PDA

View Full Version : Noob checking in!

anacostiakat
10-05-2007, 14:04
Hello everyone,

While certainly not new to bourbon I am new to this site. :lol:

I like to try new stuff and am sure I will gain a lot from this forum. My favorites currently are Elmer T. Lee, Bookers and Weller's Cask Strength to name a few. However, recently I have tasted some Black Maple Hill, Michter's Small Batch US1.

I reside in our nation's capital and work in downtown DC.

I also enjoy a good cigar with my beverage of choice!:cool:

Jim

ggilbertva
10-05-2007, 14:11
Jim,

Welcome to SB. I live in Northern VA so we're not too far from one another. On occassion some of us from the area get together for tastings so I'll keep you in mind when scheduling the next one.

Use the search funtion here on SB as it's very useful when trying to find answers to the many questions you will certainly have. Also, the folks here on SB are generous and willing to help.

Rughi
10-05-2007, 14:33
...Weller's Cask Strength...
Jim

!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Pray tell!

barturtle
10-05-2007, 14:46
!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Pray tell!

I took this to mean William Larue Weller...but if he means something else...Do Tell!

Rughi
10-05-2007, 14:55
I took this to mean William Larue Weller...but if he means something else...Do Tell!
Mmmmm, William LaRue Weller - it's been too long...

ACDetroit
10-05-2007, 21:17
Welcome to SB Jim. There is more than enough knowledge here to keep you informed. Not to mention the folks are really helpful.

I to enjoy a good smoke with a dram. Tonight was Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist (I know it's a scotch) with a Fuente Fuente Opus X ! Mmmmmm! It was a great pairing!

Cheer!

Tony

anacostiakat
10-06-2007, 04:12
Mmmmm, William LaRue Weller - it's been too long...

Thanks everyone.

Yep that is what I meant. Can only get it occasionally here in DC.

I had a few Elmer T. Lee's with a '98 Partagas Charlotte last night.:grin:

Lionhoo
10-06-2007, 09:39
Hey Jim,

I'm a newbie to sb.com as well. Just wanted to say hello. I work in DC as well (live in Arlington) and also enjoy a good cigar with my drinks. We may have passed each other at some point if you ever visit Shelly's downtown . . .

Cheers,
Marshall

anacostiakat
10-06-2007, 10:20
Hey Jim,

I'm a newbie to sb.com as well. Just wanted to say hello. I work in DC as well (live in Arlington) and also enjoy a good cigar with my drinks. We may have passed each other at some point if you ever visit Shelly's downtown . . .

Cheers,
Marshall

Very possible Marshall. I work down by the Navy Memorial. I get to Shelly's occasionally. I am usually at Drapers on Friday afternoons for a couple hours if I can get away. :grin:

Lionhoo
10-06-2007, 15:36
That's great! I love Draper's! :cool: You may have already been there, but if you haven't check out Bourbon. There are two of them, one in Adams Morgan and one on Wisconsin Ave. Absolutely great place . . . lots of good, yep you guessed it, bourbon!

Cheers!

ggilbertva
10-06-2007, 19:01
That's great! I love Draper's! :cool: You may have already been there, but if you haven't check out Bourbon. There are two of them, one in Adams Morgan and one on Wisconsin Ave. Absolutely great place . . . lots of good, yep you guessed it, bourbon!

Cheers!

Bourbon is a nice place although they charge quite a bit for the more premium bourbons. Tribute was $60 a glass. Also try Old Glory BBQ in Georgetown on M Street. They have a real good bourbon selection and paired with their BBQ...it's quite nice.

Scheiders in DC also has a good selection of Bourbons and Whiskey's. They also have a great selection of Wine. Their prices are so so. I picked up my last Handy from them at $60.

OscarV
10-07-2007, 04:32
Also try Old Glory BBQ in Georgetown on M Street.

I think I saw Old Glory BBQ on the Food Channel once.
If it is the same place I'd love to go there.
One of their specialties is Texas Sausage.
The owner tried several local butchers to make it for him but it was never quite right.
So he has it shipped in from Texas.

This is an add-on edit a few hours later,....
I was thinking about this so I looked it up.
I think I got them mixed up.
The place with the Texas Sausage is a place called Capital Q
on 707 H St.

Lionhoo
10-07-2007, 09:32
Yeah, old glory is really nice. And you're right, Bourbon does have a bit of a hit to the wallet on the premium stuff. Last time I was there I think they were charging $30 per pour of Eagle Rare 17yo.

I was at Schneider's on Friday after work . . . got a bottle of Handy as well. :lol:

Cheers,
Marshall

anacostiakat
10-07-2007, 15:32

Cheers!

Interesting. I know I won't make it up Wisconsin Ave but I might get past the other one. Thanks, Jim

anacostiakat
10-09-2007, 12:01
Bourbon is a nice place although they charge quite a bit for the more premium bourbons. Tribute was $60 a glass. Also try Old Glory BBQ in Georgetown on M Street. They have a real good bourbon selection and paired with their BBQ...it's quite nice.

Scheiders in DC also has a good selection of Bourbons and Whiskey's. They also have a great selection of Wine. Their prices are so so. I picked up my last Handy from them at $60.

Schneiders is my local beverage store! :slappin: I am usually there every Saturday morning. :lol: