PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Bourbons and Ryes for Beginners

Sijan
11-08-2007, 09:11
Below are my recommendations for beginners who are just getting into bourbon and don't want to blow a ton of money right away. Most of them should be pretty widely available. Prices vary nationwide, but most should generally be $20-25ish or less.

These are all high quality bourbons - some rated very highly by veteran members of this site - that are also great values. I can't guarantee you'll like all of them, but I think they will allow you to see the different styles of several different bourbon distilleries.

I have also included a rye whiskey recommendation for four of the five distilleries.

Buffalo Trace
W.L. Weller 7 year old 107 proof
Buffalo Trace
W.L. Weller 12 year old
Eagle Rare Single Barrel*
Elmer T. Lee*
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old 90 proof* (my top recommendation on this list)
Sazerac Rye*

Heaven Hill
Elijah Craig 12 year old
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Rittenhouse Rye Bottled-in-Bond* (100 proof)

Jim Beam
Jim Beam Black 8 year old*
Old Grand-Dad Bottled-in-Bond* (100 proof)
Jim Beam Rye

Old Forester
Old Forester 100 Proof/Signature*

Wild Turkey
Wild Turkey 101 proof*
Wild Turkey Rye

* denotes a personal favorite

Veterans, please feel free to add similar recommendations to this list.

Sijan
11-08-2007, 09:19
Here are a few additional bourbons that I would recommend that may not be widely available or have been discontinued (but may still be available in your area):

Barton
Very Old Barton 100 proof

Buffalo Trace
Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old (NOT 10 star)
Eagle Rare 101 proof
Old Charter 12 year old 90 Proof (aka The Classic 90)

Heaven Hill
Old Fitzgerald 1849 8 year old (this is still produced but with no age statement)
Evan Williams 1783 10 year old (this is still produced but with no age statement)

Wild Turkey
Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 101 proof

bongoman
11-08-2007, 12:06
Thanks Sijan for that useful list.

As a newbie here and to bourbon in general, I find those suggestions very helpful.

polyamnesia
11-08-2007, 13:53
thanks for that list.

got to add another thumbs up for WT 101!

aching to try that RR 101...i know it's a goner, but hear there are still bottles out there. i thought the 90 was already STELLAR!

and yes to that Weller 107...what a bargain

camduncan
11-08-2007, 14:33
aching to try that RR 101...i know it's a goner, but hear there are still bottles out there

About 22 on the shelf at my local when I looked last week.
...but getting them to the US from Australia might be a tad expensive.:bigeyes:

polyamnesia
11-08-2007, 15:09
About 22 on the shelf at my local when I looked last week.
...but getting them to the US from Australia might be a tad expensive.:bigeyes:

22!?

there may be 22 plus a few more bottle of everything at MY local store!!!

anyways, i am sure i will get one sometime. it seems to be "out there" somewhat!

thanks cameron :)

p.s.

i know all about shipping from down under! i am always getting quite lightweight MATCHBOX diecast shipped to me and even THOSE are pricey when shipped here!

NickAtMartinis
11-08-2007, 16:09
Below are my recommendations for beginners who are just getting into bourbon and don't want to blow a ton of money right away. Most of them should be pretty widely available. Prices vary nationwide, but most should generally be $20-25ish or less.

These are all high quality bourbons - some rated very highly by veteran members of this site - that are also great values. I can't guarantee you'll like all of them, but I think they will allow you to see the different styles of several different bourbon distilleries.

I have also included a rye whiskey recommendation for four of the five distilleries.

Buffalo Trace
Buffalo Trace
W.L. Weller 12 year old
Elmer T. Lee*
Sazerac Rye*

Heaven Hill
Elijah Craig 12 year old

Jim Beam
Jim Beam Rye

Old Forester

Wild Turkey
Wild Turkey 101 proof*
Wild Turkey Rye

Great idea and job, Dan.

MissingKY
11-08-2007, 20:27
Nice list, Dan; I'll definitely cross some of those off my list soon.

Polyamnesia, I couldn't send you a PM, but if you're looking for RR 101 and you're near Philly, I saw some a few weeks ago in northern Delaware. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you more details. Same offer for anyone else who's interested.

Ruby K
11-08-2007, 20:35
Good list... would you add Knob Creek to it? I can still find it for 23, 24 a bottle and I enjoy it.

Sijan
11-08-2007, 21:11
Yes, if you can find Knob Creek in that price range, it would definitely have a spot on the list. Not everyone likes it, but some folks swear by it. It is not a personal favorite of mine, but I certainly have respect for it.

mgilbertva
11-11-2007, 20:59
Excellent list, Dan. I only have a couple to add.

From Heaven Hill:
Henry McKenna Single Barrel BIB

From Tennessee:
George Dickel #12

JRomain
11-11-2007, 23:42
thanks for that list.

got to add another thumbs up for WT 101!

aching to try that RR 101...i know it's a goner, but hear there are still bottles out there. i thought the 90 was already STELLAR!

and yes to that Weller 107...what a bargain
The RR 90 is garbage. Just wait until you get those lips around a snifter of the 101. You'll think you died and went to heaven.

Sijan
11-12-2007, 08:30
Thanks, Mark. I would second your recommendation of Dickel #12. I think it's the best nonpremium (aka not small batch, single barrel, etc.) Tennessee Whiskey on the market.

Sijan
12-21-2007, 10:15
I wonder if the current DSP-1 version of Old Fitzgerald Bottled-in-Bond would be a good bottling to add to the list? Any thoughts?

gblick
12-21-2007, 10:43
I wonder if the current DSP-1 version of Old Fitzgerald Bottled-in-Bond would be a good bottling to add to the list? Any thoughts?I wrote about my experiences with DSP-KY-1/31 here:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7893&page=40

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8409

Hopefully I just got ahold of some recent bottles that were anomalies, and that there is some good 'current' OFBIB.

Eggman
12-22-2007, 21:16
Howdy,

I keep many of these on my shelf. JBB, WT101 (although my bottle is reading low), Dickels 12 (I'm not terribly impressed) and even JBW, although I prefer Black label. FWIW, of these aforementioned, I prefer JBB.

Eggman

PS: For that matter, I slightly prefer JBB to Knob Creek, but maybe I should give KC a few more tastes.

Barkley
01-28-2008, 23:57
Thanks Dan, good list. I only wish all of them were available in Oregon.

Sijan
03-05-2008, 20:47
Just bumping this up for those who have recently joined the forum.

callmeox
03-05-2008, 20:54
Thanks for the bump. I'm compiling lots of what I've read here to make a shopping/wish list so see what I can find on my travels. Kind of like an adult easter egg hunt if you will.

wintermute
03-07-2008, 12:03
Sijan,

This is a great and very helpful thread. Should be made a sticky to help all us newbs!

Sijan
03-07-2008, 12:08
Thanks! Making it a sticky isn't a bad idea - something for new users to see pretty quickly after they join the forum. I know I wish I had found something like this before making some of the ridiculous purchases I made when I was starting out. What say you, mods?

NickAtMartinis
03-07-2008, 14:05
Thanks! Making it a sticky isn't a bad idea - something for new users to see pretty quickly after they join the forum. I know I wish I had found something like this before making some of the ridiculous purchases I made when I was starting out. What say you, mods?

I was about to suggest stickying this to the top. Hopefully the Modship agrees.:grin:

Mark

Ryan
03-07-2008, 17:56
First of all great post very help full! Wish I would have seen this before I dropped $30 on Woodford.

I also have a quick question. On this list, is Wild turkey the only rye based bourbon?

-R

NickAtMartinis
03-07-2008, 18:12
First of all great post very help full! Wish I would have seen this before I dropped $30 on Woodford.

I also have a quick question. On this list, is Wild turkey the only rye based bourbon?

-R

Ryan, I hope the following is helpful. And, welcome to the board.

Buffalo Trace
W.L. Weller 7 year old 107 proof - Wheated
Buffalo Trace - Rye'd
W.L. Weller 12 year old - Wheated
Eagle Rare Single Barrel - Rye'd
Elmer T. Lee - Rye'd (a guess since I just bought it)
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old 90 proof (my top recommendation on this list) - Wheated
Sazerac Rye

Heaven Hill
Elijah Craig 12 year old - Rye'd
Evan Williams Single Barrel - Rye'd
Rittenhouse Rye Bottled-in-Bond (100 proof)

Jim Beam
Jim Beam Black 8 year old - Rye'd
Old Grand-Dad Bottled-in-Bond* (100 proof) - Rye'd
Jim Beam Rye

Old Forester
Old Forester 100 Proof/Signature - Rye'd

Wild Turkey
Wild Turkey 101 proof - Rye'd
Wild Turkey Rye

Sijan
03-07-2008, 18:35
Thanks Mark, for saving me the trouble. Yes, Elmer T. Lee is "Rye'd."

Ryan
03-07-2008, 20:08
That is very help ful! Thank you much!

LarryG
03-08-2008, 10:03
I too found Dan's list most helpful and would cast a vote for making this a sticky.

Dan, since you broached the subject ... what were some of those "ridiculous purchases" you made early on? Or would you rather not say? :bigeyes:

Larry

ratcheer
03-08-2008, 15:27
Yes, if you can find Knob Creek in that price range, it would definitely have a spot on the list. Not everyone likes it, but some folks swear by it. It is not a personal favorite of mine, but I certainly have respect for it.

Also, it is definitely not in that price range in a lot of areas. Here, it is more like $35.

Tim

Sijan
03-09-2008, 09:26
Dan, since you broached the subject ... what were some of those "ridiculous purchases" you made early on? Or would you rather not say? :bigeyes:
Larry

Going out of my way to spend at least $50 each on the two different older bottles of Jefferson's Reserve (the 15 year old and the "Very Old" 12-17 year old) would certainly make the list.

Sijan
03-23-2008, 18:24
Bump for new members, particularly Wineguy, who had a related question on another thread.

Huegeb
03-23-2008, 19:59

Buffalo Trace
Buffalo Trace
W.L. Weller 12 year old
Elmer T. Lee*
Sazerac Rye*

Heaven Hill
Elijah Craig 12 year old

Jim Beam
Jim Beam Rye

Old Forester

Wild Turkey
Wild Turkey 101 proof*
Wild Turkey Rye

Thank you very much for this list. I have liked many of the Wild Turkeys but haven't had too many of the Wellers or Van Winkle or any other of those sweeter bourbons. Unfortunately, I have never seen a Van Winkle brand but have seen some of the Wellers.

Thank you again for you generosity in sharing this list.

Geb

WineGuy
03-23-2008, 20:18
Thank you for the list. What do you think of Makers Mark? It was on sale when I was buying WT101 for only a couple dollars more.

Sijan
03-23-2008, 20:30
Thank you for the list. What do you think of Makers Mark? It was on sale when I was buying WT101 for only a couple dollars more.

It is ok, but not a personal favorite nor something I would recommend strongly. But plenty of people like it. It's usually overpriced. I would try one of the W.L. Weller wheaters from Buffalo Trace instead.

Sijan
03-23-2008, 20:34
Unfortunately, I have never seen a Van Winkle brand but have seen some of the Wellers.

They come from the same stock of wheated bourbon at Buffalo Trace, some of it being Stitzel-Weller whiskey. Julian and Preston Van Winkle are pickier about which barrels of whiskey end up with the Van Winkle name on it, but there is probably plenty of W.L. Weller 12 year old that could have been bottled as Van Winkle and vice-versa.

WineGuy
03-27-2008, 16:28
It is ok, but not a personal favorite nor something I would recommend strongly. But plenty of people like it. It's usually overpriced. I would try one of the W.L. Weller wheaters from Buffalo Trace instead.

WL Weller 7yo was $14.99, Buffalo Trace was $19.99, and WL Weller 12yo was $24.99.

Is the WL Weller 12 year old heads and shoulders above the 7 year old when you factor in price?

CorvallisCracker
03-27-2008, 16:45
WL Weller 7yo was $14.99, Buffalo Trace was $19.99, and WL Weller 12yo was $24.99.

Is the WL Weller 12 year old heads and shoulders above the 7 year old when you factor in price?

Is that the 7/90 or the 7/107?

If 7/90, then the 12yo is going to be better. If 7/107, the higher proof closes the gap quite a bit.

WineGuy
03-27-2008, 17:18

If 7/90, then the 12yo is going to be better. If 7/107, the higher proof closes the gap quite a bit.

It said "Special Reserve" on the label, and the 7 year old was on the bottle head. I don't remember seeing what proof it was.

barturtle
03-27-2008, 17:40
It said "Special Reserve" on the label, and the 7 year old was on the bottle head. I don't remember seeing what proof it was.

Special Reserve is the 90. The 107 is also known as Antique.

PhilsFan
04-11-2008, 03:27
Dan, Thanks for the list! I recently bought ETL (on the list) and FRSB
(not on your list) and am enjoying both. My question as a newbie is this...I've never had rye...and I see that you've recommended RR BIB 100.. How close is rye to the taste of bourbon, and would I be more likely to enjoy rye if I like a bourbon made with rye?

Thanks, Joe

felthove
04-11-2008, 12:31
IMO RR BIB does have many bourbon characteristics while some other ryes in the price range can come off as lighter (JB rye) and fruiter (WT rye -- think green apples) than bourbon. If you like bourbon with some spice and a bit of sweetness up front I think you'll enjoy it.

PhilsFan
04-11-2008, 16:52

My next purchase is going to be one of the Wellers... So if you had to rank them would it be 1) Weller 12yo 2) 7/107 and then Special Reserve?

And if Centennial is still available would it top those three?
Thanks
-Joe

Special Reserve
04-12-2008, 05:35
"My next purchase is going to be one of the Wellers... So if you had to rank them would it be 1) Weller 12yo 2) 7/107 and then Special Reserve?

And if Centennial is still available would it top those three?"

Yes, Centennial (particularily the Louisville version) would top this list. The rest of the list is in the usually accepted order.

Nothing against Weller's Special Reserve, it's my most frequent pour.

Will

chilidawg7
04-12-2008, 08:52
I would recommend Old Granddad 114. It can be found for approximately $25 a bottle. Smooth, strong and warm, IMHO.

gblick
04-12-2008, 16:49
My next purchase is going to be one of the Wellers... So if you had to rank them would it be 1) Weller 12yo 2) 7/107 and then Special Reserve?

And if Centennial is still available would it top those three?
Thanks
-Joe
Nah, I put the Antique above the Weller 12 (and they cost about the same in Houston, actually the 12 is usually a little cheaper).

As for the Centennial....it's pretty hard to find here and it costs at least $10 more than the Antique, and I'm not sure the price difference is really worth it.

YMMV

spun_cookie
04-12-2008, 23:33
Nah, I put the Antique above the Weller 12 (and they cost about the same in Houston, actually the 12 is usually a little cheaper).

As for the Centennial....it's pretty hard to find here and it costs at least $10 more than the Antique, and I'm not sure the price difference is really worth it.

YMMV

contact me and I can get you some... great bourbon.. .worth the extra for what I have...

HipFlask
04-13-2008, 09:14
My bottle of Weller 12 is amazing. It is a Binny's select barrel. It is better than the Anitque 107 in my opinion. That said I love the stuff too. I have been meaning to pick up a regular bottle of the weller 12yr to see if the Binny's sticker is a special bottle. And I need to get back down to Chicago to pick up another bottle or 2.

callmeox
04-13-2008, 14:03
IIRC, Brett said that he picked his Weller 12 from 14 year old Bernheim stock and the barrels were marked as Old Fitzgerald. I don't know if that qualifies it as special or not but it sure is tasty stuff. :grin:

gblick
04-14-2008, 06:33
I wasn't talking about any special bottlings, just the regular stuff that I've had. Maybe someday I'll get to try some of these selected barrels with the extra aging, etc.

gblick
04-16-2008, 11:26
contact me and I can get you some... great bourbon.. .worth the extra for what I have...
Thanks for the offer, spun_cookie, that's very nice of you!

Ryan
04-30-2008, 08:39
Quick question on the 10yr Van Winkle. Does the 90 proof have a age statement on it? I found the 90 and the 107, the 107 said it was 10 years old but I could not find it on the 90 proof.

Rake
04-30-2008, 13:26
Quick question on the 10yr Van Winkle. Does the 90 proof have a age statement on it? I found the 90 and the 107, the 107 said it was 10 years old but I could not find it on the 90 proof.

Also 10 years old, according to their site (http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/wProducts?readForm&t=Products).

HipFlask
05-02-2008, 14:06
The one I bought just today says 90 proof and 10 years on the bottle.

OldJack
05-07-2008, 07:07
This thread is fantastic. Thanks to Dan for helping me develop my next shopping list!

CorvallisCracker
06-17-2008, 13:12
A thread "refresher" - thread begins here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142)

FYI for the newer folks - Dan ("Sijan") is one of the highly regarded members here, but hasn't been posting much lately because of a new job that's keeping him too busy.

marco246
06-18-2008, 13:50
Thanks for reviving this thread. It's very helpful as I try to build knowledge and a basic collection of decent whiskeys.

Sijan
07-03-2008, 15:24

As another member answered, they are both 10 years old.

However, I'd like to clarify that both the 90 and the 107 are extremely good and you shouldn't necessarily choose the 90 over the 107 just because it's the one I put on the list. I think the 107 was excluded from the list only because of price. But I think they are both extremely good, and the 107 is likely the better bourbon of the two.

That said, I think the 90 proof VW is the perfect introduction to bourbon, as it is excellent, sweet, mellow (and affordable!) bourbon that is going to kick people in the teeth with high proof. It is what I offer to people who say they've never had bourbon before but want to see what all the fuss is about.

Sijan
07-03-2008, 15:32
I would recommend Old Granddad 114. It can be found for approximately $25 a bottle. Smooth, strong and warm, IMHO.

OGD 114 fits on this list very well if you can find it in the right price range. I think I often see it in the low $30s.

However, I would note that it is 114 proof and thus may not the best choice for your (or someone else's) very first bourbon. I personally have found the current bottling of OGD 114 a bit hot & harsh, and prefer the current OGD BIB to the 114, but older bottlings of the 114 have been very tasty indeed. Some members really seem to like the current OGD 114.

bluesbassdad
07-03-2008, 16:23
Dan,

It would probably go over even better if you were to transfer it to a bottle with red wax rivulets on the cap and neck. ;)

Oh, and I think you accidentally omitted a negative in the second paragraph.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Sijan
07-04-2008, 06:15
Thanks, Dave. You're right. I meant to say:

I think the 90 proof VW is the perfect introduction to bourbon, as it is excellent, sweet, mellow (and affordable!) bourbon that is NOT going to kick people in the teeth with high proof.

Scoots
07-06-2008, 15:30
Many THANKS for this very invaluable list!!!

I see there are more affordable "wheaters" for me to sample!

dunk50
07-18-2008, 09:13
A thread "refresher" - thread begins here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142)

FYI for the newer folks - Dan ("Sijan") is one of the highly regarded members here, but hasn't been posting much lately because of a new job that's keeping him too busy.

Then I would like to say ( tongue in cheek) that he needs to get his priorities straight. Us rookies are pouring over all these threads looking for insight and what is he doing, WORKING! Now with a list of about 15 I am retired and off to do some shopping. Thanks all and I do mean that sincerly!

CorvallisCracker
07-18-2008, 10:58
Then I would like to say ( tongue in cheek) that he needs to get his priorities straight. Us rookies are pouring over all these threads looking for insight and what is he doing, WORKING!

And to make it even worse he's now posting about it. Sheesh.

hjminard
07-18-2008, 11:17
Fantastic thread ... thanks, Dan!

shaman
07-19-2008, 13:27
Great thread.

Thank you for the information.

Ryan
08-20-2008, 15:47
My favorite on the list so far is the Old Charter 90. I may have to pick up a few more bottles before they are gone forever. I may pick up that VW 107 too!

Dan thanks again for the list!

Scott thanks for bumping, I think this is a great resource for new us noobs!

Sijan
04-14-2009, 21:28
I'm gonna go ahead and bump this again

Maddog918
04-17-2009, 18:58
Thanks for the bump Dan. Great thread!! I just got started on the list.

Brian

independant
04-20-2009, 19:47
Great list, I am glad it was bumped so us nubs could learn from it. On a sad note out of the 19 listed on the first two posts I can only find 11 in my area.
Now I have something to look for on my trip
Up to PA next month.

ggilbertva
04-22-2009, 19:39
Great list, I am glad it was bumped so us nubs could learn from it. On a sad note out of the 19 listed on the first two posts I can only find 11 in my area.
Now I have something to look for on my trip
Up to PA next month.

Dan,

PA is a controlled state so don't expect much. MD on the other hand is not controlled and therefore you can find a lot of good stuff. I stopped in at Mountain Liquor off Rt. 15 on the MD/PA border and picked up some Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye. They also had Parkers Heritage, OWA and some other good stuff.

funknik
04-23-2009, 08:16
OGD 114 fits on this list very well if you can find it in the right price range. I think I often see it in the low $30s. I personally have found the current bottling of OGD 114 a bit hot & harsh, and prefer the current OGD BIB to the 114.

The OGD 114 does seem to vary greatly in price . . . I get it around here for the same price as the BIB $17.99. For that price it is well worth it and, personally, I find it to be much, much better than the BIB, which I think tastes like herbal medicine a la Ricola.

Dan, this is a great thread, glad you made it back to bump it.

I'd like to add Old Ezra 7/101 (or Virgin 7/101) to the list. It's not a great bourbon, but it's very good, especially for around $13-$15, & with EC12 sneaking into the mid $20s some places, it's a good representation of Heaven Hill at a reasonable price. Plus, although I don't personally think it's better than the current WT 101, it is the same proof but with an age statement.

Pieface
04-23-2009, 17:44
I'd like to add Old Ezra 7/101 (or Virgin 7/101) to the list. It's not a great bourbon, but it's very good, especially for around $13-$15, & with EC12 sneaking into the mid $20s some places, it's a good representation of Heaven Hill at a reasonable price. Plus, although I don't personally think it's better than the current WT 101, it is the same proof but with an age statement.

Good call on this label IMHO Funknik (well the Aussie Virgin 101 I have had ;) ). This is a great bourbon for taking to a party or when the budget is tight. If a friend wants to mix it you don't cringe and you get a decent sipper. It's certainly more flavourful than a Jim Beam Black or Makers Mark.

MissingKY
04-26-2009, 13:23
I'm a big fan of the Old Heaven Hill BIB with no age statement on it. It's not a world beater, but I don't think I've ever paid more than $8 or $9 for it. At the price, it's tough to beat. Not too shabby neat, and strong enough to hold its own against ginger beer in a long drink.

funknik
12-07-2009, 05:11
Giving this one a bump for the newbies . . .

sailor22
12-07-2009, 05:51
I just had a weekend with relatives who were visiting and I had a house full of newbies. The Weller 12 was a huge hit.

Stones
12-08-2009, 16:02
Good call on this label IMHO Funknik (well the Aussie Virgin 101 I have had ;) ). This is a great bourbon for taking to a party or when the budget is tight. If a friend wants to mix it you don't cringe and you get a decent sipper. It's certainly more flavourful than a Jim Beam Black or Makers Mark.

Missed this post by you Pieface but i wholeheartedly agree with you, Virgin is a surprisingly good pour and nicely priced to boot! Its also my favourite 'party pack' bourbon.
2 thumbs up! :drinking:

camduncan
12-08-2009, 19:27
Missed this post by you Pieface but i wholeheartedly agree with you, Virgin is a surprisingly good pour and nicely priced to boot! Its also my favourite 'party pack' bourbon.
2 thumbs up! :drinking:

And don't underestimate the 'fun & joke factor' the name often generates. It's one of the reasons I miss Australia having Fighting Cock available.... :lol:

loneranger84
12-10-2009, 20:05
Just wanted to post a quick "Thank you" for this list. It helped to introduce me to the world of bourbon and has made a bourbon lover out of me!

:drinking:

Just a quick note that Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr is not so cheap around these parts. (Southern California.) It'll run you the same price as a handle of WT101.

Also, might I recommend the EWSB to anyone looking for an exceptional bourbon. It's been my favorite so far. (from OFS, OGD BIB, OWA, WT101, ETL, and EWSB.)

Going to take a handle of ERSB with me on vacation to try. Hopefully it'll keep me warm through the Utah weather!

Cheers!

:toast:

Ruby K
12-14-2009, 07:32
Just a quick note that Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr is not so cheap around these parts. (Southern California.) It'll run you the same price as a handle of WT101.

Cheers!

:toast:

Lone Ranger, i don't remember when this thread was started, but my guess is that it was in 08 or maybe even 07 when ORVW 10 year was much more affordable.

FWIW, Buffalo Trace has become my regular pour. I can get Astor Wine's barrel for 22 bucks and I don't mind spending that on the regular bottle.

Inthewater
01-14-2010, 11:51
This is a great list. It would make a great sticky, as newbies like me need somewhere to start.

:grin:

Going to see if I can find a few of these around town to give a go.

Thanks again.

Inthewater
03-03-2010, 09:42
(Bump)

Have now tasted ORVW 10yr and have a bottle of EWSB in my house.

Both great.

:) Thanks again for the list, it is a great place to start.

Sijan
09-14-2010, 07:46
I'm glad to see this list is still getting some use. I am not sure if it will ever be made a sticky, but we can always bump it up occasionally so that new folks will see it.

The list is almost 3 years old and it looks like it needs to be updated for price and availability. As several have noted, ORVW10/90 is sadly no longer available in the stated price range. Any other major changes needed?

Bourbon Boiler
09-14-2010, 17:53
I would argue for the inclusion of Bulleit on this list. It's inexpensive, adds another distillery, and has a unique flavor IMO. I wouldn't call it a world class bourbon, but I think it is unique enough that it could guide someone toward finding what they really like.