PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Drinking Tonight, Winter'07/'08

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

OscarV
12-26-2007, 13:11
Old Weller Antique 107
For medicinal purposes,...partly.
I'm sore as hell, I'll be glad when the Holidaze are over.

LarryG
12-26-2007, 13:22
Old Weller Antique 107 is what I'm planning to pour, too. I received -- unexpectedly -- a set of the Riedel/Target bourbon glasses for Christmas, and decided OW107 would be a worthy choice to break one of 'em in.

+1 on that Holidaze stuff.

Larry

Eggman
12-26-2007, 15:12
Howdy,

Tonight my nightcap will be a toss-up between WT101 and KC.

Eggman

Merlin_AZ
12-26-2007, 15:27
Technically, not "tonight" but I hope Monday was close enough.
I was over at my cousin's house and had some Redbreast before dinner, and an XO Cognac (if it's OK to say that on a whiskey board) that he picked up in France for after dinner. It's not sold here in the US. Great stuff--wasn't even sealed. It just had a cork stuffed into the top. He bubble wrapped it and carried it home in his carry-on luggage.
Both were quite good...

ACDetroit
12-26-2007, 15:30
Sippin some WT Old No 8. The cap was cracked so I had to check it out!! You never know it might have been bad :grin: . Good news though it's very nice, not the 8 year old I have in the basement but still very good. I think it might even make a great Bourbon & Coke (not tonight).

I will be having a pour of some WTAS with Mark on third shift! If anyone's interested?

Tony

SBOmarc
12-26-2007, 16:42
I will be out to dinner at a Flemming's Steak House, not sure of the bourbon compliment, but I will report.

Will partake on 3rd shift with Parker's Heritage.

NickAtMartinis
12-26-2007, 16:51
The third shift has flex hours :lol: but usually begins at 10PM EDT.

Hope to see you all there.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. Bring your drinking shoes. If you are by the beach then bring sandles. If you reside at a nudist colony (not sure what the protocol for footware is there) then bring what you've got, if anything at all.:slappin:

RedVette
12-26-2007, 18:28
Corner Creek. I have a love/hate with this pour. Tonight love is in the air.

Bailey
12-26-2007, 20:27
Started out with some lower end stuff. Ancient Age 80, and OGD86 (because I haden't tried either before). The nose on the AA reminds me quite a bit of BT but a lot less pronounced. Followed that up with my second pour from a Hirsch16 Gold Foil. Last night was my first pour of Hirsch and I couldn't stay away tonight. It is extremely smooth and doesn't have nearly as much oak as I expected for a 16yo. Glad I tried it but for the same money I picked up three FRSB last week and IMHO it is the best pour on earth - at least that's what I think this week - I'm sure next week I will forsake the FRSB for a new love. I can't wait.

bigtoys
12-26-2007, 20:35
a big splash of 2006 Stagg on the rocks--I'm trying to empty it to make room upstairs for the 2007.

NickAtMartinis
12-26-2007, 21:09
Tonight, Tony and myself threw back some WTAS. Very good stuff, I might add. After which, I poured myself some PVW15. Then, I decided to do a taste-test between the PVW 15 and 20.

Three times straight, I chose the 15 over the 20. The 15 has quite a bit more flavor. It's like the 20 has a hiccup of flavor and then it's gone - and, what flavor there is, is predominantly sweet. While the 15 is chock full of flavor, comparitively speaking.

Eggman
12-26-2007, 22:11
Howdy,

Had 2+ oz. of WT 101 in my Diet Coke. That WT101 hits me hard. Bed time for me.

Eggman

Gillman
12-27-2007, 07:15
I'm not there yet, but in a few hours, it will be a Sazerac: shot of Woodford Reserve from a pint bottle I brought from home, shot of the Spanish brandy I mentioned earlier, dash of the Spanish absinthe also mentioned earlier. The brandy is quite sweet so no sugar is needed. Bitters are optional anyway I think and won't be missed. I know this will be good!

Gary

Merlin_AZ
12-27-2007, 10:01
The third shift has flex hours :lol: but usually begins at 10PM EDT.

Hope to see you all there.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. Bring your drinking shoes. If you are by the beach then bring sandles. If you reside at a nudist colony (not sure what the protocol for footware is there) then bring what you've got, if anything at all.:slappin:
I'm sure you have to wear something on your feet. The sand can get very hot and your feet might get burned, among other things...

macon
12-27-2007, 10:02
ETL and finish with a GTS 06.

NickAtMartinis
12-27-2007, 14:41
I'm sure you have to wear something on your feet. The sand can get very hot and your feet might get burned, among other things...

:slappin::slappin::slappin::slappin:

Perhaps, a sock is needed! :D I bet that's a big drink at the Nudist Colony Bar & Grille. "Yes, I'd like to have a sock on the beach." :D

full_proof
12-27-2007, 16:59
OFBB2007. Not thrilled with my first two fingers, but I'm committed to working the bottle further past the neck. A little air, and time, and it might very well could turn out to be an enjoyable bottling.

scratchline
12-27-2007, 17:42
Started out with a WT 12 Manhattan and have moved on to a Willetts/Red Hook Rye Blinker cocktail. Both outstanding but since I'm drinking them out of a very special Christmas present, Steuben teardrop martini glasses circa 1940s-50s, they are elevated to the sublime. These are, no joke, the most beautiful cocktail glasses I have ever seen! And easily worthy of the amazing whiskey they contain.

-Mike

swampguy
12-27-2007, 17:48
I will finish the evening with a little Buffalo Trace.

SBOmarc
12-27-2007, 18:53
Flemings had Basil Hayden, Knob, WT 101, Woodford Reserve and not much else as far as whisky.

On the other hand, and extensive far reaching wine list. At least 40 to 50 of which were by the glass.

A defining Steak House experience. Pricey, and it didn't matter. Great food and drink along with great friends.

BTW, had Basil Hayden neat in a rocks glass extrodinaire. Reminds me of an older OGD 86.

SBOmarc
12-27-2007, 18:55
Tonight, Buffalo Trace and Saz Jr. If there is to be a third pour, it will be RHF.

Old Lamplighter
12-27-2007, 20:13
More of some of the best ever to cross my palate, VW Lot B. If there is to be a second tonite, the leading candidate at the moment is Wathen's, 2002. However, as nicely as this two fingers of Lot B is flowing at present, it might just call for a second.

NickAtMartinis
12-27-2007, 20:13
Some Turkeys, followed by some Delarium.

barturtle
12-27-2007, 20:50
Some Turkeys, followed by some Delarium.

Delirium Tremens or Nocturnum? I enjoy both, the Nocturnum usually in the colder months and the Tremens in the warmer seasons.

Luna56
12-27-2007, 20:51
EC12 for me tonight. This bottle is a little richer than I remember, but the finish is short and rather unexceptional. More of a "buh-bye" than the "peace out, bitch!" I get from my other favorite pours :cool:
Still, I'm liking it tonight. Beautiful here, lots of fresh snow on the trees, any old pour would be good right now.
Cheers!

felthove
12-27-2007, 22:00
Tonight I went with a Rittenhouse BIB manhattan (Noilly Prat)followed by samples of RR 1792, BH, and a big pour of BT. Finished with some PVW15 during a flick.

NickAtMartinis
12-28-2007, 07:45
Delirium Tremens or Nocturnum? I enjoy both, the Nocturnum usually in the colder months and the Tremens in the warmer seasons.

Timothy, I was wishing it was Nocturnum but it was Tremens instead. I couldn't even finish the bottle since it gave me major heartburn.

OscarV
12-28-2007, 12:59
Elijag Craig 12 yo,... it is Friday and I don't have to throw beer cases until Monday.
I am drinking straight from the bottle, BTW the lip on this is excellent for bottle sipping.

cas
12-28-2007, 13:44
Is this the 750 ml or the large bottle?
Craig

LarryG
12-28-2007, 13:57
Still two hours to go before I get into the liquor cabinet, but let's see ... I think I shall revisit the ERSB (90) and see if it strikes me any more favorably than it did the first time around.

Larry

OscarV
12-28-2007, 14:02
Is this the 750 ml or the large bottle?
Craig

OK,OK,OK,.... I am disfunctional white trash, the 750ml, just right for what ails ya.

shyster512
12-28-2007, 17:15
Four Roses Single Barrel. Instant love affair with this little jewell!

NickAtMartinis
12-28-2007, 20:23
I'm throwing back some PVW 15. Prior to, I had some '04 Old Fitz BIB.

TNbourbon
12-28-2007, 20:28
Four Roses Single Barrel. Instant love affair with this little jewel..!

This is an entirely common response.
As for me, I've had some Larue Weller '07 with diet cola, and Louisville, pre-'92, (TN) tax-stamped Old Charter 12 -- now defunct from everywhere! -- with ginger ale (diet, of course).
I might select a 'chaser' before I retire, or not. Still, good tastes for sweet dreams.

ggilbertva
12-28-2007, 20:35
Short pour of VOB BIB. I really like this bourbon as it's very robust and flavorful. This one surprised me for the price.

felthove
12-28-2007, 20:44
Since I bought some new stuff today had to do several pours. Tried the Very Special Old Fitz 12 followed by EWSB 10 and then OGB 114. Then tried the Old Forester 86 and had an Elmer T. Lee for good measure. Then threw down some cheap Old Fitz to try it (bland and sweet -- not pleased) and now doing some Rittenhouse BIB neat. Bed will come soon!

