. Toss two ounces of one of my Scotch-Irish whiskey blends into the glass. Sample neat. Not quite right. Add some vodka for display, better but not there yet. Add some Glendronach to pick up the fruity notes. Well, we're getting there, but gee, this is 4 ounces high now, I can't keep "adjusting"! What to do... I add about 3 ounces of Perrier. Now, it is really good, the water displays the complex components, the secrets of the old U.K. "whiskey-soda" unlock. I add rocks as a final flourish.

Gary

TNbourbon
10-04-2007, 17:33
...Who will produce a VSOP of American straight whiskey? This would be something interesting to do perhaps as a group exercise...Gary

Gary, if you can round them all up at one place and the same time, try vatting in equal parts (for starters, anyway) the five members of the BTAC -- which includes rye and wheated bourbons and straight ryes, and some variety of ages.
I have it in the glass right now (at its natural c. 117 proof -- I may dilute here shortly), and it is cognac-y, at least to me in my limited experience with fine cognac. Much fruit and blossom (from the rye), as well as some spicy sweetness (from the barrel aging and wheat). Clean, but dry, finish. I love the nose, with its combination of fruit, spice and candy/toffee sweetness.
Wish you were here, Gary, to advise and improve.

Gillman
10-04-2007, 17:44
Thanks Tim, that sounds great, I don't think it needs improvement, excellent idea, one day I will try it with you.

Gary

mgilbertva
10-04-2007, 17:50
I had a chance to try an '05 BTAC, the WLW.

Surprisingly pour. I know several people here are not fans, and I can report they had good reason.

The nose is excellent. The taste starts out very nice: rich wheater without the burn you get with the '06. However, this is followed in two or three seconds by a chalky, metallic, mineral-like bitterness, almost like it was made with crappy tap water. The finish is long and bitter as well. Adding a splash of bottled water attenuates some of the unpleasantness, but not enough.

I'm hoping that giving it a chance to air for a few weeks (or months) will help dissipate some of the bitterness, so I'll leave it for a few weeks and try again.

ILLfarmboy
10-04-2007, 18:31
I started tonight with pre-supper Baby Saz Old Fashioned while I decided what to fix. After some grilled salmon and baby Lima beans I poured a snifter of Handy, just as I was finishing that a friend dropped by to ask about taking down a CB tower and a Moon Raker antennae. He's more of a scotch man. So we both had a pour or two of JW Green while discussing the how and when. Needles to say I'm done for the night.:skep:

TBoner
10-04-2007, 18:50
A 2:1:1:1 vatting of Rittenhouse BIB, Beam Rye, OGD 114, and Old Bardstown 101. I had the latter trio in a 1:1:2 vatting last night, and it was terrific. This is obviously more rye-driven, and a spicier, less everyday type of pour (I love rye, but the dram I made last night could be in perpetual rotation for most any American whiskey lover).

bigtoys
10-04-2007, 19:18
A buddy came over since a bunch of our wives are out for a birthday dinner. Mixed up a couple of Knob Creek Manhattans--almost forgot the bitters. He followed it up with a little Stagg. Hope he drives carefully.

HipFlask
10-04-2007, 19:38
Well today i started to search for Flieschman's American Whiskey for a friend and I came across this New Glarus Brewery's Bourbon Barrel Bock. A very limited specaility beer. And that is what I am drinking tonight. Of coarse a couple Guiness's after work where the prelude. Some night's are just made for beer. life is good!

HighTower
10-05-2007, 05:55
I got some new strings for my bass today (damn those things ain't cheap!). While I tuned it, I enjoyed RR90, EWSB 95, Rock Hill Farms and then some Buffalo Trace. She's finally tuned, and so am I!:slappin:

Scott

HighTower
10-05-2007, 06:07
I just had some Weller 12, damn I'm glad there's another bottle on the way.......

Scott

BourbonJoe
10-05-2007, 06:09
I got some new strings for my bass today (damn those things ain't cheap!).
Scott

Scott,
How long does a set of strings last?
Joe :usflag:

gblick
10-05-2007, 07:02
I play bass too.
I use flatwound strings (for a more 'old-school' sound), and the flatwound strings last a VERY long time compared to roundwound strings. I have a set of flats on one of my basses that's been on there for over three years and they still sound great. Back when I was using roundwound strings, I would change them after about 1.5 years, but most people change their rounds more often than that (some people after just a few weeks or even sooner). Flats are naturally more 'dead' sounding than the brighter sound of rounds, so they tend to last much longer before you think they need changing. At this point, I think I'll only need to change my strings if/when one breaks.

Gillman
10-05-2007, 11:30
The rest of the story from last night and the cold I had - or, rather, have: the scotch did nothing for it so I tossed it after a few sips. It was a good whisky-and-soda but seemed to do little for my cold.

Instead, I had a few sips of beer (Canadian Carlsberg - I go macro once in a while). It did settle the stomach a bit, but I thought bourbon might be better for the cold.

I had a finger of Buffalo Trace, the barrel #13 currently being sold by Cork & Bottle.

Best drink of the night, but the cold did not improve.

I am starting to think the story about a stiff drink to ward off a cold is just a bunch of hooey. It hasn't worked in the past and didn't this time. Maybe I haven't found the right bourbon.

Gary

Gillman
10-05-2007, 13:13
The story now. Stayed home to rest but still very sick. I hope a cold is all it is, I don't feel good.

Since I took the day off and the sun is going down, I think a medicament for illness is in order.

At a loss what to choose, I saw some pre-Katrina Jacquin's rock and rye in the bunker. I took that and added Wild Turkey straight rye about 3:2.

It's a good drink, probably close to what was taken in olden times to help these things. Full of sandalwood, spice, Turkish delight and the rosewater-like tastes which inform both the straight rye and the R&R - this may not help the cold but it tastes like it should, at any rate. More anon.

Gary

HighTower
10-05-2007, 15:06
Scott,
How long does a set of strings last?
Gus gave a good insight there, and I use the round ones. I haven't picked up my bass for nearly 2 years as I broke my E string (due to them being old) and simply have only just got around to replacing them. I usually buy Ernie Ball slinky strings...I love the sound but they didn't have any where I went and the guy suggested I buy Dunlops, so here we are. They're not overly expensive when you think how long they last, but it's a pain that you can't buy single bass strings, you have to buy the whole set.
Not quite as punchy as EB strings, I will see how they go after they are broken in.
What sort of bass you got Gus? I was drooling over a fretless natural Fender Jass 62 reissue I saw on ebay. Fairly decent BIN price too!
I've got an Ibanez EDB600. I love the body shape of this bass, it's just so natural!
Just so I'm not totally off topic, tonight I might drink some RR101 :grin:

Scott

HighTower
10-05-2007, 15:13
I am starting to think the story about a stiff drink to ward off a cold is just a bunch of hooey. It hasn't worked in the past and didn't this time. Maybe I haven't found the right bourbon.

Gary
Gary,
Many people who come into my work buy rum (Bundaberg) to get rid of the flu. That crap would kill a brown dog. I tried bourbon to kill mine, and a mixture of Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms, Fighting Cock and 06 Stagg. I thought if anything would kill it, the Stagg would.......no cigar.

Scott

Gillman
10-05-2007, 15:16
Thanks for the thought, Scott, I appreciate it.

I have a dinner committment out tonight and don't feel like going but I've decided I will and soemhow will pull it all together.

I get sick rarely but sometimes get very bad, flu-like colds.

I will survive. :) Thanks again.

Gary

gblick
10-05-2007, 15:35
What sort of bass you got Gus?
I have 3...a Fender Precision, a Fender Jazz, and a fretless Wal. I have extra necks which allow me to convert the Jazz to fretless and the Wal to fretted (the Wal's currently fretted), and all three of them are strung with LaBella light gauge flats. One of the bands I'm in is a Pink Floyd tribute band (called Echoes), and we have a cool gig coming up on 10/26 as one of the opening acts for Jefferson Starship.

http://www.bad2dabonebikerally.com/bands.html

Tonight I'll probably drink some Van Winkle 10/107, Lot B, or PVW15.

CrispyCritter
10-05-2007, 18:36
I just finished a Manhattan/Sazerac hybrid using 2 oz. Rittenhouse BIB, 3/4 oz. Vya red vermouth, and 1/2 oz. Xtabentún, with three shakes of Peychaud's bitters.

Next up: a pour of ER101. If I follow it up with anything else, probably Four Roses Single Barrel.

