PDA

View Full Version : What bourbon have you vowed never to drink?

NickAtMartinis
02-19-2008, 10:01
Just curious. It can be something you've tried and cannot stand. It could be that you have a grudge against a distillery or third party supplier :lol:, heard bad things about a certain bourbon, etc.

For me, there are quite a few.

Here's my list:

Basil Hayden
Bakers
Bulleit
Corner Creek
Noah's Mill
Rowan's Mill
Pure Kentucky XO
Kentucky Vintage
Any Evan Williams Single Barrel
Ezra B
Old Pogue
Virginia Gentlemen
Woodford Reserve, et al.
Jefferson's Reserve
Ridgemont Reserve 1782
Any bourbon that has "Reserve" in the title" :slappin:

How about yourself?

heatmiser
02-19-2008, 10:27
Any bourbon that has "Reserve" in the title

Guess that means you do not care to try most of the Van Winkle line then... :grin:

I come from the camp that is always willing to try something out at least once. With this said, most of the whiskies on your list I did not enjoy outside of Bakers. I think Bakers is a good bourbon and, as a bonus, is readily available at most bars and restaurants.

spun_cookie
02-19-2008, 10:45
Bulleit
Corner Creek
Jefferson's Reserve
Jim Beam Green
Jim Beam Wite if I can avoid it
Wild Turkey 80
Woodford's Four Grain

I'm sure a few others I am missing...

ILLfarmboy
02-19-2008, 11:05
Woodford Reserve
Bakers
Basil Hayden
Old Forester/Birthday bourbon

ILLfarmboy
02-19-2008, 11:22
I'm curious, Mark. Why did you include "Any Evan Williams Single Barrel" in your list.

I must admit my experience with this bourbon is limited. Several years ago I bought several bottles of the '94. One of the bottles seem to go sour. I left a mere two fingers in the bottom of the bottle for many mouths. When I pulled it out from the back of the hutch it had changed, and not for the better. That's the only time I've had something like that happen. I haven't sworn off other bottles or vintages, I've Just neglected to purchase any more.

NickAtMartinis
02-19-2008, 11:30
I'm curious, Mark. Why did you include "Any Evan Williams Single Barrel" in your list.

I must admit my experience with this bourbon is limited. Several years ago I bought several bottles of the '94. One of the bottles seem to go sour. I left a mere two fingers in the bottom of the bottle for many mouths. When I pulled it out from the back of the hutch it had changed, and not for the better. That's the only time I've had something like that happen. I haven't sworn off other bottles or vintages, I've Just neglected to purchase any more.

Brad,

A few months back I purchased, on a whim, a bottle of EWSB 1997. From the first sip, I did not like it. Not too recently, I revisited it and while I thought it was better, it certainly wasn't good, in my opinion, and as a result I will never purchase it again.

I'm not really one to give a bourbon a second chance by wasting money to purchase another. If I didn't like the first bottle, I won't bother to try another. Such is the case with EWSB.

Of course, it's a matter of preference. Many people here seem to enjoy it.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Mark

ILLfarmboy
02-19-2008, 11:33
It does answer my question. I thought perhaps you had an experience similar to mine.

NickAtMartinis
02-19-2008, 11:51
It does answer my question. I thought perhaps you had an experience similar to mine.

No, I didn't like it right off the bat. Also, why 86.6?!

So yours went sour? It actually tasted sour? Yikes!

OscarV
02-19-2008, 13:12
You have a lot of KBD's on your list Nick.
I am with you and if you have never had it before don't try Johnny Drum 8yo.
I'll never drink it again, it has the taste that only a beaver could love.

NickAtMartinis
02-19-2008, 13:15
Guess that means you do not care to try most of the Van Winkle line then... :grin:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

NickAtMartinis
02-19-2008, 13:16
You have a lot of KBD's on your list Nick.
I am with you and if you have never had it before don't try Johnny Drum 8yo.

:slappin::slappin::slappin::slappin:

Oscar, check out my revised list:

Basil Hayden
Bakers
Bulleit
Corner Creek
Noah's Mill
Rowan's Mill
Pure Kentucky XO
Kentucky Vintage
Johnny Drum
Any Evan Williams Single Barrel
Ezra B
Old Pogue
Virginia Gentlemen
Woodford Reserve, et al.
Jefferson's Reserve
Ridgemont Reserve 1782
Any bourbon that has "Reserve" in the title. :slappin:

Mark

felthove
02-19-2008, 13:28
Why is Baker's on your list? Do you feel the prices is inflated? I find it to be pretty tasty stuff, myself.

nickynick
02-19-2008, 13:58
Brad,

A few months back I purchased, on a whim, a bottle of EWSB 1997. From the first sip, I did not like it. Not too recently, I revisited it and while I thought it was better, it certainly wasn't good, in my opinion, and as a result I will never purchase it again.

I'm not really one to give a bourbon a second chance by wasting money to purchase another. If I didn't like the first bottle, I won't bother to try another. Such is the case with EWSB.

Of course, it's a matter of preference. Many people here seem to enjoy it.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Mark

Have you only had the 97 EWSB? Because it has a huge difference from the others. Mainly it was distilled at the JIm Beam Clermont location. Post HH Fire of 96. The 95, and 96 versions are much different. It all a matter of preference, I'm not telling you what to like. But if you have only had the 97 I don't think that is a fair representation of EWSB IMO. For me EWSB is one of my favorites.

camduncan
02-19-2008, 14:43
Have you only had the 97 EWSB? Because it has a huge difference from the others. Mainly it was distilled at the JIm Beam Clermont location. Post HH Fire of 96. The 95, and 96 versions are much different. It all a matter of preference, I'm not telling you what to like. But if you have only had the 97 I don't think that is a fair representation of EWSB IMO. For me EWSB is one of my favorites.

They also change the flavor profile every year. Each vintage is selected to be different. I loved the 93, disliked the 94, enjoy the 95 and have yet to try a 96 or 97.

ILLfarmboy
02-19-2008, 14:56
They also change the flavor profile every year. Each vintage is selected to be different. I loved the 93, disliked the 94, enjoy the 95 and have yet to try a 96 or 97.

I was unaware of that. I thought, much like Stagg, they try to keep the profile fairly consistent. So what your saying is its more like B-F Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, in that they "target" a different profile every year.

NickAtMartinis
02-19-2008, 14:58

Nick, I remember reading about the fire. Is there that much of a difference between a post-1996 EWSB and pre-?

NickAtMartinis
02-19-2008, 15:00

I would find that to be a bit frustrating. So basically it's hit or miss! That's stinks. I want to know what I'm buying before I buy it. If I liked a prior bottle then I'd expect to like the next offering. To not would be dissapointing. Where's the QA?

TNbourbon
02-19-2008, 15:24
None.
How would I know if something has gotten better or worse? Seems like such a vow would be a good way to miss some pretty good pours.
(I note your premise states "drink", not "buy". There are plenty of bottlings I won't buy again in their current forms. But, if offered on someone else's nickel, I'm not likely to turn any down.)

NickAtMartinis
02-19-2008, 15:59
But, if offered on someone else's nickel, I'm not likely to turn any down.)

Good point, Tim.:grin:

brian12069
02-19-2008, 17:29
Two come to mind for me. Basil Hayden, and Elijah Craig.

Sycamore Tree
02-19-2008, 18:10
Nick, that list is too long. Perhaps you don't like bourbon that much. I typically won't drink Bourbon shelved below my knee. However, friend, they all pretty much drink. And I do remember a bottle of Bourbon Deluxe, that tasted fine.
I'll pretty much drink any bourbon given to me, but will not buy Bourbon below my knee and Basil Haydens. Everything else is fair game for my dollar.

Old Lamplighter
02-19-2008, 18:27
At one time in my life, I could have authored a list similar to that of Nick. However, the graying of hair and fortunate passage of time upon this earth thus far have allowed me to consider and try much from top shelf to bottom. That being said, I have not tasted nor do I plan to test the fates with Old Crow.

You never know where the road of life leads, but, if I were ever fortunate to find any of the real, old, genuine Old Crow......well, then I would have lied by what I just said in the previous paragraph.

camduncan
02-19-2008, 18:34
I was unaware of that. I thought, much like Stagg, they try to keep the profile fairly consistent. So what your saying is its more like B-F Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, in that they "target" a different profile every year.

From my reading of threads here over the years, that sounds right. I can't remember the exact terminology thought.... It's sort of like they keep the same profile, but target specific flavor charactaristic each vintage.

Personally, I'm divided on this type of initiative. On the one hand, I get to taste different charactaristics that the Master Distiller identifies each year. On the other hand, I can't go out and buy a previous vintage I enjoy any time.

NickAtMartinis
02-19-2008, 18:56
From my reading of threads here over the years, that sounds right. I can't remember the exact terminology thought.... It's sort of like they keep the same profile, but target specific flavor charactaristic each vintage.

Personally, I'm divided on this type of initiative. On the one hand, I get to taste different charactaristics that the Master Distiller identifies each year. On the other hand, I can't go out and buy a previous vintage I enjoy any time.

Why throw many at an ever changing product that you may or may not like when you can buy something that is consistent in flavor profile that you like very much.

That's my thought anyway.

NickAtMartinis
02-19-2008, 18:56
Nick, that list is too long. Perhaps you don't like bourbon that much. I typically won't drink Bourbon shelved below my knee. However, friend, they all pretty much drink. And I do remember a bottle of Bourbon Deluxe, that tasted fine.
I'll pretty much drink any bourbon given to me, but will not buy Bourbon below my knee and Basil Haydens. Everything else is fair game for my dollar.

Mr. Tree,

Bourbon is my friend.

Regards,

Mark

:grin:

MrAtomic
02-19-2008, 22:41
Well,

I think I approach bourbon a bit differently than you, Nick (and I'm not claiming that "my way" is correct). Rather than making a list of whiskeys that I don't want to try, I guess I try to sample as many as possible, and only then decide which ones I like and which ones aren't my thing. Actually, it took multiple tastings, and in some cases almost an entire bottle, before I grew to appreciate three of my favorite whiskeys (OGD 114, Spring 1990 OFBB, and Ardbeg). I've gone through a couple of bottles of Elijah Craig 12 and sometimes it strikes me as a beautifully balanced drink with fantastic vanilla notes, and other times it's dominated by a flavor that I can only describe as "underside of bottlecap." I can't explain it, but when it's good I like it so much that I'll probably keep buying a bottle now and then.

SBOmarc
02-19-2008, 23:08
Is this a trick question?

felthove
02-20-2008, 08:34
I wonder if Nick's list reflects bourbons he's vowed to never drink (again)?

I certainly have a long list of bourbons that I will not buy again, and a very short list of bourbons I will not drink again (unless someone buys me a drink). Perhaps the OP can clarify the title of this thread. Each of the interpretations are interesting but they differ markedly and seem prone to confusion and misinterpretation.

NickAtMartinis
02-20-2008, 08:45
I wonder if Nick's list reflects bourbons he's vowed to never drink (again)?

I certainly have a long list of bourbons that I will not buy again, and a very short list of bourbons I will not drink again (unless someone buys me a drink). Perhaps the OP can clarify the title of this thread. Each of the interpretations are interesting but they differ markedly and seem prone to confusion and misinterpretation.

Sorry for the confussion. I wish I could edit the original post but I cannot (it seems there is a short amount of time to do so).

Some of the bottles on my list are bottles that I've never purchased and never will based on what I've read here and elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for finding out for myself what I like and don't but if something is considered so poor by so many, I'm not going to give it a shot. Most, however, are bottles that I have tried and haven't liked and will not buy again.

So, my list is based on what bottles I will never purchase or purchase again. But, I don't mind different interpretations. It's whatever you think it is. Make a list of what you will never buy again and/or make a list of what you will never drink again. It's up to you. Actually, the more interpretations, the more interesting this thread becomse. So, have at it.

nickynick
02-20-2008, 13:06
Nick, I remember reading about the fire. Is there that much of a difference between a post-1996 EWSB and pre-?

I thought so. The 96 and the 95 have what I call that classic HH profile. Good hints of spice and sweet. IMO. The 97 seemed a bit flatter, lacking something. I don't get the same spice from the 97. I have a bottle of the 94 that I have yet to open, so I can not comment on that. But IMO the 95 and 96 offer more then the 97. I enjoy the 97, but not to the degree that I enjoy 95 and 96.

Dr. François
02-20-2008, 19:04
I will never again drink, for they are gross:
-Old Forester 86
-Ancient Age
-Jim Beam Rye (not bourbon, but I won't touch it)

I will never again purchase, but would not turn down:
-Bulleit
-Woodford Reserve
-Jim Beam White
-ORVW 10/107 (just didn't grab me)

shyster512
02-20-2008, 19:24
I believe that if your friends will buy you ORVW 10/, you will at some point change your mind and remove it from this list.

ILLfarmboy
02-20-2008, 20:25
I believe that if your friends will buy you ORVW 10/, you will at some point change your mind and remove it from this list.

I concur. Unless, perhaps you just don't like wheaters.

Dr. François
02-20-2008, 20:37

Generally speaking, I love wheaters.
If someone buys it for me, I'll drink it. I spent about four different nights with the ORVW 10/107. I finally started to understand it on the fourth night. I enjoyed it that ultimate night, but man, that was a lot of work to get a few good sips.

Keep in mind: I am an enthusiastic but novice bourbon drinker. I still have much to learn. Certain bourbons tend to overwhelm me.

NickAtMartinis
02-20-2008, 20:51
-Old Forester 86
-Ancient Age
-Jim Beam Rye (not bourbon, but I won't touch it)

I will never again purchase, but would not turn down:
-Bulleit
-Woodford Reserve
-Jim Beam White
-ORVW 10/107 (just didn't grab me)

Nice lists, Doc.

One of my favorite pours is on one of your lists. Can you figure out which one it is?:grin:

Thanks for contributing.

birdman1099
02-20-2008, 20:55
Nice lists, Doc.

One of my favorite pours is on one of your lists. Can you figure out which one it is?:grin:

Thanks for contributing.

I believe that is an obvious attempt at sarcasm !!!!

I ony have a few I will not buy again (but will take a free-be)

Bulleitt
Ezra Brooks 12
Bookers
EC 18

NickAtMartinis
02-20-2008, 20:58
I believe that is an obvious attempt at sarcasm !!!!

Well, most people who read the "What are you drinking tonight" thread know that I'm a repeat abuser of ORVW 10/107. I don't even drink it anymore. I'm on a drip.:grin:

camduncan
02-20-2008, 23:32
After reading the thread for a couple of days, I thought I should add a couple of my own findings....

I've only found one bourbon I'd never drink again, and that was Slate Bourbon (an Australian only Chicago bourbon)

There's a few that I've tried , had bad experiences with that I'd be hesitant to buy again -
Jim Beam Black - made me sick - twice :puke:
George Dickel Barrel Select - two bottles tainted.
Elijah Craig 18yo - possible rotten cork - didn't taste right.
Old Grand Dad 114 - definate medicinal/vitamin taste to me
Fighting Cock - nothing but burn the whole glass - couldn't taste anything (did mix well with coke and ice though)

Apart from the JB Black (never again) and the EC 18yo (definately want to try another bottle), I'd happily re-try any of the above if offered at a bar or party, but would hesitate to outlay for a new bottle for myself.

felthove
02-21-2008, 07:34
Ones I won't buy again:

Blanton's -- I've got one pour left in the bottle and there has never been an evening where this ever really grabbed me. Just not much going on. Smooth, but I'm not paying $50 for smooth again.

PVW 20 -- It may be heresy to select this one but I just don't enjoy it enough to justify the $90 I spent. My bottle has a fairly pronounced phenol/band-aid character to it and I'd rather have 2 bottles of PVW15 any day.

Old Forester 86 -- spirity and medicinal IMO.

Old Fitzgerald 80 -- too sweet and simple, all walnuts.

Black Maple Hill Small Batch (90 proof) -- this one's really grown on me but unless my budget increases markedly it's just not worth the $53 I dropped.

JB Rye -- just too light for my taste. Why buy this when I can get Rittenhouse BIB for less?

NickAtMartinis
02-21-2008, 07:52
PVW 20 -- It may be heresy to select this one but I just don't enjoy it enough to justify the $90 I spent. My bottle has a fairly pronounced phenol/band-aid character to it and I'd rather have 2 bottles of PVW15 any day.

