PDA

View Full Version : It's time to say hello....

Jane
02-08-2008, 12:45
Just want to introduce myself. I have been reading (or spying) on straightbourbon.com for months now but never contribute anything. My name is Jane Conner and I work for Maker's Mark. I love this website and have learned so much from it. So thank you!

pepcycle
02-08-2008, 13:02
Jane,
Welcome.

What is your role with Makers Mark?
I attend quite a few Makers eents in Kentucky.

Hope we cross paths soon!!

You'll love it here.

Ed

mozilla
02-08-2008, 13:05
Great that you goined our little discussion. Sounds like you have already started your trip through the bourbon world. What do you do at MM? Which MM is your favorite bottling?
I would like to make it to Lorreto the next time I tour distilleries. I hear that y'all have expanded your oporations a bit.
Hope you post often.

Jane
02-08-2008, 13:07
I'm kind of their Global Brand Ambassador. I was originally hired to work for them in the UK (not the University of Kentucky) but had some Visa issues. So I travel around and do seminars, tastings, etc. Basically my job is to take the Distillery abroad. When I am in town I spend a lot of time at the Distillery. I've always been a big bourbon drinker and I love traveling so it's a pretty natural fit, not to mention my dream job!

jwrussell
02-08-2008, 13:11
Wow, sounds like it! Welcome to the board.

pepcycle
02-08-2008, 13:11
Do you need someone to carry your luggage?

Or perhaps, take notes at a meeting?

Or lie down in a puddle so you can walk over it?

I've got some free time and also enjoy bourbon, occasionally.

Jane
02-08-2008, 13:15
Thanks! That's a nice offer.

To answer Jeff's question. I was in Japan in Sep. last year and got to taste all 3 MM bottlings side by side. I liked the Gold Label (100 proof). I didn't care as much for the black (although the Japanese miss it). And I always love the Red.

mozilla
02-08-2008, 13:16
Are you single?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have not had the 100 proof version. Does it blow the doors off of the regular?

Jane
02-08-2008, 13:18
I thought this board was about bourbon... Ed, what events do you go to?

mozilla
02-08-2008, 13:22
I thought this board was about bourbon... Ed, what events do you go to?

LOL! Yeah, Ed....have some tact already.:slappin:

Jane
02-08-2008, 13:25
It doesn't blow doors off of it. To be honest, it reminds me a little of Pappy 15(with a little less oak) which I think is fantastic.

mozilla
02-08-2008, 13:30
Good to know. I hope you enjoy your time here with all the crazies. Don't hesitate to keep us up to date with the MM hapenings.

Jane
02-08-2008, 13:33
Thanks Guys! If anyone's killing time I have a question:

What's the the most disappointing bourbon you've ever had (and you can say MM)?
And what's the most pleasant surprise?

mozilla
02-08-2008, 13:39
There is a post that is at least 3 pg.s long regarding disappointments in the bourbon world.
The most pleasant surprise for me was HH's Bib line and a bottle of J.W. Dant 1990 Bib. Very full flavored and satisfying pours.

Jane
02-08-2008, 13:43
I haven't tried J.W. Dant. I'll check out the post of disappointments. Thanks for the advice!

pepcycle
02-08-2008, 13:44
My favorite events are associated with the Maker's Mark Mile.
I go to the bottle signing, track, party and distillery. I usually have brunch at my house.
I've been a guest at the Oaks Brunch.

I attend most ambassador events in the area including football tailgating, Christmas candlelight tours, dinners, tastings and just about every benefit event. I think I was the only one to attend Hydroplane races that MM sponsored in Louisville.

Great folks. Emily, Ginger, Dave, Bill and all the Whiskychicks.

Ed

jburlowski
02-08-2008, 13:56
Thanks Guys! If anyone's killing time I have a question:

What's the the most disappointing bourbon you've ever had (and you can say MM)?
And what's the most pleasant surprise?

Check here:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7888

Jane
02-08-2008, 13:58
Do you ever go up to Turfway? Ginger does this horseracing event and it's a great time. Similar to Mile. Speaking of, Mile is going to be a blast this year! Although I'm sad to say, Emily won't be there. She's having a baby next month.

pepcycle
02-08-2008, 14:30
Turfway always conflicts with another annual event.
I've never been.

I will miss Emily for this year's MMM.

I'll send her my regards and good wishes.

HighTower
02-08-2008, 14:54
Jane!! Welcome to the forums!!
About time you joined up!!

Cam and I had the pleasure of meeting Jane when she was in Australia last year...when are you coming back here gorgeous???:grin: We can party like its 1999.

Good to have you on board!

P.S. Have you heard anything of Bill coming out here?

Cheers

Scott

smokinjoe
02-08-2008, 15:02
This now has to be an SB.Com record for fastest to 20 posts to a new member! And, well deserved. It's always good to have "insider" folks around. Welcome, Jane! At least no one has asked for any MM freebies....yet. :grin:

Cheers!

JOE

HighTower
02-08-2008, 15:13
Welcome, Jane! At least no one has asked for any MM freebies....yet. :grin:

JOE

PM sent.
:lol:
Just kidding!

Scott

camduncan
02-08-2008, 16:06
Hi Jane, welcome to sb.com.

It was great to meet you last year when you were in Brisbane, Australia.
Scott and I had a great evening talking all things bourbon with you.

cheers,
Cameron

Jane
02-08-2008, 18:58
Hi Scott and Cam!

Unfortunately, I won't be back to oz for a while. I haven't heard anything about Bill coming out. If I were guessing (and this is purely guessing), someone from the distillery will come out some time this year. How is Oz? What bars are doing well in Brisbane? I saw Jim Beam and coke in a can for the first time in Kentucky last week. It made me miss Australia! When are you two getting to Kentucky?

StraightBoston
02-08-2008, 20:54
Welcome Jane--

Sorry to hear you're not a fan of the black label -- it is one of my favorites, and I miss it (on behalf of the Japanese) whenever I travel to Tokyo. (In fact I think it's in my avatar with other export-only bottlings.) I ran through quite a few bottles when it was the duty-free selection at Narita -- now I have to ration my last two.

Recently procured a gold wax 101 proof on the, er, secondary market (never having grabbed a bottle in the stores when available.) I haven't yet had a chance to crack the seal (and break the hearts of MM bottle collectors) to do a vertical tasting.

Am I correct that neither of the higher proof expressions (black nor gold wax) are currently being marketed?

camduncan
02-08-2008, 22:16
Hi Scott and Cam!

Unfortunately, I won't be back to oz for a while. I haven't heard anything about Bill coming out. If I were guessing (and this is purely guessing), someone from the distillery will come out some time this year. How is Oz? What bars are doing well in Brisbane? I saw Jim Beam and coke in a can for the first time in Kentucky last week. It made me miss Australia! When are you two getting to Kentucky?

Hi Jane, I should be in KY in late April for the Sampler. We are staying in Bardstown for 5 days and are planning to do the Bourbon Trail which will take us to Makers Mark :grin: :grin: :grin:

Oz at the moment is bloody hot with a lot or rain this year. Byblos and The Bowery are still the bars of choice as far as I know (we're not out much whilst saving for our trip)... And yes, despite the stigma they carry, those bourbon and coke cans are definately refreshing in this heat:cool:

jbaker
02-09-2008, 21:41
Welcome Jane! The more insiders we have, the better (hopefully!).

I must admit, I too "spied" on the forums before joining. Unfortunately, I have no such insider status....:frown:

SBOmarc
02-10-2008, 10:46
Thanks! That's a nice offer.

To answer Jeff's question. I was in Japan in Sep. last year and got to taste all 3 MM bottlings side by side. I liked the Gold Label (100 proof). I didn't care as much for the black (although the Japanese miss it). And I always love the Red.

My biggest quarrel with MM is that I can't get anything except the 90 proof red wax bottle. I have to go overseas in order to get anything else and that's just wrong, very wrong.

jbaker
02-10-2008, 10:59
My biggest quarrel with MM is that I can't get anything except the 90 proof red wax bottle. I have to go overseas in order to get anything else and that's just wrong, very wrong.

I second this sentiment.

OscarV
02-10-2008, 11:21
Yes, Maker's Mark has let down a lot of SB.com members.
The most common complaint seems to be that it is not what it used to be.
Keeping up with their success has led to failures for us in the form of higher proof distillation and shorter aging time which is reflected in the taste.
When Beam Global gets the 3rd still up and running maybe Maker's can go back to Mr. Samuels dream of producing a fine wheated bourbon of the likes that he learned from Julian Van Winkle.

pepcycle
02-10-2008, 12:26
Ease up you guys.

You're jeopardizing my shameless attempt at getting a part time position as a MM International Go-Fer. .:rolleyes:

I think MM has a fine marketing plan and its just fine with me how they've approached it. You can't argue with success.

With all the great whiskey available, missing out on Black Label or 101 MM is the least of my worries.

Now, where is that elusive Willet Pot Still??

HighTower
02-10-2008, 13:30
And don't beat yourself up for not being able to get the Black wax 95 proof or the Gold wax 101 either, as they are both now out of production. The black wax stopped being produced 3-4 years ago and the gold wax even longer.

Jane, maybe you could tell Dave P that the people of SB.com would like to buy a 15yo barrel of Makers and have it bottled at 101 proof :grin: dipped in silver wax.
The follow up barrel, bottled at barrel proof, would be gold wax.

Scott

HighTower
02-10-2008, 13:33
And maybe Bill should consider another red/white/blue bottle with the Australian flag on the label, or maybe just some marsupials.

I would be good for at least 3 of them. And I know Jim's son Alex would want one if there was a wallaby on the front!!

Scott

jbaker
02-10-2008, 13:36
When Beam Global gets the 3rd still up and running maybe Maker's can go back to Mr. Samuels dream of producing a fine wheated bourbon of the likes that he learned from Julian Van Winkle.

This may be a dumb question, but is MM a Beam product now?

Rock
02-10-2008, 13:37
Well, I too am a new posterthat has "spied", or better yet, "educated myself", for a few months before breaking the ice.

First, thanks to all of you for that education. Becuase of you I have discovered Lot "B", PVW 23 and others.

Second, I will be in Ky. for the MM party and am looking for advice as to where the "real" party is.

Third and last, is there anyone else from the Toledo, OH area here and do they have a favorite place to enjoy a glass?

Rock

OscarV
02-10-2008, 13:42
Jane, maybe you could tell Dave P that the people of SB.com would like to buy a 15yo barrel of Makers and have it bottled at 101 proof :grin: dipped in silver wax.
Scott

Excellent idea HighTower!
Put me down for at least 2 bottles of each.
I mentioned in another thread that MM might look at the PR success Four Roses got with it's JR40th Barrel Proof release. This could go a long way in creating a positive buzz in the bourbon world, at least in our part of that world.

Jane
02-11-2008, 06:49
This may be a dumb question, but is MM a Beam product now?

No. We are owned by the same company that owns Jim Beam but we are not a Beam product. Both are made independently. It's confusing I know.

Jane
02-11-2008, 06:52
I'll be sure to pass that along to Dave. Don't hold your breath though. And as far as telling Bill you want a marcupial bottle. Never going to happen. :grin:

And don't beat yourself up for not being able to get the Black wax 95 proof or the Gold wax 101 either, as they are both now out of production. The black wax stopped being produced 3-4 years ago and the gold wax even longer.

Scott

HighTower
02-12-2008, 03:42
I'll be sure to pass that along to Dave. Don't hold your breath though. And as far as telling Bill you want a marcupial bottle. Never going to happen. :grin:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants a marsupial bottle.......

:grin:

Scott

ACDetroit
02-18-2008, 16:18
Hey Scott what if they make the marsupial bottles in 375ml and call them Joey's :lol: ! Will that work for ya??

Tony

HighTower
02-18-2008, 23:22
Hey Scott what if they make the marsupial bottles in 375ml and call them Joey's :lol: ! Will that work for ya??

Tony

Maybe a 750mL Wallaby bottle with green and gold wax, and a 50mL "joey" bottle attached. Maybe even a matching cigar!:grin:

Scott

Jane
02-25-2008, 12:55
Maybe a 750mL Wallaby bottle with green and gold wax, and a 50mL "joey" bottle attached. Maybe even a matching cigar!:grin:

Scott

I'm definitely passing this idea along!!! :lol:

NickAtMartinis
02-25-2008, 13:12
I don't remember my introductory thread getting this much attention.:bigeyes: It just goes to show I should have signed up as a female.:grin:

Jane
02-25-2008, 13:21
I don't remember my introductory thread getting this much attention.:bigeyes: It just goes to show I should have signed up as a female.:grin:

Is that what it is? Not a lot of female activity on this site?

NickAtMartinis
02-25-2008, 13:25
Is that what it is? Not a lot of female activity on this site?

Surely, I was jesting. But I'm sure you've heard the saying: Many true words are said in jest.:lol:

There are a few females peppered about this board in a sea of salt.:grin:

Me thinks you're a bit of an anomoly - on this site - in another way as well. Based on that tiny little picture below your screen name, you appear to be a young(er) female. You're bucking the system G.I. Jane. ;)

Jane
02-25-2008, 13:34
Surely, I was jesting. But I'm sure you've heard the saying: Many true words are said in jest.:lol:

There are a few females peppered about this board in a sea of salt.:grin:

Me thinks you're a bit of an anomoly - on this site - in another way as well. Based on that tiny little picture below your screen name, you appear to be a young(er) female. You're bucking the system G.I. Jane. ;)

Glad to mix it up a bit! A couple of guys I met in OZ introduced me to this site.

NickAtMartinis
02-25-2008, 13:40
Glad to mix it up a bit! A couple of guys I met in OZ introduced me to this site.

Well, welcome to the dorkhood.:lol:

Just about everyone is pretty cool on this site. There is a chat, not sure if you're aware. It's called "The Gazebo." You will see it with all the forum links, it's at the very top. Guys go in there from time to time to chat.

Well, I see you found the chat. :D

pepcycle
02-26-2008, 08:42
Is that a Harley Bottle in your Avatar?

A rare one indeed.

HighTower
02-29-2008, 04:47
oh, so now we're just "a couple of guys". Thanks Jane :lol:

camduncan
02-29-2008, 13:32
oh, so now we're just "a couple of guys". Thanks Jane :lol:

Jane, didn't they teach you any Aussie when you where here?
You should have said "a couple of blokes". :slappin: