PDA

View Full Version : Where's Your Dickel?

cowdery
03-09-2008, 01:55
Can you find any Dickel where you are? Or is your Dickel coming up short? I think we all know how uncomfortable that can be.

I spoke to Gene Song, brand manager at Diageo for Dickel and Bulleit. He said the shortage of Dickel No. 8 has not abated. They're still waiting for whiskey to be ready. The younger Cascade Hollow Recipe is selling well. They haven't decided whether or not the Cascade recipe will remain after they have sufficiently resupplied No. 8, but they certainly seem to be leaning in that direction.

As for the shortages of Dickel No. 12, that people have reported here and elsewhere, Song isn't willing to say there is an official shortage, but supplies are tight. Basically, Dickel has been enjoying its share of the bourbon boom. The surprising part is that it is not export-driven. Dickel is sold only in the USA.

So, any Dickel sightings where you are?

OscarV
03-09-2008, 05:42
I just saw some No. 12 yesterday.
I don't know if it is recent stock or if it has been sitting there awhile.
But I haven't seen any No. 8 in my area for a long long time.

smokinjoe
03-09-2008, 06:29
No obvious shortages in my haunts. I have seen much of all 3. Surprising is the amount of the Barrel Select I have seen--lots of it.

JOE

craigthom
03-09-2008, 06:34
I haven't seen a shortage of the No. 12, but I have seen a price increase.

I checked out the Cascade Hollow bottle. It sits on the shelf where the No. 8 did, and it's priced the same, and it looks a lot like it.

ThomasH
03-09-2008, 08:44
#8 disappeared from this area when the shortage was first announced. #12 has continuously been around since but took a 7.00 a bottle hike in price. Barrel Select has also been available since its relaunch and has also inched up in price since appearing on the market. No Cascade Hollow around here but will be getting a regular bottle and a mini (for my collection) next week when my parents travel through Va. Dickel isn't my favorite but will have one of each version on hand after next week!

Thomas

PAspirit1
03-09-2008, 09:29
Or is your Dickel coming up short? I think we all know how uncomfortable that can be.

I don't know anything about that situation but in Pennsylvania, The Dickel #12 and Barrel Select are available by special order. Due to added fees and having to order a certain number of bottles that special order process can be prohibitive to the casual buyer. I've checked out some stores in Delaware and Maryland over the last year and I've never seen the #8. I would estimate that I see the #12 about 65% of the time and I have only seen the barrel select in one store.

In that store the Barrel Select goes for 20$ and I'm starting to wonder if that is a must buy. I'm not really looking for any more Tennesee Whiskey but maybe thats too good of a deal to pass up. It's not however a must buy if the B.S. is not better than the #12.

Dave

spun_cookie
03-09-2008, 09:31
Plenty here in AZ. #12 deep on the shelves.

tango-papa
03-09-2008, 12:31
All three Dickel products (8, 12 and BS) are readily available in SE Texas.

~tp

SBOmarc
03-09-2008, 16:54
I see the 12 out here all the time. Not the same for the Cascade Hollow which I had never even heard of until this thread, any info other than the name?

ratcheer
03-09-2008, 16:58
The last time I noticed, there was plenty of the No 8 and No 12 Dickel, here, but none of the fancy bottling(s).

Tim

TBoner
03-09-2008, 18:37
Very little no. 8, except for some old dusties here and there. No. 12 is in about half the stores it should be, and Barrel Select I have never paid attention to, but I think there's some around.

I've seen no sign of Cascade Hollow yet.

bigtoys
03-09-2008, 22:37
Thought I saw a few bottles of Barrel Select the last time I was in Sam's Highland Park. When I got it last summer, I had to special order it from the Skokie Binny's store; the manager there is pretty good at special orders. Had it within a week.

TNbourbon
03-09-2008, 23:04
We've had no difficulty, thus far, stocking the #12 in all sizes. The #8 is gone to us -- only stores who stocked 'long' (including a local one, not far from me:grin:), has any available -- but the 3yo, age-stated Cascade Hollow has been the reliable substitute. Frankly, if anyone's noticed without my prompting, I'm unaware of it. I suspect that's what Diageo/Dickel intended.
I still see the original (flask bottle) Barrel Select here and there, the current anywhere that wants to stock it.

craigthom
03-10-2008, 07:40
If you see the No. 8 on the shelf, you aren't likely to see the Cascade Hollow until that runs out. It's the replacement.

It looks pretty much the same, except it has no 8 on it, it has some red on the label, and there's an age statement (on the side, I think).

sku
03-10-2008, 10:48
12 seems readily available in the LA area. No 8 though.

WhiskeyRiver
03-10-2008, 12:54
Haven't had any No. 8 in KC in months. I bought a 750 bottle of No. 12 last week for 18.99.

OscarV
03-11-2008, 16:02

After all this talk about Dickel I went back there and got me a bottle of that No. 12 today.

It is not in MI but I'd like to have a bottle of Cascade Hollow, (hint, hint, hint)

gr8erdane
03-13-2008, 05:14
I saw a few bottles of the barrel select in my regular liquor haunt this week but didn't pay any attention to any #8 or #12. Out here they tend to put bottles wherever they will fit...

nor02lei
03-13-2008, 14:25
No problem to get no 8 or 12 here in Europe. Barrel select is also available now if you are prepared to pay 100 euro + shipping from Germany.

Leif

cowdery
03-14-2008, 01:11
Any Dickel available in Europe is apparently gray market export, as Diageo's official position is that it is a US-only brand.

bigtoys
03-14-2008, 14:36
only a few bottles of #12 at Sam's HP today

nor02lei
03-14-2008, 16:32
Any Dickel available in Europe is apparently gray market export, as Diageo's official position is that it is a US-only brand.

I really wonder why they don’t want to launch it outside USA. Dammed good whiskey and a perfect “bridge” from single malt to American straight whiskey.

Leif

cowdery
03-15-2008, 15:05
Their unsuccessful attempt a decade ago to make it an international brand is why they pulled back. They pretty much left it alone for awhile to find its own level. Nothing lasts forever. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually do start some overseas distribution.

smokinjoe
08-20-2008, 21:42
I stopped in a store in Chattanooga, Tennessee today. I noticed that the "Cascade Hollow" Dickel now has a label that is Red in color, instead of the Black. I asked the store owner, and she said that it was just delivered this morning. She said that the Dickel rep stated that due to the "confusion" that the earlier label created, Dickel decided to change the label to the Red color. Maybe, confirmation that they intend on keeping the CH around after stocks of No. 8 are replenished?

JOE

barturtle
08-21-2008, 05:08
I stopped in a store in Chattanooga, Tennessee today. I noticed that the "Cascade Hollow" Dickel now has a label that is Red in color, instead of the Black. I asked the store owner, and she said that it was just delivered this morning. She said that the Dickel rep stated that due to the "confusion" that the earlier label created, Dickel decided to change the label to the Red color. Maybe, confirmation that they intend on keeping the CH around after stocks of No. 8 are replenished?

JOE

Ah, so my Black label Cascade Hollow is now a collectors item?:rolleyes:

smokinjoe
08-21-2008, 06:39
Ah, so my Black label Cascade Hollow is now a collectors item?:rolleyes:

:lol:

And, we know of course, that the black label CH is definitely better tasting. A more rich and flavorful pour, with a longer finish than the Red. :D

JOE

cowdery
08-21-2008, 15:46

And, we know of course, that the black label CH is definitely better tasting. A more rich and flavorful pour, with a longer finish than the Red. :D

JOE

Troublemaker!!! (I approve, by the way.)

TNbourbon
08-21-2008, 16:22

JOE
Well, the black-label CH is dreck, so I guess the new, younger red-label is just "Ecckk!"

cowdery
08-21-2008, 17:48
I haven't had it. Is it bad just for being young, or is there more than that wrong with it?

TNbourbon
08-21-2008, 18:06
I haven't had it. Is it bad just for being young, or is there more than that wrong with it?
It just tasted bad, Chuck, whether from youth (and I've had white dog and young-ish whiskey I liked) or some other factor. Fortunately, I don't have any left (I cooked it as marinade, drowned it in cola, etc.) by which to give a more exact description, and don't hope to buy any more.
I know at least one member here (who shall remain nameless unless s/he 'outs' oneself) tasted a recent sample of new-make #8 (not Cascade Hollow), and had pretty much the same impression. I think, in that case, it got dumped out.

Gillman
08-22-2008, 06:26
I had it once and felt it was young-tasting. It seemed not that all that different, from, say the current Ancient Age if you added a little Tennessee character to it. Good for mixing or cooking as Tim said, but not a sipper as I define it.

Gary

smokinjoe
08-22-2008, 08:25
Uh, guys, you're killing my market here...;) So listen up. Besides being EXTREMELY rare, it has been mentioned that the OLD black label CH may have been from stock that was from a long forgotten rick house at Dickel. Some have said that the flavor profile fits very closely with the revered cheesy, gold foil labeled WT12. Rumor also has it, that there might be a legal issue with the black label CH, that quite possibly could warrant a massive recall of bottles, not unlike the Ridgemont/Ridgeford Reserve controversy of years back. AND, if industry insiders are correct (and when haven't they proven to be), that the black labeled CH, undoubtably could be named "Whisk(e)y of the Year". I can't be certain, but a rating of "99" has been tossed about...

Are we CLEAR now??????

(Oh, BTW, if anyone should be looking for one of these treasured bottles, please PM me.)

JOE

Gillman
08-22-2008, 09:45
I'm not putting it down, just describing its character. If I could buy some I would. There are many whiskeys I buy that have a taste similar to what's described because I don't only like whiskey that tastes of old wood, maple sugar and ashes. I also like whiskey that is less mature than that because it has whiskey taste. Any rarity is a bonus.

Gary

jeff
08-22-2008, 11:30
Uh, guys, you're killing my market here...;) So listen up. Besides being EXTREMELY rare, it has been mentioned that the OLD black label CH may have been from stock that was from a long forgotten rick house at Dickel. Some have said that the flavor profile fits very closely with the revered cheesy, gold foil labeled WT12. Rumor also has it, that there might be a legal issue with the black label CH, that quite possibly could warrant a massive recall of bottles, not unlike the Ridgemont/Ridgeford Reserve controversy of years back. AND, if industry insiders are correct (and when haven't they proven to be), that the black labeled CH, undoubtably could be named "Whisk(e)y of the Year". I can't be certain, but a rating of "99" has been tossed about...

Are we CLEAR now??????

(Oh, BTW, if anyone should be looking for one of these treasured bottles, please PM me.)

JOE

I'm in for a case! :yum:

craigthom
08-22-2008, 11:56
Meijer in Louisville (and perhaps in their other locations) has the 750ml of No. 12 on sale for under $15.

smokinjoe
08-22-2008, 20:44
Troublemaker!!! (I approve, by the way.)
Thanks, Chuck.
As good an endorsement, as I could ever hope to receive! :D

:toast:

JOE

TBoner
08-31-2008, 16:52
I had two pours of Dickel No. 12 this afternoon, "07" stamped on the bottle. I bought them early this year from a store with known high turnover, so it is a recent bottling. It's absolutely fantastic: cocoa, a bit of nuttiness, and deliciously polished oak flavor dancing with a touch of spice. I would assume based on what I've read here that any 12 that's rolled out right now or in the last year would be the same or similar whiskey, and if that's the case, I need to buy more than the 5 bottles I have archived. This current 12 is the best Tennesse whiskey I've ever had (though admittedly I haven't tasted much vintage stuff), and it is among the finest American whiskey being produced today IMO. So, it appears from what I've read that any No. 12 that rolls out in the next year or more will still be from the stocks that have been sitting for a decade or so. If I'm wrong, let me know. In the meantime, I'm going back for more and more and more of this.

Regards,

funknik
10-02-2008, 11:36
I live in an area (Maine) that is fairly whiskey deficient as far as selection goes and I buy Dickel No. 12 regularly and haven't seen any interruption of supply (thank God!). Of course, it could be back stock, I don't know how popular it is.

cowdery
10-02-2008, 12:46
I can remember when Dickel was almost as common as Jack, but not anymore. That had nothing to do with the shortage. The brand has been foundering for years.

So, what do people up there drink?

BourbonJoe
10-02-2008, 21:21
Dickel may be foundering but I much prefer the No. 12 to Jack. It's just much better whiskey IMO.
Joe :usflag:

MJL
10-04-2008, 09:49
To be frank Dickel is one of my favorite brands and one I taste 5 times a week at the least. I think it is highly underrated, particularly considering the massive marketing campaign that Jack Daniels as seems to have on. If one has not tried some Dickel please do so. It has a nose that lingers in your nostrils, opens your sinuses and hangs in your memory.

TNVoodooChilli
10-04-2008, 11:08
I stopped by the store at Turkey Creek in Knoxville, TN and they had No. 8. No. 12, and the Cascade Hollow on hand. Picked up a bottle of the Cascade Hollow and find it to be pretty good, although I think I prefer the No. 8.

Personally, I think the Dickel is much better than the JD and a lot cheaper. It can stay a well-kept secret as far as I'm conerned: I like being able to find it on the shelves whenever I go looking for it.;)

funknik
11-02-2008, 11:41
I can remember when Dickel was almost as common as Jack, but not anymore. That had nothing to do with the shortage. The brand has been foundering for years.

So, what do people up there drink?

It's a lot of Jack & Beam -- but like everywhere most bars have Knob Creek and/or Maker's -- Basil Hayden is creeping into a lot of my local watering holes but too pricey to buy by the drink. It seems there's a lack of adventure up here -- bottles that I read about regularly in this forum (Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, Van Winkle) I have never seen or heard of and not for lack of trying.

MJL
11-02-2008, 12:06
I have great luck giving a local small liquor chain a "want" list. The buyer emailed me directly and has been pretty good at filling my wants.

cowdery
12-31-2008, 12:17
If you don't mind, how about a roll call. Who can presently find George Dickel No. 8 brand where they live? Recent sightings only, please.

Be sure to tell us where you are.

Bonus question: is George Dickel Cascade Hollow Recipe available there as well?

barturtle
12-31-2008, 12:50
If you don't mind, how about a roll call. Who can presently find George Dickel No. 8 brand where they live? Recent sightings only, please.

Yes, is the last couple weeks, in Louisville, both No.8 and Cascade.

marco246
12-31-2008, 13:08
I've seen no #8 nor Cascade here on the Big Island, but did score some #12 a couple of weeks ago.

OscarV
12-31-2008, 15:27
No #8 or CH in MI.

Tennessee Dave
12-31-2008, 15:45
Good supply of all Dickel products here in Chattanooga.

Dramiel McHinson
12-31-2008, 19:45
Here in North Alabama the #8 is making a comeback while the #12 is dwindling. The Barrel Select #2 with the squarish bottle and cream colored label is extremely rare. The Cascade Hollow is now showing up in a bright red label next to the Cascade Hollow black label. I had heard they were going to make a change to the Cascade Hollow so it wouldn't be mistaken for the #8. Maybe the fire engine red label is our best clue.

Attila
12-31-2008, 20:10
No Dickel ever sighted in Japan. Only been able to find it online, and then only at a half a dozen shops for twice what it goes in the States.

funknik
12-31-2008, 22:58
Chuck---plenty of #12 here in Maine, but no sign of #8.

polyamnesia
01-01-2009, 11:51
To be frank Dickel is one of my favorite brands and one I taste 5 times a week at the least. I think it is highly underrated, particularly considering the massive marketing campaign that Jack Daniels as seems to have on. If one has not tried some Dickel please do so. It has a nose that lingers in your nostrils, opens your sinuses and hangs in your memory.

maybe it's psychosomatic! someone mentions 'vitamins' and there goes the #12....good, but.......

i prefer (if doing the rare TN venture) the higher end JD.....(i like bananas):rolleyes:

shoshani
01-03-2009, 17:23
I have yet to see Dickel return to Chicagoland. But Chuck will already have known this...

kickert
01-05-2009, 13:42

I have only been to one store since you posted this. They had tons of Dickle 12, and tons of Dickle Cascade Hollow, and a few BS bottles, but the only 8 they had was in 50ml. The good thing is the 50ml are only $1.40 so I picked a few up to try.

kickert
01-05-2009, 15:08
I have only been to one store since you posted this. They had tons of Dickle 12, and tons of Dickle Cascade Hollow, and a few BS bottles, but the only 8 they had was in 50ml. The good thing is the 50ml are only $1.40 so I picked a few up to try.

I just tried these side by side. I like the 8 a whole heck of a lot better than the 12; although the 12 is more "bourbonesque" for me. With the 8 I got a flavor of warm bread with a hint of honey. With the 12 I found more burn and an almost menthol flavor.

Can someone help me out with the vitals here. I have seen the No 8 refered to as 8 years old and the 12 as 12 years old, but my bottles (minis) had no such statement. Is the 12 supposed to be older? How does dickle describe the differences (their website had no product info that I could find.)

funknik
01-05-2009, 15:29
I just tried these side by side. I like the 8 a whole heck of a lot better than the 12; although the 12 is more "bourbonesque" for me. With the 8 I got a flavor of warm bread with a hint of honey. With the 12 I found more burn and an almost menthol flavor.

Can someone help me out with the vitals here. I have seen the No 8 refered to as 8 years old and the 12 as 12 years old, but my bottles (minis) had no such statement. Is the 12 supposed to be older? How does dickle describe the differences (their website had no product info that I could find.)
I don't have any answers, Ben, but there seems to be a lot of divided opinion about these two bottles....many prefer the No 12, and it seems equally as many prefer the No 8 (I guess that's why both exist). To me the No 12 tastes like maple sugar and cocoa with no burn, just smooth sailing. I'd be really interested to try the No 8 when it gets back into production/circulation....if it's better than the 12, it'll become a staple in the Dennis household.

Hillbilly
01-06-2009, 12:47
Plenty of all four Dickel brands (8, 12, Cascade Hollow and barrel select) at the ABC store I work at part time here in North Carolina.

The 12 is my standard pour, but I just love the Barel Select.

craigthom
01-07-2009, 16:19
I stopped at Liquor World (I think) in Bardstown today. They had the Cascade Hollow, the 8, and the 12. The Cascade Hollow had the original black label with a little red text and was not only priced higher than the 8 but was a few cents more expensive than the 12!

chilidawg7
01-07-2009, 18:41
Only Dickel I saw at the local ABC today was the #12 and the Barrel Select

cowdery
01-07-2009, 20:04
Logically, they appear to be making sure they can keep their core markets supplied before they concern themselves with markets where Dickel is not big. Their core markets are primarily in the South.

unclebunk
01-08-2009, 11:58
I've only seen Dickel 12 in one liquor store in the Chicagoland area in the last year or so. Oddly, it is quite a bit easier for me to find in the Milwaukee area, so I usually pick up a few bottles when I go up there to visit relatives every few months.

smokinjoe
01-08-2009, 16:54
I was speaking with a retailer in Tennessee today who was carrying all of them, but no red label CH, yet. He moves a fair amount of all of them. The interesting thing he told me, was that for every case of #12 he buys, his distributor gives him a handle of #8 for free. Seems odd, to give something away free, that has been in short supply. :confused:

cowdery
01-08-2009, 17:44
It's not in short supply now and they really want to move people up to the #12.

Josh
01-09-2009, 09:13
It's not in short supply now and they really want to move people up to the #12.

Spent yesterday morning bugging local perveyors of spirits about #8 & CH, but ended up finding more bottles of OF from the 80's than Dickel, even the #12. The woman behind the counter of the place where I got my first (and last?) bottle of #8 had never heard of it. "Vut is dat? Dee-cuhl?"

Another guy who had three #12 bottles on the shelf he could try to order it for me, but that it was an obscure brand, and that's why he doesn't have any more of it. But since he said he was having trouble getting Van Winkle Lot B for another customer I am dubious.

rings
01-20-2009, 19:36
Finally found #12 in Michigan, but would love to know if anyone is seeing #8 or CH in the Great Lakes State or Chicagoland! Thanks!

sotnsipper
01-21-2009, 06:27
Here in Middle TN, you can find the #8,#12, and the "Cascade Hollow". All you could ever want. Of course, I am about 30 minutes from Cascade Hollow. Willing to help anyone out looking for Dickel. Also an abundance of JD around here. These are two staples in all liquor stores in this area.

funknik
01-24-2009, 16:08
Found a #8 at a tiny grocery store here in Maine, but I think it was restocked from somewhere else or accidentally found it's way there -- ME is a liquor control state and Dickel #8 is not on the list (Dickel #12, however, is but usually scarce). The #12s I buy all say "Bottled in Stamford, CT" but the #8 says "Bottled in Lawrenceburg, IN" and has a "5 cent Iowa Refund" sticker on it. I could find any stamp on the bottle or anything to indicate bottling the year. Wonder what the deal is.

cowdery
02-03-2009, 20:30
The official word is that Dickel only has enough whiskey to fully support the No. 8 expression in its eight core markets, which are Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.

That is the official answer Dickel is sending out in response to consumer inquiries, which was passed to me by someone who received it. They are not saying anything about when they expect to widen distribution.

They do mention that Dickel No. 12 and Dickel Barrel Select are not affected by the shortage and have national distribution.

Maddog918
02-03-2009, 21:57
Just FYI there is plenty of Dickel Now. I can even find it in California. I bought a bottle of Barrel Select the other day.

Maddog918
02-03-2009, 21:59
Number 12 is better than 8 anyway.

The Boozer
02-03-2009, 23:02
I don't know if it is recent stock or if it has been sitting there awhile.
But I haven't seen any No. 8 in my area for a long long time.

OscarV: Where is the State of MI did you find #8. They sell #12 but never seen #8.
TJ

OscarV
02-04-2009, 18:02
OscarV: Where is the State of MI did you find #8. They sell #12 but never seen #8.
TJ

I said I haven't seen any #8 in a long long time.
I do however remember buying it at Meijer's in the early '90's.
And it was around in a lot of stores back then.

cowdery
02-04-2009, 18:15
There is a relationship between this and what Constellation is doing with Ten High. All of the producers only have so much whiskey to sell, so they're selling it where it's most profitable. Dickel is keeping Barrel Select and No. 12 fully supported because they're more profitable. For No. 8 they're limiting distribution to their biggest markets. No. 8 is less profitable, but they can save some money and improve its profitability by concentrating distribution in a few key markets.

ThomasH
02-04-2009, 20:28
Dickel #12 and Barrel Select are widely available in Ohio right now. #8 hasn't been around since the shortage started. #8 750's weren't a big seller but stores would sell out of 1.75's as fast as they could get them. I have bottles of all 4 versions, including the Cascade Hollow, although my Select bottle is from the BHC!

Thomas

The Boozer
02-04-2009, 22:18
I said I haven't seen any #8 in a long long time.
I do however remember buying it at Meijer's in the early '90's.
And it was around in a lot of stores back then.

You got me excited there for a minute! Something new to try.
Maybe we should organize a road trip to like Chicago and raid Binny's or Sam's.
TJ

cowdery
02-05-2009, 13:11
You're always welcome, but there's no No. 8 here either.

Josh
02-06-2009, 08:23
You got me excited there for a minute! Something new to try.
Maybe we should organize a road trip to like Chicago and raid Binny's or Sam's.
TJ

Let's make it Tony's house instead. Closer and better selection. I'll bring my battering ram.

dean_martin
02-09-2009, 11:56
The Alabama ABC has a price list for download at its site. The price list (from Nov. '08) lists Old no. 8, No. 12 and Cascade Hollow. That doesn't mean all three can be found in all state stores. But, I have located the store in my region that stocks everything on the list and then some. All 3 were there this weekend. I think I saw the two different Cascade Hollow labels - 1) black w/"Cascade Hollow" in red and 2) red. Is the whiskey the same in each?

JD used to be one of my regulars. I'l looking forward to trying the Dickel, but I'm immersed in bourbon at the moment.

cowdery
02-09-2009, 13:09
Yes, the two Cascade Hollow labels are the same whiskey. They launched CH when there was no No. 8, so they made CH look like No. 8 so people would confuse them. Then, when No. 8 came back, they changed CH to red, so people would not confuse them. Confused?

barturtle
02-09-2009, 13:34
The pricing is highly variable on the GDCH too. I've seen it priced below No.8, inbetween No.8 and No.12 and priced higher than No.12...

dean_martin
02-09-2009, 13:41
Yes, the two Cascade Hollow labels are the same whiskey. They launched CH when there was no No. 8, so they made CH look like No. 8 so people would confuse them. Then, when No. 8 came back, they changed CH to red, so people would not confuse them. Confused?

Thanks. Is that going to be on the test?

unclebunk
02-09-2009, 14:37
I found only one store in Chicagoland that had a dozen or so bottles of Dickel 12 and I've been pecking away at them for several months now but was disappointed to discover that somebody else found my stash, as they all disappeared last week. Bummer! I don't go nuts over Dickel 12 like some folks but when I want something light and refreshing it's always a nice choice.

sotnsipper
02-13-2009, 13:38

Most of the stores I have seen the red and black CH bottles in keep them separated so not to confuse. The labels are very similar though with cascade hollow and No.8 being the only difference on the bottom of the label.

GOCOUGS2002
02-13-2009, 15:05
There are 10 or so bottles of No. 8 in downtown San Antonio, other than that I haven't seen it anywhere else.

ILLfarmboy
02-20-2009, 20:36
There may be a dearth of Dickel in the Chicagoland area but there's plenty No. 12 around here. I picked up a bottle of the No. 12 today. (I payed $22 somthin') Having some right now...........

I haven't seen any No. 8 for a couple years........ Never even seen the Cascade Hollow

Josh
03-23-2009, 10:31
Saw the Cascade Hollow @ Liquour Barn in Louisville (black and red bottles), but most surprising was that I saw more #8 than I have ever seen in Covington KY. I even found a place with four handles of the stuff.

I can personally confirm that the Cork & Bottle off of I-75 in Covington is now completely out of #8.:grin:

funknik
03-23-2009, 10:42
I can personally confirm that the Cork & Bottle off of I-75 in Covington is now completely out of #8.:grin:
Nice work, Josh!

Josh
03-23-2009, 10:53
Nice work, Josh!

Thanks! but I had help :grin: . I saw the handles after we left C & B and went into another place looking for something else. I wanted to get them, but I had already spent too much. They continue to haunt me.
:smil41df29a15fb35:

Lost Pollito
03-23-2009, 11:50
I found only one store in Chicagoland that had a dozen or so bottles of Dickel 12 and I've been pecking away at them for several months now but was disappointed to discover that somebody else found my stash, as they all disappeared last week. Bummer! I don't go nuts over Dickel 12 like some folks but when I want something light and refreshing it's always a nice choice.
It's (#12) finally showing up again in Chicagoland. Looks to be back at full strength with respect availability.

funknik
03-23-2009, 11:53
Dickel No.12 is becoming increasing rare around these parts. Or rather, there are large periods of time between restocking. At $14 people tend to jump all over it and then it disappears for a month. I have a couple off-the-beaten-path haunts that I can hit up if need be, of course, just don't ask me where. :grin:

Maddog918
03-24-2009, 15:46
I was at the George Dickel distillery in June. I was able to get a bottle of #12 and a bottle of the Barrel Select. the Barrel Select is such a good whisky. I did find some Dickel here in Califonia last spring. Haven't seen any since.

Josh
03-25-2009, 11:52
I was at the George Dickel distillery in June. I was able to get a bottle of #12 and a bottle of the Barrel Select. the Barrel Select is such a good whisky. I did find some Dickel here in Califonia last spring. Haven't seen any since.

I whole-heartedly agree. The GDBS is the best TN I've ever had. We seem to be getting some new (to us) stuff here in MI recently, hopefully Barrel Select is on the way!

squire
03-29-2009, 15:29
Fortunately, being in a target State, Dickel has always been available.

sku
03-29-2009, 16:13

I was at one of our better LA area liquor stores this weekend and they had Dickel No. 12 and Barrel Select.

cowdery
03-29-2009, 18:07
The shortage and now limited distribution has been a Dickel No. 8 (black label) issue only.

There is also curiosity about the extent of the Cascade Hollow Recipe (red label) distribution.

There ostensibly have been only sporadic shortages of No. 12 and none, that I know of, of Barrel Select.

Maddog918
03-29-2009, 20:47
Sku,
What liquor store did you Find Dickle at?
Brian

sku
03-29-2009, 22:40
Sku,
What liquor store did you Find Dickle at?
Brian

Wine & Liquor Depot in Van Nuys, but I've seen it other places. As Chuck said, there's no shortage of the number 12 or the Barrel Select. I'm pretty sure I've seen the Number 12 at BevMo as well and at K&L in Hollywood.

augustgarage
03-30-2009, 22:28
Wine & Liquor Depot in Van Nuys, but I've seen it other places. As Chuck said, there's no shortage of the number 12 or the Barrel Select. I'm pretty sure I've seen the Number 12 at BevMo as well and at K&L in Hollywood.

...I've seen the 12 all over lately, and at least one place I know of has a big stash of the barrel select as well, though I've only been to one store this month that had the 8 (and only one bottle of it).

sku
03-31-2009, 09:43
...I've seen the 12 all over lately, and at least one place I know of has a big stash of the barrel select as well, though I've only been to one store this month that had the 8 (and only one bottle of it).

You had an 8 sighting? Where was that?

Maddog918
03-31-2009, 11:55
Aug,
Kick down! Let us know where these places are.

augustgarage
03-31-2009, 13:29
K&L Hollywood has at least 5 bottles of the Barrel Select. They have a couple bottles of #12 left as well. Not to be unsportsmanlike, but I'd rather not reveal my "dusty spots" - however, if you want the #8, check Manhattan Fine Wines (http://www.manhattanfinewines.com) in Manhattan Beach.

TonyDVC
05-13-2009, 11:06
Its on the shelves here in northeast IN. (Ft. Wayne) I just bought some No. 12 and I like it much better the JD black. Tony DVC

funknik
06-15-2009, 10:50
Nowhere to be found -- HELP!!! Usually there are three stores I can go to & get Dickel No.12 . . . one is often out and the other two almost always have some . . . I've been stopping into my local haunts every Friday (delivery day) for four weeks now and haven't seen a single bottle! People must be getting wise to this great deal ($13.99!).

Hopefully this shortage will be rectified soon and I can stock up . . . I'll buy at least three bottles to give myself some peace of mind...

...and piece of Dickel.

OscarV
06-15-2009, 15:16
Dickel No.12 . .

People must be getting wise to this great deal ($13.99)

Are you serious?
Dickel 12 for $13.99?
It's around 24 bucks here.

funknik
06-15-2009, 16:22
Are you serious?
Dickel 12 for $13.99?
It's around 24 bucks here.
Totally -- apparently it's too good of a deal . . . sonofabitch!!!

Geez how much is JD there?

OscarV
06-15-2009, 16:26
Geez how much is JD there?

I don't have a clue!:grin:

funknik
06-15-2009, 21:03
I don't have a clue!:grin:
Good answer. . . .

shoshani
07-23-2009, 17:34
Dickel 12 has finally made its triumphant return to the Chicagoland area. And so I picked up a bottle because I'd never tried it but I hear good things about it.

Seems light, sweetish and a bit citrus-y. It's different from the style I usually drink, but not in a bad way at all. I had to let Baby Saz grow on me; this will definitely grow on me as well.

Nosed in the bottle, it gives a very strong note of brewer's yeast, of all things. :)

shoshani
07-23-2009, 20:56
Oh, speaking of Dickel....where exactly is it aged and bottled?

I'd have assumed at the distillery, but the bottom of the label says "Bottled by George Dickel & Co, Stamford, CT".

Is it really shipped to Connecticut to be bottled?

cowdery
07-23-2009, 21:28
It's aged in Tullahoma. It's bottled wherever Diageo has bottling capacity that week. For a while, it was being bottled in Canada.

BourbonJoe
07-24-2009, 05:37
It's aged in Tullahoma.

That's not the only place. I've seen MANY Dickel barrels ageing in the warehouses at Stitzel-Weller in Shively.

birdman1099
08-05-2009, 17:08
I came across a stash of 1.75 old #8's. Is there a way to date these???

I know of a shortage of the #8.... could these be a new batch???

Any info is appreciated.

birdman1099
08-06-2009, 17:42
well, I just found a whole lot more..... I guess there is no shortage after all !!!:grin:

ILLfarmboy
08-07-2009, 21:25
I've noticed the number of places I can usually find Dickel 12 have dwindled some in the last couple months. It may mean nothing....but It could mean something....

nor02lei
08-08-2009, 02:53
Here in Europe were we have had no 8 for sale in all online stores all the time and still, it seem that no 12 of some reason have started to drain out. I don’t know why, but my guess is that nobody is importing it at the moment. A bit odd as the 3-year has started to show up just recently.

Leif

birdman1099
08-08-2009, 06:45
i can actually find a lot more #8's that the 12's. I haven't seen any of the Cascade Hollow...

sku
09-08-2009, 22:27
I noticed today that one of our SoCal liquor stores now has Dickel #8, first time I've seen it in recent memory. Now, how does it compare to the beloved #12?

Josh
09-09-2009, 12:12
I noticed today that one of our SoCal liquor stores now has Dickel #8, first time I've seen it in recent memory. Now, how does it compare to the beloved #12?

I like it a little better than the #12 but they're both worth picking up. And both better than JD Black Label.

Martian
09-14-2009, 13:47
No. 12, CH, and BS are readily available in Dallas. I've not seen No. 8 in two or three years. By the way, just when I have come to expect and even appreciate the "chocks" taste of No. 12, it was gone from the bottle I bought last week. No. 12 is one of my favorite whiskeys at any price. BS is also excellent and unusual.

ILLfarmboy
10-02-2009, 16:10
Dickel 12 finaly made a re-apearance at the Milan Hy-Vee. I picked up a bottle along with a Weller Antique.

Unfortunately, I've lost the receipt. I left it at the Hy-Vee gas station (they offer a discount if you produce a receipt from the grocery store) I absent mindedly left it on the counter. But I'm sure the price for the Dickel 12 was 21 dollars and change. That's cheaper than what I payed the last time, not by much, a buck or two if I remember correctly. A pleasant surprise.

jburlowski
10-02-2009, 19:30
It seems to have reappeared in quantity locally (No KY) as well.

sku
10-02-2009, 23:56
I've now seen the 8 at two or three stores in Southern California. It's definitely back in the area.

camduncan
10-03-2009, 14:18
I've got a Dickel 12 on the bar waiting to be opened..... Unfortunately the open Barrel Select is nearly gone though.
It's not available here....these were bottles imported from the US, so when they go, there's no more unless I order from Binnys or such again :smiley_acbt:

Josh
10-03-2009, 14:24
I've got a Dickel 12 on the bar waiting to be opened..... Unfortunately the open Barrel Select is nearly gone though.
It's not available here....these were bottles imported from the US, so when they go, there's no more unless I order from Binnys or such again :smiley_acbt:

No sign of the #8 around here, but #12 is full effect. I think the 8 is gone from MI for good. :(

OscarV
10-03-2009, 15:13
This thread inspired me to have a splash of #12.
It is better than the last time I had it but I had a few bourbons before hand then.
Right now it is quite alive and refreshing, my first drink of the day.
I'm not getting any of the "vitamin" smell or taste.
Smokey oak nose with a hint of medicine.
A little sweet corn and oak taste, nice.
Dry medium finish with a little leather.
I think George and I are going to spend Saturday night together.

George
10-17-2009, 13:15
I opened my first ever bottle of No. 12. I now get the comments I've read about a "vitamin" nose/taste. I notice it.

I like this TN whiskey. I bought the bottle a while back, and I think I paid $21 or $22. Seems like a decent bargain, and I'll probably get another bottle down the road.

wadewood
10-17-2009, 16:22
I bought a BHC Dickell for $23.99 this week.

Josh
10-17-2009, 16:32
I bought a BHC Dickell for $23.99 this week.

I hate you wade.:lol:

p_elliott
10-22-2009, 12:39
Not that I drink it but we have both the 8 and the 12 in Maryville MO just 38 miles south of me.

ThomasH
10-24-2009, 19:11
Dickel #8 haqs been available again here since sometime this summer. If the bourbon ghetto is getting it, evidently it is plentiful. If anyone is still suffering a drought, PM me and I'll send reinforcements!

Notorious TMH

funknik
10-31-2009, 11:17
Although I have never seen it here before (except one bottle that I think was misplaced with an Iowa refund sticker), two Dickel #8s were sitting on the shelf at my local liquor store yesterday when I went in, sitting right next to my beloved Dickel #12. I was very alarmed and not at all pleased . . . the reason is this:

Dickel #12 is $13.99 here which is a very nice (maybe even incorrect) price . . . I usually see it for around $23 other places. The Dickel #8 was priced @ $19.99! I don't know what it usually goes for, but I had assumed between $12-15 . . . what concerns me is that the local liquor control will recognize their potential mispricing of the #12 and update it - - therefore instead of buying a #8 (which I've been wanting to try again), I picked up two #12s and may very well go back for the rest . . .

Thoughts?

Josh
10-31-2009, 12:05
Although I have never seen it here before (except one bottle that I think was misplaced with an Iowa refund sticker), two Dickel #8s were sitting on the shelf at my local liquor store yesterday when I went in, sitting right next to my beloved Dickel #12. I was very alarmed and not at all pleased . . . the reason is this:

Dickel #12 is $13.99 here which is a very nice (maybe even incorrect) price . . . I usually see it for around $23 other places. The Dickel #8 was priced @ $19.99! I don't know what it usually goes for, but I had assumed between $12-15 . . . what concerns me is that the local liquor control will recognize their potential mispricing of the #12 and update it - - therefore instead of buying a #8 (which I've been wanting to try again), I picked up two #12s and may very well go back for the rest . . .

Thoughts?

The owner of your local liquor store is suffering from demensia, that's my thought. That is a great price on the #12. It's $22 state min here. I don't remember exactly what the #8 went for when it was available here, but it was around $15.

funknik
10-31-2009, 12:25
The owner of your local liquor store is suffering from demensia, that's my thought. That is a great price on the #12. It's $22 state min here. I don't remember exactly what the #8 went for when it was available here, but it was around $15.
Well, we're a control state -- Dickel #12 is $13.99 everywhere you can find it.

gblick
10-31-2009, 12:49
Maybe since the #8 is being replaced with Cascade Hollow, he thinks he has something rare and jacked up the price.

funknik
10-31-2009, 13:08
Maybe since the #8 is being replaced with Cascade Hollow, he thinks he has something rare and jacked up the price.
Once again, one corporation controls all of the liquor sales & prices in Maine: The Maine Beverage Company . . . I just checked the price list and Dickel #8 has indeed been added . . . check it out here . . .

http://www.state.me.us/dafs/bablo/docs/aug09-prod-list.csv

hopefully they won't catch onto how dumb they're being . . .(oh, and of course, they're listed as 12yr & 8yr . . . idiots . . .)

nor02lei
11-07-2009, 03:34
[quote=TNVoodooChilli;141745] Picked up a bottle of the Cascade Hollow and find it to be pretty good, although I think I prefer the No. 8.

quote]

I do agree that CH is pretty good and almost as good as no 8. I did have a side by side with these 2 yesterday. CH was slightly thinner in general and had a little less fruit flavours but was good as all Dickels are and very, very smooth despite being only 3 years old.

Leif

funknik
11-16-2009, 14:39
When I revisited my local store, the entire stock of both #8 & #12 was gone, so I went to another place that usually carries the Dickel. Sure enough, they had the #8, too @ $19.99 and, sadly, my fears were confirmed when I saw the price tag for the #12 was now $18.99. :cry: Glad I bunkered when I did, hope 5 bottles is enough to last me for a while . . . If I see this anywhere for $13.99 again, I'm grabbing it.

theDon
11-22-2009, 08:18
Forgot to include these on my stash post. I found these a couple of years ago. They are all 1984. I have been searching for the 1.75 to complete the set. I found 1 from the 80's, but it did not have the plastic wrap around the cap and the cap looked cracked, so I left it. If anyone has the 1.75, I would be willing to trade. It doesn't have to be an 84, just the 80's or late 70's/early 90's, something like that.:grin:

spun_cookie
11-22-2009, 10:07
Don,
That is good juice to. I have a few of these I found in Tucson and they are quite good... I gave a few to timOthy... I can see why he likes them...

theDon
11-22-2009, 10:21
It is good, I had a couple that I drank. I did have a bad experience with an early 90's Ducks Unlimited No. 12 bottle though that was awful. I later saw a full one sell for $180 on Ebay and I could have kicked myself for drinking it. I later sold the empty bottle for $50. I guess there are some crazy Dickel collectors out there too just like the Jack freaks.

ethangsmith
12-28-2009, 14:08
Lots of #12 tan label on the shelves down in Maryland. None in any of the "state stores" here in crappy PA.

The Boozer
02-02-2010, 09:40
Cascade Hollow has made the MI list but have not seen in any stores. Sounds like its a replacement for #8, but not quite as good. Younger and lower proof than #12. Younger than the old #8? Welcome any tasting comments?
TJ

Josh
02-02-2010, 09:42
Cascade Hollow has made the MI list but have not seen in any stores. Sounds like its a replacement for #8, but not quite as good. Younger and lower proof than #12. Younger than the old #8? Welcome any tasting comments?
TJ

The tasting comments I've seen on Cascade Hollow are that it's crap, really bad, so I've avoided it when I've seen it in IN and KY. If you want some #8 I know where there's some on 8 mile in Detroit.:grin:

BourbonJoe
02-02-2010, 17:28
Lots of #12 tan label on the shelves down in Maryland. None in any of the "state stores" here in crappy PA.

Oh but they once sold it in PA. Just another victim of the wine culture in PA.

Cmurfs73
02-04-2010, 18:36
TJ

it was a replacement to # 8 a couple of years ago because they ran out of juice. i am sure it was just another marketing ploy by diageo because that is what they do...

Lost Pollito
02-04-2010, 21:57
Dickel is gone again in Chi-town. Where the hell did it go? I'm not a fan, but it moves out way to quick. Who took it?:grin:

Josh
02-05-2010, 05:01
Cascade Hollow has started showing up in MI, I saw it in a couple stores in a couple different areas this week. Still didn't spring for any. I may eventually get one. Thinking of having a Tennesee Whiskey tasting sometime soon and it might make an appearence.

BBQ+Bourbon
02-08-2010, 17:42
I was at an upstart bar in Parkville this past Saturday and the only bourbons availabe were WT101 and Dickel Barrel Select. Not being a fan of WT, I ordered a pour of the Dickel. That is a bourbon I would have passed up if it weren't for the bar, but it's very tasty, simple juice. Knowing that it's $20 a bottle I feel like a fool paying $6.50 a pour, but it's quite good. Next bottle I see is coming home with me.

smokinjoe
02-08-2010, 18:42
I was at an upstart bar in Parkville this past Saturday and the only bourbons availabe were WT101 and Dickel Barrel Select. Not being a fan of WT, I ordered a pour of the Dickel. That is a bourbon I would have passed up if it weren't for the bar, but it's very tasty, simple juice. Knowing that it's $20 a bottle I feel like a fool paying $6.50 a pour, but it's quite good. Next bottle I see is coming home with me.

I agree with you, BBQ. It is quite good. I have always seen the Dickel Barrel Select priced minimally in the lo-mid $30's. So, if you like it, and can get it at $20, you should buy extras.

BBQ+Bourbon
03-06-2010, 10:05
I agree with you, BBQ. It is quite good. I have always seen the Dickel Barrel Select priced minimally in the lo-mid $30's. So, if you like it, and can get it at $20, you should buy extras.
So far, the only bottle of Barrel Select I found was $40. It might make a good gift for my dad since he's a JD fan but it's not worth that to me. Hopefully it would keep him from drinking Crown Royal for a while :shithappens:

Dramiel McHinson
03-06-2010, 12:54
I am seeing No. 8, No. 12 and the black and red label Cascade Hollow here in North Alabama in sufficient numbers. I have to go to the distillery to get the Barrel Select #1 and #2.

Even though I live only 45 minutes from the three Tennessee distilleries, I can never count on proximity as a means of ample supply. Few distributors enjoy doing business with Alabama and so our selection is limited mostly to high volume best sellers. Still....some good stuff in small numbers makes it through from time to time.

Josh
04-03-2010, 13:56
In Michigan, we just got our Dickel back.

#8 is back on the state list, few weeks after the first appearence of Cascade Hollow on Michigan shelves near me.