PDA

View Full Version : New from Northern KY/Cincy area

whiskydude
11-27-2007, 20:09
Hello all, new guy here. Got turned onto bourbon in 99 or so with MM and have expanded my horizons a bit in the past couple of years. Prior to that I was a jack and 7 dude. Just found the site the other night and was glad to see there is a place where like minded whisk(e)y people can gather. Lots and lots of info to read and hopefully retain. It is convenient to live in KY but you have to like horses, bourbon, and basketball....not necessarily in that order! Luckily, I have them covered. Cheers!

Dave

Jono
12-02-2007, 17:11
Hey there....funny the reference to Deano. Dean was really much more of a family man than many people realize....he was always home for supper and did not really live the truly wild life...compared to Frank Sinatra. Dean's drunk act really was an act....he basically nursed his drinks was not the huge drinker unlike Frank....and Lawford etc.

whiskydude
12-05-2007, 20:23
Yeah, that's what I've read also. He has a bit of a monolouge prior to a song on the album, where he basically says to the audience if he drank half as much as they thought he did, he'd be dead! Joe E Louis is the quote's author according to Dean on the album. Although he does reference it in the context that he and Joe were "swimming" in his den one night..... :rolleyes: It's actually pretty humorous. I know that he played that reputation up quite a bit unlike Frank and some of the others who really lived it. Thanks for the reply.

lovejones
12-05-2007, 20:35
Yeah, that's what I've read also. He has a bit of a monolouge prior to a song on the album, where he basically says to the audience if he drank half as much as they thought he did, he'd be dead! Joe E Louis is the quote's author according to Dean on the album. Although he does reference it in the context that he and Joe were "swimming" in his den one night..... :rolleyes: It's actually pretty humorous. I know that he played that reputation up quite a bit unlike Frank and some of the others who really lived it. Thanks for the reply.

You mean he was lying when he told Frank "These aren't cuff links, they're curb feelers"?

I moved to LA in 1992 and heard Dean would eat dinner every sunday at the Hamburger Hamlet on Doheny. I went there about 10 times over a few months and never saw him.

whiskydude
12-06-2007, 13:01
You mean he was lying when he told Frank "These aren't cuff links, they're curb feelers"?....

That's a good one too. Those guys were so cool. I mean, I can't think off hand of any group or person, m or f, that exudes a suave, sophisticated, and classy attititude like those guys did. Frank was a die hard JD man, but I ain't gonna hold it against him.