SBOmarc
12-28-2007, 20:55
[QUOTE=felthove;106719]Since I bought some new stuff today had to do several pours. Tried the Very Special Old Fitz 12 followed by EWSB 10 and then OGB 114. Then tried the Old Forester 86 and had an Elmer T. Lee for good measure. Then threw down some cheap Old Fitz to try it (bland and sweet -- not pleased) and now doing some Rittenhouse BIB neat. Bed will come soon![/QUOTE

I should hope...

bigtoys
12-28-2007, 22:06
Just about packed for Hawaii (Kona coast). Leaving tomorrow early.
Finishing off a glass of Four Roses Single Barrel. So thankful they came to Illinois.

ACDetroit
12-28-2007, 23:00
I guess here is as good a spot as any!! Just getting ready to pour me a quick Rebel Yell 1980' tax stamp found today. I walked in the door from hunting and Michelle my wife is finishing some things in the babies room! She comes into the kitchen picks up our almost 2 year old and quickly sets her back down. I hear my name being yelled as she runs to the bathroom.

Yep Water borke 6:20 p.m., arrived at the Hospital at 7:00 and Samantha was born at 9:01 (7.11oz. 20" with a full head of hair). Mom and Baby are both doing great and I am one proud father again. One drink and off to bed I need to take the oldest to the Dr. in the Morning and then get back the hospital to see our latest.

cheers!

Tony

HighTower
12-28-2007, 23:38
Tony Congratulations mate she is just gorgeous!!

I will have some Pappy 20 for you all tonight!

Cheers!!

Scott

Bailey
12-29-2007, 06:38
Nice work Tony. The impressive part, apart from Samantha's hair, is how quickly and efficiently you managed the process:lol: - 3 hours from start to finish.

Congrats and Cheers. I will throw back some WTKS in your honor after skiing.

Roger

NickAtMartinis
12-29-2007, 06:55
Congratulations, Tony, to you and your wife!!!! I have to say I knew it when I didn't see you here most, if not all, day and night yesterday!!!!

What a nice way to bring in the new year!!!!

I'll throw back some PVW 15 for you new one.

Regards,

Mark

TNbourbon
12-29-2007, 07:09
Miracles, aren't they?:cool:
Congrats, Tony. :toast:

Barrel_Proof
12-29-2007, 07:14
I am one proud father again.

Congratulations! Happy New Year, indeed!

smokinjoe
12-29-2007, 07:37
Congratulations, Tony. She's a beauty.

:toast:

JOE

Tennessee Dave
12-29-2007, 07:49
Contrats Tony. What a beauty:D

barturtle
12-29-2007, 07:51
Congrats Tony. I shall raise a glass to you this evening.

Gillman
12-29-2007, 07:59
All the best to you and your family, Tony.

Gary

OscarV
12-29-2007, 08:50
Congratulations Tony!

I just found the post and the pic.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Samantha is beautiful!

(and just in time for an '07 tax deduction):grin:

Rughi
12-29-2007, 09:10
Tony,
Congratulations on your little Future Bourbanite!

Samantha - Present and Accounted For!!!!

Roger

ACDetroit
12-29-2007, 09:33
This is all very humbling! The birth of a child and the great folks here and all your positive support!

Thank you to everyone with Happy New Year Wishes and all the best to you and yours!

Thank you again!

Tony, Michelle, Sarah and Samantha (the newest)

nor02lei
12-29-2007, 13:42
I guess here is as good a spot as any!! Just getting ready to pour me a quick Rebel Yell 1980' tax stamp found today. I walked in the door from hunting and Michelle my wife is finishing some things in the babies room! She comes into the kitchen picks up our almost 2 year old and quickly sets her back down. I hear my name being yelled as she runs to the bathroom.

Yep Water borke 6:20 p.m., arrived at the Hospital at 7:00 and Samantha was born at 9:01 (7.11oz. 20" with a full head of hair). Mom and Baby are both doing great and I am one proud father again. One drink and off to bed I need to take the oldest to the Dr. in the Morning and then get back the hospital to see our latest.

cheers!

Tony

Congratulations from Sweden Tony. Already lock alike her father. Especially the eyes.

Leif

gblick
12-29-2007, 14:13
Congratulations, Tony!

Special Reserve
12-29-2007, 14:17
Tony,

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

I'll have a little something for you tonight. Perhaps a Weller Centennial.

Good Luck with your second.

Will

Special Reserve
12-29-2007, 18:59
Well, it was Weller Centennial. I enjoyed its aromatic splendor with every breath for more than a half hour before enjoying the first sip. What a nose. Just 1 finger worth, tomorrow is a workday.

Will

Old Lamplighter
12-29-2007, 21:48
Tonite, killing 2 bottles, the Egg Nog and OGD/BIB.......going to miss the latter more than the former. Next up is undecided.....trying to choose between Lot B, OFBB 05, OC12 and my Wathen's 02. Maybe I'll try them all and wake up on Monday.

T47
12-30-2007, 08:57
My work group had a holiday dinner/house warming party last night. I brought a bottle of OGD 114 as a house warming gift. The host had a bottle of Fonbelle Bourbon in a Statue of Liberty shaped bottle. The box said it was bottled in Florida. It also said it was distilled in Louisville Kentucky at United Distillers. He picked it up in Frankfurt on the way home from a Military assignment. It was an 80 proofer, and I was not expecting much at all. I was pleasantly surprised to find it smooth with a nice flavor. Fairly sweet with a little spice. Nice little end of the year surprise. He opened the OGD 114 and it was very well received.

Kendall
12-30-2007, 12:10
Tony, Congrats to you and your wife! Looks like you are starting the year of right.
A toast of Russell's Reserve 101 to you!
:bowdown:

full_proof
12-30-2007, 17:30
What a lovely picture of a proud father and beautiful daughter, Tony! Some EW1783 followed by Anchor Anniversary Ale.

ggilbertva
12-30-2007, 18:12
Tonight was I was a little more indulgent than normal. Started with some early 80's Old Forester 86 proof. Moved on to Binny's Weller 12 year, '05 WLW and then some '06 WLW. The '05 WLW was funky when first opened but now that it's had time to breath, it's turned rather nicely.

Hog Ben
12-30-2007, 18:54
Tony my friend, CONGRATULATIONS to you and Michelle. A little slow in getting the news. Spent all day Friday and Saturday at a H. S. wrestling tournament. Was putting away some Weller SR tonight but after this great news I'll switch to some BTAC WLW and toast to Sara's new sister. Have a great new year and I'll see you soon.

Hank

luv2hunt
12-30-2007, 19:30
Congrats Tony!! Jon and I have two girls. They will both forever and always be "Daddy's girls"! I decided to toast you with a bottle of WT Tradition that I happen to have open here....only because I know you found some recently and to be quite honest....I don't remember what it tastes like!! Hope she's a good sleeper!!!

Dawn

Luna56
12-30-2007, 20:04
Congratulations, Tony, just got the news here myself. So happy to hear the little one is healthy and doing well, you must be so proud.
I drink a toast to you tonight. Cheers!!!!

PS- Hoisting up an Oban 14 to you now. Here's to ya.

HipFlask
01-01-2008, 07:31
Congrats Tony. And she waited until you got back from hunting before she came into the world. I'll have a specail pour tonight in her honor.

Rake
01-02-2008, 00:45
I finally cracked open my bottle of Wild Turkey 8 year old, distilled in '83. A revelation. Beautiful color and very sweet, burnt sugar and spice and maybe a little citrus. Wow.

I might have to go back and get the other couple bottles.

Gillman
01-02-2008, 15:59
Tonight, just returned from my Spanish sojourn, I've decided to focus on American whiskey: but not just one. So I've got a base of Pappy 15 with additions of OF 100, WR and Rittenhouse rye. Once I got the whiskey base right, I made further additions: Peychaud's bitters, Fees oak barrel ditto and a scant teaspoon brown sugar. Shake that thing. Then, two ice cubes and a good splash of bubbly bottled spring water.

I call it the Welcome Home and it's great.

Great

Gillman
01-02-2008, 16:04
Sorry, I forgot to mention an ingredient I had added: some Spanish absinthe, which lends a lightly minty, anise note. So this is really a Sazerac cocktail. In fact any anise-based drink would do for the final flourish.

Gary

Luna56
01-02-2008, 19:19
Four Roses Single Barrel tonight. Started off with a scotch before dinner, small pour of Oban 14. Now the temperature's 4º and falling. The FRSB's proof is taking the chill off nicely.
Cheers!

Old Lamplighter
01-02-2008, 19:32
Not quite reached the single digits here, but going into the teens sometime before dawn. Once it goes below 20, all the same to me. To keep warm, starting with OC12 and then to ERSB or OFBB05.....and, if it gets colder faster than expected, we'll have to take a hard look towards that Stagg in the back of the cabinet.

NickAtMartinis
01-02-2008, 19:44
First, I threw back some mushrooms and stuffed peppers basking in EWSB 1997, then a turkey sandwich soaked in WTRB with a side of homemade pickles soaked in PVW20. I followed that with an Old Fitz-lathered chocolate-on-chocolate cake. To finish, a nice big glass of.............Guinness!:bigeyes::lol:

ILLfarmboy
01-02-2008, 19:50
I had a couple snifters of '06 ER 17. First one with a couple pan fried pork chops and creamed spinach, a bit later while watching TV another with a few Hershey's "cherry" flavored kisses.

Luna56
01-02-2008, 19:54
First, I threw back some mushrooms and stuffed peppers basking in EWSB 1997, then a turkey sandwich soaked in WTRB with a side of homemade pickles soaked in PVW20. I followed that with a Old Fitz-lathered chocolate-on-chocolate cake. To finish, a nice big glass of.............Guinness!:bigeyes::lol:
Nick, my man, why not just throw all that stuff into a blender! Throw in some vermouth and you've got a high protein Manhattan. :cool:
I like to finish off sauteed mushrooms with a little splash of bourbon and a small dash of teriyaki sauce. Never tried the besotted turkey sandwich, it sounds quite beguiling! I can imagine a Guinness going well with a hearty meal like that, excellent choice. Now I'm hungry again.
Cheers!

mgilbertva
01-02-2008, 20:40
Some early 80s Harper Gold. Very nice. On the sweet side with nothing unpleasant or harsh at all. Decent finish and mouthfeel.

NickAtMartinis
01-02-2008, 20:44
Nick, my man, why not just throw all that stuff into a blender! Throw in some vermouth and you've got a high protein Manhattan. :cool:
I like to finish off sauteed mushrooms with a little splash of bourbon and a small dash of teriyaki sauce. Never tried the besotted turkey sandwich, it sounds quite beguiling! I can imagine a Guinness going well with a hearty meal like that, excellent choice. Now I'm hungry again.
Cheers!

Of course, I was just joking. But, sans the sandwich, I could certainly imagine ingesting and digesting the rest of the menu I mentioned.

Luna, by the way, where have you been? I called you out some 4-5 nights ago but you did not respond. To coin a phrase already coined, where you at?!

Mark

NickAtMartinis
01-02-2008, 20:47
What I'm really drinking and have drunk: WTAS, '06 Stagg, PVW 15 and now some WTKS.

Wow, I couldn't remember what was currently in my raised hand. Not the first time, my freinds! Anyway, I figured it out.:grin:

NickAtMartinis
01-02-2008, 20:49
I like to finish off sauteed mushrooms with a little splash of bourbon and a small dash of teriyaki sauce.!

For New Year's Eve, I sauteed up some mushrooms with butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder. It was very good. I could see tossing some bourbon and terriyake sauce on top woth some homemade bread crumbs to boot.

Luna56
01-02-2008, 20:51
Of course, I was just joking. But, sans the sandwich, I could certainly imagine ingesting and digesting the rest of the menu I mentioned.

Luna, by the way, where have you been? I called you out some 4-5 nights ago but you did not respond. To coin a phrase already coined, where you at?!

Mark

Sorry I missed you. I don't have Flash on this computer so I can't access the chat until I get back in the house. I may bring the laptop out here, though, if you're up for a chat later. We'll be drinkin' mash, talkin' trash.
Cheers!

HighTower
01-03-2008, 02:28
What I'm really drinking and have drunk: WTAS, WTKS.

Mark,
I would be interested in your comparison of these 2 bottlings. I tackled them both on NYE, and I found them to be very similar, could be due to the other drinks I had beforehand, but I dunno.......may have to do it again!

Cheers
Scott

fog
01-03-2008, 09:10
Evan Williams Black.

I posted earlier that I was disappointed by this bourbon, but it seems to be growing on me.

LarryG
01-03-2008, 11:12
Last night it was WT101, my benchmark bourbon (can't really call it my "daily pour" as I literally have something different every time).

Sidebar to Fog: my palate isn't as sophisticated as many of the SB.com regulars, but I too was pleasantly surprised by EW Black -- especially considering how inexpensive it is (eleven bucks for a 750, here). I've only had the one bottle, but I'll buy it again, someday.

Larry

OscarV
01-03-2008, 12:09
Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107.

It is starting to warm me up now.
It started out 4 below zero this morning and got all the way up to 17 now.

NickAtMartinis
01-03-2008, 17:15
Mark,
I would be interested in your comparison of these 2 bottlings. I tackled them both on NYE, and I found them to be very similar, could be due to the other drinks I had beforehand, but I dunno.......may have to do it again!

Cheers
Scott

Scott, funny you should ask. I did a blind tasting that included WTRB, WTKS and WTAS. I sampled each three times. Two of the three times I chose WTKS and the other time, WTRB. That's not the interesting part. What is, is the fact that WTAS came in last all three times! I was pretty shocked.

Mark

squire
01-03-2008, 17:43
Switched from EC 18 to a manhatten made with Saz Rye.

Squire

Gillman
01-03-2008, 18:13
VWFR rye.

Whatever the iteration, this one rarely disappoints.

This bottling is dryish, elegant with a good residual sweetness.

Kudos to the shop.

Gary

Kendall
01-03-2008, 18:20
Very cold here in central Ky.
A GOOD NIP OF Old Grand Dad 114 hit the spot.:hot:

NickAtMartinis
01-03-2008, 18:52
I just poured me some '07 WLW. Don't know what from here but I'm sure I'll figure something out.:lol:

bigtoys
01-04-2008, 00:19
Went into an ABC store in Kona. My choice of American whiskey: Jack or Jim. Johnny red or black were there for Scotland. Crown and Chivas were also on the shelves.

I went with Jack and am enjoying it now on the rocks sitting on my balcony overlooking the Big Island with the mountains far off in the distance. Only a couple of more days and then back to the frigid Chicago temps.

Frodo
01-04-2008, 03:04
Over the past holidays I've had the good fortune to get some samples from Gary Gillman that I could not have obtained from our local liquor stores.

Four Roses SB (50.2%)
Nose: Dark & sweet. Furnature polish, blood oranges & cloves.
Taste: Good balance between sweet & dry. With water, dry becomes magnified, then ebbs & flows.
Aftertaste: Tingles on palate. Drying like tea leaves. With water finish becomes longer, drier.
Impression: Beutiful in its simplicity. BALANCED! Able to drink this at full STR (usually have to water down spirits over 46%).

Hallmark of St James vatted malt 25yr (Scotch)
Nose: Stewed apples & pears. Nutmeg.
Taste: Follows through with the nose. More spice with some hotness. Reminds me of Cutty Sark 25yr.
Aftertaste: Spice comes to the fore. Finish is powerful.
Impressions: Fruitier at the start/ spicier at the finish.

Frodo
01-04-2008, 03:12
Old Weller Antique 107 Single Barrel Unfiltered (Bernheim)
Nose: Expressive - dark fruits with oak notes complementing. Becomes more expressive with water.
Taste: Oak & spices. Drier with water.
Finish: Long finish, then tapers gracefully. Less intence with water, and a bit drier.
Impressions: LOVED this one!!!A beutiful dram on its own, and can take water without tasting diluted. The highest I've ever been able to drink alcohol (107 proof). A dram for the ages - thanks Gary!!!

Also opened my bottle of EC 18 than family muled up from SoCal. The driest bourbon I've had by a wide margin. LOVE it, but am still trying to come to terms with it. Will post notes in the BOTM thread!

The more I try good bourbon, the more I lament our lack of choices up here in Toronto. It's almost criminal...

Gillman
01-04-2008, 04:25
This is a chance to mention that Chris (Frodo) kindly gave me samples in return, a 1960's Park Lane was very Canadian in style but heavier and more caramel-like than often found today. His Lagavulin 12 was a vigorous expression of pure Islay character and quite different to the 16 year old version. Finally, a blended scotch finished in a rum barrel showed interesting oily-like notes from the finishing treatment.

We'll try to bring back different bourbons after the February trip to Doug's if I can get down there as currently planned.

Gary

ggilbertva
01-04-2008, 17:59
I've had a cold the last couple of days so haven't indulged in much bourbon. Tonight I'm feeling better so I pulled out my '06 WLW and cut it to about 100 proof.

Martian
01-04-2008, 18:37
My first sip of WTRB tonight. Very good stuff. It's right up there with McKenna BIB S1B. I'll be buying another bottle.

Old Lamplighter
01-05-2008, 00:05
For a chilly evening/morning, a spicy warm start with the 2005 edition of VWFRR ("G") followed by a smooth nightcap of OFBB of same year.......will sleep good tonight.

polyamnesia
01-05-2008, 20:15
my own odd vatting that works quite well (so far!):

WT rye/Eagle Rare 10 SB/WLWeller Special Reserve (from the 80's)

though equally blended in thirds, the WT rye asserted itself amid the sweet WLW wheat and the ER 10...! anyways, yum...

full_proof
01-05-2008, 21:20
WTRB followed by a shot of Ridgemont Reserve 1792

TBoner
01-05-2008, 22:08
I like 1792...different to any other bourbon, and a welcome change from time to time.

Had some WT12 with a bowl of pipe tobacco. Then WT 101 at a bar (damn good!). Now going to have some Bowmore 15 Mariner (now discontinued) to close the evening.

fogfrog
01-06-2008, 11:59
Well its afternoon, but I am drinking Evan Williams White Label (Bottled in Bond) and I really like it! Its not expensive either.

Flatlander
01-06-2008, 14:38
Sazerac Rye. mmmmmmm

Solomon2
01-06-2008, 18:02
Yes, 1792 is different because it doesn't have the "burn" the others do, and it feels different in the mouth. The downsides are that it doesn't have all the flavor I expect, plus it's so smooth it's tempting to just keep drinking more and more of it.

Tonight is two shots of Old Forester 80 followed by Sam Adams Light: I gotta get up early tomorrow. And I want to finish the SA Light I have because the SA White Ale is going to be on sale real soon and I have to stock up - by early April they'll be out of the stuff for the rest of '08.

ILLfarmboy
01-06-2008, 18:17
Last night I opened a fresh bottle of Booker's; 8yrs 2mo batch no C97-A-31 This one has been in the back of the hutch for some time. It is better than the last bottle I opened some time ago. That one got consumed over the holidays with the help of various guests.:skep:

Earlier tonight we went out for an early supper; a belated birthday celebration. Janean just turned the same age as Jack Benny:grin:. And apparently, like he was, she's determined to stay that age from now on.:grin: Anyhow, we had a nice meal complete with a bottle of Beringer 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon, Knights Valley. I suppose to any true wine connoisseur it is quite pedestrian but we enjoyed it.

TNbourbon
01-06-2008, 18:22
...I suppose to any true wine connoisseur it is quite pedestrian but we enjoyed it.

The fact is, from many parts of the world -- not less, California -- very fine wine has become quite pedestrian. Bad wine has become the exception.
It's a good thing!

NickAtMartinis
01-06-2008, 18:28
I'm going to throw back a bourbon or two and then head for some Belgians. Which ones? I don't know.

SBOmarc
01-06-2008, 21:28
Abstaining, still.

bigtoys
01-06-2008, 22:56
Back home after spending the night on a plane. Fininshing off some Pappy 15. It's good to be home and not have to look at bright blue Hawaiian drinks, although I did enjoy some good Mai Tais to get in the tropical mood.

Frodo
01-07-2008, 01:12
This is a chance to mention that Chris (Frodo) kindly gave me samples in return, a 1960's Park Lane was very Canadian in style but heavier and more caramel-like than often found today.

Interesting that to my eye, the color doesn't give the appearance of caramel being added. The most pale color I've seen in quite a while.

Gillman
01-07-2008, 02:55
I think the taste was probably from the barrels used.

Gary

felthove
01-07-2008, 06:41
Last night had a Baker's, a Pappy 15, and OGD BIB and an EWSB. Feeling slightly groggy this morning. Should have stopped with the Pappy.

Gillman
01-07-2008, 15:50
A vatting of Pappy 15 (current bottling), Bulleit, Weller 107 and OF 100.

There might be some Four Roses Barrel Strength in there too.

It is a very aromatic, well-blended combination, there is some astringency from the eldest whiskey in it but balanced by the younger ones added. Very potent. Quite soft and smooth on the palate.

(In the background I am playing a Mamas and Papas CD. Listening to Dream a Little Dream of Me (basically a solo performance by the late, mucho-talented Cass Elliot). I think the opening guitar passage must have inspired Paul McCartney's opening to Blackbird. The first four notes on each sound identical to me. The jazzy guitar on the Mamas and Papas tune goes in a different direction than on the Beatles cut but the first four guitar notes sound the same to me on both).

Gary

TNbourbon
01-07-2008, 16:39
Well, emptied a bottle of 2006 Stagg by pouring the remains into my current 2007 Stagg. Yes, I know, some will see that as sacrilege, but I disagree -- especially since I think the increasing price and (I think) the receding (or, at best, stagnant) taste quality of Stagg has rendered it much less desireable than it once was.
Anyway, I have long since ceased to be one of those who insists on drinking Stagg without dilution. In fact, I think that's blinding oneself to those taste qualities it does have. Thus, I poured my 'Gillmanized' Stagg underneath a fair amount of diet Bubba cola (the Sav-a-Lot store brand!), and I enjoy it just fine that way. Sure, I tasted it neat first -- and discern a lot more flavor along with the cola, which is much improved by the whiskey:grin:.

ILLfarmboy
01-07-2008, 17:04
Tim, your putting Stagg in soda and not caring what anyone thinks, reminds me of a line out of a movie. Apparently, the main character had an addiction to porn and when asked about it he replied: Hell, I've gone so far, I'm way beyond porn, I've come full circle, I'm back to looking at the underwear ads in the Sears and Roebuck catalog.

Edited to add: I apologize if that's too crude

jburlowski
01-07-2008, 17:52
I stuck here in Atlanta, on business for the week. I seem to be surrounded by the usual suspects: JBW, MM, Beam small batch, etc.... (Although, amazingly, Jefferson's seems to be available everywhere I go.)

I've been going to WT RR as the best available choice and I've rediscovered this very, very fine pour. True, It's not the old 101 version, but as Chuck has pointed out, it's a damn good bourbon in its own right.

bigtoys
01-07-2008, 18:22
Watching the BCS OSU v LSU game. Being a Michigan alum, it's hard to know who to root for--Big 10 or not Ohio State. It's a good game. OSU just dropped a pass in the endzone, so sad--I think. And my uncle graduated LSU. And my mom grew up in New Orleans. It's LSU for me, I guess.

As an aside, wathcing the game on a 40 inch W series Sony LCD TV--awesome picture. For anyone considering a high def TV, I'd recommend this or the Bravia XBR (I've got a 52 inch in the basement).

More to the point, the first quarter bourbon break is van Winkle Lot B.

ggilbertva
01-07-2008, 18:52
Earlier this evening I finished off my Fighting Cock 103 with some DC. I had opened an early 80's Old Taylor 86 proof some time ago (375ml) and didn't like it so I wanted to revisit this bourbon. It's cleaned up some and I like it better. I then took a small splash of a mid 80's Cabin Still...SW era bourbon and not too bad, and then a larger pour of VSOF 12 year. It's good to have choices.

NickAtMartinis
01-07-2008, 19:11
'07 Wlw

shyster512
01-07-2008, 19:12
I, too, am watching the OSU/LSU game with a bottle of 15 Yr old Pappy and I too will tell you that its really magnifies the watchablity of the game. GO PAPPY!

felthove
01-07-2008, 20:15
Abstaining tonight. Have a pour for me!

Old Lamplighter
01-07-2008, 20:18
Watching game with Van Winkle as well, Rye that is.........Geaux Tigers!!!!

bigtoys
01-07-2008, 20:43
Well, with 1:50 to go and LSU up 38-17, it's some 2006 Stagg, a bottle I'm trying to finish off to make room upstairs for a 2007. That should help me sleep as it's back to work tomorrow.

Guess there'll be some bourbon drinking on Bourbon St. tonight!

Congrats to LSU!! The first two-time champion in the BCS era.

NickAtMartinis
01-07-2008, 21:04
Additionally:

WTKS
'07 ER
Just poured a current bottling of ORVW 10/107

Question: Is the ORVW 10/107 Bernheim or BT barrels?

OscarV
01-08-2008, 12:12
Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 yo Lot "B"

If I were to ever make the desert Cherries Jubilee I'd substitute the Grand Marnier with the Lot B.

fogfrog
01-08-2008, 16:43
Evan Williams Black. . . I didn'thave much choice... I am having this with a little water from the Britta filter and its pretty good like this.

HipFlask
01-08-2008, 17:18
I am enjoying my first ever bottle of ER 10yr SB 90. This is a nice little pour for the $20 I paid for it I can only imagine how good the 101 is/was. It's good enough that I will pick up some of the BTAC ER in the near future. I was going pass on this one because of the low proof for the money. But that would clearly be a mistake. A nice pour to go along with some Van Morrison- Tupelo Honey.

NYtaster
01-08-2008, 17:39
Tonight I am drinking from my latest bottle of Stagg. I'm not particuarly enamormed with this bottling, there doesn't seem to be the depth that I am used to for a Stagg bottling, its hot (144 proof) but doesn't seem to have the flavors I have found in past issues.

Although after the last 7 days on the job there is definatly something to be said for a good stiff drink (or 3)!!!!!!

ILLfarmboy
01-08-2008, 20:48
WT RB......We had tacos for supper and my heartburn is back despite taking a Zantac. I may poor it back into the bottle or cover the glass and finish it tomorrow.

Old Lamplighter
01-08-2008, 21:27
VWFRR followed by WLW 06 to warm up a bit on a chilly night. I would add Rittenhouse BIB to the lineup but I have hid the bottle from myself. I may have to pick up another one if it doesn't turn up in the next day or two. What little rye I do own at present is beginning to grow a bit fond of my company here of late.

ACDetroit
01-08-2008, 21:43
I had opened an early 80's Old Taylor 86 proof some time ago (375ml) and didn't like it so I wanted to revisit this bourbon. It's cleaned up some and I like it better.

Hey Greg just wondering what of the early 80's Old Taylor you did not like? I found 2 today from 83' and opened one to compare to you note. Although it has a short to medium finish I thought it was pretty good for $9 bucks. The nose has a sweet cheery and vanilla to it. I get a little burn at first but the sweet cherry vanilla comes back with a little nugat with very light oak at the very end.

Just wanted you thoughts! and what is better now?

Tony

whiskeyhatch
01-09-2008, 01:21
Benchmark. Paired with Carl Sagan. Wow, man!!

StraightBoston
01-09-2008, 09:11
[Well, last night...]

1968 Old Taylor (from a recently-purchased castle decanter), followed by:

2003 (Spring 1990) Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, followed by:

1968 Old Fitzgerald BIB (from the Sons of Erin decanter)

All delightful -- surprisingly Old Taylor won the battle in this particular order!

full_proof
01-09-2008, 19:29
* * * I can only imagine how good the 101 is/was. It's good enough that I will...* * *

The 90 is good, and can be found at a bargain price in my area(s). The 101 is far better, IMO. But I've been bunkering ER101 considerably over the past year in anticipation of its loss.

Tonight, I'm enjoying BT followed by VWFRR.

NickAtMartinis
01-09-2008, 19:33
First, some ORVW 10/107 blended with '07 WLW. Currently, equal parts '07 Stagg and '07 ER with a spit of water.

SSBourbon1
01-09-2008, 19:37
The final pour of my Weller 19 was had tonight. been saving it for some reason and really enjoyed it...sorry to see that it is gone and can't get any more, but will have the memories...

Gillman
01-09-2008, 19:53
Didn't get to the Veuve yet (later this week) but sampled some Rittenhouse 10 years old (just a little, got to save it for the study session upcoming) and a bit of my bourbon vatting mentioned earlier based on Pappy 15. The vatting was very good and the Rittenhouse quite different, more vigorous and heady.

Gary

whiskeyhatch
01-09-2008, 19:53
Louisville Yellowstone 86 proof with a 92 on the bottom of the bottle. Absolutely wonderful and only $11 for a liter! Too bad it ain't around anymore.

felthove
01-09-2008, 20:07
Had a Saz cocktail made with (of all things!) JTS Brown BIB bourbon, a pour of Blanton's, a Booker's, a Pappy 15, and finally a OGD BIB.

ACDetroit
01-09-2008, 20:33
Just straightening the basement up for visitors on Friday and took another drink of the 83' Old Taylor (375ml) then went for some GD old No.8 and founf out what everyone means by vitamin taste! (Flintstone's Chewables at it's finest). Now a pour of BT While I RIP some of my CD's!

Cheers!
Tony

Markoturbo
01-09-2008, 21:16
:cool: Love weller 107 but it's PVW20 tonight

ggilbertva
01-09-2008, 21:17
Hey Greg just wondering what of the early 80's Old Taylor you did not like? I found 2 today from 83' and opened one to compare to you note. Although it has a short to medium finish I thought it was pretty good for $9 bucks. The nose has a sweet cheery and vanilla to it. I get a little burn at first but the sweet cherry vanilla comes back with a little nugat with very light oak at the very end.

Just wanted you thoughts! and what is better now?

Tony

Tony,

Memory is a little foggy but I picked up some funk when I first opened it and it didn't set well with me. It very well could have been something I ate or even my mood....who knows. While I had a small splash the other night, it appeared to be good but I need to have a larger dose to make a determination. I have 2 1.75L that were distilled in '75 and bottled '81, and I want to make sure I like this particular bourbon before opening the larger bottles. I had the same reaction to an '05 WLW recently (Brad can testify). Definite off notes when first opened but after sitting for better than a month, it's mellowed out and is drinkable.

ggilbertva
01-09-2008, 21:22
Louisville Yellowstone 86 proof with a 92 on the bottom of the bottle. Absolutely wonderful and only $11 for a liter! Too bad it ain't around anymore.

hmmm....I have a single bottle of Yellowstone 86 proof dated '76. I've been eyeballing it lately and am curious about this one. What's it like? Any tasting notes you can share?

ggilbertva
01-09-2008, 21:24
Tonight I enjoyed some early 80's Old Forester 86 proof.

ACDetroit
01-09-2008, 21:57
That's funny Greg I have that same 1.75L and have not opened it either. If the 375ml bottle is not what I'm looking for the 1.75L's get sent to Charles! If you know what I mean. Seems I should keep one anyway.

HipFlask
01-10-2008, 13:59
Well I am trying this stuff called Single Malt Scotch. A Islay called Bowmore. Plenty of Peat that is for sure. I guess I'll have to pickup a Highland now just for experimentation purposes. Whisky is Whiskey but Bourbon is BOURBON if you catch my drift.

full_proof
01-10-2008, 18:45
WTRB (a soon-to-be empty that will be replenished tomorrow) followed by Weller Antique 107. I find myself turning to the 45+ ABV in my collection more often than the lower proofs as the nose, flavor and finishes are superior, IMO.

whiskeyhatch
01-10-2008, 18:50
hmmm....I have a single bottle of Yellowstone 86 proof dated '76. I've been eyeballing it lately and am curious about this one. What's it like? Any tasting notes you can share?

Cool, now I have an excuse to pour another glass this evening.

-Nose is a bit sharp but rich and sweet. I wouldn't say brown sugar, more like demerara. A little bit of mustiness. I also get a slight hint of char.
-Palate is not as sharp as the nose. Buttery rich and nicely aged. No prima donnas here. Corn, rye and oak blend perfectly before folding into an anise-like finale.
-Finish is about medium in length. The anise/char flavor fades after about 15-20 seconds.

Hope this helps and I hope your bottle is this good or better. I'm sure that the $10.69 pricetag on the bottle has been there a while. But I've never paid that little for something so good.

Markoturbo
01-10-2008, 20:46
Started with WL Weller 7 90, went to Weller 107, finishing with VW lot B:cool:

bigtoys
01-10-2008, 20:52
BTEC Chardonnay barrel aged 8 yrs after 10 yrs in new oak. Ran into it accidentally, but apparently it's quite rare.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/BTECbottle3.jpg

Broke (well, not literally) out the Reidel glass for this one.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/BTECglass-1.jpg

Have to conserve it for friends, so I'm now sipping some Pappy 20 with some milk chocolate from the Fudge Pot on Wells St. in Old Town.

I'm off work tomorrow, so I may not be done yet. Cheers!

ILLfarmboy
01-11-2008, 18:55
WT RB I tried to enjoy a glass a couple days ago but recurrent heartburn made that impossible.

ggilbertva
01-11-2008, 20:43
That's funny Greg I have that same 1.75L and have not opened it either. If the 375ml bottle is not what I'm looking for the 1.75L's get sent to Charles! If you know what I mean. Seems I should keep one anyway.

I know Charles certainly uses those older bottles for a good purpose. I would however, give it a chance. For instance, I've whined in a number of threads that I have not liked the Hirsch 16 year. Well, after the bottle has sat for about a year, opened, I pulled it out the other day and had a small pour just to test it again. For whatever reason this time it was pleasant and I liked it. As you know, if you hit upon a bourbon that doesn't sit well the first time out of the bottle.....give it time as some bourbons definitely get better after opening.

ggilbertva
01-11-2008, 20:45
Cool, now I have an excuse to pour another glass this evening.

-Nose is a bit sharp but rich and sweet. I wouldn't say brown sugar, more like demerara. A little bit of mustiness. I also get a slight hint of char.
-Palate is not as sharp as the nose. Buttery rich and nicely aged. No prima donnas here. Corn, rye and oak blend perfectly before folding into an anise-like finale.
-Finish is about medium in length. The anise/char flavor fades after about 15-20 seconds.

Hope this helps and I hope your bottle is this good or better. I'm sure that the $10.69 pricetag on the bottle has been there a while. But I've never paid that little for something so good.

Arrghhh...now I want to pop open that bottle....blast your tasting notes! Just kidding....thanks for the notes. I'll compare when I decide to open mine up.

bigtoys
01-11-2008, 21:48
Hipflask:
Bowmore is one of my favorites. If you like the peaty, you may also like Talisker (from Isle of Skye), which is "smoky". For a general single malt, try Balvenie Doublewood (probably my favorite for a Highland/Speyside single malt and very reasonably priced), Highland Park (Orkney Island) or Oban (Highland). Macallans, such as the Fine Oak, are also quite good.

OscarV
01-12-2008, 06:31
actually last night,...

Wild Turkey Tradition, over at Tony's AKA ACDetroit yet another bomb bourbon was discovered for the first time on the East Side.
I think this could be the best Turkey I ever had.

Also in attendance was John AKA Firefly and Jeremy AKA Dr. Francois.
There's a few more of you Michiganders out there, the Bourbon Hounds will track you down.

ACDetroit
01-12-2008, 18:31
As Oscar said we had a small Michigan SB.com group get together last night! It was great, Oscar brought his Lot "B" and it was out of this world. His Cherries comment he posted earlier on this one was dead on (wow was that nice), thank you Oscar! Dr. Francois (Jeremy) well he hooked me up with some micro brews from his trip home to CO, thank you Jeremy! Let me know what your wife thought of the bunker pic's! and late but not least Firefly, John who has a crazy work schedule right now cleared with both bosses work and home and made the trip from Lansing! John thank you for making it as well and the gift! We drank a little of a lot! big Turkey night with the Tradition getting raves over the WTAS, WTKS 96', WTRB 99' we did not try it against the 8 yr old or 12 on the bar. But the Tradition was stellar! and for that, and this small group we're developing I toast you guys with some Tradition tonight!

Thanks to all who made it and all that PM having plans, you were missed! There's always next time!!

Cheers!
Tony

Old Lamplighter
01-12-2008, 20:42
So far, staying on the Rye side of life again tonite.....RRR and VWFRR. If time allows and fatigue stays away, I may take the opportunity to break open the BMH 18 Rye I found today.

bigtoys
01-12-2008, 22:13
Well, maybe only 2-3 oz. or so of each, but quite a variety.
4R Single Barrel, 4R Small Batch, 4R Yellow, Macallan Cask Strength (114 proof), Balvenie Portwood.

Dr. François
01-12-2008, 22:25
Tony,
It was a great night! I look forward to many more in the future.

Tonight I got into the Mcafee's Benchmark from BT. I have to say, it's damn fine for an 11 buck bourbon. Go get yourself a replacement bottle and see if you agree.

I also need to reprimand you. That Stagg and Saz you let me try has pretty much ruined me for life. Everything else tastes tame and docile by comparison. Thank you...thank you so much.

Empty_One
01-12-2008, 23:38
Tonight I had my very first Manhattan (Well, 3 actually), made witrh 3 shotsRittenhouse, 1 shot M&R Rosa, and bitters, with a cherry. Very tasty, and I may have found my next dangerous drink.

Mamba
01-13-2008, 02:10
Warmed up with a half pour of Compass Box Asyla. Next was some RHF, then Pappy 15, then WLW 06. Wanted to end on something special :shocked:, so I opened the Parker Heritage 122.6 that I swore I'd wait on. An extremely interesting bottle that others have already written good notes on. Different than anything I own, which is what I was hoping for when I bought it. First bourbon I've ever detected chocolate in, yummy :cool: Two thumbs up to Heaven Hill.

Life is good when there's this much good whiskey in my home :grin:

jburlowski
01-13-2008, 10:03
Yesterday it was Lot B while watching the Packers win!:cool:

ACDetroit
01-13-2008, 11:13
Tony,
It was a great night! I look forward to many more in the future.

Tonight I got into the Mcafee's Benchmark from BT. I have to say, it's damn fine for an 11 buck bourbon. Go get yourself a replacement bottle and see if you agree.

I also need to reprimand you. That Stagg and Saz you let me try has pretty much ruined me for life. Everything else tastes tame and docile by comparison. Thank you...thank you so much.

Sincerely, the pleasure was all mine I really enjoy have like minded people at my bar to share in my finds. Sure it's nice to be able to go down grab what you want and have a pour now and then. To be able to share those finds with great company is what it's all about!

My condolences on the tame/docile bottles on your bar! :slappin: Give it a week or so and they'll be right back to where they were before that 05' KY release Stagg reeked havoc on you taste buds!

Have not yet jumped into the Beer but maybe one tonight while I sip on some ORVW 10/107!

Cheers!
Tony

Old Lamplighter
01-13-2008, 11:34
So far, staying on the Rye side of life again tonite.....RRR and VWFRR. If time allows and fatigue stays away, I may take the opportunity to break open the BMH 18 Rye I found today.

My evening was extended due to a broken cork on my open bottle of Wathen's. By the time I got it out, contents strained and then decanted into another bottle......well, it called for a generous pour of same. Followed that with Ezra B 15 and ERSB.....it was a late one but productive and worthwhile!

RedVette
01-13-2008, 17:46
Saz 18, nuff said.

Markoturbo
01-13-2008, 18:23
Started with weller 7 90, lot B PVW20, then to the 107's with weller 7 107 ORVW 10 107, and finish with PVW15, Cheers

ggilbertva
01-13-2008, 18:26
Started with some Eagle Rare 10/101 and then moved on to my '65 distilled Old Fitz BIB.

Repro777
01-13-2008, 19:24
JBB and Pepsi while watching football...yummy!

gothbat
01-13-2008, 20:32
Some WT Rye while I watch the new Family Guy episode (finally...).

NickAtMartinis
01-13-2008, 20:43
Started with weller 7 90, lot B PVW20, then to the 107's with weller 7 107 ORVW 10 107, and finish with PVW15, Cheers

I am able to read people very well and I can tell right off the bat that you can't stand wheated bourbon!;)

NickAtMartinis
01-13-2008, 20:46
As Oscar said we had a small Michigan SB.com group get together last night! It was great, Oscar brought his Lot "B" and it was out of this world. His Cherries comment he posted earlier on this one was dead on (wow was that nice), thank you Oscar! Dr. Francois (Jeremy) well he hooked me up with some micro brews from his trip home to CO, thank you Jeremy! Let me know what your wife thought of the bunker pic's! and late but not least Firefly, John who has a crazy work schedule right now cleared with both bosses work and home and made the trip from Lansing! John thank you for making it as well and the gift! We drank a little of a lot! big Turkey night with the Tradition getting raves over the WTAS, WTKS 96', WTRB 99' we did not try it against the 8 yr old or 12 on the bar. But the Tradition was stellar! and for that, and this small group we're developing I toast you guys with some Tradition tonight!

Thanks to all who made it and all that PM having plans, you were missed! There's always next time!!

Cheers!
Tony

Sounds like a good time. If it didn't take 10+ hours to get there I might have gone. :D

Anyway, the WTT is some darn good stuff.

HighTower
01-14-2008, 04:42
Tonight, like last night I had nothing, as I am still gathering myself after the weekend. I went to Sydney for a few days for my best mate's Bucks Party (I believe you guys call it a Stag party). He's getting married in 3 weeks, and boy did we celebrate.
We started drinking at lunch time on Friday and it didn't really come to an end until 4 or 5 am Sunday morning.
One arrest and one off to hospital, not bad considering there was 45 guys!:grin:
Our drinking stash for the room consisted of a WT8yo, Iron Horse, Woodford Reserve, Elijah Craig 12yo, Maker's Mark, litre of Jack, JD Silver Select & Canadian Club Classic 12yo - but we didn't spend too much time in the room.....there seemed to be some major evaporation going on in there!:skep: He ended up going home with 4 bottles that maybe had one or two decent pours in them.

We went white water rafting Saturday morning, which isn't the smartest thing to do after you had 3 hours sleep after a 16 hour drinking session, but we still had fun!!

On Saturday night, I found the bar on the 3rd level had Rare Breed, and I was getting charged $6 a hit for a free pour (the dude was a little heavy handed, too), so I was as happy as a pig in :shithappens:

I'm still alive, however my liver sold itself on ebay yesterday:lol:

I recommend the rafting, but everything else ladies and gentleman, in moderation.

Scott

RedVette
01-15-2008, 14:33
One arrest and one off to hospital, not bad considering there was 45 guys!:grin:
Scott

Boy you Aussies sure know how to have fun.

Tonight I have a single pour of Pappy 23 in my glass to celebrate a momentous occasion that happened 53 years ago, today. Momma Redvette gave birth to her first child and only son, yours truly. Cheers.

TNbourbon
01-15-2008, 14:53
Best of birthdays, Rob. And "Cheers!" to Mama Vette!:toast:

Jake_Parrott
01-15-2008, 15:07
VROHH 10yo. Damn this is good. Is this going to continue as Bernheim juice? And if not, is there going to be 10-11yo Bernheim juice available for sale to independents? Wouldn't mind bottling a 10yo Willett, eh?

TNbourbon
01-15-2008, 15:21
VROHH 10yo. Damn this is good...
:lol: Another convert, eh? It's not like we haven't told you, Jake! Welcome to the club.:toast:
Let's hope it continues, but I've manage to hoard a couple of bottles, in any case. If I lived it KY, that how I'd be buying it -- by the case!

Gillman
01-15-2008, 15:24
"...eh?" (Used also by Jake).

I must be having some influence on the board! :)

Gary

TNbourbon
01-15-2008, 15:26
"eh?" (Used also by Jake).

I must be having some influence on the board! :)

Gary

Eh?:skep::lol:

Gillman
01-15-2008, 15:28
Thirty years of hard rock affecting you too, Tim? With me it's just the ears. :)

Gary

TNbourbon
01-15-2008, 15:29
Thirty years of hard rock affecting you too, Tim? With me it's just the ears. :)

Gary

More like 'rock hard' here, Gary -- as in, the head...:rolleyes:

Gillman
01-15-2008, 15:33
I'm just smiling and a-sipping my Pure Kentucky XO. Don't need good ears or eyes for that, just good judgement. :)

Gary

Jake_Parrott
01-15-2008, 15:41
:lol: Another convert, eh? It's not like we haven't told you, Jake! Welcome to the club.:toast:
Let's hope it continues, but I've manage to hoard a couple of bottles, in any case. If I lived it KY, that how I'd be buying it -- by the case!
Hardly a "convert," per se...this is the eighth bottle of a case!

Jake_Parrott
01-15-2008, 15:47
BTW, Tim and Gary, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the Willetts I left with dougdog. Wish I could be there with you guys.

TNbourbon
01-15-2008, 15:50
Hardly a "convert," per se...this is the eighth bottle of a case!

Don't you just love value?!:bowdown:

Gillman
01-15-2008, 16:43
Jake: Will report well and truly.

Gary

TNbourbon
01-15-2008, 16:59
BTW, Tim and Gary, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the Willetts I left with dougdog. Wish I could be there with you guys.

Oh, boy...:grin:

ggilbertva
01-15-2008, 17:17
I'm drinking a dram of my '65 Old Fitz BIB. What a great bourbon.

bigtoys
01-15-2008, 19:21
Day off tomorrow. Drinking some 4R Yellow. Noticed it's a screw cap instead of a cork. Hmmm. Also must have been cheap since along with the Pappy 20, the total was less than $120 w/ tax.

SBOmarc
01-15-2008, 19:34
Buffalo Trace, finding it so very drinkable in different ways. I have enjoyed it neat, with a rock and my wife liked it very much with some club soda. She has never had whiskey yet she enjoyed this.

NickAtMartinis
01-15-2008, 19:44
ORVW 10/107 and '07 Stagg.

ACDetroit
01-15-2008, 20:32
McScrooge's Four Roses 1B hand select! Yeah this stuff is really good! It has a Citrus and fruity front with a dry spicy middle the finish is light leather with the hint of sweet getting hit with that Rye spice! WOW! I'm really liking this bottle!

Tony

wildcatdon
01-16-2008, 06:50
Had some 15 PVW..it is very good...Trying to find some Old Charter Proprietors Reserve..My store has been out recently..

Jake_Parrott
01-16-2008, 07:09
Oh, boy...:grin:Sadly, I don't think I left any Velvet Glove for dougie...so only 6yo, 15yo and Iron Fist for you!

OscarV
01-16-2008, 12:39
W L Weller Special Reserve 7yo 90proof

I really like this bourbon and it comes in at around 18 bucks here in MI.
If it was 100 proof or a little higher BT could get a some big bucks for it.

What is the proof on the W L Weller 12yo?

ggilbertva
01-16-2008, 14:10
W L Weller Special Reserve 7yo 90proof

I really like this bourbon and it comes in at around 18 bucks here in MI.
If it was 100 proof or a little higher BT could get a some big bucks for it.

The Weller 12 is 90 proof. I have 3 bottles from Binny's and they are fantastic. Brett has a lot in stock so get a bottle....you won't be sorry.

OscarV
01-16-2008, 14:21
The Weller 12 is 90 proof. I have 3 bottles from Binny's and they are fantastic. Brett has a lot in stock so get a bottle....you won't be sorry.

Binny's won't ship to MI.
Anyone up for a Chi-Town roadtrip?

Old Lamplighter
01-16-2008, 16:40

As best as I recall, it is 90 proof......don't have a bottle right now to back me up on that but I am pretty sure that is correct.

Sycamore Tree
01-16-2008, 16:46
Well last night at bar I had 2 Blantons for $25. Tonight I am home and gonna drink Evan Black label. Now Dollar for Dollar has to be the best value bourbon around. I bought a fifth for $9.75. 9.75!!!

NickAtMartinis
01-16-2008, 18:48
Orvw 10/107.

smokinjoe
01-16-2008, 19:25
A little bit of snow here in Dixie tonight. :woohoo: After a snowball fight, sledding, snow angels, and making a snowman with my daughter; a couple of EC18's hit the spot.

Cheers!

JOE

SBOmarc
01-16-2008, 20:11
A little bit of snow here in Dixie tonight. :woohoo: After a snowball fight, sledding, snow angels, and making a snowman with my daughter; a couple of EC18's hit the spot.

Cheers!

JOE

I envy the scene you described. Not possible here in my part of the world unless I drive for an hour.

Lot B with one cube in a low-ball.

whiskydude
01-16-2008, 20:21
Just about to finish a pour of Old Weller Antique 107, neat. Very good for the price I think.(18.99 a fifth) It is a Cork and Bottle SB selection, barrel #10, bottled July 12, 07. I think this is the second time I've tasted this bottle and it tastes better to me since the first time a month or so ago. No water needed really.

Markoturbo
01-16-2008, 20:35
Started with Berhiem went to 4 roses small then single barrel then PVW 20 and finisning with PVW15, all were supurb.

bigtoys
01-16-2008, 20:53
Started with Berhiem went to 4 roses small then single barrel then PVW 20 and finisning with PVW15, all were supurb.

Nice night. I sampled the Bernheim last weekend at Binny's and almost bought it. Dave, the spirits guy, described it as "husky". I don't think I've ever had a mostly wheat whiskey before.

Old Lamplighter
01-16-2008, 21:25
In the midst of a typical winter cold I decided to pull out the highest proof in the cabinet which is Stagg 131 (Spring 05). Miixed it up a sour with OJ & LJ. Not bad and hopefully will knock me out for a few hours.

Dr. François
01-17-2008, 07:15
Last night I got back into that McAfee's Benchmark from BT. As far as a bang/buck pour, it is fantastic. Very sweet on the nose and incredibly drinkable.

Does anyone know from which mash bill the Benchmark hails? My guess is the low rye bourbon (BT #1, I think). Any confirmation would be appreciated!

macon
01-17-2008, 19:34
Tonight, I opened a new bottle of Pappy Lot B and had a couple of pours. Very good.

birdman1099
01-17-2008, 20:02
Cheers, Macon !!!:toast:

Lot B is Fantastic !!!!

It's 07 Larue Weller for me. Me thinks me in love !!!!:drinking:

felthove
01-17-2008, 20:33
Had several pours tonight to honor my mother-in-law coming into town this evening.

JB Black -- was actually pretty pleasantly surprised. Had a nice rye tang and some caramel sweetness; similar to Basil Hayden's but with more roundness. More integrated and balanced sweetness than OGB, which to me isn't as well integrated. Don't get me wronge -- OGD satisfies more and wins in the end but it isn't as refined as one might desire. Overall, feeling as though this was a good buy and I'm warming to it and respecting Beam for this product.

Rittenhouse Rye BIB -- just absolutely love the gingerbread finish on this and the candy front. I cannot help but think of the price as I drink it and I come back to it nightly. Only a few bottles are available locally and I cannot help but to worry about being shut out of one of my daily pours.

Elmer T. Lee -- a balanced product with sufficient rye finish and viscosity that just doesn't jump out for me as unique or overly compelling. Right in every way but just not striking.

Bookers -- I know it's cheating but there is just something about the power and viscosity of high proof bourbon. Love the refreshing oomph of everything coming at me at 100 mph. Booker's may be baby Stagg but it certainly seems comfortable in its role.

birdman1099
01-17-2008, 20:47
Bookers -- I know it's cheating but there is just something about the power and viscosity of high proof bourbon. Love the refreshing oomph of everything coming at me at 100 mph. Booker's may be baby Stagg but it certainly seems comfortable in its role.

I couldn't agree more. I always have a bottle of bookers in my stash !!!

Good Call !!!:cool:

NickAtMartinis
01-17-2008, 20:52
A Heineken, ORVW 10/107 and WTRB.

Markoturbo
01-17-2008, 21:10
Four roses small batch, antique weller 107, and lot B to finish, Mark

spun_cookie
01-17-2008, 21:14
Stagg 06... neat:woohoo:

Virus_Of_Life
01-17-2008, 22:04
Tonight was a night of exploration. Ended up at a bar called The Scottish Arms, as you can probably tell Bourbon isn't there specialty - think of it as Bourbons Bistro for the Scotch nut... When in Rome...

After a EC18 I tried Bruidladdich 15 year and found it pretty good nothing spectacular but decent enough. Then I noticed they offer flights of small pours so I did what they call the Queens Tour and chose Macallan 18 year, Laphroaig 15 year and Isle of Jura Superstition. Well first off the Laph. was just a touch above horrible! Medicinal and just plain bad - sorry not at all to my taste. The Macallan was good but seemed pretty one dimensional. Honestly I think I enjoyed the Isle of Jura the most it had evident layers of flavor and a great chocolatey toffee finish that really lasted.

Not going to add a bottle of Scotch to my bunker any time soon, but will enjoy this bar quite a few more times while out here on expenses. :p

One thing I do have to add and I don't know if it was just this barkeep but their pours were very stingy! I mean a "dram" which costs more than a shot is still not what I'd call a good pour by any means! I am hoping it was the guy pouring and not the standard for this place..... Oh yeah, and for what you get the prices are pretty high!

dacashflo
01-18-2008, 07:47
Last night my wife and I enjoyed a glass of her favorite Bourbon Rowan's creek. I'm slowly moving her off of Vodka and Gin!

Mamba
01-18-2008, 12:05
Last night started with Pappy 15, continued on with OGD 114, and ended with GTS 141.2. As usual, drinking in the order of ascending proof. The OGD was awesome, and after a couple sips of the GTS I knew I'd made a mistake in switching. Maybe the Stagg's been sitting in the bottle too long, because it had some strong off-notes (rubber? plastic?) I did not appreciate. A little water dampened those notes but could not erase them. If these off-notes present themselves in the next few tastings, I'll have to make that GTS into a mixer :shocked::cool:

NYtaster
01-18-2008, 18:05
Just finishing off a bottle of WTRR, the newer 90 proof stuff. I am a bit time WT fan and have forsaken the Russells Reserve since the "change". I have to say that I been missing out on something here, I really like this, I get a more complex flavor profile than my usual WTRB, vanilla and apple dominate and make this a very easy bourbon to enjoy.

ggilbertva
01-18-2008, 18:27
Small pour of VOB BIB.

Markoturbo
01-18-2008, 19:41
Started with IPA, coffee stout (beer thing) then to the goods, Bernheim, lot B, ORVW 10 107 and finishing with Pappy 15....Soooo Gooood. Mark

OscarV
01-18-2008, 20:09
Had a couple of Weller's Special Reserve.
Then we went to my my wife's company Christmas party, (yeah they do it in Jan.).
There I had a few Wild Turkey 80 proof, the only bourbon they had.
Actually I was glad it was only 80 proof, no need to get crazy there.
Now I am back on the Weller's.

bigtoys
01-18-2008, 20:49
Well, these days don't come around often. The 1st qtr Malt Advocate magazine has arrived with an article on Four Roses' resurgence and the annual awards. American whiskey of the year is Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Tasting notes on WT RR Rye: "incredibly smooth", rated 88.

I'm reading it with a glass of Pappy 15. If only I could puff a stogie in the house...

spun_cookie
01-18-2008, 21:31
A little Hirsch tonight... mmm good stuff with ribeye, salad, sorbe, water, xxx, xxxx, xxxxx

now on to the big stuff :grin:

birdman1099
01-19-2008, 10:35
since Nickatmartinis (Nick@martinis) raves so much about the ORVW 10'107, I picked one up today.

Let's see where it ends up in the Van Winkle line.

fogfrog
01-19-2008, 14:32
Weller's Antique 107. I used a shot glass and poured it into my whiskey glass. Then I tasted it a bit and added Britta filtered water. (The water in Knoxville is atrocious tasting). I added water approx... 1/3 shot ....

I think my taste buds are improving on this Weller. Its got a lot of good taste. I really like it. This is definitely sipping whiskey. I don't know what whiskey is not sipping whiskey, but this definitely is.

SingleBarrel
01-19-2008, 15:46
2007 T.H. Handy rye, followed by some McScrooge's specially selected Pappy 15. Hard to beat after watching the Tennessee men's basketball team dispatch Ohio State this afternoon!

OscarV
01-19-2008, 16:27
Eagle Rare 101 10yo. New Oreans bottle.
Among other flavors I am also getting a slight char flavor that is very similar to Stagg's.

CrispyCritter
01-19-2008, 18:20
Tonight, with outside temperatures hovering around 0 F (-18 C), I figured it would be a good night for a "three-peat" as in three peated single malts. First up, a pour of Connemara Cask Strength - unusual in that it is a peated Irish single-malt. Next up, Bruichladdich 3D "Peat Proposal" (first edition). Now, lastly, Ardbeg 10.

The differences are subtle, but I can notice them - the Connemara, along with its peat, has a slight, pleasant grassy undertone - sort of like a meadow after a rainstorm. The 3-D has Bruichladdich's floral character, but with the peat cranked way up from the typical 'Laddie. The Ardbeg, of course, is an in-your-face peat fest, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Once the Ardbeg is finished, I'll wait a bit, and then break out my OGD 114.

ACDetroit
01-19-2008, 18:39
Ok I went to my dad's basement to see if I could find anything different, I had Weller 12 last night.

On the shelf I found a bottle of Early Times from 1975 open and a little over half full! states "This Whiskey is 4 years old" on the back lable. I opened it and took a wiff smells good! poured a couple ounces and damn that aint bad at all for 4 year old! A bit sweet and not a lot going on but really tasty!!

Tony

NickAtMartinis
01-19-2008, 20:32
Is this thread not a clear invasion of privacy. Why should I tell you what I'm drinking or have drunk?! Please, admins, I beg you, delete this thread.

Is the government behind this? Do they want to know what I consume and how much per day (see the "How many ounces" thread)?

Why do I feel like I'm in a box and I cannot breathe?!

Okay, twist my arm, Mr. CIA, I had me a couple pours of ORVW 10/107 and PVW 15. Are you happy now?! ;)

HighTower
01-20-2008, 02:59
I had some Russell's Reserve 90 proof, and then some Eagle Rare 90.

Both top notch bourbons, went down well.

Scott

Empty_One
01-20-2008, 11:50
I've had a Rittenhouse Rye mixed with a little Stewarts Ginger Beer, not too bad. Getting ready for the afternoon of football, and will probably be having some makers mixed with the Stewarts, or I may finish off the bottle of Elmer T Lee I bought a few weeks ago.

This has to be my favorite day for sports fo the year. Much better than the Superbowl.

birdman1099
01-20-2008, 12:22
I just poured me a tall glass of ORVW 10/107, and watching the Football games !!!!

This stuff is truely a great tasting bourbon for $30.

Cheers !!!

whiskydude
01-20-2008, 19:08
Just watching the last couple of minutes of the Packers-Giants with PVW 20. It's going down very easy.....too easy! :) I usually keep this one for special occasions, but I haven't had any since November and I am treating myself before the Sunday Night Scotch club meets! We're down to two SMS left, so it may be a bourbon night anyway.

NickAtMartinis
01-20-2008, 19:57
PVW 15, WTRB with some "fatty floaters" and another fat pour of PVW 15.

ACDetroit
01-20-2008, 20:17
WT Tribute to start and now some McScrooge's FR1B!

Tony

HipFlask
01-20-2008, 21:31
Well I started out with a first ever taste of Saz Jr. A very nice rye I will have to make some room in the bunker a bottle as a buddy brought this bottle over. Next up some Booker's. I really like this one. much more heat and flavor compared to the rye. This is the first time I have this one since I really started to care how this stuff tastes. Then I cracked open the 07 BTAC WLW. Run Forest Run to the liquor store and buy another bottle.

ggilbertva
01-20-2008, 21:38
Try vatting 50/50 Baby Saz and '07 Handy. Really fantastic.

Old Lamplighter
01-20-2008, 22:13
A little Ritt BIB followed by WLW 05 and then back to the rye to finish with a round of VWFRR.

mgilbertva
01-21-2008, 10:26
I picked up some Johnny Drum, the 4 YO 86pf for just under $20 the other day from Ace Beverage in DC. While it's not an outstanding bourbon, I do like it. It tastes like it's a high-rye mashbill - I get that rye crisp finish.

I don't mix bourbon often, but for lower quality ryes the one mix I'll indulge in is good ginger ale. Johnny Drum is terrific with both Old Dominion ginger ale (a local product here in Virginia, a softer, more citrusy style) and Ale8One (did I spell that right? - a dry, very ginger-y ginger ale). What I find interesting about that mix is with both of them, in spite of their differences, give a pronounced malty character to the drink. Very pleasant.

SBOmarc
01-21-2008, 11:02
Try vatting 50/50 Baby Saz and '07 Handy. Really fantastic.

Tried the 50/50 with elder Saz and Thomas Handy. With the Saz Jr, the proof will be reduced even more. I will give this a try for sure.

ggilbertva
01-21-2008, 11:37
Tried the 50/50 with elder Saz and Thomas Handy. With the Saz Jr, the proof will be reduced even more. I will give this a try for sure.

This may sound strange, but I picked up bubble gum with that mix. Very interesting.

OscarV
01-21-2008, 14:18
Four Roses Small Batch.
It will never replace the Single Barrel, but I find this quite interesting.
The nose reminds me of George Dickel Barrel Select, only milder.
I can't to this day say what that smell is and it drives me crazy.

The taste is light, but I think of it that way because Single Barrel is in my head and having an influence.
But it does have that Four Roses spice, but yet different.

I do know that Mr. Rutledge uses different yeast for his different mash bills.
Which brings me back to a question I have asked before but have not got an answer yet.
How much, as in percentage, does the yeast influence the taste of a whiskey?

Dr. François
01-21-2008, 17:55
In my exploration of the BT Mash Bill #1, tonight I sampled OC10 followed by a standard issue BT.

Considering the rather close relationship between the two, I find some similarities and some differences.
The overall structure and body is, to me, nearly identical. Both have the same presence in the mouth. Both have a residual spiciness that is pleasant without being overpowering.
The OC10 is considerably sweeter than the BT, both on the nose and on the palate. OC10 is perhaps the best after-dinner bourbon I have tasted to date.

Despite the price difference (17 for OC10 and 24 for BT in MI), the OC10 is more elegant and sweet while the BT is a better all-purpose bourbon. Bottom line, I love both and shall continue to appreciate each for its unique properties.

RE: my earlier post on Benchmark...I think I've established that the Benchmark tastes most like a less mature, under-aged OC.

ILLfarmboy
01-21-2008, 18:25
White Winter Winery strawberry mead. I don't know if its the power of suggestion but this is reminding me of those wine coolers but with a definite honey character. A bit thin in taste and viscosity when compared to Redstone Meadery's Traditional Mountain Honey wine. This is my first experience with a melomel. I'll be honest, I'm a bit disappointed. I think I will order a few bottles of Redstone Meadery's Sunshine or boysenberry Nectar for comparison.

TNbourbon
01-21-2008, 18:33
...Despite the price difference (17 for OC10 and 24 for BT in MI)...
I think, upon restock, you will find the OC 10 considerably higher. I'd advise buying all you can at that price if you think it a good value.

bigtoys
01-21-2008, 19:14
First, I never realized that if you click on the bourbon label on the home screen (the one that changes each time) it takes you to that distiller's website. I found out by accident.

As I try somewhat futiley to finish off my '06 Stagg (140.6 proof), I get hints of wet spray paint (?!?) on the nose. And I feel my nose hairs burning:hot: , despite a few cubes of ice. I was gonna try to deplete what's left by half, but there's just no way. I need help.

As the ice takes more effect, the bourbon mellows. As the Stagg takes more effect, so do I.

Perhaps with the next pour, I'll wait for more melting before starting. Wish me luck. Good I'm off tomorrow, but I sense the need to get up to blow snow, as we're expecting about 4 inches overnight.

edit/addition: Checked the BAC (have a little Alcohawk), but didn't wait the suggested 15 minutes: 0.03. One of the highest readings I've gotten. Poured another few oz with some ice, that I'll let melt some. Will check after this drink. Can't imagine what these fools who drive with BAC's of 0.20 must feel like.

ACDetroit
01-21-2008, 19:47
I received a trade today hand delivered (third party...thank you Hogben) from a fellow member and I am drinking some Eagle Rare 10yr. 101 Lburg release, WOW! this stuff is unbelievable...really! The nose is citrus and and candied orange! the finish is sweet with the dry leather coming in!

I need more of this stuff!!!

Charles? Help me out??

Thank you,
Tony

birdman1099
01-21-2008, 20:00
for me, I started off with a big Rowans Creek. A great, easy drinker.
and finished up with a FR 40th. I'm having trouble loving this. The single barrell is so good, i figured i'd love it. :skep: not yet !!!!

NickAtMartinis
01-21-2008, 20:11
PVW 15. More to come.

spun_cookie
01-21-2008, 20:41
Killed a bottle of EC 18 and trying to Kill an 1904 JB bottle to gain space :cool:

OscarV
01-22-2008, 03:24
The OC10 is considerably sweeter than the BT, both on the nose and on the palate.

From what I understand the OC has the highest percentage of corn of all bourbons.

TBoner
01-22-2008, 03:57
Yeah, OC is from the same mashbill as BT, but the barrels are clearly selected for quite different profiles. BT is quite a bit spicier. I love me some sweet OC, though...

TBoner
01-22-2008, 15:15
First pour of bourbon in a week or so.

Having a 1:1 vatting of ND OGD 8yo/86 proof with Beam OGD BIB. The ND stuff is a touch too woody. The age in it rounds out the younger Beam stuff, and the proof and spice of the OGD BIB beef up the 86 proof nicely. This is how I like OGD to taste: orangey, spicy (cinnamon, mostly), and slightly leathery with a big, rounded mouthfeel. Terrific stuff.

Gillman
01-22-2008, 17:23
That's a cool vatting, exemplyfing perfect logic.

I'm going with some Pappy 15, current bottling. A finely calibrated pour with a good sweetness, cigar box flavor and fine finish.

However I had a bottle some months back, with identical (current) labelling, that was thinner and harsher. I don't know why. Pappy will never be bad, but some bottles reach superlative heights.

Gary

TBoner
01-22-2008, 17:56
Thanks, Gary. I enjoy vatting similar brands from two different distillers; since it's usually made to the same recipe it can yield terrific flavors that make sense. This particular bottle of OGD 8/86 is not good, but the vatting tastes much like some other, very good ND bottles I've had.

I picked up a 15-yo Pappy this weekend, incidentally. It's a current bottling, the first I've seen in a while. Looking forward to it. Hope it's not harsh, as your recent sample.