PDA

View Full Version : Belated hello

F399SF
02-11-2008, 19:32
I've made a few posts around here without introducing myself. I fell in love with bourbon about a year and half ago. I started out with Manhattans with low quality well bourbon (Colonel's Pride) until my favorite bartender took a shine to me and moved upscale, but it was a particularly good bottle of Woodford that bit me for good. I'm a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA.

I unloaded the closet tonight and took a picture for the express purpose of this thread:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/F399SF/DSC_0426.jpg

(Those Staggs are my babies!) I've learned a lot from you all and love seeing all the dusty finds you guys can score. It makes me wish I wasn't in ABC land. One thing I've come to kick myself over: passing up Wild Turkey 12 year old on my last spring break cruise. Life lesson learned!

ggilbertva
02-11-2008, 22:23
Welcome to SB.com. Your picture shows you have good taste in bourbon. I too live in VA and try not to let the fact that VA is an ABC state stop me from getting the rare or hard to find bottles. I've done plenty of hunting in D.C. and MD. Also, check with your local ABC manager as they may be able to help you with bottles that aren't typically on the shelf. For instance, I walked into an ABC a couple of weeks ago and they had current production Old Fitz Prime 80....it was a special order the customer never picked up. I've also seen a stray Weller and such...again as special order. Your pictures shows a number of high end bourbons. The ABC carries some very nice bottles that you may want to add to your collection.

Fighting Cock - good lower shelf bourbon at 103 proof. Around $16

Van Winkle Lot B - A little more expensive but still worth the price. $42

AAA 10 year - you may still be able to find the stray bottle or so on the shelf as they don't make the 10 year anymore, only the 10 Star. Around $12

An odd bottle you don't see very often is Old Bourbon Hollow. It's a BIB and runs around $13.

smokinjoe
02-12-2008, 08:21
Crikey!! When I was in college, my closet was filled with dirty socks, not great bourbon like that. Nicely done!! I thought I was living large back then when I sprung for a bottle of Kessler's. :o

Welcome!

JOE

doubleblank
02-12-2008, 09:14
Me too Joe......Kessler's blended was the only whiskey I could afford to drink. Plus, if I had that much good stuff in my dorm room, my "drinkin buddies" would have emptied me out the first night I studied late at the library.

Welcome to the site.

Randy

Sijan
02-12-2008, 09:30
Welcome from a fellow Virginian! That's quite a collection for an undergrad. I had accumulated a pretty impressive collection by my second and third years of law school, but didn't even drink bourbon in undergrad.

F399SF
02-12-2008, 11:07
Crikey!! When I was in college, my closet was filled with dirty socks, not great bourbon like that. Nicely done!! I thought I was living large back then when I sprung for a bottle of Kessler's. :o

Welcome!

JOE

Haha, there's plenty dirty socks to be found in there as well. Thanks for the replies, guys.

Oh, I should add that I bought a mini of the Fighting Cock last summer and have been meaning ever since to get a bottle. I loved it. I'll keep my eyes open for the others you mentioned. I do find some surprises every once in a while.

spun_cookie
02-13-2008, 16:28
Nice collection.. welcome to the group... I think a toast with some Staggs is in order...