HighTower
10-06-2007, 05:08
I did go with that RR101, followed by 1792, and then some AAA 10 year.

Scott

NorCalBoozer
10-06-2007, 19:55
I did go with that RR101, followed by 1792, and then some AAA 10 year.

Scott

Ahhh I miss AAA 10 year.

tonight i mixed equal parts '70 Old Taylor 86 proof and '05 WLW. I have to say, this is much better than i expected it would be, but the WLW is just a bit too strong. Next pour I'll add less LWL.

MikeK
10-07-2007, 09:43
We had a mini-Gazebo last night, I tasted:

JD Single Barrel
my current 'house blend' which is BT, 1792, and a splash of Bulleit. After marrying for a week the Bulliet spiciness came out nicely
Very Old Barton BIB
Old Kentucky Tavern BIB 1959
Harper BIB 70's
WTRR 101
Mellow Corn BIB
WT-12 split label
Woodford Reserve low batch number
Benchmark 70's
ORVW 10yo 107
VWFRR 'D' bottle
Pappy-15 Single BarrelA very fine night!

mozilla
10-07-2007, 15:08
Today, with the Texans showing some heart, I thought I would choose some bourbon with the same. OGD 86 from 1980, Old Forester 100 mid 90's and Old Charter 10/86 late 80's. All of these are great everyday pours, full of flavor.

Gillman
10-07-2007, 15:16
A vatting (made in the glass) of BT, JDSB, Hotalings Potrero and Alberta Premium rye. Glug of Perrier water for a super whiskey and soda.

Gary

ratcheer
10-07-2007, 16:22
Right now, I am cooking braised pork chops for supper (my wife is cooking green beans and baked sweet potatoes to go with them) and I'm having a straight shot of Elmer T. Lee. It is a perfect prelude to a hearty fall supper.

Now, if only "fall" would cooperate. It was 90 F, this afternoon and it is even sultry in the house with the AC cranked up.

Tim

mgilbertva
10-07-2007, 20:39
Sam Houston tonight (no age statement).

I was in the mood for a softer whiskey, and on that count it worked. Very mild bourbon, milder than I usually like.

I've had the same reaction to other McLain and Kyne products. For instance, I've had a few bottles of Jefferson Reserve 15 yr which used to be quite inexpensive in Virginia (I didn't have the "Very Old" version which I won't bother with). It too, while refined and very pleasant, was also quite mild.

This bourbon, especially the post-10 yr version, has received mixed reviews.
While I don't dislike it, and I would say it's pleasant, I won't buy another one.

Sam Houston is not real complicated, but not one-dimensional either. It has a little mint and caramel on the nose, then caramel, vanilla and a distinct, but not hot, note of cinnamon on the palate. Some fruit in there - with that combination, not surprisingly, I'm reminded of apple pie. Then, oddly, I pick up some grilled meat near then end.

It finishes quickly with nothing unpleasant to mar the taste.

jburlowski
10-08-2007, 10:28
Right now, I am cooking braised pork chops for supper (my wife is cooking green beans and baked sweet potatoes to go with them) and I'm having a straight shot of Elmer T. Lee. It is a perfect prelude to a hearty fall supper.

Tim

Man am I salivating.....

Phischy
10-08-2007, 13:20
I was at a wedding all weekend. The only bourbon he bought was Maker's so I drank a whole lot of that. I was told 'no shots' at the wedding. So I dropped in a single cube and told the groom it was a cocktail!

I also had Rittenhouse Rye, Knob Creek and Blanton's later on at a bar.

ACDetroit
10-08-2007, 20:54
Well I finished installing the wireless router tonight after fighting with the MS firewall (would not allow the router to configure). I can not wait to get the Mac Book out.
Started the night with a nice pour of PVW 15 yr. and now a dram of EWSB 1994:woohoo:

Tony

SBOmarc
10-08-2007, 21:30
Pappy 20 and a Blanton's... Life is good.

Cornman
10-09-2007, 00:27
Old Grand Dad 107 and Rare Breed 108.
I paired these just because of the proof numbers.
Call me peculiar, but I have rarely enjoyed WT products (except the rye), including this one. OTOH I have consistently liked the OGD 107.
But pairing them this way really highlights the corn in the OGD (try Mellow Corn if you haven't taken CORN 101) while making the subtleties of the WT more apparent.

Isn't bourbon cool?

HighTower
10-09-2007, 04:26
Last night I opened my bottle of Iron Horse Bourbon. Charcoal filtered, slow mash. It also states on the label (printed, not hand written) batch 2 barrel 11692.
These must have been big barrels, as every store has the same details on the bottle.
We just received this bourbon into Australia as a new product and I like to be able to tell people what these things taste like! I was very surprised by this pour, a very thin and young bourbon, but it has some great qualities. It made a very nice mixer and is something I would buy again. It is Heaven Hill whiskey, bottled at 37% for the Australian market. I have paid more for much worse bourbons. I would drink this before Jim Beam White any day of the week.
Bettye Jo: do you have any idea how old the bourbon is??

Scott

OscarV
10-09-2007, 12:51
Old Grand Dad 107

Isn't bourbon cool?

Yeah bourbon is cool.
OGD107? I have never heard of this.
I thought there was nothing between BIB and 114.

mozilla
10-09-2007, 12:54
He must have Gillmanized it. 50% of each...OGD100 and 114.

Gillman
10-09-2007, 13:31
Thanks Jeff! :)

Gary

ggilbertva
10-09-2007, 17:48
Right after cooking dinner for the family, I poured myself the last of my Fighting Cock 103 and some ginger. That really hit the spot. Because it was near 90 today (the average should be low 70's) I needed something cool and refreshing.

Gillman
10-09-2007, 18:06
My vat of Fighting Cock, Heaven Hill BIB, Heaven Hill 6 years 90 proof, 1970's Heaven Hill 86 proof. Absolutely fantastic. Deep chocolate with a light skein of corn oil backed by smoked wood. Brings out the very best of the non-extra-mature HH rye recipe.

Gary

Solomon2
10-09-2007, 19:45
Schlitz, the very definition of bland. Sometimes I gotta taste the bad stuff, so I can better appreciate the good stuff.

whiskeyhatch
10-09-2007, 20:23
I'm doing a little vat-action this evening. My first try at vatting a couple nights ago with 50/50 Gentleman Jack and Basil Haydens was a disaster. Tonight, it's approx. 2/3 EC 18yo with approx. 1/3 EW 1783. Much better. I'll be doing this again soon.

gothbat
10-09-2007, 21:36
W.L. Weller Centennial. No bottle that I've purchased has tasted as good as the first bottle of this that I bought and this is the 3rd. While I still rank this one high I'm beginning to think that the plastic cup that I used to drink my pours from the first one (it was all that was available at the rental house my friends and I drank it at) affected the taste... for the better. Subsequent bottles have tasted almost as sweet but with a wood and sometimes slight char taste in there as well. All of these bottles were Frankfort label and not labeled as BHC.

Cornman
10-09-2007, 22:02
Yeah bourbon is cool.
OGD107? I have never heard of this.
I thought there was nothing between BIB and 114.

Oops. 114 it is.

ggilbertva
10-10-2007, 06:09
Finished off last night with a late night pour of Weller Antique.

HighTower
10-10-2007, 06:35
Had some Iron Horse followed by Weller Antique 107.

Scott

J.W.
10-11-2007, 09:00
Had a small pour of Wild Turkey 101 followed by a large pour of Buffalo Tarce.
J.W.

J.W.
10-11-2007, 09:02
Me thinks the Wild Turkey has effected my spelling TRACE

Excuse Me
J.W.

Solomon2
10-11-2007, 18:31
Lot B - my first pour. Starts out smooth and sweet, then hot at the back of the mouth and throat. Reminiscent of MM, but the toluene isn't pronounced, and is in fact well-integrated into the other flavors. Had to resist the urge to add a touch of Saz Rye to "balance" it out.

ACDetroit
10-11-2007, 18:49
Tonight started great with a pour of Rock Hill (Awesome). Next we moved on to a 3:1 Manhatten ETL it was very good! I thought I would finish the night off with cigar and some Blantons. The trip went south in a hurry! The smoke was sub par and the Blantons had sat for a year and to be honest it tasted like wet corn silk. It was a 2004 bottle but not as good as bottles past. The end of the evening was not so good. Well lets not end on a bad note, I just poured a glass of Noah's Mill 57.15% an this should have been the choice to start. All's well that ends well!

Cheers!

AC

fog
10-11-2007, 18:52
I started with a side by side tasting of Four Roses Single Barrel with Four Roses Small Batch.

I then had a small pour of WT 101, which I greatly enjoyed. This is the first time that I have tasted WT 101 since last year. Last year I did not enjoy the WT 101 at all; I found it harsh, astringent, and tasting mainly of char.

I think that I might have had a bad bottle last year, perhaps due to a bad cork, as I find it hard to believe that my perception has changed this much in a year.

Gillman
10-12-2007, 02:50
A superb WT 8 years old, bought for a friend in a duty free in Central America somewhere. Creamy, rich, very balanced and hardly showing its proof. I have never really been a fan of WT except in two iterations, which is Rare Breed (had one of those too but thought the 8 eclipsed it), and the odd WT 12 or KS that was particularly good. In general though, and despite laudable practice of distilling and entering low, I find WT can be a little coarse. Still, this current 8 is one of the best bourbons I've ever had. The experience reminds me of certain rock groups where I only like a couple of their songs,but when I like them, I really like them.

I do admire WT rye though, so while I am not a fan in general of WT I do like year in year out a few examples of what they put out and as I say this 8 year was outstanding.

Gary

BourbonJoe
10-12-2007, 03:16
Last night was a bourbon & coke "1" using a half gallon of Old forester 86 tax stamped, that I bought on e-bay, into which some SOB had dumped Old Fashioned Mix. Quite tasty in the coke with a couple of cherries though. One of the few times I got screwed on E-Bay.

OscarV
10-12-2007, 14:16
Evan Williams on the rocks. nice oak and mint.
Heaven Hill's flagship, not the Single Barrel.

mulbish
10-12-2007, 16:16
This week it is WL Weller 8 yr. Which is (again) one hell of a deal when it comes to a good bourbon for the money. Hmmmm, makes my mouth water just typing about it. I won't be home for another 2-3 hrs. I think I might try it neat, even though I will probably end up adding a few cubes and a splash of aqua.

Unfortunately, there won't be but a few pours tonight as I have to be back here to work at 09:30 in the morning. No rest for the wicked.:70358-devil:

Cheers

whiskeyhatch
10-12-2007, 19:25
Lining up EW 1783 w/ the 10 yr age statement against the one w/out. Not surprisingly, the '10 Years Old' has more of a vanilla wood char aroma that tones down the corn. The 'No. 10 Brand' has a stronger aroma of corn and smells/tastes a bit younger. Still a helluva deal for 11 bucks! Just to be fair, I'll do this again in a blind test.

ACDetroit
10-12-2007, 19:37
I was going to have the rest of the ETL tonight but with just a couple pours left, I added it to the couple of pours of RHF and then a splach of some 1999 WTRB. Looks like I could get about 5 or 6 pours out now. It seems much more complex than the RHF alone last night.

Thanks to Gillman and also the new post from Chuck! I would never have done this with out some insight from the 2 of you...so Cheers to the both of you. This mix aint bad.

Tony

HipFlask
10-12-2007, 23:59
I went to an Irish bar and comsumed some Guiness and finished with some Irish whiskey called The Knot. Very interesting stuff. I have since found out that it is Irish Whiskey liqueur at 100 proof. Now I know the reason for the butterscotch taste. It was surprisingly good.

HighTower
10-13-2007, 05:50
Tonight it was AAA 10yo and some Woodford Reserve.

Scott

Gillman
10-13-2007, 06:22
I forgot to mention tasting a few nights ago from an opened bottle I have of Elijah Craig 12 years old. This particular one had a deep reddish colour and an emphatic yet rounded flavor of pure bourbon (almost brandy-like in effect) with no off-flavors whatever. It seems at once sweeter than the EW single barrel series and more complex, good as the stablemates are: the mingling evidently is skilfully done to achieve complexity and a definite profile. The rye small grains survive in the flavor but the corn oil apparent in some whiskeys released at earlier maturities is gone.

It is ideal for neat sipping and in fact I think some of its subtleties are lost when adding ice or water.

This whiskey is really a superb value, it offers everything you want but does not charge an arm and a leg.

Some years ago I found the bottlings somewhat variable but in the last couple of years all are really good, I think the house has put an extra focus on this brand to make it its flagship.

Much as I like VOB and 1792, for variety and quality at the highest level, I have to give it to Heaven Hill. To my mind they make the ultimate Nelson County bourbons.

Gary

Gillman
10-13-2007, 14:10
Cold remedies are still the order of the day, so I put this together: 2 parts JDSB, one each of Harper 80 and vodka, two cherries, half a teaspoon brown sugar and both Angostura and Peychaud's bitters. An Old-Fashioned for the ages. I'd have felt better drinking this after my customary two hours on the bike Saturday afternoon but will delay the cycling until the "breath mints" feeling in the lungs is gone.

Gary

NorCalBoozer
10-13-2007, 17:23
a really great Sazerac with PWV 15.

I'm going to go pick up the rest of the PWV 15's they had stocked. this stuff is sooo good.

CrispyCritter
10-13-2007, 19:16
First, La Bicyclette (http://spiritsandcocktails.wordpress.com/2007/06/13/st-germain-elderflower-liqueur/), twice, using Hendrick's Gin, Vya red vermouth, and Fee's peach bitters along with the St.-Germain... now, a lovely pour of Hirsch 16 gold wax. If I pour anything else tonight, I'll probably go with Blanton's.

Solomon2
10-13-2007, 19:33
Lot B, Sazerac Rye, Basil Hayden's, and my newest acquisition, a bottle of ETL (thank you, forum). I surprised at how similar-tasting the last three are compared to the Van Winkle. Maybe I had too much Lot B to start with?

HighTower
10-14-2007, 03:21
Lot B, Sazerac Rye, Basil Hayden's, and my newest acquisition, a bottle of ETL (thank you, forum). I surprised at how similar-tasting the last three are compared to the Van Winkle. Maybe I had too much Lot B to start with?
The Lot B is wheat recipe, the rest are rye.....could have something to do with it :grin:

Scott

Kendall
10-14-2007, 17:21
Russell's Reserve 10y 90p,excellent!

TNbourbon
10-14-2007, 17:35
I'm down to seven open bourbons (I recently Parafilm-ed about 30 bottles for future 'tasting' and sharing -- or 'special' occasions) -- Eagle Rare 17 2006, GTS '06, Jefferson Reserve 15yo, Old Forester BIB 1988, Old Rip Van Winkle 15yo, Pappy 15, Pappy 20 -- all are less than half full tonight. The OF BIB was opened to satisfy my current 'kick' -- bourbon and cola (though I prefer wheaters w/ cola, I can't justify the VWs). Ryes and Canadian/Scotch/Irish are next to disappear.
Anyway, tonight, I've enjoyed a pour of diet cola-OForBIB and diet cola-Jefferson 15. (By the way, I taste each 'neat' before pouring the cola, for whatever that's worth).
When I clear the sideboard, I will thereafter open only what I feel like drinking at the moment. I'll leave you to decide whether this is maturity or immaturity...:rolleyes:
UPDATE: Just poured some Alberta 25yo (Canadian), freshened with a dollop of Rittenhouse 21yo SB, and topped with diet ginger ale, to accompany the denouement of John Sandford's most-recent novel. (My guess is I'll be at the gym at 11 p.m., feeling guilty about the calories from the alcohol...)
THE DENOUEMENT: Worth it! Read Sandford...(Sandford is a former Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist. I have an affinity to journalists...)
P.P.S. -- Poured some of the last quarter-bottle of ORVW 15/107 I possess while visiting the chat room for the first time in a long time. Finally poured some diet Big K (Kroger) cola over it. Got a case of hiccups, besides. Guess I'm just not much of a whiskey maven anymore...

Gillman
10-14-2007, 18:46
Half Pappy 15, half Rutledge FRSB, two cherries. Don't knock it til you try it. :)

Gary

mgilbertva
10-14-2007, 19:12
2007 OF BDay Bourbon. Since it's my BDay, it seemed appropriate.

bigtoys
10-14-2007, 20:04
Made it to Blue Smoke in NYC the other night. Had BBQ Brisket (lean), mashed potatoes, cornbread and coleslaw and 2 glasses of their special van Winkle bourbon-neat. Wish they sold it. Bartender also gave us a taste of Four Roses; will be getting that soon, saw in Malt Advocate that there's a barrel strength, too.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/blsm3.jpg

CrispyCritter
10-14-2007, 20:14
After my experimental "Coeur de France" cocktail (see here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=98928&postcount=3) for the recipe), I'm now kicking back with a generous pour of Baby Saz.

barturtle
10-14-2007, 20:24
Blanton's Straight from the Barrel here. Damn fine pour, though availability is rotten...

ggilbertva
10-14-2007, 21:47
Binny's pick Weller 12 year.

barturtle
10-14-2007, 22:11
Blanton's Straight from the Barrel here. Damn fine pour, though availability is rotten...

and a wee nip of Willett #1...funny this has rotten availability too...:slappin:

OscarV
10-15-2007, 13:12
The 8 year old version of Wild Turkey.
Picked it up at the Duty Free Shop before entering Windsor on Saturday.
You know the taste of the hard red candy around a candy apple that you get at the carnival? The nose has this.
The taste bowls me over, like burnt honey, if there is such a thing, then the spice kicks in. Several layers of taste.
The finish lasts forever.
This bottle is as good if not better than the last Kentucky Spirit I opened.

Dear Mr. Russell,....Please let us Americans have the 8 year old back!

drrich1965
10-15-2007, 14:11
Based upon reading the BOB discussions, I picked up Old Granddad BOB and Old Weller Antique 107, in order to compare rye verses wheat based bourbons. The spice rye notes are immediately apparent in the OGD. OW is a bit more backed cookies, and perhaps a bit "musty" as well.

My first impressions of the tastes..
OG- Spicy rye, medium oak, bitter citrus.
OW-Hard for me to describe, in truth. I still am learning to pull tastes apart. Give me a single malt, and I can dissect the heck out if it. This is very new for me.

I like them both, with a first impression giving the nod to OGD, which does not surprise me, as I like rye a good deal.

Ruby K
10-15-2007, 14:55
So far, the Weller Centennial and ORVW 15, with a bottle of ETL waiting in the wings.

mozilla
10-15-2007, 19:06
Virgin Bourbon 7 year 101 proof.

ggilbertva
10-15-2007, 19:11
Tonight I sampled three different bourbons. Started off with VOB BIB. Switched to a special bottling of Weller Antique which was a single barrel 9 year. Then had some Binny's honey barrel Weller 12 (14 year). And now I'm having chocolate ice cream. Yummy. :yum:

tsh3406
10-15-2007, 19:33
Getting ready for first ever pour of OGD BIB, have the 114 as well. May try them both. Thinking about some Bernheim too, that is one tasty adult beverage.

Tim

SBOmarc
10-15-2007, 19:43
More Binny's Blanton's. I had planned on saving 4 of the bottles for Gifts.

At this rate I had better go shopping.

ACDetroit
10-15-2007, 21:32
Well I'm trying to finish my mixture tonight but it aint happenin! I mixed a couple pours of RHF, ETL and a good heavy pour of WTRB into my RHF bottle, makes for a really neat pour. After a good 4 oz. of that I went back for round 2 with the new A.H Hirsch 16 (Blue Wax). I'm finding the more I go to this bottle the more I like it, and I really !!! liked it the first time. I'm saying prayers tonight that I find another (3) of these.

God, bless all the master distillers and may they follow in the footsteps of those who went before them, for we are followers of you Lord, drinking the nectar of those you've put in charge of these wonderful establishments (Distilleries). Amen!

AC

ILLfarmboy
10-15-2007, 21:35
Booker's, as I'm sitting here contemplating the changing seasons And the things that will need to be done, putting insulation around the upstairs window air-conditioner. Is it too soon for that? Will we have another spate of unusually warm weather? I need to cart the humidifier up from the basement, drain the fuel from the weed eater and chainsaws and cart them down to the basement. But for now I'll just have another glass.......:skep: sleep will come easy tonight......

HighTower
10-16-2007, 05:59
Tonight I started with RR101, but then decided to open the bottle next to it, Thomas Handy Rye. Holy crap I wish I has done this earlier! This stuff is amazing!
I have now had a couple, and I think it's time for bed!:grin:

Scott

BourbonJoe
10-16-2007, 07:52
Tonight I started with RR101, but then decided to open the bottle next to it, Thomas Handy Rye. Holy crap I wish I has done this earlier! This stuff is amazing!
I have now had a couple, and I think it's time for bed!:grin:

Scott

Nothing like great rye Scott, and Handy is great rye. I think it blows the doors off Rittenhouse 21 for less than half the price.

HighTower
10-16-2007, 13:36
Nothing like great rye Scott, and Handy is great rye. I think it blows the doors off Rittenhouse 21 for less than half the price.
I have been thinking about taking the plunge on a Rittenhouse 21 for some time Joe, but haven't been able to bring myself to do it. (That's 6 bottles of Weller 12!) I think if it were barrel proof, I may have done it.
Thanks for the insight/advice!

Scott

Solomon2
10-16-2007, 16:19
Tony, did you actually eat anything today, or have you decided to go on an all-liquid diet? :slappin:

ggilbertva
10-16-2007, 17:11
Tonight I had to have another pour of my Weller Antique single barrel. I love the regular Antique but his variant is simply fantastic. Man I love bourbon!

Empty Glass
10-16-2007, 19:22
I just poured a rather large ration of my SBC.com Pappy 23 B2#36...sort of resembles a large ice tea w/o the ice and thanks for asking...cheers!

whiskeyhatch
10-16-2007, 22:56
A wise man once said, "Whiskey don't keep." So, in that spirit, I have been trying to draw down some stuff that I haven't touched in a while. Tonight I got to work on a bottle of AA that I've had for about a year. Not the 10 yo or 10 star, but the 80 proof with no age statement. Didn't expect to enjoy it (and I've said some negative things about it in the past) but tonight, I am impressed by the rich rye flavor balanced with a not-so-young corn sweetness. (Kind of reminds me of Old Charter.) The low (80) proof is noticable but... this is a really pleasant bourbon!

HighTower
10-17-2007, 05:15
Tonight I had started with some Binnys Weller 12.
Moved onto Ridgemont Reserve. I still find this bourbon "different".
Then I decided it was time to revisit my Hirsch 16 gold foil. I still don't like this bourbon, I wish it was a wax top, so I could at least see what the fuss is about.

Finished up with Thomas Handy Rye. Hell yeah!!

Scott

whiskeyhatch
10-17-2007, 21:29
Heaven Hill BIB. Very good!

ACDetroit
10-18-2007, 02:34
Hey Solomon2, this posts is for you! Trips are bad because? no work in the morning that's why. Started the evening with WTKS 2004, switched to PVWFR 15yr new bottling...WOW! Opened a bottle of W.L. Weller 12yr from Party Source picked up on my way to Florence, and 2 of us about finished it. two Weller Special Reserve and G-ale and now a Turkey 101 and Pepsi...Tell the new guy I'm sorry! I may try to grab some sleep or just go to Lexington in a couple hours.

I think the guy I met tonight may sign up he lives in Covington KY. I did have some Pizza for those of you wondering.

AC

P.S. Party Source is out of the hand selected FRSB.

NorCalBoozer
10-18-2007, 09:04
[FONT=Georgia] switched to PVWFR 15yr new bottling...WOW!

That PVW15 is damn good, ain't it???? I wonder if some amount of stitzel weller is/was held to mingle with the BT distilate? regardless this stuff is an A+++. It's probably creeped into my top 5.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

mgilbertva
10-18-2007, 14:43
Definitely my top 5. I have stated numerous times I think 15yrs is the sweet spot for the bourbon - I prefer it over the 20 and the (retail) 23yr.

chilidawg7
10-18-2007, 15:20
tonight i am indulging in the Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection (6 yr)

should be tasty.

Gillman
10-18-2007, 15:39
My own mingling of National Distillers Old Taylor (all from the late 70's-early 80's, ones I bought myself but including some traded from Tim).

The nose is very NDOT: maple, butterscotch, candy corn.

The taste is sweetish, perfumed, with more maple/candied notes in a light, elegant interpretation.

It drinks very soft and long with the wood and light char notes very well-integrated.

It has about 6 or 7 Taylors in it and the average proof must be about 82-84.

It is very fine, and nothing in the modern repertoire of the houses really comes close (to this particular taste).

Gary

stroker394
10-18-2007, 18:47
Evan Williams Black Label.

ggilbertva
10-18-2007, 18:53
Weller Antique....bottle is empty. Thankfully I have more.

TBoner
10-18-2007, 19:26
First KC, then Baker's. These are in top form right now.

