PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer

cc123
10-15-2007, 07:47
Newcomer here to this board. I like to thank everyone in advance.
A little background here. Not a beer drinker here at all. I enjoyed for the longest time-Canadian Whiskey-Crown Royal, Canadian Club, VO etc.
Then one day my father-in-law gave me some Ezra Brooks on ice. WOW! I was hooked. I then sampled many different brands-Wild Turkey, Elijah Creig, Elmer T. Lee etc.
The best so far in my opinion is Russell's Reserves!
I like it with Diet Pepsi and Ice.
Any one willing to give a novice any advice on other Bourbon's like Russells Reserves?

mozilla
10-15-2007, 08:25
Welcome, my advice on RR is to drink all you can. They will make more.
Hope you enjoy the site as much as the rest of us.

ggilbertva
10-15-2007, 12:25
Welcome to SB. Please take your time reading through the varying posts. You will find there is a great variety of bourbon's out there. While I have my favorites, that in no way limits my willingness to try new and different. Just recently I tried the current Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof. Just fantastic. Read through the forums which will give you an idea of what's out there. Also, member profiles list favorite pours so check those out also.

Have fun.

ACDetroit
10-15-2007, 20:13
A little background here. Not a beer drinker here at all. I enjoyed for the longest time-Canadian Whiskey-Crown Royal, Canadian Club, VO etc.
Then one day my father-in-law gave me some Ezra Brooks on ice. WOW! I was hooked. I then sampled many different brands-Wild Turkey, Elijah Creig, Elmer T. Lee etc.
The best so far in my opinion is Russell's Reserves!
I like it with Diet Pepsi and Ice.
Any one willing to give a novice any advice on other Bourbon's like Russells Reserves?
First off welcome you pick a great site to learn.

As for advise "Drop the Diet Pepsi"

Have you been drinking the RR 101 or the newer release at 90?
Great stuff as well at the ETL you've had.

Cheers! and welcome aboard. Enjoy you stay!

T47
10-15-2007, 20:26
I like all the Wild Turkeys...Rare Breed being the favorite of the bunch for me. You should work through them all. Make sure you save enough of each bottle so you can taste them side by side, unless you have a much better flavor memory than I!

You should add your location to your profile as well. Depending on where you live some bottles will be available and some won't, so it may change people’s recommendations to you, especially from the members who live in your area.

:toast:

cc123
10-16-2007, 07:28
First off welcome you pick a great site to learn.

As for advise "Drop the Diet Pepsi"

Have you been drinking the RR 101 or the newer release at 90?
Great stuff as well at the ETL you've had.

Cheers! and welcome aboard. Enjoy you stay!

I have been drinking THE RR 90.
I should be purchasing my next bottle for the weekend. Any suggestions? Like I said I really like RR() anything in that variety?

mozilla
10-16-2007, 07:37
Turkey Rye 101!

ACDetroit
10-16-2007, 10:10
Eagle Rare SB 10 yr. is good at the price point. I would also Highly recommend anything with the Van Winkle name, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

cc123
10-16-2007, 16:57
Ok, question here, what is "RYE"?

T47
10-16-2007, 18:54
"Rye" is a grain, like wheat. Ever had rye bread? Rye has a strong flavor and is one of the grains that can be added to Whiskey to affect the flavor. Rye Whiskey must be at least 51% Rye.
Many Bourbons use rye in thier mash, 2 you have tried have higher rye content, WT and ETL for example. I really enjoy OGD 114 which has lots of rye. Wild Turkey Rye is very good, there are several other bottles that you should be able to find, Old Overholt, Jim Beam Rye or my favorite Rye, Rittenhouse.
I am sure there are more informed descriptions coming your way!

mozilla
10-16-2007, 20:03
Todd got it right. Rye is in most bourbons on the market. Don't be afraid to try a straight rye...they are great! Rye is the more expensive grain in bourbon, as compared to corn. So, more bang for your buck in a KSRW. They don't all taste alike, so find at least one that you enjoy and keep it handy.

HipFlask
10-16-2007, 22:15
Look for WT rye. It has Green label. Also WT is releasing a new Rye Whiskey under the RR brand also at 90 proof so be sure to look for it. Also in the straight Rye group look for Rittenhouse BIB at 100 proof. As for bourbon's how about Knob Creek or Buffalo Trace.

cc123
10-17-2007, 19:37
Ok I am from PA. Went to the State Store after work today.
Picked up Knob Creek, as per suggestion from Hip Flask, did not open yet.
As per advice from the clerk, bought a bottle of 1792-WOW:grin: !!!
Very smooth!
Even my wife liked it on the rocks!

mozilla
10-17-2007, 19:39
1792 is good stuff. It is usually alot older than the 8 year age statement.

BourbonJoe
10-19-2007, 08:25
It is usually alot older than the 8 year age statement.

Where did you hear that??
Joe :usflag:

mozilla
10-19-2007, 08:42
Ken Pierce, Chief Chemist, Barton Distilling Bardstown Ky. If you check out my distillery trip to Barton....I was lucky enough to try some from a ten year old barrel. It was outstanding!

cc123
10-19-2007, 13:23
Anybody know of any Bourbons in the same vein as 1792??? I really liked this bottle!

mozilla
10-19-2007, 13:32
If by vein you mean extra barrel flavors and higher rye content then I would recommend Turkey rye or any Turkey product. Also, bourbons with some extra age on them seem to have that style. HH has a few older bourbons, BT carries Old Charter and Eagle Rare. These are very affordable and usually easy to find. Beam carries the Small Batch group, though they can run a few more dollars per bottle.
Truthfully, if you really liked the 1792, then sticking with that is your best bet. Barton also has some other brands that I find to be unique in flavor profiles....Tom Moore Bib and Very Old Barton 6 yr Bib.

ILLfarmboy
10-19-2007, 22:50
A little background here. Not a beer drinker here at all. I enjoyed for the longest time-Canadian Whiskey-Crown Royal, Canadian Club, VO etc...

If you like Crown Royal and other Canadian whiskeys which are or have historically been rye influenced by all means give a few American straight ryes a try. Sazerac Rye is one that I don't think has been mentioned. By the way, I'm a non-beer drinker too. Sometimes the wife kids me about that. She's the beer drinkin' sports nut.:grin: