PDA

View Full Version : Your Top Five

HipFlask
11-03-2007, 11:46
What is your current Top Five Whiskey? Today's top five for me are as follows. But I have many to try yet and it could change with tonight's new pour of OGD 114.:grin:

1.Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 yr
2. Van Winkle 15 yr
3.Four Roses Single Barrel
4.Rittenhouse BIB
5.Elmer T. Lee

This might be a silly exercise but is sure is fun if you line them up and taste them side by side.:cool:

melting
11-03-2007, 12:47
Here's mine in no realy particular order. You didn't specify bourbon so this is including all whiskey regardless of type or country of origin.

1. Glenmorangie port wood finish
2. Wild Turkey 101
3. Eagle Rare SB 10
4. Wild Turkey Rare Breed
5. Ardbeg 10

I realise that many will regard these as basic, middle of the road whiskey's but they are what I enjoy most. The Ardbeg is certainly not an everyday pour. I'm also so fond of the Glenmorangie that I don't have it often as I'd like so as to keep the taste profile fresh.

Chris

ggilbertva
11-03-2007, 19:28
My top 5 not in any order:

1. Old Fitzgerald BIB (S-W)
2. Weller Antique Single Barrel 9 year
3. PVW 15
4. WLW '06
5. ORVW 10 year

Of course my list changes as my tastes change.

drrich1965
11-03-2007, 20:52
Since others have already liberalized the post....

95 Ardbeg Provenance 1974 (55.8%, OB)
95 Port Ellen 16yo Dist. 1980, Cask 89/5891/20 (59.3%, Signatory)
94 Laphroaig 30yo (43%, OB, circa 2000)
93 Glenfarclas 21yo Square Bottle (55.5%, OB)
93 Brora 21yo 1981 (46%, Signatory, The Un-Chillfiltered Collection, Cask 1586, Bottle 594)

gblick
11-04-2007, 00:06
Mine's very close to Greg's, though I've never had the WLW '06 or the Antique Single Barrel 9yo.

In no order:

PVW 15
ORVW 10/107
Old Fitzgerald BIB (S-W)
Weller Antique 107 (S-W)
WT 12yo

BourbonJoe
11-04-2007, 03:44
It's hard to squeeze these into five, but here goes:
No particular Order:
William Larue Weller - 06
Thomas Handy Rye - 06
George T. Stagg - any
Wild Turkey 12 y/o Gold Foil
Any Stitzel-Weller Whiskey
Joe :usflag:

whiskeyhatch
11-04-2007, 13:24
The first two are pretty much locked in as favorites but all are subject to change as exprience grows.

1.) Old Fitzgerald BIB (S-W)
2.) Laphroaig 10 yo
3.) Buffalo Trace
4.) Old Rip Van Winkle 107/10 yo (haven't tried the 15 yo)
5.) Weller Centennial

This was a tough assignment. If we were to boot out that wayward SMS then Wild Turkey Rare Breed would be up there. The PVWs and GTSs I drink too infrequently, so I kept them out of the lineup. I don't drink the OFBIB too frequently either but that one nearly brought me to tears. That stuff is simply amazing.

P.S. I knew this would happen. EC 12 yo, a favorite of mine, just got dethroned by Weller Centennial. This is the current version... haven't tried the BHC yet. But, if I were on a deserted island, I'd opt for the Centennial. Very similar to that crown jewel... OFBIB (S-W).

TNbourbon
11-04-2007, 14:14
I can put two definitely somewhere in the top 5: Dalmore 62yo (run a search -- I posted about it) and the Pappy 23 from Lawrenceburg that definitely rye-recipe.
Beyond that, some candidates include the aforementioned Wild Turkey 12yo gold-foil labeled; a 1949/1953 Old Grand-Dad BIB mini I enjoyed on my 50th birthday in North Myrtle Beach (yeah, Doug -- I think better than my official '57/'61 'birthday' bottle!); W.L. Weller 8yo BIB 1940/1948 (opened at Sampler '06); Very Old Fitzgerald BIB 1956/1964 (ETL BOTY distribution at Cliff's); pre-issue, 1994 Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit; Willett Rye #1 bottling; non-commercial, barrel-proof "Pappy 21" (again, search).
I'm proud to realize, as I note these bottlings that I have been privileged to own, that (with the single exception of the Scotch malt and the mini) their enjoyment has been immeasurably enhanced in each case by sharing them with StraightBourbon.com members.
So, Jim and Dave Butler, while you may have missed some of these tastings, please enjoy the fact that you both made them possible, and magnified their savor by your efforts to create and support this bastion of collegiality.:toast:

T47
11-04-2007, 15:13
1) GT Stagg
2) PVW 15
3) Aberlour A'bunadh
4) VW Lot B
5) Bookers

Always changing and flexible, but I think my Top 3 at least are pretty consistent.

TNbourbon
11-04-2007, 15:37
1) GT Stagg
2) PVW 15
3) Aberlour A'bunadh
4) VW Lot B
5) Bookers

Always changing and flexible, but I think my Top 3 at least are pretty consistent.

I like all those, too, Todd -- well, at least the first four. I'm kind of a shrug when it comes to Booker's -- I don't dislike it, but it seems pretty ordinary other than the proof. But that's just me.
Anyway, wish you were here -- we'd share some other tastes, too. As it is, I think my bottles are stuck in my bunker, lest they be 'taxed' by Tennessee ABC agents.:lol:

Nebraska
11-04-2007, 15:42
1. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2006
2. Sazerac Jr
3. BTAC Handy rye 2006
4. Rittenhouse BIB
5. Weller 12 yo

These are all work horses. Best bang for the buck. Top five for me cause they are affordable, very available and currently in my stash.

The SW 27 yo in there is very tasty, but there is only about an ounce left.

TBoner
11-04-2007, 15:55
1. ND OGD BIB
2. ND OGD 114
3. WT 12 Gold Foil
4. WT 12 Split
5. WT Rye

This list doesn't include any SMS, which would skew things differently, but the first three would remain the same regardless.

barturtle
11-04-2007, 18:51
Fives just not enough, heck I can damn near cover that with WT products (Tribute, 14yo, 12yo Split). Add in several bottling from BTAC (Saz 18 2001, GTS 2002, ER 17 2000, Weller 19 2001) Some private bottlings (Van Blankle, Willett #1, Tim's 21yo Van Winkle) then there are a few others not to be left out (Eagle Rare 10/101 Lburg, Old Charter BIB, Blantons Barrel Proof).

