PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Colorado

Ryan
03-07-2008, 21:28
Hello all!

My name is Ryan Paugh, I was born and raised here is Colorado and currently reside a little south of Denver. I am married with no kids and one black lab named Cash, after Johnny Cash.

I am totally new to the world of whisk(e)y. I had a short experience with single malt scotch a few years back that turned me off to all whisk(e)y for some time. Literally within the last few weeks I was introduced to bourbon. I was given some Makers Mark and was surprised at how much I liked it. It was nothing like the scotch was a few years back.

I then started to do research on bourbon and found this site. I enjoyed reading about bourbon's history and was impressed with the amount of information and knowledge on this site, so I decided to join. I hope to learn all I can about bourbon and contribute where I can.

Cheers!

Ryan

spun_cookie
03-07-2008, 21:46
Welcome to the group... get your hands on some weller.. I think you will enjoy it.

The more you try the more you will find you will enjoy.

OscarV
03-08-2008, 05:04
Welcome aboard Ryan, Maker's Mark has opened the door for a lot of us here.
I suggest you try another wheater, W L Weller has five very fine bourbons. Start with their Special Reserve than try the Cenennial.

Ryan
03-08-2008, 10:35
Thank you for warm welcome and suggestions!

I picked up some of the Weller Special Reserve last night! I really enjoyed it, look forward to getting to know that one a little more. I haven't seen the centennial around, but will keep looking!

Rake
03-08-2008, 13:20
Always good to see another bourbon fan in the area. (I'm married, with a daughter, and have both a black and chocolate lab.)

Metro Denver has a bunch of good liquor stores, as I'm sure you know, and you should be able to pick up just about any bourbon you like. According to their website, Davidsons Liquors (http://www.davidsonsliquors.com/) in Highlands Ranch has Weller Centennial, and I've seen it myself at Argonaut on Colfax if you're ever in the area.

Enjoy.

gblick
03-08-2008, 16:27
Welcome Ryan,
Don't overlook the Weller Antique 107.

Knutzen
03-09-2008, 19:08
Looks like a little Colorado gathering in here! I'm up at school in Boulder, but visit my folks in Castle Rock often. I was just down there today bottling some bourbon-infused beer, actually.

Ryan
03-10-2008, 10:54
Thanks for the welcome, and the suggestions! It is nice to see a few people from Denver area on here.

That is now a couple votes for the Weller Centennial and Antique, I will add those to my list. I am familiar with Davidson's and Argonaut's, but live right in the middle of them so haven't had a chance to stop at either one yet. I will work on my Weller Special Reserve and WT101 for now until I can make it to one!

RM High
03-16-2008, 21:53
Hey All!
Another fellow Coloradan here. It looks like we have enough people here to start a bourbon tasting club or something:toast:

Knutzen
03-17-2008, 12:15
Local tasting club? I'm down.

RM High
03-17-2008, 23:08
Local tasting club? I'm down.

OK, I nominate you to buy the first bottle. I am thinking about trying the Wellers Reserve.....:grin:

RM High
03-18-2008, 16:29
OK, I lied. The local liquor store did not have any Wellers, so I picked up a Russell's Reserve 10yr. I'll let you know what my noob palate thinks....

Ryan
03-19-2008, 09:23
I too am new to bourbon, but wouldn't mind setting up some tastings. I think it would be a good way to learn!

OK, I lied. The local liquor store did not have any Wellers, so I picked up a Russell's Reserve 10yr. I'll let you know what my noob palate thinks....

I have a fairly new bottle of the Weller Special Reserve.

Has anyone tried the Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey? I have seen it in a few stores, but don't have $50+ to drop on it. I would be interested to see some notes on it.

-R

Knutzen
03-19-2008, 10:58
I haven't tried it, but the distillery is right in downtown Denver. We should get together and do a tour of it or something.

RM High
03-19-2008, 22:30
I've heard some good things about Stranahan's. Did any of you catch the Modern Marvels special on whiskey? The whiskey guru at the end (the show's expert I guess) seemed pretty impressed. But, $50+ is a lot to shell out without trying it first.

Ryan, let me know what you think about the Weller's.

perhaps when my cover band is out and playing again, maybe we could get some of the Colorad(o)ans out for a night of drinking.

B

Dr. François
03-20-2008, 13:12
I'm a former Fort Collins/Centennial/Golden resident.

I got to try the Stranahan's over at Dane's place a few weeks ago. Some may like it, but I found a really offensive port-a-potty odor. Think blue sanitizer. It's a noble attempt, but for my $50, I'd prefer 5/6th of a bottle of something from the Antique Collection.

Ryan
03-21-2008, 08:27
I've heard some good things about Stranahan's. Did any of you catch the Modern Marvels special on whiskey? The whiskey guru at the end (the show's expert I guess) seemed pretty impressed. But, $50+ is a lot to shell out without trying it first.

Ryan, let me know what you think about the Weller's.

perhaps when my cover band is out and playing again, maybe we could get some of the Colorad(o)ans out for a night of drinking.

B

Whats the name of your cover band?

I did catch the Modern Marvels on whiskey! Until I saw that special I didn't know it was distilled right here in downtown Denver, I figured it was from Montrose or Grand Junction.

I like the Weller. My only downside to is that is seems to lack a strong finish.

Ryan
03-21-2008, 08:34
I'm a former Fort Collins/Centennial/Golden resident.

I got to try the Stranahan's over at Dane's place a few weeks ago. Some may like it, but I found a really offensive port-a-potty odor. Think blue sanitizer. It's a noble attempt, but for my $50, I'd prefer 5/6th of a bottle of something from the Antique Collection.

I don't mind the blue sanitizer odor in a restroom, but don't think I would care for it in my bourbon! Thank you for the notes, I think I will hold on to my $50.

They do do tours during the week by appointment only. I may check out the tour since it is the only distillery anywhere close to here and I won't be in Kentucky any time soon. Maybe I can get a free taste at the tour.

ACDetroit
03-21-2008, 11:25
Hey Ryan welcome to the board from way far away from you. I could not help but notice your quote so I thought you should save your $50 bucks as well because that might be what's in the bottle!! :slappin:

They do do

Hope you enjoy youself here it's a great group with a great deal of information. Hope the Colorado folks can put a tasting together, sounds like you have the starting of a big group out there.

Cheers!

Tony

RM High
03-21-2008, 19:35
Whats the name of your cover band?

I did catch the Modern Marvels on whiskey! Until I saw that special I didn't know it was distilled right here in downtown Denver, I figured it was from Montrose or Grand Junction.

I like the Weller. My only downside to is that is seems to lack a strong finish.

The band's name is Scrubbed 'n Fresh.....wierd name but we have a couple of doctor's in the band who thought the name was hilarious. We cover mostly harder, guitar oriented rock. We should be back playing out in a month or two. We just got a new bass player and we're waiting for him to get up to speed.

Regarding the Wellers, the lack of a strong finish is what I find attractive. The Makers Mark I just finished had a nice finish. If it did last any longer, it would've been a distraction to the overall experience. Does that make sense?

RM High
03-21-2008, 19:36
Hey Ryan welcome to the board from way far away from you. I could not help but notice your quote so I thought you should save your $50 bucks as well because that might be what's in the bottle!! :slappin:

Hope you enjoy youself here it's a great group with a great deal of information. Hope the Colorado folks can put a tasting together, sounds like you have the starting of a big group out there.

Cheers!

Tony

I hope we can get something going. But, try to convince the wives to let you go out drinking is always a tough thing to do.:bowdown:

gr8erdane
03-22-2008, 05:40
I'm ashamed I hadn't noticed this thread before. Where the heck have all you Colorado bourbonians been for the past year and a half since I moved out here? I'm in Longmont, live by myself with all my children, Booker, Baker, Weller, George T,....

A couple of weeks ago I hosted a small tasting for Traver (Rake) and Jeremy (Dr. Francois) and would happily host another sometmie if you feel like slumming all the way out to Longmont. I keep a bottle or two on hand for visitors you know...

For those of you in deep south Denver I've been to Davidsons and they do have a decent selection. Even farther south in Castle Rock is Bubbles Party House or something like that where I found my first bottle of Colorado Stagg.

One thing I've found about Colorado, is that while it seems there's a liquor store on every block they all tend to stock the same bourbons. And for some reason they all seem to think that Southern Comfort is bourbon when they stock the shelves.

Knutzen
03-22-2008, 11:51
Dane, I've been too young to be drinking bourbon for the past year and a half! I'm up in Boulder, so Longmont ain't all that far a drive for me. I'd love to get together and share some bourbon with you guys.

Ryan
03-24-2008, 15:43
I'm ashamed I hadn't noticed this thread before. Where the heck have all you Colorado bourbonians been for the past year and a half since I moved out here? I'm in Longmont, live by myself with all my children, Booker, Baker, Weller, George T,....

A couple of weeks ago I hosted a small tasting for Traver (Rake) and Jeremy (Dr. Francois) and would happily host another sometmie if you feel like slumming all the way out to Longmont. I keep a bottle or two on hand for visitors you know...

Dane, I grew up Fort Lupton and know the Longmont area fairly well.

I just started drinking bourbon and would say my palette is JV (junior varsity) at best. However, I would like to do some tastings and meet some of the other Colorado bourbon drinkers.

RM High
03-25-2008, 18:43
Hey Ryan, I think my palate is JV as well. I just got done with some Woodford Reserve and I still like it. So far, I've tried Bookers, MM, Woodford Rerserve, and Russell's Reserve and I like them all. They all have subtle differences, but not one of them has tasted like swill. I mean, is there a bourbon out there that will just rock my world or will they all be just different shades of what I've already tried.

Hmmm, this could get expensive.:shocked:

gr8erdane
03-25-2008, 20:36
Sometime in the near future I hope to help you discover that with my next tasting. Just a matter of putting the right time together. And yes, it DOES get expensive. When I started I swore I'd never pay more than 45-50 bucks for a bottle. Luckily most fit into that category but I've paid much more on many occasions since. It's not a cheap hobby.

Ryan
03-27-2008, 13:20
Sometime in the near future I hope to help you discover that with my next tasting. Just a matter of putting the right time together.
I understand, working with peoples schedule is always the hardest part...

Ryan
03-27-2008, 13:21
Hmmm, this could get expensive.:shocked:

So far I have bought Makers's Mark 375ml (ofcourse), Woodford Reserve, WT101 (375ml), Weller Special Reserve (1L) and Buffalo Trace. For the most part have kept it under $25; besides the liter of WR which my wife urged me to get over the 750ml. I have eyed some $30-50 bottles, but haven't taken the plunge, yet.

It may not be any cheaper but, the Whiskey Bar in downtown Denver has 115 whiskeys including some PVW. I may stop by and try some pours before jumping in headfirst.

Here is their list of whiskeys: :grin:
http://whiskeybardenver.com/About.html

RM High
03-29-2008, 19:43
So far I have bought Makers's Mark 375ml (ofcourse), Woodford Reserve, WT101 (375ml), Weller Special Reserve (1L) and Buffalo Trace. For the most part have kept it under $25; besides the liter of WR which my wife urged me to get over the 750ml. I have eyed some $30-50 bottles, but haven't taken the plunge, yet.

It may not be any cheaper but, the Whiskey Bar in downtown Denver has 115 whiskeys including some PVW. I may stop by and try some pours before jumping in headfirst.

Here is their list of whiskeys: :grin:
http://whiskeybardenver.com/About.html

Tell ya what....if I get the job I want downtown, I'll meet ya there for a drink. This is my way of tempting fate **gotta get a job, gotta get a job**

Rake
03-31-2008, 00:59
I mean, is there a bourbon out there that will just rock my world or will they all be just different shades of what I've already tried.

Yes, there is. And chances are that Dane has a bottle of it. I just hope I'm right there next to you when he breaks it out at the next tasting.

That's all good stuff, but I'd urge you to try the Pappy 15 if you decide to take the plunge. The same goes for pretty much anything from the BTAC. I'm still developing that educated palate, I hope, but I think those are clearly a step above and well worth the additional cost.

Ryan
04-02-2008, 10:54
That's all good stuff, but I'd urge you to try the Pappy 15 if you decide to take the plunge. The same goes for pretty much anything from the BTAC. I'm still developing that educated palate, I hope, but I think those are clearly a step above and well worth the additional cost.

I nearly did take the plunge this weekend. I stopped by Davidson's after a game of frolf to look for some Ritt BIB and for the first time saw the BTAC, and the Van Winkle family. I was tempted to pick one up, but I don't think I would appreciate it as much as I should. I will wait a little while and let my palette develop a little more...

RM High
04-05-2008, 20:58
I just wanted the Coloradoans to know that we broke into a bottle of Stranahan's tonight and I was quite impressed. It has a fruity/spicy initial spike and doesn't linger as long as other whiskeys. However, I really like it!

gr8erdane
04-08-2008, 18:07
Must be a newer bottle than mine or maybe they are aging them a bit longer as time goes on. There is no fruit or spice in mine at all, and the raw young whiskey taste stuck to my palate like a famished leech. It might be better now but is still too expensive for what it is. Still, good luck to Mr Stranahan in his endeavor.

RM High
04-09-2008, 17:37
Must be a newer bottle than mine or maybe they are aging them a bit longer as time goes on. There is no fruit or spice in mine at all, and the raw young whiskey taste stuck to my palate like a famished leech. It might be better now but is still too expensive for what it is. Still, good luck to Mr Stranahan in his endeavor.

remember, I have a noob palate, so take my opinions w/ a grain of salt. That being said, I would have happily continued to drink it if it weren't taken from me.....:smiley_acbt:

Ryan
04-18-2008, 16:20
This thread has fulfilled its purpose and then some!

If you are from Colorado or have CO ties please join us in the Social section under BourbonCO!:grin: