PDA

View Full Version : Seattle bourbon sightings

felthove
01-22-2008, 15:01
Went by 4th street today and saw a few new additions to the inventory that was there the last few times I went (in case you're interested):

Vintage Bourbon 17
WTAS
WT Rye
Evan Williams Master's Select Jug
Henry McKenna Single Barrell 10 yr BIB

T47
01-26-2008, 17:15
They also have several bottles of the Russell's Reserve Rye for those who are interested. I don't know if thats what you meant by the WT Rye?

felthove
01-27-2008, 18:24
No, I just meant WT Rye -- didn't catch that the RR bottles I saw were actually the rye and not the bourbon. Hmmm...more to consider.

elkypro
02-02-2008, 12:24
I just went to my store in Tacoma (westgate) yesterday and i was deciding whether to buy a bottle of EC12, and then i thought i would pick up a 50ml of regular jim beam for a little variety since it has been years since i have had jim beam white. But then i looked at the WT101 and noticed it has a free 50ml of WT Rare Breed attached to it. Needless to say I picked that up instead :grin: I have not yet had the pleasure of Rare Breed so i figured why not. There were about 4 or 5 more bottles on the shelf that had the free 50ml attached to it left on the shelf. I dont know about any other stores. Just a heads up guys.

felthove
02-02-2008, 18:48
Thanks. I'm a big WTRB fan. Surprised it doesn't garner more of a following 'round these parts.

T47
02-09-2008, 15:12
The 4th Ave store had 16 Saz. Jr's as of about 2 hours ago. They still have a couple of WTAS's. They had a couple of the Henry McKenna SB, which seems to have become a regular item over the last couple months. I did not see any WTRR Rye left on the shelf. The remainder of the shelves are filled with the usual suspects.

:toast:

felthove
02-09-2008, 19:42
Todd -- you're the man. Thanks so much for the heads up. :cool: There are now 10 left on the shelf.

Ron

felthove
02-09-2008, 20:50
BTW -- I only bought 2. There were 12 left when I called. They held them for me until I can swing by on Wed.

felthove
02-12-2008, 15:00
Just went to pick up my 2 Saz Jr.s and saw one left on the shelf.

Also saw two Berheim Wheat Whiskies and two Ezra B 12yr SBs. There is still WTAS and RR Rye.

They also have a few Weller Antique 107 1.75 liters for $45.00 (it's $26 for the 750 ml).

Shelves are well stocked right now!

drrich1965
02-12-2008, 16:31
Going to be in Tacoma in two weeks, any good bars for whisk(e)y?

Rich

Cornman
02-13-2008, 20:26
I missed out on the Saz Jr. at the 4th Ave store, but I just saw another 36 bottles or so at 23rd and Union. Minus two after I left.

They also have a good stock of Rittenhouse BIB.

T47
02-23-2008, 12:58
I stopped in at the 4th Ave Store today, nothing real exciting, in fact the shelves on the "special order" stand were a little bare.

A couple interesting bits of info however. One of the clerks told me they will be "THE" store in WA that will receive the next release of the BTAC...so we need to stay on top off that.

They are currently out of the Saz Jr but expect another shipment in about 3 weeks.

And I've never noticed the little sign that sits on the post above the special order shelves, it has some Bourbons/Rye listed that they keep in the back...which are Hirsch 16 ($137.88), BMH 23 ($131.55) and WT Kentucky Spirit ($45.60). I asked him why the WTKS was kept in the back and he said for some reason that is a bottle that gets shop lifted more often? Go figure!

T47
03-17-2008, 11:48
Not a "premium" bottle, but the 4th Ave store has Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star. I have never seen that here in WA. I picked up a bottle for $15.85 and look forward to giving it a try.
They have redone the Bourbon shelf that is out away from the wall and it has Bourbon on all four sides now.

felthove
03-17-2008, 12:33
I bought the 10 star there a while back. Decent stuff. Last week I went there and bought 2 OGD BIBs, a EWSB 1998 and a J.T.S. Brown BIB (thanks for the tip, Todd -- I use that as a house mixer).

Their loads come in on Wednesdays so Thursday is the best day to go.

felthove
03-25-2008, 14:59
Went to the E Union store today looking to get more of the Rittenhouse BIB and Weller SR they had last time I went by. All gone. There are still 3 bottles of Baby Saz.

I did buy a 1.75 of Beam Black 8yr. It was on sale for $41 which is pretty good considering that the 750 costs $22. The 1.75 also comes w/ a bottle of Beam steak sauce and bbq sauce.

The Beam black is low on proof at 86 but still is a tasty pour @ $23/liter.

thanson
03-25-2008, 15:38
Last week I picked up 2 bottles of the Vintage 21 Rye at E Union. She ordered one case of six bottles. I don't know if there are any still left.

felthove
03-26-2008, 12:50
Didn't see it.