Notwithstanding the "pheno/band-aid" comment, truer words were never spoken. The PVW 15 is a much better bargain and bourbon, in my opinion.

Although, at shoppersvineyard.com they have PVW 20 for $74.99. It's still in stock, too.

OscarV
02-21-2008, 12:36
-Jim Beam Rye (not bourbon, but I won't touch it

You had to learn the hard way. Another rye to stay away from is Old Overholt. Also made by Beam, probably comes out of the same barrel.

wskybnt
02-21-2008, 20:26
Bakers??? I saw it asked several times, why? If you haven't tried it, you need to. If you have and didn't like it, try another bottle. Its too good to write off..

PS I just scanned down the threads, if you answer it already I"m sorry.

HipFlask
02-21-2008, 21:38
There are two that I would suggest that you reconsider. BAKER'S and Vintage Bourbon. The rest on your list well ok.

NickAtMartinis
02-21-2008, 21:54
There are two that I would suggest that you reconsider. BAKER'S and Vintage Bourbon. The rest on your list well ok.

I keep hearing about Bakers. So, I'm going to give it a shot. The Vintage was a mistake. I just bought the Vintage 17 and think it's very good for a high rye'd bourbon.

T47
02-21-2008, 23:25
Wow...I just must have no taste at all! I am Bourbon-Trash. "Vowed" never to drink? I have only made a couple "vows" and those are for a life time! Maybe it's just semantics and not really "for ever"?

I have had a few Bourbons that were less than impressive, the one that really stands out to me was Ancient Age, but it was pretty much what I expected and if I was offered a glass because that's all they had I would see if maybe there was something to enjoy in it this time around.

There are a many listed I have yet to try, and a few on these lists I have tried that I really enjoy.

Two bottles that seem to change for me...I did not like my first Ridgemont Reserve but the rest have been very good. And EC 12 seems to go back and forth for me, I like it, or its has a little "funk" to it...but it's been better more often than not.

:toast:

gr8erdane
02-22-2008, 00:38
I have yet to find a bourbon I wouldn't drink at least once probably twice. Particular bottles yes but I always give the distiller the benefit of the doubt. I've had Chuck's nemesis McCormicks and while not overwhelmed didn't spit it out. Given the choice of Beam bourbons, I'd take Baker's any day. Basil Hayden's? Try it sometime sitting in the old Beam home at the Jim Beam Outpost. Location, location, location. Bourbon Supreme? I'd try it again unless it was the oft tossed Gazebo phallic bottle. Probably the weakest most tasteless bourbon I've ever had was a house bottling for Straub's Markets in St Louis. I found that it worked fine as a "palate sanitizer" between other pours. Old Whiskey River removes warts when applied directly. My only problem with Old Pogue is that the bottle wobbles too much on an unstable table. The bourbon I wouldn't try hasn't been distilled yet. I'd only shy away from something like "Old Pepcycle's Used Bardstown Brisket Plug Filtered Bourbon". That or if I saw a dead rat floating in the bottle. Hmmm, protein additives....maybe.

HighTower
02-22-2008, 04:07
I'm with Cam. This Slate crap we have down here has been filtered through someone's liver and bottled after it has passed through their bladder.

I don't know why I still have a bottle of this. I would not serve it to anyone.
I dislike JBW, and I doubt I will ever drink it again.
The bottle of Hirsch 16 I have open I will only drink again because of how much it cost me.
Cam - sorry to hear about the GDBS, I will have to open one of mine.

Scott

Jane
02-22-2008, 11:28
I'm with Cam. This Slate crap we have down here has been filtered through someone's liver and bottled after it has passed through their bladder.

I don't know why I still have a bottle of this. I would not serve it to anyone.
I dislike JBW, and I doubt I will ever drink it again.
The bottle of Hirsch 16 I have open I will only drink again because of how much it cost me.
Cam - sorry to hear about the GDBS, I will have to open one of mine.

Scott

Scott,

Slate isn't a real bourbon. Slate is a blended bourbon (which is a complete oxymoron). One of the rules of bourbon states that it cannot be altered. Bourbon is the most natural whisky in the world. The rules don't apply in OZ. Another example of this is that bourbon has to be at least 80 proof. If you notice JB White, it's 74 proof. My point is that Slate is a blended whisky, not a bourbon.

Jane

Jane
02-22-2008, 11:36
And I agree with you and Cam. I would NEVER drink Slate again!

Jane
02-22-2008, 11:39
Scott,

Slate isn't a real bourbon. Slate is a blended bourbon (which is a complete oxymoron). One of the rules of bourbon states that it cannot be altered. Bourbon is the most natural whisky in the world. The rules don't apply in OZ. Another example of this is that bourbon has to be at least 80 proof. If you notice JB White, it's 74 proof. My point is that Slate is a blended whisky, not a bourbon.

Jane

I just realized how preachy I sounded. Sorry. :rolleyes:

I do that too much.

CrashRiley
02-22-2008, 13:56
I tried it once, and I'll never drink it again: Ezra Brooks 7-year BIB.

Talk about burn, I felt it all the way down my esophagus into my stomach.

HighTower
02-22-2008, 14:19
Scott,

Jane

Hey Jane,

I know that slate isn't a real bourbon, but try telling the so called 'bourbon drinkers' who have lapped it up that. Clueless fools. If they like that stuff I'm not going to recommend anything else as I already know their taste is in their ass!!:lol:
Probably tastes the same coming back up........:shithappens:

Scott

gothbat
02-22-2008, 14:28
I thought about this one a little and I don't think I've ever sworn off any bottles. Even when it comes to buying there's really nothing I've ruled out (Well, I'd probably never buy Hirsch 16 or BMH 14 again, but they're not really available anymore and my reasoning is based mostly on price rather than the fact that I didn't think either was so great), even the likes of Jim Beam White may be purchased again by me.

fogfrog
02-22-2008, 18:19
I probably won't buy tw samuels again. I might drink it... till I finish the bottle anyway.

Stu
02-22-2008, 21:05
I've only had two that I could not finish. Woodford four grain and Old Forrester 86. I know that one is expensive and the other is a favorite of a lot of folks, but to me they were almost as bad as drinking gin (if gin was the only alcoholic beverage on earth I'd be a tea totaler). There are several on the original list that I really like, most notably Bakers and Bulleit. Does this mean that I have no taste? Possibly. I'm an admitted single malt fan, but I have learned to enjoy bourbon as well. Reading this thread just goes to show how different people's tastes are.

Stu

NickAtMartinis
02-22-2008, 21:16
I've only had two that I could not finish. Woodford four grain and Old Forrester 86. I know that one is expensive and the other is a favorite of a lot of folks, but to me they were almost as bad as drinking gin (if gin was the only alcoholic beverage on earth I'd be a tea totaler). There are several on the original list that I really like, most notably Bakers and Bulleit. Does this mean that I have no taste? Possibly. I'm an admitted single malt fan, but I have learned to enjoy bourbon as well. Reading this thread just goes to show how different people's tastes are.

Stu

It certainly doesn't mean you don't have taste. It just means yours differs from mine. You've got to be the 4th person that's mentioned Baker's so I will give it a try at some point in the near future. But, I love to see the different responese. Some say they'd never swear off any bourbon, others give lists or mention one or two.

Quick mention of Woodford Four Grain. I thought it was liked and disliked fairly equally, based on what I've read.

Thesh
02-22-2008, 21:45
or BMH 14 again

This is kind of a surprise to me; I think all of the BMH bourbons are pretty decent, and the 14, last I looked, didn't seem to pricy.

Tracy Hightower
02-22-2008, 22:32
As most of you know from reading my posts I am not much a drinker although that is changing lately.

Having said that, I would never ruin a good bourbon by adding coke although I do sometimes add a little water.

However I have yet to find a bourbon that will ruin a good coke so I guess as long as coke is available I have no prohibitions against any bourbon.

:)

T47
02-22-2008, 23:47
Having said that, I would never ruin a good bourbon by adding coke although I do sometimes add a little water.
However I have yet to find a bourbon that will ruin a good coke so I guess as long as coke is available I have no prohibitions against any bourbon.:)

I am still at the phase where I enjoy my Bourbon neat, or sometimes with some ice. I have not yet tried mixing it with a coke, but I guess a good Bourbon would just make a better Bourbon and Coke? That being said, I am not much of a soda drinker...I may go months without one. There are times however I crave a cold Coke like nothing else...it's bizzare to me...not any other soda or drink...just Coke...what's up with that?

camduncan
02-23-2008, 00:43
As most of you know from reading my posts I am not much a drinker although that is changing lately.

However I have yet to find a bourbon that will ruin a good coke so I guess as long as coke is available I have no prohibitions against any bourbon.

:)

I've never said no to adding coke (and ice) to bourbon - especially on a hot day like today (40C or 104F in the shade) The one exception is Pappy 23.
Unfortunately, I've also got a bottle of Woodford Reserve (duty free gift from a friend) that doesn't taste good on its own, with ice OR with coke. I guess it proves that if a bourbon is bad, there's no saving it :skep:
It's also on my list of probably never buying again as that's two bottles from three that tasted bad.

gothbat
02-23-2008, 11:39
This is kind of a surprise to me; I think all of the BMH bourbons are pretty decent, and the 14, last I looked, didn't seem to pricy.

It just didn't do it for me. I'd try it again, especially since it seems well reviewed, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. There are too many bottles in the same price range, or cheaper, that I'd find myself reaching for first. I did probably overpay for this one, $65, but even if it were $40 I'd be saying the same thing. Despite this I'm still curious about the other ones...

scopenut
02-23-2008, 13:19
My last and only purchase of BMH was an 11 yr that was almost undrinkable to me, kind of an overriding chemical taste. Might have been a bad bottle (looking at reviews on the list), but at $45, I haven't been willing to chance it again.

-Kevin

fogfrog
02-23-2008, 14:43
I make a solemn vow never to vow not to drink any bourbon.

Jazzhead
02-23-2008, 15:26
About the only bourbon I vow never to drink is bourbon from a ceramic jug. I've been burned a time too many by mustiness in those "commemerative" ceramics.

Anything else, I'm fair game. Bourbon's a gift from the Almighty, who am I to turn it down? There are, of course, some brands I'm loath to try again. Bakers. J.W. Dant. Old Pogue. But I'm willing to accept that the time and the place mean a lot to the enjoyment of a spirit, and life's too short to turn down a good drink. So, yeah, I'll try another Baker's if you're buyin' :)

felthove
02-23-2008, 21:05
I am still at the phase where I enjoy my Bourbon neat, or sometimes with some ice. I have not yet tried mixing it with a coke, but I guess a good Bourbon would just make a better Bourbon and Coke? That being said, I am not much of a soda drinker...I may go months without one. There are times however I crave a cold Coke like nothing else...it's bizzare to me...not any other soda or drink...just Coke...what's up with that?

I'm not a soda drinker either but as of late when I've craved a cold one I really have enjoyed the Weller Antique and Coke. Sounds to me like the Texas really do know what they're doing.

ggilbertva
02-24-2008, 21:15
Hmmm...

Kind of a long list. Personally, I never turn down trying a bourbon even though it may not get high marks from folks here on SB. I recently tried Johnny Drum 8 year. To me, it wasn't good neat, but maybe ok as a mixer. One bottle I've tried desperately to like but haven't is my Hirsch 16 year Gold Foil. Either it's a bad bottle or the third iteration was just too long in the tub. I've had the Blue Wax and it was really great. Another I won't drink again is Basil Hayden. I bought a bottle, finished but that's it for me. I noticed that EWSB is on the list. Each year is different, therefore, I purchase at least one bottle each year. If I like it, then I purchase more to bunker. If not, then I wait for the next release. I recently tired Pure KY XO....I like it and wished they sold it here in VA. Vintage 17 I liked, and Old Pogue I like also.

cigarnv
02-25-2008, 05:10
Those I would not buy again...

Woodford Reserve
Mitchner's American Whisky
Basil Hayden
Blanton's (value issue given the price)

Old Lamplighter
02-25-2008, 17:32
In reading the last few days of posting, it reminded me of another one I have not bought in about 30 or more years and the likelihood of ever purchasing again are pretty nil.......JB White.

Nothing against Beam at all. I enjoy many other of their products.....just not that one. Now, if there was nothing else available, I would consider it as a mixer with something strong enough to drown it.....like Father John's cough syrup.

brian12069
02-25-2008, 17:51
Those I would not buy again...

Woodford Reserve
Mitchner's American Whisky
Basil Hayden
Blanton's (value issue given the price)

Do you mean "Michter's American Whiskey?" If that is what you were refering to, that had one of the strangest tastes in whiskey I ever had. I actually don't know if I should say strange or just plain different. I found it VERY sweet, NOTHING else tastes like it. It kinda started to grow on me as I got further down the bottle. It was so sweet, almost like sugar was added to it.

mandujano87
01-10-2009, 10:38
I make a solemn vow never to vow not to drink any bourbon.

Haha, I'm with you on this frog. I've been too pleasantly surprised by some bourbons and too let down by others to swear off trying any bourbon. I don't see how you can reasonably turn down a bourbon you've never had before. Although, I will concede that I have no desire to try JBW since I've heard such poor reviews. If someone offered me a glass for free though, I'd definitely give it a whirl. I'll try to keep an open mind though.

polyamnesia
01-10-2009, 16:32
HMMMM....

i often shy away from JD as i do any AH-Busch products...due to the too fake 'all-american' or deep-southern marketing...oy

also, have YET to try the WT80. seems like a bottle of oxymorononic juice.

heck, ALMOST anything 80 proof is suspect...and under probation!

don't think i'll try Woodford Reserve again. or Makers Mark. or JD black. or JB white. or Dickel vitamins. or Knob Creek. or Bulleit (yawn). Buffalo Trace (not the distillery...just that bottling!)

oh yeah.........i will certainly NEVER buy HEAVEN HILL white label, charcoal 'perfect' swill. nothing worse than ferment canned vegetable juice....

polyamnesia
01-10-2009, 16:37
Do you mean "Michter's American Whiskey?" If that is what you were refering to, that had one of the strangest tastes in whiskey I ever had. I actually don't know if I should say strange or just plain different. I found it VERY sweet, NOTHING else tastes like it. It kinda started to grow on me as I got further down the bottle. It was so sweet, almost like sugar was added to it.

i thought the unblended version was really stellar. i know, very subjective...and low proof at that! but that was 2 years ago

OscarV
01-11-2009, 15:10
Johnny Drum 8yo, taste like swamp water soaked ply wood.

funknik
01-11-2009, 15:40
Old Whiskey River....had enough of that for a lifetime

spun_cookie
01-11-2009, 17:04
Old Whiskey River....had enough of that for a lifetime

Great no, good for $10.... I think so. I do not plan on buying a case, but I would take it over JD White

trx450
01-11-2009, 18:02
Don't know of any that i'd never drink again,but i can think of one that i would never buy again.Old Crow!I've always heard that the n.d. version of Crow was pretty good stuff and was also told it was one of the best sellers in this area.From you guys on here that have had the n.d. version,how was it?

funknik
01-11-2009, 18:02
Great no, good for $10.... I think so. I do not plan on buying a case, but I would take it over JD WhiteI guess. OWV is better neat, but I don't hate JBW as much as you...if it is on-the-rocks, my secondary bev and I am double-fisting it with a tasty brew. I do have some stipulations.

MJL
01-11-2009, 18:35
Never drink a Bourbon? It's all good....just some is better. I'll try it all, some I will try again and again. For free I will try stuff I might not be willing to pony up the cash to buy. On the other hand I will give just about any Bourbon a shot once....live is an adventure. Take a drink and live the adventure.

callmeox
01-11-2009, 18:53
None.

I've yet to try any bourbon that is offensive to the point that I wouldn't try it again. I'm also not one to avoid trying a new label based on the opinions of others, so I guess that I'm still an open book.

Old Lamplighter
01-11-2009, 19:08
I could list more than a few in a "vowed never to drink 'again'" category. However, of those I have not tried and don't plan to do so (thanks mainly to many folks' insight & wisdom herein), I would have to say Old Whiskey River, Bourborn de Luxe, Bulleit, and that new Colorado Whiskey are a few that come to the forefront of my mind. Probably a few others will hatch after a few more sips of Overholt.

fishnbowljoe
01-11-2009, 22:43
I really haven't vowed to never drink any bourbon. I have told myself that there's a couple I'd never "buy" again.:slappin: Joe

sotnsipper
01-15-2009, 15:50
Here is my list of, not so much never drink, but to never buy again.
1. VOB BIB - Tried it a few months ago and it just has an overpowering something that was very unpleasant to me. Bought another bottle a week ago thinking maybe it was just me before. Nope, still there, just very unpleasant to me.
2. Makers Mark - I have never actually bought a bottle of this but have tried it when out to eat a few times. Seems very shallow to me, not bad, just not what I prefer in a bourbon. It seems a little pricy around here (middle TN) too.
3. OGD BIB - Just had a flavor I can only describe as what stinky feet would taste like. Yeah, I know I posted that comment on another post but that is the only way I know how to describe it.
4. EW BIB - Seems like a really young bourbon. Too alcoholish with very little other flavors to me. Much prefer the black label to the BIB.

Attila
01-15-2009, 18:01
Black Death Bourbon

lakegz
01-15-2009, 18:21
Makers Mark. yea yea the wheat is supposed to give it a softer delicate flavor, but the opposite happens when it touches my lips. this is one of the thinnest and most bitter bourbons I've come across. I'll take an Evan Williams 7yo over this any day.

Stu
01-17-2009, 08:43
I posted on this thread about a year ago. Since then I've had two more trips to the gazebo and much sampling here at home. My opinions haven't changed but they've become more refined. I've found that I'm not a Brown Forman fan. I dislike Old Forester, I find Woodford rather ho hum for the price, and JD black, while palatable, has a nose that reminds me of paint thinner, I prefer JB W (not one of my favorites). JD SB is rather good, but I'll never buy it because of the price:quality ratio. I think their best product is Early Times. I've also learned that as a general rule I prefer ryes to wheaters, however I do enjoy and will continue to buy some wheaters. However there is nothing I'd vow to never try again.

larocka
01-24-2009, 00:26
Old Grand Dad 86--I picked it up at Rite-Aid on sale for $7.99. The flavor profile was a cross between vomit and licking an ashtray.

Buffalo Bill
01-29-2009, 08:51
Bulleit
Jefferson's
Woodford Four Grain (from what i've gathered)
Henry McKenna (never again)
Beam White (I avoid it...)

BB

The Boozer
01-29-2009, 09:18
After reading all of these replys, all I can say if WOW. It seems that most of the more well known names - especially the Beam products, get dissed. Maybe a better (more precise) question should be "bourbon voved never to buy or buy again". I'm like many here, I'll try/drink mostly anything that's free. I only buy JB white at holiday time, for my swine brothers/uncles and brother-in-laws, who don't know any better, and I don't want them to drink my good stuff. They wouldn't know the difference and they guzzle aways.
TJ

onmytrack
01-29-2009, 12:03
One bottle I've tried desperately to like but haven't is my Hirsch 16 year Gold Foil. Either it's a bad bottle or the third iteration was just too long in the tub.

I agree 100% on the Hirsch 16 Gold Foil. Too long in the tub. I doubt I will ever finish the bottle unless I start using it as a cleaning product. I haven't ventured below mid-shelf, so I really haven't had any other bourbon that I did not think was at least drinkable.

Jim

sotnsipper
01-29-2009, 15:30
I only buy JB white at holiday time, for my swine brothers/uncles and brother-in-laws, who don't know any better, and I don't want them to drink my good stuff. They wouldn't know the difference and they guzzle aways.
TJ

This is good thought, however, you can spend a little less and get a better bourbon and maybe even open their eyes about bourbon. If you want a good one with a bourbon profile that is drinkable, go with the EW Black Label or BIB. Both are cheaper than the JB and taste a WHOLE lot better. The Black label was my eye opening bourbon.

The Boozer
01-29-2009, 18:11

How do you know what taste a beaver would love. Sounds like you know a little too much about beavers !!

(Somebody? Anybody? pick that one up - please)

(OscarV - you know I'm just kidding but that's like shooting fish in the barrell. - TJ).

Lost Pollito
01-30-2009, 09:25
But , Beavers do love wood.:rolleyes:

ElasticalGomez
01-30-2009, 09:49
OK. So, enlighten a n00b. What's the deal with the Woodford Reserve hate?

Josh
01-30-2009, 10:04

How do you know what taste a beaver would love. Sounds like you know a little too much about beavers !!

(Somebody? Anybody? pick that one up - please)

(OscarV - you know I'm just kidding but that's like shooting fish in the barrell. - TJ).

Apparently, due to their aquatic habitat, beavers were once considered fish for the purposes of the Lenten fast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver#In_dietary_law).

So next time you're eating fish on Friday, think about how nice it might be to taste a big juicy beaver next friday night!

(how was that, Boozer?)

p_elliott
01-30-2009, 10:12
I'll take up eating beaver on Fridays for lent anytime or any other cause for that matter.

smokinjoe
01-30-2009, 10:21
None. Even Bourbon Supreme. :D

If I make a vow not to buy something, it's usually for a principle. Like:
I won't buy Pepsi products. Only Coke, because I live in Atlanta.
I won't shop at Lowe's. Only Home Depot, for the same reason.
I will never, ever, buy a Buick. They willfully and gleefully tried to screw me when I was looking to purchase the redesigned Riviera in 1994. So, I have willfully and gleefully cost them at least 10 car sales since, by talking people out of getting a Buick, when they were just about to buy one. :)

Buffalo Bill
01-30-2009, 10:31
After reading all of these replys, all I can say if WOW. It seems that most of the more well known names - especially the Beam products, get dissed.
TJ

Beam White label to bourbon is Budweiser to beer... BB

ILLfarmboy
01-30-2009, 11:13
.... They willfully and gleefully tried to screw me when I was looking to purchase the redesigned Riviera in 1994. So, I have willfully and gleefully cost them at least 10 car sales since, by talking people out of getting a Buick, when they were just about to buy one. :)

That reminds me of an incident that happened when I was kid. My Grandpa and Grandma took me along when shopping for a new car. Granddad was a farmer and he was dressed in clean but old crappy clothes. The salesman at the Cadillac dealership didn't act like he wanted to sell Grandpa anything. So we went across town to the Oldsmobile dealership. Then we went back to the Cadillac dealership. Grandpa almost hit the salesman, screeched to a halt, rolled the window down and asked the guy.."how do you like my brand new Oldsmobile"?

ILLfarmboy
01-30-2009, 11:27

I can only speak for myself. I was unimpressed with Woodford Reserve. I had a pour in a bar. It seems a lot of folks here feel the same way about Woodford. So, I figured it wasn't just me. With that in mind, I've never bought a bottle.

Blitz
01-30-2009, 11:46

Some bourbons have a wider range of opinion than others, and seem to be a lightning rod for disagreement. Woodford, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig 12 come to mind. Others seem to offend very few people.

Personally, I have a bottle of WR. I like it O.K. but for me it is unremarkable. At 50% more in price than some that I really enjoy (Knob Creek*, Buffalo Trace, Weller) it's just not special enough for the price.

*KC is $22 in Chicago, some people have to pay a lot more.

jspero
01-30-2009, 11:54
At one point I vowed never to drink JB White again. I have since recanted. I have learned that my tastes change over time and I'm willing to give any bourbon another chance. I have also learned that I would rather have JB White than something like vodka.

Jay

Buffalo Bill
01-30-2009, 12:27
I can only speak for myself. I was unimpressed with Woodford Reserve. I had a pour in a bar. It seems a lot of folks here feel the same way about Woodford. So, I figured it wasn't just me. With that in mind, I've never bought a bottle.

I have a bottle of Woodford here opened from last Spring 08 (Batch 250) that's outstanding. Loaded with cinnamon & spice, great on ice. This past autumn I picked up a 50ml by Chris Morris that was completely different, floral. Then I had an older 50ml via Lincoln Henderson that was awful, perhaps it was hanging around the store too long. It's hit & miss... but when you find a good batch, it's usually a great batch. BB

PhilsFan
01-30-2009, 13:53
I wouldn't say that I would never drink it again, but 1792 wasn't very good IMO.

-Joe

leebo
01-30-2009, 17:40
I have to chime in here.Some that I might not buy again are EC18 and Elmer T Lee. The EC18 was Very woody, but worked out fine mixed with 1/2 bottle of EC12. The ETLee seemed very sweet, and flat, maybe someone can shed some light on this one. In regards to the EWSB, it is the single barrel that appeals to me. Yes it does taste different. That is the point. I look forward every year to the release. 10 years one barrel, no blending or mixing. How many other single barrel bourbons are out there ? Everyones taste is different, cheers. Wait for the next years review, and then decide.

OscarV
01-30-2009, 17:44
How many other single barrel bourbons are out there ?

Good question.
Maybe we should start a new thread on this subject and see how many we can come up with.

The Boozer
01-30-2009, 19:13
After reading all of these replys, all I can say if WOW. It seems that most of the more well known names - especially the Beam products, get dissed.
TJ

----
Your on the money with JB white, but Booker's, or Knob Creek? Both seem to be highly thought of on some of the other posts and certainly Baker's has its fans. Even JB Black gets a few positive nods.
TJ

Lost Pollito
01-30-2009, 19:48
I'll drink anything. I will not be purchasing JB white, AA preferred blend, Sweet mash, or Sonoma Cut. from woodford. If they show up in my glass....I'll drink'um.

Buffalo Bill
02-02-2009, 10:04
[I]After reading all of these replys, all I can say if WOW. It seems that most of the more well known names - especially the Beam products, get dissed.
TJ

I'm a big fan of Booker's, love a good bottle of Knob Creek, and the 7 Year Distiller's Series has recently rocked my world in a positive way. And I wouldn't throw out Basil Hayden's or 8 Year Black either, but the White just doesn't cut it with me, and it is perhaps the most popular bourbon in the country?

I've had some great Beam in my day... got some here dating back to the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Nothing wrong with Beam!

BB

kickert
02-02-2009, 10:10
Personally, I have a bottle of WR. I like it O.K. but for me it is unremarkable.

Ding ding ding.... I think most people who object to WR will say it is overpriced and under delivering. It is not offensive and I don't know of anyone who hates it, but for the price, it is rather plain.

chefmel
02-02-2009, 14:18
Why throw many at an ever changing product that you may or may not like when you can buy something that is consistent in flavor profile that you like very much.

That's my thought anyway.
Because part of the joy of bourbon is the hunt. I enjoy tasting the nuances in the master distillers craft from year to year. If I wanted something to drink that tasted exactly the same year to year, I'd drink any massed produced American Beer (sorry Oscar!)

My two cents.

Mark

polyamnesia
02-02-2009, 16:48
(though not a bourbon) JD black...

JBwhite

Ten High (but might now, since it's blending....)

Cabin Still

etc

but i often break vows....at least only those between me and I and my whiskey sense...or lack thereof!

i'll actually probably try anything once....from pour to bottle....and i might even return after being burned or bummed for not being burned (how can you get an 80 proof burn!)