PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Mr Peanut
11-20-2007, 16:34
Hey guys, yup, its another newbie. I just stumbled on this site a few days ago and thought you guys might be able to help me track down a bottle. First I guess a little intro is in order. I live in the bourbon capital of the world, smack in the middle of Jim Beam, Makers, Evan Williams, its all right here at my back door. I typically like to drink either Makers or Beam 7 yr.
But other than a bourbon drinker, I also collect mainly Makers Mark bottles. I have managed over the past couple of years to get my hands on all of the Keenland series bottles, all 4 of the UK and UL bottles, 911 bottles, black and gold lable exports, and a few others. But there is one that still eludes me...the 99 Harley Davidson HOG bottle. I have missed it a few times on ebay, each time getting outbid by only a few dollars. Seeing as how rarely it shows up, I was wondering if any of you guys have or know where there is one for sale. Should any of you have any info, please let me know and maybe we can work something out.
Cheers and thanks
Todd

ACDetroit
11-20-2007, 21:43
Cheers Todd, and welcome. I just found a VIP bottle but no HOG bottle sorry. Good luck on your search, I hope you find what your looking for.

Tony

catdaddy
11-21-2007, 13:13
Hello, I'm new to this myself & I have also been collecting Maker's bottles for the past year or so. Last year at the distillary (2nd xmas weekend) I overheard people talking about different bottles & it amazed me how many of them had cases of collector bottles, I spoke with one gentleman & he claimed to have a case of every bottle ever produced! but did not not have any of the Harley bottles! I have seen a few on ebay go for around $200 - $400 !

Mr Peanut
11-25-2007, 13:12
I have seen a few sell on ebay, and you are right, the price is usually up there. I am prepared to pay quite a bit for it, but I do have my limits. I actually bid to almost $400 on the last one that sold, just couldnt make myself go over that. One will turn up one day.

AC Detroit, did you get the new VIP bottle? the gold wax ones are no longer made, the new ones are dipped in red and only available in Kentucky, I think.

ACDetroit
11-25-2007, 14:16
[quote=Mr Peanut;103190did you get the new VIP bottle? the gold wax ones are no longer made, the new ones are dipped in red and only available in Kentucky, I think.[/quote]

I have come across 3 Gold Wax VIP bottles in the past week. I have picked up 2 of them that were affordable. Some old man had one for $80 dollars, I asked him what was the deal with the gold box for so much, he said oh you can't find that bottle any more. I went up the road to the next store and picked it up for the normal price. I did not stop back and talk to him about it so good luck to him.

I have never seen a Harley bottle but do attend the Thuroughbred's and Red Heads event in the spring. They serve barrel proof Maker's at the distillery that day and you can hand dip a special labeled pint.

Good to meet the 2 of you!

Tony

catdaddy
11-25-2007, 14:35
This past summer someone on ebay had (2) hog bottles (1 auction) & I had bid something like $275 early in the bidding... a couple days later we closed on a new home & leave for Flordia the same day, for a week... I get home & the 2 went for something like $325! I don't know how they slipped past everyone? I have maybe seen 6 others on ebay in the past year or so & they have all been over $200... As for the new VIP bottle, very nice, it can be displayed with out having it personalized if you like, I bought a gold wax last year & had the lable made for our 10th anniversary. I remember last year at the xmas event I spoke with "Debbie" & she told me that the gold wax was discontinued, I guess it took a while to sell them off. ebay is getting hot this time of year with bottles but with that, the $$$ are high, I started getting serious collecting about this time last year & some people just don't care how much they bid, I watched about 10 bottles go to a lady & she didn't care about the $ I remember she paid $75 for a .375ml xmas bottle that I had bought the weekend before at the distillary for $17... HA! nice talkin guys & good luck!

barturtle
11-25-2007, 16:03
I think the new Red wax ones look better than the gold...

Mr Peanut
11-25-2007, 18:42
I like the new red wax VIP bottle better as well. I just recently got started collecting them myself and have bought about 25 or so bottles. I havent really gotten many excellent deals on any of them, but I have paid about average going price on them. The only exception will probably be the HOG bottlel, might end up having to pay more than I want for this one. I didnt realize at first how hard this one was to get. Thanks for all the input. This seems like a pretty decent place. Looking forward to looking at some of the other topics when I get time

Are any of you guys going to make it to the distillery for the Christmas tour this year. I will probably be headed down that way on Saturday
Todd

Old Lamplighter
11-26-2007, 17:44
I have come across 3 Gold Wax VIP bottles in the past week. I have picked up 2 of them that were affordable.

FWIW: Don't know how many of the VIP bottles you have bought, but, I have read here and heard in several places elsewhere that the only difference in MM and MM-VIP is the label, the wax and even more importantly - the price. Plenty of MM fans on here to correct me if that is wrong. I am not a huge MM fan, so I never have considered the VIP for my cabinet. Anyhow, as I said, just FWIW.....not trying to burst any bubbles.

ACDetroit
11-26-2007, 19:10
Thanks Lamplight! I bought them for a trade with a local dealer! I don't need them in my collection. If i want a Bourbon and coke the regular red wax MM works as good as any good mixer.

Tony

Mr Peanut
11-28-2007, 18:55
I believe you are right Lamplight. same ole bourbon, just a nicer bottle. I think the big thing with the VIP is the ability to personalize the bottle. other than that, no differences.
Todd