PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Ma

havok66
02-23-2008, 06:41
Hi everyone, as you can tell I am new to this site.
I just wanted to introduce myself and be straight forward.
My name is Ryan Maloney (havok66) and I own a liquor store here in Ma.
I have been drinking and selling Whisk(e)y since I was 18 ( I am 41 now).
For about the last 5 years I have been buying barrels from Buffalo Trace.
And for the last 3 years, I held an annual (FREE) Whisk(e)y fests.
So, as you can see I am into Whisk(e)y on both a business and personal level. I hope to be able to tell you guys about stuff I have tried and things going on here at the store. Thanks for you time, hope to talk (post) soon.

OscarV
02-23-2008, 07:11
Welcome aboard Ryan, it is always nice to know a whiskey retailer.;)

spun_cookie
02-23-2008, 07:19
Welcome ot the site... that is quite the passion of whiskey..

ratcheer
02-23-2008, 07:46
Welcome aboard, Ryan. It is nice to "meet" you.

Tim

StraightBoston
02-23-2008, 10:36
Welcome Ryan! (From context, I'm guessing Julio's? I've heard about your BT special bottlings but haven't made it over from the I-93 north corridor.)

Let me know when the next Whiskey Fest event is happening and I'll make the road trip!

havok66
02-23-2008, 10:57
Whiskey event this sunday feb 24 2-5
120 whisk(e)y

NickAtMartinis
02-23-2008, 20:39
Hey Ryan, I've been to Julio's based on a recommendation here. The next time I was up in MA, I walked out with a Weller Centennial 13! It was a special bottling you guys had which was pretty good.

The next time I'm up your way, I'll stop by again. Out of curiousity, how many bourbons do you currently have on the shelf?

Also, what's your whisk(e)y preference, i.e., Bourbon, Scotch, TN, Irish or Canadian Whiskey?

Mark

P.S. Welcome to the site. Where have you been?;)

melting
02-24-2008, 11:24
It's a good store and I've recommended it quite to often. Unfortunately, it's located in Massachusetts so the prices for the standard items are quite a bit higher than in New Hampshire.

Great selection though and the staff is always available if you have a question or are looking for some guidance. The tastings do draw a pretty good crowd, although I've only been to a wine tasting there.

Chris

jbaker
02-24-2008, 12:25
Welcome Ryan! I've been out there to your store, and I was impressed with your bourbon collection. Nice touch with the Buffalo nickels on the 1.75L BT! Wish I could'a made it to the tasting, but I'm stuck at work.

All the Best!

HighTower
02-24-2008, 17:21
Welcome to the forums Ryan!

I hope your Whisk(e)y fest goes well!

Scott

havok66
02-26-2008, 09:04
Hey Ryan, I've been to Julio's based on a recommendation here. The next time I was up in MA, I walked out with a Weller Centennial 13! It was a special bottling you guys had which was pretty good.

The next time I'm up your way, I'll stop by again. Out of curiousity, how many bourbons do you currently have on the shelf?

Also, what's your whisk(e)y preference, i.e., Bourbon, Scotch, TN, Irish or Canadian Whiskey?

Mark

P.S. Welcome to the site. Where have you been?;)
Just about 100.
My preference is whisk(e)y in general. Right now I'm switching between our own barrel of Rock Hill Farms (great cherry finish) and Balvenie 17yr sherrywood.

havok66
02-26-2008, 09:14
It's a good store and I've recommended it quite to often. Unfortunately, it's located in Massachusetts so the prices for the standard items are quite a bit higher than in New Hampshire.

Great selection though and the staff is always available if you have a question or are looking for some guidance. The tastings do draw a pretty good crowd, although I've only been to a wine tasting there.

Chris
Thanks for the recommendations. You just missed our Whisk(e)y fest.
We had about 700 people and 15% off all 750ml whiskies.

MikeK
02-26-2008, 09:45
Hi Ryan,

(says Mike Kellstrand, so you know who the heck this is... :) )

Cool to see you show up here. The Whiskey-Fest on Sunday was great as always.

To anyone within traveling distance, definitely stop by Julio's. It's a really nice store with a huge selection. And Ryan is a great guy to deal with, a true friend to the enthusiast.

I've recommended their numerous single barrel selections a number of times on this site and shared them at the Gazebo and via trades.

Cheers,

NickAtMartinis
02-26-2008, 13:43
Just about 100.
My preference is whisk(e)y in general. Right now I'm switching between our own barrel of Rock Hill Farms (great cherry finish) and Balvenie 17yr sherrywood.

You have 100 bourbons on the shelf?! Wow!!!! The one time I visited your store (Julio's?), I liked your selection but do not remember 100 different bottles of bourbon. Or, perhaps you mean 100 bottles, total, not 100 different types of bourbon. Can you please clarify?

Mark

P.S. The following request may be too much trouble, but if you could provides a pic(s) of your bourbon, that would be great. I certainly don't doubt what you're saying, by the way, but I would like to get an idea of what bourbons you have instead of having to type 100 different brands.

melting
02-26-2008, 14:00
I purchased my BTAC collection at Julio's right around the holidays. I thought the prices were quite fair at $49.99 a bottle. My kid loves the buffalo nickel on the 1.75L bottle. It's almost like I got a rebate for the purchase without filling out a form and waiting.

Like I've said, I've recommended the store to quite a few friends. I think the prices are fair for the location and the overhead that comes from being in Westboro. The selection is one of the best I've seen anywhere in central Mass.

I generally go there about once a month. I stock up on the Van Winkle bottles and try a few other things now and then. I'd recommend that they start trying to keep more Rittenhouse stocked. It's been hit or miss and I really hate the misses.

Chris

havok66
02-27-2008, 08:53
You have 100 bourbons on the shelf?! Wow!!!! The one time I visited your store (Julio's?), I liked your selection but do not remember 100 different bottles of bourbon. Or, perhaps you mean 100 bottles, total, not 100 different types of bourbon. Can you please clarify?

Mark

P.S. The following request may be too much trouble, but if you could provides a pic(s) of your bourbon, that would be great. I certainly don't doubt what you're saying, by the way, but I would like to get an idea of what bourbons you have instead of having to type 100 different brands.
Today "american" whiskies are 68 that is with some out of stocks because of our whiskey fest last weekend. With allocated items, items that are in and out of stock(supplier problems) and out of stock items it is closer to 100. I will try to get a pic. That is counting all sizes of Jim Beam 6yr as "one". I will try to get you a pic. Trust me I did not mean 100 bottles but, I was not trying to miss lead you.
Fri we are going to have an un-advertised 15% off all 750ml whiskey sale.

havok66
02-27-2008, 09:01
I purchased my BTAC collection at Julio's right around the holidays. I thought the prices were quite fair at $49.99 a bottle. My kid loves the buffalo nickel on the 1.75L bottle. It's almost like I got a rebate for the purchase without filling out a form and waiting.

Like I've said, I've recommended the store to quite a few friends. I think the prices are fair for the location and the overhead that comes from being in Westboro. The selection is one of the best I've seen anywhere in central Mass.

I generally go there about once a month. I stock up on the Van Winkle bottles and try a few other things now and then. I'd recommend that they start trying to keep more Rittenhouse stocked. It's been hit or miss and I really hate the misses.

Chris
Thanks for the kind wordsand shopping here. We deal with some of the same problems you guys have when it comes to getting bourbon i.e I would always have Rittenhouse stocked if my supplier would stop being out of stock!! Call or email Rittenhouse and let them know, they value your requests more than you know.
All I have in stock now is 21yr. i was just back ordered on rye last week.

NickAtMartinis
02-27-2008, 12:57
Today "american" whiskies are 68 that is with some out of stocks because of our whiskey fest last weekend. With allocated items, items that are in and out of stock(supplier problems) and out of stock items it is closer to 100. I will try to get a pic. That is counting all sizes of Jim Beam 6yr as "one". I will try to get you a pic. Trust me I did not mean 100 bottles but, I was not trying to miss lead you.
Fri we are going to have an un-advertised 15% off all 750ml whiskey sale.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like I may have to get my brother (lives in Wayland) over to your place to pick up some bourbon this Friday.

Mark

MrAtomic
02-27-2008, 21:55
Jeez,

It's like I was living in a fog, or something. Ten years in Massachusetts and not once did anyone mention Julio's to me. Actually, I can't remember having any conversations about whiskey at all, except with some of the more colorful characters in Central Square.

Oh well, I'll be sure to stop by the next time I'm in Boston.

spun_cookie
02-29-2008, 13:05
Nice meeting ya Ryan... Hell of a damn selection and even better knowledge of Bourbons :bowdown: ...

:D that place is going to cost me a fortune:icon_pidu:

havok66
03-01-2008, 07:06
Always geat to talk bourbon, Emerald.
Thanks for coming by, I hope you can fly out for Buffalo Trace Experimental dinner.
Also, thanks for sending guys to our new Whisk(e)y site.

JamesW
03-10-2008, 16:26
Hi Ryan,

I'm a new fan of your store (and a new member here to boot). I bought a bunch (3) of those Weller Centennial 13 years and they were fantastic! I'm heading down this weekend with a friend to get more. I also bought some Pappy's 15 and 20 and a B-Day Bourbon... all in all a great selection you guys have.

Welcome to the board and see you at Julio's!

TNbourbon
03-10-2008, 16:55
Jeez,

It's like I was living in a fog, or something. Ten years in Massachusetts and not once did anyone mention Julio's to me...

LOL. Even I have some BTEC (via trade) from Julio's, here in little ol', remote Tennessee. But, I understand. I've spent years picking Middle Tennessee 'clean', only to have newcomers happen along to find goodies I'd drool for.

havok66
03-11-2008, 10:13
Hi Ryan,

I'm a new fan of your store (and a new member here to boot). I bought a bunch (3) of those Weller Centennial 13 years and they were fantastic! I'm heading down this weekend with a friend to get more. I also bought some Pappy's 15 and 20 and a B-Day Bourbon... all in all a great selection you guys have.

Welcome to the board and see you at Julio's!

Hi James,
Thanks for the compliment! That 13yr is one of our favorites.
Ask for me next time your in, I'd like to say "hey". If I'm there, I would like you to taste "my best pick to date" of Rock Hill Farms, on me.
Ryan

JamesW
03-11-2008, 11:00
Hi James,
Thanks for the compliment! That 13yr is one of our favorites.
Ask for me next time your in, I'd like to say "hey". If I'm there, I would like you to taste "my best pick to date" of Rock Hill Farms, on me.
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I'll see you Saturday if your in and I'll take you up on that.http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif Thanks!