The we get moving into imports, Redbreast 15yo, Highland Park 25, Springbank 21yo...where do we start paring down the list?

smokinjoe
11-04-2007, 19:02
Fives just not enough, heck I can damn near cover that with WT products (Tribute, 14yo, 12yo Split). Add in several bottling from BTAC (Saz 18 2001, GTS 2002, ER 17 2000, Weller 19 2001) Some private bottlings (Van Blankle, Willett #1, Tim's 21yo Van Winkle) then there are a few others not to be left out (Eagle Rare 10/101 Lburg, Old Charter BIB, Blantons Barrel Proof).

The we get moving into imports, Redbreast 15yo, Highland Park 25, Springbank 21yo...where do we start paring down the list?

It's sad that of the Americans you list, though impressive, none can be easily purchased in a store...

JOE

barturtle
11-04-2007, 19:12
It's sad that of the Americans you list, though impressive, none can be easily purchased in a store...

JOE

Well, I did better than Tim, of the ones of mine that were ever in retail, most of them were in the last decade or so:slappin:

gothbat
11-04-2007, 20:38
This time I'm going to go with:

- GTS ('05 in particular but really any year)
- WLW ('06 in particular)
- PVW23 (sb.com single barrel, barrel 2)
- PVW20
- Weller Antique 107

I wanted to add WT101 so there was another bottle that costs under $50 on there but what could I possibly knock off that list? If you said list 6 then that would be my 6th one, WT101.

bigtoys
11-04-2007, 21:54
PVW 20
Jefferson Reserve
Lagavulin 16
Four Roses SB
GT Stagg

macon
11-05-2007, 06:21
GTS
ETL
EC18
BT
JD-SB - not Bourbon but good

tsh3406
11-05-2007, 14:19
Here's mine:

1. WT 101, because I can find it at almost every restraunt or bar
2. OGD 100 BIB, great everyday pour, great price
3. VWFR 12, pairs really well with food and openly embraced by those who do not call themselves bourbon drinkers.
4. EWSB '95, the one that really got me into bourbon a few years back. Getting harder to find though.
5. ER 101, either bottling, that's just good bourbon, that's all I got to say 'bout that.

I had to justify these more to myself as a way to narrow it down. I've tried so many that I like, thanks to everyone at the '07 sampler. I've aquired 5 or 6 new bottles that I haven't opened yet, so a few may change. Honestly I've only tried one bourbon that I can say I did not like.

Tim

jburlowski
11-05-2007, 16:43
In no particular order (and at this moment:

WLW 2006
PVW 15
WTAS
Hirsch 16 BW
ETL

Everman75
11-05-2007, 19:05
Here's my current line-up. Going to The Party Source on Saturday to get some stuff I can't find here, so this may change.:

Old Weller Antique 107
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Everman75
11-05-2007, 19:09
Oops. wasn't done...

Bookers
Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 90 (haven't been able to try the 101)
Makers Mark (because it was the bourbon that got me into bourbon, and it's not too bad either):cool:

JamesH007
11-05-2007, 20:18
1. Thomas Handy Rye
2. VW 12yr Lot B / Pappy 20
3. Elmer T.
4. Hirsch 16
5. 4 Roses 40yr

NickAtMartinis
11-05-2007, 20:33
GTS Fall '06 and '07

Every other bourbon beyond those two is a distance away. That's not hype talking. GTS is just great. Tonight, I started off with some Saz then GTS and WLW and GTS just blows WLW away. Saz is so different a whiskey and such a change of pace from GTS, that I can't and won't say GTS is far better but I really can't think of another bourbon that comes close in my short bourbon-drinking life.

TNbourbon
11-05-2007, 21:03
GTS Fall '06 and '07

Every other bourbon beyond those two is a distance away. That's not hype talking. GTS is just great...

No, not hype -- inexperience, maybe? Granted, Stagg is fine whiskey. But there have been many equals and/or betters over the years. George T. Stagg is, in some ways, the 'flavor-of-the-month'. It surely is popular these days, and highly-regarded by those publications that value their own ratings so highly. Especially by those that feature Scotch whisky.
Please don't take this as criticism or insult. But, understand also that many here have tasted not one, but many, whiskeys more memorable than the latest Stagg. That said, we like it, too. But, sometimes we appreciate a kiss on the cheek over a slap in the face. Ya know?

Sijan
11-05-2007, 21:31
In rough order:

ORVW/PVW 15
WT KY Tribute
WT 12
VWSR 12 Lot B
Stagg

Runners-up:
ORVW 10/107
Clynelish 14
Talisker 10

NickAtMartinis
11-05-2007, 21:48
No, not hype -- inexperience, maybe? Granted, Stagg is fine whiskey. But there have been many equals and/or betters over the years. George T. Stagg is, in some ways, the 'flavor-of-the-month'. It surely is popular these days, and highly-regarded by those publications that value their own ratings so highly. Especially by those that feature Scotch whisky.
Please don't take this as criticism or insult. But, understand also that many here have tasted not one, but many, whiskeys more memorable than the latest Stagg. That said, we like it, too. But, sometimes we appreciate a kiss on the cheek over a slap in the face. Ya know?

Tim, I never take anything personally. I appreciate your candor and certainly understand where you're coming from.

Like I've said before, I'm not one of those guys that can break down the different nuances, whether it be smell or flavor, of a certain whiskey - It's just not me. That being said, since purchasing 4/5th's of the '07 BTAC (minus the Handy), I've been sitting at home in the evenings drinking both the Stagg and WLW. Let me just preface what I'm about to write by stating that I'm a big Weller fan, but to taste GTS and then WLW (BTAC) - and vice-versa - I hate to say it, but it's no contest. Stagg better, by far, and I find myself somewhat put off by Weller.

And sure, like you said, I'm a novice but if you blindfolded me and put those two bourbons in front of me, I would have no problem differentiating between the two. And, I also truly believe that I would pick the Stagg over the Weller 10 out of 10 times.

Hype is everywhere and definitely on this board and Stagg is certainly hyped majorly but that hasn't, in my opinion, affected how I feel about it. In fact, six or so months ago, I saw GTS sitting on a shelf minding its own business. At the time, I was new to this site. Upon returning from the liquor store, I immediately went to this site for guidance, asking if this was a bourbon I should pick up. I was told to snatch it up and did. That night, after purchasing the Fall '06 Stagg, I sat in my silly, flowered chair (hey, I'm married :D ), feet up on the ottoman and drank Stagg for the first time. I loved it! And, that is without any hype other than some members saying, "go out and buy it."

