PDA

View Full Version : Jack or Old Crow

Sycamore Tree
01-16-2008, 17:55
Considering how bad people dislike Jack here, I was wondering if one wasoffered the 2 which way would ya go. Old Crow has such a bad sounding name and is such a bottom feeder ,but it is a bourbon....-would any of you cats jump the border or would you stay in old Kentuck?.

Me: Jack. Only because I haven't had Old Crow and skeered to try it.

OscarV
01-16-2008, 18:01
I'll have an Old Crow over Jack Daniels.
But glad I do have other choices.

Barrel_Proof
01-16-2008, 20:27
About once every 12-18 months or so while traveling in First or Biz class on an upgraded airline ticket, I will ask for a Jack when no bourbon is on board. I've yet to be able to finish a glass. That stuff is just plain VILE. I will, then, politely apologize to the server and ask for a s*@&^#.

BourbonJoe
01-18-2008, 13:41
About once every 12-18 months or so while traveling in First or Biz class on an upgraded airline ticket, I will ask for a Jack when no bourbon is on board. I've yet to be able to finish a glass. That stuff is just plain VILE. I will, then, politely apologize to the server and ask for a s*@&^#.

Holy hell Cliff, that's going from bad to worse. :lol:
Joe :usflag:

nydistiller
01-19-2008, 08:17
Old Crow for sure. Most people buy Jack for the image. It used to be a lot better than it is now. The same goes for Old Crow, but it is just better bourbon.

Barkley
01-28-2008, 23:50
The Crow is a good mixer. Bourbon and Coke. J.D. will impress more people though. For myself, O.C. in a mixed drink.

mozilla
01-29-2008, 07:56
I bought a pint of Crow after a day hunt and that bourbon was very hard to stomach. No flavor, sweetness or style to speek of. Very, very watery and flat. Sad that such an outstanding drink has fallen so far down the list.
As far as JD, I have only purchased one bottle in the past 10 years. The funny thing about that is it was never opened and sits as a collector bottle. JD from 1913 worlds fair or something like that. Not very interested in such a filtered whiskey over some of my favorite pours (non-filtered or lightly filtered).

Virginia_Biker
01-30-2008, 23:09
I'm not pre-disposed one way or the other until my taste buds tell me otherwise. Part of what led me to bourbon was my definite preference for JBW over coke rather than Jack. I'm not a Jack fan...

Dr. François
02-02-2008, 07:55
Fortunately, here in a mid-west college town, I can get a shot of either almost everywhere. I might slip down to a local, awful college bar and do a side-by-side.

Sijan
02-07-2008, 12:59
I would drink Jack. It is nothing special, but Old Crow is pretty foul.

Jane
02-08-2008, 20:02
I would definitely go Old Crow over Jack. It's just a younger Jim Beam. However, Old Crow has the best history (except for maybe Old Taylor) of any bourbon out there. It was THE BEST back in the day. But the recipe is different now and has been for the past 20 or so years.

jbaker
02-09-2008, 22:51
I can't say that I've even see Old Crow (not that I remember) but I would have to pick it over JD. JD has gotten really really expensive lately (my shop sells it for just about $30/750) and I just can't stand it. It's thin, it's bland, it's just not my thing. Not to mention ol' Jack and I got into a fight one night when I was in high school and we never really made up after that. I've tried it again recently, and although the memory of that fateful night has faded, I can't say I like the taste and damn if it doesn't turn to downright gross if you just add ice.

Rughi
02-10-2008, 10:00
I would drink Jack. It is nothing special, but Old Crow is pretty foul.

I'm with Dan.

JD is a proud brand that knows it's customer base and gives them value for their money, even if much of the value for many of the customers feeds off of psychological insecurities (I can become a free spirit by buying JD).

I dislike that Beam has broken down the once proud Old Crow even more than I've disliked the bottlings I've tried of it since the mid '90s. Old Crow was already not the juice that it had been by the time of the sale in '87, but it didn't deserve the indignity of becoming Beam's Bourbon DeLuxe.

Roger

spun_cookie
02-10-2008, 21:16
JD - or Gentleman Jack if that was an option... then again I might just have a glass of water and wait for more options...