PDA

View Full Version : hello

Flashover
03-02-2008, 18:41
I'm new to the site and also a new drinker of the good stuff. Although I have always liked bourbon I didn't realise what I was missing out, that is until I purchased a bottle of EC18. It got the better of me. I was drinking Gentleman Jack, I liked it alot but the EC18 opened my eyes and tastebuds to a whole new level of appreciation of what good bourbon is.
I found this site when I was getting some opinions on what is good.
After reading some of the input here I decided to try some Pappy Van Winkle 15 but could'nt score any here in Sumter, SC. Four Roses was my next choice but I didn't realise that it was only sold in Kentucky and Japan. So I decided on Blanton's Single Barrel.
I was really surprised at how much the Blanton's tasted like a cigar. It's almost to complex for me to handle but I do like it, enough to keep pouring anyway:) The EC18 is my favorite so far.
I also picked up some scotch to give a try(never touched the stuff before today). Glenlivet single malt 18 and Chivas Regal 18 Rare Old. Both are good but the Chivas is really good.
Thanks the posts that are under BOTM, you've all given me goals.

NickAtMartinis
03-02-2008, 18:57
I'm new to the site and also a new drinker of the good stuff. Although I have always liked bourbon I didn't realise what I was missing out, that is until I purchased a bottle of EC18. It got the better of me. I was drinking Gentleman Jack, I liked it alot but the EC18 opened my eyes and tastebuds to a whole new level of appreciation of what good bourbon is.
I found this site when I was getting some opinions on what is good.
After reading some of the input here I decided to try some Pappy Van Winkle 15 but could'nt score any here in Sumter, SC. Four Roses was my next choice but I didn't realise that it was only sold in Kentucky and Japan. So I decided on Blanton's Single Barrel.
I was really surprised at how much the Blanton's tasted like a cigar. It's almost to complex for me to handle but I do like it, enough to keep pouring anyway:) The EC18 is my favorite so far.
I also picked up some scotch to give a try(never touched the stuff before today). Glenlivet single malt 18 and Chivas Regal 18 Rare Old. Both are good but the Chivas is really good.
Thanks the posts that are under BOTM, you've all given me goals.

Flash, welcome to the site.

Four Roses is now offered in other parts of the US but not sure exactly where. However, it's definitely now sold outside of Kentucky and growing.

If you like Elijah Craig 18 then try the the 12. It has gotten better reviews than it's older brother and I know first hand how tasty it is. Give that a shot.

Good luck on finding PVW 15. The Van Winkle line appears difficult to find but I'd also recommend the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year, 107 proof. It's one of my favorites. Not sure if you're going to like wheated bourbon but it seems you're open to experimentation and why not try one of the best expresssions of wheated bourbon.

Also, try to hunt down some Weller Antique. It's less than $20 in my area and is very good. This is a wheated bourbon as well.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. I know you didn't ask for recommendations, but figured I'd throw some at you anyway.

spun_cookie
03-02-2008, 19:27
Welcom to the group... my recomendation is to drink and drink often... its the only way you will try them all in this life time:grin:

Flashover
03-04-2008, 05:38
Thanks for the suggestions Mark; The PVW I tried to order through the AFEES store on the AF base that I'm on, they should be able to get it in. I will definatly give the EC12 a shot.