PDA

View Full Version : Old Grand Dad BiB

Barkley
01-29-2008, 09:24
I am a newbie from Oregon. Last night I enjoyed my first encounter with OGD BiB. Very nice and smooth and my amateur taste buds told me it had a butterscotch or caramel flavor with a bit of cinnamon in there. I have a bottle of EC 12 year I am working on and for now I think WT 101 is my standard goto bourbon.

ratcheer
01-29-2008, 14:31
I would like to try it. I enjoy the 86-proof and I love the 114-proof, but I have never been able to try the BIB.

WT101 is also my everyday pour.

Tim

Dr. François
01-29-2008, 14:56
I got to try the OGD BIB in a bar a few weeks ago. I really liked it. I was then able to compare it to the 86...the BIB wins out, but not by too awfully much. The 86 isn't anything to turn down.

I'm still waiting to try the 114.

Did anyone else notice that OGD is all Billy Bob Thornton's character drank in the movie Bad Santa?

Either way, any orange label beats the JB white label any day of the week.

mozilla
01-29-2008, 15:13
I am of the opposite opinion on the current OGD Bib. I found it way too one dimesional and flat. I did like the fact that it was 100 proof , though. If you ever get the chance to taste some ND OGD, don't miss out. I mixed about 50/50 new and old to make things right.
I would also recommend Old Fitz Bib, Tom Moore Bib or any other Bib as an alternative. All seem to be less expensive than the Beam family.

craigthom
01-29-2008, 18:09
Does the current OGD BIB have that butterscotch note? How old is that bottle? It sounds like ND to me.

felthove
02-01-2008, 21:11
Yes it does have the butterscotch. It opens up as such and then shifts gears into a nice zippy rye finish. I find the butterscotch sort of distracting and obvious at times but in the end I find myself compelled to drink the stuff (for the rye tang). It's just endearing and satisfying IMHO.

Sijan
02-11-2008, 20:09
I really like the current OGD BIB as well

Martian
02-12-2008, 20:34
I have not tried the 86, but I like the BIB more than the 114. The 114 really needs some watering down.

darkluna
02-12-2008, 21:53
OGD BIB is pretty much my everyday bourbon when making Manhattans (which is pretty much everyday). I just think it holds up really well against the sweet vermouth. If I'm just drinking straight bourbon, I usually reach for something a little older.

Sijan
02-13-2008, 08:35
I have not tried the 86, but I like the BIB more than the 114. The 114 really needs some watering down.

I also find the 114 too strong.

stroker394
02-14-2008, 19:05
I found OGD BIB 100 to spicy for my taste. Could have been the rye.

Barkley
02-15-2008, 00:08
Thanks for all the well-informed replies. I did find the Bib to be a little of the one note song but it is a fine note at that. Agree it will probably not be my standard straight pour as it is ony two bucks cheaper than WT101 which is my present favorite. I seem to enjoy bourbons on the rye side at this time. In fact I enjoy an occasional rye whiskey. We only have two or three ryes available in Oregon at this time and the high end is WT which is quite good. Old O.H. is pretty good too, especially for the price. Have heard the JB rye is good but I have never seen it in Oregon.

NorCalBoozer
07-10-2008, 12:46
well i picked up one of these...OGD 100 proof Bonded. started to google it and was surprised that no website came up. then went to Beam global to see that you have to dig into the site to find merely a text listing of the brand being theirs.

I guess the same is true with Old Crow...too bad that they won't/don't market these brands. You can't go into a liquor store without seeing one or the other so it's beyond me why they would at least put a site and build the brands if they have so much distribution....

Greg

shyster512
07-10-2008, 14:03
I bought a bottle of 114 and have been drinking on it for more than a week. I truly like it and the price makes this a quality bourbon-heck it is a quality bourbon at a higher price.

jpact
07-16-2008, 12:30
I'm a big fan of the OGD bonded. I can get it at Dirt Cheap in St. Louis for $13.50 (750ml), so it's actually $5-6 less than WT101 for me. I've been drinking a lot of premium bottlings over the past few years, and this OGD has started a "lower end" revolution for me. (It;s the economy, stupid.) I'm giving everything in the $10-20 range a much closer look and am enjoying the hell out of it. I recenty bought and tried an Old Taylor 6 that is enjoyable, and I have both and Old Charter 8 and an Old Charter 10 on deck. And despite my earlier comment, I'm really digging the WT101 these days.

smokinjoe
07-16-2008, 13:00
I'm a big fan of the OGD bonded. I can get it at Dirt Cheap in St. Louis for $13.50 (750ml), so it's actually $5-6 less than WT101 for me. I've been drinking a lot of premium bottlings over the past few years, and this OGD has started a "lower end" revolution for me. (It;s the economy, stupid.) I'm giving everything in the $10-20 range a much closer look and am enjoying the hell out of it. I recenty bought and tried an Old Taylor 6 that is enjoyable, and I have both and Old Charter 8 and an Old Charter 10 on deck. And despite my earlier comment, I'm really digging the WT101 these days.

YES!!! That's the real beauty of this spirit. Definitely, we love to hit the super premiums, special bottlings, and high dollar bourbons, but the exploration of the multitude of lower-end bottlings is just as rewarding. Diamonds in the rough, as they say.

Make's the journey all that more fun, eh?

:toast:

JOE

Gov
07-24-2008, 18:54
I had some of this with some ice and a cigar earlier today. It was very enjoyable!! Finally, a whisk(e)y that can hold up to a piece of ice in it. I am beginning to think that bourbon is the only whisk(e)y that can hold its own with a piece of ice.

jpact
07-25-2008, 06:48
My father and I did a blind-tasting last night with:

a. Makers Mark
b. Black Maple Hill (8 yr)
c. Old Granddad BiB
d. Old Taylor (6 yr)

:duel:

My rank: c - a - b - d
dad's rank: c - a - d - b

First surprise was how strong OGD turned out to be. It was bigger and rounder than the others. Nice sweetness, nice subdued oak, it had a "darker roast" quality than the others. And a more satisfying and encompassing finish. The side-by-side tasting makes you go "wow." Since I knew which four bourbons we were tasting, and their price points, I was guessing that the "c" would turn out to be the Black Maple Hill.

Makers was a close 2nd favorite, clearly ahead of the other 2. Well balanced, it just perhaps wasn't as intriguing as the OGD. I wonder how much this has to do with the proof? (OGD at 100 and MM at 90 I think.)

We debated the OT and BMH a bit and finally agreed to disagree. While I've been enjoying the OT as an after-work pour, in the side-by-side it seemed dominantly "woody" and the finish left my mouth dry.

And of course the second big surprise was the BMH not even competing with the OGD and the MM. Again, it is a bourbon I've enjoyed in solitude, but this blind tasting gave me some additional insight into what I do and don't like. ("Don't like" sounds harsh, maybe I should say "do like" and "do like more".)

Anyway, the tasting was fun and I've shaped some new opinions.

OGD BiB rocks it hard!

StraightBoston
07-29-2008, 08:13
One thing that may have impacted the results was the variety in mashbills -- Makers as a smooth wheater and OGD as a high-rye recipe may have thrown off your taste buds for the other two. I've discovered a strong variance in recent months in how much I like a certain whiskey based entirely on what order I taste them in. 1792 (high-malt) and Dickel #12 (high-I-don't-know, coconut?) are wonderful to me alone or at the beginning of a flight, but really taste "off" after more traditional bourbons.

Try the tasting again with the BMH and OT first, or put them up against other "standard-recipe" bourbons and see how they fare.

TBoner
07-29-2008, 10:57
Kevin, I concur.

Regards,

funknik
01-20-2009, 20:41
One thing I can say about the OGD BIB is that the later it gets, the better it tastes. Some whiskeys don't 'follow' other whiskeys/food/beer well, but this has a strong enough flavor to come through and be that drink that brings you into the dawn's early light. I think it tastes a little too "herbal" or "medicinal" with a fresh palate, but at the end of the night, it's all butterscotch.

Jono
01-20-2009, 21:54
Andy, do you drink your neat or with some water or ice? I find some ice helps transform it ..I have the 100..it loses some of the roughness and adds some sweetness. It is not a "great" whiskey but it is serviceable.

funknik
01-21-2009, 03:50
I have it both ways....usually end up dropping a cube or two in, though...agree with your assessment.....serviceable, but not great.

ratcheer
01-21-2009, 06:02
I can't get the BiB in my state, but I almost always have a bottle of the 86-proof on hand. At $11, it makes a very nice "well bourbon" for my home. Not ravishingly delicious, but much tastier than other low-priced choices.

Tim

funknik
01-21-2009, 06:26
I can't get the BiB in my state, but I almost always have a bottle of the 86-proof on hand. At $11, it makes a very nice "well bourbon" for my home. Not ravishingly delicious, but much tastier than other low-priced choices.

Tim
That's a great price, Tim....'round here the 86 is $15.99 & the BIB is $17.99...114 is not available. For $17.99 I can also get EC12 or $20 for WT101 both of which I like better than either of those. Hard for me to wanna grab an OGD again when I can upgrade for the same cost...if it was $11, I'd probably stock one.

LarryG
01-21-2009, 07:02
I can't get the BiB in my state, but I almost always have a bottle of the 86-proof on hand. At $11, it makes a very nice "well bourbon" for my home. Not ravishingly delicious, but much tastier than other low-priced choices.I'll keep your post in mind on my next trip to my local ABC store. Last time around, despondently eyeing the meager choices, I decided to try a bottle of Old Charter 8. That was eleven bucks that could have been much better spent ...

Larry

smokinjoe
01-23-2009, 09:55
I'll keep your post in mind on my next trip to my local ABC store. Last time around, despondently eyeing the meager choices, I decided to try a bottle of Old Charter 8. That was eleven bucks that could have been much better spent ...

Larry

You guys in Bama should try the Virgin 7yr 101 bourbon. It's at every ABC store that I've been to in your state. I try and pick up a bottle whenever I'm heading through Alabama. I'm pretty sure it's the same juice as the Old Ezra 7 yr 101, which I have enjoyed for several years now. But, the Old Ezra can be hard to find, so I've gone to primarily picking up the Virgin. Right around $12. It's very tasty.

ratcheer
01-23-2009, 19:20
The Virgin bourbon has been around as long as I can remember. We used to buy it sometimes back in my early college days (very early 70's). We always considered it to be rot gut.

So, I should give it a try?

Tim

mozilla
01-23-2009, 19:39
Tim, the Virgin you had was probably made at Meadowlawn...the current version is a HH distillate. For $12 a 750ml, it is hard to beat. I won't say that it is some of HH finer juice, but again...it's $12. If you like 101 then it will work just fine. I would like to try it's older brother...I think it's 10 yrs? Anyway, there are four different varieties if you can find them.

smokinjoe
01-23-2009, 21:08
The Virgin bourbon has been around as long as I can remember. We used to buy it sometimes back in my early college days (very early 70's). We always considered it to be rot gut.

So, I should give it a try?

Tim

Yes, sir. I highly recommend it. Of course, as always, YMMV!

ratcheer
01-24-2009, 07:38
Ok. If it is $11 or 12, I will try it. If its much more than that, I probably won't.

Tim

leebo
01-24-2009, 13:40
Up here in MA, OGD 114 can be had for about $22. I really like the rye heavy taste. Is the BIB that much different or just a watered down version?

The Boozer
02-14-2009, 06:20
Tried the BiB for the first time in a long time. Was pretty good. Had the 114 a couple of months back and liked it so picked another bottle. The BiB has a nice carmel and butterscoth taste. Agree that it and the 114 both need a little ice to smooth out and open up the taste. Liked the BiB enough that I will trying it and likely keep it on the rotation of my regular pours.
TJ

Hondo
02-15-2009, 06:19
I'm a big fan of OGD BIB... I would like to try the 114 but just haven't gotten around to it just yet. It's defiantly on my "to do" list.

sotnsipper
02-19-2009, 06:34
Up here in MA, OGD 114 can be had for about $22. I really like the rye heavy taste. Is the BIB that much different or just a watered down version?

Not a watered down version at all. It is a totally different bourbon. I really liked the rye spice in the 114. It is a firey bourbon. The BIB was a little smoother. I have only had one bottle of the BIB and was very disappointed in it. I did not find any of the butterscotch or peppermint in it. More like a musty closet taste. I have not revisited in a good long while. I try getting the 114 whenever I see it. It has yet to let me down.