Again, I'm a novice but the flavors are many and rich in the two iterations of Stagg that I've tasted, while I find WLW BTAC to be so mild and one-dimensional. And, I have tried them out of order, in that I've tried WLW BTAC first and then Stagg and my feelings remain the same.

Can I ever answer a post in short? :bigeyes::lol: Long storry, longer, without hype I love Stagg for its fullness of flavor! Heck, my Brother-In-Law who is a passive Whiskey drinker was over the other night and asked if I had "that really good bourbon." He was referring to the Stagg and he only had it once.

Tim, I realize that there are so many bourbons out there to experience. Never would I become so focused on one, especiallly an anual release, that I would avoid all others. And sure, there are other bourbons throughout the years that have been better, it's just that I haven't tasted them yet but hope to. And if you can help me along by providing recommendations, I certainly would appreciate it.

Again, Tim, thanks for your candor. And, don't ever think that what you say may hurt my feelings, my skin is thicker than an elephant's! ;)

Regards,

The other Mark Brown

T47
11-05-2007, 23:08
I really enjoy the few Stagg's I have been able to try. It's almost a "texture" thing if that makes sense? Both Stagg, A’bunadh, even Bookers, almost hit my tongue like hot buttered rum...creamy and thick and full of flavor.
Booker's might be a sentimental favorite as the first time I tried it my wife and I were on a "date" after dropping my oldest off at college...it has some nice memories that pump it up a little. Then the first Stagg I had was sent to me by a "virtual friend"...a whole new experience for this paranoid cyber infant...maybe that has something to do with it?
I am sure it has something to do with proof, but it's more. I enjoy ODG 114 but it does not have the same texture thing working for it. Both the VW 15 and Lot B hit me as packed full of flavor, rich and overwhelming, buttery and hot.
Life is good...

:toast:

camduncan
11-06-2007, 04:39
Current top 5 - (in order of preference)

1. Pappy 23
2. Four Roses Yellow Label
3. Makers Mark
4. Old Fitzgerald 1849
5. Dickel No 12

I notice my top five is in a constant state of flux. It always depends on what I've got open, and what I've felt like at the time. There's also several bottles in my bunker that would likely make a top 5 list once opened.

Gillman
11-06-2007, 05:21
Right at the moment but factoring in some older bottlings I still have:

1) Elijah Craig 12 years old - in its current incarnation and if you get a particularly good one, the best bourbon available today IMO.

2) Old Weller Antique 107 proof.

3) Buffalo Trace/Elmer T. Lee/Rock Hill Farms (provided these and no. 2 above avoid an earthy taste but recent samplings have)

4) National Distillers Old Taylor, 1970's-80's era, for its trademark maple/butterscotch-like notes

5) Bulleit when sweet, not too woody and focusing to the max on the cinnamon red hots element.

6) Honorable mention to Knob Creek, a long-time favorite and recently seemingly improved in quality.

One can see this leaves out many expensive, quality bottlings such as George Stagg, Four Roses Barrel Strength, W.L. Weller, etc. While I enjoy these, I find I return to those listed above as a staple.

Gary

NickAtMartinis
11-06-2007, 05:55

1) Elijah Craig 12 years old - in its current incarnation and if you get a particularly good one, the best bourbon available today IMO.

2) Old Weller Antique 107 proof.

3) Buffalo Trace/Elmer T. Lee/Rock Hill Farms (provided these and no. 2 above avoid an earthy taste but recent samplings have)

4) National Distillers Old Taylor, 1970's-80's era, for its trademark maple/butterscotch-like notes

5) Bulleit when sweet, not too woody and focusing to the max on the cinnamon red hots element.

6) Honorable mention to Knob Creek, a long-time favorite and recently seemingly improved in quality.

One can see this leaves out many expensive, quality bottlings such as George Stagg, Four Roses Barrel Strength, W.L. Weller, etc. While I enjoy these, I find I return to those listed above as a staple.

Gary

Gary, Weller Antique, in my opinion, is one great bourbon!!!! One of my favorites. Never one to eat or drink the same thing to excess, I believe that my list too fluctuates. And, as much as I love Stagg - I wrote about it last night in this thread - I wouldn't drink it every night of the week. So, there is never an everyday pour for me. Besides, Stagg is an annual release and therefore it would be difficult for most anyone to have Stagg at the ready year round.

Gillman
11-06-2007, 06:37
I agree and I'd just like to add a comment about EC 12. I find that recent bottlings make it the best all-round bourbon currently available. It has good depth, roundness, some smoke, some fruit, good length, all very well-integrated. I would say it is the Highland Park of the bourbon world. So, this is not to say there aren't many great bourbons out there but this one seems overall to me to be the best right now.

Gary

J.W.
11-06-2007, 10:05
Knob Creek
Buffalo Trace
Old Forrester 100
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Wild Turkey 101

These are the most often bought.
J.W.

jburlowski
11-06-2007, 10:56

Gary

But Gary, how do you know you are getting "the best bourbon available today"?

When I first tried EC12 I fell in love... But then the love became fickle. Some bottles of EC 12 were boring and mundane to a fault --- not bad but nothing special in any sense of the word. Others rekindled the excitement I first felt.

The maddening inconsistency of EC 12 is what drove me away. Has it gotten better? More reliable? If so, I'd love to love again. If not, I'll spend my dollars elsewhere.

MissingKY
11-06-2007, 11:12
I'll play. In no particular order:

- Four Roses Small Batch
- ND-era Old Taylor 86
- Old Charter Proprietors' Reserve
- Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10 year old
- Elmer T. Lee

The big surprise on the list for me is the ETL. I'd read a lot about it and bought a bottle 7-8 months ago only to find it pretty underwhelming even after a half-dozen or so tastes. It kind of got pushed to the back of my bar until I had a drink about a month ago. Wow! Maybe my tongue matured, but now I see what all the fuss is about. This one's super tasty.

NickAtMartinis
11-06-2007, 12:02
I agree and I'd just like to add a comment about EC 12. I find that recent bottlings make it the best all-round bourbon currently available. It has good depth, roundness, some smoke, some fruit, good length, all very well-integrated. I would say it is the Highland Park of the bourbon world. So, this is not to say there aren't many great bourbons out there but this one seems overall to me to be the best right now.

Gary

I've never had the EC12 but may give it a try. What other bourbon would you liken it to? Is it more rye or wheated, etc.?

Iluvanejos
11-06-2007, 12:44
I will start by saying there are many bourbons I feel could have made my top five list, and some that I am probably overlooking, but this is my top five in terms of bourbons that:

I always have a bottle open on the bar.
I have multiple backups in the bunker because I fear one of these days I will not be able to find the bottle anymore.
I am confident that when I reach for one of these 5 bottles, I know the product is consistently good, I know I really enjoy the profile, and each one is cherished for what it brings to the table.

1. Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon 1989/1992
2. Pappy 15
3. WT Kentucky Spirit Pewter top
4. ORVW 10/107
5. Eagle Rare 10/101

If I were to just say the top five bourbons that I have tried, but never seen again, I would have to include WT Tribute, and SW Fitz BIB, and WT 12 splits....

Also, In my humble opinion, there is no finer SMSW than Lagavulin from the old White Horse distillery.... A nice smoky change of pace for the special occasion....

Whiskey Willie
11-06-2007, 13:10
Geez, I haven't even sampled a lot of the whiskies cited in your lists...My top 5:

WT 101
WT Rye
ORVW 10yr/90
BT
Weller Antique 107

Everman75
11-06-2007, 14:39
Geez, I haven't even sampled a lot of the whiskies cited in your lists...My top 5:

WT 101
WT Rye
ORVW 10yr/90
BT
Weller Antique 107

Don't worry about it Willie. I am in the same boat as you, but slowly hoping to change that. BTW, it looks like you have some solid bourbons on you list.

TNbourbon
11-06-2007, 21:02
Tim, I never take anything personally. I appreciate your candor and certainly understand where you're coming from...
Appreciate it. I trust the membership here to whom I am familiar will validate that I'm generally pretty open-minded about individual tastes. I'm non-plussed by some favorites here (Elijah Craig 18yo, Sazerac 18yo -- hmmm, maybe 18 just isn't my lucky number), and I like some things that others generally don't (Old Potrero straight rye, a variety of single malt Scotches). Part of what makes it fun, I think.

doubleblank
11-06-2007, 21:43
I haven't done a true statistical analysis, but Stagg appears to be on less then half of the lists. It's not on mine either. It's a unique, flavorful whiskey for sure....but there are many others I'd take to a deserted isle for a lifetime of drinking. I'm glad it's available on a regular, annual basis.....but its not in my top five.

Top Five Candidates include

1. Some of Julian's bottlings of early '70's SW. A 14 and 16yo come to mind.
2. WT Tribute.
3. Van Blankle.....well, I picked it...my barrel of Lot B.
4. Hirsch 16yo......early versions.
5. SB.com Pappy 23's
6. ORVW 15/107.
7. OF BB 2002

Stag falls into the "I want to have some open.....but if I don't, well, I'll make do" list.

Randy

NickAtMartinis
11-07-2007, 05:21
I haven't done a true statistical analysis, but Stagg appears to be on less then half of the lists. It's not on mine either. It's a unique, flavorful whiskey for sure....but there are many others I'd take to a deserted isle for a lifetime of drinking. I'm glad it's available on a regular, annual basis.....but its not in my top five.

Top Five Candidates include

1. Some of Julian's bottlings of early '70's SW. A 14 and 16yo come to mind.
2. WT Tribute.
3. Van Blankle.....well, I picked it...my barrel of Lot B.
4. Hirsch 16yo......early versions.
5. SB.com Pappy 23's
6. ORVW 15/107.
7. OF BB 2002

Stag falls into the "I want to have some open.....but if I don't, well, I'll make do" list.

Randy

Randy, I think you're addicted to SW. ;)

NickAtMartinis
11-07-2007, 05:25
Appreciate it. I trust the membership here to whom I am familiar will validate that I'm generally pretty open-minded about individual tastes. I'm non-plussed by some favorites here (Elijah Craig 18yo, Sazerac 18yo -- hmmm, maybe 18 just isn't my lucky number), and I like some things that others generally don't (Old Potrero straight rye, a variety of single malt Scotches). Part of what makes it fun, I think.

Variety is the spice of life and we all have different tastes. What would this board be like if he we all liked the same bourbon. Just imagine the conversation:

BourbonLover1: Pappy Van Winkle 20yo is the best bourbon ever and nothing will ever come close.

BourbonLover2: You're right, BB1, the PVW20 IS the best. It's the be all end all."

BourbonLover3: I agree with BB1 and BB2. It's the best!!!!

END OF THREAD.

:grin:

We wouldn't have any conversations if we didn't like different bourbons.

scopenut
11-07-2007, 12:31
These have been mostly covered:

PVW 15/107
GTS 05/06
WLW 06
PVW 20
PVW 10/107

-Kevin

gblick
11-07-2007, 12:51
Those on my list are there because I already have some or can easily get it and for not too much money. There are some I've had that didn't make it onto my list simply because they are out of my price range (Pappy 23, Willetts, WT 15, etc....all tasted at Randy's!) so therefore I don't see myself being able to buy any. There are others in my bunker (PVW 20, FRSB, ORVW 15/107) that might have made it onto my list, but I've yet to try them (I know, I know...but I'll get around to them in my own sweet time!), but that goes against what I said in my first sentence since these are either hard to get, too hard to find, or too pricey to keep around with any regularity. With all this said, the WT12 maybe shouldn't be on my list (more than I really want to spend) but I put it there anyway, I guess because I have a bottle that I found for cheap.

nickynick
11-07-2007, 12:54
In no order,
Four Roses Small Batch
Elijah Craig 12 year old
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Eagle Rare 10 year old 101(I'm gonna miss this one, but I still have some bunkered!)
Elmer T Lee
Also thought hard about putting these in:
Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare 10 SB
ORVW 10/107

Non Bourbons:
Dickel Barrel Select
Dickel 12
Black Bush
Powers

Mamba
11-08-2007, 03:35
This is hard, since mine changes like everyone else's.

Saz 18
Saz Jr.

Those are my first two for sure.

WTRB
PVW20
WLW06

Those might follow.
Old, young, rye, wheat, I like it all.

fog
11-09-2007, 13:05
EC 12, Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10 yo, Four Roses Single Barrel, WT 101

heatmiser
11-09-2007, 15:01
Current Release Favorites:
1. ORVW15
2. GTS '06
3. AH Hirsch 16
4. ORVW Lot B
5. ETL

Older Bourbon:
1. Old Fitzgerald BIB
2. OGD BIB
3. Old Forester BIB
4. Eagle Rare 101
5. OGD 114

tmas
11-17-2007, 01:21
But Gary, how do you know you are getting "the best bourbon available today"?

When I first tried EC12 I fell in love... But then the love became fickle. Some bottles of EC 12 were boring and mundane to a fault --- not bad but nothing special in any sense of the word. Others rekindled the excitement I first felt.

The maddening inconsistency of EC 12 is what drove me away. Has it gotten better? More reliable? If so, I'd love to love again. If not, I'll spend my dollars elsewhere.

I have felt the same way about various bottles of RR 101 I've had, some being among the very best bourbons I have had, and other bottles being far less impressive. Has anyone else experienced this with RR 101? ... for that matter, are any SB folks of the opinion that this sort of variation is the rule rather than the exception, and might be a significant factor in the widely differing judgements of various bourbons by SB members? Tom V

tmas
11-17-2007, 13:40
I have felt the same way about various bottles of RR 101 I've had, some being among the very best bourbons I have had, and other bottles being far less impressive. Has anyone else experienced this with RR 101? ... for that matter, are any SB folks of the opinion that this sort of variation is the rule rather than the exception, and might be a significant factor in the widely differing judgements of various bourbons by SB members? Tom V

...anyway, I just wonder how many times when you have two experienced bourbon afficianados with completely different impressions of a given bourbon, they might turn to each other and say " hey, I see what you mean YOUR bottle does taste like that" if they were sitting next to each other instead on comparing notes on line. Tom

polyamnesia
11-23-2007, 19:55
Wild Turkey 101
Michter's US1 Whiskey
Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10yr
Stagg '07 (with a touch of water...or at least, whisper, "H2O" into the pour...)
Russell's Reserve 90of course, WT RR 101 was leading the way last week! and Rare Breed is still challenging me. it's all good! i just can't get a descriptive handle on it quite...

honorable mention:

Gentleman Jack (whiskey candy!)
Old Weller Antique 107

squire
11-28-2007, 11:28
Well, very favorites would involve time, place and company. In 1968 I had a pickup truck, blond girlfriend and a bottle of Very,Very Old Fitzgerald. It was one of the French authors, Dumas I think though Baudelaire more likely who wrote, "I don't remember the place, I've forgotten the name of the girl, but the wine was Chambertin".

Bourbon is my heritage. Rite of passage as a teenager. Hunting and fishing with the grown men who reared me. Overcast day in late Autumn, colors, light misty rain, smell of wet dogs and burned gunpowder out of paper shot shells, Old Crow out of a pint bottle after the dogs and guns had been put up, naw, I can't pick a top five choice without connecting the brand to a favorite recollection.

One does stand out. The day I got back from Vietnam my father and I sat on the back porch with a bottle of 6yr 86 proof Old Taylor. That was Dad's favorite and I really wish someone would restore Taylor to its former Glory.

Regards,
Squire

HipFlask
12-04-2007, 23:50
You painted quite a picture there Squire. I can certainly relate to Hunting and Fishing parts. Thanks for your service as well.

ratcheer
12-05-2007, 15:30
In no particular order:

Rock Hill Farms
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2002
Blanton's
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
Pappy 20
Tim

fog
02-20-2008, 13:10
WT 101
EC 12
FR 40th Anniversary
Knob Creek
Henry McKenna Single Barrel

NickAtMartinis
02-20-2008, 13:35

Tim, it's funny how much I agree with you now. It's amazing how, in such a short period of time, I've changed how I feel about bourbon. It just goes to show that we're all always changing our likes/dislikes as time goes on.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark

jwrussell
02-20-2008, 13:56
Wow, hard choices.

1) GT Stagg (that's the easy one)
2) Bakers
3) Knob Creek
4) William Larue Weller BTAC
5) Lot B

That's current and of course subject to constant change, lol. Just tried bookers recently and it will probably work its way in there as well.

Gillman
02-20-2008, 14:03
On the point of inconsistency: in truth except for a few brands, such as Jack Daniels, Jim Beam and one or two others, I find most brands change from bottling to bottling. They can't ever be the same almost by definition: since the wood staves in each barrel are from different trees from different places, no whiskey can taste the same even if the white dog always does (which it doesn't, I think). Add to this the variables produced by batching different barrels every time (i.e., they are not always from the same part of the warehouse and of the identical age), you will end up with something different - maybe not hugely different, but different.

A Bulleit just opened is rather different from one opened last month: much less cinnamon red hots, more wood, more dull.

But in general I find EC 12 very good: the old eucalyptus taste is gone, it has a brandy-like smoothness and depth, and is just good. I think it is the best all-round bourbon and I am prepared to accept some differences from bottle to bottle.

I have found this with almost all the bourbons I like best. Only, say, Beam Black is really consistent to any degree, and Beam White, and some others (Jack Daniel too). I attribute that to very rigorous scientific control but then those bourbons and Jack seem the least interesting to me of the whole group (although Beam Black occasionally hits a high point).

The differences are inevitable with what is essentially a natural product..

Gary

Old Lamplighter
02-20-2008, 19:18
I've mulled over this for a while now.....tough choices for sure.

PVW 15
WTRB
VWFRR
OCPR
Blanton's

birdman1099
02-20-2008, 21:00
Well, I'm so new to the Bourbon, my list seems to change frequently.

so, here they are today....

(in no particular order)

Pappy 20
Parker Heritage
EC 12
4 Roses 1b
WL Weller BTAC 2007

spun_cookie
02-20-2008, 21:04
Pappy 23 "B" version
WT 1855
Four Roses 40th 171C
WLW 2005
GT Stagg 2007

SBOmarc
02-21-2008, 19:45
Blanton's
VW Lot B
WLW '06
Buffalo Trace
Weller 12

Ask me next week...

boss302
02-22-2008, 00:48
1) Eagle Rare 17-year. For when only maturity and sophistication will do.

2) Ridgemont Reserve 1792. For an excellent digestif. Also good for the girlfriend's first dram.

3) Woodford Reserve. For when I'm drinking in a bar. In this part of PA, this is about the only small-batch bourbon you will find at a local bar-- aside from Knob Creek, of course.

4) Basil Hayden's. For an excellent aperitif. I like the lighter body and cool spiciness in this one. As a long-time OGD drinker, I went nuts for this one when I first discovered it.

5) Blanton's. Still the neatest bottle, and a mature, sophisticated spirit with just enough variation from barrel to barrel to keep me plenty interested.

PAspirit1
02-22-2008, 12:05
Like others have said, my top five will likely change every couple of months. I also havent delved very much into the top shelf or had any whiskey older than 12 years. This is a newbies list. I am leaving out whiskeys where I had only a 50ml or a drink.

Strait Bourbon only (a shooting from the hip and splitting hairs list):

OGD 100
Weller Antique
EC 12 (despite what I thought was a little canned mushroom like taste or feel)
EWSB 97' (that bottle just went like the wind but it may have been skewed as a return to Bourban bottle from scotch only for a while)
Bufalo Trace or Jim Beam Black

All whiskey:

OGD 100
The Glenlivit French Oak 12
Highland Park 12
Weller Antique
Johnnie Walker Black or EC12

If I bought all these again the bourbon list might come out different. Its really close.

HipFlask
02-23-2008, 02:03
Well to revisit my post here. My list has changed. It was

2. Van Winkle 15 yr
4.Rittenhouse BIB
5.Elmer T. Lee

It is now.
2. Van Winkle 15 yr
4.GTS
5.BTAC WLW

cigarnv
02-23-2008, 05:02
I tend to jump around a bit given my palate on a given day, the time of day and if in fact I may be pairing a cigar with the bourbon. In any case these 5 never seem to disappoint...

RVW 15/107
Hirsch 16 (gold wax)
Weller Antique
WT Rare Breed
GTS (141)

Old Bill
02-23-2008, 08:35
Top five overall:

Jim Beam Black
Old Grand Dad (any of the variants works for me)
Geo. Dickle No. 12
Wild Turkey
Jim Beam Rye

As you probably note from my list, I tend to drink from the middle of the road. I am a firm believer that a good bottle can be had in the $15 to $20 range. I know a few folks who absolutely will not drink anything that is under $30, and in my opinion, they are missing out on a lot of good bourbon and other whiskey.

Martian
02-23-2008, 11:42
Ardbeg 10
WT Rare Breed
EC 12
JB Rye
Clontarf Single Malt

fogfrog
02-23-2008, 12:21
So hard... I have only tasted maybe fifteen bourbons.... but of those I like I think I like these best.... I reckon my list will change real soon once I try four roses single barrel (Mcscrooges says they have a good bottleing) and Old Fitz..... shoot, maybe I should go out, buy a couple bottles and give you an update. In the past, my first days of drinking, I loved the Jim Beam White 7YO. I haven't had it in so long..... I bought a bottle of Old Grandad BIB based on people in here recommending it, and I think its about double the price of Evan Williams BIB but not better...... my taste changes from day to day and my collection is pretty large, but the most expensive pours I have are these.... I didn't include Jim Beam Black in the list but it is good but expensive here in TN.

4Roses small batch
Weller antique 107
Evan Williams
Basil Haydens
OGD 114

boss302
02-24-2008, 01:50
Ardbeg 10

Wow, Ardbeg has a 10-year out? I didn't know they've been distilling that long. Or was this a bottle from before the distillery got mothballed?

Jazzhead
02-24-2008, 07:28
I'll answer the question as if I had nothing in my liquor cabinet and had to restock it from scratch. The first five bottles I'd buy are:

1. Wild Turkey RR101 (I know a place in South Jersey that still has it)

2. Four Roses Single Barrel (I've only just been able to try this stuff and it is absolutely delicious)

3. Balvenie 15 yo Single Barrel (a premiere Speysider, and a must-have item for any liquor cabinet)

4. Redbreast Irish pot-still (the best Irish, hands down)

5. Lagavulin 16 yo (as a representative of the smoky Islay style; 18 yo Caol Isla would be a good substitute)

Two great and distinctive high proof bourbons, two scotches of contrasting styles and an ultra-smooth Irish. I could live with those! :)

drrich1965
02-24-2008, 08:09
Ardbeg's "old" 10 is still very much around. Many of them are vattings, in all likelyhood, of some older malts as well, and are mostly in the teens. Ardbeg's new 10 year old should be out later this year, as it has now been about ten years since the new owndership took over. The progression of the new bottelings when from the Very Young, Still Young, to the Almost There (6,8, and 9 year old, or something close to that, I belive) over the last several years.

I love the old Ardbeg 10, and have been trying to bunker a few for the time when they become harder to find (I would guess in about two years or so).

Worth finding now is the Uigadall, especially if you can find one of the bottels marked with 2004- that is the last one that had some very old Ardbeg, from the 1970s-it has a great deal of depth and complexity, and a good deal of malty sweetness, and some good sherry character as well (with the intense peat, of corse!).

drrich1965
02-24-2008, 08:11
I'll answer the question as if I had nothing in my liquor cabinet and had to restock it from scratch. The first five bottles I'd buy are:

1. Wild Turkey RR101 (I know a place in South Jersey that still has it)

2. Four Roses Single Barrel (I've only just been able to try this stuff and it is absolutely delicious)

3. Balvenie 15 yo Single Barrel (a premiere Speysider, and a must-have item for any liquor cabinet)

4. Redbreast Irish pot-still (the best Irish, hands down)

5. Lagavulin 16 yo (as a representative of the smoky Islay style; 18 yo Caol Isla would be a good substitute)

Two great and distinctive high proof bourbons, two scotches of contrasting styles and an ultra-smooth Irish. I could live with those! :)

I like your number 5 pick! Do you like the Caol Ila 18 better then the 12? I find the 12 better- more brightness, more intensity, and still enough aging for good balance (oak, sweet malt, peat, oily notes).

Jazzhead
02-24-2008, 08:19
The honest answer, drrich, is that I haven't tried the Caol Isla 12 yo. I have an open bottle of the 18 yo, and it is delicious (and leans like the Lagavulin more toward the "smoky" side of Islay as opposed to the "medicinal" side (not that I'm all that good at describing such distinctions; I've enjoyed all the Islays I've tried with the exception of 17 yo Bowmore.)

I will certainly try the 12 yo on the basis of both your recommendation and my enjoyment of the 18 yo. With the money difference, maybe I can also pick up an Ardbeg 10!

jsgorman
03-02-2008, 11:26
1) Springbank 21 YO
2) Hirsch 16 / 20 YO
3) WT Tribute 15 YO
4) Bowmore Voyage
5) Stagg (Any Year)

Everyday Drinkers...
Russell's Reserve 101 (1.5 cases bunkered)
Springbank 10YO

CorvallisCracker
03-07-2008, 16:04
In order:

1. Hirsch 16 BW
2. PVW 15
3. Weller Antique 7/107
4. Buffalo Trace
5. EC 12

The Hirsch is from the original release, which showed up at my favorite liquor store in Tallahassee (where I lived until Dec 2006) sometime around 1993. I bought one, took it home, tried it, went back and bought three more bottles of the 16 and one of the 20. IIRC, the prices were $40 and $60 respectively.

I opened the last bottle of the 16 last fall; it's about 3/4 full. The 20yo is unopened.

PVW 15 is one I'd been meaning to try, but had trouble finding. Oregon is a "controlled" state and it's not on the OLCC list of standards. Fortunately, the proprietor of "Big Y" liquors down in Eugene is someone who is willing to jump through all the OLCC hoops and stock a lot of non-standard stuff. I was in there the week after Christmas 2007, noticed he had PVW 20 but not 15 on the shelf. I commented on this and he brought out a bottle of 15 that he'd ordered for another customer who'd never showed up to take delivery.

Brought it home, tried it side by side with the Hirsch 16. The Hirsch had a VERY slight edge in complexity and smoothness. These two are definitely a cut above every other bourbon I've tried.

Weller Antique is not on the OLCC standard list. I really miss it.

BT is my "everyday" bourbon, and I use it as a benchmark when trying a new (to me) bourbon. EC 12 is my favorite alternative when I start getting bored with the BT.

Tomorrow I'll be driving down to "Big Y" to pick up a bottle of VW Lot B, which I've yet to try.

By the way, I've tallied the picks in this thread to this point (Mar 8 2008, 1500 PST). The Top Eleven:

Geo T Stagg: 15 (summed over all releases)
Wm Larue Weller: 11
PVW 15: 9
WT 101: 9
Weller Antique: 9
WT RB: 8
BT: 8
Elmer T Lee: 7
VW Lot B: 7
PVW 20: 7
EC 12: 7

I've never tried the GTS or WLW. Last time I was at "Big Y" (about a month ago) he had one bottle of GTS. If it's still there, I may pick it up.

As for non-bourbon, my favorites are:

Favorite Rye: Saz 18
Favorite Canadian: Forty Creek
Favorite Irish: Redbreast 12

Scotch? Don't particularly care for it, but I always have bottle of single malt on hand for my Scotch-drinking friends. Current offering is Aberlour a'bunadh. It's Batch 18, supposedly not one of the best but they seem to like it okay.

d_nelly78
03-13-2008, 00:32
I'm new to the game but here are my faves.
Bakers
Rock Hill Farms
Maker's Mark
Wild Tukey Russels Reserve
Jim Beam Black

Waiting to try.
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Buffalo Trace
George T Stagg

CorvallisCracker
03-13-2008, 10:47
In order:

1. Hirsch 16 BW
2. PVW 15
3. Weller Antique 7/107
4. Buffalo Trace
5. EC 12

Okay, having tried the VW Lot B and the GTS (2007) I have to revise the list.

1. Hirsch 16 BW
2, 3. PVW 15, VW Lot B (tie)
4. GTS (2007)
5. Weller Antique 7/107

After posting my previous entry in this thread, I realized the tally did not include my own picks. Here's an updated version that includes my (revised) picks:

GTS: 16 (summed over all releases)
WLW: 11
PVW 15: 10
Weller 7/107: 10
VW Lot B: 8
ETL: 7

Seems odd to me that the WT 101 has a higher count than the WT RB. I think the RB is better.

felthove
03-13-2008, 11:19
I have never had GTS but I do have a question for all you fans out there:

How many of you that really love it drink it at a reduced proof such as 100 or 90 proof? When dilluted with water down to some standard proof is it still the best whiskey out there? Or does the appeal lie in the flavor profile at barrel proof (or very close to it)?

I need to try this stuff!

CorvallisCracker
03-13-2008, 11:45
I have never had GTS but I do have a question for all you fans out there:

How many of you that really love it drink it at a reduced proof such as 100 or 90 proof? When dilluted with water down to some standard proof is it still the best whiskey out there? Or does the appeal lie in the flavor profile at barrel proof (or very close to it)?

I need to try this stuff!

I mix it 3:1 with filtered water, which reduces the proof to about 109 (2007 release).

Taggerung
03-13-2008, 12:58
Okay, having tried the VW Lot B and the GTS (2007) I have to revise the list.

1. Hirsch 16 BW
2, 3. PVW 15, VW Lot B (tie)
4. GTS (2007)
5. Weller Antique 7/107

After posting my previous entry in this thread, I realized the tally did not include my own picks. Here's an updated version that includes my (revised) picks:

GTS: 16 (summed over all releases)
WLW: 11
PVW 15: 10
Weller 7/107: 10
VW Lot B: 8
ETL: 7

Seems odd to me that the WT 101 has a higher count than the WT RB. I think the RB is better.

Am I right that 8 of these are from BT?

CorvallisCracker
03-14-2008, 09:45
Am I right that 8 of these are from BT?

Yes.

Scary, isn't it?

Also note that three of the top four are wheaters.

felthove
03-14-2008, 09:56
Surprised an OGD offering didn't make it in...

Tennessee Dave
03-14-2008, 13:27
Old Weller Antique
Van Winkle Lot B
Weller Reserve
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
ORVW 10 yo

CorvallisCracker
03-20-2008, 23:43
Another tally, this time done a little more deliberately. Last time I missed that some folks had posted altered/updated picks, and in many cases had posted lists which required some analysis. For example, they may have listed a Scotch in their top five, then included a "honorable mention" Bourbon. On the first pass I didn't count that Bourbon; this time I did.

I've excluded all the non-Bourbon picks. I don't know what Hipflask's original intention was; he said "whiskey" but himself listed only bourbons (or was here a rye too?)

But I think it's more useful to just tally the Bourbons (at least, more useful to me).

In most cases I could interperet a complex post (i.e., not a simple list of five) or one where a whiskey was inaccurately named (e.g. "ORVW Lot B") and do justice to the mentioned bourbons. There were only two that got the better of me:

Current Release Favorites:
1. ORVW15
2. GTS '06
3. AH Hirsch 16
4. ORVW Lot B
5. ETL

Older Bourbon:
1. Old Fitzgerald BIB
2. OGD BIB
3. Old Forester BIB
4. Eagle Rare 101
5. OGD 114

Okay, ORVW is not current; it was the predecessor to PVW 15, so I can't know which one was meant. Likewise the current GTS is the '07, not the '06. I also don't understand the second list; are these supposed to be no-longer-available bourbons? Because four of them still are.

Jeff, there's no way I could know which five are really your top five, so I couldn't count any of them. A clarification post would be welcome.

The other post I excluded listed only obscure special releases.

Anyway, here's the full tally:

16 GTS (2 '05, 1 '06, 4 '07 and 9 unspecified)

11 WLW (1 '05, 7 '06, 1 '07, 2 unspecified)

9 PVW 15
9 VW 12 Lot B
9 Weller 7/107
9 WT RB

7 BT
7 EC 12
7 PVW 20
7 WT NAS 101

6 Hirsch 16 (2 BW, 1 GW, 1 "early versions", 2 unspecified)

5 ETL
5 4R Single Bbl

4 Blantons
4 Old Forester BB (3 '02, 1 '06)
4 ORVW 10/107
4 WT 12/101

3 ER 10/90 SB
3 4R Small Batch
3 4R 40yr
3 KC
3 MM
3 Old Fitz S-W BIB
3 PVW 23
3 Rock Hill Farms
3 WT Trib 15/101

2 Bakers
2 Basil Haydens
2 Bookers
2 ER 10/101
2 McKenna SB 10
2 JB BL 8/86
2 OGD BIB
2 ORVW 10/unspecified
2 ORVW 15/107
2 Weller 12/90
2 WT KS
2 WT RR 10/101
2 WT RR 10/90

1 ER 17
1 EC 18
1 EW unspecified
1 4R Yellow Label (an export I guess)
1 Hirsch 20
1 Jeffersons Rsv 15
1 OC PR 13
1 Old Fitz 1849
1 Old Forester BIB
1 OGD unspecified
1 OGD BIB ND
1 OGD 114
1 OGD 114 ND
1 ORVW 10/90
1 OT 86 ND
1 Parkers Heritage
1 Ridgemont
1 "VW 15" (ORVW or PVW?)
1 Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10
1 Weller 10/100
1 WT unspecified
1 WT 1855
1 WT AS 15/100
1 WT RR 10/unspecified
1 Woodford

Ordering of these is, I think, a joint function of quality and availability. If everyone who posted had ever sampled, say, Hirsch 20 or one of the WT 15yo, the results might have been different.

tigerlam92
03-25-2008, 19:06
0. PVW23
1. ORVW 15 (only 1.3 bottle left!! I think this is by far my favorite)
2. PVW 20
3. PVW 15
4. EC18

I have three bottles of PVW23 that I haven't tried. Something like this I really want to drink with a fellow borbon drinker but coming from an Asian guy, no one around me drinks this "stuff" at all, LOL.

Secondly, I have notice that the first pour of my PVW20 was terrible, extremely woody. It was so bad that I was regretting buying all those bottles of 20 and 23 and was thinking how to pawn it out. But I waited a couple of days and a couple of pours later it tastes a lot better. Unfortunately it is still not quite as good as the ORVW15, IMO. I really like the sweeter more maple syrup quality of bourbon that the van winkle provides.

Wondering how the PVW23 will taste like.

Cheers
--Hugh

HipFlask
03-27-2008, 10:12
I wanted to reply to CorvallisCracker
"I've excluded all the non-Bourbon picks. I don't know what Hipflask's original intention was; he said "whiskey" but himself listed only bourbons (or was here a rye too?)"

First off I have really enjoyed the direction this post has taken. I also wanted to thank you (CorvallisCracker)tallying up the choices. It is quite interesting and revealing to see the trends in everyones "Top Five". Wheaters seem to be a favorite of most all.
I have also sampled some other whiskys because of this post. It is all good.
You are correct CorvallisCracker I do have VWFRR 13 Rye in my top 5. And that is the reason I opened it up to whiskey instead of just Bourbon. Since you have totalled up just the bourbons it would now be interesting to see all of the whiskies as another point of comparison.
I suppose I could have said top five American Straight whiskeys but in retrospect I am glad that I did not as whiskey is whisky and we are brothers and sisters in spirit as long as we are drinking whiskey. I am always looking for something new to pour. I hope this post continues to share knowledge of this amazing spirit.

My current top 5 are
1 VWFRR 13 yr
2 GTS
3 PVW 15
4 WLW BTAC
5 WLW 12 yr 90

CorvallisCracker
03-27-2008, 11:15
I wanted to reply to CorvallisCracker
"I've excluded all the non-Bourbon picks. I don't know what Hipflask's original intention was; he said "whiskey" but himself listed only bourbons (or was here a rye too?)"

First off I have really enjoyed the direction this post has taken. I also wanted to thank you (CorvallisCracker)tallying up the choices.

You're welcome!

Name is Scott, BTW.

Wheaters seem to be a favorite of most all.

Interesting, that.

I have also sampled some other whiskys because of this post.

Yes; although I'd been meaning to try the VW Lot B for a while, this thread finally induced me to go out and buy some.

And I'd try the William Larue Weller if I could find some.

You are correct CorvallisCracker I do have VWFRR 13 Rye in my top 5. And that is the reason I opened it up to whiskey instead of just Bourbon. Since you have totalled up just the bourbons it would now be interesting to see all of the whiskies as another point of comparison.

Sure...after I finish doing my taxes...

I suppose I could have said top five American Straight whiskeys but in retrospect I am glad that I did not as whiskey is whisky and we are brothers and sisters in spirit as long as we are drinking whiskey. I am always looking for something new to pour. I hope this post continues to share knowledge of this amazing spirit.

My current top 5 are
1 VWFRR 13 yr
2 GTS
3 PVW 15
4 WLW BTAC
5 WLW 12 yr 90

My "opened up" list would be:

1. Hirsch 16 BW
2, 3. PVW 15/VW 12 Lot B (tie)
4. Saz 18
5. GTS (2007)

I don't much care for Scotch, and although there are some Canadian and Irish whiskies I like, none would make it to my Top Five.

chilidawg7
04-14-2008, 15:16
1. Old Granddad 114
2. PVW 20
3. GTS 07
4. WT Rare Breed
5a. Blanton's
5b. Maker's Mark

I look forward to trying any Hirsch and the WLW BTAC sometime soon. They seem to be getting a lot of positive reviews here.