PDA

View Full Version : New Member

jdavis54
11-04-2007, 16:27
Hello to all! New member here! I've been lurking for a few weeks reading up on all the bourbon info I can trying to learn as much as possible. I'm still fairly new to the different expressions, like rye recipe or wheat recipe, and the differences between distiller's and brands. Though I seem to prefer the more mild wheat recipes so far. I used to just assume that all bourbon was the same and always went with MM, but then I found a bottle of PVW 15 and that really opened my eyes to how different they can actually be. Recently I've also picked up some Blanton's and a small bottle of 1796. I like them enough, but I still think the PVW 15 is my favorite so far. The only thing I'm bummed about is the less than stellar selection in my area. It's not terrible, but there aren't very many choices from the Buffalo Trace distillery at all (I picked up the PVW while traveling). We have all the Beam small batches though, and a few other good ones I'm looking forward to trying, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Jordan

ggilbertva
11-04-2007, 20:21
Jordan,

If you add your location to your profile, you may have members near you direct you to stores that carry an expanded collection. If you like PVW, you may also want to try Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year, 107 proof, Weller Antique 107 and Weller 12 year. All wheaters and all very good for the price.

jdavis54
11-04-2007, 23:57
Thanks for the tip Greg! Are any of those available near you? I'm not too far from the Northern Virginia/D.C. area and keep meaning to take a trip there sometime...possibly in the spring.

Jordan

Barkley
01-29-2008, 18:19
Welcome Jordan, you are progressing nicely. Good choices.

mozilla
01-29-2008, 19:08
Welcome to the board Jordan!

Just keep on tryin' every bourbon you can. They won't always taste the same to you from year to year. As your pallet improves your taste will change and selections may vary. I like to try different bourbons from the same distillery...and go head to head to find my favorites.
Enjoy your travels.