Now, a bit of homemade vatted Scotch, poured from a 200mL bottle consisting of:

100mL Tomatin 12
25mL Famous Grouse 12
25 mL HP 12
25 mL Dalmore 12
25 mL Bowmore 12

A very balanced, nicely sherried pour built on an inexpensive base. I'm enjoying.

ACDetroit
10-18-2007, 20:04
I'm going easy tonight. Started with a few small pours of ER 17 yr. and now a bottle of OW antique 107 $15.50 a bottle today.

AC

SBOmarc
10-18-2007, 21:27
What was your opinion of the Eagle Rare 17? I found it to be the least of the BTAC. To tell you the truth I prefer ERSB 90 proof and it sure is easier on the wallet.

whiskeyhatch
10-18-2007, 22:01
EWBL. It's not as bad as I remember it being. Rather enjoyable, actually. From now on, anytime I get a seemingly bad bottle of bourbon, I will let it sit for several months and see what happens. So far, this has been working for me.

ACDetroit
10-18-2007, 22:33
The 17 is very mild and I am not a huge fan. The f;avors are weak and the finish is quite light.

I'm leaving it at my buddy's house in Lexington. It was $53 today.

I would rather have the Weller 12 yr.

AC

NorCalBoozer
10-19-2007, 10:22
The 17 is very mild and I am not a huge fan. The f;avors are weak and the finish is quite light.

I'm leaving it at my buddy's house in Lexington. It was $53 today.

I would rather have the Weller 12 yr.

AC

I can appreciate the 17 in comparison to something like Makers/etc, but it just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the BTAC, and like you say, the price point doesn't seem to be as good a value as the rest of the BTAC.

SingleBarrel
10-19-2007, 10:58
George T. Stagg - 2006 Version. I'm down to 1/2 bottle and only hope I can make it last long enough to replace with a new 2007 - if I can find it! Seems like a short drive up to Kentucky may be in my future!

camduncan
10-19-2007, 12:43
Last night it was some Old Fitzgerald 1849.... over ice.

OscarV
10-19-2007, 13:56
It has finally cooled down, I got a W L Weller Centennial yesterday and sipping some neat now. Just right.

Johnny123
10-19-2007, 14:20
Just had the Pappy 23 yr at Blue Smoke in NYC......Well worth the steep price tag.....They also had a Pappy 18 yr that is bottled under their name....going back for that next week

drrich1965
10-19-2007, 15:07
After a few days of OW 107 and Old Granddad BIB, back to WT 101.....just plain good whisky..

NickAtMartinis
10-19-2007, 20:02
Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

Water on the rocks with a splash of water.

SBOmarc
10-19-2007, 20:18
Water on the rocks with a splash of water.

Makers Mark?

Virus_Of_Life
10-20-2007, 22:31
Noah's Mill. Pretty darn good stuff really!

HipFlask
10-20-2007, 23:23
Started off with Van Winkle family reserve Rye 13 year. Then I opened the new bottle of WT RR Rye that I found yestrday. Then some Elmer T. Lee. next Buff Trace. Then to round it out for the night it was back to the Russel's Reserve Rye!

SingleBarrel
10-21-2007, 05:39
Just had the Pappy 23 yr at Blue Smoke in NYC......Well worth the steep price tag

Johnny 123:
I'm curious what the steep price tag was for the Pappy 23? I had it at the Jocky Silks lounge in Louisville for $40, and while good, I didn't find it worth that! :bigeyes:

Yellowjacket
10-21-2007, 14:12
Had several families get together yesterday and the guys, who were not too familiar with bourbon or rye, had a little sampling. We tried:

W. L. Weller 12 yo
Elijah Craig 12 yo
Evan Williams SB 1996
Woodford Reserve
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Sazerac 6 yo

Favorites were spread amongst all the samples, though the EC 12 seemed to be a little more popular. Nice to see people who think that “bourbon is bourbon” begin to realize some of the different styles and qualities that are available and like them (even without Coke!).

Bob

mozilla
10-21-2007, 16:41
Sounds like fun, Bob. How did the EW 1996 hold up? Was it pre fire or post? Thanks for the info!

mozilla
10-21-2007, 17:52
Brought out one from the bunker...Old Taylor 80/ 1.75 from 1991. Wanted to see how it compared to the 86 proof I was working on last week. It has alot of the same style, but without the punch I got used to. Not a bad pour by any means....better than most other 80 proofers. Just not OT 86.

TBoner
10-21-2007, 18:58
You're right about the 80-proof Taylor. Good, but I prefer the 86-proof.

I'm sipping on a bit of Glenfiddich Solera Reserve right now. I'm really enjoying this bottle.

Earlier I had a variation on Chuck Taggart's Reveillon cocktail, sort of crossed with a Vieux Carre. I posted about it in the "Non-whiskey Alcohol" forum.

SBOmarc
10-21-2007, 19:35
Tried to go for one good wheater and an equal as Rye.

Weller 12...... Lot B

Both fine whiskies, a great examples showing off both genres of this fine drink.

ILLfarmboy
10-21-2007, 19:49
A bit of Jamesons in a cup of strongly brewed Irish Breakfast Tea. I'm feeling a bit under the weather.

T47
10-21-2007, 21:24
I have been enjoying some Fighting Cock. Like most rye heavy Bourbons I have tried I really enjoyed it. Nice color, strong nose, good flavor. I will have to add a couple drops of water or a couple ice cubes to see what that does. Could do a lot worse with my $18.

:toast:

whiskeyhatch
10-21-2007, 22:06
Reached way back and pulled out a bottle of Old Fitzgerald 80 proof. Wow!, I said to myself. This has none of that nasty grassiness that's been coming out of Louisville/Bardstown these days! I almost forgot it was an 80 proof! It even beats my current bottle of BIB. Strange! I'm going to pick up another bottle tomorrow in hopes that I ain't dreamin'!

HighTower
10-21-2007, 23:54
Tried to go for one good wheater and an equal as Rye.

Weller 12...... Lot B

Both fine whiskies, a great examples showing off both genres of this fine drink.
I'm confused, aren't they both wheaters?

Scott

camduncan
10-22-2007, 00:16
I think I'll go for a OGD 114, or Pappy 15, or......heck, I don't know. It's been one of those days :( I probably should skip straight to the Stagg or Bookers :bigeyes:

jburlowski
10-22-2007, 14:44
It was quite a weeken: WTAS followed by Parker's Heritage. It's going to be hard to go back to more pedestrian pours...

SBOmarc
10-22-2007, 15:10
I feel so bad for you...

Gillman
10-22-2007, 17:24
One ounce Bulleit. Ditto of Woodford. Dash vodka. Dash water. Dash bitters. Cube.

As we used to say in Quebec, "ca bouge" (broadly, it rocks).

Gary

Gillman
10-22-2007, 17:45
People know I'm into etymology and it just hit me: the word boogie may be related to the French words "bouge" and "bouger" (which mean move and to move: "ca bouge" means literally, it moves).

Some old spin-off of a French expression in New Orleans, probably.

Gary

Solomon2
10-22-2007, 18:08
Thanks for the updates, Tony. I know I have folks like you here at SB.com to thank for my making good choices. But I do envy your stamina.

ETL followed by Lot B tonight - about a half-tablespoon of each. The new 15yo Pappy isn't available yet here in Montgomery County, Maryland - how does it compare to the Lot B?

mgilbertva
10-22-2007, 18:33
I'm not having anything :frown: - friggin' cold messing up my sinuses and sense of taste.

Solomon2
10-22-2007, 19:06
Try vodka with honey.

doubleblank
10-22-2007, 19:45
OF BB from 2002.....the inaugural release. This bourbon has everything....spice, sweetness, some wood and fine balance. This could be a regular pour if it was still available.

Randy

SBOmarc
10-22-2007, 19:47
I'm confused, aren't they both wheaters?

Scott

Pardon me, I was informed by a bystander that I was drunk that evening.

Drunk Posting, a danger to us all.

Solomon2
10-23-2007, 19:18
Basil Hayden's, ETL, and Johnny Walker Red, in that order. Really brings out the distinctions between scotch and bourbon: ETL is sweeter on the tongue, JWR has peat smoke.

stroker394
10-23-2007, 19:28
The last of my Evan Williams. Will wait until tomorrow night to get into the Woodford Reserve

Jazzhead
10-23-2007, 20:32
Just for fun I started out with a 22 yr -old Classic Cask straight rye, from an unknown distillery but all fruit and mint, and a 3-year old Pikesville Supreme. I'm winding the evening down with the Pikesville, and as this dram gets some air in it and the flavors open up nicely, it'd be a hoot to know what it'd taste like if it were left undisturbed in oak for another 19 years. I'll say this - I detect enough of a faint familial resemble to speculate that the Classic Cask could well be a HH product.

T47
10-23-2007, 20:40
Still enjoying the Fighting Cock. This time I let it sit for a while, then added one small ice cube. If possible the nose seems "sweeter", maybe floral is the word I'm looking for. The taste is more fruity and mellow, the finish still spicey. Odd marketing, but a nice drink.

:toast:

stroker394
10-24-2007, 19:47
Started with VOB and then OGD. Really enjoyed the VOB. Seems really smooth. OGD seems a bit spicy.

ACDetroit
10-24-2007, 19:54
Well it was Octoberfest on tap at the Sugarbush Tavern, but now that I'm home it's the spring KY release of the G.T. Stagg. Just for the record the legs running down the glass is like porn:lol: ! I really like this stuff.

ILLfarmboy
10-24-2007, 20:17
ER 17 '06 and it is particularly delicious tonight. There is nothing like a hot bath and a glass of good bourbon to make you feel better when recovering from a head cold. that is, at least once your sinuses finally open up so you can taste again!

Phischy
10-25-2007, 23:50
I cracked open my new bottles of Rittenhouse BIB and Pappy 15.

First: Rittenhouse BIB 100: hot and spicy. Would go well with wings, thai food etc... Drinkable but not something I'd use as a daily pour.

Second: Pappy 15. I must note, my sister has 2 bottles waiting for me in Houston. I found 1 bottle out here but decided to send it to a buddy. Today I found my 4th bottle. And I opened it tonight! So very good, my buddy is going to OWE me for this! I'm also sending him Lot B. It was his birthday and I'm a month or more behind...but yeah, he'll love it.

Pappy 15 is so VERY hard to find in So Cal, glad I have 2 bottles left for the stash!

tango-papa
10-26-2007, 05:23
I cracked open my new bottles of Rittenhouse BIB and Pappy 15.

First: Rittenhouse BIB 100: hot and spicy. Would go well with wings, thai food etc... Drinkable but not something I'd use as a daily pour.

Second: Pappy 15. I must note, my sister has 2 bottles waiting for me in Houston. I found 1 bottle out here but decided to send it to a buddy. Today I found my 4th bottle. And I opened it tonight! So very good, my buddy is going to OWE me for this! I'm also sending him Lot B. It was his birthday and I'm a month or more behind...but yeah, he'll love it.

Pappy 15 is so VERY hard to find in So Cal, glad I have 2 bottles left for the stash!

With your 'connection' in Houston, you should be all set.
The annual Van Winkle shipments have hit the shelves in Houston...
The entire collection - 10yr/90, 10yr/107, 12yr/Lot B, 15yr, 20yr, 13yr Rye can all be seen at your better spirits retailers throughout the metro area.

Happy huntin'!

~tp

mrt
10-26-2007, 13:21
I got a few sips of Ten High.

jburlowski
10-26-2007, 14:25
Going to a (if the weather allows) bonfire tonight --- seems like a OGD 114 sort of occassion.

NickAtMartinis
10-26-2007, 14:27
I will be drinking EWSB 1997 and Weller Antique.

polyamnesia
10-26-2007, 15:29
bought a small bottle of Basil Hayden's just to give it a shot...and at least get a sense of a possibly decent low proof bourbon. about to finish it NOW...

it's fine. but i probably should not have allowed it to be preceded by a week of savoring that WT RR 90. THAT's probably what i'll drink later tonight! what a mysterious bottle. i was disappointed with the first two glasses. next day, it got more complex, more enjoyable. that trend continued. i am SURE there are "better" things out there, but this rates high. i am very impressed with it.

this BH seems thin. it's the finish that actually disappoints....:rolleyes:

glad i didn't buy a big bottle...

heatmiser
10-26-2007, 17:48
I live in San Diego and was evacuated from my house all week due the fires. I came home yesterday to a jacuzzi cover wide open and tons of dirt, leaves and ashes inside. I spent the majority of today cleaning up the front and back yards along with the jacuzzi. Time for a drink (or four)!!!

luv2hunt
10-26-2007, 20:15
And I bet you're thankful that your house is still there. The stories on the news are incredible.....

Phischy
10-26-2007, 20:48
It could have been much worse. THe winds did not pick up again on Tuesday which saved a ton of homes. Had Monday rehappened Tuesday, the fire would have burned to the coast and toasted San Diego.

I work with the County and spent 3 days working nights updating fire maps, road closures etc.... Helping Health and Human Services.

Interesting and LONG week.

Oh, and I'll be drinkin' Van Winkle Rye later tonight.

heatmiser
10-26-2007, 23:14
Hey Phiscy, great job this past week! In terms of a disaster this size I am amazed we only lost 1,300 homes. I live in 4S Ranch (Rancho Bernardo) and the fire just skirted by our neighborhood. All the homes in north 4S Ranch along on the perimeter were skirted by flames but no homes lost. Unfortunately that wasn't the case just east and north of us.

Those firefighters deserve a HUGE thanks for all of their incredible work. Without them we would have all came home to chimney stacks and ashes. I am toasting them tonight with some ORVW15 & OGD114 (ND). :toast:

gothbat
10-26-2007, 23:56
06' WLW, 06' GTS, Weller Antique 107 (I've never seen anyone abbreviate this one. If this is not just case of not noticing then why? WA107?)

ILLfarmboy
10-27-2007, 00:08
Just got back from town where I had stopped at a roadside bar and had a WT101 and water before heading heading back home. I had an idea for a thread and snapped a pick of the back bar using my cell phone but I don't think it turned out. Bad lighting!

HighTower
10-27-2007, 03:46
Today I had some Jack, some Gentleman Jack, and some more Jack. Also had a handful of Lynchburg Lemonades.

All you guys in CA near those fires - glad you're doing ok. There's some crazy images coming through on the news.
Jeff - I imagine if your house went up we would see the mushroom cloud from Oz!
Hope it stays safe where you are.

Scott

camduncan
10-27-2007, 05:03
Tonight I started out with a couple of decent pours of Makers Mark.
During our bbq dinner, I had a Jim Beam and coke on the rocks.
After dinner, I had a real decent slug of Elmer T Lee on ice.
I'd planned to finish on some Wild Turkey liquor, but was all out. so I had a coffee and baileys for desert.

polyamnesia
10-27-2007, 08:11
I'd planned to finish on some Wild Turkey liquor, but was all out...

hey cameron

are you talking about the new WT honey liqueur? if not, which WT is this? curious about the honey one. i already like most honey based bottlings, esp. berenmeister (sp?)

SBOmarc
10-27-2007, 20:40
Fall '06 GTS,

Thanks to all Firefighters that worked on these fires all around SoCal.

mgilbertva
10-27-2007, 21:06
George Dickel Barrel Select. To me this whiskey has more of the maple-charcoal flavor peculiar to Tennessees than any other. Not in a bad way - quite the contrary. It may almost rival JD Silver Select for me. Not especially intense, it's perfect for when you want something a little more civilized. GDBS is very well balanced with just the right amount of sweetness, smokiness, spice and tree fruit. The finish is moderately long.

I'd like to keep this whiskey around as it's something that a great choice when I'm not in a kick-me-in-the-teeth mood like when I turn to Stagg.

luv2hunt
10-28-2007, 11:38
Watching the Colts game....WLW '06 vs WLW '07 :grin::grin:

Barrel_Proof
10-28-2007, 11:43
Watching the Colts game....WLW '06 vs WLW '07 :grin::grin:

Notes, please! On the whiskies, that is!

luv2hunt
10-28-2007, 11:56
I'm not good at that.....so here's what you get:

WLW '06--has been one of my favorites--dark color, rich nose, it's complex with a sweet chewiness...finish that keeps going and going!

WLW '07--two years younger--lower proof--lacks the deep color, nose is almost identical to the 06--but softer; none of the complexities, it's simple and sweet. Nice finish without the warmth in the mouth. I like it :)
I think I've decided that they took the char depth and high alcohol type bite out of the 2006 version with this one. Did I say I like it? I might not tomorrow.....but today, I like it!

