PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon and Mixed Nuts

Sycamore Tree
01-14-2008, 18:42
I know this is real odd but I was siping my Buff Trace tonight while eating mixed nuts. I'll be damned but that whiskey really got way more complex and was overall outstanding. I like BT but its not in the craveable category yet.

Y'all ought to try this. It really was a great way to drink bourbon. These nuts were cashes, Pecans, Brazil nuts, peanuts, almonds and filberts. I put a hunk of em in my hand, chewed a bit then took as sip. Wow!

Luna56
01-15-2008, 21:56
Yeah, mixed nuts (Planter's Deluxe Mixed nuts are my fave) and bourbon are an excellent pairing. The little bit of salt is a good thing. Try some mixed nuts with a really great single malt, too. Out of this world. I think there's something about almonds in the mix that kicks this combination into the stratosphere. I'm hooked.
Cheers!

Caradog
01-15-2008, 23:44
Nothing odd about it, and I heartily agree - esp. with oily standbys peanuts and cashews.

I'm not sure what happens chemically, but it seems like the proteins or oils in the nuts make a lot of the vanillins in bourbon pop-up more than usual - noticeable in the cheaper bottles and across the board - maybe more so in the basics, as we're not expecting much...

Maybe I oughta spend some of my whiskey kitty on some Macadamias...

Anybody know their periodic chart? Any white coats in the house?

Barrel_Proof
01-16-2008, 16:53
Bourbon and Mixed Nuts

And here I thought this was gonna be a thread about the forum and its members! :cool:

Dr. François
01-17-2008, 08:43
Fogfrog had some comments along this line around a year ago:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6819

I would like to add that I feel sorry for people who eschew salt from their diets. As a seasoned cook and unapologetic bon vivant, I find that salt is, more often than not, the make-or-break ingredient in food.
Plus, a quarter of your tongue is dedicated to tasting salt. Don't neglect your tongue!

Rancastle
01-17-2008, 09:13
Fogfrog had some comments along this line around a year ago:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6819

I would like to add that I feel sorry for people who eschew salt from their diets. As a seasoned cook and unapologetic bon vivant, I find that salt is, more often than not, the make-or-break ingredient in food.
Plus, a quarter of your tongue is dedicated to tasting salt. Don't neglect your tongue!

Screw my life long family Dr.!!!!! Dr. are you accepting new patience?:slappin:

Dr. François
01-17-2008, 18:08
Randy,
Go tell your family MD that a PhD in English told you it was all good. :grin: