PDA

View Full Version : On the Rocks.....

biglarry
10-01-2007, 02:05
I know a lot of ya'll like your bourbon neat (i'm assuming that means straight up, no ice, no water). I've been enjoying Knob Creek on the rocks or with water, and was wondering, what are some bourbons that taste great on the rocks.

p.s.- be patient....I'm a newbie.

T47
10-01-2007, 07:59
I know a lot of ya'll like your bourbon neat (i'm assuming that means straight up, no ice, no water)

Yep, that's what "neat" means. And I do enjoy my Bourbon that way almost all the time. On occassion when the mood hits I will throw a couple ice cubes in. I tend to enjoy the higher proof, higher rye bottles. I think it just changes the flavor a little. I think the only problem might be if you add to much ice to a lower proof Bourbon it might dilute it too much as it melts. So GT Stagg and OGD 114 are a couple that come to mind.

p.s.- be patient....I'm a newbie

I think most folks here will tell you that it's "your" Bourbon drink it the way you like it. Your moods and tastes will change, nothing wrong with that!

whiskeyhatch
10-02-2007, 21:48
Hello Larry. Three bourbons that I think are wonderful over ice (I use crushed ice) are: Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam Black and Maker's Mark. Most others I drink neat or with a splash of water.

ratcheer
10-03-2007, 19:10
Its your Bourbon, drink it the way you like it. :grin:

Seriously, I like mine straight, on the rocks, or with water. Or with ice and water. Or occasionally with ginger ale. Or in a Manhattan cocktail. Or a Sazerac cocktail. Or ....

Tim

whiskeyhatch
10-03-2007, 20:52
Originally Posted by ratcheer
Its your Bourbon, drink it the way you like it. :grin:

Seriously, I like mine straight, on the rocks, or with water. Or with ice and water. Or occasionally with ginger ale. Or in a Manhattan cocktail. Or a Sazerac cocktail. Or ....

Yes but are there any particular bourbons that you like on the rocks? I think that's what he's asking.

ratcheer
10-04-2007, 15:50
Yes but are there any particular bourbons that you like on the rocks? I think that's what he's asking.

Yes, I particularly like Rare Breed on the rocks. Elmer T. Lee and WT101 are very good o.t.r. Also, Old Forester and Old Grand Dad, though I've had neither in some time.

Tim

heatmiser
10-05-2007, 09:28
I'm with Tim on this one so drink it any way you like. What tastes best to you is the right way. I tend to drink my mid & top shelf straight and use my lower shelf bourbons for mixed drinks.

mozilla
10-05-2007, 09:42
On a super hot day....there is nothing better than Old Forester 100 on the rocks.

tsh3406
10-05-2007, 11:14
From anther new guy, I try everything I have both neat and on the rocks. Helps me distinguish the flavors better. Eveybodies palate is different. Mine's not as sharp so changing the temperature or alcohol helps me a lot.

Tim

OscarV
10-05-2007, 13:04
yeah, Old Grand Dad on the rocks is very good.

Ruby K
10-06-2007, 08:11
From anther new guy, I try everything I have both neat and on the rocks. Helps me distinguish the flavors better. Eveybodies palate is different. Mine's not as sharp so changing the temperature or alcohol helps me a lot.

Tim

yeah, i'm the same way too... since I'm learning about this stuff, I'm trying everything different ways, so feel free to figure out what you like.

HipFlask
10-10-2007, 21:48
well I would say have it your way. My whiskey journey started mixed with coke or sprite. Then to rocks. then fewer cubes. then just a little water. Now it's mostly neat. what got me thinking about losing the rocks was I realized how watered down the whiskey became as the ice melted in the glass. So what whiskey's go good on the rocks. Well PVW lot B, WT Rye, WT Russel 's Reserve, Buff trace, Elmer T. lee, Maker's mark, Knob creek, Baker's, ER 10 and EC 12. Another way to ask your question would be which whiskey's would you not drink on the rocks. answer > None! try them all and remember your favs and always give bottle a second chance.

Cheer's

Martian
10-11-2007, 13:50
I like my Bourbon over ice in summer. I would suggest any of 100 or 101 proof brands. WT 101, Old Grandad BIB, JW Dant BIB, Old Fitzgerald BIB. Don't forget to try some WT Rye.

mythrenegade
10-15-2007, 00:52
I drink everything with exactly three cubes of ice. Always. I find if I order it this way, i don't get a glass full of crushed ice with a hint of bourbon in it (happened in Vegas with a pour of Bookers once).

I particularly like Old Grand Dad 114, I think it opens up nicely and is a fantastic pour. I have also found Russel's Reserve to be very good.

For me it's not the water in the ice, it's the temperature. I don't like bourbon warm. I like it cold. I tried putting bottles in the freezer, which worked to at least make a bottle of Woodford Reserve drinkable (it was too weak and bland to drink on the rocks), but that's too much of a pain for me. So I stick with it on the rocks.

Joel

tsh3406
10-15-2007, 08:54
Exactly how I like it, I find a couple small ice cubes gradually change the temperature and the proof while I sip. I feel like I experience more that way. Hate crushed ice unless I can add it myself. Judging by my little wine fridge, around 50 degrees is were I like it.