PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Australia

bongoman
11-04-2007, 23:07
Hi there

I'm new around here and ended up here after drinking boutique beer for many years. This has been my regular tipple for a long time: Coopers (http://coopers.com.au/beer.php)

My introduction to the world of distilled spirits came via a bottle of cognac I received for my 40th birthday (Chateau Fontpinot, Frapin XO) which was a revelation to say the least.

That got me very interested not just in the French brandies (cognac, armagnac and calvados) but also the wider world of distilled spirits including American whiskies.

At present, I have an open bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed which I am enjoying very much. Also, a bottle of Delord 25yo Armagnac (stunning) and a Remy VSOP (good enough).

Just today I found a bottle of Bookers here online in Australia so that might be next! Spirits are not cheap here, with taxes and the cost of shipping.

I know it is not bourbon but I'm dying to get my hands on some of the Californian brandy from Germain Robin (http://www.germain-robin.com/index.html)

Otherwise, I look forward to diving into the world of bourbon and learning heaps from you people out there.

I'm really interested in finding that sweet spot between quality and price.

camduncan
11-05-2007, 00:55
Welcome Bongoman! There's a few of us here from Australia, so you won't be alone. There's a wealth of information relating to bourbons available Downunder, as well as in the USA.
For an evolution of bourbons available here, check out the thread "Borubon Availability Downunder" It's in the General Discussion area.

Jeeper
11-05-2007, 13:00
Welcome Bongoman. Booker's will definately bring you into the bourbon spirit with a bang... and a slight burn.

bongoman
11-05-2007, 14:11
Thanks Camduncan and Jeeper.

Camduncan, I'll go check that thread out. Sounds good.

And Jeeper, after reading more reviews, maybe the Bookers is not something for the new Bourbon drinker but it sure sounds interesting.

For now the Wild Turkey Rare Breed is keeping me very interested.

camduncan
11-05-2007, 17:05
No problem Bongoman.
Where abouts in Australia are you?

bongoman
11-06-2007, 02:44
Camduncan, I'm in Byron Bay.

I notice you are in Brisbane, so not so far away relatively speaking.

J.W.
11-06-2007, 10:11
Hello Bongoman, My ex brother-in-law is from Australia when he came to visit I got him hooked on Bourbon. His favoriet was "Jim Beam white lable"?? any way glad to have you aboard Mate.
J.W.

HighTower
11-07-2007, 15:08
Bongoman,

You should be able to get Booker's from a retail outlet in Byron, maybe the liquor store under the beach hotel? Failing that the Coast Country Liquor outlet should have some. Failing that, you could go and see Kate at IGA liquor in Ballina, she has a decent selection.
Alternatively, I can get it for about $72 here in Brisbane.

Enjoy the ride!

Scott

bongoman
11-07-2007, 16:34
Thanks Hightower

I had a look in the Beach Hotel bottlo the other day - they have just done a new fitout and were still getting bottles on the shelves.

I'll get down to Ballina one of these days and have a look around.

I just need to get under control a little - after reading the forums here there's so much I want to try! I gotta get a grip and slow down a little although it is a little depressing seeing bottles that sell for $20-$30 in the States selling for $70-90 here.

Which brings me to the question - at what point is it worth ordering from overseas?

Let's say I wanted to buy some Bakers & Old Grandad 114 - is it worth just paying the extra here or worth getting an order from overseas for bottles at that price point?

Or is it only worth doing for bottles you actually can't get here?

camduncan
11-07-2007, 17:35
As a general rule for ordering overseas (assuming it gets stopped by Australian Customs and you are charged import duty accordingly)

Take the price of the bottle in $US plus *shipping in $US, then double it.
That'll be pretty close to what it will cost in Australian cost.

If Customs don't stop the bottles, it will be much cheaper.

* Cost of shipping 10 bottles from US to Australia is approx $220 or $22 US each. Cost of shipping two bottles from US to Australia can be more than $75 US

HighTower
11-08-2007, 00:12
Let's say I wanted to buy some Bakers & Old Grandad 114 - is it worth just paying the extra here or worth getting an order from overseas for bottles at that price point?

Or is it only worth doing for bottles you actually can't get here?
Like Cam said,
It gets expensive.
Definitely do not order anything you can get in oz.
Sure, Baker's is only $37.99 at Binny's, and our exchange rate is good, but, you ship 2 bottles form there you will pay US$95 in shipping, my wife found that out the hard way. Costs $210-220 to ship 10 bottles, which makes it cheaper per bottle, but that makes it more prone to customs getting it. Double edged sword. The last bill I got from customs for 10 bottles from Binnys was $445. That was just duty and GST. The 10 bottles had already cost around $1100 with shipping.
Even bottles from Nicks, the only way you will get them here cheaper is if you have 10 bottles in the box and pray customs don't get it.
I have another box that should come in next week from Binnys, I will let you know if customs are still on my case.

Have a look at the Binny's site, and if there's anything you want I could throw it in a box (I will get at least 1 more box before Xmas) and we could sort it out later....

Cheers

Scott

bongoman
11-08-2007, 01:42
Cheers Camduncan and HighTower.

We need a bourbon club like the guys have created at singlemalt.com.au (http://www.singlemalt.com.au/malts/maltsCalendar.php) for Scotch whisky lovers.

camduncan
11-08-2007, 02:00
We need a bourbon club like the guys have created at singlemalt.com.au (http://www.singlemalt.com.au/malts/maltsCalendar.php) for Scotch whisky lovers.

We have one! It's called www.straightbourbon.com (http://www.straightbourbon.com) :lol: :lol: :lol:

HighTower
11-08-2007, 03:23
We have one! It's called www.straightbourbon.com (http://www.straightbourbon.com) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cam's right....
10 Years,
100,000 posts,
and nearly 3000 members can't be wrong!:grin:
Not to mention being the Internet's #1 bourbon source!
Think about it, how did you find this site....it doesn't matter what you search for when it comes to bourbon, chances are you'll end up here.
What we need to do is increase the Aussie membership, that's all!

So any Aussies lurking out there that haven't joined up, do it, then maybe you can enjoy all the good stuff we're drinking! We do like to share with like minded people :grin:

Scott