PDA

View Full Version : EC 18

IrishRob
02-10-2008, 14:43
I could use so help as I'm new here
I have tried 3 different bottles of Elijah Craig 18 year
The first one I no longer have the bottle but can remember how bad it was to me
my friend really liked it So I got her another bottle is was no where close in taste 2nd bottle
was barreled on 8/25/89 barrel # 2141 this one I liked & so did she
3rd bottle was again different she did not like, I thought it was ok
this one was barreled 2/28/80 barrel # 281
we tried then side by side and they are not even close
any help here would be appreciated

spun_cookie
02-10-2008, 16:16
ooooh... barrel strength MM would be nice... just take it from the stock the Gold Wax for Japan comes from :grin:

spun_cookie
02-13-2008, 17:40
Very Strange... I left the above response to a different post... sorry.. :skep:

.. but, the question at hand is not uncommon... I have had four bottles at my disposal and 3 where great.... one was very poor...

EC18 might very more than any of the other pseudo higher end bourbon I have had.... I have found that folks getting the EC18 east of the Rockies have not been pleased, but the folks that have gotten theirs in the SW have been very pleased.. the one off bottle I had came from New England...

Old Lamplighter
02-14-2008, 16:41
Love the EC12 but have stayed away from 18 for reasons cited. Seems like every bottle is like rolling the dice......kind of like Momma Gump's box of chocolates. In the $40-50 range, I would rather stick with a sure thing like Pappy 15 or WTKS.

dcb
03-11-2008, 08:19
I'm relpying to the most recent thread about EC18 instead of starting a new one... anyway, I opened what I think is my fifth bottle of this a few days ago (it was on sale for $24 a few months ago so I've been drinking it a lot lately), and I've finally discovered what everyone's been talking about. The variation, I mean. This one I just opened has a HUGE rye flavor, way more than any other bottle I've had before and I was really struck by the difference.

I'd also point out that every bottle I've had of EC18 I've really enjoyed, despite the woodiness of it. This latest has big oak taste as well, but the rye caught me completely by surprise when I had my first sip. My wife was like :skep: , but I kept saying out loud how different it was. Anyway, the variation doesn't bother me, I guess now that I've tasted a huge range of flavors from the bottles and have liked them all, I think it *is* like Gump's chocolates, in a good way. I don't know the barrel #, I'm at work at the moment, it was in the 2100's I think. August of '89 I believe.
-dave

JamesW
03-11-2008, 09:25
I'm relpying to the most recent thread about EC18 instead of starting a new one... anyway, I opened what I think is my fifth bottle of this a few days ago (it was on sale for $24 a few months ago so I've been drinking it a lot lately), and I've finally discovered what everyone's been talking about. The variation, I mean. This one I just opened has a HUGE rye flavor, way more than any other bottle I've had before and I was really struck by the difference.

I'd also point out that every bottle I've had of EC18 I've really enjoyed, despite the woodiness of it. This latest has big oak taste as well, but the rye caught me completely by surprise when I had my first sip. My wife was like :skep: , but I kept saying out loud how different it was. Anyway, the variation doesn't bother me, I guess now that I've tasted a huge range of flavors from the bottles and have liked them all, I think it *is* like Gump's chocolates, in a good way. I don't know the barrel #, I'm at work at the moment, it was in the 2100's I think. August of '89 I believe.
-dave

Betcha bought that bottle in a NH liquor store.... that's where I got my first (and last) EC18 for $24 right after new years '08 while passing through NH. I have to say the wood is extreme and entirely unpleasant. I vatted my last third of this bottle with a 1/2 btle of Beam black that I had around and it is still unpleasant, but ok for cooking etc...
I don't know how they got so much wood in there because I love the Pappy 20 and 15 and people think they have wood too but its very pleasant to me in these offerings.

In that price range I'd get the Weller Antique 107 for $19, best bargain I've found.

melting
03-13-2008, 16:50
I got mine up in New Hampshire at the same time as the price couldn't be beat. I've seen it offerend here in Massachusetts for as much as $54.00. NH ran the sale and I bought as much as I could reasonable afford. I've opened two of the bottles and you're right about the heavy rye influence. Both had it and that's fine with me. I love rye and love EC 18, especially at $24.00.

Chris