PDA

View Full Version : trying to learn more than "casual bourbon drinker"

Ruby K
10-02-2007, 15:54
Hey all!

Just joined up a little while ago, I'm a New York City bourbon drinker, new to the boards, and want to learn more about bourbon... Was a pretty steady Knob Creek drinker for a while, also have liked Woodford Reserve and have been really enjoying the Michter's Bourbon as well.

I think I prefer a little more of a sweeter bourbon, but want to branch out, enjoy more of them, and learn more about them.

any suggestions on where to start?

cowdery
10-02-2007, 16:41
1) You've already done it. Just read the posts and you'll pick up a lot of good information.

2) Go buy a bottle of W. L. Weller 12-year-old.

3) Go over to Brooklyn, Red Hook specifically, and visit LeNell's.

Ruby K
10-02-2007, 17:36
1) You've already done it. Just read the posts and you'll pick up a lot of good information.

1) Cool. I have been, been lurking for a bit.
2) Thanks for the recommendation!
3) Already have been and am on her mailing list for her next bourbon class. :-)

Special Reserve
10-02-2007, 18:14
Ruby,

Chuck gives great advise. Essentially, anything that has Weller or Van Winkle on the label is a great pour.

I'm very partial to the Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B when I want to treat myself.

I wish W. L. Weller 12 year was available in MI (I can get it in Chicago). Eagle Rare Single Barrel is a favorite as well. I've come to the conclusion that I like bourbon at about 90 proof.

By the way, welcome to the board.

Will

ggilbertva
10-03-2007, 07:50
Ruby,

Welcome to SB. Take advantage of the search function here and you'll fine a treasure trove of information that will help in answering many of your questions. I was going to suggest you go to LeNell's but you beat me to it. She's got a great selection and can also give you alot of help. I'll throw a couple of my personal favorites in the mix here......

Old Rip Van 10 year 107
Weller Antique 7 year 107
Pappy Van Winkle 15 year
Rittenhouse BIB

scopenut
10-03-2007, 12:23
Another vote for Weller 12 yr. It's one of the few Weller products available in Fla, and at $21, it's becoming my everyday pour.

-Kevin

sku
10-03-2007, 12:51

You missed one:

4) Buy a copy of Straight Bourbon, Cowdery's excellent book which will answer all of your questions (and then some) about Bourbon. I just recently read it and it's really a teriffic book. Lots of stories about the big Bourbon families, info on bourbon and its production and some of the best tasting notes I've ever read.

TnSquire
10-03-2007, 13:11
You need to go visit LeNell.

Ruby K
10-04-2007, 11:13
Already been. Was kinda overwhelmed by the number of choices, actually. Am on her mailing list and hope to get in on the next bourbon tasting class she does.

NorCalBoozer
10-04-2007, 12:03
I would suggest Van Winkle Lot B.

Kendall
10-04-2007, 20:24
Welcome.
Van Winkle 12 year lot b is excellent
Weller 12 year can not be beat for the money
Buffalo trace is very good for the money
Good Luck

HighTower
10-05-2007, 06:59
I'm with Kendall. Weller 12 is awesome. I might go have some now to celebrate......Friday night!
Welcome to SB.com, Ruby!

Scott

HighTower
10-05-2007, 07:09
Just had some Weller 12......Hell yeah! That stuff is great....go get some! If you can order it from Binny's I would suggest the barrels Brett Pontoni selected. That's what I have here...and for the price, I can't think of anything I would rather drink!

Scott

Barrel_Proof
10-06-2007, 13:51
Wink, wink; Brett picks an awesome Weller 12. A few of us here do so, as well! :cool::slappin::lol::rolleyes::lol::slappin::cool:

Just had some Weller 12......Hell yeah! That stuff is great....go get some! If you can order it from Binny's I would suggest the barrels Brett Pontoni selected. That's what I have here...and for the price, I can't think of anything I would rather drink!

Scott

Ruby K
10-06-2007, 14:53
Armed with the Weller 12 suggestion (and reading that folks think the ETL is a sweet bourbon as well) I headed back to Lenell's, to find her missing both. She mentioned they're having problems getting those in, so I grabbed the Weller 10 instead. If LeNell doesn't have it in, am I sunk in NY? Should I just order online?

craigthom
10-06-2007, 18:05
I don't think this is completely off-topic:

Are the Weller Centennial 10yo and the 12yo significantly different? I saw them sitting on the shelf next to each other, and they are within a couple of bucks of the same price.

Then there were the Old Weller Antique 107, and the Weller Special Reserve, which both appear to be seven years old, so maybe the proof is the only difference between them.

It's all very confusing. These are all the same mash bill, right? As well as the barrel proof BTAC version.

gblick
10-06-2007, 19:17

Are the Weller Centennial 10yo and the 12yo significantly different? I saw them sitting on the shelf next to each other, and they are within a couple of bucks of the same price.

Then there were the Old Weller Antique 107, and the Weller Special Reserve, which both appear to be seven years old, so maybe the proof is the only difference between them.

