PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best low cost rye?

PAspirit1
01-24-2008, 18:06
One of my next purchases will be a lower cost rye. Here is the list of the ones I am considering.

Rittenhouse 100 11.89+tax
Old Overholt 8.69+tax
Saz 6 22.99+tax
Wild Turkey (on sale) 15.99+tax
Pikesville Supreme 10.99+tax
Jim Beam 11.99

I’d be interested in hearing others opinions. Whats the best whiskey and whats the best deal? Is the Saz that much better than the Rittenhouse to justify costing double? Are the premium labels that much better?

Old Lamplighter
01-24-2008, 18:10
From what I have read here, you are right in line with the choices you have listed. WT and Rittenhouse 100 BIB in particular are two that nobody here has been disappointed with over the time in which I have read comments.

If you are considering the Saz Jr, you might want to take a look at something new from WT - Russell's Reserve Rye. However, at $27+, you are moving into the middle price ranges and not the low end. It is 6YO and IMHO very good.

T47
01-24-2008, 18:59
I would cast my vote for the Rittenhouse BIB. I find it to be very full of flavor, yet lacking some of the "harshness" that I have found in other similarly priced bottles.
I think all your bottles are good, and the prices as well, but I am in State controlled WA.
As for the Saz 6 being that much better than the Rittenhouse, I would say from strictly a $$ perspective, not in my book. But do I think it is good and worth the $22.99...Yes. I paid $25 here in WA and I'm not disappointed.

:toast:

burbankbrewer
01-24-2008, 19:42
Also try Michters Straight Rye Single Barrel US1 around the same price as Saz jr. Slightly less alc 42.4 I find these easier to drink and enjoy flavors. Rittenhouse 100 Rye can be pretty intense.

whiskeyhatch
01-24-2008, 20:38
I see some very good info above. I've never tried the Rittenhouse but I've only heard good things about it. I like Old Overholt... it's very cheap but, in my opinion, very good. Saz Jr. and WT Rye are my favorites. I'd like to see how the WTRR rye compares to WT rye.

Cornman
01-24-2008, 21:49
My first pick would also be Rittenhouse. It says Rye with several exclaimation points.

I agree with others that WT and the Saz Jr are great picks, too, even at their higher prices, but I'll also put in a plug for the Pikesville. It is only 80 proof and not the most complex, but it has a very bright and pleasing rye flavor.

Overholt and Beam are the only ones I wouldn't recommend if you are looking for a single one to buy. To me, they are just ok as a novelty. They are also indistinguishable from each other.

HipFlask
01-24-2008, 22:28
Ritt BIB then the WT101.

cowdery
01-25-2008, 03:26
The Rittenhouse is very good, but Overholt (made by Beam) would be hard to beat at that price. Around here it's usually the same or a little higher than Rittenhouse.

cas
01-25-2008, 06:41
The Rittenhouse is pretty hard to beat.
Craig

PAspirit1
01-25-2008, 13:58
Thanks for the replies. I know taste is subjective but I thought it would be interesting to read some other perspectives. I was leaning towards the Rittenhouse. I thought possibly some of its positive talk could have been price or novelty but it seems to genuinely esteemed.

The price on the Old Overholt is a strange anomally. Its cheaper to order it than if you find it on the shelves in PA. You can't even get a drink in a bar for less than maybe 3 or 4$ with tip - that I know of.

mozilla
01-26-2008, 12:24
IIRC, Rittenhouse also has an 80 proof version for those who are not interested in the 100 proof style. I have also tried most of these and found them all to be very drinkable or to use as a base to "Gilmanize" your two favorites. My two that I mix together are the Turkey 101 and OO 80. It makes for a very well rounded dram. Have not had Pikesville or Beam yet.

HipFlask
01-28-2008, 17:18
Mozilla, you will find that JB Rye tastes a lot like OO 80. It has that same mustiness or thickness and reminds me of OGD as well. So if you like OGD you should also like JB Rye.

mozilla
01-28-2008, 18:21
I was told that Beam would soon come out with a higher proof OO. I like the affordability of Overholt and hope that they don't put it in the Small Batch collection, which is a little pricey. Maybe in the price range of Turkey rye ($18)or Bib bourbon($15-17).

Barkley
01-28-2008, 22:28
I've only tried two on the list. WT and OO. The WT was quite good and the OO was good considering the price. I've heard the JB was pretty good but it isn't stocked in Oregon.

felthove
01-30-2008, 14:06
I've had the Pikesville recently (stated to be 3 years old on the back) and didn't care for it straight. Sweet and spirity. Still, I've grown fond of it for a delicious, smooth, and refreshing high ball (mixed w/ 7-up). Will probably buy it again for that purpose due to the low price.

However, it's maybe a dollar cheaper than Rittenhouse so I may just forget what I just said...

Dr. François
02-03-2008, 14:37
I did a rye blind tasting yesterday at OscarV's house. I compared the Saz Jr. to the Rittenhouse BIB. I found the two very distinct.

The Saz has a distinctive Buffalo Trace flavor...I don't know how to describe it other than that. It has the same soft vanilla that I get from BT, Benchmark, OC10, etc. It is spicier than any of the standard bottlings of the above mentioned. The Saz really benefited from some air exposure. Tag line: Soft and Spicy

The Ritt has a proof advantage; you can taste it. I get more of a medicine/cinnamon quality. Tag line: Strong and Spicy.

My bottom line: both are good and both are different than most bourbons. You should have one of these on your bar.
For me, I'm going to replace my bottle of Ritt BIB with a bottle of Saz Jr. Ritt BIB isn't available in MI, and I like the softness/spiciness combo of the Saz.

gothbat
02-03-2008, 22:15
Rittenhouse BIB gets my vote, it's a pretty solid value. The only other low cost rye (<$20) I've had was one I tried for the first time this weekend, OO 80, and I didn't think it was very good. It was drinkable but it tasted and smelled like it had some kind of piney household cleaner in it. 80 proof whiskeys almost always seem so lacking to me.

PAspirit1
02-06-2008, 07:35
It turns out that despite what the PLCB website says, you have to order no less than three bottles when ordering Ritt 100 and pay a small 3-5 $ fee. So, the Rittenhouse is probably out. Bummer.

For some reason I am drawn to one the 11$ bottles (JB, OO or Pikesville.)

cowdery
02-06-2008, 13:58
Pikesville is also Heaven Hill, so it should be close to the Rittenhouse, though it's not available BIB.

PAspirit1
02-06-2008, 18:19
Pikesville is also Heaven Hill, so it should be close to the Rittenhouse, though it's not available BIB.

Thanks. I did not know that.

Old Lamplighter
02-14-2008, 16:53
Anybody know if Pikesville is limited in its distribution? I have never seen it in Tennessee although I suspect it to be available in the middle or eastern portions of the state by perhaps a limited number of retailers. Never seen it in the western section where I move around most of the time.

Seems like we in the west are the 'red-haired stepchild' when it comes to distribution variety in the great state of Taxxessee.:smiley_acbt:

Sorry, no offense intended to those with red hair. My mother and daughter both have red hair so I am a bit more than a novice in that area........well, better leave it at that.

smokinjoe
02-14-2008, 19:38
Anybody know if Pikesville is limited in its distribution? I have never seen it in Tennessee although I suspect it to be available in the middle or eastern portions of the state by perhaps a limited number of retailers. Never seen it in the western section where I move around most of the time.

Seems like we in the west are the 'red-haired stepchild' when it comes to distribution variety in the great state of Taxxessee.:smiley_acbt:

Sorry, no offense intended to those with red hair. My mother and daughter both have red hair so I am a bit more than a novice in that area........well, better leave it at that.

I can't speak for West Tennessee, but you're right that it can be found to your East. McScrooge's in K'ville has it. Cheap too.

Whereas your area may be the "red-haired stepchild" when it comes to current distribution variety, I can speak volumes for the plethora of dusties mined from there! Between TNSQUIRE, TNBOURBON and TROYCE, some absolutely stellar finds have been nabbed in your vicinity.

If you're looking for a Pikesville, I'll try and snag one for you the next time I get to Knoxville. Just PM me if you want to put something together.

Cheers!

JOE

Old Lamplighter
02-16-2008, 05:19
Whereas your area may be the "red-haired stepchild" when it comes to current distribution variety, I can speak volumes for the plethora of dusties mined from there! Between TNSQUIRE, TNBOURBON and TROYCE, some absolutely stellar finds have been nabbed in your vicinity.

You are correct. Over the past few years I have found a fairly good number of dusties in the area as well. Perhaps distribution used to be better than it is now. Anyhow, we are more fortunate than many other states. Also, I suppose we are lucky to be so close to Kentucky.

Martian
02-16-2008, 12:45
Jim Beam Rye, IMHO. Jim Murray gives it 93 pts. in his 2008 Whiskey Bible. I am in good company. He also gives Fleischmann's Rye 93 pts. I would like to try it, but I have never seen it.

Jazzhead
02-17-2008, 02:34
I have an open bottle of Pikesville, which is emptying very, very slowly. The Saz 6 is probably the best of the ones you've listed, although WT rye at $15.98 is a stone bargain.

My regular rye pour for several years now has been seventies-vintage WT Rye, distilled in Maryland, but that's only because I found a bunch of dusties several years ago and bunkered them. I down to just one bottle left, alas. Real Maryland rye - I admit I've been blessed. Great, great stuff. I'll miss it when it's gone.

JeffRenner
02-17-2008, 15:30
Jim Beam Rye, IMHO. Jim Murray gives it 93 pts. in his 2008 Whiskey Bible. I am in good company. He also gives Fleischmann's Rye 93 pts. I would like to try it, but I have never seen it.

Sadly, it is rumored here that Fleishmann's is no longer being made. I am also a fan of it (and JB rye). They were somewhat similar in style, but I think I slightly preferred it to JB.

I used to pick it up in Wisconsin when visiting my sister - less than $20 a "handle" (1.75 liter). But my sister can't find it up there any longer, lending credence to this.

Jeff

Tracy Hightower
02-17-2008, 22:02
I will probably get flamed for this but Old Overholt is not bad in a Sazerac cocktail. I have never drank it neat but I have spent years in New Orleans and if you order a Sazerac Cocktail in any bar in New Orleans it will be made with Old Overholt and they are good.

Flame away guys. :)

Sycamore Tree
02-19-2008, 18:14
Tracy,

Old Overholt is excellent in my opinion, especially for the $$.

Dr. François
02-24-2008, 10:32
Sorry to cross-post, but I bought a bottle of the JB Rye. I couldn't drink it. It was that bad. I'm using it for an aging experiment. So, my rank now goes:

1. Saz 6
2. Ritt BIB
3. Anything else other than JB Rye
4. JB Rye

Ironically, for household cleansers, JB Rye ranks pretty well, just above Pine-sol. It gives the whole house that hard-to-capture boozy smell you find in so many biker bars. :grin:

dave ziegler
02-26-2008, 12:31
IIRC, Rittenhouse also has an 80 proof version for those who are not interested in the 100 proof style. I have also tried most of these and found them all to be very drinkable or to use as a base to "Gilmanize" your two favorites. My two that I mix together are the Turkey 101 and OO 80. It makes for a very well rounded dram. Have not had Pikesville or Beam yet.
I had a great Combo the other night Jeff, Old Overholt Rye and Continental Peanut Lolita mixed on ice very nice the Rye made the peanut flavor jump out at you. Now that I have some Rittenhouse Rye will try it with the Peanut. I am very lucky to have a few cases of this old product of Continental Distilling it is interesting that no one makes a peanut Liquior Continental was the only one to ever make it that I know of and it is great 53 proof made with I am fairly sure for whiskey in the mix some of their Bourbon in it.
Dave Z

CorvallisCracker
02-27-2008, 15:43
Sorry to cross-post, but I bought a bottle of the JB Rye. I couldn't drink it. It was that bad. I'm using it for an aging experiment. So, my rank now goes:

1. Saz 6
2. Ritt BIB
4. JB Rye

Interesting thread. I've been looking for one to vat with some BMH 18. I've had the WT in the past and liked it, but it's kinda sounding like the Saz 6 is the way to go.

As for the vatting, about a month ago I was approaching the end of my second-to-last bottle of Saz 18, and decided to try it alongside the BMH 18 (a 2006 Christmas gift from my wife, still unopened). I opened the BMH and poured some in a small snifter, and did the same with the Saz 18. The BMH was very good, but the charred wood component was just a little more than I like.

So I think I'll get some Saz 6 and experiment a bit.

I've heard the Saz 18 is no longer available. Can anyone confirm this?

Old Lamplighter
02-28-2008, 16:54
I've heard the Saz 18 is no longer available. Can anyone confirm this?

Depends on what year of issue you desire. I still find a number of 06 issues scattered around here and there though most of what you find on shelves now is the 07 bottle. As for 05 back, have not seen any in a while in my ramblings on the road. I am sure there are some out there, somewhere though......dusty treasures now waiting for the right person to come along.

As far as I know, the 08 issue will be on the shelves this coming fall along with the other Antiques.

PAspirit1
02-28-2008, 18:07
I went for the WT rye 101. It was a good deal, 100 proof and Wild Turkey seems to be respected maker of quality products.

I've only had one little pour but my initial impression is very positive.

CorvallisCracker
03-11-2008, 16:51
Saw Rittenhouse BIB for $14 at a local liquor store today. My guess is that the OLCC (Oregon Liquor Control Commission) is closing it out.

At this price, is it a "must buy"?

gothbat
03-11-2008, 19:20
$14 is a good price but I'm not sure it would be a closeout price for that bottle, they sell for $13.50 around here, regular price. For either price (although they aren't so far apart) the bottle is well worth it!

TNbourbon
03-11-2008, 19:28
Saw Rittenhouse BIB for $14 at a local liquor store today. My guess is that the OLCC (Oregon Liquor Control Commission) is closing it out.

At this price, is it a "must buy"?

$14 is a good price but I'm not sure it would be a closeout price for that bottle, they sell for $13.50 around here, regular price. For either price (although they aren't so far apart) the bottle is well worth it!

It's a 'steal' price for that whiskey, whether or not it's a 'good' price (which it is), because Rittenhouse BIB has ALWAYS been under-priced (shhh! :shocked: don't tell Heaven Hill!).
Around here it's $17.99 and tax. And I buy it in multiples when I'm down to my last bottle or two.

CorvallisCracker
03-12-2008, 10:03

Why I think it may be a closeout is because 1) last time I was there (about a month ago) I think it was priced at $19.95, and 2) the price tag attached to the shelf is not the standard OLCC one, but the one usually used on a closeout item, except that the word "closeout" usually appears on it and in this case it doesn't.

Either way, I think I'll scoot over there and grab a bottle at lunch. From what I've read about the stuff in this forum, it's an irresistible QPR.

Thanks.

Virus_Of_Life
03-12-2008, 11:08
Cracker, yes at $14 and no sales tax with the fear of closeout you may want to get 2. I personally am in the very small minority in that I do not love it, but respect it. I'd take Saz or WT over Ritt.

BTW, I was born just down the road from you in Lebanon, lived there till I was 18. Welcome to the board, good to see more Oregonians getting aboard!

TBoner
03-12-2008, 17:59
I'm in agreement that Rittenhouse is good, but not perhaps brilliant. I too prefer WT Rye, but Rittenhouse is a nice change of pace and has a distinct old-fashioned candy note not found in many current whiskeys of any stripe. Its price and lack of ubiquity led to a lot of its appeal, IMO (along with its terrific mixability in traditional whiskey cocktails, which makes it a favorite with many cocktail junkies I know). All of which is to say you should buy 3 bottles.:grin:

CorvallisCracker
03-13-2008, 10:07
Tried the Rittenhouse BIB last night.

Astonishly deep color for a 4yo whiskey. Nose features caramel, oak and hints of orchard fruits and maple. On the palate it's pretty smooth, with caramel corn in front of the rye (making me wonder about the rye/corn ratio). The alcohol is untamed, but a few drops of water brings it under control. The finish is fairly smooth, with some pepper.

It doesn't have the depth or complexity of an older whiskey, but is a good everyday pour, particularly at this price. I'm gonna buy more.

The store had another 6-7 bottles on the shelf, all dusty. It may be different east of the Cascades, but the Willamette Valley is not really bourbon/rye country. I suspect even if I wait a week or two there will still be plenty there when I go back.

gothbat
03-16-2008, 22:04
4yo whiskey.

I was actually searching the site for the age of Rittenhouse BIB and WT 101 Rye and this came up. I then googled and found a page (http://www.drinkshoot.com/2006/12/rittenhouse_rye.html) that said 6 years, can anyone say for sure? I also found that the WT was around 6 years. The reason I was wondering about this is because I'm drinking some WT 101 Rye and to me it tastes younger. The WT 101 Rye is good but at around $22 it almost seems like a bad deal in comparison.

CorvallisCracker
03-17-2008, 11:28
I was actually searching the site for the age of Rittenhouse BIB and WT 101 Rye and this came up. I then googled and found a page (http://www.drinkshoot.com/2006/12/rittenhouse_rye.html) that said 6 years, can anyone say for sure? I also found that the WT was around 6 years. The reason I was wondering about this is because I'm drinking some WT 101 Rye and to me it tastes younger. The WT 101 Rye is good but at around $22 it almost seems like a bad deal in comparison.

It's my understanding that the deal with "bottled-in-bond" is that it must be aged in a federally bonded warehouse under U.S. government supervision for at least four years and bottled at 100 proof.

I suppose it could stay at the bonded warehouse for a period longer than four years.

What I don't know is whether it has to be bottled at the storage facility or can be taken back to the distillery for bottling. If that's the case, then I suppose there's nothing to prevent a distiller from aging it further on their own premises.

gothbat
03-17-2008, 17:34
Yeah, it could definitely sit in a bonded warehouse for more than 4 years, the oldest I've seen was 17 years old. I don't know the answer to your question but my assumption would be that if it were removed from the warehouse and further aged somewhere else then they couldn't call it bonded. As far as going back to the distillery I think that the warehouse, bonded or non-bonded, would be on site at the distillery, at least that's how it was with the few I've read about.

Ubertaster
03-20-2008, 03:58
I buy the Rittenhouse BIB by the case and the Saz 6 by the half dozen. I like the Saz 6 a tad better than the Rittenhouse.

bj

gothbat
03-20-2008, 20:41
I buy the Rittenhouse BIB by the case and the Saz 6 by the half dozen.

You know, before joining this site I would have looked at buying a case of whiskey as insane but now that my obsession has grown it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Aside from the fact that there might be a discount involved buying 12 bottles of something as inexpensive as Rittenhouse actually seems like a good idea considering the fact that there are bottles out there (albeit not many) that just one of would exceed the cost of a case of Rittenhouse BIB. Take something like Rittenhouse 23, the cheapest I can get that for would be around $170 + tax and 12 bottles of regular Rittenhouse BIB would run me around $162 + tax. I'll make no comment as to whether the 23 is worth the money either on it's own or compared to a case of Rittenhouse BIB but it's definitely something to think about.

smokinjoe
03-21-2008, 08:25
You know, before joining this site I would have looked at buying a case of whiskey as insane but now that my obsession has grown it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Aside from the fact that there might be a discount involved buying 12 bottles of something as inexpensive as Rittenhouse actually seems like a good idea considering the fact that there are bottles out there (albeit not many) that just one of would exceed the cost of a case of Rittenhouse BIB. Take something like Rittenhouse 23, the cheapest I can get that for would be around $170 + tax and 12 bottles of regular Rittenhouse BIB would run me around $162 + tax. I'll make no comment as to whether the 23 is worth the money either on it's own or compared to a case of Rittenhouse BIB but it's definitely something to think about.

I fully agree, Goth. (But, my wife still doesn't get my logic! I'll show her your post, to illustrate that I'm not the only one! :D)

:toast:

JOE

gothbat
03-21-2008, 13:41
I fully agree, Goth. (But, my wife still doesn't get my logic! I'll show her your post, to illustrate that I'm not the only one! :D)

It's worth a shot, I don't see why our flawless logic wouldn't convince her! :) Good luck!

cowdery
03-26-2008, 03:50
Many liquor stores also offer the case discount on mixed cases. In other words, buy 12 bottles of anything and you get the discount. Some do, some don't, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

AVB
03-26-2008, 16:02
Here in PA the Rittenhouse 100 is only $11.87 a bottle plus tax........but you have to buy a case. I like the stuff but I don't need 12 of them.

Ryan
03-27-2008, 16:19

1. Saz 6
2. Ritt BIB
4. JB Rye

Ironically, for household cleansers, JB Rye ranks pretty well, just above Pine-sol. It gives the whole house that hard-to-capture boozy smell you find in so many biker bars. :grin:

I have been looking for the Ritt BIB, but haven't found it yet. In fact, most of the stores I go in to give me a funny look when I tell them what I am looking for. However, I do see the JB Rye everywhere, and Dr's post reconfirms my decision not to buy the JB Rye.:grin:

burbankbrewer
03-28-2008, 09:21
I have been looking for the Ritt BIB, but haven't found it yet. In fact, most of the stores I go in to give me a funny look when I tell them what I am looking for. However, I do see the JB Rye everywhere, and Dr's post reconfirms my decision not to buy the JB Rye.:grin:

I would also include Michters US1 Single barrel, about the same price and taste as Saz 6yr, $22-$24 Chicago area. Michters has another higher $ rye but I have'nt tried it yet.

Ryan
03-28-2008, 12:27
I would also include Michters US1 Single barrel, about the same price and taste as Saz 6yr, $22-$24 Chicago area. Michters has another higher $ rye but I have'nt tried it yet.

Now that you mention it I did see Michters at one stop I made. I didn't recognize it and passed it over. I plan on looking for the Ritt BIB at this place again, so I will pay more attention to the Michters this time!

burbankbrewer
03-28-2008, 13:48
Here is a thread for Michters. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2554

Rake
03-31-2008, 01:25

It's around town in most bigger stores, although it seems to be going up a buck every few months. Going rate seems to be about $15.99, although I've seen it up around $20 in some places.

burbankbrewer
03-31-2008, 06:20
Wow, I guess Denver does has it's drawbacks. $11.99 at Binnys in the Chicago area. And the 100 is better than the 80.

Ryan
04-02-2008, 11:03
Wow, I guess Denver does has it's drawbacks. $11.99 at Binnys in the Chicago area. And the 100 is better than the 80.
I went looking for the Ritt this weekend. Both places I know carry it were sold out.:smiley_acbt:

The Ritt was going for $15 and the Mitchners was around $34. Since he Ritt was out I went with the WT Rye at $16.

CorvallisCracker
04-02-2008, 11:30
I went looking for the Ritt this weekend. Both places I know carry it were sold out.:smiley_acbt:

The Ritt was going for $15 and the Mitchners was around $34. Since he Ritt was out I went with the WT Rye at $16.

Well, at least you got a good price on the WT. It's $22 here.

burbankbrewer
04-02-2008, 12:22

I like the Saz 6yr, it's smoother and more aromatic. $22 here.

ggilbertva
04-10-2008, 19:54
My vote would be Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Excellent value.

BourbonJoe
04-10-2008, 20:15
My vote would be Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Excellent value.

The stuff made at 354 or the stuff from 32?
Joe :usflag:

drunkenjayhawk
04-16-2008, 00:59
I have a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB from dsp 354 - I bought it for 17.99 in eastern kansas where I live. Is dsp 354 or 32 the better of the distillierys for this whiskey?

dave ziegler
05-07-2008, 09:40
For me not just because it was a product from when I worked at Kinsey but in pure Flavor taste and Enjoyment Rittenhouse Rye be it the 100 BIB or the flavorful 8o Proof it can not be beat still the best. I would not buy JB Rye but admit their version of Old Overholt would be and has been my second choice!
Dave Z
Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
------------------------------------------------------

mozilla
05-07-2008, 11:11
I have a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB from dsp 354 - I bought it for 17.99 in eastern kansas where I live. Is dsp 354 or 32 the better of the distillierys for this whiskey?

DSP 31 is HH.

Dave, when did HH buy RittenHouse?

dave ziegler
05-07-2008, 13:21
Jeff around Early1980 or a little after that. Bought some Product, Bottles Recipy and Brand neme rights. They quit making Whiskeys for themselves then they quit bottling in 1979 but made some product yet and had lots of Left over tax paid stuff to get rid of that year. I have papers I found there stating thousands of Cases of Product to get rid of they were trying to have the Government give back tax money and turn some into Industrial. They had the stills running down there till 1985 but Whiskey stopped around 1980 and bottling their own product 1979. I will take a look at some of my Papers and see what they had on stock I do know they had 400,000 cases of Amareta Lolita there they were trying to move they had some bad Governors club they wanted the Government to let them redistill. Till 1979 all Rittenhouse Rye was a Continental Product. How long before HH got it up and running after they bought it I do not know and How much Rye by barrel Product they bought if any I do not know but they were distilling and making some whiskeys in Phila for a bit in the early 1980's and selling them to companys besides Making Antifreeze bringing it to Kinsey and bottling it there and Industrial Alcohol, cleaners and other product there hope then was to become like P&G only better because they could make and bottle their own product.
Dave
Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
------------------------------------------------