PDA

View Full Version : Russell Reserve or Rare Breed?

NickAtMartinis
11-02-2007, 07:35
This is for all you Wild Turkey lovers. And, yes, I am a convert!:grin:

I came across two Wild Turkeys that I know are well received here, Russell's Reserve and Rare Breed. Which would you a prefer to drink?

I'm leaning toward the Rare Breed since it's Barrel Proof! Is it really, though? Or, is it like the Old Granddad 114 where the old bottles said barrel proof but how could all the barrels come out at 114?! Well, I guess if you mingled enough together you could do it but...

Anyway, if you'd like to tell me which you prefer, I'd greatly appreciate it. Once I find the general consensus here, I'll make a run to the liquor store to grab the declared winner.

Thanks,

Mark

DrinkyBanjo
11-02-2007, 08:22
I prefer Rare Breed but enjoy both quite a bit. Yes, Rare Breed is barrel proof but the proof is lower due to WT's lower entry proof.

I came across two Wild Turkeys that I know are well received here, Russell's Reserve and Rare Breed. Which would you a prefer to drink?

I'm leaning toward the Rare Breed since it's Barrel Proof! Is it really, though? Or, is it like the Old Granddad 114 where the old bottles said barrel proof but how could all the barrels come out at 114?! Well, I guess if you mingled enough together you could do it but...

Anyway, if you'd like to tell me which you prefer, I'd greatly appreciate it. Once I find the general consensus here, I'll make a run to the liquor store to grab the declared winner.

Thanks,

Mark

NickAtMartinis
11-02-2007, 08:27
I prefer Rare Breed but enjoy both quite a bit. Yes, Rare Breed is barrel proof but the proof is lower due to WT's lower entry proof.

Thanks for the info Tim. I'm leading toward Rare Breed because of the whole Barrell Proof statement. However, I noticed something on Wild Turkey's website. It has Russell's Reserve listed as 101 proof which certainly makes sense since WT's penchent for that proof but the RR I saw had only a 90 proof, I believe.

Has my already poor memory failed me once again or are there two versions of the RR?

Rughi
11-02-2007, 08:38
Has my already poor memory failed me once again or are there two versions of the RR?

There are indeed two versions, and this was a major topic of discussion not too long ago. Check the archives and you'll see just how betrayed many sb.commies felt by this watering down.

Roger "Read All About It" Hodges

By the way, there were some who preferred the new higher-priced, pre-diluted-for-your-convenience version.

DrinkyBanjo
11-02-2007, 09:17
To make it easier on you the current bottling is 90 proof and the previous one was 101. They are easily distinguished as the bottles are clearly different. Most prefer the 101 but the 90 is some fine whiskey too.

There are indeed two versions, and this was a major topic of discussion not too long ago. Check the archives and you'll see just how betrayed many sb.commies felt by this watering down.

Roger "Read All About It" Hodges

By the way, there were some who preferred the new higher-priced, pre-diluted-for-your-convenience version.

Phischy
11-02-2007, 09:31
I found some RR 101 and have had the Rare Breed. I'm not a Turkey fan and most often I refer to most products as: "Buzzard Juice". I just find everything very 'hot'. Although it has been awhile since I had any Kentucky Spirit and I am looking for RRR and American Spirit but have yet to spot any in any So Cal location. The only WT I have is RR101 tucked away somewhere since I didn't care for it.

Virus_Of_Life
11-02-2007, 10:10
I've found if I use the search function I can usually find an abundance amount of material regarding most the items I am interested in and often don't have to start a new thread for every topic...

NickAtMartinis
11-02-2007, 10:52
I've found if I use the search function I can usually find an abundance amount of material regarding most the items I am interested in and often don't have to start a new thread for every topic...

:lol:

Actually, more often than not, I use the search function. However, I wanted to get a consensus of the current membership on their preference between the two bourbons. For this, I would not use the search function.

Now, if I wanted to find out something like, which distillery Blanton's derives from, then I'd use the search function.

Thanks for the advice. As a result, I'll do a search to see if a similar thread to this has already been written.

Just one quick note. If you're not interested in this or any thread that I start, I won't be offended if you don't respond. ;)

Regards,

Mark

Phischy
11-02-2007, 11:38
Whoops, I forgot to say I prefer Rare Breed.

On another note, why aren't the 'super' threads stickied? I know there's a wealth of info on this site, but there should be a WT thread stickied with factual info about their different lines etc...

Even more so for the older distilieries that have a longer history and more products.

barturtle
11-02-2007, 12:26
On another note, why aren't the 'super' threads stickied? I know there's a wealth of info on this site, but there should be a WT thread stickied with factual info about their different lines etc...

Even more so for the older distilieries that have a longer history and more products.

If we stickied all of the super threads, you would have to click through several pages to get to the newest posts, besides by taking the time to read through other posts trying to find the info you want you learn more.:cool:

melting
11-02-2007, 14:48
I'd recommend the Rare Breed also. I always keep a bottle on hand and WT products are my favorite by far. Having said that, I've never really had a bottle of Russell's Reserve that I really cared for. I've been through two bottles of the 90 proof and just found it to be ok, with a kind of weird aftertaste.

Chris

nor02lei
11-02-2007, 15:33

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

For me it is an easy choice. RR 101 is a much better whiskey to my personal preferences. I do also think this is a question about what stile you prefer. As I see it the 2 are in the opposite corner of eat other with RR 101 being the punchiest bourbon from the distillery in resent time and RB being far on the mild side despite barrel proof. I do also prefer RR 90 far before RB as well.

Leif

NorCalBoozer
11-02-2007, 16:07
Mark, I would say Rare Breed. When you take into account that Rare Breed can be had for under $35, it makes it an easier decision.

Of course in due time you'll probably end up buying whichever one you pass on just to satisfy your curiosity. The good news is....all WT products are good!

Greg

ratcheer
11-02-2007, 16:33
I prefer Rare Breed. It is one of my favorite bourbons at any price. It is always rich and full-flavored. It stands up better to serving on the rocks than almost anything else I can think of.

Just my two-cents worth, YMMV, etc, etc.

Tim

TNbourbon
11-02-2007, 16:48
For whatever it's worth, these are the two Wild Turkey bourbons I don't particularly care for in any iteration.

ILLfarmboy
11-02-2007, 17:09
Taste wise Rare breed! But if the bottles of RR sitting on the shelf waiting to be purchased are the old 101 proof version I would get them while they last. If you like Wild Turkey you won't be disapointed with either.

ACDetroit
11-02-2007, 17:52
I have to put my vote in for the RR 101. I have not had the 90 proof yet but have picked up the last five 101'a I've come across. Better make that 4 I gave one to a buddy of mine...he brought me my BTAC from KY:grin: . You know now that I think about it he was going to sign up? HEY HOGBEN I know your lurking so get you but to the new to SB.com brother. OH yeah and next time you up make it a Friday:slappin: .

Tony

NickAtMartinis
11-02-2007, 18:22
I have to put my vote in for the RR 101. I have not had the 90 proof yet but have picked up the last five 101'a I've come across. Better make that 4 I gave one to a buddy of mine...he brought me my BTAC from KY:grin: . You know now that I think about it he was going to sign up? HEY HOGBEN I know your lurking so get you but to the new to SB.com brother. OH yeah and next time you up make it a Friday:slappin: .

Tony

I'd get the RR but it's only the 90 proof. I'm running out now to get RB. Liquor stores in CT close at 9PM if you can believe that.

NickAtMartinis
11-02-2007, 18:23
Thanks everyone for all your help and participation. It was certainly very much appreciated. I'm heading out now to grab me some RB.

I'll let you all know what I think.

Thanks,

Mark

polyamnesia
11-02-2007, 19:34
how's it going with the RBreed?

as i've said here in my few posts, i WAS very impressed with the RR 90...and though i prefer the bite of regular WT 101, the RR 90 was a really nice, spikey-mellow (and complex enough) example of pure alchemy.

i admit, i haven't found a bottle of the RR 101....and really really want to...but i totally recommend the 90. wonderful stuff.

cheers
andy

p.s.
your report on the RB might cause me to go ahead and lake a run for it myself...on sale now in PA lcb stores for $29.99......:grin:

NickAtMartinis
11-02-2007, 19:56
how's it going with the RBreed?

as i've said here in my few posts, i WAS very impressed with the RR 90...and though i prefer the bite of regular WT 101, the RR 90 was a really nice, spikey-mellow (and complex enough) example of pure alchemy.

i admit, i haven't found a bottle of the RR 101....and really really want to...but i totally recommend the 90. wonderful stuff.

cheers
andy

p.s.
your report on the RB might cause me to go ahead and lake a run for it myself...on sale now in PA lcb stores for $29.99......:grin:

Andy, that sounds like a good price. I think the RB up here was around $35 but not sure. The RR I believe was in the $40's.

Also, as an update to my run to the liquor store, please check out What bourbon did you purchase today? Oh, what I find!:grin:

ACDetroit
11-02-2007, 20:19
Hey Andy check out the what bourbon did you purchase tonight post and look what Mark got tonight. The RBreed took a back seat.

Looks like Mark is going "Stagg" tonight! :lol:

Tony

ILLfarmboy
11-02-2007, 20:24
... The RR I believe was in the $40's.

Ouch, The old RR 101 was always around $24.99-$26.99 in these parts. Forty five dollars and some change will get you a fifth of KS.

ACDetroit
11-02-2007, 20:34
I'm with Farmboy at that price buy some WTKS! I love some KS that's some good whiskey!

Tony

NickAtMartinis
11-02-2007, 21:04
Ouch, The old RR 101 was always around $24.99-$26.99 in these parts. Forty five dollars and some change will get you a fifth of KS.

Brad, based on what you've written above, I probably screwed up the pricing there. It was probably $40-something for the RB and then $30-something for the RR.

My memory has once again failed.:grin: Not shocking.:bigeyes: :lol:

polyamnesia
11-02-2007, 21:21
well, mark, try RR90 when you can.

but i am sure that Stagg find was meant to be...!

how much does it go for? i don't PA or DE sell it...

oh and yeah, the price was turned around.

RR90 is about $25 or so here...RBreed is a bit higher...but like i said, on sale for the month for $29.99

ratcheer
11-03-2007, 07:19
So, did you get it? How do you like it?

Tim

Everman75
11-03-2007, 14:39
I know the final vote has already been tallied, but my vote is for RB. RR is good, but RB wins it. Although the only RR I've had is the 90. If anyone out there know a way I can get my hands on a bottle or two of the 101, let me know...I might change my vote:grin:

NickAtMartinis
11-03-2007, 16:48
So, did you get it? How do you like it?

Tim

Tim, I was about to get the RB when out of the blue the '07 BTAC fell in my lap! The RB will have to wait but I certainly will buy it at some point in the future.

wildcatdon
11-12-2007, 09:21
I prefer the Russell's..that has a very good flavor..Agree with one of the guys above about Rare Breed having a "hot flavor"..Not a juge Wild Turkey fan....Get the Russells...

Xibalba
11-12-2007, 11:54
Rare Breed, no question. I found Russell's Reserve to be rather bland, while Rare Breed is one of the most unique bourbons I've ever tasted.

NickAtMartinis
12-02-2007, 20:37
thanks for everybody that participated. You helped me make my pick. I chose WTRB and was not dissapointed. In my mind, it's a great bourbon. Not sure on the age, but I'd say 8-10 years.