It's all very confusing. These are all the same mash bill, right? As well as the barrel proof BTAC version.The 10yo Centennial is 100 proof, compared to 90 proof for the 12yo. Here in Houston, the 12/90 can be found for around $18 and the 10/100 is around $30. I've never tried the 10/100, but my guess is that it's better than the 12yo. I have tried the 7/107 (Antique), the 7/90 (Special Reserve), and the 12yo, and my favorite of those three is definitely the Antique 107 (yes, I prefer the Antique 107 over the 12yo). I seem to prefer the higher proofs, so I suspect that I'd like the 10/100 Centennial more than the 12yo/90. But since I already think so highly of the Antique 107 and prefer it over the 12yo (which both cost about the same in my area), I just can't justify paying $30 for the 10/100 Centennial when I can find the Antique 107 for under $20. But I should at least buy a bottle of the Centennial, to see what I've been missing. If you haven't tried the Antique 107 yet, I recommend you give it a try. I'd really like to get my hands on one of these Binny's 12yo that everyone speaks so highly of.

barturtle
10-06-2007, 19:33
The 10yo Centennial is 100 proof, compared to 90 proof for the 12yo. Here in Houston, the 12/90 can be found for around $18 and the 10/100 is around $30. I've never tried the 10/100, but my guess is that it's better than the 12yo. I have tried the 7/107 (Antique), the 7/90 (Special Reserve), and the 12yo, and my favorite of those three is definitely the Antique 107 (yes, I prefer the Antique 107 over the 12yo). I seem to prefer the higher proofs, so I suspect that I'd like the 10/100 Centennial more than the 12yo/90. But since I already think so highly of the Antique 107 and prefer it over the 12yo (which both cost about the same in my area), I just can't justify paying $30 for the 10/100 Centennial when I can find the Antique 107 for under $20. But I should at least buy a bottle of the Centennial, to see what I've been missing. If you haven't tried the Antique 107 yet, I recommend you give it a try. I'd really like to get my hands on one of these Binny's 12yo that everyone speaks so highly of.

The 10yo is quite nice, but due to the law of diminishing returns, it's not twice as good as the 7/107. But even at that I still prefer it over the younger Weller, and the 12yo for that matter...

smokinjoe
10-08-2007, 08:23

It's all very confusing. These are all the same mash bill, right? As well as the barrel proof BTAC version.

Both are very good whiskies. But, the high price of Centennial has always been the primary reason I've steered away from it over the years, particularly when the 12yr is so awesome, for half the price.

Price differences in different markets being what they are, I'm curious as to your observation of the Centennial and 12 yr being within a few bucks of each other. This is either good news, or bad news, depending on where on the scale these prices are. If both are close to the upper teens in price, then you have a terrific deal on the Centennial. If both are closer to the $30 level, the 12 yr is very high priced.

JOE

craigthom
10-08-2007, 14:47
It was, as it turns out, more than a couple of bucks. The 12 yo was $21, the Centennial $26 (less change). This was today at the Fern Valley Liquor Barn in Louisville. It is the most convenient (to me) Liquor Barn, but it is the smallest one. I assume the prices are similar at the others, but I haven't checked.

smokinjoe
10-08-2007, 16:35
It was, as it turns out, more than a couple of bucks. The 12 yo was $21, the Centennial $26 (less change). This was today at the Fern Valley Liquor Barn in Louisville. It is the most convenient (to me) Liquor Barn, but it is the smallest one. I assume the prices are similar at the others, but I haven't checked.

Interesting, still. I think that 12 yr price is high. Surprising, considering you are in Bourbonia Heaven. But, OTH that Centennial at $26 would still constitute a very good price to me. I'm am used to seeing that one at $30 and above in most markets I visit. Many times, $35-$37. That being said, I personally would go for the Centennial, and wait for lower priced 12 yr.

Cheers!

JOE

scopenut
10-09-2007, 10:36
Weller 12 yo is normally $23/bottle in SE Fla, sometimes on sale for $21. Can't get the Antique or the Centennial here at all.

-Kevin

cowdery
10-09-2007, 11:03
The Weller Centennial is a funny product and sort of sticks out like a sore thumb in the Weller line. Even though they have lowered the price from what it was when the Bourbon Heritage Collection of which it was a part was introduced, it is still out of line, Weller-wise. Yes, the proof is a little higher, but Weller 12 is far and away the better value.

TNbourbon
10-09-2007, 12:51
The Weller Centennial is a funny product and sort of sticks out like a sore thumb in the Weller line. Even though they have lowered the price from what it was when the Bourbon Heritage Collection of which it was a part was introduced, it is still out of line, Weller-wise. Yes, the proof is a little higher, but Weller 12 is far and away the better value.

I've recently come to understand that Buffalo Trace will no longer bottle the Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13yo along with "The Classic" 12yo/90. They will be using the would-be longer-aged whiskey for the OC 10yo, which virtually ran dry during the summer, and which they are rolling out nationally.
Anyway, makes me wonder if the Weller Centennial, also originally a Bourbon Heritage Collection bottling that uses up whiskey which could be otherwise utilized, will disappear, too.

cowdery
10-09-2007, 17:29
I find the commitment to expressions like Weller 12-year-old and Old Charter 10-year-old admirable because it indicates Buffalo Trace wants to build products and brands for the long haul rather than making a quick killing during this period of unusual scarcity. Rather than concentrating on higher margin products they may not be able to grow or even maintain, they are concentrating on products that provide good value and have the potential to grow. Good for us and, in the long term I think, good for them too.

Ruby K
10-09-2007, 21:30
So if LeNell don't got it, anyone have any NY area ideas on where the Weller 12 can be found?

HipFlask
10-10-2007, 21:58
Elmer T. Lee or Rock Hill Farms, and anything Van Winkle. Also Four Roses Single Barrel or Small Batch. You should be able to find that one in NYC as it is only sold there and Kentucky or Overseas.