T47
03-26-2008, 21:31
Some notables at the 4th Ave. store today; four Vintage Bourbon 17, three Jefferson's Reserve (I have never had this?), a couple Hancock's Presidential Reserve (not had this either?), quite a few ETL's and Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star.
It never ceases to crack me up, none of these bottles show up on the State web site. It looks like they went through the Bourbon listings and "cleaned them up", getting rid of many bottles that were listed but no longer available...and obviously neglecting to include many new bottles. It just does not seem like it should be that tough!
I will try and stop by the 12th Ave store and see if they have any surprises, every once in a while they come through.

felthove
03-27-2008, 15:26
There was a new case of Old Charter 10 there today (I picked up 2) and still about 3 of the Weller Antique 1.75's.

felthove
03-28-2008, 07:10
As a follow up, if you haven't tried Old Charter 10 I wouldn't suggest that you make a special trip or grab a whole bunch. I opened mine last night and found it spirity in nature and lacking in any real complexity. It may grow on me but for $17 you could buy Rittenhouse BIB, AAA 10 star or Weller SR and do better.

T47
04-25-2008, 12:34
I just stopped into the 4th Ave Store. The have many bottles of Saz Jr., ETL, and Buffalo Trace. They have a few OGD 114 as well. They still have a couple WT AS.

I thought it was a new bottle, but appears it's just new packaging: Old Forester Signature (100 Proof) $21.60. I have never tried it so I did pick one up along with OGD BIB.

They have restocked the RRWT Rye if your so inclined.

If your an Irish fan, they have a nice load in. The have always had the Michael Collins Blend, they now have the Single Malt which I have not seen there before. They also have have 4 versions of Clontarf (Classic $23.55, Reserve $28.15, Single Malt $32.80 and Blend $23.55).

felthove
05-01-2008, 16:47
I just stopped into the 4th Ave Store. The have many bottles of Saz Jr., ETL, and Buffalo Trace. They have a few OGD 114 as well. They still have a couple WT AS.

I thought it was a new bottle, but appears it's just new packaging: Old Forester Signature (100 Proof) $21.60. I have never tried it so I did pick one up along with OGD BIB.

They have restocked the RRWT Rye if your so inclined.

If your an Irish fan, they have a nice load in. The have always had the Michael Collins Blend, they now have the Single Malt which I have not seen there before. They also have have 4 versions of Clontarf (Classic $23.55, Reserve $28.15, Single Malt $32.80 and Blend $23.55).

I'm heading down there in about 45 minutes. How did you like the Old Forester Signature? I'll let y'all know what's new, etc. at 4th st. tonight or tomorrow. I'm hoping they'll have the OGD BIB back in stock. I'm completely out. I do have two new bottles of Stagg and a Willets to tide me over.

felthove
05-03-2008, 19:20
Nothing special down there now that hasn't been there lately. I made off w/ 3 bottles of OGC BIB. oh yeah -- there's some J.T.S. Brown BIB that is a great house pour if you need one.

T47
06-13-2008, 12:17
Thanks to a nice SB heads up I was directed to the 4th Ave Store where there was a PVW 15 sighting. The store opens at 10:00...my bad I was there at 10:05 only to see this guy standing near the back door with 3 PVW 15 Jewels in his arms, cradling them gently. I walked up and asked the guy behind the door if there was any left only to be told they were all spoken for.
This kind fellow offered me one of his nestled PVW 15's...it was none other than SB's own "thanson". I just could not take one from him. The manager saw me and told me he had 2 on hold for me? So I was able to score some anyhow! thanson is as generous as he is punctual!

thanson
06-13-2008, 16:18
I'm glad you were able to get some. I guess you could sense how conflicted I was :)

T47
08-28-2008, 17:35
If your interested I had the 4th Ave Store get some 100 proof Georgia Moon instead of the usual 80 Proof they stock. I have never had either, but thought if I was going to try one why not the 100. Well they have some in if you want to give it a try....$15.

thanson
11-21-2008, 14:31
I was just at the UVillage store. They had ER17 and Handy. They had sold out of the rest of the BTAC. Still looking for some Stagg...

Cornman
11-29-2008, 19:09
Looks like I got skunked on BTAC this year.
Is there a separate list for this at fourth avenue? I had put my name on the generic "special orders list" some months ago (the clipboard with many wrinkled pages of handwritten requests for vodka and every thing else).

I guess I was just too late.

Any pointers for next year?

Thanks.

T47
11-30-2008, 18:31
My efforts have all seem to fallen on deaf ears at this point. My latest effort will be with Carolyn from the Spokane Manito Center store. She really seems to have a handle on how to order not only the VW's but the BTAC as well. I did get a couple VW's from her but her order of BTAC was all spoken for. She indicated that there was a two week window in Feb. when she needed to complete an order for both, and she tries every day until the State accepts the order? If I get a positive response I will pass it on to all WA folks here. The way it flies of the shelves I am thinking maybe she will tell me there is some certain allotment, or why wouldn't she be ordering more the way it moves?

By the way, I really like the Weller 12 which seems rare out here. The store at 7740 15 NW (Seattle) had a pretty good supply last week if you like that bottle.

I will keep you posted.

thanson
12-01-2008, 10:32
As far as I can tell, 4th Ave didn't get any this year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been there on delivery day for the past 3 weeks. It's possible that they've just stopped trying to get it. It seems to be a big hassle for the managers, and they don't seem to be incented in any way to sell products that their customers want. In fact, apparently they can get dinged if they carry special order items that don't sell within two months.

Sadly, it seems like the only solution is to get on the special order list at any liquor store that does special orders.

T47
12-01-2008, 18:49
Carolyn from the Spokane store explained the ordering a little to me. She has not gotten back on my request that we be allowed to tag onto her BTAC order yet.
She told me there is a two week window in which to order both the VW's and the BTAC. She says that there is no two way communication to let here know when to order, she just knows this two week window seems to exist. She said she puts in the order and the State will respond, "out of stock" over and over again...then finally she gets a response that the order was taken! Must be a pain in the butt for them and it makes no sense to me at all. Anyhow, as soon as I hear anything from her one way or the other I will let you know.

Cornman
12-01-2008, 23:13
Thanks T47 & THanson. I feel your pain.

The info does explain some things. At least it makes me feel very lucky to have gotten the samples I did last year.
I will also let you know if I ever happen to run into a source. And I am glad the local stores stock the specials that they do (including Weller 12!).

T47
12-01-2008, 23:30
OK, here is the scoop for now. Carolyn has 2 bottles of Stagg, 9 of WLW and 6 of the Thomas Handy Rye. I have some bunkered, and quite honestly I am out of $$ for Bourbon for a while. She seems like a very nice gal, and I have sent her an email to let her know I would like to be on the list for next year and that I have let you guys know it's there. I don't know if you have a Spokane connection or not that can pick it up or not? at any rate, she seems willing to put us on her list, and I do get over there once in a while just not in the near future I'm afraid.

felthove
12-03-2008, 10:44
Thanks for the heads up. I was fortunate to find some Stagg on winesearcher.com last week. Blanchard's in MA had some at $59.99/bottle. I have 4 Stagg's coming in through Fed Ex on Friday.

Ron

GOCOUGS2002
12-03-2008, 17:45
OK, here is the scoop for now. Carolyn has 2 bottles of Stagg, 9 of WLW and 6 of the Thomas Handy Rye. I have some bunkered, and quite honestly I am out of $$ for Bourbon for a while. She seems like a very nice gal, and I have sent her an email to let her know I would like to be on the list for next year and that I have let you guys know it's there. I don't know if you have a Spokane connection or not that can pick it up or not? at any rate, she seems willing to put us on her list, and I do get over there once in a while just not in the near future I'm afraid.

Todd, Which Spokane store is she located at? I have family over there.

T47
12-03-2008, 18:47
Its the Manito Liquor Store #181. If you call and talk to the mangaer Carolyn, she will probably set the bottles you want aside.

GOCOUGS2002
12-04-2008, 20:18
Thanks, I'll have my Brother-in-law check it out.

thanson
12-10-2008, 14:34
At 23rd and Union, they have Rittenhouse 80 and 100. I haven't seen these in the state in nearly a year.

They also have one ER17. I saw two more on the shelves at 4th Ave.

Cornman
12-11-2008, 22:37
At 23rd and Union, they have Rittenhouse 80 and 100. I haven't seen these in the state in nearly a year.

They also have one ER17. I saw two more on the shelves at 4th Ave.

Thanks so much! (And I left some of both). Now, if I could just get to Spokane this week . . .

felthove
12-15-2008, 14:06
UW has about 10 6-bottle cases of Baby Saz sitting on the floor right now...

I took the rest of their Rittenhouse BIB but they have 80 proof as well as some WT rye and a couple of ETL.

E.Union has plenty of Rittenhouse 100 and 80 and some ETL and WT Rye too. Also has Michters (not impressed) and some Black Maple Hill small batch.

T47
01-24-2009, 16:23
The 4th Ave store has some Michters 10 ($80) but it does not seem to have the SB recommendations that would warrant the $$ they want. They also have the Michters Rye ($39) and a good supply of Baby Saz ($25).

T47
02-14-2009, 13:33
Just stopped into the 4th Ave store. They have three bottles of ER 17 left ($59). I was surprised to see these on the shelf, nice treat to come home with!

T47
02-18-2009, 18:41
The ER 17 is all gone from the 4th Ave Store. Besides the usual suspects they have Stranahans Colorado Whiskey (not a Bourbon I know) which I have not seen on the shelf before. Of course they do have it intermixed with the Bourbons.

p_elliott
02-19-2009, 03:17
The ER 17 is all gone from the 4th Ave Store. Besides the usual suspects they have Stranahans Colorado Whiskey (not a Bourbon I know) which I have not seen on the shelf before. Of course they do have it intermixed with the Bourbons.

It's amazing what they intermixed with the bourbons, rye's, Tennessee's etc.

2highcal
02-22-2009, 18:48
45th ave NE (UW) still has a couple of bottles of Saz and a few of the Rittenhouse BIB and more 80 proof as well as Michters. I just bought one of the Sazeracs @ 29.95 and the Rittenhouse BIB was 15.95. Thought I would try the more expensive and cheaper rye for my first tasting of ryes.

Buffalo Bill
02-24-2009, 08:03
Is alcohol in Seattle state controlled? BB

tbirdfan
02-24-2009, 22:03
I work at the 4th ave store and we are going to be getting some pappys but i dont know when yet. last shipment our store never recieved any which was very frustrating because everyone was asking for it. The special ordering process for the pappys is difficult because WA state is only allocated a certain number of cases and that has to be filtered to the stores that ordered it. A few years ago we were lucky because the state gave us all the cases for all the stores but that isnt what they are doing any more. Good luck to anybody trying to find some this time around, just keep asking and put your names on the list is all I can recomend! Cheers!

GOCOUGS2002
02-25-2009, 05:06
Is alcohol in Seattle state controlled? BB

Yes, as is all of Washington; we are surrounded by Liquor control states as well...I haven't been up to Canada to see their selection.

bpt
02-26-2009, 17:59
I hope that this doesn't derail this thread too much. I understand the state control thing(kind of). Is there a certain store/stores in Seattle that have a bigger or better selection than others or is it hit and miss with all of them? I have a friend up there who gets alcohol advice from me but he is always complaining about how he can never find the things that he wants. I am asking not only for Bourbon but for others also (esp. Scotch and good Tequila). This would be for him in general and also for me as a future visitor who would hunt down some Bourbon if you all said that there might be something worth finding up there. Thanks.

tbirdfan
02-27-2009, 00:32
Try going to the store on 4th ave. They have more special order items than most stores because they stock them for the bars on the waterfront and pioneer square. Another store would be 12th and pine. Cheers!

bpt
02-27-2009, 16:55
Great, thanks for the tip. I'll pass that along to my friend and see if he knows where those are. I'll let him check for himself and then maybe I'll make a visit as well when I get up there in the summer. Thanks.

T47
02-27-2009, 23:11
Ditto what has been said about the 4th Ave Store. They usually have the best selection of all bottles...not just Bourbon.

I have found some nice bottles at the 12th and Pine St. store and also at the 23 and Union store. There is a store in Spokane (#181) which has had the BTAC as well as PVW 15 and Lot B every year for the last several years. My son is graduating in May so I will loose my Spokane connection, but if you know anyone over there they come through.

CaptainChunk
03-19-2009, 13:39
I am just getting into bourbon so I am looking for a couple more bottles to try out. Being that I live in Tacoma, I thought it might make sense to see what my best options are in the Seattle/Tacoma area are for me.

I currently have a bottle of MM and EC12 and tried some Bulleit at a bar recently. Of those, I enjoy MM the most. The Butteit didn't do much for me and I enjoy EC12.

I'd like to get another bottle or two, but thanks to the WSLCB, it seems the bourbon selection can be kind of limited. Do you guys have any recommendations for me to try that I can actually find in the area? I was thinking about ETL, but don't know if I can find that around here. Thanks for the help.

T47
03-19-2009, 14:43
They have many bottles of ETL at the 4th Ave Store (Store 101) near Safeco in Seattle. If you like MM, I think a great bottle that most stores carry is the Eagle Rare 10, a very smooth drink. The 4th Ave store also had a good suply of Buffalo Trace, another nice pour for a good price. Bakers is another bottle that many WA. stores carry that I enjoy.

Good Luck and Enjoy your research.

felthove
12-08-2009, 13:55
I know the location of some Pappy's right now if you're interested. PM me and I'll let you know what's up. I also have some Stagg I'd consider trading for some Van Winkle.

Ron