Dawn

mrt
10-28-2007, 12:44
Bulleit bourbon, with a peace of choclate.

mrt
10-28-2007, 12:46
Bulleit Bourbon, with a piece of choclate.

jburlowski
10-28-2007, 15:33
[quote=mgilbertva;100062]George Dickel Barrel Select. To me this whiskey has more of the maple-charcoal flavor peculiar to Tennessees than any other. Not in a bad way - quite the contrary. It may almost rival JD Silver Select for me. Not especially intense, it's perfect for when you want something a little more civilized. GDBS is very well balanced with just the right amount of sweetness, smokiness, spice and tree fruit. The finish is moderately long.

quote]

For my money, this is the best of the TN whiskey expressions.

Gillman
10-28-2007, 15:33
Did a 60 minute bike ride (too short) abbreviated due to being too cold even though I wore three layers. I need to figure out how to keep warm at 50 degrees F and under, maybe Goretex or something like that, any tips?

I waited a decent time to warm up and pulled out a beer to rehydrate, Hockley Gold, a local micro beer that is very close to an English draught bitter with a big, Goldings-like taste (lemony and piney against a malty base): superb.

Then, I poured a Weller Antique 107 (one of the Cork & Bottle barrel selections I've mentioned recently) with a dash of (of all things) Portuguese spring water Libby happened to buy. This water turns out to be absolutely perfect for addition to whiskey! The reason is I think its softness, rarely have I had water so soft, it seems to get into the interstices of the whiskey and display it to perfection.

So maybe at 90 proof now, I am getting a maple sweet quality, with good smokey wood too, and a luscious kind of Kentucky warmth. But on top of that is the inimitable Weller 107 quality which is a particular fruitiness (hard to explain) that melds with the other qualities. A very fine whiskey that happens to be a great value. Cheers.

Gary

SBOmarc
10-28-2007, 18:28
RR 90 on one cube. Van Winkle Lot B neat. If I have another it will be of the Lot B,

mozilla
10-28-2007, 20:54
On the way back from hunting this last Friday, we stopped off and bought a 200ml for the non-drivers. Just something cheap mind you...Old Crow. Damn, this stuff was horrible. No flavor that was pleasant made itself appearant. It was not a hit with anyone in the vehicle. What the heck is going on in Boston and Clearmont. Can't they even make a good cheap bourbon. HH can! Actually, most of HH bourbons are cheap and still taste better than Crow or even Beam white. What a sad time we live in, to enjoy such crappy bourbon.

Cornman
10-29-2007, 00:00
Messing around mixing Elijah Craig 18 & 12 yo in various proportions. I like 18 alot. It might be improved (for me) with a bit of 12, but only a very little bit, maybe one part in 6. More than that overwhelms the more subtle aspects of the EC18.

wskybnt
10-29-2007, 18:08
I was asking my local guy about the new Turkeys, and he is looking into getting them for me. So while in the mood I got some RB. I drink this often, but its still not enough. I mean this is $60 bourbon for half price.......

polyamnesia
10-29-2007, 18:53
instead of bouncing around with the tempting new bottles, i am sticking with the OWeller 107 tonight...one neat a few hours ago...then one with a really small splash of water. did the water last time (this weekend) and felt that it weakened it. but i think this smaller bit of water opened it up without taking away the edge i liked at the "mild" 107 proof.

great pour!

that finish is what i am still working on understanding. something that was there last time (past weekend)...but i can't quite put my finger (or tongue) on it.

a good musty-ness? i don't know if it's the "woodiness" or what.

ILLfarmboy
10-29-2007, 18:53
OGD 114 and now a bit of WT RB.

doubleblank
10-29-2007, 19:09
A little mustiness is not uncommon in a BT whiskey finish.

Randy

If you're not thinking about whiskey and women 100% of the time, you're not concentrating.

polyamnesia
10-29-2007, 19:15
A little mustiness is not uncommon in a BT whiskey finish.

Randy

If you're not thinking about whiskey and women 100% of the time, you're not concentrating.

thanks...i guess that was an accurate description. i didn't want to say moldiness! but that's not quite it anyways!! now what is "BT" ?

i usually can figure out the abbreviations used throughout, but it's too late tonight for me to extend my brain...:rolleyes: :)

doubleblank
10-29-2007, 19:22
Buffalo Trace.......there is actually a list of common abreviations somewhere here put together by Barturtle....aka Timothy.

ACDetroit
10-29-2007, 19:44
A good size pour of some 16 yr. A.H. Hirsch first release. I am really liking this bottle!!!

mythrenegade
10-29-2007, 23:16
Just finished a bottle of Russell's Reserve (90). I was actually quite disappointed when I discovered this used to be a higher proof bottling, but over time I've really grown to like it. I think I will buy another bottle of this, a first for any Wild Turkey product.

Joel

wildcatdon
10-30-2007, 13:06
Russell's is one of my favorites..just finished a bottle myself..I think my next buy is some 1792 and some Old Charter Proprietors Reserve...

stroker394
10-30-2007, 18:30
VOB 80 proof with aged in oak on shoulder label.

barturtle
10-30-2007, 18:38
VOB 80 proof with aged in oak on shoulder label.

Aged in oak on shoulder label...not an age statement? IIRC the last NAS VOB I remember seeing was about a decade ago.

polyamnesia
10-30-2007, 18:42
Buffalo Trace.......there is actually a list of common abreviations somewhere here put together by Barturtle....aka Timothy.

thanks...my brain was not on (or would that be "turned off") and i had already had 2 OWeller 107s....
BTrace is fine stuff..but i need to try it again. at $19.99 here in PA, i think that's plenty fair!

anyways, tonight, experimenting further with a small, neat glass of Ridgemont Reserve...then again, with a minimal micro splash of water...to detect differences...

barturtle
10-30-2007, 18:47

It's under the announcements in the New to Straightbourbon forum.

I might have to think about getting around to updating it sometime...

ACDetroit
10-30-2007, 20:13
The 2007 BTAC,
Coming in at Number 1 would be then SAZ 18, followed up by the 17 yr, eagle next with the Weller knocking at the door (hard choice between these 2). This years Stagg is harsh in the neat but with a splash (A.K.A 1 Gallon:slappin: of H2O) it has a finish I've never had. Lots of ripe fruitr and Dark Chocolate. As for the Handy WoW this stuff is hot...It's entry is like fire. no kidding...but add a dash of water and it really opens this bottle up. As for my personal rating

1. Sazerac (don't buy this bottle)
2. ER 17 yr.
3. Weller
4. Stagg
5. Handy ( this stuff is HOT)

Tony

tango-papa
10-31-2007, 06:58
The 2007 BTAC,

Coming in at Number 1 would be then SAZ 18...
(don't buy this bottle)...

Tony

:slappin: :slappin: :slappin::slappin::slappin:

~tp

Sijan
10-31-2007, 09:26
Tried the new OFBB 2007 last night - finally got my hands on a bottle. Had a great nose - very sweet, molasses/brown sugar notes. But was a little disappointing on the palate - a bit more acidic and astringent than the nose promised, also lighter than expected and a bit woody. But then the finish was very nice, with nice minty notes. I think I like the 2005 and 2006 releases better, but might prefer the 2007 to the 2004. Of course, this is all from vague memories - would really have to do a head-to-head to know for sure.

Also tried some new scotch last night - Bruichladdich 15 yo Second Edition, which I generally enjoyed although I'm not sure what I think of the combination of (admittedly light) peat with what is otherwise a very light whiskey - I was getting an odd burnt rubber type taste that did not seem to be in synch with the rest of the whiskey. I think I'll need to revisit this one a few times before I know what I think of it.

And pulled some JW Gold out of the freezer for a nightcap. Very nice, sweet and smooth. Enjoyable to let it warm in your mouth and release the flavors.

wildcatdon
10-31-2007, 13:57
Tonight will finish my bottle of 18 yr old Elijah Craig..Then will finish my ORVW special reserve...not much left in either one..

ILLfarmboy
10-31-2007, 16:10
A Baby Saz old fashioned. Very delicious!

ACDetroit
10-31-2007, 16:55
2007 Sazerac 18 yr. I am really putting a dent in this bottle. Handing out candy.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! :70358-devil: EVERYONE! :70358-devil:

polyamnesia
10-31-2007, 17:25
ah, yes, the candy is GONE (i thought i'd have plenty left over to smuggle into movies AND take to school and give to students!)...all the while, sipped on my first taste of Bulleit...pretty fitting to drink this tonight with it's red hot devilish spiciness and it's orange and black label!

this being the last night of Oktober, i did squeeze in a bottle of AYINGER's Oktoberfest beer between pours and trickORtreaters.:grin:

Solomon2
10-31-2007, 18:51
Nothing tonight. I figure there's nothing that the little ones would find more distasteful than an adult answering the doorbell with alcohol on his breath.

gothbat
10-31-2007, 18:57
Since it's Halloween I'm drinking pumpkin ale (Post Road (Brooklyn Brewery)). I find this particular brand to have a bit too much of a spice taste to it and not enough pumpkin taste, it's not bad though. I've also got a bottle of Shipyard pumpkin ale but it's from last year. The more I have pumpkin ale in general the less I think I like it. I may have to switch to bourbon a little later.

NickAtMartinis
10-31-2007, 19:11
Since it's Halloween I'm drinking pumpkin ale (Post Road (Brooklyn Brewery)). I find this particular brand to have a bit too much of a spice taste to it and not enough pumpkin taste, it's not bad though. I've also got a bottle of Shipyard pumpkin ale but it's from last year. The more I have pumpkin ale in general the less I think I like it. I may have to switch to bourbon a little later.

I've only tried one pumpkin ale and I did not like. To much like pumpkin with tons of spice and not enough like beer. I never like to get too far away from the taste of the actual alcohol.

Ruby K
10-31-2007, 19:35
Sijan, you've inspired me... I've got a bottle of the OFBB i've picked up last week, when I hit a point worthy of celebrating in my paper, I'll give it a taste.

NickAtMartinis
11-01-2007, 10:50
When night does arise I will be drinking some Sam Adams Octoberfest and Weller Antique.

OscarV
11-01-2007, 15:22
I have been switching back and forth between, Wild Turkey 8 year old age statement, Molson Golden, W. L. Welller Centennial 10yo, Molson Golden, Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve, Molson Golden, Wild Turkey Sherry Signature,.....so far it works!

TBoner
11-01-2007, 18:00
Sounds great, Oscar.

I looked at my open bottles tonight and realized that, much as I love them, I had only one dusty bottle open: S-W Weller 107. A great pour, but it seemed lonely amidst all the current production.

So, I'm opening an ND OGD 86 proof (w/8-yr age statement), a WTRR 101 and an early-80s (UPC, faux tax strip) Old Charter 90 from Louisville. Love me some UD.

EDITED TO ADD: Before the above, I decided to crack a half-pint of S-W Old Fitz Prime. It's been awhile since my last OFitz BIB, but this is just spectacular. Very rich and full, caramel and cotton candy, and a never-ending finish.

NickAtMartinis
11-01-2007, 19:00
As I mentioned earlier, I am drinking Sam Adams Octoberfest and Weller Antique.

So far, I'm dissapointed by the Octoberfest and still love the Weller.

NorCalBoozer
11-01-2007, 19:57
'06 Stagg cut with a dash of water. This is my first taste of the '06. I lagged on getting it when it first came out and then all of a sudden it was gone. Luckily I found a store that had several that i was able to purchase.

What can you say about Stagg? Truly an American Classic. No year has ever dissapointed.

ACDetroit
11-01-2007, 20:57
I agree with NorCal, I'm nursing a glass of 07' Stagg also with a dash of water, and at 144.8 the water for me was a must.
This one may last longer than the others but I'm warming up to it...or should I say it's warming me up! :grin:

gothbat
11-01-2007, 21:25
Same here, finishing some GTS ('06), but no water for me. I had actually intended to add some because the past few times I had this I got a lot of alcohol burn but I took a sip of this glass straight before I was going to add it and decided it was great the way it was. Maybe I'll have a small pour with a little water next, I've always been curious...

gothbat
11-01-2007, 21:54
Maybe I'll have a small pour with a little water next...

... and that's exactly what I did (diluted to aprox. 100 proof (eyeballed)). The only difference that I really notice in the nose is the fact that the alcohol is less noticeable and I can put my nose in the glass without burning my nostrils. The change to the taste is interesting because although it is still good it is almost like a different bourbon, a lot sweeter than the taste before but not really like a wheater would taste. I also like what it's done to the finish, the finish is now like the taste of this bourbon before I watered it down.
I think I'll be adding a little bit of water to a few of my higher proofed favorites in the near future! :)

ggilbertva
11-02-2007, 18:05
I've finally managed a small amount of free time to visit SB.com. It's been some time since I've read or posted anything here.

Tonight, I'm relaxing with my wife and having a nice pour of Weller Antique single barrel 9 year. This is really a wonderful pour....I needed something since it's been at least a week or more since I've had anything!:rolleyes:

NickAtMartinis
11-02-2007, 18:35
I decided to crack open the Stagg '07 which I just purchased!!!!

It's quite similar to the Fall '06 but of course I'm going by memory since my GTS '06 went dry months ago. And, let me reiterate that my memory is indeed like a sponge, as in it's as pourous as one but not as absorbant.:lol:

Dang, I'm just gitty right now! :D

NickAtMartinis
11-02-2007, 18:39
I've finally managed a small amount of free time to visit SB.com. It's been some time since I've read or posted anything here.

Tonight, I'm relaxing with my wife and having a nice pour of Weller Antique single barrel 9 year. This is really a wonderful pour....I needed something since it's been at least a week or more since I've had anything!:rolleyes:

That sounds like a great pour, Greg. I'm a big fan of Weller Antique. Is there a big difference in flavor than the regular Weller Antique? And, how did you happen upon such a seemingly rare find?

NickAtMartinis
11-02-2007, 19:04
For those interested, Roll Call for the 3rd shift has begun. The location of 3rd shift thread can now be found in Off Topic.

Three, including myself, have checked in.:grin:

I also see if anyone's in the chat.

Everman75
11-02-2007, 19:06
I am a big fan of the Weller Antique...NOW! Tonight is my first time tasing it. I LOVE THIS BOURBON! So full, so smooth, so flavorful and such a bargain. Unbelieveable. I can't believe I've not had this until now. Actually I can. Bourbon selection here in Ohio is...eh!
Should I do one more pour? Hmm? Yeah, I think so. :grin:

NickAtMartinis
11-02-2007, 19:17
I am a big fan of the Weller Antique...NOW! Tonight is my first time tasing it. I LOVE THIS BOURBON! So full, so smooth, so flavorful and such a bargain. Unbelieveable. I can't believe I've not had this until now. Actually I can. Bourbon selection here in Ohio is...eh!
Should I do one more pour? Hmm? Yeah, I think so. :grin:

Welcome to the board. Weller Antique is a great bourbon for the price, if you asked me.

Enjoy!

Mark

ILLfarmboy
11-02-2007, 20:08
Christian Brothers neat. It's the only brandy I have in the house. Plain but pleasantly fruity.

TBoner
11-02-2007, 20:16
Two pours of WT 101 from different eras. Tasting notes in the Tasting section. Both very satisfying pours.

I may polish off my Rare Breed before the night is over, too.

gothbat
11-02-2007, 20:38
Drowning my end of vacation sorrows in a healthy pour of PVW20. It's been a good 3 weeks but on Monday it's back to the monotony of work for me. :/

Gillman
11-03-2007, 14:29
A Sazerac. I made it with 2 parts Bulleit, one part WR, one part 1970's Courvoisier VSOP, a dash 1970's Pernod, and spritzes of both orange and Peychaud's bitters. It follows a brisk 90 minute bike ride in circa 55 F weather here.

I added rocks this time, oh also, half-teaspoon soft brown sugar.

It is great, you guys would love it. Interestingly, the cinnamon red hots of the Bulleit still provides the top-note.

Gary

NickAtMartinis
11-03-2007, 15:45
I will be throwing back the '07 BTAC with the exception of Handy.

I'll be seeing you all in the "All Accounted for..." thread in Off Topic. Roll call at 10PM!:grin:

HighTower
11-03-2007, 16:02
Had a great night at camduncan's house last night where we sampled:
Pappy 23 2007 KBS Barrel C
George T Stagg 2004
Noah's Mill
EC18
VW Lot B
Pappy 15
Elmer T Lee
OGD 114

A great night was had by all!

Scott

ggilbertva
11-03-2007, 18:16
That sounds like a great pour, Greg. I'm a big fan of Weller Antique. Is there a big difference in flavor than the regular Weller Antique? And, how did you happen upon such a seemingly rare find?

Nick,

I too like Weller Antique very much but this single barrel variant is over the top fantastic. I love it. I acquired 3 bottles that were privately bottled by another enthusiast. I have three more bottles that come from a second barrel but have not picked them up yet. The big difference is of course the extra years of aging and the fact that it's a single barrel. I think it's significantly better that the regular pour, which is great on it's own.