TNbourbon
12-02-2007, 20:57
...Not sure on the age, but I'd say 8-10 years.

It's a vatting of 6-, 8-, and 12-yo whiskeys.

bigtoys
12-02-2007, 21:12
I have unopened RB & RR down in the bunker. I had them out a couple of weeks ago, but they stayed shut; we opened the WTAS and '07 GTS. Seeing this thread again reminds of the 2 fresh bottles. Gonna try to get some people over this Fri for a Turkey Tasting. Should I have KS, too?? I thought I did, but I can't find it.

JRomain
12-03-2007, 00:33
RR 90 is all wood and alcohol, thanks to the unnecessary dilution. :-(

NickAtMartinis
12-03-2007, 16:00
It's a vatting of 6-, 8-, and 12-yo whiskeys.

Thanks, Tim. I was just thinking about searching on it but, thanks to you, now I don't have to.

squire
12-03-2007, 22:26
I don't find that much difference between them, the house style comes through.
While I don't really favor Wild Turkey I keep a bottle of Rare Breed around for guests who like the brand.
Regards,
Squire

Bailey
12-24-2007, 22:27
You guys inspired me to do a little turkey tasting. WTKS just arrived today. My Christmas present to myself. No question there are some similarities between the RR90, WTRB and WTKS, however, IMO the WTKS is hands down the best. The nose on the KS is softer and I get more caramel and vanilla tones than I do with the RB (which seems fruitier and spicier). The thing that really sealed the deal for me was the finish of the KS. You get the rye at mid-palate but then it really recedes nicely back into caramel and vanilla with just a little touch of oak. This is in contrast to the RR90 which has a very oaky finish in my view - and not the good kind of oak - more like diseased oak. The finish on the RB gives me a lot more burn (which is not a bad thing) but I guess I am partial to the smoother finish of KS. Thanks for the inspiration.

Roger

Old Lamplighter
12-25-2007, 01:18
Rare Breed, no question. I found Russell's Reserve to be rather bland, while Rare Breed is one of the most unique bourbons I've ever tasted.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.......RB is in a class by itself.

Sijan
12-25-2007, 08:20
I agree with the WTKS votes. It is the best regularly available WT bottling.

I am not sure between RR101 and RB, as I like both quite a bit, but I would definitely pick RB over RR90.

Old Lamplighter
12-25-2007, 16:21
I agree with the WTKS votes. It is the best regularly available WT bottling.

I am not sure between RR101 and RB, as I like both quite a bit, but I would definitely pick RB over RR90.

To me, RR101 tastes like a more 'tame' version of RB. If you want a more mellow, slow ride then go with RR101. If you want a bit quicker pace and spark to the tastebuds, go with RB. IMHO, RR101 and KS are closer to the old reliable WT8 than anything else currently on the market from WT. Just the same, both are fantastic pours with KS a slight cut above them.

bluesbassdad
12-25-2007, 20:05
Roger,

Your comparison reminds me of one I did about five years ago (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12576&highlight=super+bowl#post12576).

It's amazing to me that even above the 99th percentile there's still room for a clear superiority, at least to one person's palate, of one bottling over another.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Sijan
12-25-2007, 20:10
I agree with Dave about WT12's clear superiority over WTKS, although my own comparison where it blew away the competition was against RR101, at the time one of my favorite bottlings. I was really surprised by how thin and flat my formerly beloved RR101 tasted after I'd had WT12. WT12 is one of my very favorite bourbons. Sadly, it is no longer available in the states, unless you get lucky and find a dusty bottle.

Old Lamplighter
12-25-2007, 21:47
Sadly, it is no longer available in the states, unless you get lucky and find a dusty bottle.

I have often wondered if WT will ever again offer a 12yo to the U.S. market. Seems like it would do very well in today's marketplace of high demand for older bourbon. With the WT brand recognition and the high regard for the gold foil and split labels, it seems like a 'no-brainer' to me. However, perhaps the majority of 12yo barrels are already committed to the RB recipe and there are simply none to be had for individual offering. Is their still a 12yo offered to the international market from WT?

Bailey
12-25-2007, 23:51
While my analysis was not so amusing as Dave's it sounds like the bottom line is that there is no shame in coming in second to WT12. I haven't had the pleasure of its company.

Roger

ACDetroit
12-26-2007, 08:21
To my understanding Jake the 12 yr. has been gone for a little while now. They are dusties even in Japan now. I spoke to a customer who has family in Japan and the last bottle of WT 12yr. he got from home was $500.00 USD :bigeyes: ! I know the 8 yr. old :cool: can still be picked up going to Canada from the U.S.

Tony

luv2hunt
12-29-2007, 15:50
To my understanding Jake the 12 yr. has been gone for a little while now. They are dusties even in Japan now. I spoke to a customer who has family in Japan and the last bottle of WT 12yr. he got from home was $500.00 USD :bigeyes: ! I know the 8 yr. old :cool: can still be picked up going to Canada from the U.S.

Tony

Wow! I'll sell one for $500!!!! Hot Damn!!!:shocked::shocked:

craigthom
12-29-2007, 22:15

Tony

That explains it. My brother noticed that I've got a bottle of WT 8yo on the shelf. I hadn't noticed it myself, I'm ashamed to admit. I know I picked it up within the last five or six years, but I couldn't remember where. It must have been at a duty free shop, probably at the Ambassador Bridge. Or maybe at Port Huron. Or the Soo.

Old Lamplighter
12-29-2007, 22:43
Yep, the 'transition' was a slick bit of subtle marketing. A lot of us did not notice it for a while. In terms of WT, the next best thing to finding a WT12 is finding an 8.

full_proof
12-30-2007, 18:39
In order, WTRB, WTRR101, WTRR90. I've been purposely buying and bunkering the WTRR101 without any fear (or hope) of consuming my growing supply of it during my lifetime. :lol:

Old Lamplighter
01-01-2008, 01:53
.......without any fear (or hope) of consuming my growing supply of it during my lifetime. :lol:

The highest form of bourbon philosophy and one to which I also have a life subscription.

Attila
06-26-2008, 21:36
Is their still a 12yo offered to the international market from WT?

Yes, I just bought a bottle of WT12 today in Tokyo.

Never had it before and am looking forward to it.

Isoflex
06-26-2008, 22:06
Of the Wild Turkey's offerings (WT 101, RB, KS, RR 101, WT80) the two that stand out in my mind as having the most character are RB and RR 101. I don't know why but they just stick in my mind more than the others. RR 101 is a favorite of mine and have 3 bottles in the bunker... waiting for a great reason to open one. I haven't a good palate but every-once-in-awhile the cinnamon note from it is just fantastic!

spun_cookie
06-27-2008, 12:37
Of the Wild Turkey's offerings (WT 101, RB, KS, RR 101, WT80) the two that stand out in my mind as having the most character are RB and RR 101. I don't know why but they just stick in my mind more than the others. RR 101 is a favorite of mine and have 3 bottles in the bunker... waiting for a great reason to open one. I haven't a good palate but every-once-in-awhile the cinnamon note from it is just fantastic!

I too have this feeling. There are some exeptions, I have had teh non-chill filtered KS recently and the older KS (2000 and older) have been memrable.

I am also lookin gfor teh WT Legand that is suppose to be the best of the WTs.... Care to comment anyone?

cigarnv
06-28-2008, 07:02
I have always found it difficult select a "be all" bourbon given that my mood and palate calls for different things at different times. As for WT I like all their offerings. For those warm summer nights the RRR has really been a great pour, with a nice cigar the spiciness of the RB works very well. The 101 works very well for me in a Manhattan while the RR101 seems to go well with a good BBQ...

The best of the WT..... not sure I can pick one