PDA

View Full Version : scotch n oysters

polyamnesia
10-24-2007, 18:32
interesting article:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007710240315

but i admit, i have never tried Scotch...nonetheless, it reminds me, as the cook of the household, that there are many combinations and minglings (many quite simple) that can be interesting.

though i don't drink JD or JBeam, i would gladly use them to spice up an entree, dessert, etc!

though bourbon suggests pairings with land lubber fare, i can see seafood in the mix easily.

ILLfarmboy
10-24-2007, 22:25
Never having tried oysters other than in a stew I can't comment on this particular pairing. But I absolutely agree that a moderately peaty Scotch goes very well with certain seafood dishes. Shrimp scampi and JW Black is a favorite of mine. It makes for a nice pre-diner drink and appetizer combo.

polyamnesia
10-26-2007, 15:39
well, i've had plenty raw! and, in new orleans, seems it always goes great with beer (esp. Dixie beer!) and a few good shakes of Tabasco!

fried oysters, too, cry out for beer.

i need to explore more bourbons that pair with food, esp. those that already stand up on their own, neat!

i can imagine beef and pork are certainly natural base meats for bourbon.

mier
10-27-2007, 07:58
Try this;oysters with Lagavulin.Open a oyster let the juices leak away,brush the oysters with Lagavulin,serve immediate on ice.
Eric.

drrich1965
11-03-2007, 11:36
A couple of years ago my wife made steamed muscles in Ardbeg 10, which was just spendid. Lagavulin 16 may be a big steep in price to use for cooking- Caol Ila 12 is often half the price. Compass Box peat monster is a very good vatted malt, a good peaty/sweet balance, and can be had for $35 as well..

mier
11-09-2007, 07:05
Guess every Islay whisky can do the trick,you`ve an excuse to experiment anyway:lol: .
Eric.