PDA

View Full Version : How many ounces per day?

felthove
01-09-2008, 08:38
I was just wondering how many ounces of bourbon you all typically consume over the course of an afternoon/evening when you partake?

Since I've gotten into this hobby in earnest I've been a little overzealous in wanting to try and become familiar with all the bourbons I've picked up. I'd say I've been averaging around 8 oz a night (4 two oz pours).

Have you all found that your consumption rate has changed as you've gotten more bourbon tasting under your belt or your interest in trying new brands has waxed or waned?

dcb
01-09-2008, 10:14
hard to say, but I *have* gotten to the point where I have at least one pour a night. and a pour for me is probably under 4oz but at least 2oz.

LarryG
01-09-2008, 11:22
I watch my consumption pretty closely ... I don't think I'm overly susceptible to addiction, but I like the taste of bourbon (and rye) and I don't want to risk things getting out of hand. My current "schedule" is four ounces, four nights a week. Usually it's one four-ounce pour but occasionally it's two ounces each from two different bottles. I almost never drink anything below 90 proof, and probably 3/4 of the time am at 100 or above. By the time I've had four ounces, I'm getting to the point where my ability to appreciate the more subtle aspects of a given pour are rapidly diminishing. :rolleyes:

Since discovering this web site, my consumption has gone up a little but my interest in trying different brands and expressions has gone up a lot. The selection available in my ABC-controlled state is very limited and I'm finding that increasingly frustrating.

Larry

Mamba
01-09-2008, 11:46
Between 1-3oz on nights I do consume. Any more than that and it's just drinking :cool:

Often I'll have 4-5 different spirits in a row, around 20-25ml per sample. That's my favorite way of tasting from my bunker (which has gotten much too large for the amount I drink).

Jono
01-09-2008, 12:16
I usually drink whiskey on Friday and/or Saturday night..usually 1-2 oz (1-2 shots)..sometimes a little more. I will have an occasional bottle of wine over two nights during the work week w dinner and sometimes a beer or two on weekends.

FYI - a drink is usually defined as 1.5 oz of 80 proof spirits, 5 oz of wine 10% alc and 12 oz of beer 4%.
Moderate consumption is 2 / day for men...1 for women.

ratcheer
01-09-2008, 15:36
Between 1-3oz on nights I do consume. Any more than that and it's just drinking :cool:

I am pretty close to the same. I basically set myself a two drink limit, but most of the time I only have one. Also, I don't drink more nights than I do.

Tim

full_proof
01-09-2008, 19:07
Alas, the age-old question: what IS normal? I drink 3-4 oz. of bourbon/scotch about five times per week, coupled with approximately 144 oz. of craft beer per week. Yes, officer, I've only had two beers.

But, honestly, limited (on average) to six days a week. The latter consumption is, as time goes by, making my clothes exceedingly difficult to don. I have since perfected the technique of sucking my gut [in] while buttoning my britches. :slappin:

NickAtMartinis
01-09-2008, 19:20
Probably about 6-8 ounces.

Old Lamplighter
01-09-2008, 19:52
Probably about 6-8 ounces.

Same is average for me.....less some days, more on others......depending on the events of the day.

texascarl
01-09-2008, 20:00
3 to 4 oz of bourbon/rye on the nights I have whiskey. 5-10 oz of wine on some other nights. Plenty of nights it's just coffee or tea.

felthove
01-09-2008, 20:03
Alas, the age-old question: what IS normal? I drink 3-4 oz. of bourbon/scotch about five times per week, coupled with approximately 144 oz. of craft beer per week. Yes, officer, I've only had two beers.

But, honestly, limited (on average) to six days a week. The latter consumption is, as time goes by, making my clothes exceedingly difficult to don. I have since perfected the technique of sucking my gut [in] while buttoning my britches. :slappin:

I know you're mostly jesting here but part of me did worry about spoiling the fun with this question. It's just that I've been having a blast drinking all this good bourbon and figured I'd ask where I fall in terms of enthusiasm and the resulting consumption!

Jono
01-09-2008, 20:33
We come in all shapes and sizes...so consumption is a very individual thing...a large person can handle more than a small person (most of the time). We all end up using our own judgement & experience to find an amount that we know we can handle.

Cheers!

*My biggest concern is just trying to avoid adding too many extra calories...

ggilbertva
01-09-2008, 21:26
I'm more of a light weight. I don't drink every night and when I do have a pour, it's typically 2 oz or less. I have two teenage sons and I want to set a long term example of moderation. I could certainly enjoy more but choose not to.

cowdery
01-09-2008, 22:38
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), heavy drinking, for men, is typically defined as consuming an average of more than 2 drinks per day. For women, heavy drinking is typically defined as consuming an average of more than 1 drink per day.

The CDC describes a standard drink as equal to 13.7 grams of pure alcohol or:

12-ounces of beer.
8-ounces of malt liquor.
5-ounces of wine.
1.5-ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits or liquor (gin, rum, vodka, whiskey, etc).

RoyalWater
01-09-2008, 23:44
There was some content pertinent to this subject on one of the morning news shows 1/09. The piece was about newly deviced standards for identifying alcoholism. The interviewee stated that to avoid adverse health effects, men should consume no more than 14 drinks per week, women 7; and not more than 3 in one session.

In moderation, alcohol is one of nature's great medicines. In excess, alcohol is one of the foulest poisons.

Sweetmeats
01-10-2008, 11:47
I have probably 3-4 1 ounce shots a night. Although I've been starting to have .5 ounce shots of whiskey that I want to last longer.

The sad thing is...that makes me a heavy drinker?

felthove
01-10-2008, 11:52
On the days where you have 3 one oz pours that equals two 1.5 oz drinks, so then you're not a heavy drinker! Unless you dare go over 80 proof and then you're screwed again!

barturtle
01-10-2008, 11:58
Or about 1.7oz of Stagg to hit the 3oz of 80 proof limit.

Jono
01-10-2008, 12:29
I posted this yesterday under the Bourbon and Health thread...some good news...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,321388,00.html

Kendall
01-10-2008, 17:00
Usually 2 or 3 drinks, approx. 2 ounces each. 4 or 5 times a week.

Solomon2
01-10-2008, 17:08
to two ounces, tops. I drink from a cordial glass if I'm drinking straight, from a four-ounce tulip if on the rocks.

full_proof
01-10-2008, 18:27
* * * It's just that I've been having a blast drinking all this good bourbon and figured I'd ask where I fall in terms of enthusiasm and the resulting consumption!

Same here. I appreciate the issue you posed as I (seriously) have wondered where I fall in the group here. In this world, anything consumed to wretched excess is unavoidably insalubrious. I admire the candid answers and responsible approach by the members of SB.com

Eggman
01-11-2008, 14:38
Howdy,

2 oz. w/ Diet Coke on most evenings. Occasionally I'll consume a total of 3 oz. in one evening.

Eggman

cowdery
01-11-2008, 16:00
It occurs to me to add here that the CDC standards, which have been the standards everybody has used for as long as I can remember, are non-judgemental. Heavy drinker does not mean problem drinker or even unhealthy drinker, necessarily. It is merely the next step after moderate drinker. I believe there is also a category of light drinker, that is an average of two drinks or less per week (for men, one for women).

I, for example, consider myself a moderate form of heavy drinker. ;)

Randy_Ricchi
01-11-2008, 20:36
I once heard that when a doctor asks you how much you drink, they immediately double whatever answer you gave them. I suspect this is true to some extent, not necessarily for all people but for many of them. About 15 years ago I joined a brewclub and when I was first getting to know the people and the subject came up about how much each of us drank on a daily basis it was mostly " oh, I have one or two per day". After I got to know them better I figured, "yeah, right".

fogfrog
01-18-2008, 13:05
I would like to be able to drink more but one or two shots worth is the most I can take because with more than two drinks, I get this weird phenomenon where I wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep. Seems to be attributed to alcohol. So for me its either sleep or drink. I can't have both unless I drink a LOT more I suppose.

fogfrog
01-18-2008, 13:08
since it upsets my sleep, I have a few nites a week where I sleep way too lightly.... I would like to be able to drink more...

I just restarted on Atkins and even though theres no carbs in Bourbon, it seems to mess up my diet.... makes me hungrier for carbs somehow.....

On Atkins, your liver burns fat. When you drink, it stops burning fat and immediately processes the alcohol. Sometimes I get ripped off of one or two drinks.

fogfrog
01-18-2008, 13:11
shoot, how many ounces are in a half a fifth?... no, I don't usually do that....

If I really wanted to drink, I don't think I would buy a half pint though. If I didn't, then a half pint would be plenty.

Thesh
01-18-2008, 13:35
Usually 1 drink a day, sometimes 2, and I drink usually 2-4 days a week.

SingleBarrel
01-19-2008, 16:53
Probably around 3 to 4 ounces a day, but usually that is over many hours. I frequently will have a drink after things settle down at home after work in the evening (around 8:00 to 8:30 or so), and then maybe another around 10:00 or so. On the weekends, I may have a first drink a little earlier. These are typically 1 1/2 to 2 ounce pours, and I sip over a long period of time. I've been sitting here sipping on a 2 ounce pour of Pappy 15 tonight for an hour and a half - going on two hours now. So, I rarely am getting a "buzz" from drinking - I really enjoy the taste! Now, there is the occasional time that I actually do have a bit more and actually feel it. If I come home from work or it's the weekend and I am in that "mood" (maybe once a week), I may shake up a good Martini (gin preferred) of 3 ounces or so, and then still do the 3 or 4 ounces of whiskey later (bourbon or scotch) over a few hours as I usually do. THEN :cool: I feel the buzz!

CrispyCritter
01-19-2008, 18:30
For me it varies - typically 1.5 - 3 oz. (my standard pour is about 1.5), but sometimes more. I tend to drink fairly slowly - and, the higher the proof, the slower I drink. On a beer night, I skip the whisky.

I'm at most risk of overindulging with cocktails - especially on a hot summer evening.

Megawatt
01-20-2008, 13:40
I typically consume 2-3 ounces per night on average. For what it's worth, my doctor told me that at my age (27), I should not be having more than 5 drinks per week, a drink being an ounce and a half at 80 proof. So much for that...

burbankbrewer
01-20-2008, 13:59
I try to keep it under 16 drinks a week. One drink being one oz. spirit or one beer or one 5oz. wine. But some times I go more or less. Your body should tell you if your over doing it. Your brain mostly. If you wake up feelin like crap, you know should cut back.

spun_cookie
01-20-2008, 19:40
between 2-4 ounces... regaurdless of the proof.....

melting
01-21-2008, 13:42
More than I would have thought had I not really thought about it. Typical night usually goes as follows.

1 Beer after work, usually Sam Adams, Celebration Ale or PBR around 4:30
1 glass of wine, usually red, with dinner around 6:00
Around 2 ounces of whiskey (scotch, bourbon, canadian, irish whatever) while settling down for the evening around 8:00.

This doesn't really change on the weekends except for maybe a couple more beers during the day.

So Monday thru Friday is around 4-5 ounces of alcohol per night.
Saturday and Sunday is around 7-8 ounces.

Probably 80 percent of my alcohol intake is accompanied by some kind of food.

Chris

closetbourbonlvr
01-21-2008, 14:03
.5 to 1 oz 3-4 days a week. Usually right before bed.

Like this thread. Its proof that many of you take the negative pitfalls of consumption seriously. Or at least I hope you do.

nydistiller
01-21-2008, 14:23
I have found that when you have had enough the quit. I drink 6-8 oz a night and I am not intoxicated when I go to bed, feel bad in the morning or have health problems from it. I always chase my whiskey with water at least 5 oz or so to the oz of whiskey, I also eat a lot of protein and take b vitamins and most importantly keep the bowels flowing.

fogfrog
01-25-2008, 10:24
I am down under a shot now so i figure one ounce. Thats about all I want. I can't pay attention as well if I have more.

cowdery
01-25-2008, 12:16
More than I would have thought had I not really thought about it. Typical night usually goes as follows.

1 Beer after work, usually Sam Adams, Celebration Ale or PBR around 4:30
1 glass of wine, usually red, with dinner around 6:00
Around 2 ounces of whiskey (scotch, bourbon, canadian, irish whatever) while settling down for the evening around 8:00.

This doesn't really change on the weekends except for maybe a couple more beers during the day.

So Monday thru Friday is around 4-5 ounces of alcohol per night.
Saturday and Sunday is around 7-8 ounces.

Probably 80 percent of my alcohol intake is accompanied by some kind of food.

Chris

one beer (12 oz.) = 1/2 oz. of absolute alcohol
one glass of wine (5 oz.) = 1/2 oz. of absolute alcohol
Two ounces of whiskey (let's say 100 proof) = 1 oz. of absolute alcohol.

So your weekday consumption, as you described it, is 2 ounces of alcohol (i.e., absolute alcohol), not 4-5.

I'm posting this for everybody, not just for Chris, because people are throwing ounces around without converting to absolute alcohol. If the question is "how much am I really drinking?" especially if that drinking is mixed among different types of beverages with very different alcohol concentrations, the only way to do it is in terms of absolute alcohol, which means the alcohol portion of any particular water-and-alcohol solution.

melting
01-25-2008, 13:47
Thanks for the clarification. I was looking at the numbers and thinking that it was higher than what I would have expected. I hope that's a common mistake for everyone else also and that my math skill are not rapidly diminishing.

Chris

spun_cookie
01-25-2008, 22:11
i changed my mind... not enough

LarryG
01-26-2008, 07:01
Well, now I'm confused -- but then that's always a pretty short drive for me.

The OP asked how many ounces of bourbon and that was the basis of my answer: four ounces, and I typically consume that four nights a week, for a total of 16oz of bourbon (or rye: these two are the only hard spirits I currently drink). I don't keep an accurate accounting of proof but I'd guess right at 100 is about my average. So that'd be 8oz of actual alcohol in a week.

The gov't defines "moderation" for men as up to two 1.5 oz drinks of 80 proof spirits per day (I'll leave beer and wine out of it, for simplicity), which works out to 8.4oz of actual alcohol per week. As I said in some other thread, I don't necessarily regard the gov't definition as my limit but by that definition my consumption is considered moderate, for whatever that's worth.

Larry

cowdery
01-26-2008, 15:42
I don't know what you mean when you say "actual alcohol," but the term is "absolute alcohol," which is another way of saying "pure alcohol" or "100% alcohol." Two 1.5 oz drinks of 80 proof spirits contain about one ounce of absolute alcohol, which can be shortened to just "alcohol" if you wish, since that's what matters. The consumption of two 1.5 oz drinks of 80 proof spirits per day every day means you are consuming seven ounces of alcohol per week.

cowdery
01-26-2008, 16:48
The editing bot stopped me from amending my message above (even though the edit button was still visible, weird) but here's how I would clarify it further.

"Absolute alcohol" is another way of saying "pure alcohol" or "100% alcohol." It can be shortened to just "alcohol" if you wish, since that's what matters. The term "absolute alcohol" is used only because people popularly refer to anything that contains alcohol as alcohol, even though the only thing out there that is pure alcohol is 190 proof Everclear, and technically even that still is ~5% water.

Two 1.5 oz drinks of 80 proof spirits contain about one ounce of alcohol.

Therefore, consumption of two 1.5 oz drinks of 80 proof spirits per day every day (the standard for moderate consumption) means you are consuming one ounce of alcohol each day, seven ounces of alcohol each week. If you're consuming four ounces of 100 proof bourbon four days a week, that is eight ounces of alcohol per week.

One-hundred proof bourbon is the easiest way to figure, since it's half alcohol and half water, so two ounces of 100-proof bourbon is one ounce of alcohol.

jwrussell
01-26-2008, 18:38
I honestly couldn't say as I never measure, per se. I can definately say I'm on the low end of the scale from what I'm reading. If I have a couple of drinks a week (bourbon) I'm indulging. That might go up if I'm out for a nice dinner somewhere that has some decent bourbon. Usually I'll have one or (rarely) two pours (probably around 2 oz) whenever I have a cigar and that's at most 2 times a week unless I get really lucky.

cigarnv
01-29-2008, 03:33
Everyone seems to process alcohol differently and in my case that changes with age. As I get older I find myself impacted more by alcohol, especially in that it makes me sleepy if consumed to late as well as causing a restless sleep. As such I try to enjoy libations before or during dinner. As for the amount consumed it depends on my mood and the situation.... less when alone, more when in the company of friends.... enormous amounts when visiting family stays too long...LOL!!!

Attila
08-05-2008, 07:49
.5 to 1 oz 3-4 days a week.

What?!?!?!?

.5 ounces? That would make a standard bottle fo bourbon last for something like 50 pours.

Really, really?

Attila
08-05-2008, 08:06
The gov't defines "moderation" for men as up to two 1.5 oz drinks of 80 proof spirits per day

Well I am completely screwed then.

No less than 14 oz. of bourbon a week. Add in beer, wine, sake consumed at home we are easily 18 oz. of booze in a week. Adding the stuff I hafta drink entertaining clients etc at strip clubs and other houses of ill repute in Roppongi twice a month (or more) is gonna hafta include shots of absurd things (orgasims, lemon drops, etc) and champagne which will take me to an average of at least 28 oz. a week. Thats 250% of the moderate amount. I am done for.

nor02lei
08-05-2008, 10:22

No less than 14 oz. of bourbon a week. Add in beer, wine, sake consumed at home we are easily 18 oz. of booze in a week. Adding the stuff I hafta drink entertaining clients etc at strip clubs and other houses of ill repute in Roppongi twice a month (or more) is gonna hafta include shots of absurd things (orgasims, lemon drops, etc) and champagne which will take me to an average of at least 28 oz. a week. Thats 250% of the moderate amount. I am done for.

If I count in all the type of alcohol l drink and assume one ounce is about 3 cl I am in the same league as you Dave.

Leif

Thesh
08-05-2008, 13:27
Well, right now I decided since I had over 70 open bottles (most close to full), I am going to try to finish off 2-3 bottles a week.

Under normal circumstances I normally consume maybe 1-4 oz, 3-5 nights a week.

PhilsFan
08-05-2008, 14:20
Usually I have a 2 oz pour three nights a week. On the Saturdays and Sundays when my wife is working weekends (once every three weeks) I'll have 2 pours on Saturday & 2 on Sunday while the ballgames are on.

-Joe

ratcheer
08-05-2008, 16:12
When I partake, I usually have about 1.5 ounces. My usual range would be around 1 oz to 4 ozs. Either extreme would be quite rare. I usually have one standard pour (which I consider to be 1.5 oz) and that's it. I occasionally have a "healthy" pour, which would be about 2 to 2.5 oz.

Also, I don't partake very often, anymore. Often zero times per week, ranging up to maybe three times per week. If I am in New Orleans, maybe three times per day. :slappin:

Tim

CorvallisCracker
08-05-2008, 16:54

No less than 14 oz. of bourbon a week. Add in beer, wine, sake consumed at home we are easily 18 oz. of booze in a week. Adding the stuff I hafta drink entertaining clients etc at strip clubs and other houses of ill repute in Roppongi twice a month (or more) is gonna hafta include shots of absurd things (orgasims, lemon drops, etc) and champagne which will take me to an average of at least 28 oz. a week. Thats 250% of the moderate amount.

Bourbon. Beer. Wine. Sake. Strip clubs. Houses of ill repute. Champagne.

I am done for.

Try as I might I can't feel sorry for you. :smil41df29a15fb35:

melting
08-05-2008, 17:36
I read my post from January and things haven't changed much. A beer right after work on most nights. About 2 ounces of whiskey after the kids go to bed. Haven't had much wine lately. Maybe about 1 bottle per month. I still have approximately 40 bottles of wine in the basement but just haven't had the urge.

Chris

Attila
08-05-2008, 18:50
Try as I might I can't feel sorry for you.

Yeah, things could be worse.

marco246
08-05-2008, 21:45
Typically I'll have a beer or a pour of bourbon over ice before dinner, a beer or a glass of wine with dinner, and a pour of bourbon neat or a cognac after dinner. Sometimes the pre-dinner or post-dinner drink is skipped, so I normally have 2 or 3 "drinks" per day. If we have people over or are out ourselves, the number may rise.